Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's time for someone to remake 'The Exorcist'

It's time that a great director remake The Exorcist, don't you think? Here are my suggestions for cast and director.

Director: David Fincher or Alfonso Cuaron

Ellen Burstyn role: Emma Stone

Linda Blair role: Unknown actress

Jason Miller role: Adam Driver

Max von Sydow role: Daniel Day-Lewis

Kitty Winn role: Ariana Grande

Lee J. Cobb role: Robert De Niro

It would be amazing with this cast and director. Maybe even better than the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2020 2:43 AM

No. This film needs to be left alone. It's a classic. Don't fuck with it by trying to "reimagine" it.

Plus, Emma Stone's too young and too rough to play the Ellen Burstyn role.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2020 6:48 PM

Looking at that lackluster cast and director list explains why movies suck today. And those are our A-listers, sadly enough.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2020 6:48 PM

It's already had rereleases, sequels, prequels, a spoof films, television remake, countless ripoffs. I think the well has run dry.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2020 6:52 PM

Meant TV series, watched only a couple episodes and I already forgot it

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2020 6:53 PM

Exorcist: The Musical!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2020 6:53 PM

I can understand why POS lazy studios would want to do remakes. But why would you as a viewer want a remake? State your reasons OP.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2020 6:53 PM

Like all remakes of classic films, this is a bad idea. But if it has to happen...

Switch Regan's character into a gay boy. Actually, that was what the initial supposed story was based off of (minus the gay part) -- some boy in St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2020 6:55 PM

I saw the extended version from 2000 yesterday, a few tiny changes fucked up the whole tone of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2020 6:58 PM

Emma Stone in the Ellen Burstyn role?? WTF are you smoking?? Meghan Merkle can play Reagan though. And Harry can be Captain Howdy.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2020 6:59 PM

Let's do something else different--have Janet Jackson voice Pazuzu. She will whisper every one of her lines. And the audience will go "what did she say?".

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2020 7:09 PM

Macy Gray as the voice of Pazuzu

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2020 7:10 PM

I don't think there are enough Catholics around to protest it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2020 7:13 PM

“Why you leave me with this morning wood, Damy?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2020 7:15 PM

Change the ethnicity of Father Karras to not-Greek. Greeks are almost all not Catholic!

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2020 7:17 PM

R14, it looked like he was from the South Bronx in the movie, so make him Puerto Rican.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2020 7:18 PM

R15, that could work. I think Blatty modeled Karras after an Italian priest, but wanted to be different, so made him Greek instead.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2020 7:23 PM

Well OP, movies with exclusively Caucasian casts are not really a thing in Hollywood anymore, but nice try I guess? Plus Emma Stone's too young - Ellyn Burstyn was already in her late 30s when she made that movie -- and DDL is certainly not going to come out of retirement for some schlocky remake.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2020 7:24 PM

Ian McKellen would be a good sub for Max Von Sydow. And he won't need the makeup to look 30 years older!

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2020 7:27 PM

Iggy Azaelia as Blair. She's possessed by the spirit of a white woman!

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2020 7:28 PM

Everyone must be black!

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2020 7:29 PM

Jodie Foster as the mother.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2020 7:29 PM

What modern horror remake has been better than the original? The Omen? Rob Zombie's Halloween? That lame Rosemary's Baby series? Sorry, it's a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2020 7:30 PM

The Father Karras actor would need to be somebody very intense and brooding.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2020 7:43 PM

Hugh Grant could play the film director who gets out the window.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2020 7:45 PM

R21 Jodie Foster is 57, maybe she could be the Grandmother not the Mother of a young child.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2020 7:47 PM

Kellyanne Conway as possessed Reagan. They'll save a fortune on makeup and special effects.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2020 7:49 PM

An aged, maternal Thora Birch could probably pull of the role of Chris MacNeil.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2020 7:51 PM

Actually R26, she should play Fr. Merrin. One look at her and Satan would leave the little girl's body in one second.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2020 8:20 PM

Zendaya as the possessed (now teen)

Lupita as the mother

Make the priests Episcopalians:

J Lo as the Father Karras character

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2020 8:21 PM

If done right, it could be great—but it most likely wouldn't be handled appropriately. Studios and producers are always in it for cheap thrills when it comes to horror remakes, and the vast majority of them aren't even remotely as good as the originals. William Peter Blatty's book is also great for those who haven't read it—it's a very scary read. Scarier than the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote]Make the priests Episcopalians:

Episcopalians would never. Even Karras didn’t really believe until Merrin came on board.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2020 8:40 PM

I think the main arc of the story must remain Catholic. From what I gather, I don't know if anybody else other than Catholics or lapsed Catholics find this movie particularly scary.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2020 8:41 PM

"Your mother sucks clocks in Hell. 3-2-1 Edit!"

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote] Ellen Burstyn role: Emma Stone

If that happens, can we have Lindsey Lohan in the Louise Fletcher role for the remake of Exorcist 2?

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2020 9:02 PM

LOL @R34

Emma Stone reads far too young still. Someone like Amy Adams might be more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2020 9:18 PM

No it's not.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2020 9:20 PM

R15 - Fr Karras's mom lives in Manhattan - the apartment visit was shot in Hells Kitchen on W 48th between 9th & 10th. The subway platform where he sees "the old alter boy" is the northern end of the 42nd street / 8th ave ACE station. There is absolutely no need for a remake, The Exorcist is pretty damn perfect.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2020 9:38 PM

And nobody protests Ariana Grande??!!

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2020 9:46 PM

R37 R15 I went to grad school at Fordham at the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx, and remember someone telling me they shot a scene from The Exorcist in the basement of Keating Hall--not sure which one. One of the Jesuit professors at the university also had a small role in the movie as one of the other priests.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2020 9:46 PM

I never thought the original was anything close to a classic. The book was much more effective. Friedkin is a cold, clinical director who displayed zero feeling for either Chris or Regan. Just cared about shock value.

The material doesn't really scream for a remake though. Fincher would not be a good choice as he tends to make films where every scene is pitched at the same energy level. He is good at creating a sense of dread, but so are others.

Cuaron would be interesting, but I would opt for Del Toro.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2020 10:45 PM

It is NEVER the time to remake a classic - whether you personally find it to be one or not. It is considered one.

I mean while we're at it, how about Casablanca starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2020 10:52 PM

I can just imagine modern CGI effects giving this the allure of a cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2020 10:56 PM

There's only one e person in the world who can play Linda Blair's role: Greta Thunberg.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2020 11:07 PM

Brilliant, r43.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2020 11:12 PM

Reset in Mar-a-Lago

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2020 11:20 PM

I remember one evening sitting in a classroom building across the street from the Exorcist house watching them film the Fr. Karras coming out of the window. In the photo in OP's post, the lit-up part of the house was actually a fake extension to the house. That extension, however, didn't extend far enough towards the top of the stairs to make the whole flying out the window rolling down the stairs things plausible, so, for this one shot, they built an additional wall between the left side of the extension and the stairs.

The set-up for the shot took an awful long time. I was joined by plenty of other students and we were all gabbing when, all of a sudden,, across the street, a priest came out a window. It was surprising. They'd had the lights on for a while, so there wasn't any indication shooting had begun. The "priest" got sort of stuck in the window and had to claw his way through it. Luckily, they had plenty of replacement windows.

I stuck around for the second attempt, which took place about half-an-hour later. This time, the "priest" came out sideways and did sort of a cartwheel out the window.

Don't know how many takes they did. When the movie came out, most of the Karras goes out the window stuff occurs inside, and, as I recall, the outdoor shot was showed him going over the camera, and could just as well have been shot in. studio.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2020 11:56 PM

I think the casting for the remake is brilliant, except I would change Emma Stone to Reese Witherspoon. But Adam Driver and DDL would be brilliant casting. David Fincher would be an excellent choice for director.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2020 12:47 AM

The film worked well in the early 70's. People are too cynical now and it just wouldn't have the same impact. It's a different world.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2020 12:53 AM

Look OP, I love you (if you're cute), but NO.......It's NOT time for a remake of The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2020 2:14 AM

Miss Julia Roberts IS Chris MacNeil

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2020 2:18 AM

Glenn Close can play the Lee Cobb character.

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2020 2:42 AM

It might be interesting if Glenn played ALL the characters; except Fr Merrin. M plays Merrin.

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2020 2:44 AM

[quote]People are too cynical now and it just wouldn't have the same impact. It's a different world.

Actually, I think there are more people who believe in possession today than there were in 1972.

Is Sandra Bullock too old to play Chris MacNeil?

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2020 3:46 AM

R53 yes very. And too butch and dykey.

by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2020 3:50 AM

I would not be able to take either Julia or Sandra seriously in these roles. Interestingly however, I did find that Geena Davis did a good job as an adult Regan in that TV reboot or whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2020 6:58 PM

Ariana Grande would be perfect as Reagan. When she's possessed, she breaks out into song and the audience will want her dead each and every time.

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2020 7:08 PM

It's a pity that Laura Linney is too old for Chris, as she would be perfect for the role otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2020 7:11 PM

Frankie Grande as Regan would be better.

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2020 7:12 PM

^He already has all of the emotions and characteristics of a hysterical 12 y/o girl. He would be a pro in the role.

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2020 7:14 PM

No no, Frankie and Janet can duke it out for Pazuzu. Think of how confused and terrified the audience will be.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2020 7:15 PM

I can't quite remember her name, but I know of someone whose face is just MADE for heaving up chunky pea soup. It's unlikely makeup would be needed.

And I've heard stories that her lady parts are similarly perfect targets for forceful crucifix jabs.

It the cross is big enough.

by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2020 7:19 PM

OP, please die of covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2020 7:21 PM

Madonna as the face of death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2020 7:22 PM

R63, wrong movie. She is clearly a shoe-in for the old woman in the bathtub in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2020 7:41 PM

It is kind of remarkable that no one has remade The Exorcist yet. They've remade every other big horror movie, but not this one. I would like to see a really great director and cast tackle it.

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2020 8:08 PM

It was really obviously not autumn when they shot the kids trick or treating. It would’ve been so much more atmospheric if it really had been autumn.

Halloween is the symbolic holiday of the world being stuck in between life & death. As winter approaches, everything starts to die. Leaves change color, then go brown, dry up and fall. Trees become bare. It’s a pause - the last moments before plant life ebbs away. During that pause, the worlds of the living & the dead co-mingle. The dead can slip through into our world. But many of the dead are evil spirits. They did wrong in life & are being punished in the spirit world. They’ve become demonic. You have to be careful. You want to honor the dead - give props to the relatives you knew who died & to the ancestors you never met. But you can’t let the evil spirits slip through & get to you. You have to perform rituals the exact right way. You can’t make a mistake or a demon can get your soul.

That’s what Halloween is all about, all over the earth where there are 4 seasons. The dying of plant life & the beginning of the freeze means you’re now in the world between life & death. You might not make it through winter. You fear death. If you die in the coming winter, you want your family to perform the correct rituals for you so that you don’t wind up in the evil place. So you must be sure you honor the ones who went before you. Then they will be able to welcome you on the other side.

They really could’ve used the transition between fall & winter, between life & death and between good & evil a lot better in the film.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2020 8:13 PM

They won’t remake it unless it’s a cheap knock off for a few dollars. Then it’ll tarnish the franchise more.

by Anonymousreply 67March 27, 2020 8:16 PM

They won’t remake it unless it’s a cheap knock off for a few dollars. Then it’ll tarnish the franchise more.

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2020 8:16 PM

[quote] Frankie Grande as Regan would be better.

The resemblance to Pazuzu is uncanny...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 27, 2020 8:17 PM

The tv show was remarkably good.

by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2020 1:46 AM

My soon to be ex could star in it. I"m talking true possession here.

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2020 1:50 AM

"Damie! Damie! Why you do this to me? Damie! It's an escapade, y'all."

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2020 2:11 AM

Maybe a remake could better answer the question about why a random Hollywood starlet's daughter was possessed by an ancient Sumerian demon in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote] The tv show was remarkably good.

Loved the TV show. Great stories, great acting and a gay priest. It was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2020 3:42 AM

If it does happen, I'm sure it'll be a Blumhouse production (like every other horror movie).

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2020 12:05 PM

R75, I wouldn't be opposed to having Leigh Whannell direct after the amazing job he did with The Invisible Man. Elisabeth Moss would also be terrific as the mother. Remember that Ellen Burstyn was not that attractive either.

by Anonymousreply 76March 28, 2020 3:57 PM

[quote] "Damie! Damie! Why you do this to me? Damie! It's an escapade, y'all."

It is speculated that the remake will include Janet breaking out into song, including "If", but the lyrics will include several variations of "your mother sucks cocks in hell", "let Jesus fuck you", "the sow is mine", "you're gonna die up there", etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 28, 2020 5:59 PM

Kathy Bates as Lt. Kinderman. She would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 78March 28, 2020 7:02 PM

While we're at it, how about a scene-for-scene remake of "Psycho," except in color? They would have to update the dollar amount, but other than that, just like the original. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 79March 28, 2020 9:07 PM

I nominate Ella Anderson for the role of Regan. She got excellent reviews for "The Glass Castle," playing the young version of Brie Larson's character. She just turned 15, but looks younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2020 9:24 PM

R73 - Chris McNeil is a very famous actress who is the lead in the movie they are shooting on the Georgetown Campus.

Although it is in the book a bit more than the movie Merrin has battled Pazuzu before in an earlier exorcism in Africa (the film kind of makes it seem like the demon is released by the archeological dig). In the book Merrin sees the statue and knows he will again encounter his old foe - or words to that effect.

So the subtext of the exorcism is it is an arranged battle between two old enemies - and now Merrin is old and weak so Pazuzu will have they upper hand.

Pazuzu chooses Regan to get Merrin assigned to the case - he is a Jesuit in that Province and associated with Georgetown as an academic, though he is usually abroad. The choice of the daughter of a movie star makes the case more “high profile” to the Jesuit hierarchy - and the skeptical Karras might not have agreed to help a woman who wasn’t quite famous.

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2020 10:37 PM

I hate how in the film they made Regan's character act like she was 6-years-old instead of 12. I don't remember Regan's character in the book seeming so... stunted.

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2020 1:18 AM

Linda Blair also claimed she didn't know what masturbation was until years after making the movie. How is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2020 1:31 AM

The TV show was amazing. So sad it never caught on.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2020 1:59 AM

R84, I never saw Season 2. Did I miss out?

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2020 2:00 AM

I thought it was fantastic but what do I know? Home Improvement rant for nearly a decade.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2020 2:03 AM

Season 2 was better than Season 1

by Anonymousreply 87March 29, 2020 2:09 AM

She didn’t madturbate. She stabbed her cunt with a cross.

by Anonymousreply 88March 29, 2020 2:17 AM

R88 I think she also hissed something about letting Jesus or someone fuck her. I don't know the exact dialogue

by Anonymousreply 89March 29, 2020 2:20 AM

“Fuck me Jesus!” That’s what she was screaming when she shoved that crucifix into her vagina.

Tilda Swinton in the Ellen Burstyn part.

by Anonymousreply 90March 29, 2020 2:35 AM

Tilda Swinton would be better in the Max von Sydow part. She kind of looks like him.

by Anonymousreply 91March 29, 2020 2:37 AM

They should do a gender switch of all the characters. The priests and lieutenant - female; the hysterical MacNeils male.

by Anonymousreply 92March 29, 2020 2:40 AM

Let's cast Lindsay Lohan as everybody!!!

by Anonymousreply 93March 29, 2020 3:39 AM

Ella Anderson in Henry Danger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 29, 2020 12:32 PM

Sally Field in the Ellen Burstyn part--"Pazuzu likes me, he really, really likes me!!! Oh yeah, please save my daughter or something".

by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Sally Field having a 12 year old daughter would truly be a sign of the devil.

by Anonymousreply 96March 29, 2020 4:49 PM

Brooke Shields as Chris MacNeil.

by Anonymousreply 97March 29, 2020 5:12 PM

It's time for someone to strangle the EXORCIST Troll.

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2020 6:14 PM

And F.Y.I, 2010 - 2015 or so featured a new demon possession movie EVERY DAMN MONTH at the multiplex. We're still getting bullshit like THE NUN.

This shit is PLAYED OUT. OP is obviously a very old, out-of-touch eldergay who hasn't watched a new movie since his favorite EXORCIST III.

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2020 6:16 PM

There's a new CONJURING coming out this year. We don't need another demon.

by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2020 6:17 PM

Amen r99

by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2020 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!