Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Web Browser

I'm looking into using a new browser and dumping Google Chrome and I was just wondering what everyone here used.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2020 7:49 PM

Opera. On Windows and on Android. Very fast with some built in privacy features. And on Android it does automatic text reflow when you zoom in or out.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2020 9:43 PM

I've been a Firefox user since ~2006.

Before that, I'd switch between Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator.

When Chrome came onto the scene, I could never vibe with it. Firefox was so much more customizable.

Nowadays, there really isn't any big difference between the major browsers. Hell, even Microsoft Edge is really decent these days. MS should have given Internet Explorer this facelift a decade ago.

What's your issue with Chrome?

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2020 9:55 PM

Brave is great and fast it also defeats all of the 'You are using an AdBlocker' messages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2020 10:01 PM

Oh. She's looking into a new browser.

Christ. These people.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2020 11:27 PM

I have always used Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2020 11:28 PM

Microsoft Edge is probably the most vulnerable browser to being Hijacked. I avoid it like the plague, if any Malware gets in it is almost impossible to remove without a complete PC Reset.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 1:41 AM

Firefox is the most secure browser

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 1:49 AM

MS edge is based off Google Chrome, so is brave. Just get firefox.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 1:49 AM

If I could get Firefox to look like Chrome I'd use it but the sub menu after sub menu thing is annoying, is Brave easy to set up and use?

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 3:34 AM

I use Firefox on windows and Naked Browser Pro on Android

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 3:37 AM

Firefox gave me some issues with streaming, so I went back to my Chrome based browser.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 4:05 AM

What is this? Is it 2009 all over again?

Wake up. Browsers don't matter anymore, and the difference between then is now negligible.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 4:16 AM

r6

So is any browser. If you get any infection the wise thing is reinstall. It only take 20 minutes or less

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 4:40 AM

Has anybody tried Vivaldi? It's pretty feature rich on Windows. But to my knowledge it's not available for Android or iOS, only as beta.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 12:24 PM

Brave just downloads and installs like Chrome, default settings seem fine. I tend to use it mainly on sites that try to get you to switch AdBlockers off, it seems to beat all of their efforts.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 2:14 PM

A few months back I had left Firefox after many years. it was mainly due to the problem I was having with my favorite page zoom app that started causing the opening of web pages to greatly lag after a past FF update. I went to Vivaldi, which I liked and still do. But Firefox has always had the perfect mix of options for me that made it my favorite. Well, low and behold about 3 weeks back I decided to give FF another try to see if the page zoom app I loved so much was still causing problems. And it's not. Something somewhere got fixed in a FF update since I uninstalled it. So, I'm happily back to Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 2:30 PM

Firefox with a carefully chosen set of extensions: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, Privacy Badger (among others)

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 3:42 PM

You guys all seem kind of dumb really.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 3:57 PM

Chromium Portable is much much better than Chrome. But Firefox Portable is the best on Windows 10.

But on Android phone, I would use Opera Mini and Firefox Lite as I always have two browsers, just in case.

PS. Chromium Portable 32-bit will be light on your old PC though. I'm using Rob Rich release here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 4:15 PM

What's the advantage of Portable?

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 4:20 PM

Mozilla Firefox is my favourite browser

Vivaldi browser I use for sites requiring Flash and JavaScript

Tor Browser I use when I need to minimize or extinguish my "fingerprint"

Firefox Focus for my mobile phone

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 4:24 PM

I use Chrome on both the laptop and mobile phone. It's gotten better behaved over time.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 6:31 PM

What about that Duck something browser?

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 9:05 PM

My god, uBlock Origin is too good to be true, get it if you don't have it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2020 3:42 AM

Another Brave vote, it's great.

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 3:44 AM

uBlock Origin failed to block Promoted Tweets on Twitter for me an hour ago. I'm sure Twitter has changed something.

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 3:48 AM

Brave, here. I thought I'd give it try months ago and if it's possible to love a browser, then I do.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 4:44 AM

R23 duckduckgo

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 5:08 AM

Oh yeah that's it. Thanks R28. The name had slipped my mind. I wondered whether or not if duckduckgo was a good browser.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 5:18 AM

Brave is just Google Chrome with a different name, just like Vivaldi.

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 11:45 AM

so is microsoft edge now. They are all based on Chromium.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 9:49 PM

I used Firefox for a long time and just recently switched to Brave because it has even more privacy features than Firefox AND all the compatibility with Chrome extensions without having to log in to Big G.

But DL's mobile site continues to render horribly, nevertheless.

by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote]MS edge is based off Google Chrome, so is brave. Just get firefox.

So much misinformation.

Chromium is the open source project. Anyone can take it,, use it and make it their own. Google uses CHROMIUM to make CHROME. Not the other way around. Brave uses CHROMIUM to make its browser.

Duck Duck Go is a search engine. They use Google's bot to get the results then filter them differently from Google and they say they do not collect the data Google does.

Chromium uses the "Blink Engine" to power Chromium. Blink is a "fork" of Webkit, which was used to power things like Amazon's Kindle ebook, old version of Chrome and old versions of Safari

Firefox uses Gecko to power it's browsers. Microsoft uses to use Trident to power Edge and Explorer. Opera used to use Presto.

Since the iPhone it's no longer economically feasible to develop your own browser engine, even Microsoft quit trying. Browsers used to have stable "rules" but this long since vanished.

So when you pick a Browser, you need to look at more than just the name. If you are concerned about privacy, I suggest going to the privacy subreddit. Link below, they will tell you about various types of browsers and settings and levels of privacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2020 7:21 PM

I stopped using Chrome when they banned the ad-blocking add-ons.

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2020 7:28 PM

Chrome is a data-mining operation. It catalogs every since file on your hard drive and any attached drives. You'd have to be an idiot to use it.

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2020 7:40 PM

I have used most of them from time to time but I seem to keep coming back to Firefox, but with any browser to need to experience it for a while, learn how it works. If you just try any of them once you most likely would prefer what you are use to.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2020 8:02 PM

I switched back to Firefox a couple years ago after a few years of Chrome. Firefox is just it for me. It runs, it's completely unobtrusive, and it's easy to customize. I think Chrome ran a little bit faster on my android, but I was fed up with Chrome's updates fucking up my default settings all the time.

by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2020 8:15 PM

r26 no it's uBlockOrigin. Read the negative (1 star) reviews. They've completely sold out now, like AdBlock & AdBlockPlus did. AdBlock used to be an excellent add-on, with easy & customizable filter settings. It's impossible to use now, just shit.

If anyone knows of current, free privacy add-ons that act like ABP used to, please, please LMK. I've searched & can't find any.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2020 7:57 PM

If I could get Firefox to list bookmarks like Chrome I'd switch, someone up thread here said there was a way to do that but when asked how they never replied.

by Anonymousreply 39May 13, 2020 7:36 AM

I have found that every browser fails or hangs on particular sites or tasks. This might be due to my add-ons or security settings, though I have tried hard to identify the problems. I now use three different browsers as needed - Firefox, Waterfox and Opera. Waterfox is based on Firefox 56, so allows you to use add-ons which do not function on updated Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2020 9:41 AM

Safari on Mac

Firefox or Edge on Windows

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2020 9:51 AM

R39 what do you mean, exactly? You want the bookmarks in Firefox to be in folders across - like below the address bar?

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2020 9:55 AM

Two things I don't like about Firefox it puts your "most viewed" sites right on the front page unless you disable it and the bookmarks are all listed together so trying to put them into subject folders forces you to go into submenus which gets annoying.

by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote]You want the bookmarks in Firefox to be in folders across - like below the address bar?

I hate the B word but, Jesus, that's the most Boomer sentence I've read on this site.

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2020 5:13 PM

Some sites just don't work with Firefox, so I need 2 browsers on Windows 10: Firefox Portable and Chromium Portable. Try Chromium Portable and you'll like it better than Chrome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2020 5:18 PM

You guys got me excited over Brave, but half the sites I visit, DL included, don't work on it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2020 5:33 PM

DL works fine for me on Brave.

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2020 6:30 PM

All I get is the header and footer. There's no list of threads and no place for me to log in.

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2020 6:34 PM

A-ha! It was some Chrome extensions that caused the issue! Now it works great.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2020 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!