Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you personally know anyone who has COVID19?

Statistics are easy to gloss over until it they get real in your own experience. Feel free to reply with details.

(This poll is addressing actual personal acquaintances; not just well known people you’ve heard of.)

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2021 2:28 PM

So 65% don’t know anyone or don’t know if they know anyone with the virus. Wonder how soon that will change?

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2020 11:33 PM

A friend of mine ( and his girlfriend) definitely have it. It hasn't been confirmed by a test, because testing is so limited, but they have all the symptoms and her boss is a confirmed case.

They are riding it out at home.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2020 11:36 PM

R2 Hope they’ll be ok. Can you tell us how sick they are and what their symptoms are?

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2020 12:24 AM

Yes, my neighbor Vivian Vance has it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2020 12:26 AM

One person who’s confirmed and has relatively minor symptoms (says it’s comparable to bad flu, but recovering at home).

One person in a similar “bad flu/at home” situation who suspects but hasn’t been tested.

My BF’s next door neighbour has apparently been diagnosed.

One utter drama queen who insists she had it months ago but certainly didn’t.

All this is in London.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2020 12:41 AM

I had only heard about friends of friends but didn’t personally know them, until yesterday. I found out a relative has all the symptoms and is waiting for test results to come back. She lives in FL but recently came back from Europe, so she may have gotten it there.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2020 1:08 AM

Someone from my church has it.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2020 1:09 AM

Personally, i know of tom Hanks. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2020 1:14 AM

It started with them feeling sickly and tired, then coughing and chest pains, and an intermittent fever r3. Nothing they think is extreme enough to seek medical attention.

They are in their early thirties/late twenties.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2020 1:17 AM

Sorry, R8. I think Tom Hanks would qualify as “a well known person you’ve heard of.”

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2020 1:18 AM

They were talking about 2 strains at first: 'L' (sniffles, scratchy throat, fever) and 'S' (respiratory issues, death). Now I don't hear so much about that.

I believe I had 'S' over a month ago, but lived to tell about the worst illness I've ever had. At the time I told people I thought I had food poisoning or something. But now that they've added 'vomiting' and 'diarrhea' to the symptoms, I know that's what I had.

I can guarantee someone less healthy than I would not survive that.

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2020 1:56 AM

A friend of a friend has it and he says it's awful. He could barely move for some days and was practically passed out. He is at home and has been classified as a "mild case".

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2020 2:08 AM

A nurse friend was suspected of catching it, she finishes up quarantine tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2020 2:10 AM

I work in a Manhattan skyscraper, office takes up multiple floors. For the past couple of weeks I KNEW someone in my office had it. A work friend of mine. She's young, a real go getter and low energy all of a sudden. Travels a lot and has to interact with everybody as part of her job. I was really suspecting because her energy was way down. Unlike people who are sniffling from allergies or whatever. When I last saw her, over a week ago, before we all went to working remotely, it was like she had a fever cloud around her. I think she was just in denial. Now it's confirmed she, along with a few others, have it. The company is international so people from different offices do work visits constantly. It's been longer than 72 hours which I understand is the danger zone. I wasn't within a meter of her the whole time last time I saw her but probably touched the frame of her office door and who knows about things like rest rooms. We were all washing our hands madly that morning and I don't think I ever touched my face except immediately after washing my hands so I think I'm good. She's good too, she's at home and on the mend.

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2020 2:12 AM

I think a lot of people were keeping their infections secret. They couldn't afford to call-off work, and they didn't want to be ostracized and quarantined. Maybe they didn't have insurance, either.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2020 3:20 AM

Andy Cohen

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2020 3:41 AM

Likely as much I do, but I dont know yet and neither do they

So I put Dont Know

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2020 4:14 AM

I know two people who had it and recovered. One is a 30ish woman I work with who travels internationally and probably got it from a plane (she's Irish) another is a 40ish man I work with who travels internationally and probably got it from a plane (and come to think of it, he's Irish). Both are based in NYC and neither had been in Ireland for awhile but both had been (separately) elsewhere in Europe. Wonder if the Irish are susceptible.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 9:25 PM

My friend is NJ is recovering from it. Five coworkers and friends have died from it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 9:27 PM

At least three.

Jerusalem Israel

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 9:29 PM

Two people had it early- Jan (NY) and March (Chicago) and told no one until they got tested for antibodies to donate blood. The third one is one of my ex BFs (Northern California) just got it last week.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 9:30 PM

I got my results today...I have it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 9:38 PM

I lost a very close friend from a COVID-related stroke. No underlying health issues except probably undiagnosed hypertension. She was 54. Another friend’s 46 year old brother is recovering from a COVID-related stroke. Also no underlying condition Two of my friends have lost their mothers to it. One had just moved to assisted living in January, was dead by March. A 23-year old family member tested positive, quarantined at home for 2 weeks and has a cough for 4 weeks. He said it felt like a weight was crushing his chest.

All in the NYC metro area, March - end of May.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

My partner had it, someone in my NYC office died, and just today someone in our Atlanta office told me their adult daughter and young granddaughter had it. And I know a second person in another of our NYC locations tested positive. And those are only the ones I am aware of. I’m sure there are more but between HIPAA and the lack of tests at the start it’s hard knowing who all they are.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 9:49 PM

Well, I'm black and I live in New York. I've lost a cousin and two former co-workers who passed from it and I think ten people who have it, including a dear friend who still has inflamed joints and is losing her hair since she and her husband were infected in March.

How dare people not wear fucking masks.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 9:58 PM

And...by the way...I am a Healthcare professional.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 3:51 PM

My son (works in a hospital) was diagnosed in April. He said that he couldn't even walk across the floor because the coughing and fatigue were so bad. The thing that troubles me is that he still can't manage a flight of stairs without coughing and breathing difficulties. He's only 28 years old, doesn't have any co-morbidities. But hey, as the fatass in chief says "It is what it is". 😠

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 4:03 PM

Yes, a doctor in NYC and his whole immediate family got it. Luckily no one died.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote] She lives in FL but recently came back from Europe, so she may have gotten it there.

Well, this comment didn’t age well.

(That’s not a dig at the poster, just the irony of it with what we know today.)

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote] Five coworkers and friends have died from it.

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 4:14 PM

I have had it. I know 3 people who have died from it - 46, 54 and 56 - one of whom was a good friend. Not sure how others are so unscathed by it. The 3 I know had obesity or diabetes - but still it stunned me and made this whole thing hit home hard. My case was bad - but I recovered. I’m still in shock over losing a close friend - way too young.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 4:15 PM

I'm sorry, r31. Hope you recover well.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 10:02 PM

My cousin and her husband had it early on. They both recovered.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 10:05 PM

A friend of mine lost her grandfather to it in May here in the UK.

I’m also fairly convinced that I had it in March, following lunch with a friend who told me she had been in hospital the previous week with a strange illness which left her with respiratory symptoms and coughing up blood. I was ill a few days later, albeit with mild symptoms: sore throat, fatigue, inability to taste or smell. I put it down to allergies, but now I suspect it was covid. There were few tests available at that time though, so I just stayed home. I’d love to know if I definitely had it though.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 10:09 PM

I have a friend who had it. He thinks it may have been a false positive though, he never developed symptoms. He is 64 and type 2 diabetic so if he did actually have it he is fortunate to have skated through it so easily.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 11:05 PM

Two people I know both recovered, one was in the hospital because he was grossly obese with heart problems, and I mean grossly obese like a sub compact car obese.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 11:10 PM

My partner and I were sick for three weeks with many of the symptoms in early March, but by the time we got the test, it was negative. His boss was diagnosed with it before we got sick, so we think we got it from him. We even had crap going on with our hearts. My partner had to get a procedure done to the electrical system of his heart in July. Our doctor say the antibody test is usually 50% incorrect, so she won't give us a script for one.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 1:43 AM

2 who died. 1 in the hospital for 20 days but pulled through. 2 who were really, really sick for three plus weeks at home.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 2:27 AM

I forgot some up above. A friend’s aunt and father both got it; the aunt died after about 6 weeks in a coma, she was only in her early 50s. And an old teacher had it as well.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2020 2:50 AM

I had it last month. Mine would be considered mild since I had no chest pain or shortness of breath, but it was grueling. I had a low fever for 11 days so I did nothing but sleep. It was like a never ending flu. I lost taste for one day, but my sense of smell is still minimal.

I’m lucky. I feel fine now, minus the lack of smell. I got paid by my employer, too.

I work in a hospital, so I’ve definitely seen deaths. Fortunately, no coworkers have died. I think the Remdesivir and steroids have been saving more patients, too.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2020 2:53 AM

Yes. My 59 year old neighbor was found by his nurse on his bedroom floor having trouble breathing. As they were loading him into the ambulance I called out to him and he gave me a thumbs up. He was hospitalized for a week on a ventilator . His niece told me he died on Monday. He tested positive for COVID and they said his lungs were full up. He had underlying medical issue he was diabetic and alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote] I think the Remdesivir and steroids have been saving more patients, too.

This gives me hope.

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2020 11:59 AM

[quote]My 59 year old neighbor was found by his nurse on his bedroom floor having trouble breathing.

[quote]He had underlying medical issue

I should think so if he was only 59 and needed a visiting nurse service.

by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2020 12:01 PM

r38, where are you located? Just trying to gauge...the East Coast strain seems to be worse than the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2020 3:57 PM

R40 here. I’m in Florida, if we’re keeping track. I’ve seen everything from asymptomatic nursing home patients to intubated twentysomethings (always large and diabetic, in my experience; mostly Hispanic though the black population outnumbers them in this area).

If you have a short, fat neck, then lose weight. You’re at high risk for severe complications.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2020 2:49 AM

I just tallied all of the people I know who have been infected with covid and I'm not at 30, praying that my mom hasn't become another.

Tell me this is not normal.

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2021 5:01 PM

Yes. I know person who died from it. My coworker. They literally dropped dead.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2021 5:02 PM

Twelve in total. 9 minor cases, 2 requiring hospitalization, one who passed away.

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2021 5:03 PM

My partner had it in July.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2021 5:04 PM

I dare say most of the “None” responses from last March would have to change now.

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2021 5:05 PM

My unlce had it - he is in a nursing home and can't get out (he was in for rehab after a stroke before covid) got it in there - he is having post coivd issues , may lose his leg.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2021 5:06 PM

My cousin had Covid, confirmed by test

A long time family friend had it, confirmed by test and then she died

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2021 5:08 PM

I stopped counting at 30 of my customers in June. 3 died. My brother got infected by a Trumper and was sick as hell for months.

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2021 5:08 PM

Several coworkers and/or their family members.

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2021 5:15 PM

I'm in Louisiana so we were hit hard in the spring, there have been many cases and probably twelve deaths we both know between us. Mostly elderly but a good bit from diabetes and obesity, which is rampant here. We are are on a downtrend they say.

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2021 5:30 PM

Dozens of people. Three died. More than ten have hospitalized. I've lost count.

The first two, both women in their 40's who didn't know what it was in February (and both of whom have since tested positive for the antibodies), told me they were so out of it that getting up in bed, let alone putting their feet on the floor let alone actually walking to the bathroom was pure agony. One was skiing in Austria in January, the other never left Boston. Both were in bed for nine or ten days straight and felt like shit for a month. Neither have any of the recognized co-morbidities. And both said their docs subsequently told them they had "mild" cases. One friend who's been feeling like shit and lost her sense of smell and taste had a COVID test at Cedars in LA on Friday which was negative. She's not so sure.

There are 7 million people in Massachusetts and so far, more than half-a-million confirmed COVID diagnoses. Obviously, as some people are asymptomatic, that number is higher. There have been almost 15,000 deaths here attributed to COVID. That number is most likely higher as well.

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2021 5:31 PM

I know three. Two guys (gay couple) just couldn't stay home. Always out, not masking properly. They both got it. The older one is still having trouble 2 months on while the younger one thinks he's immune for life and back out partying. Days before they were diagnosed they drove a friend to the grocery (alegedly all were masked while in the car) and the 3rd guy came down with it a week later, ending up in the hospital for 12 days.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2021 5:58 PM

I had it in November. I’m 60 and healthy. I thought I had a cold. My company demanded that I get tested. The test came back positive. My tiredness and dry cough lasted three days. No sense of taste or smell for a week and a half. That was it.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2021 6:02 PM

My 70 year old uncle and five acquaintances. All got over it.

Only my uncle was hospitalized, but he was posting from Facebook the entire time and milking the attention for all he could.

SF Bay Area here. Not convinced the lockdowns were/are justified despite all the hysteria about how "bad it is here."

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2021 6:07 PM

Further to R56, about the friend who's been feeling like shit and lost her sense of smell and taste who had a COVID test at Cedars in LA on Friday which was negative. I just got a text from her saying she had another test this morning because she felt so shitty last night and was told she has COVID now.

She said her dog has been sick all last week. I wonder if the dachshund has it too?

by Anonymousreply 60January 31, 2021 6:14 PM

My sister has it right now. She's a nurse on a covid ward. It has knocked her off her feet, it's not to be underestimated guys!

by Anonymousreply 61January 31, 2021 6:19 PM

All Diagnosed:

* three dead and buried

* my friend currently has it and barely avoided the ventilator- she's finally out of the hospital and is on steroids while doing oxygen at home

* my aunt wasn't so fortunate and ended up on the pressure mask twice and still has trouble walking

* a coworker's sister has been on oxygen for 2 months (at home now)

* my mom just got over it (surprisingly mild case, considering she's a diabetic)

* another friend's husband got a moderate case back in April

* another coworker's 28 year-old brother was in and out of the hospital for 8 weeks (twice on ventilator), despite no known preexisting conditions

* yet another coworker's 31 year-old cousin died of it (no preexistings) after "something was going around" in her preschool class. Her partner also taught there and got it, but survived.

* my 10 year-old client had a moderate case at the beginning of this month- yes, kids can get it and spread it, which Kaiser has been saying all along in member emails

Undiagnosed:

* friend's 3 year-old had the exact same symptoms a week before her husband tested positive, but County refused to test her son because it was assumed then that children don't get it

by Anonymousreply 62January 31, 2021 6:27 PM

r59, so just because you had a mild case of covid, you don't think we should do everything we can to contain a virus that's killed close to half a million people?

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2021 4:09 AM

I'm in California, the worst state and I still don't know anyone with it.

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2021 5:01 AM

Yes, quite a few male friends in their early 20s to late 30 got it and they still can’t smell after 6 months. It’s horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 65February 1, 2021 5:03 AM

I didn't know anyone with a confirmed case until a couple months ago, and now I know 5. One got it after working at a warehouse for one week. He barely got sick at all, but gave it to his girlfriend, who is having a rather rough time with it.

by Anonymousreply 66February 1, 2021 5:10 AM

My stepdad, who probably gave it to my mother (who didn't get tested); my boss's daughter got it twice and her boyfriend had it; an old friend and his boyfriend; someone I work with, plus some possible cases amongst people I work with (not everyone admits to having had it, I think.) My niece and a friend of mine know people who died of it.

by Anonymousreply 67February 1, 2021 5:19 AM

California here. Yes, my brother had it. He was sick for about a month, mostly weakness, headache and muscle aches. My co-worker and her daughter had it. Surprisingly, she hardly had any symptoms despite being overweight and diabetic. Her daughter, about 19, was sick with chills and flu-like symptoms for a couple of weeks and recovered.

My friend's husband died of Covid last week. He was around 50 years old, no prior medical problems.

It's like the luck of the draw how people react to it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 1, 2021 5:22 AM

Friend in his 40s got it. Healthy, no major comorbidities. Ended up on a ventilator. Six months later he is still on oxygen and has worked his way up to walking about 200 ft with a walker. I don't think he will ever fully recover - too much lung damage.

I know two people over 70 who died. I know a few others that had it very mildly.

by Anonymousreply 69February 1, 2021 5:28 AM

My brother has had Covid twice. My mother had it.

by Anonymousreply 70February 1, 2021 5:42 AM

Friend's mom in mid-60's got it after their Christmas Day family get together. She collapsed two weeks later after testing poz without symptoms. Dead the next night.

I like my friend and warned her it was stupid. Now, they'll miss out on 15-20 more Christmases and other holidays...and every day...without her because they couldn't follow rules.

Latinx

by Anonymousreply 71February 1, 2021 5:46 AM

At this point, I've known at least 20 people with it, some relatives, some friends, some co-workers. I'm in a medium-sized city in the Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 72February 1, 2021 8:11 AM

I got it this month and literally have no idea how.

I've been isolating in my NYC apartment. I haven't gone into a store or a public place since September. I haven't been to the gym, bar, restaurant or indoor social gathering in a year. I get groceries and takeout delivered, and every time I open the door, I wear a mask and safety glasses, then wash my hands throroughly.

I have to wonder if it travels through the plumbing or radiator systems in apartment buildings.

I wore triple-layer tightly woven cotton masks, as recommended. I guess I should have been wearing a surgical mask under that, but they just told us to start doing that now.

by Anonymousreply 73February 1, 2021 8:30 AM

Nine of my relatives and myself. No one died, no one went to the hospital. Well except the one who was pregnant at the time.

by Anonymousreply 74February 1, 2021 8:48 AM

FLight Attendant here and know quite a few. Some very asymptomatic and some got very ill.

by Anonymousreply 75February 1, 2021 9:03 AM

My partner's aunt had it and died from it last May.

by Anonymousreply 76February 1, 2021 9:53 AM

A 60-year-old friend retired early only to die within a year. Took the lockdown seriously but had to go to the emergency room for a broken arm. He knows that's where he got it. He died within a month.

My friend's 60-year-old mother died last week from COVID. Active and healthy.

Know a few people who have had it or have it with no serious problems from it yet.

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2021 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!