Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which disinfectants are you using, DLers?

I figured that, given I am quarantined for the next two weeks, now would be a better time than ever to do a thorough disinfecting of problem areas around my house, like doorknobs, counters, light switches, faucets, and other places that are frequently touched. I found a bottle of concentrated Lysol (original scent) under my bathroom sink which I bought last year, but hadn't yet used. I for some reason assumed the "original scent" was lemon, but it instead it smells like a horrible mixture of tires and bandaids. It very much reminds me of the smell of hospitals. In any event, it gets the job done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 8, 2020 8:21 PM

Lame as fuck, OP. Not even remotely clever.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2020 6:49 AM

Soap, water.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2020 6:54 AM

What little I have left of Lysol. Lysol is sold out most places so I'm not sure what I will do when it runs out. Went to whole foods the other day and there was still a shelf of Seventh Generation type cleaning products. It was amusing to see all these erstwhile organic granola yoga mommies suddenly avoiding the Lemon and Tea Tree Oil cleansers like the plague (no pun intended ). What happened to all the declarations of (whiny yoga mommy upspeak ) " We don't NEED harsh chemicals to clean. Plant oils do the same thing naturally, blah blah blah ".

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2020 6:59 AM

Clorox wipes in the big canister.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2020 7:04 AM

I noticed the same, R3. At my Fred Meyer (Kroger), plenty of "natural" cleaning products are available in the organic aisles, whilst the regular cleaning/disinfectant section are totally bare. Also, R1—"be better"? I was only half-joking. I legitimately wanted to disinfect my house given that I've been in public and working this last week. It's probably a smart thing for all of us to do.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2020 7:06 AM

Before birth control was legal, Lysol in the brown bottle was stealth-marketed as a contraceptive for decades (it was technically advertised as a feminine hygiene product). It was actually extremely dangerous—until the early '50s, it contained an ingredient that frequently caused chemical burns in women who used it as a douche.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2020 7:30 AM

I use spray 409 and I have very little left. I have some rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, and bleach. I don’t know if any of those will work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2020 7:31 AM

R7 bleach and alcohol are just as effective I believe. I'm not sure about vinegar—I know it does have disinfectant properties, but I don't know to what extent.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2020 7:37 AM

R6 it was also used by women to induce abortions, which caused a whole host of other health problems, such as renal failure and sepsis. According to Wikipedia, however, the original concentrated Lysol was widely used to disinfect sick rooms and hospitals during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2020 7:40 AM

Clorox wipes.

I switched to bar soap for my hands after noticing I'm running through the liquid stuff too quickly. Turns out, the way we washed our hands in the 70's was much, much better. I don't know if I can switch back to the liquid hand soap when shit calms down and you can buy it again. There's something about holding a bar of soap and just lathering it up in my hands that feels really, really nice.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2020 7:41 AM

[quote]just lathering it up in my hands that feels really, really nice.

Talk slower...

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2020 7:42 AM

Okay, it's been 20 years since Microbiology 101, but... I recall that bleach, ammonia, and whatever the active ingredient in Formula 409 are excellent disinfectants for surfaces.

And that Lysol is not. Scrubbing stuff with soap and hot water is will remove microbes, but the heat and scrubbing does more to kill bacteria than the soap itself. And boiling water will kill anything but a Prion, for things you can use boiling water on.

And BTW, "Clorox" bleach wipes don't actually contain any bleach, they're just Clorox Brand soapy wipes. If you want them to kill whatever they touch, pour some actual bleach into the jar of wipes.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2020 8:06 AM

[quote]And BTW, "Clorox" bleach wipes don't actually contain any bleach, they're just Clorox Brand soapy wipes. If you want them to kill whatever they touch, pour some actual bleach into the jar of wipes.

ARE YOU SHITTING ME???

MOTHERFUCKER.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2020 8:08 AM

R12 the active ingredient in Lysol (at least the concentrated kind, which you dilute with water) is o-benzyl-p-chlorophenol, which does kill bacteria and viruses. This article includes the Lysol concentrate in a list of products that effectively kill coronaviruses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2020 8:16 AM

My Clorox wipe canister says: "Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria."

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2020 11:17 AM

I use Cheryl's pussy juice. Nothing can survive that.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2020 11:23 AM

I was lucky to have bought Lysol and disinfectant wipes in February when I had bronchitis, so I still have plenty of each, though as the weeks go on I worry we'll still have a shortage by the time I run out. I also have a couple of bottles of Lysol bathroom cleaner, then of course there's just good old-fashioned soap if I run out of all that.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2020 11:32 AM

We have the bleach spray for cleaning the bathroom. Kitchen has it's own bleach based cleaning agents. For hand washing I've got enough anti-bacterial soap to last some time.

It's not two weeks - neither of us is sick.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2020 12:21 PM

Oh yeah and i should mention recently had the spouse in the hospital. The ER has both bleach wipes and alcohol wipes.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2020 1:11 PM

Here’s a good article. Turns out vinegar is useless against COVID-19!

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2020 5:57 PM

Using vinegar as a household cleaner will make your house and your hands smell like vinegar for the next decade, and it won't kill any germs.

One of the more unpleasant memories of my childhood there, the period when my well-to-do mother tried cleaning everything with vinegar instead of soap to save a few pennies. Or rather, to make ME clean everything, and go to school smelling of vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2020 6:15 PM

FYI, you do not need to use anti bacterial soap. Any soap will do for hand washing. It's a virus, not a bacterial infection.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2020 9:11 PM

I’m out of Clorox cleaner. Bought bleach at dollar store and mixing with water. Tired of cleaning already.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2020 9:37 PM

How do you clean a light switch? I have actual grime on my light switches. Should I use like a cotton swab or something?

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2020 2:16 AM

Is anyone using the UV light wands that supposedly kill bacteria and viruses? They also make phone disinfectors, cases with UV light that you put your phone directly into.

The vague info I've seen on these thus far is that they are proven to kill certain viruses, so may kill Covid as well. But can't really get a handle on whether it's worth using one. They are all sold out on Amazon but pretty cheap on eBay, about 20 bucks shipped. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with these?

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2020 2:26 AM

If you live alone, why bother? As long as you're the only one touching things.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2020 2:43 AM

Only problem is going to the store. An insane number of contact points - store and bags and products. Cleaning everything I buy is getting old. And worried about all the chemicals on food.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2020 2:46 AM

Yes the virus doesn't magically appear. Disinfecting places make sense in areas multiple people use, but in your own place if you live alone.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2020 2:48 AM

All I have is bleach. The stores near me are all picked over for wipes.

If we're locked down at home, do we really need to be sterilizing surfaces? Where is the virus coming from if we can't leave the fucking house or apartment?

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2020 2:51 AM

R24 suddenly, after 47 years in her hovel, has decided to notice the filth that has kept people away all that time.

And to think she thought it was the overflowing litter boxes.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2020 2:55 AM

Some of you need to just calm down a bit. Use sensible precautions like wash your fucking hands when you come home, never touch your face/eyes/nose/mouth unless you just washed your hands, spray your phone with alcohol and wipe it down, then get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2020 2:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2020 3:00 AM

R26 even if you live alone, you are still potentially carrying bacteria and/or viruses into your house from public spaces. Doing a once-over on spots in your house that are frequently touched is not a bad idea whether you live alone or not.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2020 4:15 AM

[quote]Some of you need to just calm down a bit. Use sensible precautions like wash your fucking hands when you come home

Nope, carry disinfectant wipes and/or hand sanitizer in your pocket/purse and in your car. You need to "wash" your hands as soon as you leave any public place or have any contact with people and/or objects outside your home. It's impossible not to touch your face, especially as we head into itchy allergy season.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 11:34 PM

Who the fuck can find any?

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 11:39 PM

I'm using a solution of bleach and water to wipe down anything that comes into this house. I'm using hand sanitizer dozens of times a day at work. I read that hot water is recommended for washing clothes and dishes so I'm using only hot water in the laundry. The dishwater was already set to water heat/sanitize so I've changed nothing there. I'm trying to be more aware of things I touch and the possibility of someone in the public touching those things so I hit the hand sanitizer each time I touch something.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 11:43 PM

I use rubbing alcohol for electronics and anything that could be ruined by more powerful cleaners, such as my sunglasses. I was using Clorox wipes for things that can take the punishment, but that seemed wasteful, and I want to save those wipes for when I leave the house. Now I use a 409-type cleaner with rags. I've also been cleaning my house more frequently, especially the floor.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 11:43 PM

Comet.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

Tea tree oil

Now my house smells like a eucalyptus swamp.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote] How do you clean a light switch? I have actual grime on my light switches. Should I use like a cotton swab or something?

Dish soap (just a couple of drops), for example, Dawn. Plus water.

I've been using isopropyl alcohol on my phone (when I get home from being outside).

I do have Clorox bleach, but haven't been using that.

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 12:10 AM

I wonder if small sinks near the front door will become a trendy new design feature in new homes after this is all over.

by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2020 12:49 AM

A lot of homes have half baths near the front.

by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2020 12:54 AM

I wonder if people will start having bathrooms/toilets/showers, even rudimentary ones, off of their garages again.

It was more popular when people worked industrial jobs, but it may become in vogue again for people to rinse contagion from them.

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2020 2:16 AM

Does anyone know of ANY store ANY where that will actually sell and ship

Sanitizing wipes

Hand sanitizer

Paper towels?

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2020 3:16 AM

I love you, R44, but it's a dog eat dog world and it would be insane for anyone to give up their source if they had one outside of telling you Amazon. In my case, I had placed an order for paper towel with Amazon three weeks ago and got it yesterday. I also have hand sanitizer wipes from Amazon. I got two huge canisters before the situation really went nuts. As far as clorox wipes, that's impossible to find online. Fortunately, I got one from family friends who own a few stores and kept some hidden for employees/friends/family.

by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2020 3:23 AM

I was always partial to a Pine-Sol douche myself, R6.

by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2020 3:28 AM

Well, I'm going to fucking die without them.

by Anonymousreply 47March 30, 2020 3:33 AM

Comet won’t do anything. Make sure you guys read the instructions of these products. Some of these disinfectants don’t touch viruses at all. Some that do require the surface to be wet for 10 minutes to kill bacteria and viruses.

by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2020 3:35 AM

If you use a diluted bleach solution does it still have the danger of ruining clothes?

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2020 3:37 AM

Yes, R49 , that’s why I don’t like using bleach.

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2020 3:40 AM

Bleach and water while I’m wearing rags. I have some Clorox wipes I purchased before all of this.

by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2020 3:53 AM

R44/r47, do you have dish washing liquid or bars of soap?

by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2020 4:00 AM

I have not been in ANY public spaces since March 15th. I'm basically just hanging out in my 425 sq ft tiny house and working.

by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2020 4:02 AM

Guys, you've been looking in the wrong places....look for hospital grade disinfectant- a gallon is around $30, and there are wipes too.

by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2020 4:02 AM

And where do you buy that R54? Don’t you think the hospitals probably bought it all up?

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2020 4:38 AM

I hope this is a joke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2020 4:39 AM

R56, report them. Amazon and ebay crack down on gouging.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2020 5:07 AM

R54 I have been using Odoban, both the spray and the gallon concentrate, and it says it is used by hospitals. I love it. I used to volunteer at a cat shelter, and they used this because of a ringworm outbreak, so I decided to get some to use at home and now I'm glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2020 5:15 AM

I've never been a big fan of disinfectants, since I've always been pretty 'clean'. I live by myself, and work from home and haven't felt much need for most disinfectants. When I make a point to thoroughly clean the kitchen or bathroom, I typically use chlorine bleach, or a bleach-based cleaner. I also use Lysol (original solution) for the rare occasions when I've been asked to look after someone's dog or cat. I raise orchids, and many species are susceptible to a fungal disease, which normally strikes one leaf at a time. In those cases, I disinfect a pair of scissors to cut off the offending leaf, then disinfect the wound with rubbing alcohol, then disinfect the scissors again with rubbing alcohol. For my own injuries, I normally use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. I don't use hydrogen peroxide if I have an open wound (the bubbles can get into your bloodstream, and cause problems). I had surgery several weeks ago and have been using rubbing alcohol on the scar, just to ensure I don't accidentally introduce an infection.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2020 5:37 AM

r55, you're too lazy to Google, but I found smaller Medical supply stores and ebay for my gallon.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2020 2:12 PM

On EBay, search for, "Metrex 13-1000 CaviCide Surface Disinfectant Decontaminant Cleaner 1 Gallon". The store is "My Dental Supply". It costs $39.99 with $7.5 shipping

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2020 2:15 PM

What I will say might shock some. Even the fucking Wally World had no wipes, bleach, etc. when we were there the other day. It's horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 62April 1, 2020 5:13 PM

Odoban disinfectant products

by Anonymousreply 63April 1, 2020 5:31 PM

I bought a gallon of Lemocide from Amazon 2 weeks ago. It was on the Tier II Coronavirus disinfectant list now when I checked so i feel good :) I wanted to buy Lemon Quat which I believe is a Tier I but could not even find it to order and that was 2 weeks ago. I have masks for gardening that i will start to use when i go to the grocery store. I have a little old lady momma that I forage for. It kills me not to hug and kiss her-I drop off food and items in her garage and blow kisses. I gave her a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to spray the packages with. Also, spraying mail with the rubbing alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 64April 1, 2020 6:25 PM

R62 what is Wally world?

by Anonymousreply 65April 1, 2020 8:22 PM

dicks in fuck tents

by Anonymousreply 66April 1, 2020 8:36 PM

I’m using Pray-the-Gay-Away! I know it’s a bandaid solution, but I’m ready for the real deal just yet.

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2020 8:40 PM

NOT READY***, hence use of said product. One day I will present hole, I promise.

by Anonymousreply 68April 1, 2020 8:41 PM

For all of you using alcohol, peroxide, bleach and other disinfectants, have they damaged the finishes of your stone countertops and specialty doorknobs (like brass or oil rubber bronze)? I’ve only ever used soap and water to clean those things.

by Anonymousreply 69April 1, 2020 9:44 PM

Does bleach lose its effectiveness once the bottle has been opened?

by Anonymousreply 70April 1, 2020 9:49 PM

R69, you don't have to constant;y clean them unless you're touching them after being outside. If you're just sitting home every day, you don't need to.

BTW, when you do sanitize, don't forget light switches and cabinet handles.

by Anonymousreply 71April 1, 2020 9:49 PM

I just looked at the CDA list of approved disinfectants for COViD and the part that startled me was the section labeled "contact time". Almost all of the products require contact time of 1 to up to 10 minutes, many being 5 to ten minutes. Contact time is defined by CDC as the amount of time that the surface should be visibly wet. But when me and almost everyone I know sprays or wipes down surfaces, stuff is not wet for more than la few seconds before it dries. So is this really accurate and necessary, and how do you even do this?

by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2020 1:53 PM

R72 good question.. also what is difference between bleach for laundry and cleaning ? From what I can tell it is sodium hypochlorite but I noticed my bottle says not for disinfectant even though it says for cleaning kitchen and bathroom as well.

Is this just a marketing ploy? Or concentration issue?

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2020 8:32 PM

I’ve run out of my usual cleaner and All I’ve been able to get is spray nine and cleaning vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2020 8:45 PM

If shouldn't had to find some cleaner r74. I've run it into it at stores.

As long as you are trying to buy toilet paper, Clorox wipes or hand sanitizer should be a le to find it somewhere l

by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2020 8:49 PM

A couple of hints:

The best place to currently find cleaning supplies of any supplies is on-line Janitorial Supply Companies. Just google. There you will find your typically well-known Label favorites from Clorox to Lysol as well as these companies own products promising literally to kill off nuclear waste material. Surprisingly, you do NOT have to buy in bulk at many ( you could buy as little as a gallon or perhaps a 3 pack of wipes). Another benefit: you may get REALLY LUCKY and some of these businesses may still have paper products left to sell as in hallowed T.P. However, be aware- many consumers have caught on to this trend, so you may have to search a couple of these sites till you find exactly what you want.

Also: Old school doctors offices frequently cleaned with nothing mire than pump-bottles of rubbing alcohol and cotton pads to wipe down and disenfect hard surfaces. And the same goes for Hydrogen Peroxide and many Commercial cleaners today still use this ingredient in many of their heavy duty cleaners. My grandmother, an old Army nurse, was forever bitching that MRSA came along " Right when they stopped using H.P. in the Hospitals god dammit"- so if you have a bottle or two of these products look up online how to use as a home cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2020 9:13 PM

R74 what is spray nine? Also, vinegar won’t kill the virus. I already checked.

by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2020 9:30 PM

Is Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner close enough to whatever regular Lysol is? Or is Lysol really just a corporate name for whatever products it makes?

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2020 12:56 AM

I just moved into an apartment with granite or "granite" countertops. Can I use chlorox spray on it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2020 1:00 AM

Try to read the fine print on the back R79. It should spell out which surfaces you can use it on.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2020 2:27 AM

My mom always uses spray nine. It’s listed as an acceptable hard surface cleaner for Covid 19

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2020 4:05 AM

Hydrogen peroxide

by Anonymousreply 82April 8, 2020 6:04 PM

I'm using the salt of my tears, OP.

by Anonymousreply 83April 8, 2020 6:05 PM

Has anyone seen Lysol anywhere recently?

by Anonymousreply 84April 8, 2020 6:06 PM

I was lucky I got one can from a friend who owns a store - I use it to spray every box I receive. I leave the boxes in the front overnight. I found a bottle of that concentrated stuff at the OP, so I'm going to use that eventually. It smells awful, but gotta use it.

by Anonymousreply 85April 8, 2020 8:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!