Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The saddest songs from musicals

I was listening to the version of "You'll Never Walk Alone," sung by Claramae Turner and Shirley Jones, from the movie of "Carousel" and it had me in tears.

What are the other saddest songs you can think of from musicals? The ones that just break your heart.

I'll post mine inside.

by Anonymousreply 193March 31, 2020 9:48 PM

"September Song" -- Knickerbocker Holiday

"The Party's Over" -- Bells Are Ringing

"Mira" -- Carnival

"The Feeling We Once Had" -- The Wiz

"Could We Start Again Please?" -- Jesus Christ Superstar

"Another Suitcase in Another Hall" -- Evita

"No One is Alone" -- Into the Woods

"Finale" -- The Secret Garden

"The 'I Love You' Song" -- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2020 4:57 AM

Empty Chairs..............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2020 5:06 AM

"What Would You Do?" from "Cabaret"

"My Husband Makes Movies" from "Nine"

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2020 6:24 AM

I always find Maria Reynolds's part at the beginning of "Say No to This" in "Hamilton" ("I know you are a man of honor...") incredibly sad. The whole song makes me sad, even though it's all about having guilty sex. It's my favorite song in the score.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2020 6:28 AM

Les Miserables owns this thread!

On My Own

Dreamed a Dream

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2020 6:35 AM

Esmeralda lies dead and Quasimodo grieves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2020 7:13 AM

The Party's Over is a great selection @ R1

Somewhere/West Side Story

Something Good/The Sound of Music (movie)

Frank Mills/Hair

Send in the Clowns/A Little Night Music

Feed the Birds/Mary Poppins

My Time of Day/Guys and Dolls

Sunrise, Sunset/Fiddler on the Roof

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2020 7:33 AM

"It's Quiet Uptown" from Hamilton.

I've seen the show twice, listened to the soundtrack a ridiculous number of times, and that song still tears my heart out of my chest. Every. Damn. Time.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2020 8:41 AM

"Who Can I Turn To?" from "The Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2020 9:03 AM

Don't forget "Bring Him Home" also from Les Miserables.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2020 3:18 PM

I Still See Eliza from Paint Your Wagon

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2020 3:25 PM

Interesting choice for JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, R1. It got me thinking, and I see where you’re coming from.

However I must say I’m more moved by the numbers ‘Poor Jerusalem’, ‘Peter’s Denial’ & ‘Judas’ Death’; the latter song in the 2000 film is difficult to watch if you aren’t already feeling down. The shocked desperate hopeless “you have murdered me!” line never fails to upset me (I know, Mary!), but maybe it’s because a gay man played Judas in that production? Many dislike the the 1992 Australian cast recording, but it’s hard to deny the raw power in ‘Poor Jerusalem’ that makes it sound like the world is ending and all that’s left to do is wail and cry.

I think it’s one of those musicals that if done right and well can’t fail to bring tears, and that’s high praise coming from someone who isn’t a Christian and doesn’t care for them either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2020 4:09 PM

"Where Am I Going?" - Sweet Charity; "Rose's Turn" - Gypsy; "All Of My Life" - Do Re Mi; "Some Other Time" - On The Town; "Dear Friend" - She Loves Me; "What Kind Of Fool Am I?" - Stop The World I Want To Get Off

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2020 5:14 PM

This one reduces me to a blubbering mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2020 5:16 PM

Time Heals Everything - Mack & Mabel The Day After That - Kiss of the Spider Woman No More - Into the Woods Children & Art - SITPWG Sunday - SITPWG

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2020 5:34 PM

"Will You? "and "Another Winter in a Summer Town" - both from Grey Gardens

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2020 5:36 PM

[Quote] "Where Am I Going?" - Sweet Charity

My favorite version is Dionne Warwick's. It damn near brings tears to my eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2020 6:05 PM

Knowing its context, no song makes me tear up more than "For Forever" from "Dear Evan Hansen". My favorite song from a musical period.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2020 6:17 PM

For me it’s Telephone Wire from Fun Home. In the flashback adult Alison slips in and replaces adolescent Alison for the last car ride with her father before he commits suicide. The song grows more and more desperate as Alison admonishes herself to connect with her father this one last time and change what has happened. I break into a million pieces at these lines:

This is where it has to happen!

There must be some other chances.

There’s a moment I’m forgetting.

Where you tell me you see me.

I included a clip of it from a regional production as there isn’t one from the Broadway production. Staging is a part of the intensity as they are seated driving staring straight ahead. On Broadway it was in the round and they actually rotated during the song in the production sitting on the piano bench.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2020 6:18 PM

"Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" still gets to me all these years later, since Les Miserables run was concurrent with AIDS/HIV worst years... Saw the song in the movie and turned into a blubbering mess thinking of my lost friends.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2020 6:25 PM

And from and earlier age:

I'll See You Again from Noel Coward's Bitter Sweet. Also If Love Were All from the same show.

And those classic Gershwin torch songs:

The Girl I Love, deleted from three shows before finally making a name as The Man I Love as an independent hit and later used in An American in Paris.

Someone to Watch Over Me from Oh, Kay!

But Not for Me from Girl Crazy.

Didn't someone mention My Man's Gone Now from Porgy and Bess?

Hello, Young Lovers from The King and I.

This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific.

Finally for now, a minor song but personal favorite Noel Coward wrote for his soulmate Gertrude Lawrence to sing in their classic comedy Private Lives, Someday I'll Find You. It's a poignant song and always followed by a poignant pause. Then her ex-husband pops in with "Strange how poignant cheap music is."

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 10:05 PM

"As Long as He Needs Me" -- Oliver

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 10:09 PM

[quote] My Time of Day/Guys and Dolls

Is that really one of the saddest songs? It strikes me as more sweetly melancholic. Sky is sharing a quiet side of himself with Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2020 10:11 PM

The Man that Got Away from A Star Is Born.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2020 10:12 PM

Never Will I Marry from Loesser's Greenwillow. Or it more a song of defiance? Cuts a wonderfully fine line.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2020 10:21 PM

[Quote]Didn't someone mention My Man's Gone Now from Porgy and Bess?

I don't think so, r22, but that song definitely deserves to be mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2020 10:22 PM

"Till We Reach That Day" (the first act closer) from "Ragtime."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2020 10:25 PM

"My Ship" -- Lady in the Dark

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2020 10:37 PM

No More from Into the Woods reduces me to tears with the first few notes. I've never had another experience like it.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2020 10:49 PM

I haven't even seen this show, but my friend sung this at a concert and I fell in love with it. It tells a whole story - a woman desperate to try and stay positive, knowing that her husband might just die. It's from a fairly new show, too. Who knew they still wrote lovely songs like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2020 10:50 PM

Am I the only one who's never been moved by a version of "Rose's Turn?" It's a great song and, if performed by a real dynamite power belter, it can be extraordinary, but I've never felt much from anyone's performance of it. Is there a certain version that brings people "the feels" as the kids would say?

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2020 10:52 PM

I know it's sappy and a little victim-y, but this performance is so extraordinary. I've heard a lot of people cover this song, but no one's even been better than Dorothy. She makes me cry. It also has the first verse which I think is so important for establishing this woman's life and where she's coming from. Most people omit it and I think that's a huge mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2020 10:54 PM

So Big/So Small

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2020 10:58 PM

"Lily's Eyes" from The Secret Garden.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2020 11:06 PM

R32, here's the song sung by a man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2020 11:14 PM

Oh yes, r28. Can you believe producer Buddy DeSylva of the Ginger Rogers' film version actually filmed it but then cut it before release because he hated Weill's music? Why was he producing the damn film then? The film doesn't make much sense when Ginger at the end finally says "Oh, yes, I remember all the words now!" and instead of singing it, after trying the whole film to remember it, omits the song and the film quickly cuts to the final scene and final credits? Many things I love in that film though, including Mitchell Leisen's wonderful direction and Raoul Pene Du Bois' fine set decoration and costume design. Edith Head's typical attempts to steal design credit for the Mink Dress were just that -- typical for her. (The design was all Leisen. Head's attempt to build it failed completely and he had to bring in Barbara Karinska from New York to execute the design.)

R26, thanks so much for posting that wonderful clip from Trevor Nunn's Porgy and Bess. That version isn't perfect but it's absolutely wonderful. I hadn't seen it in nearly 20 years.

And r22, for me Ragtime was the last great musical of the 20th century. Again, thanks so much for posting that.

I apologize for posting so much off topic. Still getting used to being quarantined in Chelsea. Especially since I started developing symptoms yesterday and any hospital in Manhattan is currently the last place on earth I want to be. Time for less bourbon and more dinner. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2020 11:38 PM

I always find certain versions of Maybe This Time from Cabaret heartbreaking. You know Sally and Cliff's relationship is doomed. He's a gay man and she can't stand still for more than two minutes and would make a horrible wife. Her optimism at that moment breaks my heart.

A good Sally will make you feel something during the title number where she finally surrenders to hedonism like her dead friend, Elsie, and decides to go through with the abortion and continue on her self-destructive streak.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2020 11:40 PM

Mama Look Sharp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2020 11:44 PM

A great deal of Marc Blitzstein's score for the Broadway musical "Juno," especially "For Love," "One Kind Word," "I Wish It So," "My True Heart," and "Where?"

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2020 11:58 PM

"Losing My Mind" from Follies.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2020 12:03 AM

"When I Look At You" from The Scarlet Pimpernel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2020 12:07 AM

R37, did you know that Maybe This Time wasn't originally written for Cabaret? Kander and Ebb wrote it originally for Kay Ballard in the early 1960s and then it became a popular cabaret standard in New York. Liza recorded it either once or twice, I can't remember, and that's how it got included in the film version of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2020 12:10 AM

New World - Dancer in the Dark

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2020 12:17 AM

“When Your Feet Don’t Touch the Ground” from Finding Neverland.

It had a reprise for the finale, but when the show went on tour, they decided to end on the upbeat “Believe.” I was disappointed with this choice.

The staging of Sylvia’s death was one of the most chilling things I saw stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2020 12:19 AM

Blood Brothers - Tell Me It's Not True

A mother singing over the dead bodies of her two sons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2020 12:21 AM

I listened to this over and over again when the new roommate I was infatuated with abruptly moved out and didn’t want to see me again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2020 12:22 AM

Petula Clark version of "Tell Me It's Not True" in "Blood Brothers" with David and Shaun Cassidy playing her sons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2020 12:24 AM

R45, don’t forget “Easy Terms!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2020 12:38 AM

Not While I’m Around from Sweeney Todd is always heartbreaking because you know he’s all but dead at that point.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2020 12:49 AM

Depends on who sings them.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2020 12:58 AM

This song from Maltby & Shire's Off Broadway review, Closer Than Ever. The more famous song from the show was Father of Fathers but this is the one that always brings tears to my eyes, for personal reasons. I'm not sure whether this performance by Richard Muenz from the original cast is the best because there's also a truly wonderful one from an artist named William Lucas on youtube. But it's a guy singing about his love for his father.

But if I sing you are the music....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2020 1:05 AM

‘Die Schatten werden länger’ (‘The Shadow Grows Longer’), from Kunze’s ELISABETH.

Suicidally-depressed drunken syphilitic inept young Prince with abandonment issues falls in unrequited love with the literal personification of Death just the same as his mother did, then goes on to accidentally assist with the rise of the Nazis in Europe and the consequent downfall of his own family’s Empire through blind desperate unconvicted idealism and a death-wish, then kills his lover and himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2020 1:05 AM

"As Long As You're Mine" from "Wicked"- Longing for that one special someone, getting to be with him but knowing it's only for a short time, possibly only one night. Your heart soaring and breaking simultaneously. I know- MARY!

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2020 1:06 AM

Every time I hear "You'll Never Walk Alone," I think of Jerry Lewis singing to crippled children on crutches and in wheelchairs on his MDA telethons. It ruined the song for me.

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2020 1:10 AM

Chava from Fiddler on the Roof

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2020 1:13 AM

I'm always saddened by the underlying message of Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

It seems to be about hope and imagination but what is really saying is that good times will only be in your head and not in the real world.

There is no life I know

To compare with pure imagination

Living there you'll be free

If you truly wish to be.

If you want to view paradise

Simply look around and view it

Anything you want to do it

Wanna change the world

There's nothing to it...

Of course, you can't change the world so easily, if at all, and therein lies the bittersweet rub.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2020 1:16 AM

[quote]Every time I hear "You'll Never Walk Alone," I think of Jerry Lewis singing to crippled children on crutches and in wheelchairs on his MDA telethons. It ruined the song for me.

Well, I can certainly see how that would, r54. But may I suggest you try going back to Claramae Turner on the soundtrack or Christine Johnson on the OBCR or just about any artist on any on the numerous highly professional recordings of Carousel and try to forget thinking about The Day the Clown Cried?

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2020 1:25 AM

56 replies and no submissions from Lucy’s Mame?

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote]Suicidally-depressed drunken syphilitic inept young Prince with abandonment issues falls in unrequited love with the literal personification of Death

So we're back to to Harry and Meghan?

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Ol’ Man River—Show Boat

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2020 1:49 AM

The Letter, from Billy Elliot The Musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2020 2:14 AM

Mis'ry's Comin' Aroun and Bill from Show Boat.. A show so far ahead of it's time.

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2020 2:21 AM

I doubt anyone here will know this one: Spend Spend Spend -A true story about a woman who won -and lost a fortune. This song, "Who's Gonna Love Me Now?" has the present-day character and her younger self recalling losing her husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2020 2:21 AM

Another brilliant song from Spend Spend Spend: "The Scars of Love"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2020 2:26 AM

This one gets me every time. The reprise of "If I Loved You" in "Carousel," when Billy Bigelow is allowed to return to Earth for one day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2020 2:32 AM

Here is the recording session of " When Your Feet Don;t Touch the Ground."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2020 2:42 AM

Carousel Finale from Lincoln Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2020 2:45 AM

Yes, it's a cartoon, but it's still a musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2020 2:49 AM

"What Would I Do?" from Falsettos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2020 3:02 AM

People Like Us from The Wild Party - Queenie and Black let down their jaded guard and recognize the desperation in their shallow, good-time lives, finding a fleeting moment of truth in each other. They're doomed and they know it; they just don't know quite where their end point is or how close it's coming.

Toni Colle.tte should be a bigger star.

People like us. We take lovers like pills.

Just hoping to cure what we know we can’t fix.

And we’ll lay in their arms

And we’ll say pretty things:

But we’ll still get our kicks:

And we heal awful fast and we don’t even scar:

We are here but not here

In a roomful of friends

We could join the fray

Or stay here where we are --

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2020 3:09 AM

“I Never Know When” - Goldilocks

“When There’s No One” - Carrie

“I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” - Promises Promises

“It Might as Well Be Spring” -State Fair

“Falling in Love with Love” - The Boys from Syracuse

“Macula Non Est in Te” - Cry for Us All

“What Do You Want of Me?” - Man of La Mancha

“Imagine That” - Sherry

“I Can’t Find the Words” - Anne of Green Gables

“The Girls that Boys Dream About” - Robert and Elizabeth

“Something Wonderful” - The King and I

“Winter Was Warm” - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol

“Before I Gaze at You Again”- Camelot

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2020 3:10 AM

Not sure if it counts as "Broadway" but "Wicked Little Town" from "Hegwig..." always gets me, especially Tommy's later rendering of it in the film. I had a Tommy Gnosis of my own at the time so guess that helped.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2020 3:24 AM

If Ever I Could Leave You- Camelot

Younger Than Springtime- South Pacific

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2020 3:25 AM

This one makes me tearful to listen to:

Any Dream Will Do - Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2020 3:26 AM

Dancing in the Dark - Dietz and Schwartz, The Band Wagon, 1931

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2020 5:10 AM

Goodbye Love from Rent

by Anonymousreply 76March 28, 2020 5:17 AM

"Some Other Time" -- On the Town

"Love, Look Away" -- Flower Drum Song

"Here I Am" -- Henry, Sweet Henry

"What I Did for Love" -- A Chorus Line

by Anonymousreply 77March 28, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote] 56 replies and no submissions from Lucy’s Mame?

The entire thing was just SAD.

by Anonymousreply 78March 28, 2020 6:05 AM

R13, Nathan’s right. Rose’s Turn is the expression of a lifetime of resentment and regret. Missed opportunities and grievance. Merman does a great job of making a truly obnoxious person seem pitiful and even sympathetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 28, 2020 6:20 AM

She Used To Be Mine - Jessie Mueller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2020 6:24 AM

If I Can't Love Her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2020 6:44 AM

From ANNIE - Maybe, and Something Was Missing. Reid Shelton was a powerful amazing baritone Warbucks

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2020 6:47 AM

The musical nor the song are not popular, but I always thought My True Love from the Yeston's Phantom (not Webber's POTO) was always so sad and beautiful. I've always thought the Leroux story was so sad and this song I think really showcases well the themes of long-term desire ultimately leading to unrequited love with the slow chordal progression and the swelling and crescendos (which culminates in Christine running off after seeing his unmasked face). Also I love the singer's voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2020 8:42 AM

R83 it’s wonderful to hear someone else extolling the Kopit/Yeston PHANTOM. It really is the superior adaptation but it’s relatively unknown and overlooked.

For some mysterious reason though, in Asia it is more popular than ALW’s version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2020 10:55 AM

What about "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" from Rent?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2020 12:18 PM

You younger queens really have shit taste in show music!

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2020 8:43 PM

Are there no songs from Dear Evan Hansen to weep over?

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2020 8:51 PM

I wept over that whole, sorry show. :(

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2020 8:58 PM

TOTALLY this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2020 9:02 PM

R19, I like the broadway cast version better. Unfortunately, it's just the song without actual video of the performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2020 9:19 PM

Days and Days from Fun Home is devastatingly sad as well. This is from the off-Broadway production. Judy Kuhn portrays Helen Bechdel, Alison's mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2020 9:23 PM

Anything For Him. A song about a straight man playing a gay man's love and using it against him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2020 10:41 PM

R87 Words Fail

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2020 10:43 PM

R87, I liked “You Will Be Found.”

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2020 11:38 PM

How come no one has mentioned Miss Saigon yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2020 11:41 PM

And the song “Please” from Miss Saigon is ominously sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2020 11:43 PM

And of course, “I Still Believe.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2020 11:44 PM

So many good songs in this thread.

I dunno why, but I’ve never been moved one tiny bit by either Les Miz or Miss Saigon. I think it’s because they both try so hard to make you cry. I instinctively resist.

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote]Anything For Him. A song about a straight man playing a gay man's love and using it against him.

Or a gay man trying to get his sexual needs fulfilled by a straight man in prison.

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2020 1:05 AM

No, what makes the song sad is that the gay character is genuinely in love with his straight cellmate. It's not just lust or infatuation. It's love, and it it cannot be returned. Tragic.

by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2020 1:10 AM

Hey Guys, Usually I'm not a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but he's been posting stuff to help us get through Corona virus. Here's "All I Ask of You." For some reason, I'm really touched by this. He's posted other stuff as well on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 29, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote]No, what makes the song sad is that the gay character is genuinely in love with his straight cellmate. It's not just lust or infatuation. It's love, and it it cannot be returned. Tragic.

He's not in love. It is lust. There is nothing in the story that indicates love. He's a self-centered gay man who won't shut up about his movie infatuation with some screen actress named Aurora.

by Anonymousreply 102March 29, 2020 1:13 AM

Someone above mentioned Elaine Stritch singing I Never Know When from Goldilocks.

Stritch at her best singing a jewel from a nearly lost Broadway treasure:

The sound on the OBCR is better than this youtube reposting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 29, 2020 1:18 AM

"Holding to the Ground" - Falsettoland/Falsettos

by Anonymousreply 104March 29, 2020 1:24 AM

"Millwork" from Working

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 29, 2020 1:26 AM

"Here's That Rainy Day" from Carnival in Flanders

There was no OBC album, which Dolores Gray (who sang it on Broadway) hugely regretted, since the song afterwards became a standard; but she memorably sang it on TV in 1977.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2020 1:28 AM

This is a very little-known song from the beginning of "Coco," by Alan Jay Lerner and Andre Previn, but I've always found it so sad and beautiful, even though it is very short.

"But That's the Way You Are" sung by Jack Dabdoub

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 29, 2020 1:32 AM

"Supper Time" from the Revue As Thousands Cheer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2020 1:37 AM

Spring is Here

by Anonymousreply 109March 29, 2020 1:39 AM

"Mira" from Carnival, featuring at its end Anna Maria Alberghetti's famous pianissimo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2020 1:42 AM

Our Time from the last great musical of the 20th Century Merrily We Roll Along.

A song of enormous hope that comes at the end of an assembling of broken dreams. Simply the most heartbreaking moment I've ever experienced in a Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2020 1:43 AM

"Bui Doi" is the song from "Miss Saigon" that does me in. Granted, it's manipulative, but it works on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 29, 2020 1:44 AM

r112 again. Maybe it hits home to me because Vietnam was my generation. (I was in college from '70-'74 and avoided the draft, but plenty of my peers did not.)

by Anonymousreply 113March 29, 2020 1:45 AM

My Best Love, a song written for Keye Luke to sing in the original production of Flower Drum Song. He couldn't handle it, so it was re-assigned to Juanita Hall, but she couldn't sing it either, so it was cut.

Bruce Kimmel recorded it for one of his Lost on Broadway albums and I first encountered it when it was interpolated into a City Opera production of Cinderella in a different version from the last Broadway revival.

I searched for it on youtube but all I found were a couple of dreadful amateur versions and an even more dreadful version from that last Bway revival.

It's a more wistful than sad song but it's gorgeous. When I saw it at City Opera, it was redone as a duet between father and son and it was so wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 114March 29, 2020 2:27 AM

Once before I go always gets me

by Anonymousreply 115March 29, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote] How come no one has mentioned Miss Saigon yet?

Umm...no fats, no femmes, no asians ???

by Anonymousreply 116March 29, 2020 3:43 AM

Who was the best Spiderwoman? Chita Rivera or Vanessa Williams?

by Anonymousreply 117March 29, 2020 3:57 AM

Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most was used in the1959 show The Nervous Set. Jane Monheit hits the sad notes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 29, 2020 4:02 AM

I know it might not be a popular opinion here but “I Am the One (Reprise)” and “How Could I Ever Forget?” from Next To Normal

by Anonymousreply 119March 29, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote]Who was the best Spiderwoman? Chita Rivera or Vanessa Williams?

Chita.

The role is a showy dance role which Chita excels at. Plus Chita was already experienced in the Kander & Ebb "razzle dazzle" style of songs like "Where You Are." And I think that Chita's singing served the music better than Vanessa's voice. The K&E music never needed a refined singing voice and it fits Chita's voice very well.

by Anonymousreply 120March 29, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote]Who was the best Spiderwoman? Chita Rivera or Vanessa Williams?

Chita was the better Spiderwoman. You would have needed a third Spiderwoman to name one of them the best.

by Anonymousreply 121March 29, 2020 4:59 AM

[quote]You would have needed a third Spiderwoman to name one of them the best.

There were other Spiderwomen. Carol Lawrence filled in for Chita's vacations. And I'm just too lazy to remember the name of the actress who replaced when Vanessa left. Conchita Alonso something or other?

by Anonymousreply 122March 29, 2020 5:04 AM

What'll I Do? by Irving Berlin, introduced in the Music Box Review of 1923.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 29, 2020 5:23 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 29, 2020 5:29 AM

‘Best In The World’ - A Day in Hollywood, A Night in the Ukraine. Devastating.

by Anonymousreply 125March 29, 2020 5:59 AM

Love this thread! Keep 'em coming.

by Anonymousreply 126March 29, 2020 6:22 AM

And They’re Off, Sailing, and The Music Still Plays On from A New Brain.

by Anonymousreply 127March 29, 2020 6:43 AM

“My Brother Lived in San Francisco” from Elegies for Angels, Punks, and Raging Queens

by Anonymousreply 128March 29, 2020 6:45 AM

Do Hollywood Disney musicals count?

“Hushabye Mountain” from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” Is sad and creepy, as is “Feed the Birds” from Mary Poppins. Both tugged at the heartstrings.

by Anonymousreply 129March 29, 2020 6:56 AM

"Hey There" from THE PAJAMA GAME

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 29, 2020 7:03 AM

I never saw the musical (did anyone?) of Ghost on B'way. But I love "With You." Sad and beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2020 7:47 AM

R106, Dolores Gray looked pretty good with some meat on her bones

by Anonymousreply 132March 29, 2020 7:47 AM

R123, Irving Berlin was a master; the things he could do with a few notes and some plain-spoken lyrics continues to amaze me.

"What'll I do, with just a photograph, to tell my troubles to…"

by Anonymousreply 133March 29, 2020 7:51 AM

The play is mostly maudlin as fuck, but "She Used to Be Mine" from "Waitress" has an undercurrent of real bitterness, loss, regret, and, depending on who's performing it, a tinge of self-loathing. It's the only song in the whole play that got to me a little.

by Anonymousreply 134March 29, 2020 7:58 AM

R133 I actually wanted to list that song but didn't know what musical it came from or if it even was a part of a musical. One of my favorite performances of it is in that goofy George Lucas movie Radioland Murders. It's sung by Joey Lawrence of all people. The orchestral parts are particularly beautiful, and Joey does a good job as a early-1900s crooner.

Re: Les Miz and Miss Saigon, the music in both is generally beautiful and arguably poignant. But like someone mentioned above, they both really drill the misery into their work with the subtlety akin to that of a horny teenage boy trying to pick up a girl. Schönberg's composing is so schmaltzy and pop-sounding, with Boublil's lyrics being so clunky and unpoetic. "On my Own" may as well have been titled "I am Sad" in that it just beats the listener over the head with archetypal crestfallen phrases. Same with Miss Saigon. For sure, they're not bad songs, but a good sorrowful song has nuance and subtlety in both lyrics and music, neither of which Boublil or Schönberg do well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 29, 2020 8:36 AM

R102 I have the same impression as R100, and during the final interrogation, Molina can save his own life, if he betrays Valentin and gives up the name of the contact, but he refuses to. And the last thing he screams before he is shot is, "I LOVE YOU."

by Anonymousreply 136March 29, 2020 8:51 AM

"What'll I DO when YOU are far away?"

Joey Lawrence is awful.

by Anonymousreply 137March 29, 2020 10:37 AM

r129 "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is not from Disney.

by Anonymousreply 138March 29, 2020 11:38 AM

r135 Did Alan Boublil write the English lyrics? I thought Richard Maltby did.

by Anonymousreply 139March 29, 2020 11:40 AM

[quote] Did Alan Boublil write the English lyrics? I thought Richard Maltby did.

Not r135 here, but Boublil didn’t write the English language lyrics for Les Miz. That was Herbert Kretzmer (with a few random contributions from an earlier English language lyricist and also, I believe, Trevor Nunn). Some of the big song lyrics in that show are basically just translations of the original French text by Boublil, but other stuff diverges considerably from what Boublil wrote and of course, huge swaths of the show as we know it now didn’t exist at all in the original French versions.

The English lyrics for Miss Saigon were by Maltby and Boublil together.

by Anonymousreply 140March 29, 2020 2:20 PM

This is sad song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 29, 2020 2:45 PM

Guys and Dolls: More I Cannot With You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 29, 2020 3:05 PM

R87: Check out R33.

by Anonymousreply 143March 29, 2020 3:09 PM

Love Look Away from Flower Drum Song Another song of unrequited love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 29, 2020 4:41 PM

In Fiddler on the Roof, the song the second daughter sings to her father at the train station as she is leaving for Siberia.

by Anonymousreply 145March 29, 2020 5:00 PM

^Far From The Home I Love. Crushing song, especially if you know enough Russian history to know what's in store for her and Perchak.

by Anonymousreply 146March 29, 2020 5:06 PM

That would be "Far From the Home I Love" [R145]. Great choice. That song and "Chavela" tear me apart every time, even when I was doing the show nightly.

Yes, the sappiness of the lyrics in both Miss Saigon and Les Miz are not the fault of Boublil. Translation is an art, and translating lyrics is even more specialized. Some of the best are Lin Manuel Miranda's West Side Story translations for a recent Broadway revival, and the Russian translations of Jesus Christ Superstar and Beauty and the Beast.

I saw Chita, Vanessa, and Maria Conchita Alonso play Aurora (along with a couple of others in regional/local productions). All three were great -in different ways. I saw Chita in London previews and she blew me away with her energy. She came alive, and lit up the stage. Vanessa Williams sang the best, and really delivered the songs, making you appreciate the score. I saw MCA's very first performance. She was nervous as hell, and warmed into her performance. But she was clearly giving it everything she had -for her audience. People fell in love with her for that. I never saw her live again after that, but I've seen both Chita and Vanessa in several things since. If I have to pick one, it's Chita -She's a living legend. I'd buy a ticket to watch her read the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 147March 29, 2020 5:12 PM

Agree with r60. So many great ones here, but if I have to narrow it down- "Ol' Man River".

Hearing it never fails to move me.

No other song captures the relentlessness of time, our mortality, the longevity of natural matter (a river) and how our existence is dwarfed by them. That O'l River existed way before we were born and still will be here long after we die and what poignancy there is to that. How fleeting is our time...

And, of course, it's class, race and slave, er, pardon me, I mean labor, themes are so powerfully conveyed.

by Anonymousreply 148March 29, 2020 7:05 PM

r148 Preach, sister!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 29, 2020 7:18 PM

I had this version more in mind, r149

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 29, 2020 7:33 PM

No one can beat this:

Dorothy: “Well, I did once do a production of ‘Showboat’ in high school, and everyone said I was pretty good.” Sophia: “No one can sing ‘Old Man River’ like my Dorothy.” Frank: “Then you're saying you'll do it?” Dorothy: “Well, it is my production, and as they say, ‘The show must go on.’” Sophia: “Aw, Pussycat. It'll be like the old days. Come on, just one more time.” Dorothy: “Get a little drunk and you land in ja-aaaaaaaaail... I still got it!”

by Anonymousreply 151March 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Ok, Ok, that earned an lol, r151

by Anonymousreply 152March 29, 2020 8:25 PM

If Love Were All - Sir Coward

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 29, 2020 8:41 PM

One for My Baby (and One More for the Road) by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer from The Sky's the Limit.

It's been done a thousand times in a hundred ways from swaggering swing to quiet sorrow.

I like a lot of interpretations, but one of my favorites is Ella Fitzgerald's, the version where she's accompanied only by piano. It captures the feeling of being the last one in the saloon at a quarter to three.

She lives up to the "dreamy and sad" request made in the lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 29, 2020 8:44 PM

By Myself - Dietz and Schwartz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 29, 2020 8:51 PM

R140 and R147, thank you for correcting me. I didn't realize the lyrics weren't originally in English. That would aptly explain the clunkiness in them. I still stand by what I said about Schönberg musicals though.

R137 he's certainly not the best, but for some reason I enjoy his mellow, almost whispering take on the song. But more so, I just enjoy the big band, early-1900s sound in that recording. Brings me to an Art Deco dark bar in the city with the sounds of ice clinking in an empty glass, an untied tie dangling around my neck and my collar unbuttoned.

by Anonymousreply 156March 29, 2020 9:18 PM

Gorgeous little song to an ex from a little-known off-Bway show, BROWNSTONE.

(Bette Midler also covered it, but I thought it was better to let you hear an actual singer perform it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 29, 2020 9:30 PM

r129 just as I thought of those two songs I scrolled on to your post!

I'd say Hushabye Mountain is more uncertain and mysterious than "creepy", then sung by their father as a lullaby it becomes comforting as well. I haven't seen the film since I was a child but there is a sad, eerie, beauty to the song that always stuck in my head

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 29, 2020 11:18 PM

Maria Conchita Alonso seems to have have work done, or been stung by hundreds of bees. One or the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 29, 2020 11:27 PM

Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You from The Last Five Years, contrasting the feelings at the beginning/end of a relationship

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 29, 2020 11:31 PM

A few more:

-“Shall I Take My Heart and Go?” Goldilocks

- “What’s the Use of Wondrin’?” Carousel

- “This Nearly Was Mine” South Pacific

- “Only Love” Zorba

- “Love Finds the Lonely” Ambassador

- “Where or When” Babes in Arms

- “Baby Mine” Dumbo

- “God Bless the Outcasts” Hunchback of Notre Dame

- “For Good” Wicked

- “Pink” War Paint

- “If He Walked into my Life” Mame

- “I Never Knew” Far from Heaven

- “Losing My Mind” Follies

by Anonymousreply 161March 29, 2020 11:40 PM

Several songs from Kurt Weill's tragic Broadway opera "Street Scene," especially "Somehow I Never Could Believe," "A Boy Like You," "I Loved Her Too," "Lonely House."

by Anonymousreply 162March 30, 2020 12:05 AM

Far away,

Long ago,

Glowing dim as an ember,

Things my heart used to know,

Things it yearns to remember

And a song someone sings

Once upon a December

by Anonymousreply 163March 30, 2020 12:20 AM

"Johanna Quartet" from Sweeney Todd. The song is sung in various iterations but this time it sees Sweeney giving up on ever finding his daughter. Anthony swears that he'll steal her, Johanna herself is hopeful, and the Beggar Woman starts cluing in to what's going on. It's beautifully performed by Len Cariou and the others. But his resignation and descent into unfeeling murder while singing so achingly of his lost daughter is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 164March 30, 2020 12:24 AM

r158, I experienced a devastating loss and weeks afterward was listening to an old Tony Bennett record when Hushabye Mountain came on like an emotional ambush.

I experienced a catharsis through a flood of tears when I heard the lyrics for the first time as accepting death and setting someone free on the boat to Hushabye Mountain.

I know, MARY! but it was something so pure, like the simple sadness experienced by a child that I couldn't truly reach as an adult.

Until Tony Bennett told me it was okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 30, 2020 12:25 AM

"Once Upon a Time," from "All American," sung on the OBC album by Ray Bolger and EIleen "Myrtle Fargate" Herlie. Bolger mostly talks his way through it, but it's a lovely melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 30, 2020 12:32 AM

"Once Upon a Time" is an excellent choice.

by Anonymousreply 167March 30, 2020 12:35 AM

Best rendition of "Once Upon a Time" was Mandy Patinkin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 30, 2020 12:41 AM

"Good Thing Going" from Merrily We Roll Along

The ending reprise of "Camelot"... what a contrast to the upbeat, hopeful first version.

"If He Walked Into My Life" from Mame.

"Look Over There" from La Cage Aux Folles

by Anonymousreply 169March 30, 2020 1:01 AM

IF I SING is a godawful song. But so are most of the songs above. "Sad" doesn't mean maudlin or sentimental or weepy, but one that EARNS its emotion, like ONCE UPON A TIME or MAMA, A RAINBOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 30, 2020 1:06 AM

Thank you R146 and R147.

Here is another vote for Baby Mine and for My Man Is Gone Now.

by Anonymousreply 171March 30, 2020 1:58 AM

Wait a minute....Did no one mention "Memory" or "I AM WHAT I AM"!! My personal favorite( from a movie) AND SO IT GOES from Victor/Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 172March 30, 2020 4:01 AM

For Jason Robert Brown fans....

"All That Wasted Time" from PARADE. It's a shitty quality video from Rosie O's show, but the audio is much better.

PS: it makes it much sadder if you know that he's about to be lynched by an angry mob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 30, 2020 4:15 AM

Napoleon was one of the biggest flops in musical theater. This song "The Friend You Were to Me" is poignant however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 30, 2020 4:25 AM

A New Life from Jekyll and Hyde. Linda Eder sings this song of hope and imminent happiness. Not really a sad song in itself, except right after she throws it out there believing in a wonderful future, she gets her throat slit. Sort of like real life, actually. So, that makes the song so sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 30, 2020 4:31 AM

[quote]"If He Walked Into My Life" from Mame. "Look Over There" from La Cage Aux Folles.

Really, you think those two are among the saddest songs in musical theater???

by Anonymousreply 176March 30, 2020 4:54 AM

Dorothy Hammerstein, Oscar's wife, was once at a party and overheard someone say "Jerome Kern wrote Ol' Man River." She turned and said "No, Jerome Kern wrote dum, dum, dum-dum. My husband wrote Ol' Man River."

Meanwhile, I'll Be Seeing You wasn't written for a musical but it's been used in several that feature music of the WWII period. Here's Ann Hampton Callaway in the musical Swing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2020 6:48 AM

Dorothy Hammerstein, Oscar's wife, was once at a party and overheard someone say "Jerome Kern wrote Ol' Man River." She turned and said "No, Jerome Kern wrote dum, dum, dum-dum. My husband wrote Ol' Man River."

Meanwhile, I'll Be Seeing You wasn't written for a musical but it's been used in several that feature music of the WWII period. Here's Ann Hampton Callaway in the musical Swing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2020 6:48 AM

[quote] IF I SING is a godawful song. But so are most of the songs above.

Thanks for weighing in, Cunty.

by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2020 6:54 AM

One More Walk Around the Garden from the Burton Lane/Alan Jay Lerner musical Carmelina. I tried to find the original cast recording but had to settle for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2020 7:00 AM

Todd Duncan sings the title song from Kurt Weill's Lost in the Stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2020 7:07 AM

My pick was "Suppertime" from "As Thousands Cheer" but someone picked that. So I'll say "Will I?" from "RENT".

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2020 9:12 AM

"Lost in the Stars" is another beautiful choice.

by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote]My pick was "Suppertime" from "As Thousands Cheer"

Not to be confused with "Suppertime" from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown."

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2020 4:00 PM

‘Try to Remember’

‘If Ever I Would Leave You’

‘My Cup Runneth Over’

by Anonymousreply 185March 30, 2020 4:03 PM

"My Cup Runneth Over" and "If Ever I Would Leave You?" Really? Both of those are beautiful songs, but some of you people have a very strange idea of what the word "sad" means. I didn't think it was a difficult word to understand, but I guess it is....

by Anonymousreply 186March 30, 2020 4:13 PM

Not to be confused with Suppertime from Little Shop of Horrors.

by Anonymousreply 187March 30, 2020 6:13 PM

Not to be confused with Suppertime and the living is easy…

by Anonymousreply 188March 30, 2020 6:20 PM

SHUMMERTIIIIIIIIIME an' the livin' is easy

Fish are SHUMPIN'...

by Anonymousreply 189March 30, 2020 6:21 PM

Miss Madeline's Lost in the Stars....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 30, 2020 6:22 PM

Thanks for that "One More Walk Around the Garden" video. :) The story goes that after Alan Lerner's death his final (7th?) wife visited their English country home. She asked her friends to stay in the car while she toured the place one last time. They heard her singing this song while she literally took one last walk around the garden. Dunno if the story is true, but I hope it is.

by Anonymousreply 191March 30, 2020 8:10 PM

50 percent sung by Dorothy Loudon (YouTube it)

by Anonymousreply 192March 30, 2020 8:31 PM

R141 I completely forgot about that song until you mentioned it. I grew up on the Shirley Jones' film movie so, when I saw the live musical, I was intrigued by the song as I think it's a really excellent example of Rodger's prowess in composition and a nice departure from the flowery love songs and boisterous group numbers at which he excelled. I can see why they omitted it from the movie, but I think it's a beautifully crafted melody and accompaniment (Hamm's lyrics are a bit on-the-nose though). I posted the song above from Yeston's Phantom and I see a lot of similarity between the two. I guess I have a thing for slow, plodding ballads/arias expressing agony.

by Anonymousreply 193March 31, 2020 9:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!