Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Food Fights

On Datalounge are wonderful.

From Dukes to Hellman's to the proper way to cook pasta they have amused me for years.

Feel free to share your own food fight favorites or start a new one.

With this statement I concur: Raisins ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 236April 14, 2020 8:31 PM

Sugar or no sugar in tomato sauce for pasta?

Sugar, like raisins ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 10:35 AM

I do not put sugar in tomato sauce.

The DL Food Fighters I most want to punch in the face, though, are the ones who insist upon typing "veggies" instead of "vegetables," no matter how many times we let them know "veggies" is simply unacceptable, and that all they are doing when they type it is marking themselves as members of the moron class, not to be taken seriously in any issue related to food.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:11 PM

I’ll eat/swallow anything you put in front of my face. That said, hot sauce/peppers don’t belong in every Caribbean meal! Leave that to the Continental Latin Americans.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:14 PM

For decades, I was Team Hellman's.

Now, backstabbing, treacherous bitch that I am, I've jumped on the fence, become Switzerland, between the Forces of Hellman's and the Forces of Duke's.

Duke's seduced me. It really is lightly creamier and richer than Hellman's, but, I'm open to a rapprochement with Hellman's, if they'll have me.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:22 PM

And the other thing about condiments like mustart, ketchup and mayonaise. They add sugar to the big commercial brands. Dukes on the other hand does not add sugar to mayo.

you have to go out of your way to find sugar free condiments.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:27 PM

I love yellow mustard on a hot dog and some other things, but I can't stand that spicy brown mustard.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:35 PM

Lasagna! American vs true Italian.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:40 PM

"Lasagn[bold]e[/bold]" is true Italian, r7.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 12:49 PM

I heartily agree with OP regarding raisins.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 1:15 PM

Here's one of my favorite youtubers. She debunks cooking videos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 1:17 PM

Stop adding frozen peas in your white-sauce pasta dishes. It adds nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 1:32 PM

American cheese tastes and melts better than cheddar on sandwiches & burgers.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 1:34 PM

r5, now that you mention it, I do enjoy the slightly saltier flavor that Duke's has over Hellman's.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 1:37 PM

I don’t understand the love for duck. It’s just fatty pork.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 1:43 PM

No sugar in tomator sauce. I do however add red wine to my pasta sauce. Raisins,,,,,blech. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 1:50 PM

R14 And the fat is what makes is so profoundly delicious.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 2:02 PM

I hate quinoa, and I hate kale, and I hate cauliflower "rice" or "pizza crusts".

Spiralized vegetables taste like shit as a substitute for pasta.

No, you don't need to salt your pasta water. It really makes no difference.

Dumping scrambled eggs into a Ziploc bag along with some cheese, vegetables and meats, then submerging it in boiling water is not an "omelette".

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 2:08 PM

3/4 of a WW for r17. No salt in pasta water!?! INDEED!

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 2:18 PM

Sriracha sauce is entirely over-rated.

Dark brown french fries isn't a sign they were cooked in "seasoned" oil, it's a sign the restaurant is too cheap to change the oil in their fryers. They're cooking your fries in rancid oil with a bunch of dark brown sludge and sediment in the bottom of the fryer.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 2:25 PM

I agree R17. I hate the spaghetti squash subbing for pasta along with mashed cauliflower for potatoes. Just eat the real thing people. If you want a sweet eat something with sugar and not chemical laden artificial sweeteners and if you want dairy use full fat and real butter. All that "low fat" shit tastes like shit.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 2:26 PM

Raisins, like pineapple bits, are fantastic on their own. Combined with anything else, they are as bad raping puppies in front of Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 2:33 PM

And it’s full of shitty chemicals r20. Eating less of a real sweet made with real ingredients is better for you than chemical laden crap.

Also raisins should be banned by the Geneva Convention.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 2:35 PM

We got a delivery at work one day from a new cupcake place that had opened up around the corner. Along with the regular cupcakes they had one that were "keto". They tasted dry and flavorless. Sorry, but you need butter and fat for pastries. I don't care for cupcakes from bakeries though. Towers of pretty looking icing. I'd prefer a moist cake with a thin film of icing.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 2:49 PM

I don't even need the cake to be "moist," r23, which is kind of an artificial construct. I like my cakes to be made of flour, butter, sugar, eggs, flavorings, and leavening, most combinations of which result in a drier cake than Americans typically prefer. But like you, I scrape inch-high frosting right back onto the plate.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 2:59 PM

R17 You clearly need this, and need it badly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 3:03 PM

DRAIN YOUR FUCKING PASTA, YOU WHORES!

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 3:05 PM

I prefer Coke Zero to wine with my dinner.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote] Along with the regular cupcakes they had one that were "keto". They tasted dry and flavorless. Sorry, but you need butter and fat for pastries.

Keto allows butter and fat. It restricts sugar and flour (and carbs in general.)

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote]I hate the spaghetti squash subbing for pasta along with mashed cauliflower for potatoes.

I actually adore both of those vegetables, but they just are good substitutes for pasta.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 3:09 PM

All I know is it tasted like shit R28.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 3:09 PM

R27 just made an angel cry.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 3:10 PM

Velveeta is a good substitute for blue cheese in Rochefort dressing.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 3:11 PM

North Americans should try more dishes with plantains, both green and ripe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 3:12 PM

I don’t understand plantains at all.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 3:13 PM

r10, that dry bitch is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 3:16 PM

Plantains are eaten down here in the South, at least parts with large Hispanic populations.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 3:16 PM

Plantains are a great source of calories for manual labor people.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 3:18 PM

That VOICE, r10. No can do.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 3:18 PM

she's just a typical aussie sheila, mate!

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2020 3:24 PM

Well, she can sheila your mate, aussie!

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2020 3:25 PM

I like raisins in oatmeal cookies, oatmeal, and in sweet potato casserole. For the casserole, you soak them in sweet sherry until they bloat up like little blimps and then they add some value. I would say currants are even worse because they’re even smaller and harder.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2020 3:29 PM

R41, smaller and harder than a bad girl’s dream?

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2020 3:31 PM

Fried plantains are DELICIOUS!!

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 3:34 PM

I love this Durkee spread on my sandwiches! Does anyone here use this stuff?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 3:37 PM

I’ll put raisins in almost anything, though I once read there was raisin-hate here. I’d put them in raisin pudding; raisin bread; morning cereal; with bananas in particular but with any other fruit. If you put them in yogurt and let them sit for just a little while, they re-hydrate. Hard to go wrong. What else?

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2020 3:56 PM

I thought chocolate and cheddar would go together, but they do not. Just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2020 3:57 PM

If any of you find a raisin send it to R45, he'll eat anything.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2020 5:01 PM

Breakfast Sausage Lasagne

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2020 5:11 PM

I do, r44.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2020 5:12 PM

Thanks, R47!

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] Raisins ruin everything.

OP, I'll not only disagree but add something that will probably make you hurl. Pre-soaked, chopped-up raisins in Italian-style meatballs actually improve the flavor!

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 5:51 PM

I love dried fruit in my morning cereal

Not a sweets or baked goods fan otherwise

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2020 8:52 PM

R51 I am vomiting as I type.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2020 10:10 PM

R53, you might've already tasted meatballs with raisins in them without realizing it at an Italian restaurant. I tell my anchovy-averse friends the same thing about marinaras they've had in the past.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

There is an ancient Venetian recipe for fennel, sultanas, and sardines as a sauce for pasta

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2020 12:02 AM

I put raisins in my stuffed cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2020 12:16 AM

I never tried Duke's mayo until reading about it in the NYTimes Dining section. I eventually came across some in my local supermarket and bought some just to try it. It seems a bit more acidic than the other major brands (I like that) and it doesn't have added sugar. I plan to continue to purchase it, as long as it's readily availabke: I'm not one of those people who would order it online.

I alwas ate raisins as a kid, but they were never a favorite. I tend to pick them out when they'e included in muffins and other baked goods (I still remember Phyllis Diller's joke about them.) On the other hand, they're an ingredient in a number of Bracciole recipes I've read, so I would follow the instructions, and hope for the best.

For tomato sauce: does it have to be made with San Marzano tomatos? And is it called 'sauce or gravy?'

I'm a non-Italian Midwesterner, so I call it sauce.

I used to go out of my way to buy tomatoes labeled as San Marzano, until I read that many tomatoes labeled as San Marzano are counterfeit. I still buy reliable brands of tomatoes, but I would be hard-placed to tell you whether or not a tomato was San Marzano in a blind taste test.

I like yellow mustard on ordinary American hot dogs. I like Dijon mustard, mainly as an ingredient in other recipes, like tuna salad or pasta salad. But I really, really insist on Bertman's ball park mustard (from Cleveland) for metts and brats.

Growing up, my Mom was pretty insistent on buying Brook's catsup. She insisted that the more popular American brands were too sweet. Eventually, we became accustomed to Heinz catsup. Last year, though, I discovered my favorite little grocery carried Brook's catsup, and I bought several bottles, and gave my brother one of them. He later told me how much he enjoyed it, since it took him back in time.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2020 1:22 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2020 1:25 AM

Raisins and pecans on a Chile relleno Is heaven.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2020 1:33 AM

Cool post and pic ,r57

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2020 1:36 AM

I will add more of my thoughts to this thread, (and there are many, because after all, it’s food) tomorrow, when I’m less drunk. But in the meantime I’d just like to tell anyone 5at might be ready to clutch their pearls that I always make sure to serve VEGGIES with every damn meal.

But seriously, can’t wait to read more tomorrow when it will mean more,

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2020 1:42 AM

Black licorice is delicious, but most Americans have too elementary of taste buds to appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2020 1:49 AM

R61, That term has never bothered me, although I cringe when the Brits (even their tabloids) routinely refer to it as 'veg'. I was hospitalized for a surgery earlier this month, before our governor had implemented a sweeping lockdown. When I finally made it to the grocery, I wasn't haunting the aisles that had been plundered by hoarders: I always keep plenty of ramen noodles in stock, but I needed to stock up on garlic, ginger root and toasted sesame oil to add to my ramen. And I bought a bunch of sweet potatoes, since they don't go bad right away.

R62, I mentioned Good and Plenty candy as my favorite childhood candy in a current thread, and that's a licorice candy. Back in more innocent times, we'd empty our candy stashes on the floor, and trade them back and forth like baseball cards. I'd end up collecting all the black (licorice) jelly beans that no one else wanted.

R60, Thanks, Della! I'm from Cincinnati, and my BF is from Cleveland and I've done my best to accommodate his preferences. I know better than to ask him to eat Cincinnati chili: it's very uncommon for people from out of town to like it. One of my only regrets is that I've never mastered Sweet Potato pie. There seems to be a strict division between people who like pumpkin pie vs people who like sweet potato pie. I made one from scratch for him, and he didn't say anything, but his face never lies, and I knew I had let him down. I'm hoping his Mom will show me how, someday.

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2020 2:04 AM

Cincinatti chili is vomit on mushy pasta. The absolute worst.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2020 10:38 AM

R59 deserves to be swept away in a flash flood of dollar store mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2020 10:53 AM

R64 is correct, done they put Cinnamon in it? And other mastermind spices? They talk like it's some magic secret ingredient but it's not. Just shit they grew up with. Everyone else thinks it's odd.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2020 10:59 AM

Bolognese is not a tomato sauce with ground beef. It's a meat sauce with a little bit of tomato. It should take hours to cook and is quite involved. Will people please stop bastardizing it. Get some Hamburger Helper if that's how you cook.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2020 11:09 AM

Stop bringing pasta salad to every dinner party or pot luck you lazy whores. Yes, I know it's cheap and easy, it's also very tired and no one wants to eat 15 different types pasta at a party.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2020 11:11 AM

R68 does not speak for me.

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2020 11:12 AM

R68 is my hero.

Pasta salad is vile.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2020 11:14 AM

So much raisin hate in the first half of this tread! Huh? Raisins are wonderful and a staple in things like oatmeal and certain baked goods and desserts. I think when you start using them in hot dishes involving meats and spice-rich sauces, and trying to "experiment" with them, is when you run into trouble. Raisins are meant to be used in boring and traditional ways.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2020 11:17 AM

I don't get the raisin hate either. They are divine in oatmeal cookies and mixed into hot cereal. I've had some delicious meat dishes with them as well. They go well with pork.

Can we talk about cilantro and green peppers? These are VERY divisive foods. People tend to either love them or hate them. No in between.

by Anonymousreply 72March 30, 2020 11:51 AM

Cilantro is the food of the gods, raisins are the fruit of satan.

by Anonymousreply 73March 30, 2020 11:53 AM

Cilantro is great at getting my dishes their sparkly cleanest.

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2020 12:01 PM

R73 And what are YOU the fruit of?

by Anonymousreply 75March 30, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote]Cincinatti

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 76March 30, 2020 12:07 PM

R75 I am meat, not fruit.

by Anonymousreply 77March 30, 2020 12:21 PM

Raisins do not ruin raisin pie, a classic Southern funeral pie.

Let me know when you're perishing from the VID and I'll bake one.

by Anonymousreply 78March 30, 2020 12:25 PM

Licorice is a gift from the gods. I didn't realize the extent of this perfection until I tasted Turkisk Peber, a Finnish licorice delight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 30, 2020 1:00 PM

Never cared much for kale until I ran across prepared grunkohl at the German store. Kuhne brand. Quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 80March 30, 2020 1:24 PM

R80 have you tried caldo verde? Also a rare, tasty use for kale.

by Anonymousreply 81March 30, 2020 3:07 PM

R81 The Caldo Verde I have had in Portugal was made with collard greens, never Kale.

by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2020 5:09 PM

it's made with kale when I've eaten it there

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote]I’ll eat/swallow anything you put in front of my face.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2020 5:11 PM

R2:

VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIESVEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2020 5:18 PM

Dusting off an old one;

Shepherds pie: LAMB

Cottage pie: BEEF

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote] For tomato sauce: does it have to be made with San Marzano tomatos?

Cento is the brand I always use (pictured below), but really, it's also because it's just the easiest for me to get. Psssst, there's a brand called Muir Glen from California that's really just as good -- it's billed as "San Marzano" style. Few people would ever notice the difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2020 5:31 PM

Durkee sauce has been around a long time. Abe Lincoln was a fan.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2020 5:57 PM

The best way to prepare leg of lamb? Slow cooker or oven?

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2020 6:06 PM

Oven or butterfly and grill.

by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2020 6:07 PM

I don't care how "better for you" it is, wild-caught sockeye salmon is dry and bland. If it's so great, then why is it the only kind of salmon sold in the cheap frozen "family bags"? Give me fresh, tasty, tender, farm-raised salmon any time.

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2020 6:20 PM

R2

VEGGIES

VEGGIES

VEGGIES

by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2020 6:28 PM

damn someone beat me to it

by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2020 6:28 PM

[quote] I put raisins in my stuffed cabbage.

Now is not the time, Cheryl. Your cabbage is rotting!

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2020 6:32 PM

Microwave ovens have a place in the kitchen. I use mine several times per day. I do cook on the stove as well. I post on another, more food-oriented board, and those people are so snobby about even owning a microwave oven. (One of my siblings is a proud non-owner of a microwave oven, also.)

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2020 6:55 PM

R78 It looks like something that should be served in Hell. A pie filled with big fat candied ticks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2020 6:56 PM

Last night I made beef and broccoli over barley. It was awesome. Simple too. All you need is broccoli, garlic, ginger, red bell pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce and beef stock. Plus the barley - I used hulled barley and it's a 3:1 ratio with water.

by Anonymousreply 97March 30, 2020 7:14 PM

People that like raisins need to be publicly tortured and beheaded with a rusty ax

by Anonymousreply 98March 30, 2020 7:28 PM

Brussel sprouts are horrible. It doesn't matter how you prepare them they still taste like Satan's butthole.

by Anonymousreply 99March 30, 2020 7:32 PM

R99: Not even seared Brussel Sprouts in red wine and butter sauce? Really?

by Anonymousreply 100March 30, 2020 8:06 PM

Really. Nothing can disguise the flavor of burning farts.

by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote]People that like raisins need to be publicly

people WHO! people WHO!!!

by Anonymousreply 102March 30, 2020 8:15 PM

Really, Lucifer? REALLY???

You are aptly named, as you do belong in hell if you think anything—ANYTHING AT ALL—can make Brussels sprouts taste like anything other than the verdant turds they are. YOU BELONG IN HELL, AND YOUR RED WINE AND BUTTER SAUCE, TOO!

by Anonymousreply 103March 30, 2020 8:30 PM

Followed by raisin pie for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2020 8:34 PM

I love brussels sprouts, not having tasted Satan's butthole like R99

by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2020 8:46 PM

How about some Brussels sprouts WITH raisins?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2020 8:54 PM

How about we kill you and stuff you with both, r106.

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2020 8:56 PM

R107 hates yucky vegetables but will probably readily eat a chicken nugget.

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2020 9:59 PM

r108 I have never eaten a chicken nugget, tosspot.

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2020 10:01 PM

R44 about 40 years ago my grandmother made me a ham & cheese sandwich at her house using that Durkee sauce. It was a revelation! I loved it so much. Now every time I see that sauce I think of grandma. Thank God my store still sells it.

by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2020 10:54 PM

I love V E G G I E S!!!!

by Anonymousreply 111March 31, 2020 12:08 AM

Nectarines are superior to peaches.

by Anonymousreply 112March 31, 2020 2:44 AM

Brussels sprouts with bacon....that is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 113March 31, 2020 2:49 AM

It is impossible to overstate how important it is to have Durkee’s Famous Sauce for turkey sandwiches at Thanksgiving. It adds a complexity of flavour in deviled eggs. And egg salad. Yes, I grew up with it. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 114March 31, 2020 5:12 AM

R82 - it's most often made with greens, but kale is also acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 115March 31, 2020 5:26 AM

I hate all vegies! There I said it. Meat and potato man my self. Chicken is ok too.

by Anonymousreply 116March 31, 2020 6:57 AM

Durkee's sauce is pretty much just a mix of mustard and mayo but it contains sugar so I do not eat it. That and GMO soybean oil. GMO soybean oil ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 117March 31, 2020 8:13 AM

Awwww let R110 have his sauce, dammit.

by Anonymousreply 118March 31, 2020 12:22 PM

FACE SLAP!!

by Anonymousreply 119March 31, 2020 1:18 PM

Love Ann r10. Her regular baking and dessert vids are great too.

by Anonymousreply 120March 31, 2020 1:45 PM

Thanks R118. I need my Durkee sauce now more than ever in these uncertain times!

by Anonymousreply 121March 31, 2020 2:22 PM

I got you R110.

by Anonymousreply 122March 31, 2020 3:12 PM

R68, I feel you on this. I swear, every party I go to where people are expected to bring something, it's always some concoction of cheese/cream cheese/sour cream, served with crackers.

by Anonymousreply 123March 31, 2020 7:13 PM

R123, cheese is delicious! But so are pigs in a blanket, and I don’t see nearly enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 124March 31, 2020 7:17 PM

A guy who I was stationed with on Navy shore duty used to bring Jello to all of our potluck luncheons. The rest of us would buy a deli tray with lunchmeat and cheese because we lived in the barracks and had no access to cooking equipment. But he was living with his girlfriend and never saw fit to bring anything but Jello.

by Anonymousreply 125March 31, 2020 8:00 PM

Love Durkee’s Famous Sauce!

by Anonymousreply 126March 31, 2020 8:04 PM

R125 I hope he was given the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2020 9:17 PM

Which is the best thickener for your crème pâtissière?

Corn starch? Or flour?

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2020 9:20 PM

R125 Or at least thrown in the brig !

by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2020 9:29 PM

I just bought an extra large bottle of white grape juice. It is sublime. It’s truly got an aftertaste that is awesome. It just holds off and runs up and hits you on the head with a happy stick. Somehow, I can resist drinking it by the glass, I just drink shots. Now, I’m going to grab a shot.

Oh, the other one is plain, old, orange juice. Every time I drink a glass of orange juice, I say to myself, [italic] “Isn’t God grand.” [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2020 11:54 PM

R102, what are you, an owl? Or should I say, “who are you...”?

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2020 11:58 PM

R125, r127, he was a cheap bastard. How much is a pack of gelatin? He never did marry that girl either...she couldn’t deal with his temper and married someone else...

by Anonymousreply 132April 1, 2020 2:58 AM

Mayo is crap, regardless of brand and "salad dressing" is worse.

San Marzano tomatoes make a big difference and you can reduce the salt because they're sweeter.

Salt in pasta water--doesn't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 133April 1, 2020 3:04 AM

salt your bed, you're infertile

by Anonymousreply 134April 1, 2020 3:10 AM

R133, salted water adds some flavor to the pasta water, which in many cases is added to pasta sauces at the very end of the cooking process. Adding oil to pasta water is the unnecessary and common mistake.

by Anonymousreply 135April 1, 2020 3:15 AM

boil it in OIL

by Anonymousreply 136April 1, 2020 3:22 AM

r128, I've always used cornstarch in crème pâtissière. I've never heard of using flour.

by Anonymousreply 137April 1, 2020 3:25 AM

pat a cake. pat a cake, baker's man!

by Anonymousreply 138April 1, 2020 3:29 AM

[quote]Salt in pasta water--doesn't do anything.

Said by someone who is not Italian. As R135 just said salt adds flavor to the pasta. You don't want to add it at the end because it just sits on top of it instead of penetrating it. Think of salting you water It's brine a turkey or dry-brine steak. There really is a big difference in flavor.

Maybe you didn't add enough salt, a tsp is not going to do the trick. The water you boil your pasta in should taste like the ocean. In other words at least a 1 Tbsp. for a small 3qt pot of water, more if the pot is bigger.

by Anonymousreply 139April 1, 2020 3:30 AM

R139, right on.

by Anonymousreply 140April 1, 2020 4:00 AM

I love White grape juice as well R130. Unfortunately it’s so high in sugar it’s like drinking a soda!

by Anonymousreply 141April 1, 2020 7:22 AM

Cinnamon-Raisin bread/ bagels drenched with butter or peanut butter. That’s all I’ll go with raisins.

by Anonymousreply 142April 1, 2020 7:27 AM

R135 you need this desperately

by Anonymousreply 143April 1, 2020 9:39 AM

link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 1, 2020 9:40 AM

Yes, you DO need to add salt to pasta water. I suppose you might get away without it if you're drowning your noodles in a heavy sauce and can't taste the noodles themselves, but if you're using a light sauce then you'll find your unsalted pasta has zero flavor.

And no, salting the pasta at the end doesn't help, the salt needs to work its way through the pasta at the molecular level, during the cooking process.

by Anonymousreply 145April 1, 2020 10:45 AM

The only time I ever drink white grape juice is when I need to wash down that disgusting stuff you drink for your colonoscopy prep.

by Anonymousreply 146April 1, 2020 11:04 AM

R101: You don't burn the fat - you get it to render. Butter is a good example, melted butter is good, browned butter is awesome..

by Anonymousreply 147April 1, 2020 11:07 AM

DRAIN THE FUCKING PASTA, BITCH

by Anonymousreply 148April 1, 2020 1:49 PM

I saw someone on "Chopped" using something called "vegan bacon." That sounds like a culinary hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 149April 1, 2020 1:50 PM

Right. There is no bacon in that bacon.

by Anonymousreply 150April 1, 2020 2:11 PM

Give it up, Lucifer (and every other cunt who's certain we'd just [italic]love[/italic] Brussels sprouts if we would taste [italic]your[/italic] Brussels sprouts). I've tried dozens of people's by now and they all have this one thing in common, rendering them inedible: the shitaceous flavor and fartinaceous odor of BRUSSELS MOTHERFUCKING SPROUTS. So please, pluck them off the platter and stick them right back up your asshole.

by Anonymousreply 151April 1, 2020 2:12 PM

Agree wholeheartedly R151. They look like little cabbages. They taste like cabbage. I can't tell you how many people try to get me to eat it saying they don't taste like cabbage....BULL FUCKING SHIT. They look and taste EXACTLY like nasty, farty cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 152April 1, 2020 2:19 PM

And don't you just hate cooked cabbage, r152? Especially the smell?

Another one frequently foisted on us by the "if you'd just taste [italic]my[/italic] version..." squad is pumpkin pie. No, bitch. Pumpkin pie tastes like the same (usually over)spiced mess no matter who makes it or how much whipped cream you try to drown it in. We who hate pumpkin pie only eat the whipped cream NO MATTER WHAT YOU FUCKING DO.

by Anonymousreply 153April 1, 2020 2:24 PM

R153 I am with you on pumpkin pie, looks like they emptied a baby diaper into a pie shell.

I do like raw brussels sprouts shredded in a salad.

by Anonymousreply 154April 1, 2020 2:26 PM

I love them roasted with garlic and percorino

by Anonymousreply 155April 1, 2020 2:53 PM

I've eaten homemade mayo once and loved it. But it's labor intensive and requires exact measurements according to the cooking buddy who made it for me.

by Anonymousreply 156April 1, 2020 4:55 PM

Again with the "Oooooh Brussels sprouts are yucky - but give me the leg of a dead animal any day" weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 157April 1, 2020 5:02 PM

Homemade mayo -- no thank you. Raw eggs are a no-no.

by Anonymousreply 158April 1, 2020 5:03 PM

R20: The story behind the war on fats is interesting. You see it all went back to the early 1970's. It was in that period the medical profession started noticing an uptick and diabetes, heart disease, pulmonary problems etc.

Well the Sugar industry in the U.S. knew all along it was the god damned sugar causing most that. And they hired the best researched money could buy who said it wasn't sugar, but fats that were the cause of the above diseases. Well don't you know the U.S. government picked up the ball and then there were high fructose corn syrup or HFCS in the mix too. But the rates of disease and obesity kept going up.

The reason I know this is due to reading the book "The Case Against Sugar"by Gary Taubes. That laid all the information out. And so when the spouse got diagnosed with type II Diabetes the diet changed. Dropped all the bread, pasta etc. from the diet. And more to the point started paying attention to the ingredients in all sorts of stuff. If it had sugar or HFCS it was left on the store shelf.

Now I can only say what the effect was on me. I went from 240lbs to 160lbs in the space of about a year. And I've kept eating this way.

But the thing in the book - manufacturers of food products realized when you took the fat out their products tasted like shit. That's why all these low fat items taste so terrible - they had to load them up with sweeteners.

by Anonymousreply 159April 1, 2020 5:08 PM

Before the food industry discovered antibiotics and chemicals, animal fats were healthy. Lard, butter, those things couldn't hurt a fly, unless you left them out to spoil. Preservatives, antibiotics and growth hormones have all but rendered our livestock a mess of toxic flesh.

by Anonymousreply 160April 1, 2020 5:12 PM

It IS possible to make cooked cabbage tasty! Regular white cabbage boiled with a hambone, to just the right degree or tenderness but not mushiness, by a cook far more skilled than myself, is delicious!

I've also had shredded red cabbage cooked with seasonings that make it sort of sweet and sour, but again, I haven't succeeded in making anything like it at home.

In fact, I've eaten more delicious cooked cabbage than I have delicious cooked brussel sprouts!

by Anonymousreply 161April 1, 2020 7:27 PM

What R145 said. You most definitely need to salt the water from the very beginning. There's no point in adding salt to the water at the very end.

Also, don't throw your spaghetti at the wall to test and see if it's done! I don't where that food urban legend originated but it's definitely a false one.

by Anonymousreply 162April 1, 2020 8:25 PM

That’s how I used to do it as a teenager R162. Now I just take a bite of a strand and test it that way.

by Anonymousreply 163April 1, 2020 8:38 PM

I dare you to make this R161! It’s freaking delicious! I made it just using bacon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 1, 2020 8:42 PM

R163, I think a lot of people test pasta's doneness that way. The only problem with that is that if it sticks to the wall, it's likely overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 165April 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Haluska/Haluski is a good example of how cabbage can be tasty. Frying it releases sugars in a way that boing does not.

by Anonymousreply 166April 1, 2020 9:34 PM

Roast cabbage is the best, it gets brown and a touch crisp, very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 167April 1, 2020 9:49 PM

R67 Thank you! Almost every recipe for Bolognese I've googled is a basic meat sauce loaded with tomato sauce. Almost every Lasagna Bolgonese recipe I've googled contains ricotta and mozzarella. In other words, I made this lasagna with a meat sauce, so it's lasagna bolognese! Lasagna Bolognese is made up of 4 ingredients. An authentic Bolognese sauce, a bechamel sauce, pasta sheets and fresh parmesan. What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 168April 1, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote]Almost every Lasagna Bolgonese recipe I've googled contains ricotta and mozzarella.

Then they lied. Here's Lasagne Bolognese:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 1, 2020 10:41 PM

As if I would ever use such a "yucky" word as "yucky," r157.

by Anonymousreply 170April 1, 2020 10:47 PM

I prefer cabbage in coleslaw as opposed to being cooked, although I can eat it cooked.

by Anonymousreply 171April 1, 2020 10:47 PM

R156, Thad was my first thought.

by Anonymousreply 172April 2, 2020 2:51 AM

[quote]Again with the "Oooooh Brussels sprouts are yucky - but give me the leg of a dead animal any day" weirdos.

One smells good when it's cooked, the other smells like fart. Even our caveman ancestors figured that out. How do you think cooking food over fire got started in the first place? They weren't roasting "veggies" Dear.

by Anonymousreply 173April 2, 2020 11:26 AM

[quote]Lasagna Bolognese is made up of 4 ingredients. An authentic Bolognese sauce, a bechamel sauce, pasta sheets and fresh parmesan. What the fuck.

Actually, lasagne recipes in Italy are regional and there are parts in the south of Italy like Naples and Calabria where most American Italian came from that do in fact use ricotta. They also use things like sausage, meatballs and hard boiled eggs. They don't use the word Bolognese, but it's still considered Lasagne. My grandparents are from that region, recipes handed down through them contain those ingredients. Home made sausage and meatballs of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 2, 2020 11:39 AM

Lasagne is the name of the noodle used. Thus there are variations of this dish all over Italy and all over the US.

by Anonymousreply 175April 2, 2020 11:49 AM

Anyone who begins a statement with "Actually..." is an insufferable turd. They are all to be avoided. The grandiose pretension that they know best is no guarantee of accuracy or substance.

by Anonymousreply 176April 2, 2020 12:03 PM

No one denies that, r175 r174. Lasagne [italic]alla Bolognese[/italic] , i.e., lasagne [italic]in the style of Bologna[/italic] , is made as r168 and r169 describe, with fresh sheets of lasagne, Bolognese sauce, besciamella sauce, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

by Anonymousreply 177April 2, 2020 12:06 PM

ACTUALLY, R176 insufferable turds are the ones who have watched too many YouTube videos of Betty Bowers and now act more pretentious than the person they are criticizing.

by Anonymousreply 178April 2, 2020 12:11 PM

If you don't salt the pasta water, then you're making pasta broth. Unsalted water leeches out all the flavor and nutrients. Generously salting the water leaves the pasta flavors intact and pulls salt into the pasta to enhance the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 179April 2, 2020 12:36 PM

Ignore the bullshit about losing nutrients, total crap, however salting the water does impart flavor to the pastas.

by Anonymousreply 180April 2, 2020 12:50 PM

leeches out all the nutrients??? Are there Italian Nonas posting on here now?

by Anonymousreply 181April 2, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote]Also, don't throw your spaghetti at the wall to test and see if it's done!

I have dozens of other perfectly good reasons to throw my spaghetti at the wall, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 182April 2, 2020 1:16 PM

I had a lasagna made with white sauce in Rome once and it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 183April 2, 2020 1:23 PM

Yeah, a teaspoon or two of salt in 8 quarts of water is going to make a huge flavor difference---not really.

by Anonymousreply 184April 2, 2020 1:25 PM

DRAIN IT!!!!! BITCH!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 2, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote]Are there Italian Nonas posting on here now?

No, no nonne. But we are some pasta-knowin' bitches.

[quote]Yeah, a teaspoon or two of salt in 8 quarts of water is going to make a huge flavor difference---not really.

That's why I use more. A lot more. [italic]Come il mare[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 186April 2, 2020 2:04 PM

come la adria

by Anonymousreply 187April 2, 2020 2:05 PM

sale l'acqua!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 2, 2020 2:06 PM

Have to try the bechamel sauce.

by Anonymousreply 189April 2, 2020 3:08 PM

Raisins do ruin everything. They especially do NOT belong in oatmeal cookies. Chocolate chips or nothing.

Pickles are also evil. Way to ruin cucumbers, a perfectly fine veggie as is.

But I love pineapple on pizza so what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 190April 2, 2020 3:40 PM

R190 just made me vomit...pineapple on pizza.

He should be sentenced to a life of pickles and raisin cookies for this.

by Anonymousreply 191April 2, 2020 4:38 PM

Has anyone here ever made Johnny Marzetti? Basically baked pasta with marinara sauce and the meat and cheese of your choice. Its origins are somewhat cloudy; it’s popular in the Canal Zone for some reason. I always use an inexpensive sausage and cheddar cheese.

by Anonymousreply 192April 2, 2020 5:42 PM

To those bemoaning chemicals in food I have some news for you. We are chemosynhetes. We taken in food and chemically break i down - hence he hydrochloric acid in your stomach and in the duodenum there is a base ha neutralizes the hydrochloric acid. And then on through he ileum to be absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 193April 2, 2020 6:21 PM

Lucifer, what if you had an ileostomy?

by Anonymousreply 194April 2, 2020 7:37 PM

Cucumbers are disgusting and should be banned from use, the exception being tzatziki sauce.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

by Anonymousreply 195April 2, 2020 8:00 PM

Lucifer, there are times when I read what you type and I do not die from boredom. r193 is not one of those times.

by Anonymousreply 196April 2, 2020 8:36 PM

Is this the model you're using, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 2, 2020 8:37 PM

Pizza.

Cut or Uncut?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198April 2, 2020 8:42 PM

DELICIOUS

by Anonymousreply 199April 2, 2020 9:10 PM

Pizza with a knife and fork or your hands?

by Anonymousreply 200April 3, 2020 5:27 AM

Eat it with you mouth

by Anonymousreply 201April 3, 2020 1:28 PM

If you had an ileosomy you'd pretty much dead because you couldn't absorb he nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 202April 3, 2020 1:37 PM

Goodbye, Lucifer. I tried. Honest, I did.

by Anonymousreply 203April 3, 2020 3:14 PM

trolls and hacks

by Anonymousreply 204April 3, 2020 3:30 PM

R185 just don’t rinse the pasta after you drain it, BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 205April 5, 2020 2:31 AM

BITCH!!

by Anonymousreply 206April 5, 2020 2:59 AM

What a bitch of a thread

by Anonymousreply 207April 5, 2020 8:20 PM

[quote] Black licorice is delicious, but most Americans have too elementary of taste buds to appreciate it.

My dad loves black licorice. I think it was still popular when he was a boy. It's definitely an obsolete candy here.

by Anonymousreply 208April 6, 2020 7:09 AM

No rare/medium rare vs medium/medium well/well-done debate yet?? Let’s start one.

by Anonymousreply 209April 6, 2020 7:39 AM

Well done is vile. Case Closed.

by Anonymousreply 210April 6, 2020 8:17 AM

Avocados are an abomination. I don't mind picking them out of a salad or when they twist them around into a slimy rosette on the side of the plate, but the next cunt who tries to force me to taste their avocado Scotch egg or deep-fried avocado taco is getting a fork in the eye.

Well, when I can see avocado-pushing cunts in person again, that is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 6, 2020 8:51 AM

Yummy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 6, 2020 9:03 AM

R211 is just mad because that photo looks like his asshole!

by Anonymousreply 213April 6, 2020 9:06 AM

R211 is a sad and empty person. He has no soul.

Avocado now! Avocado forever!!!

by Anonymousreply 214April 6, 2020 11:44 AM

Fried eggs or omelettes should never have any brown on them, ever. A proper omelette is a French 'Omelette Blanc' which has absolutely no browning on it at all, or it's a huge fail.

by Anonymousreply 215April 6, 2020 2:17 PM

People who cant follow a freaking recipe as it's written, and swap out just about every ingredient listed for something else and/or add shit that wasn't part of the recipe in the first place - then comment on the recipe on how it turned out.

by Anonymousreply 216April 6, 2020 2:43 PM

R215 Now they're calling burned omelettes "American style." I thought I'd heard it all, but I discovered I have a friend who says he prefers them that way.

by Anonymousreply 217April 6, 2020 2:45 PM

"I cut the sugar in half because of my diabeetus and it's so salty! Would not make again!"

by Anonymousreply 218April 6, 2020 2:45 PM

I cut the sugar in half with most recipes because they load in twice as much sugar as the dish can take. Americans are conditioned to eat ever greater amounts of sugar. Add sugar to taste. And not a gram more.

by Anonymousreply 219April 6, 2020 2:52 PM

R212 should be condemned to a life of cheap polyester.

by Anonymousreply 220April 6, 2020 3:21 PM

I have an avocado ripening on my counter as we speak. How long does a hard avocado take to ripen naturally?

by Anonymousreply 221April 6, 2020 4:23 PM

R221 it depends.

What variety, what size? Rock hard or just hardish?

From one to 11 days depending.

by Anonymousreply 222April 6, 2020 4:31 PM

There is only one Wedding Cake - a super heavy, moist white cake with rich, heavy, yet lightly textured (no, that not a contradiction, it has to do with how its mixed) white buttercream frosting.

Spare me cupcakes, fruit fillings, gluten-free, marble, chocolate, carrot, whole wheat flour, trendy healthy flours made from the cement of arugula or kale. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2020 1:17 AM

Sorry, Della. That white cake sounds awful.

But I agree that a wedding great place for carrot cake. Bleccch.

Lemon chiffon would do nicely.

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2020 1:26 AM

Fuck! Why can't we edit these fucking posts!

It should be: But I agree that a wedding is not a great place for carrot cake.

I've been confined for tooooooooo long!

by Anonymousreply 225April 8, 2020 1:27 AM

r225, I still dream about a wedding cake that had a flavor that was To.Die.For. It was just as I described in my post at r223. The flavor of that cake was indescribable, except the word delicious.

Lemon chiffon tastes divine, but still, if I'm at a wedding, I want classic wedding cake.

by Anonymousreply 226April 8, 2020 1:48 AM

That wedding cake probably had creamed vanilla extract in it. Bakers use it - it gives a very strong vanilla wedding cake flavor, and doesn’t evaporate like liquid vanilla extract.

You can buy good brands at higher end baking stores.

by Anonymousreply 227April 8, 2020 2:07 AM

Eat your MEaT

by Anonymousreply 228April 8, 2020 2:40 AM

R228 You eat my meat, you know you want it, and I will give you some tasty cream to go with it.

by Anonymousreply 229April 8, 2020 6:56 AM

slutty fun

by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2020 1:05 PM

R190: Pickles are fine. You just have to be very discerning in which ones you get. Me I did the naturopath version, brine and pickled.

by Anonymousreply 231April 10, 2020 12:26 PM

I love pickles

by Anonymousreply 232April 14, 2020 6:29 PM

Cakes covered with fondant are atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 233April 14, 2020 6:38 PM

If you tell me you voluntarily choose not to consume animal products and I see you...

drinking imitation milk...

to wash down an imitation sausage and egg biscuit..

topped with imitation cheese...

I think I'd rather you were a cannibal.

by Anonymousreply 234April 14, 2020 6:48 PM

No tomato sauce in the evening. It gives Mama heartburn.

After I watched "Mid-August Lunch," linked below, I received a revelation about pasta water and draining vs. lifting out with tongs.

You see, in the old country, mama had a giant pot on the stove of water for cooking pasta. It could be reused for cooking pasta, rather than sending Gianni out with buckets to the well every morning.

Mama, who was 93, could never lift that giant pot of boiling water to drain it without danger of scalding herself, and dumping the water would be wasteful. Not draining leaves the pasta more moist, which is fine as long as the sauce is thick enough to withstand the clinging water.

This movie is on YouTube, and the elder gays will relate to the contentious old ladies that put their demands on their middle aged sons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 14, 2020 7:50 PM

The "clinging water": Italians usually put a ladle or two of that clinging water directly into the sauce, along with the pasta or just before it is mixed into the sauce. You can check out Antonio Carluccio, or Gennaro Contaldo, or Lidia Bastianich, for examples, on youtube, and there are many such videos linked there that are all in Italian, filmed in the motherland.

by Anonymousreply 236April 14, 2020 8:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!