Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Question For Any Knowledgeable Virus Follower

The Mayor of LA Eric Garcetti made this statement yesterday,

[quote]The mayor said L.A. is six to 12 days behind New York in being hit with a wave of positive cases. "The peak is not here yet," he said. "It will be bad."

I'm not understanding what New York has to do with the timing of events here in Los Angeles. San Francisco is already a virus "hot spot". We have plenty of people traveling from all over the world here just like New York, many from the East.

I'm trying to make sense out of his statement, is there some kind of chart or something I missed that points to what he is saying?

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2020 1:35 PM

The developing cases seem to follow a similar kind of curve everywhere. That said since barely anyone is tested the only numbers that really say something are the ones of the casualties IF they are reported correctly to have been caused by the coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2020 4:17 PM

Where the hell have you been? Time to put the Fleshlight down for two minutes and pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2020 4:20 PM

Appears most serious cases involve the elderly and/or people with underlying health issues.

If you're young and healthy and you get it bad, I would get a full physical after you're well to determine if you have some undiagnosed health problem (diabetes? HIV? cancer?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2020 4:22 PM

I know they have been tracking some kind of curve but San Francisco would seem to have more to do with LA's projection than New York which is on the other side of the country no?

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2020 4:23 PM

I don't think LA will get anywhere near as bad as NYC. LA is spread-out, unlike NYC where people live on top of one another and use the subway to get around. Plus, LA went into lockdown, which NYC failed to do.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2020 4:27 PM

NYC has been in lockdown for over a week now. It doesn't mean what you think it means, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2020 4:30 PM

Government officials are as in the dark about the progress of Wuflu as medical professionals. Everyone is guessing and speculating.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2020 4:35 PM

There is a map in this NYT article that shows where the cases are clustered in this country. There is a dense cluster in the North Eastern part of the country. Then you look at places like Arizona and New Mexico and the cases are spread out.

Other than sporting events, conventions and concerts there are no other places where large numbers of Angelenos come in contact with each other. If this virus can't be spread by incidental contact then maybe the numbers won't be as bad out here in CA. A this point though, there is no report on how it is spread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote]I know they have been tracking some kind of curve but San Francisco would seem to have more to do with LA's projection than New York which is on the other side of the country no?

FFS - it doesn't have anything to do with proximity or people traveling and spreading the virus.

This is why we're all going to die in a massive extinction-level epidemic.

Extremely simplified:

* the spread of the virus and infection rates appear to follow a geometric pattern (the rate of change of a number of infected people over time time is proportional to the number of infected people - the more people who are infected the faster the infection rates will become). You will hear people speak of "exponential" or "geometric" growth rates - while they are mathematically different, over the relevant range, they essentially express the same type of growth pattern.

* since this pattern appears to be consistent (so far), LA can look at the infection rates over a period of days and weeks that another city like NY had and forecast the likely rise in infections and infection rates that LA will experience over a similar period of time.

* based on the current infection rates, Garcetti is saying that in terms of the pattern (infection rates), LA is now where NY was 6-12 days ago, assuming it follows the same trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2020 4:46 PM

Thank you r9.

You started out kind of bitchy though.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]FFS - it doesn't have anything to do with proximity or people traveling and spreading the virus

That's not what Cuomo said in his daily briefing today. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]That's not what Cuomo said in his daily briefing today. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

Perhaps it would be better if we all died and the planet started again since we clearly have so few sentient life forms in any case.

No one can possibly be this stupid, and yet...

Read OP's post and my answer. Garcetti's statement is not a reference to spreading the virus, but when LA will peak. Yes, spreading the virus will have an impact on the rate at which infections occur. But, the notion of using the observed growth curve for infections in NY as a baseline to compare when LA will hit a (local) peak is a different matter.

Did people simply sleep during high school biology and intro to calculus when the derivative (rate of change) was taught?

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2020 5:04 PM

^^Well, i did.

Rate of what? Derivatives?

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2020 5:08 PM

Oh, and one more thing.

What Cuomo et al. are trying to do is FLATTEN the curve and slow the infection rate since, as noted, the more people who are infected, the fast the rate of infections will be (and therefore, more people will be become infected).

Sheltering in place, self-imposed quarantines, and eliminating travel between locations will reduce exposure and lower the rate at which new infections occur. If that rate can be sufficiently flattened, we will essentially have the situation under control - until the next wave of rising infections that ALL experts predict will occur will necessitate a second round of social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote]^^Well, i did.

Well, then you have insufficient knowledge to grasp the basic principles.

So...virus - bad. Makes people sick. No get close to other people who might be sick - make you sick, too. Some people who get sick go to heaven.

Simple enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2020 5:12 PM

R9 / r14 / r14, you're doing the written version of flailing about.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2020 5:13 PM

No r12 I was stoned as fuck during Biology.

Biology was right after lunch during which I'd got out and burn one.

My brain was fried, I remember nothing.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2020 5:15 PM

Per one of the abandoned cruise ships, the active virus can survive on hard surfaces for a minimum of 17 days. Yes, you can and people have caught it from touching things it is sitting on. LA being spread out is only as helpful as the hygiene of the people and businesses they enter.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2020 5:16 PM

Pople in LA can;t even stand to drive together, so there are different problems than in NY, which is the most conducive city to communicating the virus.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2020 5:17 PM

[quote][R9] / [R14] / [R14], you're doing the written version of flailing about.

We mock what we don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2020 5:17 PM

R15, I was kidding but your response was even more hilarious. Thank you, I needed a laugh. I really did.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2020 5:21 PM

This peak projection data is for novel coronavirus COVID-19. Chinese researchers are saying there is a COVID-2020, also known as a different or second strain.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2020 5:27 PM

No, r20. I understand, which is why I'm mocking you.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote]the active virus can survive on hard surfaces

Then it doesn't stand a chance on my dick.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2020 5:45 PM

Has anyone said anything about how it lasts on other surfaces like cloth?

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2020 5:47 PM

Summary: You're going to die in a week

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2020 5:48 PM

LOL, r15!

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2020 5:52 PM

R12 in all her visages does a rather convincing job of looking like an unhelpful, unwanted pisspot who is just toooooooo for anyone else.

And with cunts, it doesn't matter where the gash is locating or if it is still bleeding. It's still a cunt.

And not an effective communicator, either.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2020 5:58 PM

R11 although it makes sense I believe Cuomo stressed that it was a personal opinion.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2020 6:20 PM

r28 - you type poor...and unedumacated.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2020 8:10 PM

Girls! Girls! You're all insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2020 8:53 PM

Jesus OP, why not go to an official coronavirus website and EDUCATE YOURSELF.

or is it too tough for you

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2020 9:24 PM

The poster on this thread had some good info, but ruined it by being an overall cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2020 9:43 PM

No he didn't, r33. he was wrong about a lot. As r32 said, go to an official website and educate yourself vs. someone on DL who speaks authoritatively.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2020 9:54 PM

What is the difference between "coronavirus" and "covid-19"?

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Unconfirmed, r35, but I read somewhere:

COVID-19

[bold]Co[/bold]rona [bold]Vi[/bold]rus [bold]D[/bold]isease 2019

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2020 10:32 PM

[quote]he was wrong about a lot.

Really? Like what specifically?

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2020 10:44 PM

R22, is there a short story version? I have a low attention span.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2020 10:44 PM

Lots of Chinese people in LA and SF. It will be bad there

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2020 10:52 PM

"So...virus - bad. Make people sick. No get close to other people who might be sick - make you sick, too. Some people who get sick go to heaven."

Patient Zero?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2020 10:55 PM

I think many Angelenos took it seriously and self-quarantined but the social distancing wasn't taken seriously by some as the better weather had people going out to the parks, beaches, etc.. It sets back everything.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2020 11:00 PM

"What is the difference between "coronavirus" and "covid-19"?

R35. There are many different coronaviruses. Some are responsible for the "common cold". Covid 19 is the specific coronavirus responsible for the current pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2020 11:02 PM

I walked through the Grove today and it was practically empty; a security guard or two; three cops getting take out (I think the restaurant gave it to them gratis) - it was surreal.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2020 11:08 PM

And R42, the China virus?

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2020 11:16 PM

I call it the Trump virus to go along with the Trump Recession.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2020 3:11 AM

He’s an interactive map with peak medical resource usage dates.

In Massachusetts, it looks like April 12th is peak resource use, and by about May 1, we’ll be through the worst of it. Virginia doesn’t peak until about May 1st.

How is your state going to do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2020 6:05 AM

this is biological warfare and agents infiltrated NYC and purposely spread the disease there, which explains the large number of cases.

The rest are just natural cases. The idea to use this for biological warfare came after a few cases were detected naturally.

This is why you have all these "foreign," missing "children" (late teens) as of late. They are sleeper cells gone into action

by Anonymousreply 47March 30, 2020 7:48 AM

R15 I LOVE you!

by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2020 8:07 AM

Lots of Chinese people in LA and SF. It will be bad there

The virus map of NYC has shown comparatively little spread in the Chinese populated areas, because they are used to wearing masks and have taken the stay at home directive very seriously.

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2020 1:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!