Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus Freakout 27: LONDON KILLS ME

'Everybody knows that pestilences have a way of recurring in the world, yet somehow we find it hard to believe in ones that crash down on our heads from a blue sky. There have been as many plagues as wars in history, yet always plagues and wars take people equally by surprise. We tell ourselves that pestilence is a mere bogey of the mind, a bad dream that will pass away. But it doesn't always pass away and, from one bad dream to another, it is men who pass away."

Albert Camus, The Plague

by Anonymousreply 605March 30, 2020 3:08 AM

Link to previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2020 1:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2020 1:06 AM

Wow, what a BRILLIANT title, OP. It was so worth jumping the gun with nearly 100 spots still open on the previous thread. We don't deserve you. Really.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2020 1:08 AM

Make that 64 replies, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2020 1:37 AM

No, dear. It was done with 78 replies left.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2020 1:51 AM

I’m really scared and lonely right now. I feel like I’m in living in war zone with an invisible enemy. The air raid sirens are on 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2020 2:14 AM

OP.....

Do you do everything prematurely?

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2020 2:39 AM

Is this thread about Jack the Ripper?

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2020 2:41 AM

Trump and Co are probably loading up on Gilead stock. Watch for FDA approval on their drug remdesivir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2020 2:47 AM

NYC needs to be quarantined. All large outbreaks need strict quarantines.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2020 2:55 AM

Did somebody say something about an Orphan Drug.

I'm nobody's guinea pig. Don't even think about it.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2020 2:57 AM

Maybe the thread creator wants to go to bed? For Pete’s sake!

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2020 2:58 AM

Trump absolutely is invested in this stock. The man is corrupt, nothing is beneath him.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2020 2:59 AM

The minute word got out about these drugs, someone was buying up all available quantities until the FDA stepped in. Hoarding the drugs resulted in a serious shortage for people who were prescribed these particular medications for legitimate reasons.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2020 3:03 AM

-quine drugs are generic.

Anyone with equipment and API can make it.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2020 3:04 AM

The Rachel Maddow Show 3/27/20 [FULL] | MSNBC News March 27, 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2020 3:08 AM

NYC and London need to be roadblocked. Only cargo allowed in and out. No escapees or people out for a drive.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2020 3:12 AM

Florida is going to be an absolute mess. Worse than nyc when all is said and done. At least NY took precautions a few weeks ago and they have Cuomo. Florida has no shelter in place, their population lives on deaths door on a good day, and rich New Yorkers are fleeing there. Their governor is a total trumptard. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2020 3:12 AM

The corona threads move very quickly and if you don't have a replacement ready, you get a douche who refuses to put a poll or even stick with the tradition of using a film title. You can forget about a quotation, too. They're into the 570s on thread 26 already.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2020 3:14 AM

I live on the coast in CT and there is now an absolute war on summer people who have fled the city to come to their summer homes. Towns are requiring they quarantine. Residents are calling the police on any NY plate they see. Arrogant rich New Yorkers are going to ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2020 3:14 AM

R20, glad your town is being tough with the plague ridden escapees. Wtf is the matter with them?

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2020 3:20 AM

Yes R12 it must be exhausting thinking of titles for threads and trying to beat everyone to the punch.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2020 3:20 AM

On the flip side of this - where the hell are our regular patients? Our hospital census is down 50%. The coronavirus has not really hit us yet and I hope it never will. But all the people who are normally admitted with chest pain, UTIs, falls, CHF exacerbations....what is happening to them?

And it’s not just in our area. Check out this tweet and the replies.

As someone mentions, either we will find a lot of people dying of things that would have required a hospital admit, or a hospital admission was in fact never needed in the first place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2020 3:21 AM

Trump wants to make sure that Americans see HIS signature on the stimulus checks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2020 3:21 AM

R23, it's harder to have accidents if you're just staying indoors 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2020 3:22 AM

Why the freak do we need a ridiculous poll or a movie title?

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2020 3:25 AM

Should I go ahead and draft 28?

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2020 3:26 AM

'Why the freak do we need a ridiculous poll or a movie title?'

Because this is DL and we try to be creative, unlike you with your dull mind. We've used film titles for all the previous threads, except for 26 where the spazzy OP couldn't think of anything and decided to pay homage to Stevie Nicks instead.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2020 3:27 AM

People are afraid of hospitals right now. They see it as a death sentence. Fear is difficult to overcome, especially when people are dying.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2020 3:28 AM

450 dead just in NYC today. When do we hit 1,000/day? It’s going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2020 3:30 AM

R25 yes, but outdoor accidents comprise only a small percentage of hospital admissions. The “bread and butter” diagnoses on the medical floors are asthma/COPD exacerbations, cardiac events and congestive heart failure, falls in the elderly, urinary infections (again mostly elderly), strokes/TIAs and GI bleeds/anemia. I can see fewer people having respiratory infections or asthma attacks if they don’t go out and don’t interact with others but it should have no bearing on the other conditions. On the surgical floors, fractures may come down as people are less active but most of the people we see are elderly who fall at home and break a hip or other bone.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2020 3:30 AM

😁 For thread title #28, I nominate a catchy London inspired topic, [italic] "God Save The Queen"

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2020 3:31 AM

R29 that is my conclusion also.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2020 3:33 AM

Yes R27. Heaven forbid the fucking OP is not awake when we hit 400 to start their fucking threads.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2020 3:34 AM

R21 I’m glad too. Our first selectman is pissed. Not only are they coming here infecting everyone, they’re buying up our grocery supply. In the winter our population is only a couple of thousand so they order accordingly. It’s shameful.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2020 3:34 AM

The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell 3/27/20[FULL] | MSNBC News March 27, 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2020 3:35 AM

I feel like I am the only person here who would willing have sex with Boris Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2020 3:38 AM

Dear R37

Please tell me you are really drunk.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote]450 dead just in NYC today.

You might want to check your data.

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2020 3:40 AM

People are flocking to Urgent Care Centers. As many "emergencies" are not really emergencies at all. And these facilities are obviously smaller in size and nowhere near as intimidating has hospitals.

Where I live, there's a direct flight path overhead for LifeFlight helicopters flying critical patients to a nearby hospital. Normally, there are several in the course of a day, lately it's been about two per day.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2020 3:40 AM

I wonder if Trump's approval ratings will go down in the coming weeks after more people learn how incompetent he is and how he's grossly mishandling the whole situation. Sometimes it seems like he's purposely doing everything wrong

I'd love to know when he last spoke to Putin

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2020 3:40 AM

😜 Was that before or after The Dreaded Corona, r37 ?

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2020 3:43 AM

Most who live in Trumptard USA have no access to an ICU. The closest one is hundreds of miles away. They’re all fat there too. WHEN it reaches those communities they are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2020 3:46 AM

'WHEN it reaches those communities they are fucked.'

Unlike the tenement towers of NYC, though, these Florida/Texas hoes live in tiny but detached houses. And say what you like, it isn't spreading as quickly in the very hot countries.

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2020 3:48 AM

If I have such a full mind, r28, why are five threads titled after my personal suggestions?

I even receive numerous WW's for my suggestions.

[italic] "Do not speak of that which you know nothing about"

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2020 3:48 AM

R39

I apologize. I misread Rachel’s graphic which must have said 450 have died in NYC total, not just today. It was only 84 today.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2020 3:48 AM

The effect on non CV patients needs to get some attention. I have a mother with cancer who can’t get a CT scan, chemotherapy treatment is being delayed, blood draws cancelled - this is insane. How are we allowing the risk of virus to sentence people to death who do NOT have CV? And why is there no press on these people with life-threatening illness being left to due during this?

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]I wonder if Trump's approval ratings will go down in the coming weeks after more people learn how incompetent he is and how he's grossly mishandling the whole situation.

I'd like to believe that, R41, but it would require the average American to apply critical thinking and possess the ability to compare things from one day to the next. The American populace is a psychopathic tyrant's wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2020 3:50 AM

Before the virus, and after he recovers. I am Sober, and with a strange attraction to the ugly.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2020 3:51 AM

'If I have such a full mind, [R28], why are five threads titled after my personal suggestions?'

A DULL mind, Fuglimius!

if you weren't such a dunce, you'd see that keeping with the theme/quotation/poll is a good thing. It distinguishes DL from lesser sites like Reddit, Digital Spy etc.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2020 3:57 AM

I've been to two different hospitals in the past two weeks, one with my partner and one with my mother. One in London and one in Manchester. Both had sectioned off areas for corona patients that were completely separate from the other departments - including A & E.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2020 3:59 AM

Oh, FFS shut up , R50. Who gives a shit what the title is? Who cares about pretentious quotes? It's fucking Datalounge, not the Algonquin Round Table. The poll I could go either way on, but seriously, stop derailing these threads with your obsessive need to control the titles.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2020 4:04 AM

Hey, hall monitor at R28. We have not used film titles for ALL of the previous threads. Just off the top of my head I can name:

Pandemic! At The Disco

March Madness

An Abundance of Caution

And even when film titles were used early on, they included a clever twist on the original title:

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

WuFlu Boogaloo

To Kung Flu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Flu-mar

Somewhere along the way, the titles turned into a bunch of esoteric references that are neither clever nor interesting.

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2020 4:05 AM

Come a little closer, huh, ah, will ya, huh?

Close enough to look in my eyes, Corona

Keeping it a mystery gets to me

Running down the length of my thighs, Corona

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2020 4:07 AM

R44 uh you do realize it's spreading quickly in Louisiana and Spain? Those aren't cold areas

in a couple weeks Texas and Florida will be absolute messes

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2020 4:07 AM

'Hey, hall monitor at [R28]. We have not used film titles for ALL of the previous threads. Just off the top of my head I can name:

Pandemic! At The Disco

March Madness

An Abundance of Caution

And even when film titles were used early on, they included a clever twist on the original title:

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

WuFlu Boogaloo

To Kung Flu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Flu-mar

Somewhere along the way, the titles turned into a bunch of esoteric references that are neither clever nor interesting.'

We've used An Abundance of Caution already. March Madness seems generic. Wuflu is racist, bitch. Most of these seem esoteric unless you're 70 - except the excellent Pandemic at the Disco, although that is not a film title.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2020 4:09 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME - MARCH 28 12:00 MIDNIGHT

😺 NATIONAL RESPECT YOUR CAT DAY

😾 NATIONAL BE MAD DAY

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 597,267

DEATHS: 27,365

CRITICAL: 23,599

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 104,205

DEATHS: 1,701

CRITICAL: 2,594

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2020 4:09 AM

'uh you do realize it's spreading quickly in Louisiana and Spain? '

Spain isn't warm in March, Imbecilius, and nor is Louisiana. The Maldives is a case in point. Temps never fall below 26c there and it's been stuck at 13 cases there for weeks. Those people got it in Italy before they travelled to the country.

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2020 4:10 AM

there are surely many more cases in red states than have been reported but they are far behind blue states on testing

Watch out for Las Vegas in swing state Nevada. That will likely be a hotspot soon with all the social activities and travel in the last 2 months there

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2020 4:11 AM

So sorry r47. That is what’s happening in Italy as well. It’s so sad. The hospitals cannot cope. Fuck China and trump.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2020 4:11 AM

Let’s just F&F this abortion and try again.

The OP is insane.

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2020 4:12 AM

A cute message imported from the end of 26 -

Sylvia I like these threads, informative, funny. Support, outrage, some dark humor and compassion as well.

So much smarter. wittier than any place else.

You all have helped me so much. More than you know or I could thank you for

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2020 4:12 AM

R58 it's 70s and 80s this week in New Orleans what's your problem? The virus is spreading there and its' NOT cold there

by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2020 4:13 AM

'Let’s just F&F this abortion and try again.

The OP is insane.'

Aw, did someone get a little upset because I didn't use a Wu-Flu title? Racist fucker.

by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2020 4:13 AM

It's amazing how much worse things have become in the past week in the US.

One week ago, US had 19,387 cases and 256 deaths. Now, one week later, 104,205 cases and 1701 deaths.

That's a 5x increase in cases and 6.6x increases in deaths. In ONE WEEK!

by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2020 4:14 AM

If the major focus of your life revolves around a thread title, or whether or not a poll is included, you obviously have not been listening to the news.

Or, You're Gay . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2020 4:15 AM

R65 and just think how different things would have been had we not been 6 weeks behind on testing? Now there are no doubt so many people infected, many of whom with little to no symptoms that more and more are getting infected.

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2020 4:18 AM

R47 realistically, what is more press about that going to accomplish?

We don’t know what percentage of the population is an asymptomatic carrier. Presently there aren’t enough tests even for those who are ill, never mind asymptomatic healthcare workers. Therefore, minimizing contact between healthcare workers and sick people who don’t urgently need hospitalization is prudent. It does suck (I have a loved one with cancer also) but the risk to them in the near term with COVID-19 is greater than the risk of cancer progression.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2020 4:25 AM

The Hamptons are so over-run with wealthy New Yorkers panic-buying food and stretching medical supplies that local leaders are now asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to issue a travel ban from the city.

Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell said, “A new trend is taking place that puts our residents at further risk — people seeking refuge from the metropolitan areas. It is simple math: the more people that come, the greater the spread and the greater the confirmed cases.”

Amid alarming scenes of empty shelves in Hamptons stores and people lining up at 6 a.m. to grab basic supplies as deliveries arrive, he said, “We have a limited number of stores trying to keep their shelves stocked and ration out supplies as best they can. Local residents are finding it difficult to meet even their most basic needs. Unnecessary hoarding and the recent, sudden expansion of the population by those who come are making it far worse.”

Russell told Page Six by phone on Friday that he and the East End Mayors and Supervisors Association — representing all big towns out East — were urging Cuomo to issue a travel ban on all non-urgent journeys to the East End. And those who had recently arrived must quarantine inside for 14 days. He said, “We are not trying to tell those who have summer homes to stay away, this is about the people who really have no attachment to the community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2020 4:28 AM

And the Rhode Island Island governor is calling out the National Guard to hunt down New Yorkers:

Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

Raimondo, a Democrat, said she had consulted lawyers and said while she couldn’t close the border, she felt confident she could enforce a quarantine.

Many New Yorkers have summer houses in Rhode Island, especially in tony Newport, and the governor said the authorities would be checking there.

“Yesterday I announced and today I reiterated: Anyone coming to Rhode Island in any way from New York must be quarantined,” the governor said. “By order. Will be enforced. Enforceable by law.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2020 4:33 AM

R69 same story here in CT. Luckily we are naming and shaming them. We don’t give a fuck about the summer people fleeing here

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2020 4:35 AM

Dr. Tom Frieden: "Corona is World War C, the deadliest global threat since World War ll "

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2020 4:38 AM

Why don't the markets in the Hamptons put limits at the grocery stores? The examples in that article was disgusting, but easily avoidable.

Part of the blame has to be with the store owners, who are selling all they can to the highest bidder.

It's not all the rich people's fault - where's the sense of community from the store owners?

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2020 4:38 AM

If only R61.

by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2020 4:44 AM

R73 we didn’t expect the influx of people. In my town we have 2k in the winter and 23k in the summer. In the winter we order accordingly. For our residents. And then here come the New York summer cunts taking everything.

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2020 4:45 AM

Thread 28: Bring Out Your Dead.

by Anonymousreply 76March 28, 2020 4:45 AM

People are getting na little crazy. Store owners and their employees are probably worried about someone coming into their store and going ballistic.

Sooner or later, it's going to happen. Hopefully it will just be a shouting match that doesn't involve weapons.

For many business owners, it's not just about money. Every day we see such wonderful things that do many owners do for the people in their community, and expect nothing in return.

❤️ God Bless them all.

by Anonymousreply 77March 28, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote]“A kind of pandemic caste system is rapidly developing: the rich holed up in vacation properties; the middle class marooned at home with restless children; the working class on the front lines of the economy... if there is even work to be had.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 28, 2020 4:46 AM

The Hamptons, Newport, Martha’s Vineyard etc. will be future CV hotspots.

by Anonymousreply 79March 28, 2020 4:49 AM

Should have nuke Wuhan when we had the chance

by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2020 4:49 AM

Can someone start a 28 thread because we are getting close to this one reaching the limit?

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2020 4:51 AM

😥 I'm still having a hard time believing that this is all really happening.

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2020 4:51 AM

The repug Gov of Fl is ordering Highway Patrol to check for Louisiana and New York license plates. Will the cars be stopped from crossing state lines? Can Florida legally close its boarders?

by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2020 4:53 AM

Why would anyone want to even go to Florida right now? In two weeks, that place is going to become a death factory.

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2020 4:54 AM

The numbers are alarming, R65, but they are not surprising.

Infection and mortality rates are predictable through established epidemiological patterns and simple math. We had months of advance warning, starting when China put 750 million people under various levels of lockdown and quarantine. They fumigated streets and buildings, built emergency hospitals, and cut off entire regions to stop the spread. The only thing that's shocking is how people *still* think their country / state / city is somehow exempt from the spread. As if SARS-CoV-2 can't possibly spread in America, since it's the purported greatest country on earth.

by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2020 4:55 AM

Bomb Wuhan, level them

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2020 4:57 AM

I'll start thread # 50.

Just let me know when you're ready.

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote]Bomb Wuhan, level them

R86, we heard you the first time at R80.

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2020 5:00 AM

Interesting thread from Dr Nicholas Christakis (you may remember him from the Yale drama about Halloween costumes) re: serological testing. It’s meant for laymen and he explains it well. Some interesting questions for those in healthcare and policy also, re: immunity duration and what it means for the economy.

Another thing: as a healthcare worker, I’m sceptical about the guidance not to wear a mask. We know the disease spreads via droplets and we know we can be asymptomatic. Obviously we wash our hands but is there good evidence to say a mask doesn’t help? I’d rather not just be cynical and assume the guideline is so that we don’t run out of PPE too soon. Anyone here able to guide me to solid info?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2020 5:01 AM

I like your forward thinking R87. If only you can come up with a poll and some fucking reference to a movie.

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2020 5:01 AM

England swings like a ....

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2020 5:07 AM

R90 How about "Dead Man Walking" .......

My poll will include a menu with suggestions for you Last Supper.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2020 5:08 AM

Very sad

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2020 5:14 AM

Trump spittle-lickers on Twitter are trumpeting Dr Birx downgrading case projections. The author of the projections she used say “whoa, hold up”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2020 5:15 AM

People fleeing their states and communities obviously don't realize that there's no Corona Free Zone in this country.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2020 5:23 AM

R89

I think the no mask thing is some next level bullshit. In China they gear up like they bout to walk in space. Our health care PPE looks like preschool painting time in comparison.

Places like Hong Kong and Korea amongst other Asian countries have no problem wearing masks. They must be effective! I know user error, more for own sicknesss not to spread, but many seem to be asymptomatic carriers so, could still have some protective effects.

I am extremely disgusted by the head patting ang misleading by China, WHO and CDC. Even Fauci. The fact they can all yuck it up with that sociopath and let’s not even start on our so called representatives dumping stock making money - and not lifting a fucking finger to help prepare. Not even gloves. Complete heartlessness.

by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2020 5:28 AM

Never trust a big scarf and a smile.

That Frau is poison!

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2020 5:31 AM

In China, masks are mandatory. A company I work with just sent 150 employees back to their offices (after two months working from home). The first rule is you just wear a mask at all times no exceptions. It is to protect others from an asymptomatic spreader. Also common sense.

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2020 5:45 AM

A cluster in SW Georgia has been simmering for awhile:

As the area’s lone hospital network, Phoebe Putney is at the center of the coronavirus storm. The sudden deluge of critically ill patients quickly overwhelmed Albany’s main hospital.Late Monday night, the medical staff at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital faced a fresh dilemma in the crisis that has tested the institution like no other in its 110-year history. Several patients were rapidly deteriorating in one of the hospital’s coronavirus wings, yet they couldn’t be transferred into intensive care because the unit was nearly full.Shortly before midnight the hospital’s chief medical officer, Steven Kitchen, was called in. Quick decisions had to be made on which intensive care patients had recovered enough to be moved out. “We marshaled all of our resources,” Dr. Kitchen said. “We were able to free up some beds, move a couple patients out of the ICU, and were able to meet the patient care needs at that point.”

Health officials haven’t said how the pandemic reached Albany so quickly, and the mayor says that is a question for a later day. But the earliest cases trace back to two funerals handled by Payne’s funeral home, demonstrating the danger of large gatherings where the virus can quickly and silently gain a foothold. Steiner, the Phoebe Putney CEO, estimated that the first 20 patients to reach the hospital were somehow connected to those services — one on Feb. 29, the other a week later.

.Among the infected are two of Payne’s employees who had to be hospitalized.

The service was for 64-year-old Andrew J. Mitchell, an Albany native who worked in custodial services and who died from what his family believes was heart failure. Mitchell came from a large family, and on Feb. 28 as many as 100 people came by the funeral home for visitation. The next day, seven of his siblings attended the funeral, along with dozens of his nieces, nephews, cousins and their own families. Some guests traveled in from as far away as Louisiana, Washington, D.C., and Hawaii. They greeted each other with tight handshakes, long embraces and kisses.

“The minister, he was shaking pretty much everybody’s hand, just giving the family comfort and condolences,” Mitchell’s niece Chiquita Coleman said. “The funeral home officiants, they were kind of doing the same thing. That’s kind of their job, to give comfort. So there was a lot of touching and hugging and hand-shaking.”

Afterward, chapel workers at the exit handed out memory cards. Later, there was a repast at Mitchell’s house and a gathering at the home of a sister.

In the days and weeks following, at least two dozen Mitchell family members fell sick with flu-like symptoms.

One of Mitchell’s nieces is in critical condition at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, teetering on multiple organ failure. Two of his cousins are in intensive care at Phoebe Putney. Three of his sisters were hospitalized but have been discharged.

A 67-year-old man who traveled from the Atlanta area for the service later died at Wellstar Kennestone Hospital in Marietta. His death, on March 11, was Georgia’s first from coronavirus.

Izell Williams Jr., the pastor who delivered Mitchell’s eulogy, also fell ill. On March 22, Williams died from the coronavirus. He was 58.

So far, health authorities have counted 22 deaths from the virus in the area: 13 in Dougherty County and nine in surrounding communities, including Lee, Terrell, Baker, Mitchell and Early counties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2020 5:45 AM

How about “part 28: I’ll Be Home for Coronavirus.”

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2020 5:53 AM

Part 28: “Shakes On A Plane”

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2020 5:58 AM

Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak was on CNN tonight. He said three weeks ago they had two cases and now it’s 585 cases. And they have ten test kits. So I’m presuming in real life, everybody has it.

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2020 6:01 AM

Did any of you think that you might die this year?

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2020 6:09 AM

🎶 [italic] "I'll Have A Flu Christmas Without You"

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2020 6:10 AM

No way, José @103.

I have promises to keep

And miles to go before I sleep

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2020 6:16 AM

How about 27 was such a dud we've moved on to 28.

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2020 6:19 AM

So Trump is keeping medical supplies from states with democratic governors. I knew this would happen. Why is thus being allowed and why is Como allowing himself to be screwed. Democrats are so stupid, they let themselves bevscammed by him, everytime. He is getting away with killing our nation.

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote]Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak was on CNN tonight. He said three weeks ago they had two cases and now it’s 585 cases. And they have ten test kits. So I’m presuming in real life, everybody has it.

He said 535 cases and ten deaths; not ten tests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 28, 2020 6:32 AM

For the person here who keeps referring to the low number of cases in the tiny and very dispersed Maldives as proof that the virus doesn't spread in warm climates. Nonsense!

Guardian-Thailand reported 109 new coronavirus cases and one death on Saturday, bringing the total to 1,245 infections and 6 deaths, the spokesman of the government’s Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said.

by Anonymousreply 109March 28, 2020 6:46 AM

'Guardian-Thailand reported 109 new coronavirus cases and one death on Saturday, bringing the total to 1,245 infections and 6 deaths,'

Not very many. And in the Maldives, 80% of the population live on one, incredibly crowded island. It should have spread like wildfire, and it hasn't.

The 'flu' wordplay titles are stupid. It's not fucking flu.

by Anonymousreply 110March 28, 2020 6:54 AM

Malé (/ˈmɑːleɪ/, locally [ˈmɑːlɛ]; Dhivehi: މާލެ) is the capital and most populous city in the Republic of Maldives. With a population of 133,412[1] and an area of 9.27 square kilometres (3.58 sq mi), it is also one of the most densely populated cities in the world.[2][3]

by Anonymousreply 111March 28, 2020 6:57 AM

As someone who mostly just accesses Datalounge from my phone, I greatly appreciate it when someone puts a 500+ post thread out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 112March 28, 2020 7:45 AM

then don't read it on your phone, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 113March 28, 2020 8:57 AM

Same, R112. The scrolling becomes really laboured.

by Anonymousreply 114March 28, 2020 9:04 AM

I humbly re-nominate for title #27: The Day the Earth Stood Still. I have not heard any more interesting titles. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 115March 28, 2020 9:10 AM

*Title 28* sorry...these threads are moving so quickly lately!

by Anonymousreply 116March 28, 2020 9:12 AM

To be demographically inclusive, I suggest the next movie title inspired thread be:

"Flatlining Miss Daisy"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 28, 2020 9:13 AM

It's the weekend which means my break from the news has officially started. I take a break every weekend. I think it's healthy. Instead I do house chores, go for a walk and catch up on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 118March 28, 2020 10:09 AM

R111. The virus is also spreading in Indonesia (+109 new cases according to the worldometer) and in India which is currently on a 3 week total lockdown. There was an article in the Guardian on Thursday which said that there could be tens of thousands of undetected cases in Indonesia based on researchers estimates. Unfortunately I can not post the link here but you can easily find the article on the internet. Honestly I hope that you are right about the warm weather. Time will tell

by Anonymousreply 119March 28, 2020 10:27 AM

Indonesia, a muslim country...probably a lot of infection via religious gatherings...

by Anonymousreply 120March 28, 2020 10:31 AM

From CNN's Fred Pleitgen and Nadine Schmidt in Berlin

The number of coronavirus cases in Germany rose by nearly 15% in the last 24 hours after 6,294 new cases were reported, according to official numbers released Saturday by the Robert Koch Institute, the country’s infectious disease and control center.

Germany now has a total of 48,582 confirmed coronavirus cases and 325 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 121March 28, 2020 10:33 AM

I hate the stupid polls and silly quotes. A vote for witty puns instead of movie titles.

by Anonymousreply 122March 28, 2020 10:33 AM

UK coronavirus response "a national scandal"

Richard Horton, the editor-in-chief of The Lancet medical journal on Saturday slammed the UK government's response to the coronavirus pandemic, saying it had "failed."

"The UK Government's Contain–Delay–Mitigate–Research strategy failed. It failed, in part, because ministers didn't follow WHO's advice to “test, test, test” every suspected case. They didn't isolate and quarantine. They didn't contact trace. These basic principles of public health and infectious disease control were ignored, for reasons that remain opaque," Horton wrote in an article published to the medical journal on Saturday.

"The UK now has a new plan—Suppress–Shield–Treat–Palliate. But this plan, agreed far too late in the course of the outbreak, has left the NHS wholly unprepared for the surge of severely and critically ill patients that will soon come," he added.

n increase in cases: British health authorities announced another 181 fatalities on Friday, bringing the death toll to 759. More than 14,500 infections have been recorded, but as the UK is not testing widely, true infection numbers are likely to be much higher.

How is the UK handling the outbreak? The British government, criticized for its less aggressive start in responding to the pandemic, has been attempting new measures to flatten the curve of new Covid-19 infections after a high-profile study found that coronavirus could overwhelm the number of intensive care beds and lead to 250,000 deaths in the UK.

Officials infected: The UK's response to the coronavirus pandemic was upended on Friday when the Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his top health minister tested positive for the infection, and his chief medical adviser self-isolated after displaying symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 123March 28, 2020 10:35 AM

Latest updates from Belgium: 1850 new cases. 64 additional deaths. 3717 people are hospitalised. 789 in intensive care. Lockdown has been extended for at least 2 more weeks until 19 April

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 28, 2020 10:36 AM

India records biggest jump in coronavirus cases

From CNN's Sugam Pokharel

India recorded 149 new coronavirus cases Friday -- the biggest single-day jump so far, according to the country's Ministry of Health.

The total number of cases in India stands at 873, with 19 deaths.

Maharashtra, a state in western India, has the highest number of cases at 180, followed by the southern state of Kerala with 173.

by Anonymousreply 125March 28, 2020 10:37 AM

And from the very warm Philippines

Guardian-Health officials in the Philippines reported 14 new coronavirus deaths and 272 new cases on Saturday, according to Reuters. The numbers reported represent the country’s largest daily increase in deaths and infections since the outbreak began . The total number of confirmed infections in the Philippines is now 1,075, of whom 68 have died, the health ministry said. Four patients have recovered, bringing the number of recoveries to 35.

by Anonymousreply 126March 28, 2020 10:41 AM

Breaking news from Spain

BBC-The death toll from coronavirus in Spain has now exceeded 5,000, after 832 more fatalities were reported there in the past 24 hours. The death toll now stands at 5,690, while a total of 72,248 people have been infected. Spain is currently Europe's second-worst-hit country after Italy.

by Anonymousreply 127March 28, 2020 10:47 AM

It's hard to keep up with new threads when I have the OP blocked as a shithead.

by Anonymousreply 128March 28, 2020 10:49 AM

Hope you are feeling better this morning R128.

by Anonymousreply 129March 28, 2020 10:54 AM

Horton Hears A Choo (and quickly locks himself away)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 28, 2020 11:06 AM

R117, “Flatlining Miss Daisy” would be more appropriate in a couple of weeks, when they start rationing ventilators and stop putting old people on them in favor of the younger. That’s coming up soon. Some countries have already discussed doing that.

by Anonymousreply 131March 28, 2020 11:13 AM

r131, I will be 63 in May. I'm fucked aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 132March 28, 2020 12:08 PM

My wife and I have been in Palm Springs since mid January. The condo owners we are renting from said we can stay as long as we want. At some point we will need to drive back to Portland, OR. We aren't sure when we should go. If the pools were open it would be an easy decision just to stay here and isolate. It's going to start getting hot here in the next few days.

by Anonymousreply 133March 28, 2020 12:13 PM

Stay in Palm Springs, Lesbo. Way too many opportunities to expose yourselves on the drive between the two.

Pretend it's Dinah Shore Weekend.

by Anonymousreply 134March 28, 2020 12:25 PM

R133, I second R134. If it does turn out warm weather suppresses the virus at all, you might be safer there in the coming warmer weather. And I can’t see it living as long on surfaces if the surfaces are 150 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 135March 28, 2020 12:39 PM

Will you cunts fucking SHUT UP about the goddamn threads and thread titles and polls and timing and stop fucking bickering??? For fuck's sake! A fourth of the posts have been about total nonsense. I've tried to ignore them but it's impossible. You guys need to get a fucking grip!

by Anonymousreply 136March 28, 2020 12:43 PM

I agree with r136

You all are twats

by Anonymousreply 137March 28, 2020 12:50 PM

The quarantine has you on edge and you need to get laid!

by Anonymousreply 138March 28, 2020 12:53 PM

R129 Thank you, ElderLez. I have fairly bad anxiety issues at the best of times, so it's been hard to keep my head above water this week, especially since Twitter and even these threads are really pushing the "30-SOMETHING SOMEONE SUDDENLY KEELS OVER DEAD WITH NO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS" stories hard.

I've gotten to where I'm freaked out taking my dog for his afternoon walks because there are too many people out and about at that time, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can go to avoid them. And with Trump & Co getting worse every day, I can't see an end to this. I could cope better if I thought there would be some resolution, instead of daily fear for....ever?

by Anonymousreply 139March 28, 2020 12:53 PM

Lmao, r81 and r87. I was going to suggest a variation on The Knack's My Sharona, but it's been done already.

I don't get the media, or anybody, wracking their brain wondering why Trump won't fully deploy the might of the Defense Protection Act.

Here's the simple, accurate reason-Trump is a chicken-shit, yellow-bellied coward. He lacks the cajones. It's just that simple.

And him kicking around GM? Please. Those long-time whipped puppies, the US Auto industry, are easy foes to any US President. There is very little downside, and it takes zero courage, to scapegoat them. Americans are conditioned to seeing that.

Wake me when Trump threatens and follows through deploying the DPA on Lockheed, Northrup-Grumman, and Boeing. He won't because he doesn't want to risk they'll tell him, diplomatically, yet unmistakably, to "Get Fucked".

And he'll back down.

by Anonymousreply 140March 28, 2020 12:54 PM

R135 It's been in the upper 80s in New Orleans this week, so I think the warm weather theory is pretty well debunked at this point.

by Anonymousreply 141March 28, 2020 12:55 PM

Hi Sylvia, do you want me to start a thread where we can talk about our dogs? I find my little guy a great support as I deal with intermittent depression now.

by Anonymousreply 142March 28, 2020 12:59 PM

But the Maldives, r141!

by Anonymousreply 143March 28, 2020 12:59 PM

R142 Sure thing... But can we call it The Plague Dogs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 28, 2020 1:02 PM

A huge cruise ship where 4 people already died will soon arrive in Fort Lauderdale. There are over 1500 people on board and they will probably spread Corona all over Florida and the US if they are not carefully quarantined.

The ship was denied entry to the Panama Canal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 28, 2020 1:04 PM

Could someone please stop this fucking OP from starting new threads all the time? I and a lot of others have this troll on ignore and can't follow his threads or find them.

Whenever he starts a new thread, could someone else just make another and we all ignore him?

by Anonymousreply 146March 28, 2020 1:05 PM

Who the FUCK is still allowing cruise ships to set sail? They should all be torpedoed on sight as soon as they enter any nation's waterways.

by Anonymousreply 147March 28, 2020 1:06 PM

Plague dog thread created.

by Anonymousreply 148March 28, 2020 1:08 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME 😺 😾 MARCH 28 9:15 AM EST

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 614,811

DEATHS: 28,282

CRITICAL: 23,997

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 104,256

DEATHS: 1,704

CRITICAL: 2,494

by Anonymousreply 149March 28, 2020 1:16 PM

Thank you Corona Time guy for your regular updates

by Anonymousreply 150March 28, 2020 1:19 PM

Sylvia, I know that the theory about warm weather has been debunked. However, people can get Coronavirus from fomites and Palm Springs is very dry heat. Surfaces get very hot. I’m in Las Vegas, and I once clocked the interior temperature of my car in the summer as 160 degrees. You can fry an egg on the street or the hood of your car. People spend a lot of their time outside in the car, so it might help as far as fomites are concerned.

I have family near Palm Springs, and I’ve spent some time there. I remember one trip where it was 120 in the shade at nine o’clock at night. I don’t think we’ve had an example of that yet. I’m not saying the virus would be killed in air conditioned supermarkets, for example, but I think it would be hard for it to live outdoors, which might cut the rate of transmission. It might not live as long on gas pumps and atms for example. It might become more manageable if people practice social distancing, if it can’t live on many surfaces. We’ll just have to wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 151March 28, 2020 1:21 PM

Fomites don't like it hot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 28, 2020 1:28 PM

It isn't going to be 120 in PS in April.

Anecdotally, I can say I have gotten far fewer colds and flus since I moved to Phoenix 10 years ago, than I ever did when I lived in cold climates. I personally believe vitamin D is the biggest factor. Everyone should take a supplement. It may not help in all cases, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 153March 28, 2020 1:41 PM

The temperatures in the south, in the high 80's to mid 90' seem alarmingly hot for the end of March. Maybe it's normal for them in early spring, but I'd hate to be dealing with the heat and humidity right now. It will be here soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 154March 28, 2020 1:48 PM

Hey, whatever happened to all those drive-through testing sites that were supposed to be set up in the parking lots of CVS, Target, etc.? Christ, that news conference already feels like it happened a lifetime ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 28, 2020 1:54 PM

r154 it has been sweltering here in Florida all week, it feels like July. But it is still dry season so there is no rain. The grass everywhere is scorched. I tried to wear an N95 mask to the grocery store this week, but after wearing that thing for 5 minutes I ripped it off because it was too hot. Its a very weird time.

by Anonymousreply 156March 28, 2020 1:58 PM

It hasn’t spread in the Maldives for two huge reasons:

- the only cases so far have been tourists or staff of resorts. In every instance they have closed down the entire island and prevented anyone from leaving until tests were run. They also stopped all inter island travel fairly quickly, and now have blocked all countries from entering as tourists, plus any resident entering the country for the past week or so has been automatically quarantined on a separate island for 2 weeks.

- they also have a curfew/quarantine for local islands, and unlike everywhere else in the world, the people there actually do what the government tells them to. Not saying that’s necessarily a great thing - they do it out of fear - but they are staying away from each other.

I was there a month ago and have been watching cases closely, it’s been pretty remarkable how they’ve stopped it from spreading.

by Anonymousreply 157March 28, 2020 2:00 PM

The Corona tests kits are stockpiled in the basement of the White House, along with thousands of respirators/ventilators, face masks, gloves, gowns, and face shields.

Ju$t waiting for the highe$t bidder............

by Anonymousreply 158March 28, 2020 2:02 PM

My friend is 63 and has it. He is on day 4. He is feverish and achy but overall doing pretty well. Except for the fact that he has to take care of his 72 year old husband who also has it and is a total man baby.

by Anonymousreply 159March 28, 2020 2:23 PM

R145, that reminds of the 1970s movie Voyage of the Damned. And Lee Grant’s scene-chewing performance.

by Anonymousreply 160March 28, 2020 2:23 PM

[quote] Hey, whatever happened to all those drive-through testing sites that were supposed to be set up in the parking lots of CVS, Target, etc.?

And what about that big national Google website, being developed by thousands of Google engineers, "unlike websites of the past," that was supposed to be up and running within a week to show us where we could get tested?

by Anonymousreply 161March 28, 2020 2:26 PM

You don't need to take vitamin D supplements unless you don't get enough sun.

by Anonymousreply 162March 28, 2020 2:33 PM

Big increase in UK deaths

CNN-The number of people hospitalized in the United Kingdom with coronavirus who have died is now 1,019, according to the latest figures released by the UK’s Department of Health and Social Care on Saturday. The deaths were recorded as of 1 p.m. ET on Friday and show an increase of 260 people since the last update. As of 5 a.m. ET Saturday, 17,089 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 163March 28, 2020 2:43 PM

these threads are 2/3 full of people arguing about the thread.

everyone here has moderator's disease of micromanagement.

none of you are grunts who have to get shit done, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 164March 28, 2020 2:44 PM

"And it all comes down to YOU!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 28, 2020 2:48 PM

"STAND BACK!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 28, 2020 2:51 PM

This article defines my life.

[quote] "Uncertainty is the basis of all anxiety disorders, so in some ways, COVID-19 has set a fire to the foundation of anxiety," said Christina Maxwell, a counselor at the Anxiety Treatment Center of Greater Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 28, 2020 2:55 PM

I’m trying to be nicer and more sympathetic to everybody because I know we’re all under stress but I really loathe Salvia Fouler. I’ve got her on block but even reading other’s bitching about him makes her compulsiveness and showboating nauseating. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 168March 28, 2020 2:55 PM

Re R123: Boris Johnson is one of my guesses for elected heads of government who won’t survive the next vote. Once this is closer to over the ongoing, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him forced out by his own party.

I think Trump is likely to suffer defeat in November as a result of this too. It seems hard to imagine given the stubbornness of his base but this isn’t going to end well and it’s his watch. He has nothing to fall back on but a bedrock of fools. I do not believe come November it will be enough.

by Anonymousreply 169March 28, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote] Should I go ahead and draft 28?

I’ve done 29 through 32,485. I hope Sylvia doesn’t jump.

Pity her husband.

by Anonymousreply 170March 28, 2020 3:03 PM

R159, where ? in UK? USA?

wishing them a speedy and full recovery

by Anonymousreply 171March 28, 2020 3:07 PM

Forgive me if late with this and covered but happy to see stock selling Senator Richard Burr is being sued for insider trading.

Don’t know the merits but the stink is bad for him and bad for Republicans.

Every little bit of self inflicted damage helps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 28, 2020 3:10 PM

People are dying! People are dying!

by Anonymousreply 173March 28, 2020 3:12 PM

R169 A few days ago Boris Johnson was bragging that he was still shaking everyone’s hand. Now he has it along with his health minister. And who knows how many he infected in those few days before he became symptomatic. He’s the UK’s version of Trump. These incompetents should be charged with crimes and rotting in jail cells.

by Anonymousreply 174March 28, 2020 3:12 PM

New York menswear company shifts to producing protective equipment

In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak in New York, CEO Stephen Granovksy said on Friday that his clothing company, Hickey Freeman’s Tailored Clothing, has shifted its production to make personal protective equipment for doctors and medical workers on the front lines.

“In a matter of days, we built a prototype of the surgical curtain supplied to us by Rochester General [Hospital] and, within a week, had delivered the first 10,000. We’re wrapping up to hopefully produce 300,000 as quickly as we can,” Granovsky told “Fox & Friends.”

Granovsky said that his company is losing money for every mask they make due to delayed funding from the government. Granovsky said that “it has been a challenge” to get funding from FEMA and the state government.

He said the company planned to take a loss on the first shipment, hoping that funding would come through for further production. Granovsky went on to say, “We desperately need a buyer that is either statewide or even better, national, that can coordinate not only proven prototypes but providing the budget because, let’s face it, American manufacturing is more expensive than the traditional Chinese manufacturing that this industry is used to.”

“And while this is an unbelievably valuable exercise for us to be engaged in on such short notice, we do have to be careful not to lose our shirt doing it,” he added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 28, 2020 3:24 PM

The number of coronavirus deaths in UK rise above 1,000

From CNN’s Arnaud Siad

The number of people hospitalized in the United Kingdom with coronavirus who have died is now 1,019, according to the latest figures released by the UK’s Department of Health and Social Care on Saturday.

The deaths were recorded as of 1 p.m. ET on Friday and show an increase of 260 people since the last update.

As of 5 a.m. ET Saturday, 17,089 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 176March 28, 2020 3:27 PM

After Boris yesterday and Charles the day before, I was actually surprised to wake up earlier and NOT learn that another posh Englishman had been infected.

by Anonymousreply 177March 28, 2020 3:27 PM

There are at least 102,702 coronavirus cases in the US

From CNN's Alta Spells

There are at least 102,702 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the country through public health systems,

So far, 1,590 people have died in total in the US from coronavirus.

The total includes cases from all 50 states, Washington, DC, and other U.S. territories, as well as all repatriated cases.

by Anonymousreply 178March 28, 2020 3:27 PM

Like Trump, Boris is literally making things up as he goes along. He has no plan and has changed direction so many times that I have whiplash. It's beyond sad that these two are in charge during this critical time. Same for that stupid motherfucker in Brazil. We are doomed!

by Anonymousreply 179March 28, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote]R3 Wow, what a BRILLIANT title, OP. It was so worth jumping the gun with nearly 100 spots still open on the previous thread. We don't deserve you. Really.

We were caught unprepared without extra ventilators in this crisis.

There is no harm in stockpiling new threads. I may even start No. 28 right now.

by Anonymousreply 180March 28, 2020 3:31 PM

If BoJo dies, does the Chancellor of the Exchequer take over?

He's hot.

by Anonymousreply 181March 28, 2020 3:31 PM

very curious...Prince Charles has mild symptoms, Boris has mild symptoms...how nice for them.

by Anonymousreply 182March 28, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote]R50 if you weren't such a dunce, you'd see that keeping with the theme/quotation/poll is a good thing. It distinguishes DL from lesser sites like Reddit, Digital Spy etc.

Girls, GIRLS.... these thread title squabbles are tearing us apart!

by Anonymousreply 183March 28, 2020 3:37 PM

Spanish princess, 86, is the first royal to die of coronavirus

Weeks after Spain’s King Felipe IV tested negative for coronavirus, his cousin Princess Maria Teresa de Borbon-Parma has died from the highly-contagious illness.

The death of Maria Teresa — dubbed “the red princess” due to her progressive politics and activism — was announced Thursday by her brother, Prince Sixto Enrique de Borbon, the Duke of Aranjuez.

“On this afternoon… our sister Maria Teresa de Borbon Parma and Borbon Busset, victim of the coronavirus COVID-19, died in Paris at the age of eighty-six,” he wrote.

Born in 1933, Maria Teresa was educated in France and became a distinguished professor at Paris’ Sorbonne and a professor of Sociology at Madrid’s Complutense University. An advocate of women’s rights and socialist ideas, she also studied Islam specifically as it pertains to evolving women’s rights in Arab nations, People reports.

Great Britain’s Prince Charles, 71, tested positive for coronavirus this week and is self-isolating with “mild symptoms,” his Clarence House office announced Wednesday.

The Prince of Wales’ wife, Camilla, 72, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative for COVID-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 28, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote]The Prince of Wales’ wife, Camilla, 72, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative for COVID-19.

Didn't they say dogs can't get it?

by Anonymousreply 185March 28, 2020 3:41 PM

Get the fuckin’ royal LAYABOUTS off this thread! They have their own.

by Anonymousreply 186March 28, 2020 3:42 PM

r162, with the advent of sunscreen, many people are deficient in Vitamin D. I run, surf, exercise, sometimes work outdoors here in L.A. and am still Vitamin D deficient.

Vitamin D also helps with depression (hence the Winter SAD syndrome):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 28, 2020 3:48 PM

2 landlords on my street cut rents in half for the coming month.

Mine hasn’t yet.

by Anonymousreply 188March 28, 2020 3:52 PM

Someone pointed out on twitter that within 24 days we went from 100 cases to over 100,000.

by Anonymousreply 189March 28, 2020 3:52 PM

First NYPD detective dies from coronavirus

From CNN's Brynn Gingras, Shimon Prokupecz and Mark Morales

The first New York Police Department detective has died from coronavirus, according to multiple law enforcement officials.

The detective was in his 40s and worked in the 32nd precinct which serves the northeastern portion of Harlem, the officials said.

He was admitted to a Bronx hospital three days ago and had underlying health conditions, according to the law enforcement officials.

Other law enforcement deaths: This is the third member of the NYPD to die from the virus.

Previously the NYPD announced a custodian assigned to police headquarters, a 14-year veteran of the NYPD family, Dennis C. Dickson had passed away from the virus.

Giacomina Barr-Brown, a civilian member of the service and a seven year veteran of the NYPD assigned to the 49th Precinct Roll Call Office, also died from the virus.

by Anonymousreply 190March 28, 2020 3:53 PM

Is Agent Benson okay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 28, 2020 3:54 PM

R133 - it's not going to be hot in Palm Springs. People always look at the temp and think it's unbearable - but it isn't as long as humidity is under 15%.

Just stay out of the sun. Trust me - it's not going to be as hot as you think. Also, supplies are better in PS right now than larger cities, particularly because there are few tourists and the Canadians all went home.

The difference in grocery stores stock in PS versus LA or other places in SoCal is night and day. Plus, because of less density, there's a lot more social distancing in PS - it's just easier to do.

by Anonymousreply 192March 28, 2020 3:58 PM

I’m extremely accident prone and terrified I’m going to injure myself badly enough to have to go to the ER, which routinely happens once or twice a year. *Luckily*, I already severely injured my leg this year so I’m hoping I can hold off on having another accident for, at least, a few months.

by Anonymousreply 193March 28, 2020 3:58 PM

Question: If COVID19 is so contagious,, why don’t family members of sick people always get infected? A lot of them, even caregivers, seem not to.

by Anonymousreply 194March 28, 2020 3:58 PM

R194, diseases (or people?) can be weird like that. I went to college in an expensive area, so I shared a 2-bedroom apartment with 3 other people. One of them -- the guy I shared a bedroom with -- coughed for days before he went to the doctor and was diagnosed with bronchitis. I never caught it.

by Anonymousreply 195March 28, 2020 4:05 PM

Canada to impose restrictions (sensible if not dramatic) on domestic air and train travel... you show symptoms, you can’t fly. I am not quite sure how they intend to measure this, I have heard airport checks are crap internationally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 28, 2020 4:15 PM

R194, they have. There have been reports of family members getting infected...

by Anonymousreply 197March 28, 2020 4:21 PM

OMG! God Cuomo talking about using ambu bags for ventilators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 28, 2020 4:21 PM

Scary shit

BBC Breaking News-NHS England medical director Prof Stephen Powis says if the death toll in the UK is kept below 20,000, "we will have done very well". It was "possible to get on top of this virus", he added.

by Anonymousreply 199March 28, 2020 4:31 PM

R199

So basically admitting they just want to get those expensive pensioners off the books?!

What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 200March 28, 2020 4:33 PM

R200, that's what I thought. They aren't even pretending to to do something...

by Anonymousreply 201March 28, 2020 4:34 PM

Apparently CDC is going to change mask recommendations to all wearing masks in public!

Why the hell have they been lying and misleading us all?

by Anonymousreply 202March 28, 2020 4:34 PM

It's how nature deals, sometimes -- dead wood burns. See: California.

by Anonymousreply 203March 28, 2020 4:35 PM

I saw on the news this morning that when the gov. asked Trump for help with masks he told her she would have to do it herself. She did find a way to get them made and when they were finished making them I guess she had to bid to get them and Trump's administration bid against her and they won.

Trump has unleashed a hatred in this world that we never knew existed. Did you ever think you could hate someone so much especially when you had never hated anyone?

by Anonymousreply 204March 28, 2020 4:38 PM

that would be the Michigan gov. in r204

by Anonymousreply 205March 28, 2020 4:39 PM

Cuomo is giving another briefing. He’s calm, methodical and explains everything clearly. Here’s what’s happening and here’s what we’re doing. Total opposite of the orange baboon in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 206March 28, 2020 4:39 PM

New York tax filing deadline extended due to coronavirus

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has extended the tax filing deadline in New York to July 15 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

via press conference.

by Anonymousreply 207March 28, 2020 4:39 PM

Navy hospital ship expected in NYC by Monday, governor says

From CNN's Sheena Jones

USNS Comfort will be in New York City by Monday and will bring 1,000 beds to help with the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday during a press conference.

The ship will be used to backfill hospitals, the governor said.

by Anonymousreply 208March 28, 2020 4:39 PM

number of deaths, 728, up from 519.

29, 766 confirmed cases in nyc --cuomo

52 316 positive cases NY State.

by Anonymousreply 209March 28, 2020 4:41 PM

R204. I have never hated someone more in my life than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 210March 28, 2020 4:41 PM

R208 Dumps "hospital ships"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 28, 2020 4:42 PM

I make zee masks. Be Best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 28, 2020 4:44 PM

R2O, I also live in coastal CT, in Fairfield County. Lots of NY license plates and they are moving into their summer homes earlier this year to get out of NY. I am pretty much resigned to it. I figured out while ago that in the event of a nuclear attack I wouldn't even try to make it to the highway. I'd just open a bottle of wine and sit on my three season porch and just let what happens happen. I am about a half hour to 45 minute ride to Grand Central Station. Traffic is backed up for hours on a daily basis on the thruways. Nobody is going to make it out of here alive, so you learn to make the best of it. When I heard the virus was in Rochester, then Westchester County, I knew we were screwed here. Anyone who had the property and the means was getting out in the early stages. So far we have been lucky and managed to get whatever we need whenever we need it and have stayed healthy. Westporters, not so much. They have the most cases in Fairfield County.

by Anonymousreply 213March 28, 2020 4:45 PM

^^^^^should read R20. Wish we had an edit feature

by Anonymousreply 214March 28, 2020 4:47 PM

There are 52,318 confirmed coronavirus cases across New York

There are now 52,318 people confirmed to have Covid-19 across New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday during a press conference.

The state has tested a total of 155,934 people, Cuomo said. At least 728 people have died from coronavirus across New York.

by Anonymousreply 215March 28, 2020 4:47 PM

There are at least 111,115 coronavirus cases in the US

From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

There are at least 111,115 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the country through its public health systems,

So far, 1,842 people have died in total in the US from coronavirus.

The total includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other U.S. territories, as well as all repatriated cases.

by Anonymousreply 216March 28, 2020 4:51 PM

New York moves its presidential primary election to June 23

In light of the coronavirus spread, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has moved the state's presidential primary election to June 23.

The original date was April 28, Cuomo said.

by Anonymousreply 217March 28, 2020 4:51 PM

We're going to end up with another Super Tuesday at this point.

by Anonymousreply 218March 28, 2020 4:53 PM

NBC's Kelly O'Donnell:

The president said he is considering an enforceable quarantine in the NY NJ CT area. Decision may come today. He spoke with Gov. Cuomo adding he “doesn’t want to do it but may have to.”

by Anonymousreply 219March 28, 2020 4:59 PM

Cuomo says he did not speak to Trump about a quarantine for New York

Following news that President Trump is mulling a short term quarantine for New York and surrounding areas, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he "didn't speak to him about any quarantine."

"I spoke to the president about the ship coming up and the four sites. I didn't speak to him about any quarantine," Cuomo said Saturday during a press conference. "No, I haven't had those conversations. I don't even know what that means."

Earlier today: Trump said he is thinking about a possible “short term, two week” quarantine for "New York, probably New Jersey and certain parts of Connecticut."

Speaking at the White House, Trump said "we might not have to do it, but there’s a possibility sometime today" he will enact a quarantine.

Trump said that this would be an “enforceable quarantine,” one that would restrict travel because New Yorkers have been traveling to Florida and “we don’t want that.”

Trump said he would rather not do it, “but we may need it."

by Anonymousreply 220March 28, 2020 5:03 PM

Of course China is lying about their numbers:

@joshrogin Wuhan reported only about 2,500 #coronavirus deaths, but 5,000 urns were delivered to one mortuary over just 2 days. “Wuhan has seven other mortuaries.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 28, 2020 5:03 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME 😺 😾 MARCH 28 1:00 PM EST

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 629,682

DEATHS: 28,970

CRITICAL: 24,282

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 112,560

DEATHS: 1,878

CRITICAL: 2,667

by Anonymousreply 222March 28, 2020 5:06 PM

TESTING. NOW.

by Anonymousreply 223March 28, 2020 5:06 PM

Bloomberg:

Trump Says He’s Considering Quarantine for New York, New Jersey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 28, 2020 5:07 PM

More encouraging news...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225March 28, 2020 5:09 PM

DUNCE ?

When is the last time anyone used that word, not including 80 year old nuns?

by Anonymousreply 226March 28, 2020 5:10 PM

Now that I must keep a good umpteen paces behind other people on the sidewalk and can't pass them without veering into the street, it astounds me how EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOWLY 99% of people walk. I'm talking about young, able-bodied folks here. MOVE YOUR ASSES, DAMN.

by Anonymousreply 227March 28, 2020 5:12 PM

R225 it’s not necessarily what it looks like. The initial tests could have been false negatives. Also they could have residual viral particles that would show up on PCR without actually being infectious.

by Anonymousreply 228March 28, 2020 5:14 PM

Sounds like Trump is saying he doesn’t want NewYorkers anywhere near Mar-a-Lago. He doesn’t need to ask Cuomo about that.

by Anonymousreply 229March 28, 2020 5:14 PM

👹 Donald Trump is more dangerous and deadly than The Corona.

by Anonymousreply 230March 28, 2020 5:15 PM

Hope that you're sitting down

BBC Breaking News- Another terrible day for Italy, with another 889 deaths in 24 hours. Italy has now seen 10,023 deaths and over 92,000 cases. Some 70,000 are currently infected and 12,384 have recovered.

by Anonymousreply 231March 28, 2020 5:21 PM

Interesting interview with Trevor Noah and Dr. Fauci:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 28, 2020 5:36 PM

The US has surpassed Italy in total cases but the death rate is only about 1/10 of Italy's total.

So 1)maybe more sick people on respirators will die in the next two weeks and bring up the rates or 2) the US health care system is not yet overwhelmed and can deal better with sick people 3) the US has tested more people and many corona cases don't end in death. more There was a Stanford doctor on CNN today saying the death rate might be lower than 1%. Maybe something like .085.

by Anonymousreply 233March 28, 2020 5:37 PM

Maybe there is something to the thinking Italy has an unusually elderly population, that society there is much more structured around inter generational and tactile relationships and Italy is an enormously popular destination for Chinese tourists. So all that conspired to overwhelm the hospital system. Maybe. But they are getting whacked in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 234March 28, 2020 5:55 PM

R233. My guess is a combination of all three. For sure, not everyone is being tested in Italy. Recent estimates say that as many as 600,000 people have been infected there. Regarding the deaths, Italy is a few weeks to months ahead of the US depending on the region. Unfortunately the deaths will come in droves in the US. It is just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 235March 28, 2020 5:57 PM

"A huge cruise ship where 4 people already died will soon arrive in Fort Lauderdale. There are over 1500 people on board and they will probably spread Corona all over Florida and the US if they are not carefully quarantined."

Who is still going on cruises?

by Anonymousreply 236March 28, 2020 6:26 PM

Brian Tyler Cohen:

Trump says states DON'T actually need life-saving equipment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 28, 2020 6:36 PM

Trump doesn't want anyone escaping from Blue states and infecting Red States. Florida or Louisiana would not be good states to go to anyway. Both are going to blow up and infect the whole south.

by Anonymousreply 238March 28, 2020 7:03 PM

Guardian-The death toll in France has risen to 2,314, up from 1,995 on Friday, French health authorities have said. French health authorities reported 319 new deaths from the coronavirus on Saturday, up 16% on the previous day. The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in France has reached 37,575, compared to 32,964 on Friday. The daily government tally only accounts for those dying in hospital but authorities say they will be able to compile data on deaths in retirement homes from next week, which is likely to result in a big increase in registered fatalities.

by Anonymousreply 239March 28, 2020 7:06 PM

Hopefully this will lead America to take a hard look at OBESITY which is turning out to be a huge factor in who lives and dies. We need a culture shift around fatness. No more “big is beautiful” or body acceptance shit. No more obese women on magazine covers. We shouldn’t be praising someone like Lizzo for showing her disgusting huge ass. We should be publicly shaming her and that fatty from This Is Us any chance we get. Fatness kills.

by Anonymousreply 240March 28, 2020 7:30 PM

Covid-19 patients in UK intensive care have 50% survival rate Findings of new report raise concerns about how effective new facilities will be

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 28, 2020 7:47 PM

Obesity seems to be a big factor. The New Jersey family where 7 were hospitalized and I think 3 died were all very obese. Only the mother was in her 70s. The rest are in their 40s or 50s. They probably all had issues with diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 242March 28, 2020 7:54 PM

R240, doctors in the Netherlands are saying that 80% of those in ICU are obese. It’s obviously because of diabetes issues.

A guy with three dogs (probably a hired dogwalker) was just in front of my building. He coughed openly and then spit a big wad on the ground. I gave him a dirty look. When I made my way to the front door he attempted to follow me and I quickly moved away to the sidewalk, making believe I'd forgotten something. He then moved away, I went back to the front door and there he was, fifteen feet away, staring at me. There need to bs more cops in NYC areas as the overall situation worsens. Some people who gets sick will try to take down others and I want a cop nearby to alert them.

by Anonymousreply 243March 28, 2020 8:05 PM

People are so inconsiderate. The parking lot at my local supermarket is littered with disposable gloves these assholes cast off once they get back to their cars. No fucking respect or consideration for others.

by Anonymousreply 244March 28, 2020 8:09 PM

Hundreds of nurses are pouring into New York City from across the country drawn by a desire to save lives — and paychecks reaching $100 an hour.

Michael Fazio, the head of the Prime Staffing agency, said he was trying to fill 3,000 nursing slots for New York-Presbyterian, Mount Sinai, NYU Langone and Bellevue, along with hospitals in New Jersey.

“They’re all crisis needs. We’re just trying to get them the support,” he said. “The focus right now is in the emergency department and ICU.”

The hospitals have upped their pay rates, with the most experienced nurses getting top dollar.

Fazio said some of the medical mercenaries are tripling their salaries.

“I spoke to some nurses in the south. Their hourly rate was like $29 an hour. They’re literally saying ‘Man, I gotta do it for my own family.’ One woman said to me, ‘I’ve got a kid going to college. I’m coming!’ “ Fazio said.

To sweeten the offers, Fazio’s agency will send breakfasts and lunches to the nurses, arrange grocery deliveries and provide car services to take them to work. He offers housing stipends or puts the nurses up in hotels.

The state has ordered hospitals to increase capacity — which requires increased staffing — and has relaxed rules for nurses who don’t need a New York license to practice here during the deadly outbreak.

“This is an unprecedented public health crisis, and our hospitals will spare no effort to ensure they have the staff they need to care for their patients,” said Brian Conway, a spokesman for the Greater New York Hospital Association.

Gina Rao, a 34-year-old from Miami, said she drove 24 hours straight to get to New Jersey where she is working in the ICU at University Hospital in Newark.

She left her two kids in Florida and gave up a full-time job paying $36.75 an hour. She said she is earning about double that here for a 13-week assignment.

Rao said she was not afraid to pitch in despite reports of hospitals being flooded with seriously ill patients and nurses sounding alarms about a lack of proper protective equipment.

“I really and truly want to help,” she said. “Why would we be scared to go out there and help when it’s what we signed up to do.”

Jessica Gonzalez, 32, came to Manhattan a year ago from Philadelphia to work as a contract nurse at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center and was ready to return home before the outbreak began.

She decided not to leave, and got a pay increase bringing her salary to almost $100 an hour as an ICU nurse.

“As long as there’s a crisis, I’m staying,” she said. “Morally I feel like I just have to help because I’m fully capable of helping.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 28, 2020 8:19 PM

R245 once we’re done with this lots of Camaros and Mustangs will be purchased.

by Anonymousreply 246March 28, 2020 8:24 PM

Fat people are disgusting

by Anonymousreply 247March 28, 2020 8:33 PM

No one is forcing you to look R

by Anonymousreply 248March 28, 2020 8:34 PM

Can you believe that Melania has been totally invisible since this whole thing started? Any other first lady would have been comforting the nation and visiting hospitals and going to funerals. But this worthless hussy is The Invisible Woman.

She really doesn't care, does she?

by Anonymousreply 249March 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Fat nurses save lives, too.

You might want to keep your opinions to yourselves. You could be the next victim.

by Anonymousreply 250March 28, 2020 8:38 PM

With $100 an hour RNs could make more than $16k a month now? Even more with overtime. WTF?

And that Miami nurse already made $40 an hour and decided to work in New Jersey?

How much does a nurse usually make a month? I had no idea they make that much money.

by Anonymousreply 251March 28, 2020 8:45 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME 😺 😾 MARCH 28 - 4:45 PM EST

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 657,898

DEATHS: 30,433

CRITICAL: 25,248

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 120,059

DEATHS: 1,993

CRITICAL: 2,667

by Anonymousreply 252March 28, 2020 8:49 PM

R251, an RN, just out of school, can make $60,000-$70,000 in the NYC area.

by Anonymousreply 253March 28, 2020 8:52 PM

Trump's exact words from the clip at R237:

"I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals -- sometimes they'll have 2 ventilators. And now, all of a sudden, they're saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?"

Jesus Christ. Trump can't understand why hospitals that normally only have 2 ventilators would now need 30,000. Umm ... maybe it's because those hospitals don't ordinarily have to deal with a global pandemic, you fucking moron. And maybe if you had started thinking about this, planning for this, and warning the public about this two fucking months ago, when health experts were telling you that we could face this exact situation, the hospitals wouldn't be needing 30,000 ventilators all of a sudden.

Does Trump think the hospitals are asking for ventilators just for the hell of it? Just to fuck with him?

by Anonymousreply 254March 28, 2020 8:54 PM

Weren't we at 1500 deaths yesterday? And it's almost 2000 today and the day isn't over?

by Anonymousreply 255March 28, 2020 8:54 PM

I was walking my dog for a bit and it was eerily quiet. Reminded me of 9/11 when all the planes were grounded.

by Anonymousreply 256March 28, 2020 8:55 PM

The entire Trump family has vanished.

Just like respirators & face mask.

[italic] Gone, Gurl !

by Anonymousreply 257March 28, 2020 8:55 PM

Trump's entire demeanor changed today. Now he realizes how much praise he can get for doing the right thing and is sorry he didn't start this earlier. He now believes he is the knight in shining armor riding in to save the USA, then helping worldwide because he is the new savior. When he read his script at the ship this morning it is the first time I have heard him read off of paper with actual inflection in his voice. I assume he will now be even more unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 258March 28, 2020 8:55 PM

Where's Melania? I hope she is not taking her coat out of storage.

by Anonymousreply 259March 28, 2020 8:58 PM

I went out to the cemetery a few days ago to take flowers out to my zMom and Dad's grave. I was surprised to see about ten people out walking there. Most activity I've seen in days at a place I least expected it.

by Anonymousreply 260March 28, 2020 9:03 PM

r260 It is the only place I go so that I can run my car for a little bit and there is never anyone there. guess others figure the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 261March 28, 2020 9:07 PM

R253 RN salary is highly dependent on geographical regions in the country. In the SF Bay Area the salary range is from around $130K-$180K working 36 hours a week as a regular staff employee. If you work as a Per Diem RN you get paid more hourly but without benefits, so you're looking at earning between $160K-220K range if you work 36 hours a week. I know of a Per Diem RN with 12 years of experience who works 36 hours per week, and she told me last year she made $250K and this year she expects to make over $300K due to working so many overtime shifts.

by Anonymousreply 262March 28, 2020 9:10 PM

This is freightening.

Garrett M. Graff ‏Verified account @vermontgmg

Garrett M. Graff Retweeted Luis Ferré-Sadurní

Yesterday, one New Yorker was dying every ten minutes from COVID-19. Today, it’s every *seven* minutes. Every. Seven. Minutes.

by Anonymousreply 263March 28, 2020 9:18 PM

*frightening.

by Anonymousreply 264March 28, 2020 9:18 PM

It’s all fun and game$ until you contract covid-19 and end up one of the 20% that gets seriously ill on a ventilator in the ICU.

by Anonymousreply 265March 28, 2020 9:20 PM

R155 They're probably with the million tests Trump promised for last week.

by Anonymousreply 266March 28, 2020 9:20 PM

R84, here's to a Trump EasterFest 2020...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267March 28, 2020 9:22 PM

Trump playing Wartime President waving bye-bye to the big Beautiful Ship. Then motorcading to the airport and hopping on AF1 for the trip back to DC. Maybe he’ll be a little less cranky now that he’s had a little (taxpayer-funded) jaunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268March 28, 2020 9:25 PM

Was it really necessary for him to go down to Norfolk to wave at the ship? He could have used it as an opportunity to show people why it is important to stay the fuck home, even if you really, really, really want to go out and do something.

by Anonymousreply 269March 28, 2020 9:29 PM

There was something in that bill that we don't know about. Trump and McConnell were way too happy when the bill was signed. I also heard on the news this morning that the democrats had to give in and allow the Republicans decide what info they would share as to where the money was going.

by Anonymousreply 270March 28, 2020 9:30 PM

The UK has jumped from 10 in the corona ranking table to 8 today - just below Iran. Only a week ago, everything was still open and this is the payback. Prince Charles, the Health Minister and the PM have the virus as a reward for not taking it seriously.

United Kingdom 17,089 cases

Deaths - 1,019

by Anonymousreply 271March 28, 2020 9:33 PM

Have a bunch of Russian trolls have gotten together plus Sylvia’s out of control ego hammering us with posts about stupid titles? Does it get bad on the Broadway gossip thread I assume she also has control over? I must have put her on block because I see no other link to the new thread. Also I noticed awhile ago whoever posted recently doesn’t go to the top of the page. This thread should at the top but you go far down and it isn’t seen.

by Anonymousreply 272March 28, 2020 9:36 PM

Italy still on the steep upward curve of covid deaths, no sign of leveling off. They hit 2.5K on 3/17, 5K on 3/21 and 7.5K 4 days later on 3/25. Their most recent total of more than 8K dead would be 42,500 for us.

This could be our future. I don’t see why we would be spared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 28, 2020 9:38 PM

R272 the title bickering spam was so bad this morning I stopped checking the thread for awhile. Plus we had a prime time block.

by Anonymousreply 274March 28, 2020 9:39 PM

Hurray! We've now crossed the 2,000 threshold for deaths in the US!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275March 28, 2020 9:40 PM

R272 Jesus H. Christ! Give it a rest about the thread titles, it is getting very boring. I come to these threads to get views on what is going on from fellow Dataloungers around the world. The fusspots going on and on about the fucking titles of these threads are working my last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 276March 28, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]Hurray! We've now crossed the 2,000 threshold for deaths in the US!

Warmest condolences!

by Anonymousreply 277March 28, 2020 10:01 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 28, 2020 10:03 PM

Shit, Cuomo dry coughed on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 279March 28, 2020 10:05 PM

R269 I think he wanted it to be his 'mission accomplished' moment.

by Anonymousreply 280March 28, 2020 10:06 PM

Being male, as a factor in this disease, is showing up again in Spain.

[quote]Among gender-identified disease cases, men make up 60 percent of those that progress to the dangerous pneumonia stage. They make up 59 percent of the hospitalizations, 72 percent of the intensive care unit admissions and 65 percent of the deaths.

[quote]The gender divide shows up early, according to Spanish health officials. Men exhibit more of the initial symptoms: fever, cough and trouble breathing. And that carries through the course of sickness: Men progress more often to pneumonia, and have more cases of acute respiratory distress syndrome and more kidney failures.

[quote]Experts trying to parse the meaning of the gender-based data out there say that, while behaviors play some role, it’s also hard to rule out biological explanations. That’s especially true because the additional X chromosome that women have plays a role in immune response, so much so that one recent study asserted that “it is clear that sex-specific effects contribute to infectious disease susceptibility and females have a major immunological advantage over males.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 28, 2020 10:06 PM

R272 I didn't start this thread, you dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 282March 28, 2020 10:15 PM

When was the Rump phone call about some in the Midwest going back to work? A Rumplover friend of mine believes or think we will go back to work April 6.

Yesterday a lady at the drive through heard a rumor we will have stricter rules on Monday. Restaurants completely closed down and for food we will have to go to the grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 283March 28, 2020 10:15 PM

[quote] Yesterday, one New Yorker was dying every ten minutes from COVID-19. Today, it’s every *seven* minutes. Every. Seven. Minutes.

Sorry, that doesn't track. Yesterday, deaths were up about 70+ and today they're up 67.

by Anonymousreply 284March 28, 2020 10:16 PM

OMG the governor of MI just said that she found out that supply companies were told by the White House not to send anything to MI.....WTF?????

by Anonymousreply 285March 28, 2020 10:20 PM

Italy is an outlier, we've been told that they're testing disproportionately sick and older patients as opposed to widespread testing that Germany, Japan, and South Korea has done. According to ID researchers the actual CFR is unknown now but likely aligns with those in Germany, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan as opposed to Italy. As such it's projected to be around 0.5-1% case fatality rate. This is why we need more widespread testing starting with healthcare workers. Yes the virus is highly communicable but it is not as deadly as SARS currently, and if you're in good physical health then you should not be freaking out. This is not to say there aren't otherwise healthy, young people dying or being seriously affected by it. Assume that everyone has the virus when you go outside and take appropriate precautions. However, don't take what politicians (from both sides) say as gospel as they all have their own agendas and biases. Don't believe and repeat bullshit "facts", propaganda, worst case doomsday scenario as true projections. Yes it's bad and it will get worse in certain areas. We don't need the equivalent of Trump/ Trumptards muddying facts with agenda politics in this time of public health crisis.

At my clinic, we do daily checks on our respiratory patients since here in California we don't have enough test kits to test suspected cases, unlike in New York, we're still behind national average. If a patient comes into clinic we triage them, but since we're unable to swab them ourselves, we refer them to centers who do the tests. We don't encourage in fact we tell patients who call beforehand to not come to clinic for the purpose of seeking to be tested. We will see you if you present with respiratory symptoms, those are two different scenarios. If a patient has respiratory but stable symptoms then I have to weigh whether or not to order a CXR because I don't want to risk her exposing the virus, if she has it, to the imaging departments. With daily checks if her symptoms are not improving or worsening then we send her to get a stat CXR or send her to the ED. It's a rather fluid situation with decision tree and protocol changing depending on what's going on currently with testing, presenting cases which we'd have to assume COVID-19, and availability of resources. We're not impacted, not at capacity as far as beds are concerned at our main hospital but that could change as I said the situation is fluid.

I really have to stress that we should consider patients with preexisting illnesses such as cancer and other conditions who need timely care too regardless of restrictions that are in place. These patient will still be needing transfusions, treatments, and inpatient care, so let's give consideration to those patients and not think all priorities should reside with COVID-19 patients, vast majority of whom have mild or manageable course of illness. I've had patients with mild cold symptoms who make a big scene at clinic about being given preferential treatment over really sick cancer patient with fever who's already neutropenic and could be septic really soon. Use your brain and use your heart, show some kindness to others who are sicker than yourself.

by Anonymousreply 286March 28, 2020 10:21 PM

Some of those Republicunt fraus are going to get more serious about social distancing now that a baby has died. Lots of them talk about the list of minor medical conditions little Sneaüfleeyk has, but now the threat is real.

by Anonymousreply 287March 28, 2020 10:22 PM

Michigan and Massacsetts really exploded each with around 1000 new cases in a day.

by Anonymousreply 288March 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Hmm who gets nasty whenever challenged? Which one is worse? Being a total bastard like Rump or being called a cunt?

When was that phone call Rump said some in the Midwest could go back to work? A Rumplover friend of mine said she thinks we will go back on April 6 and I'm sure that would be very dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 289March 28, 2020 10:29 PM

Trump is such a cunt..of course he is fucking with a woman Gov. I hope he loses Michigan in a landslide. He is such a stupid, petty, fucking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 290March 28, 2020 10:30 PM

R285, I hope she has receipts. That's a serious accusation.

by Anonymousreply 291March 28, 2020 10:38 PM

The governor of MI has been saying that for two or three days.

I haven't heard Trump once deny the accusation, nor has he called her a liar. He just told Mikey not to call her.

If anyone ever deserved to catch this virus .................

by Anonymousreply 292March 28, 2020 10:52 PM

NOW THEY WANT US TO WEAR MASKS...WILL THEY MAKE UP THEIR PEA BRAINED MINDS?

Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

To mask or not to mask, that is the question.

But scientists now think you may want to put a face mask on it after all — if you have one.

Their advice is laid out in a new report in Science Magazine.

People in Asian countries have been wearing masks for months, which the head of the Chinese Center for Disease and Prevention supports.

In the US, face masks are in short supply and government officials want the rapidly dwindling supply saved for health-care professionals.

“This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role —you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth,” the Chinese Center’s George Gao told the magazine.

“Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others,” he said.

KK Cheng, a public health expert at the University of Birmingham in the UK, put it bluntly:

“It’s not to protect yourself. It’s to protect people against the droplets coming out of your respiratory tract… I don’t want to frighten you, but when people speak and breathe and sing —you don’t have to sneeze or cough — these droplets are coming out,” he said.

Besides slowing the spread of COVID-19, a few researchers think masks can help prevent people from getting it as well.

“It doesn’t make sense to imagine that … surgical masks are really important for health care workers but then not useful at all for the general public, said Benjamin Cowling, an epidemiologist at the University of Hong Kong. “I think the average person, if they were taught how to wear a mask properly … would have some protection against infection in the community.”

Cheng agreed: “Just imagine you’re traveling in the New York [City] subway on a busy morning. If everyone wears a mask, I’m sure that it would reduce the transmission.”

The guidance is in stark contrast to the stern words that came from the U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams only a few weeks ago.

“Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and out community at risk,” Adams tweeted on Feb. 29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293March 28, 2020 10:53 PM

Just came back from a walk and saw that there was a line outside Citarella, customers waiting to get in but were not 6 feet apart and some of them are old people...I was on the other side of the street.

by Anonymousreply 294March 28, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote]CDC denies that it is planning on updating guidance to recommend the wearing of masks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 28, 2020 11:02 PM

My state is now at 377 cases, and 15 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 296March 28, 2020 11:02 PM

Of course face masks work, if for no other reason than reminding you not to touch your face. They told people not to wear them because they knew a shortage was coming and they needed them for medical workers.

by Anonymousreply 297March 28, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote{R293 “you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth,”

YOU wear the massshhhk, it doeshn’t wear YOU.

by Anonymousreply 298March 28, 2020 11:07 PM

30% of coronavirus patients hospitalized in Canada are under 40

From CNN's Paula Newton Canadian health officials revealed Saturday that younger generations account for 30% of all coronavirus hospitalizations.

"Please note that 30% of those hospitalized are under 40 years of age. We continue to keep a close eye on the severity of the disease because although there will be day to day fluctuations, a sustained trend of increased severity could point to a higher rate of infection in vulnerable populations or that the health system is being overwhelmed," said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer.

Other notable observations from the Public Health Agency of Canada analysis showed that people over 60 were more likely to be hospitalized with 56% going to hospital for treatment. Of those, more than half were admitted to intensive care.

The information showed that most of the new cases in Canada were from community transmission and not from travel.

"We have now completed tests for over 184,000 people in Canada which is more than 84,000 additional people tested since Monday. In terms of the severity of Covid 19 in Canada, the percentage of cases that require hospitalization is approximately 7%. About 3% are critically ill and 1% of cases have been fatal," Tam said.

by Anonymousreply 299March 28, 2020 11:09 PM

New York governor says he will sue Rhode Island if it doesn't retract policy of stopping cars with NY plates From CNN’s Laura Ly

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told CNN he would sue Rhode Island if they did not roll back a policy of stopping all cars with New York license plates, but that he expects the two states will be able to work it out amicably.

"That clearly is unconstitutional," Cuomo said, adding he understands Rhode Island's goal of trying to slow the spread of coronavirus.

"But there's a point of absurdity, and I think what Rhode Island did is at the point of absurdity. Again, it is not even legal," he said.

No state should be using police to prohibit interstate travel in any way, Cuomo said.

by Anonymousreply 300March 28, 2020 11:10 PM

Just I bought masks before this really blew up.

by Anonymousreply 301March 28, 2020 11:12 PM

Off topic. It can be depressing listening to the news all day and night about coronavirus. I called my cable company because I couldn't get onto Amazon Prime. My cable company is offering 4 or 5 premium channels for one full year at $10/month. HBO alone was $16/month. Just thought you might want to check your local cable company as we are going to be in this for the long haul.

by Anonymousreply 302March 28, 2020 11:13 PM

How is the homeless population being affected by all of this? Haven't heard any network or the WH mention them at all.

by Anonymousreply 303March 28, 2020 11:17 PM

Now in Texas they are starting lawsuits against being told to shelter in place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 28, 2020 11:18 PM

My county only has nine cases, but we are on stay at home orders.

I have masks and wear them to my pharmacy, the grocery store, or Walmart. It's pretty impossible to practice social distancing when you're in those stores, and I'm not willing to take any chances.

My neighbors snickered and pointed when they saw me outside. Now I'm being asked if I have any extra masks that I'd like to sell.

by Anonymousreply 305March 28, 2020 11:19 PM

MSNBC Weekends with Alex Witt 3/28/20 | Trump Breaking News March 28, 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 28, 2020 11:24 PM

"That’s especially true because the additional X chromosome that women have plays a role in immune response, so much so that one recent study asserted that “it is clear that sex-specific effects contribute to infectious disease susceptibility and females have a major immunological advantage over males.”

This is transphobic and I am very triggered right now.

But seriously, how is the reaction online from the trans community to this? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 307March 28, 2020 11:27 PM

Yawn, the trolls have to drag trans people into every thread, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 308March 28, 2020 11:37 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME 😺 😾 MARCH 28 - 8:00 PM EST

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 662,598

DEATHS: 30,840

CRITICAL: 25,544

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 123,313

DEATHS: 2,211

CRITICAL: 2,667 - NOT UPDATED

by Anonymousreply 309March 29, 2020 12:09 AM

Why some COVID-19 patients may face problems even after recovery:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310March 29, 2020 12:28 AM

OPINION: Why it's not surprising that coronavirus has Trump's approval rating up -- and why it's not likely to last:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311March 29, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]r304 Now in Texas they are starting lawsuits against being told to shelter in place.

jebus, are they stupid.

You couldn’t pay me to live there.

by Anonymousreply 312March 29, 2020 12:36 AM

R284:

Yesterday NYC Deaths +140

Today NYC Deaths +277 (so far)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 29, 2020 12:50 AM

Yeah, I would like to know how this is hitting the homeless. Are they just letting them die off and hope it spread down Skid Row and Venice Beach and the streets of Frisco?

by Anonymousreply 314March 29, 2020 12:58 AM

As for lawsuits, the NRA is at in California, because the shelter in place order means gun stores have been closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315March 29, 2020 12:59 AM

For those simpletons who can't comprehend the word : EXPONENTIAL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316March 29, 2020 1:03 AM

R243 that is so scary. Some twisted people out there

by Anonymousreply 317March 29, 2020 1:06 AM

We are having severe tornado warnings now. End of times! End of times!

by Anonymousreply 318March 29, 2020 1:10 AM

There are still cruise ships with passengers because only certain ports will let them dock. The Zaandam, the ship that has four deaths, was supposed to end in Chile a week ago, but they refused to allow them to disembark. They got to refuel in Valparaiso and another Holland America ship is met up with them to resupply them.

Most miserable sounding is the Pacific Princess. They managed to get MOST people off on the 21st, but the sick ones who couldn't fly had to stay onboard.

They're now sailing to Los Angeles and won't get there until the end of April. I hope to got Lauren Tewes is sharing her cocaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 29, 2020 1:21 AM

R286 I really hope you are correct in your Pollyannish summation of this pandemic. However based on what South Korea's noted virologist Dr. Kim has said. CoVid -19 will hit the Northern Hemisphere until the summer when the heat and humidity will limit it's shelf life. It will then spread below the equator to winter in the Southern Hemisphere. Where it will infect the billions in Africa South America,South East Asia and Australia will be infected. The death toll will be in the MILLIONS. CoVid-19 will probably mutate and a new strain will deliver the Coupe D'Grace on it's return to the Northern Hemisphere this winter. I believe in the future that history will be dated as BCV. ( Before Corona Virus) and ACV. (After Corona Virus.) It will change the world as we have known it. I hope I'm wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320March 29, 2020 1:26 AM

R319 So that ship, the Zaandam was sailing around with 4 dead people onboard? For how long??

by Anonymousreply 321March 29, 2020 1:27 AM

Cassandra

😰😰😰😰

by Anonymousreply 322March 29, 2020 1:30 AM

I first asked about the homeless a few weeks ago. No one seemed to know or care.

A few days ago their was an article about Corona claiming it's first death among the homeless population. Can't remember if it was in NYC or LA, but it's out there.

by Anonymousreply 323March 29, 2020 1:31 AM

r320 many scientists have said COVID-19 is luckily a relatively "stable" virus, meaning its genetically stable and will mutate slowly. This should enable a usable vaccine to eventually be developed.

by Anonymousreply 324March 29, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote][R319] So that ship, the Zaandam was sailing around with 4 dead people onboard? For how long??

The cruise left from Buenos Aires on March 7th. It was supposed to end in Chile on the 21st, but Chile refused them to do anything more then refuel. They headed up the Pacific side of South America, and only JUST now got the okay for a Panama Canal transit to get them back to Fort Lauderdale. They've lost an American, a Swede, a Brit, and someone from Belgium. They have two confirmed cases and about a hundred people between passengers and crew who have symptoms.

About 1800 people aboard her right now.

by Anonymousreply 325March 29, 2020 1:35 AM

R322

I’ve never wanted to be wrong about something. No one does.

I have gamed this out, and none of the outcomes are good, even with an immediate cure made widely available tomorrow.

I wish I’d been wrong.

WuFlu Boogaloo is a fat tail event that nobody can prepare for.

by Anonymousreply 326March 29, 2020 1:38 AM

R324 Are these the same scientists who recommend herd immunity?

by Anonymousreply 327March 29, 2020 1:40 AM

R325 News broke about the 4 deaths on Friday. They’re just now starting to get some of the passengers offloaded. Those dead people must be starting to stink. Plus there are dozens of passengers who are sick and if they have Covid they could start crashing precipitiously because that’s how covid rolls.

[quote]Business Insider's Áine Cain broke the news of the deaths on board the ship Friday after hearing leaked audio from a sister ship sent to rescue stranded passengers. Holland America confirmed the report soon after it was published, saying in a statement: "Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam."

by Anonymousreply 328March 29, 2020 1:40 AM

Ha

[Quote] "Bad Bitches" are at home googling how to cook chicken for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 329March 29, 2020 1:45 AM

So when do we thinkg deaths in the US will reach 10,000? I'm math challenged, but I'm guessing this Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 330March 29, 2020 1:48 AM

R320 Pollyanna-ish....okay, all I said was based upon current facts and evidence supported by ongoing research into this novel virus. My sources are both from research studies so far as well as updates from UCSF and UCLA infectious diseases (ID) specialists who are researchers in their own right. We get updates from them via internal webinars, and for those of us in the front lines we also speak directly to staff ID specialists. Hell, we get updates from UC Health 5-6 times a day about matters relating to the scientific aspect of things to clinical protocol. From what we've known so far, the SARS-CoV-2 virus is not mutating at rapid rates, in fact it is doing so at a slow pace judging by samples known. R324 is correct, we've been told that this virus is stable compared to the more deadly SARS from 2002 and 2003. There are multiple vaccine being developed and trialed now and in the coming months. The more exciting ones involve RNA vaccines which I'd posted on other threads, these will provide longterm immunity even with viral mutations.

The worse thing we can do right now is trade in fear and panic unnecessarily because the truth is bad enough. We need to deal with rationality and facts with basis in science, not doomsday scenario and blame. Like I say, the truth is scary enough without resorting to mass freakouts.

by Anonymousreply 331March 29, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]Those dead people must be starting to stink.

The ships have morgues. HAL is basically God's waiting room already. You can get dialysis aboard, if you need it.

by Anonymousreply 332March 29, 2020 1:49 AM

R330: 4K by Thurs, 10K by mid April/Easter.

by Anonymousreply 333March 29, 2020 1:51 AM

There was a homeless person who died here in the Bay Area, earlier this week. From what I gather suddenly now it’s possible to get everyone housed in a hotel or other such accommodation.

(funny how the past decade, begging for housing and oh so insurmountable but now we can do it, good but makes the excuses all the more hollow)

I’m scared AF. I knew this shit was bad from when we all were first here together. The way China was silencing people .. I wanted to believe the whole masks are pointless but we were failed there too

Is SARS-Cov2 a bioweapon?

by Anonymousreply 334March 29, 2020 1:56 AM

It took 300 years for the Bubonic plague to finally die out in Europe. Mainly because of generational immunity of the decedents of survivors.

by Anonymousreply 335March 29, 2020 1:56 AM

R334 Humanity is a bio weapon.

by Anonymousreply 336March 29, 2020 1:57 AM

What happens when things keep getting worse and huge amounts of people lose their jobs?

by Anonymousreply 337March 29, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]What happens when things keep getting worse and huge amounts of people lose their jobs?

Huge amounts of people have already lost their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 338March 29, 2020 2:04 AM

[quote] I first asked about the homeless a few weeks ago. No one seemed to know or care.

We're so sorry, but your award ceremony is going to have to be canceled. Maybe by Easter.

by Anonymousreply 339March 29, 2020 2:30 AM

Increase in UK deaths after imported nurses can't handle the whinging poms a moment longer.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340March 29, 2020 2:31 AM

Cruising for a losing breath........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341March 29, 2020 2:35 AM

The closet, even safer than a mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342March 29, 2020 2:40 AM

I bought mask later than some, but I have 10 mask. I feel guilty now because those on the front-line need them more than I do. And yet now it seems we are being told to use mask. The information coming out is conflicting.

by Anonymousreply 343March 29, 2020 2:55 AM

Sex workers have been hit really hard and are applying for jobs in supermarkets. Nobody wants to risk sex with a hoe in a time of plague.

by Anonymousreply 344March 29, 2020 2:58 AM

Would an antihistamine help reduce corona symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 345March 29, 2020 2:59 AM

There was a reason I had you blocked R344.

by Anonymousreply 346March 29, 2020 3:00 AM

'Those dead people must be starting to stink. '

They have mortuary facilities on cruise ships, you spastic. With so many passengers over 70, of fucking course they do. You must have been brought up on a farm.

by Anonymousreply 347March 29, 2020 3:03 AM

'I bought mask later than some, but I have 10 mask'

Use plural nouns, you ugly illiterate spaz.

by Anonymousreply 348March 29, 2020 3:05 AM

Ohio: 1406 cases, 123 in the ICU, 25 dead. That's +10 dead in a day.

It also looks like Corona is probably not be a seasonal flu that will fade out during the summer.

by Anonymousreply 349March 29, 2020 3:07 AM

R349 Countries actually need to control the transmission and minimize the number of infected first no matter if it is going to fade or not. Warmer weather might help slow down transmission but it alone won't suddenly kill the virus and stop transmission.

by Anonymousreply 350March 29, 2020 3:12 AM

[quote]Health insurance premiums could spike as much as 40 percent next year, a new analysis warns, as employers and insurers confront the projected tens of billions of dollars in additional costs of treating coronavirus patients.

Oh great. So glad old Joe Biden wants to keep our great for-profit healthcare system just the way it is and not some crazy healthcare for all thing like every other civilized nation in the world has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351March 29, 2020 3:12 AM

after this is all over surely what Rump admitted doing to that woman governor is an impeachable offense. Can he be impeached twice?

by Anonymousreply 352March 29, 2020 3:14 AM

Fuck it. If we manage to live through this, we'll all be destitute with no insurance and no jobs. What's the point?

by Anonymousreply 353March 29, 2020 3:20 AM

Yes he can R352.

by Anonymousreply 354March 29, 2020 3:23 AM

yes, he can be impeached twice but that is unlikely in an election year. Also, this pandemic will take everyone's time.

by Anonymousreply 355March 29, 2020 3:24 AM

R344, I wonder if they will wrap your meat in a separate bag from the other groceries.

by Anonymousreply 356March 29, 2020 3:27 AM

525 CV deaths yesterday, with more than half (277) in NY. That’s an increase of 30% over the previous day (401.) We’re on the steep part of the curve, like Italy and Spain, just a couple of weeks behind them. And they’re still on the same upward curve, many days into this. Neither one is slowing down or plateauing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357March 29, 2020 3:28 AM

Here’s the thing about the 4 people who died on that cruise ship, the Zaandam: if they died of Covid they died of respiratory failure, literally drowning in their own fluids. Do they have doctors and facilities on those ships capable of intubating and mechanically ventilating people? If not those people died horrible deaths, struggling to breathe.

Just something I’ve been wondering about.

by Anonymousreply 358March 29, 2020 3:37 AM

Cruise ship doctors are generally trained in emergency medicine.

Facilities-wise, I doubt they carry vents. Although they might start now.

by Anonymousreply 359March 29, 2020 3:43 AM

DeSantis wants to intercept any Louisiana travelers from “seeding” the virus in Florida.

It's about a three-hour drive from New Orleans to Pensacola, Florida, and panhandle officials had expressed concerns to him about travelers fleeing the Bayou State and carrying the virus into Florida.

“Look, we’re either trying to fight this virus or we are not,” DeSantis said of his plan that includes a checkpoint on Interstate 10 at the Alabama line and National Guard members greeting travelers from the New York City area at airports.

“We’ve done what we could with New York City and we’re also doing the same with the New Orleans hot spot,” DeSantis said.

His executive orders defined the greater New York City area and Louisiana as areas with substantial community spread. Individuals traveling from those regions must "self-declare" they came from a hot spot and agree to quarantine themselves for 14 days upon arrival in Florida. A violation could mean a 60-day jail sentence and fines of up to $500.

Signs were erected along I-10 to direct eastbound drivers to a checkpoint where they were notified about the requirement. DeSantis said he was also looking at establishing one on I-95 to catch New York travelers.

“Having the 10 and 95 (checkpoints) is good and I think that provides the protection,” DeSantis said when asked about other routes into the state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360March 29, 2020 3:44 AM

what a moron but that's the repub thinking

"keep the non-locals out!!!!"

meanwhile coronavirus is already well established within Florida among Floridians!!!

by Anonymousreply 361March 29, 2020 3:48 AM

Episode 2 of cute Italian guy doing yoga with his dog. His name is Nic Bello and the dog is Pancho. This video has English subtitles.

These videos are 6 years old. I hope Nic and his doggie are OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362March 29, 2020 3:49 AM

New Yorkers are putting different plates on their cars and sneaking in anyway.

by Anonymousreply 363March 29, 2020 3:51 AM

Steven Soderbergh's Contagion cast has reunited to spread infectious knowledge on how to help contain the ongoing coronavirus pandemic that has killed nearly 1,400 people in the United States.

In partnership with Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Laurence Fishburne, and Jennifer Ehle — who all previously appeared among the principal cast of Soderbergh's 2011 thriller about a deadly viral outbreak — teamed for a series of videos in which they share evidence-based information (supplied by university professionals) about COVID-19 in an effort to assist viewers in better protecting themselves and their communities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364March 29, 2020 3:52 AM

R360 This guy on Twitter says these measures are unconstitutional and wouldn’t hold up in court (he’s a NYT correspondent):

[quote]This would likely not hold up in court, constitutional lawyers say, as it violates the Privileges and Immunities Clause in the Constitution, which dates to 1787. That bars discrimination between residents of different states, underpinning the right of interstate travel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365March 29, 2020 3:54 AM

[quote]Facilities-wise, I doubt they carry vents.

They've regulated by ACEP. Cruise ships are required to have a minimum of one vent and one ICU room. The larger ships have 2-3.

by Anonymousreply 366March 29, 2020 3:59 AM

This reminds me of the AIDS epidemic. We were told so many lies and people were dying a horrible death. We haven't come much further than those days.

by Anonymousreply 367March 29, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote]a minimum of one vent and one ICU room. The larger ships have 2-3.

This ship had 4 people die though. (don’t know if it was a ‘larger ship’ either.)

by Anonymousreply 368March 29, 2020 4:03 AM

R331

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369March 29, 2020 4:03 AM

r286/r331: thanks for the confirmation re virus stability. What are your west coast ID contacts telling you re ongoing clinical trials for both vaccines and treatments? I'm on the east coast, and have friends in ID academic research. The Boston hospitals are beginning compassionate use of remdesivir this week, and will begin trials with favivivapir as well. Both not cures, but its thought they may lessen symptoms and aid recovery to as to lessen the burden on the healthcare systems.

by Anonymousreply 370March 29, 2020 4:06 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME - MARCH 29 - 12:10 AM EST

✏️ NATIONL PENCIL DAY

🌐GLOBAL

CASES: 663,741

DEATHS: 30,880

CRITICAL: 25,207

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 123,750

DEATHS: 2,227

CRITICAL: 2,667 - NOT UPDATED

by Anonymousreply 371March 29, 2020 4:11 AM

We are 12 to 18 months away from a vaccine. Even when we get it there won't be enough for billions of people. Too little and too late dude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 29, 2020 4:12 AM

all the deplorables not caring about coronavirus will start to care as epicenters emerge in red states

Florida is shooting up the list this week and they're still way behind on testing. A week from now they'll probably be top 3 after NY and CA

Louisiana, Georgia and Texas rising a lot too

by Anonymousreply 373March 29, 2020 4:13 AM

David Lat is extubated and out of the ICU in case anyone was wondering:

[quote]I don’t want to be presumptuous, since my condition is stable but still serious. I require 24/7 oxygen, I need a nurse’s help for even the simplest tasks, and I only just now progressed to solid foods. So I’m not out of the proverbial woods yet. A number of patients released from the hospital after seemingly successful fights with #Covid19 aka #coronavirus have been readmitted (and some of these patients have even died).

[quote]At the same time, I do have some good news to share (especially since a bunch of “fake news” websites in the Philippines have issued reports of my death - greatly exaggerated, I can assure you). First, I was just transferred out of the ICU - to a floor that’s not nearly as nice, but the transfer bodes well because they save ICU beds for the sickest patients. Second, I’m doing worlds better than I was this time last time last week, when I was unconscious and intubated, having a machine breathe for me because I couldn’t do so myself.

[quote]I also don’t want to be ungrateful. And no matter how my story ends, I know that I will be forever thankful for all of the prayers and thoughts that you have sent me and my family over the past few weeks. I will also be eternally grateful to all the wonderful doctors, nurses, and other dedicated healthcare professionals who are on the front lines of our battle with #Covid19 aka #Coronavirus, here at NYU Langone Health and elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 374March 29, 2020 4:13 AM

I'm just telling you what they're required to have on board, R368. Whether people live or die is another matter entirely.

by Anonymousreply 375March 29, 2020 4:14 AM

R375 Thanks, I appreciate the info. It’s how they died that concerns me, not just the fact that they died.

by Anonymousreply 376March 29, 2020 4:17 AM

Good to hear about David Lat. Thanks for posting that. I do hope he continues to improve and doesn't suffer permanent damage.

by Anonymousreply 377March 29, 2020 4:20 AM

I just blocked R372. I'm sick of the doom-and-gloom assholes on here who are clearly jacking off over this pandemic. I watch the news every day starting in the morning, going through the day, and into the night. I follow this thread. I know how bad the situation is. No one's hiding their head in the sand, but I'm just sick of assholes who have no agenda on here other than trying to spread fear and misinformation. I don't care if this is Datalounge; enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 378March 29, 2020 4:21 AM

I'm in California - we have a relatively very low number of cases per million compared to other states. Is it because we self-quarantined earlier?

I'm glad we're not an epicenter - but why aren't we?

Some articles state that California was the most aggressive against the virus.

by Anonymousreply 379March 29, 2020 4:21 AM

R378 A lot of people here blocked that asshole a long time ago so welcome to the club. Everyone just block him and don't engage these trolls.

by Anonymousreply 380March 29, 2020 4:40 AM

R378

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381March 29, 2020 4:40 AM

R367 Well, nothing has changed. That is exactly how the US will deal with this epidemic. Lie and ignore the dying to save a buck. If you die, it's your fault and/or God's will.

by Anonymousreply 382March 29, 2020 4:43 AM

James Dolan tests positive for the virus. He's the owner of the Knicks etc, also only mild symptoms...seems like all the rich cunts got the mild cases...

by Anonymousreply 383March 29, 2020 4:52 AM

R383 Because they are getting the plasma transfusions of Corona recovered patients which contain anti bodies to CO VID-19, Trump and his crime family got them first. The thought is this provides some protection for a limited time.

by Anonymousreply 384March 29, 2020 5:16 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 29, 2020 5:28 AM

[quote] Those dead people must be starting to stink.

It used to be a lot easier when people who died at sea were just wrapped up in a sailcloth shroud with a few cannonballs or leg irons to serve as weight and tossed overboard.

by Anonymousreply 386March 29, 2020 5:42 AM

The posters who keep bleating " a vaccine is being developed". I would ask them it's been 30 years since HIV was identified as the cause of human AIDS. Do we have a vaccine? HIV affected a small amount of the world's population. It was a hard virus to contract. COVID-19 is a easy virus to contract and affects the total world population 7 BILLION people. This is not gloom and doom. This is not panic. This is not trolling. This is reality.

by Anonymousreply 387March 29, 2020 5:47 AM

Lolz

[Quote] Feels like we're 3-4 weeks away from learning everyone's real hair color.

by Anonymousreply 388March 29, 2020 6:09 AM

Yes but treatments for HIV were eventually developed that have allowed people to live with the virus, keeping it down to nearly imperceptible levels in many. The progress in treatments is thought to allow many living with HIV to have full and relatively healthy life spans.

It was the threat and horror of HIV that birthed the modern virology research movement. This movement has brought us many advanced treatments, and a much better understanding of viruses in general. Its this same therapeutic area with the same brilliant talent that will help defeat, or at least minimize, the COVID-19 threat.

Look at all the HIV-related treatments that have been making news for weeks, as potentially useful for COVID patients. There are several in trials right now. If a vaccine isn't created soon, there will very likely be an effective therapeutic "cocktail" that will be used to minimize symptoms; if used in combination with proper widespread testing methodology imo, a handle on this will be had.

by Anonymousreply 389March 29, 2020 6:09 AM

A successful vaccine has NEVER been developed for any of the many known Corona Viruses.

by Anonymousreply 390March 29, 2020 6:18 AM

R385 Thanks for this amazing, well-written account from a doctor on the front lines. Reminder to all of us: Stay the fuck home and get out of the way. This crazy virus causes random people to go from healthy to choking to death within days. The least we all can do to help is stay home for two weeks. If we don't get out of the way now voluntarily, many of us will die horrible deaths.

by Anonymousreply 391March 29, 2020 6:59 AM

^^two weeks? More like, two months.

by Anonymousreply 392March 29, 2020 7:14 AM

Yes! All of us! Voluntarily! Think of these doctors and nurses. We can do this. Maybe before dashing off to the store at odd hours, ask a friend or neighbor if they need a item. We can all help the situation.

by Anonymousreply 393March 29, 2020 7:30 AM

[QUOTE] Even when we get it there won't be enough for billions of people

The insane catastrophe queen has gone from saying millions will die to saying billions. A vaccine is already being put through human trials and could be available by Xmas. The process is being fast-tracked like never before. I know this news hurts you, as you live for the death toll to rise. Let's hope you get it.

by Anonymousreply 394March 29, 2020 8:23 AM

How did the US go from barely testing for the virus to human testing a vaccine? They can't even keep their stories straight anymore! Gotta keep up that bat soup cover story!

by Anonymousreply 395March 29, 2020 9:35 AM

Update for Belgium. 78 additional deaths (431 total) and 1702 new cases (10836 total) in the last 24 hrs. Based on our population (12 M), the death toll is the equivalent of +11000 deaths in the US. Definitely feeling blue this morning and it's my birthday. No special plans due to the lockdown. Will try to get some fresh air in my garden and make the most of it. That's all that we can do.

by Anonymousreply 396March 29, 2020 9:46 AM

Happy birthday, r396. Step away from the news and enjoy your time in the garden.

by Anonymousreply 397March 29, 2020 9:52 AM

Just FYI, since I've been reading up on it, it now seems that nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting can be early signs, even before the more famous fever, cough, trouble breathing symptoms. I'm reading up on it because for the first time in years, I just started experiencing some of those symptoms. I hope doctors are taking these signs more seriously than I suspect they are because those who start with those symptoms are also seen to have a rougher case throughout.

Anyone else having these issues who hasn't had them regularly in their past? I'm really hoping it's just something I ate but the fever and respiratory symptoms, etc., don't usually show up for a couple of days after the gastro symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 398March 29, 2020 12:30 PM

IMO, antibody testing would be much more valuable, practical and realistic right now. I believe there is a HUGE portion of the population in hard hit areas who have had it and are now largely immune. These people could be doing so much to help us - both medically and economically. But we can’t even test the sick - which is absurd and a disgraceful failure.

I think CA - especially the SF area - were brilliant in locking down early. I bet there the outbreak there was significantly contained by their actions.

by Anonymousreply 399March 29, 2020 2:08 PM

There are 7.5 BILLION humans on this planet. It is estimated that only 2% may have a "natural immunity" to COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 400March 29, 2020 2:15 PM

It looks like my epidemiologist friend was right, by the time this thing runs its course the UK will really have had its ass kicked in quite a shocking manner.

by Anonymousreply 401March 29, 2020 2:40 PM

Nurse who battled coronavirus on the front lines dies from illness herself

A Miami nurse was killed by coronavirus after working on the front lines to help patients hit by the dangerous bug, according to a report.

Araceli Buendia Ilagan, 63, came down with the illness while working in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital, news station WSVN reported.

The Jackson H ealth System, which runs the hospital, confirmed on Saturday that she “recently died from complications of COVID-19.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402March 29, 2020 2:48 PM

Dutch coronavirus cases pass 10,000

From CNN’s Arnaud Siad

The number of people in the Netherlands who have tested positive for Covid-19 has now passed 10,000, according the Dutch Ministry of Health said Sunday.

Some 10,866 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus — an increase of 1,104 new confirmed cases since Saturday.

The total number of reported deaths now stands at 771, an increase of 132 people since Saturday.

In its update, the Ministry said the number of reported hospital admissions and the number of deceased patients “appears to be increasing less rapidly than would be expected without measures in place.

by Anonymousreply 403March 29, 2020 3:03 PM

UK records 209 coronavirus deaths in past 24 hours

From CNN's Lindsay Isaac in London

There have been another 209 coronavirus related deaths in the UK in the past 24 hours, bringing the total deaths to 1,228, Public Health England said on Sunday.

A further 2,433 people have tested positive for the coronavirus, with a total of 19,522 confirmed cases in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 404March 29, 2020 3:04 PM

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, wife of Canadian Prime Minister, says she has recovered from Covid-19

From CNN's Paula Newton

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, the wife of Canada’s Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, announced Saturday evening on Instagram that she has fully recovered from Covid-19.

The good news is that I have a clear bill of health now by medical professionals so I’m super happy,” she said in an Instagram post in both English and French.

“From the bottom of my heart, I want to say thank you to everyone who reached out to me with their well wishes. And to everyone who is suffering right now, I send you all my love,” she added.

Gregoire Trudeau tested positive for the virus on March 12 after a visit to the UK.

Justin Trudeau not tested: Since the announcement, Justin Trudeau has remained in quarantine at his Ottawa home with his wife and 3 children. He has been holding meetings virtually and has been giving daily press briefings outside his home.

Trudeau and his children have not been tested for Covid-19 and the prime minister has said that he and the kids have not shown any symptoms.

When asked if he would be resuming a more regular schedule including in-person meetings, Trudeau said earlier Saturday that he and his family would continue to follow the advice of medical professionals.

by Anonymousreply 405March 29, 2020 3:05 PM

1,000 new confirmed Covid-19 cases in Switzerland in a day

From CNN’s Arnaud Siad in London

Switzerland registered 1,123 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the number of cases to 14,336, the Swiss Federal Office for Public Health said Sunday.

A total of 257 people have died due to coronavirus -- an additional 22 people since Saturday, when when about 111,000 tests were carried out for Covid-19 with 13% turning out positive.

All 26 Swiss canton member states and the principality of Liechtenstein are affected.

by Anonymousreply 406March 29, 2020 3:06 PM

Former Sarkozy and Chirac Minister dies after Covid-19 infection

From CNN's Benjamin Berteau in Paris and Arnaud Siad in London

A well-known French politician has died after contracting coronavirus, the Department of Hauts-de-Seine said on Sunday.

Patrick Devedjian, who was a Cabinet minister and adviser to former presidents Jacques Chirac and Nicolas Sarkozy, said in a tweet on Thursday, that he had contracted Covid-19 and was hospitalized: “Tired but stable [thanks to doctors and health workers], I’m recovering.”

Devedjian was 75.

by Anonymousreply 407March 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Well known 75 YEAR OLD former Cabinet minister dies. This illness is killing children!

by Anonymousreply 408March 29, 2020 3:28 PM

French teen is youngest known to die from coronavirus in Europe

A 16-year-old French schoolgirl with no underlying health problems has become the youngest person in Europe to die of COVID-19, according to reports.

The girl — only being identified as Julie A. — died late Tuesday at Necker children’s hospital in Paris after a “violent” decline from what appeared to be just a “slight cough,” her family told French media.

“It’s unbearable,” the girl’s mother, Sabine, told Agence France-Presse (AFP). “We were meant to have an ordinary life.”

Julie first saw a doctor on Sunday for the cough — with the disease making a “violent” acceleration before her death, her sister, Manon, told Le Parisien newspaper.

Her family insisted in interviews that Julie had no health conditions that made them fear she was at risk.

“From the start, we were told that the virus doesn’t affect young people. We believed it, like everyone else,” her mother told AFP.

Manon also said her sister’s death proved that we “must stop believing that this only affects the elderly.” “No one is invincible against this mutant virus,” she added.

The teen is the youngest known to have died in Europe from the devastating spread of the novel coronavirus, according to the Evening Standard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409March 29, 2020 3:32 PM

TMZ @TMZ Queen Elizabeth's Footman Reportedly Tests Positive for Coronavirus

by Anonymousreply 410March 29, 2020 3:36 PM

730 uniformed NYPD officers infected with coronavirus, official says From CNN's Shimon Prokupecz

There are 730 uniformed New York Police department officers infected with coronavirus, as well as 96 civilian NYPD employees, bringing the total to 826 positive coronavirus cases, according to a law enforcement official.

Twenty-nine of the individuals are hospitalized and one is in critical condition, the official said.

Beyond these cases, the department — which has about 36,000 officers — has over 4,662 officers out sick, which is about 12% of the department.

by Anonymousreply 411March 29, 2020 3:37 PM

A German finance minister for the state of Hesse (which includes Frankfurt) committed suicide due to anxiety over the financial consequences of COVID-19:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412March 29, 2020 3:39 PM

Food, porn and TV. Just another day for me. I do worry about catching it using drive thru and my many trips to grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 413March 29, 2020 3:50 PM

Happy Sunday to my DL loves. You make me laugh through my tears and fears. Stay safe.

💕

by Anonymousreply 414March 29, 2020 4:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415March 29, 2020 4:01 PM

R415: Tony is fired!

by Anonymousreply 416March 29, 2020 4:03 PM

At least 8 strains of the coronavirus are spreading across the globe

Scientists have identified at least eight strains of coronavirus as the bug wreaks havoc spreading across the globe.

More than 2,000 genetic sequences of the virus have been submitted from labs to the open database NextStain, which shows it mutating on maps in realtime, according to the site.

More than 2,000 genetic sequences of the virus have been submitted from labs to the open database NextStain, which shows it mutating on maps in realtime, according to the site.

Researchers said the data, which includes samples every continent except Antarctica, revealed the virus is mutating on average every 15 days, National Geographic reported.

But Nextstrain cofounder Trevor Bedford said the mutations are so small that there is no strain of the virus that is more harmful.

“These mutations are completely benign and useful as a puzzle piece to uncover how the virus is spreading,” Bedford told the outlet.

He said the various strains allow researchers to see whether community transmission is widespread throughout a region, which can inform whether lockdown measures have been effective.

“We’ll be able to tell how much less transmission we’re seeing and answer the question, ‘Can we take our foot off the gas?’” Bedford said.

Charles Chiu, a professor of medicine and infectious disease at the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, said that the database also provides insight into how the virus is moving throughout the US, according to USA Today.

“The outbreaks are trackable,” Chiu said. “We have the ability to do genomic sequencing almost in real-time to see what strains or lineages are circulating.”

Most of the cases on the West Coast are linked to a strain first identified in Washington state, which is only three mutations away from the first known strain, the outlet reported.

Meanwhile, on the East Coast, the virus appeared to have come from China to Europe and then to New York and other states.

But Kristian Andersen, a professor at Scripps Research, cautioned that the maps don’t show the full picture of the spread of the virus.

“Remember, we’re seeing a very small glimpse into the much larger pandemic,” Anderson told USA Today. “We have half a million described cases right now but maybe 1,000 genomes sequenced. So there are a lot of lineages we’re missing.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417March 29, 2020 4:05 PM

Cuomo time!

by Anonymousreply 418March 29, 2020 4:05 PM

The Queen is next.

A royal footman who is in regular contact with Queen Elizabeth II has tested positive for coronavirus, according to a report.

The positive test is just the latest alarm for the royal household, with a Buckingham Palace staffer reportedly becoming infected while the Queen was there — and even Prince Charles, 71, testing positive for the potentially deadly bug.

“Everyone is terrified, not just for themselves but also for the Queen and the Duke,” a royal source told The Sun of the 93-year-old monarch and her husband, Prince Philip, who turns 99 in June.

“There is a palpable sense of fear in the air at the moment.”

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh Philip have been holed up in Windsor Castle during the pandemic. Buckingham Palace insisted to The Sun that the Queen remains in good health.

The report did not state where the infected footman was stationed when he tested positive. He is now in self-isolation, the UK paper said.

His duties included taking drinks and meals to the Queen, introducing guests, handing her messages and walking her beloved dogs — a corgi and dachshund crossbreed named Vulcan and Candy, The Sun said.

“The whole thing is now becoming incredibly serious and somewhat scary,” the royal source told the paper.

“Everyone is wondering — who’s next and what’s next?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419March 29, 2020 4:07 PM

Huh, so West Coast gets the direct from Asia strain and East Coast the Italian strain?

by Anonymousreply 420March 29, 2020 4:07 PM

NYC total positive cases 33, 768, 4002 new cases (in the city).

by Anonymousreply 421March 29, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] “The whole thing is now becoming incredibly serious and somewhat scary,” the royal source told the paper.

NOW!?

Sod off, Royal Source.

by Anonymousreply 422March 29, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] “The whole thing is now becoming incredibly serious and somewhat scary,” the royal source told the paper.

NOW!?

Sod off, Royal Source.

by Anonymousreply 423March 29, 2020 4:16 PM

59513 tested positive in NY state

by Anonymousreply 424March 29, 2020 4:17 PM

I guess that would make sense, R420, although first Coronavirus case reported in NY was a woman who had recently returned from Iran.

by Anonymousreply 425March 29, 2020 4:18 PM

Can you imagine the Queen having to do all her own cooking and cleaning?

by Anonymousreply 426March 29, 2020 4:19 PM

The title of this thread should be [italic]

Trump is Killing Me !

by Anonymousreply 427March 29, 2020 4:27 PM

The title of this thread should be [italic]

Trump is Killing Me !

by Anonymousreply 428March 29, 2020 4:27 PM

Cuomo talking about spaghetti, meatballs and sausage...the Fraus out there are going to love him even more.

by Anonymousreply 429March 29, 2020 4:29 PM

Coronavirus Entertainment Business News

Stephen Colbert resumes new broadcasts (from his home) on March 30th. It appears he will fill the entire hour with new content.

Last week Jimmy Fallon did about 1/2 of his show from home and then pasted that on top of an older show's celebrity interview.

by Anonymousreply 430March 29, 2020 4:34 PM

Who is the hottie with the beard all the way at the end who never gets to speak? I think I'd like to be quarantined with him, whoever he is.

by Anonymousreply 431March 29, 2020 4:35 PM

I want spaghetti, meatballs and sausage now!!

by Anonymousreply 432March 29, 2020 4:36 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME MARCH 29 - 12:30 PM EST

🍭 SOMETHING ON A STICK DAY

📝NATIONAL PENCIL DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 701,793

DEATHS: 33,175

CRITICAL: 26,377

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 131,403

DEATHS: 2,239

CRITICAL: 2,948

by Anonymousreply 433March 29, 2020 4:38 PM

^DEATHS: 2329

by Anonymousreply 434March 29, 2020 4:40 PM

How much longer until we eclipse 9/11 in number of deaths?

by Anonymousreply 435March 29, 2020 4:42 PM

Seriously r434..... Excuse my mild to moderate dyslexia.

by Anonymousreply 436March 29, 2020 4:45 PM

Walmart reports a large increase in the sale of tops, and a marked declined in the sale of bottoms, as more Americans are working from home.

😂 😂 😂 [italic] Who Knew !

by Anonymousreply 437March 29, 2020 4:51 PM

Cuomo's remarks are making me very nostalgic, longing for those big Sunday Dinners at my Grampa's house. Plenty pasta,sauce, meatballs, sausage, salad, Italian bread, and desserts. Everything fresh & homemade, plenty for everyone!

by Anonymousreply 438March 29, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]What happens when things keep getting worse and huge amounts of people lose their jobs?

Huge amounts of people won't lose their jobs, R337. Huge [italic]numbers[/italic] of people will lose their jobs.

Although number and amount have similar meanings, number is used for things that can be counted, while amount is used for things that cannot be counted.

by Anonymousreply 439March 29, 2020 5:02 PM

R439 I'm not that poster, but thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 440March 29, 2020 5:03 PM

I know this is in poor taste, but...

As a Brit who's heard Brexiteers repeat the mantra "We survived World War II, we can survive outside the EU" God knows how many times over the past four years, I'm starting to wonder if a higher power decided to send a virus that's primarily killing people who actually survived World War II.

by Anonymousreply 441March 29, 2020 5:16 PM

R395 Vaccine trials can be fast-tracked and this is done by directives. It allows the trial process to progress through the multiple phases more rapidly, mostly in approving the first phase of the trial so that more vaccines can be tested. To even be granted approval to begin a trial is the most usually the most difficult part. Tons of adherence to regulatory protocol and that is why many drugs being developed don't make it to approval to begin trial. You have to show basic safety for the human test subjects after it's been tested on non-human animals in the lab. Not all vaccines will progress to the second phase or third phase. The first phase will involve small numbers of volunteer subjects, evidence will be gathered to for safety and adverse effects of the specific vaccine tested. By the second and third phases, we'll generally get a better idea of how effective the vaccine in question really is, because this phase is tested on greater number of people in areas that are affected by SARS-CoV-19 virus.

R390 There were promising vaccines being developed for SARS and MERS. However the containment strategies were successful as were supportive care for those who were infected subsequent to the first round of infections. Because the spread was largely contained to regional outbreaks, there weren't enough impetus, political or financial, to finish research trials. If we had a vaccine for say, the original SARS which is in the coronavirus family, then it would make it easier for scientists to go forward with trials for this novel coronavirus. It is more difficult to make a vaccine for a novel virus because it is just that, new/ novel. A lot of the fault rests upon WHO which has a cozy relationship with China if not under China's thumb, it could have stepped up in its public health role by promoting the development of a SARS vaccine back in 2002-2003. But as always it got complacent and acquiesced to China's don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to being proactive about infectious disease prevention and outbreaks.

by Anonymousreply 442March 29, 2020 5:25 PM

R441, have a think about that remark.

by Anonymousreply 443March 29, 2020 5:25 PM

The healthy (read: asymptomatic) passengers on the Zaandam are in the process of being transferred to sister ship Rotterdam. The Panamanian government is only allowing that because they're so far off-shore.

The four bodies will remain aboard the Zaandam.

by Anonymousreply 444March 29, 2020 5:40 PM

Some basics of the newest vaccine models being tested for this virus. My understanding is that this vaccine technology has been around for the past 5-10 years. RNA vaccines are not attenuated vaccines but it involves the vaccine giving you the genetic blueprint. RNA is a messenger that carries genetic blueprint from the DNA to control protein synthesis in all cells. Basically think of RNA as a translator of proteins. With RNA vaccines, you're injected with instructions of RNA coding for antigen into your antigen-presenting cells. We have antigen presenting cells that are like police cars patrolling for pathogens and destroying them, but not before presenting the protein antigens to immune cells. These encoded RNA is like the teacher that instructs our antigen presenting cells to produce surface protein antigens which in turn stimulate certain immune cells to recognize these antigens. Once the recognition is there, these immune cells go on to produce antibodies against the virus. It's a direct response that provides long-term memory against subsequent exposure to the same virus or mutated variants of that virus. The last point is what sets it apart from attenuated vaccines. Our bodies can adjust if necessary to target the virus as it mutates. So there's a primary response (injected vaccine) and then a secondary response (exposure to pathogen) which confers acute and longterm protection. There is also added benefit which includes shorter production time compared to attenuated vaccines, meaning vaccines can be manufactured quicker and in larger quantities.

by Anonymousreply 445March 29, 2020 5:45 PM

Why is this Youtube video associating trans folx with the coronavirus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446March 29, 2020 5:51 PM

R398

The last week of January I had what I thought was food poisoning, lasting two days, immediately followed by an intense flu-like sickness (respiratory symptoms, fever, and chills) that lasted over a week. I live in the Pacific Northwest and, around that time, had made frequent trips to the Seattle, where the virus is known to have been circulating since mid-January. I'd eaten raw oysters just before getting sick, so attributed the GI symptoms to possibly something seafood-borne. I thought the respiratory distress to be a coincidental cold or flu. Now I wonder if I actually had CV and got over it. It'd be nice if there were an antibody test available.

by Anonymousreply 447March 29, 2020 6:00 PM

I never really liked Trevor Noah but his interview with dr Anthony made me hot and bothered down there. might start watching his talk show. Maher is gone , as is John Oliver even Samantha bee ,I taped Fallon but haven't watched yet,never got into Kimmel. I'm glad colbert is going to do shows and I worship seth Meyersand watch his YouTube show.

by Anonymousreply 448March 29, 2020 6:02 PM

I never really liked Trevor Noah but his interview with dr Anthony made me hot and bothered down there. might start watching his talk show. Maher is gone , as is John Oliver even Samantha bee ,I taped Fallon but haven't watched yet,never got into Kimmel. I'm glad colbert is going to do shows and I worship seth Meyersand watch his YouTube show.

by Anonymousreply 449March 29, 2020 6:02 PM

There is R447.

by Anonymousreply 450March 29, 2020 6:03 PM

r449 Trevor Noah is so cute and charming you forget you don't like him within 10 seconds of him speaking, its quite an amazing talent he has!

by Anonymousreply 451March 29, 2020 6:07 PM

BBC-Authorities in Moscow have tightened restrictions on the movement of people in a bid to contain the spread of coronavirus, meaning residents can only leave their homes for urgent and limited purposes. From Monday, people in the Russian capital will only be allowed to leave their homes to seek urgent medical help, go to work if they are required to, shop for basic necessities such as food and medicine and throw out household waste. On his blog, Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin also said people can walk their pets “no more than 100 metres from their place of residence”.

by Anonymousreply 452March 29, 2020 6:12 PM

How come Mitch McConnell can't get the Corona? Someone cough on him or his wife.

by Anonymousreply 453March 29, 2020 6:23 PM

First coronavirus death of an infant:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454March 29, 2020 6:36 PM

This video was posted in the 'hopeful/good news' thread, but it deserves to be shared here. Watch at least the first 20 minutes. It helped me with my anxiety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455March 29, 2020 6:44 PM

R324 We're very lucky here in SF to have Dr. Charles Chiu as a leading ID researcher among a team of other ID experts and researchers in the SF Bay Area. We also happen to be the epicenter of biotech companies that are of great help to the researchers working on the surveillance of the virus as well as antiviral for treatment and vaccine for prevention.

As for your other question about treatment, this is something that is evolving so every day there are more updates. Based upon limited but promising evidence, it appears that Remdesivir is the most promising of the off-label medications that are under investigation. In China they've been using Tocilizumab (Actemra) to treat COVID-19 pneumonia. Tocilizumab is an anti-IL6 medication (immunosuppressive) prescribed to treat rheumatoid arthritis and cytokine release syndrome (CRS). CRS in critically-ill pneumonia patients is a serious cascading course that leads to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and multi organ failure. In critically-ill COVID-19 pneumonia patients, CRS tend to occur around day 10 or so of illness. Tocilizumab is made by Genetech which we're told has made a stockpile of the medication available for HHS if needed. Also the FDA has approved just few days ago the RCT Phase 3 trial of Tocilizumab for the treatment of COVID-19 pneumonia. Because it is already an approved, ongoing trial there's a good chance that critically-ill ICU patients with COVID-19 pneumonia are receiving this now. I'll post on what we know about some of the course of illness and supportive treatments being used currently, many of which are trial and error by those in the ICUs not RCT evidence-based.

Regarding the mutability of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, all indications so far (knock on wood) is that this is a slow-mutating virus with only around 10-11 genetic differences between the strains. For the virus to have so few and insignificant mutations for having infected such large number of people is also somewhat reassuring, if you want to call anything that has to do with a novel virus reassuring. So because of this slow rate of mutation, the current thinking is that a vaccine will be a single vaccine rather than something akin to the flu vaccine. The flu virus genome is more elusive than the SARS-CoV-2 virus because the flu virus genome had broken segments that can swap segments with other flu viruses thus creating new strain. This is something that the SARS-CoV-2 doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 456March 29, 2020 7:08 PM

my democratic governor has put a temporary ban on abortion. During this crisis what is the purpose of that ?

by Anonymousreply 457March 29, 2020 7:29 PM

Unnecessary medical procedure?

by Anonymousreply 458March 29, 2020 7:32 PM

R457, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 459March 29, 2020 7:35 PM

459 Ky and it was Lt Governor.

by Anonymousreply 460March 29, 2020 7:44 PM

459 Ky and it was Lt Governor.

by Anonymousreply 461March 29, 2020 7:44 PM

R449, Real Time with Bill Maher will be back next Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 462March 29, 2020 8:08 PM

^^^from his backyard.

by Anonymousreply 463March 29, 2020 8:14 PM

R457 It could be that they're using abortion clinics for coronavirus patients.

by Anonymousreply 464March 29, 2020 8:15 PM

Fucking moron.

BBC-Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has laughed off the suggestion that his country should try to stem the spread of the coronavirus, because he can't see the virus "flying around".

by Anonymousreply 465March 29, 2020 8:25 PM

R464, most abortions involve only the administration of a pill. They are not "medical procedures" and abortion clinics are not equipped to be hospitals. It's probably just moralistic overreaching.

by Anonymousreply 466March 29, 2020 8:41 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME 🍭 ✏️ MARCH 29 - 5:45 PM EST

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 717,656

DEATHS: 33,876

CRITICAL: 26,737

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 138,908

DEATHS: 2,438

CASES: 2,948

by Anonymousreply 467March 29, 2020 8:46 PM

Detroit's convention center is being turned into a makeshift, 900-bed hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468March 29, 2020 8:53 PM

Ohio: 1653 cases, 139 in the ICU, 403 in the hospital, 29 dead. 14 cases in my county now.

And I'm still having to argue with people that this shit is real and dangerous, and no we can't just open everything back up because Trump says so.

by Anonymousreply 469March 29, 2020 8:54 PM

Am Joy 3/29/20 [11AM|FULL] | MSNBC News Weekend March 29, 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470March 29, 2020 8:56 PM

Trump finally has his priorities in order.

As thousands are dying, the U.S. surpasses every other country in number of cases, and hospitals scramble to treat everyone, Trump is on Twitter, bragging that the ratings for his press conferences are equal to those of the finale of "The Bachelor."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471March 29, 2020 8:57 PM

Fuck Joy Reid, that homophobic cunt. She has nothing worth listening to.

by Anonymousreply 472March 29, 2020 8:57 PM

The tweets R471, are disgusting and despicable. I was furious when I saw them. In two days time we have jumped from 100,000 cases to 138,000 cases. We’ve now lost nearly 2,500 of our fellow citizens. And this vile monster, this carnival barking clown, has the fucking nerve to talk about his ratings. He’s a hateful piece of shit. Truly evil. May karma smack him back 10,000 times over.

by Anonymousreply 473March 29, 2020 9:04 PM

I'd rather listen to her than you any day, R472.

by Anonymousreply 474March 29, 2020 9:04 PM

Country singer Joe Diffie has died from it

by Anonymousreply 475March 29, 2020 9:05 PM

Somebody tweets back to him a simple, precise: What is wrong with you?

Being on DL you get used to pathologies, but this guy... go figure... I sometimes think he’s actually his own mental illness, yet unstudied and unnamed.

by Anonymousreply 476March 29, 2020 9:06 PM

r475, do you think the death of a beloved country singer will wake the deplorables up to the reality of the situation?

by Anonymousreply 477March 29, 2020 9:09 PM

[quote] I'd rather listen to her than you any day, [R472].

You're on a gay website, hon. Not a good look for you.

by Anonymousreply 478March 29, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote] [R475], do you think the death of a beloved country singer will wake the deplorables up to the reality of the situation?

I hoped this for a minute, but then remembered that Trump supporters would rather sacrifice their elders in order to "stimulate the economy" so they probably regard the death of some has been country singer as collateral damage.

by Anonymousreply 479March 29, 2020 9:14 PM

The mayor of our town is finally taking things seriously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480March 29, 2020 9:23 PM

[quote] I sometimes think he’s actually his own mental illness, yet unstudied and unnamed.

I go along with psychologist John Gartner's diagnosis: MALIGNANT NARCISSISM.

[quote] John Gartner, Ph.D., is a psychologist who taught at Johns Hopkins University Medical School for 28 years. He says yes, the president has malignant narcissism, as follows in his chapter in the book Rocket Man: Nuclear Madness and the Mind of Donald Trump (2018):

[quote] “Trump suffers from malignant narcissism, a diagnosis [that is] far more toxic and dangerous than mere narcissistic personality disorder because it combines narcissism with three other severely pathological components: paranoia, sociopathy, and sadism. When combined, this perfect storm of psychopathology defines the ‘quintessence of evil,’ according to Fromm, the closest thing psychiatry has to describing a true human monster.”7

[quote] Gartner goes on to describe Trump’s narcissism (he knows “more about everything than anyone” and “has empathy for no one but himself”); paranoia (“his demonization of the press, minorities, immigrants, and anyone who disagrees with him, are all signs of paranoia”); sociopathy (“a diagnosis that describes people who constantly lie, violate norms and laws, exploits other people, and show no remorse”); and sadism (“He takes gleeful pleasure in harming and humiliating other people. He is undoubtedly the most prolific cyberbully in history.”).8

by Anonymousreply 481March 29, 2020 9:27 PM

[quote]The tweets [R471], are disgusting and despicable. I was furious when I saw them. In two days time we have jumped from 100,000 cases to 138,000 cases. We’ve now lost nearly 2,500 of our fellow citizens. And this vile monster, this carnival barking clown, has the fucking nerve to talk about his ratings. He’s a hateful piece of shit. Truly evil. May karma smack him back 10,000 times over.

I was on the phone today with a former co-worker who doesn't like Trump but thinks Democrats are wrong to criticize him for his handling of the pandemic. She said Trump is "simply doing the best he can" with the situation. Huh? I mean, everyone has a right to their opinion but there are some things that I just feel are so beyond debate at this point -- i.e., his behavior during this entire event is so well-documented that I can't fathom anyone who's not a Trump-loving deplorable being even a little bit conflicted about it, but there you go.

by Anonymousreply 482March 29, 2020 9:29 PM

Yup. Sounds exactly right, R481.

by Anonymousreply 483March 29, 2020 9:31 PM

Sorry if this has been posted before in one of the past threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484March 29, 2020 9:37 PM

Oh for fucks sake. Now John Prine is in the ICU with coronavirus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485March 29, 2020 9:49 PM

....LOL!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486March 29, 2020 9:51 PM

Why is everyone at the WH briefing starting their sentences with thanking assclown for his "great leadership". What a bunch of ass kissers?

Did the WH issue a requirement to thank the Orange fucker for his leadership or mention leadership in their statements? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 487March 29, 2020 10:03 PM

Trump just basically accused Cuomo of stealing 300,000 masks for personal profit.

"300,000 masks,? 300,000 masks? Why so many? Where are they going? Out the back door? Look at the numbers, I don't understand it, why do they suddenly need so many?"

How embarrassing for our country. The whole world is watching the idiot pretending to know what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 488March 29, 2020 10:04 PM

No, they're not, they have their own problems at the moment.

Hard for Yanks to believe, but you lot are really not that interesting, especially now.

by Anonymousreply 489March 29, 2020 10:05 PM

Trump wants to SAVE THE CORPORATIONS.

by Anonymousreply 490March 29, 2020 10:07 PM

So what's your big problem, making sure you don't run out of toast and beans?

Good luck with that R489.

by Anonymousreply 491March 29, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]How embarrassing for our country. The whole world is watching the idiot pretending to know what he's doing.

Are you aware of how seriously the EU has fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 492March 29, 2020 10:11 PM

Now he’s accusing Cuomo and de Blasio of stealing masks? Lying about shortages? What exactly is the maniac spewing about?

by Anonymousreply 493March 29, 2020 10:14 PM

10 000 emergency ventilaitors? What? That’s nothing.

by Anonymousreply 494March 29, 2020 10:17 PM

Europe is basically locked up. Sweden is behind as is Russia but both are closing their borders. It is the only way at this moment to slow down the virus from spreading around. ER units are tight with equipments all over the world. I don’t understand why this basic effective operation hasn’t been ordered in US. Yes, there are large cities but also large police and military units. I’m afraid US will be in deep chaos very soon. I hope I am wrong. But listening to Cheeto he still doesn’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 495March 29, 2020 10:17 PM

R492 What do you mean? European countries are taking this very seriously. Borders are closed, people are in isolation, restaurant bars gyms all closed. People over 70 are is self quarantine. Spain and Italy have closed the entire nation.

by Anonymousreply 496March 29, 2020 10:21 PM

That tweet...he's still a reality TV show host.

by Anonymousreply 497March 29, 2020 10:21 PM

Well r491 it isn't watching your pathetic excuse for a leader fuck up *yet again* -- that ceased to be interesting long ago, when the rest of the world collectively realized that America is doomed and can be safely ignored from here on in.

by Anonymousreply 498March 29, 2020 10:27 PM

Fucking idiot talking about generators now. It's ventilators, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 499March 29, 2020 10:30 PM

AP:

Trump extends federal social distancing guidance for 30 days as scientists warn virus continues to spread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500March 29, 2020 10:32 PM

R496 Europe was too late and too slow with closing things down (which is why they’re in the shape they’re in.) Italy is just now doing things they should have done weeks ago.

And the US is just as bad btw.

by Anonymousreply 501March 29, 2020 10:37 PM

R496 Everything was done behind the curve. Also there is no cooperation and solidarity among the member states. It's like the EU never even planned for a massive emergency situation like this.

by Anonymousreply 502March 29, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote]What do you mean? European countries are taking this very seriously.

Yeah, I guess so. Now with about 22,000 deaths between Italy, France, Spain, Germany and the UK.

They're doing a wonderful job.

by Anonymousreply 503March 29, 2020 10:41 PM

R502 Same thing is true with the US. No national leadership. Only China, S Korea, Singapore and Taiwan had the balls to do what is needed.

by Anonymousreply 504March 29, 2020 10:42 PM

🙉. Listen Up, Bitches ......

No matter where you are in the world, we all going through the worst of times. Inept leadership, and total lack of preparedness is a problem in every nation. And it's not going to be over anytime soon, so you all damn well better learn to get along if we're gonna survive The Dreaded Corona.

by Anonymousreply 505March 29, 2020 10:46 PM

Maybe because those countries had this before.

by Anonymousreply 506March 29, 2020 10:46 PM

The EU acted like it was Italy's problem.

by Anonymousreply 507March 29, 2020 10:50 PM

😇[italic] " What would you give me for a basket full of face masks? "

by Anonymousreply 508March 29, 2020 10:51 PM

Rump isn’t being positive just to show he knows everything.

by Anonymousreply 509March 29, 2020 10:53 PM

I see we have some anti-EU people invading the thread.

Thr EU isn't comparable to the US. Trump - and the UK - have both botched the handling of this, big time.

by Anonymousreply 510March 29, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote]I see we have some anti-EU people invading the thread.

I see we have an idiot invading the thread.

The EU has shown no leadership.

by Anonymousreply 511March 29, 2020 10:57 PM

Speaking for myself I rather watch cnn. My cable doesn’t have Rachel’s channel.

by Anonymousreply 512March 29, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote]Thr EU isn't comparable to the US. Trump - and the UK - have both botched the handling of this, big time.

Tell us about Pedro Sánchez.

by Anonymousreply 513March 29, 2020 10:59 PM

Keith Boykin:

Last month Trump said the 15 cases of coronavirus would quickly drop down to zero.

Today Trump says anything less than 2.2 million dead means he did a great job managing the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 514March 29, 2020 11:01 PM

R511 you seem touchy.

The EU is made up of individual member countries. They don't agree with each other about what should be done, so they have each taken their own steps to manage it.

What's "idiotic" is to place the blame on an organization itself rather than the individual states who decided not to agree with the others and therefore kept anything from being done.

The EU works, but it works slowly, because the individual countries still have too much power.

by Anonymousreply 515March 29, 2020 11:03 PM

It hurts my brain listening to Trump. He is such an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 516March 29, 2020 11:04 PM

R513 I'm not following whatever right wing talking point you are trying to push.

by Anonymousreply 517March 29, 2020 11:05 PM

Where the spring breakers went after leaving Florida. From cellphone data.

These will be future hot spots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518March 29, 2020 11:07 PM

Trump is setting himself on fire on live television, and trolls are trying to talk about the EU . . .

by Anonymousreply 519March 29, 2020 11:08 PM

[bold] CAUTION:

BAD BEHAVIOR IS CUNTAGIOUS !

by Anonymousreply 520March 29, 2020 11:09 PM

OKC-based company wants to keep employees’ $1,200 stimulus payments

One of the few positive things about the Coronavirus pandemic is that it shows us just how greedy, heartless and merciless some corporations can truly be.

For example, we have learned via the Ogle Mole Network that ImageNet Consulting – an Oklahoma City-based “Information Technology Solutions” firm that sells high-dollar copiers, scanners, and IT services to companies all across the country – wanted their remaining employees to forfeit a portion of their April paycheck that is equal to the amount they will receive from their government-issued Coronavirus stimulus payment.

Basically, ImageNet Consulting came up with a plan to pocket their employees’ stimulus checks!

The move comes after the company has already conducted mass layoffs as a result of the pandemic, and was first kind of reported by KXAN out of Austin, which is home to an ImageNet Consulting branch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521March 29, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote]you seem touchy.

The one who seems touchy is you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522March 29, 2020 11:11 PM

The EU's problem is that they didn't all shut their borders immediately.

The US's problem is the individual states all doing whatever the fuck they want. This is the federal government's fault. This is Trump's fault. Some states will be okay. Others will not.

And, honestly, New York should have quarantined itself two weeks ago. I know everyone seems to be in love with Cuomo but he was taking this all way too lightly for way too long as well.

by Anonymousreply 523March 29, 2020 11:11 PM

Hey, don't look at me, I didn't vote for Lyin' 🤥 Trump.

by Anonymousreply 524March 29, 2020 11:14 PM

R522 you're using an article written by a person from the American neoconservative organization "American Enterprise Institute" to make your right wing point?

Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 525March 29, 2020 11:14 PM

Everyone really needs to stop watching these press conferences. You’re just giving him what he wants. Literally everything he says is a lie. They’re not informative. They’re his new rallies.

by Anonymousreply 526March 29, 2020 11:15 PM

😖 Y'all better stop fighting and use that pent up energy for creating a snappy new threat title.

by Anonymousreply 527March 29, 2020 11:19 PM

R525 = Christine Lagarde

by Anonymousreply 528March 29, 2020 11:19 PM

R528 = Nigel Farage

by Anonymousreply 529March 29, 2020 11:20 PM

"The Coronavirus Outbreak Is a Critical Test for the European Union. So Far, It's Failing"

Failing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

I'm assuming that everyone posting here knows what country Data Lounge originates from.

by Anonymousreply 531March 29, 2020 11:26 PM

R530 so your point is that the EU as a whole isn't doing well with the coronavirus?

No shit! The US isn't either. And neither is the UK, Mexico, Brazil, etc. etc.

And yet you keep trying to shift the conversation to the EU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532March 29, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]so your point is that the EU as a whole isn't doing well with the coronavirus? No shit! The US isn't either. And neither is the UK, Mexico, Brazil, etc. etc.

I completely agree with you.

The troll is the EU cheerleader at R515.

by Anonymousreply 533March 29, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote] She said Trump is "simply doing the best he can" with the situation.

Well, he is.

Unfortunately for the nation, indeed the world, his best is pure shit.

by Anonymousreply 534March 29, 2020 11:38 PM

Coronavirus map

Look at Germany, the same kind of infection rate as other EU countries but a much lower death rate. We need to find out what the Germans are doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

R504 Are you seriously putting China in there with Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea? China's wet markets where they sell freshly slaughtered meats from dogs, cats, bats, and other animals you shouldn't eat, are back in operation even in Wuhan. China where the leadership lied and obfuscated to the rest of the world saying it wasn't possible for person-person transmission as late as mid-January. China which has blocked Taiwan from joining the WHO as a member because it mistakenly claims Taiwan as its province even though Taiwan has never been a part of communist China. China which has bribed WHO leadership to be just as corrupt because Taiwan warned The WHO back in early December about an emerging infectious disease in Wuhan, but that WHO had ignored due to it being in China's pocket. So please refrain from praising China in any capacity or level because it is due to China's fucking deliberate disregard for sanitation and for transparency that we're in the situation that we're in right now. China deserves to be punished as a pariah state after this is over, they should compensate other nations for the shitshow that they've unleashed.

by Anonymousreply 536March 29, 2020 11:54 PM

AM New York gave the latest corona breakdown in NYC by borough Queens has 10,000 cases while Manhattan has around 5500. In terms of deaths, 219 have died in Queens and 94 have died in Manhattan. When you combine Queens and Brooklyn numbers, you see where most of the problems are in NYC.

I live in Manhattan and rarely hear sirens but supposedly it's 24/7 in the other boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 537March 29, 2020 11:57 PM

Stay away from religious people if you can. They are all ignoring the guidelines and are still packing in churches. The Jews in Brooklyn are going about life as if nothing is going on. If they want to die, let them. Just stay away from them.

by Anonymousreply 538March 29, 2020 11:59 PM

The way it was explained to me yes Chinese eat strange to us meat like bats but cook it in a way it isn’t a hazard.

by Anonymousreply 539March 30, 2020 12:01 AM

DeBlassio should have Orthodox Jewish leaders address the followers to observe social distancing. I think Orthodox communities are contributing to the spread of corona in Brooklyn. Not sure about Queens.

by Anonymousreply 540March 30, 2020 12:02 AM

Aren't they about to get hit with fines?

by Anonymousreply 541March 30, 2020 12:02 AM

Yes I believe Christians are unafraid to die because they think they will go to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 542March 30, 2020 12:05 AM

Fines is a good start. The police must know what communities aren't observing social distancing guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 543March 30, 2020 12:06 AM

R535 Look at Germany's death rate in relation to their population.

by Anonymousreply 544March 30, 2020 12:07 AM

One of the reasons Germany is doing well compared to other European nations is it has a lot of ICU beds per capita... more than double Italy, per below. Interestingly, and confusingly, the US has even more. The chart in the article makes me sad for many of those countries.

According to a paper published in the Intensive Care Medicine journal utilizing 2012 data, Italy had 12.5 ICU beds per 100,000 of its population that year while Germany had 29.2 ICU beds per 100,000 inhabitants. A different paper published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information in 2015 states that capacity in the United States is even higher at 34.2 ICU beds per 100,000 people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545March 30, 2020 12:09 AM

whats Up with Switzerland? It is the worst in terms of deaths per million people.

by Anonymousreply 546March 30, 2020 12:13 AM

Germany has a lower death rate because of broad-based testing meaning they test people who have mild symptoms and those who are younger. It's also too early to draw conclusions based upon strict numbers without considering other factors that influence infection rates, hospitalization rates, and case fatality rates. We have some ideas as to the causes but they're not factual conclusions yet.

by Anonymousreply 547March 30, 2020 12:14 AM

[quote]Germany has a lower death rate

Germany has 541 reported deaths at the moment.

For it's population that's on par with the US.

by Anonymousreply 548March 30, 2020 12:18 AM

r540 Sorry, I'm too busy telling my renters they better pay me ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 549March 30, 2020 12:22 AM

R537, I don’t know where you live in Manhattan but I live on W 97th on the Upper West Side and now constantly hear sirens day and night. I’m guessing this thing is beating the crap out of elderly people living in the projects further north on Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 550March 30, 2020 12:23 AM

I didn't want to start a separate thread to ask this question, but has anyone on DL reported to having Covid 19?

by Anonymousreply 551March 30, 2020 12:24 AM

I think it is a good idea. I started one for people who think they might have it but was ignored. I think Muriel does some kind of trickery with the threads.

by Anonymousreply 552March 30, 2020 12:27 AM

R548 Lower death rate than outlier Italy, but still in keeping with the projected case fatality rate of between 0.5-1%, which is also where the U.S. stands as of now.

by Anonymousreply 553March 30, 2020 12:36 AM

I'm curious what percentage of "recovered" end up with permanent lung damage or other complications.

by Anonymousreply 554March 30, 2020 12:40 AM

New thread yet?

by Anonymousreply 555March 30, 2020 12:43 AM

New thread suggestion: Love in the Time of Corona. Poll on favorite sexual position while quarantined forever with your partner.

by Anonymousreply 556March 30, 2020 12:54 AM

New thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557March 30, 2020 12:54 AM

R554 Having residuals of lung damage isn't just limited to COVID-19 per se. Rather it applies, albeit infrequently, to those who have recovered from severe pneumonia. It mostly involves scarring of the lung tissues. Since this is still an evolving situation there isn't that many studies that investigate possible, permanent lung complications specific to COVID-19. But there are tons of studies out there on post-pneumonia complications.

by Anonymousreply 558March 30, 2020 12:55 AM

AP:

New York passes grim milestone: Over 1,000 killed by virus, more than two-thirds of the deaths in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559March 30, 2020 12:56 AM

My parents' primary physician is in critical condition with the coronavirus. I don't see him anymore and thankfully my parents have not seen him in the last few months. My parents have been able to avoid multiple brushes with the virus so far. They are extremely lucky, but I wonder how much longer that'll remain the case, especially being in the epicenter of the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560March 30, 2020 12:58 AM

Here's his son on CNN pleading for access to experimental drugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561March 30, 2020 1:00 AM

UK Cases - 19,522

Deaths - 1,228

by Anonymousreply 562March 30, 2020 1:01 AM

Dead!

by Anonymousreply 563March 30, 2020 1:02 AM

Coronavirus Freakout 28: How Come the Tiger King didn’t have his husband’s Teeth Fixed?

by Anonymousreply 564March 30, 2020 1:02 AM

Six more months of lockdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565March 30, 2020 1:03 AM

Why is Germany's death rate so low?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566March 30, 2020 1:06 AM

The titles thread was the inspiration.

There’s a killer Easter title I wanted to use, but this one was perfect for the song, and the disease.

by Anonymousreply 567March 30, 2020 1:07 AM

R560, apparently he was in great shape, having run marathons, etc.

by Anonymousreply 568March 30, 2020 1:11 AM

Most EU countries have done poorly. They failed to prepare for what was coming in January/February, didn't stockpile enough tests, didn't do contact testing and tracing quickly enough, many have shut down too late, and now they are failing to show solidarity by sending enough help to the worst affected parts. Germany (which has also likely been a bit lucky) probably has most to be proud of, except (as usual) for the solidarity bit.

However all this is as nothing to the US, where there has been almost no co-ordination between the states, little understanding amongst officials or the public of what needs to be done, the federal government is actively making things worse, and the humanitarian catastrophe sadly is going to be orders of magnitude bigger than in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 569March 30, 2020 1:25 AM

I know Dr Fauci said 100,000 deaths in the US, but that seems very high considering only 255 deaths deaths today compared to over 500 yesterday. 10,000 seems more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 570March 30, 2020 1:31 AM

^264 deaths today

by Anonymousreply 571March 30, 2020 1:33 AM

Running everyday/marathons lowers certain immune cells. With exercise, moderation is really key when it comes to your immune system. I think David Lat and some guy in Chicago I read about with severe symptoms also ran marathons.

by Anonymousreply 572March 30, 2020 1:33 AM

Oh, I thought Fauci meant worldwide. Damn, 100-200k people in the states alone will be devastating.

by Anonymousreply 573March 30, 2020 1:34 AM

Wow, now we have two shitty Part 28 threads rom which to choose.

by Anonymousreply 574March 30, 2020 1:39 AM

What!? Now I feel silly for continuing to post here.

by Anonymousreply 575March 30, 2020 1:41 AM

'Running everyday/marathons lowers certain immune cells. With exercise, moderation is really key when it comes to your immune system. '

It also often causes exercise induced asthma. The lungs of frequent runners aren't necessarily in the best condition.

by Anonymousreply 576March 30, 2020 1:48 AM

Let's just abandon this slug and move on to 28

by Anonymousreply 577March 30, 2020 2:04 AM

Here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578March 30, 2020 2:16 AM

Or this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579March 30, 2020 2:17 AM

Here's the official thread 28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580March 30, 2020 2:27 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581March 30, 2020 2:35 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582March 30, 2020 2:35 AM

Closing

by Anonymousreply 583March 30, 2020 2:36 AM

R582 was created by an insane Madoona stan and has a poll which just asks you to identify Madonna eras

by Anonymousreply 584March 30, 2020 2:37 AM

This

by Anonymousreply 585March 30, 2020 2:37 AM

Official thread with poll and quotation. Ignore the madonna freak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586March 30, 2020 2:38 AM

Thread

by Anonymousreply 587March 30, 2020 2:38 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588March 30, 2020 2:39 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589March 30, 2020 2:39 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590March 30, 2020 2:40 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591March 30, 2020 2:40 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592March 30, 2020 2:41 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593March 30, 2020 2:41 AM

please

by Anonymousreply 594March 30, 2020 2:42 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595March 30, 2020 2:42 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596March 30, 2020 2:42 AM

I’m not dead yet!

by Anonymousreply 597March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

Here's the new thread with serious posts about the global situation. The other one was made by a crazed Madonna stan and just has people yelling at the OP. Choose this one for a poll from 1-10. The other has a poll from 1-4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

end.

by Anonymousreply 599March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

This ought to be closed by now.

by Anonymousreply 600March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

I feel much better!

by Anonymousreply 601March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

R598 is the new thread with serious posts about the global situation. The other one was made by a crazed Madonna stan and just has people yelling at the OP. Choose this one for a poll from 1-10. The other has a poll from 1-4

by Anonymousreply 602March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604March 30, 2020 2:44 AM

Question: Does community testing matter anymore? By now, it's probably best to just assume that everyone has it. Keep testing all the first responders and health care workers and the hospitalized but the time for community testing was a month ago. What are they going to do, tell people to say home if they test positive but aren't deathly ill? That's what we're already doing.

by Anonymousreply 605March 30, 2020 3:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!