Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Class of 2020 Graduates

This year must really suck for them.

The WuFlu has deprived them of their Senior year festivities.

No proms, no parties, and likely no graduation.

I would be PISSED.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2020 6:18 PM

I teach seniors, so that's how they feel. My school is out until April 30!

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2020 1:36 AM

Those were all of the things I tried like hell to avoid during my senior year. But many students do look forward to that stuff, so it would be hard for them to lose those opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2020 1:36 AM

Thanks, China!

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2020 1:40 AM

The prom isn't all that great, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2020 1:50 AM

Dumb. Ass. Thread.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2020 1:52 AM

R5 posting from Wuhan.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2020 1:57 AM

Yeah, no chance to finger bang Mary Jane Rotten Crotch thru her pretty pink panties.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2020 2:03 AM

I'm a college professor. All of our graduation ceremonies have been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2020 2:16 AM

Really OP? Highschoolers missing their prom?

There are tons of people out of work who can't pay their rent, tons of owners of small businesses who now have no income and are going to be ruined financial.

But yeah, a dumb dance...

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2020 2:20 AM

Apparently, you've never been a teenager R9.

Either that, or it was 100 years ago.

Fucking grump.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2020 2:28 AM

Hello hello, yes, it's very sad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2020 2:50 AM

Nope r10, I stand by my post.

College seniors I feel bad for because this is an awful time to be going on the job market.

Highschool seniors?! In general, none of their problems are real problems.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2020 2:54 AM

Well good for you, R12.

Now that you've lived your life, you don't give a shit.

But a lot of high school Seniors will be missing out on what should be the best year of their life.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2020 6:12 AM

I am supposed to graduate with my B.S. this May. So far there are 2 confirmed cases in the city where my university is. The administration is to make an announcement by March 31st on whether or not commencement will be postponed. I fully expect it to be postponed, which is still devastating to me and the fellow seniors who have been looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2020 8:26 AM

I thought this too OP until someone told me that the schools in my town already had their proms in recent weeks. School ends in May. My mind is still back in January

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2020 10:30 AM

No one getting knocked up at prom.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2020 3:23 PM

I got a postcard in the mail about my 50th HS reunion later this year. I wonder if that will get cancelled as well.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2020 6:18 PM

Yes, what a pity.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2020 6:43 PM

OSU ends in-person classes and kicks students out of dorms buh-bye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2020 6:53 PM

Yep r12. Employers and hiring managers have much bigger things on their minds than interviewing and hiring the entry-level college grads of 2020. No.one cares about them.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2020 6:53 PM

I just asked my [gay] nephew over messenger -- he's a senior set to graduate this year -- how he felt about miss prom and Grad Nite and he basically just shrugged and said whatever.

It's going to be more of a challenge for my sister to keep him from sneaking off for secret hangouts with his BF.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2020 7:02 PM

*missing

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2020 7:02 PM

Yes, it is sad for everyone -high school, college, grad school, whatever that they will have to miss out o celebrating their achievements. But they will still be here when the crisis is over and they can celebrate then. Right now we have an international crisis to get through, and we all have a part to play even if that consists of simply staying at home.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2020 7:12 PM

My family has a college graduation, a high school graduation, a first holy communion, a baptism and (2) weddings coming up in the next 3 months. All of ‘em shot to shit.

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2020 7:22 PM

R24, lemme guess: Italian?

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2020 7:26 PM

R24 lemme also guess: the same person?

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2020 7:28 PM

Who cares? When I was in high school I skipped all that shit. On the last day of high school I never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2020 7:29 PM

What will we call this generation born of bored parents stuck at home, will there be some sort of baby boom

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2020 8:03 PM

R28 This next Millennial baby boom born during quarantine will be called Corona Babies.

by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2020 8:10 PM

These kids are going to miss out on much more than graduation.

Because of the quarantines, the downturn in the economy for at least a decade, loss of "normal life," and possibly marshal law imposed by the government, their not going to know any of the joys, that generations before them got to experience.

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2020 8:45 PM

OP you are triggering all the DLers who were unpopular in high school and did not continue on to college

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2020 8:50 PM

Exactly, R31.

All the nerds, outcasts and losers who were shoved into lockers during high school, hate hearing about good times that OTHER people might have had.

The point is, millions of Seniors around the country are going to miss out on one of the biggest days of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2020 2:29 AM

R32, no offense, but I think the losers are adults who still think that events from their senior year in high school are the highlight of their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2020 2:34 AM

Try graduating from law school in 2011. The 2008 recession hit firms hardest by then. No jobs to be found unless you were Harvard, Yale, or Stanford or Top 5% of your class.

I was fortunate I got my shit together and was in the latter group but man, many of my classmates went nowhere in their legal careers despite $200,000k in loans.

These kids will get over a stupid ceremony and a stupid grad trip. They're not (necessarily) enslaved in debt for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2020 2:37 AM

Glad to see some sane voices here r33. .

God help the sad bastards who think highschool is the peak of your life.

[Quote]were unpopular in high school and did not continue on to college

It is the people who didnt go to college who tend to glorify highschool.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2020 2:47 AM

[quote] Because of the quarantines, the downturn in the economy for at least a decade, loss of "normal life," and possibly marshal law imposed by the government, their not going to know any of the joys, that generations before them got to experience.

They're the ones who refuse to stay the hell home because it's too hard for them to keep their dumb asses entertained. Plus they don't give a shit that they could be carriers who transmit the infection to other people. This is pretty much their own damned faults

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2020 2:58 AM

[quote] Try graduating from law school in 2011. The 2008 recession hit firms hardest by then. No jobs to be found

Try NOT getting a graduation, AND not being able to find jobs.

At least in 2011, they had a ceremony and party.

In 2020, they get no prom, no graduation, no party (because all venues will be closed), and then NO JOB because the economy will be in the shitter for the next decade.

Even colleges might still be closed in the Fall, so that might be off the table, as well.

Seriously, these kids are getting the fucking shit end of the stick, all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2020 2:58 AM

I was the type who blossomed in college and didn't care for high school, but I do think the high school seniors are getting gypped if they don't get a graduation ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2020 3:21 AM

Even my 17-year-old, self-centered, graduating self would have preferred a non-prom and non-graduation ceremony vs. the possibility of a deadly pandemic spreading within the community...

It's all just pomp and circumstance anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2020 3:25 AM

These kids have had the most coddled, entitled lives of anyone on this planet. Literally everything brought to their fingertips.

A little dose of life fucking them over will serve them will. Zero shits given.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2020 3:28 AM

AND THEY ARE ON R40's LAWN!!!

GET OFF OF HIS LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2020 5:17 AM

Imagine all of the valedictorians and salutatorians who worked for 13 years, and got perfect grades in every single class, to achieve a 4.0 or higher GPA, get selected to speak at graduation, and then.... WHOOOSH!

The rug is pulled out from under them.

I would be devastated.

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2020 6:26 AM

R30, I hope that losing this year of school won't prevent kids from learning the difference between "marshal" and "martial".

We marshal our assets to pay our student loans.

We impose martial law to prevent riots in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2020 1:29 PM

Would anyone but a FRAU care about any of this?

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2020 1:46 PM

A lot of these people won’t even graduate. I need 4 more units to graduate. My classes are canceled now. This class I need won’t even be offered again til spring semester 2021.

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2020 2:03 PM

I can't imagine an adult gay man saying Prom was one of the most important nights of their life r44. I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2020 9:33 PM

R46, you and R44 really need to get out more.

Many gay people actually enjoyed high school, had lots of friends, and attended all of the fun school functions.

I understand that some didn't, but that's not EVERY gay person's experience.

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2020 9:54 PM

R47, what a loser you are to obsess about high school. I liked it, but I went to a great college, have a fantastic job that pays a small fortune and I've traveled all over the world. I never think of high school. I can tell you think of it a few times a day. And that's really, really pathetic

Unlike these kids, I knew how to pick a great major in college too

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2020 10:49 PM

The college experience is better than highschool in every way.

In most professional circles people will tell stories of their college or grad school days. No one gives much thought to highschool.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2020 10:53 PM

The prom is an important milestone in people’s lives. The most important 3 days of a person’s life is prom night, your wedding day, and the day your first child is born. To deny one of these fundamental foundations of life to these kids is to make them not whole.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] what a loser you are to obsess about high school. I liked it, but I went to a great college, have a fantastic job that pays a small fortune and I've traveled all over the world.

You know what's even more pathetic? Being an obnoxious blowhard braggart, telling everyone how WUUUUUNNNNDERFUL your stupid life is, when in actuality, nobody gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote] The prom is an important milestone in people’s lives. The most important 3 days of a person’s life is prom night, your wedding day, and the day your first child is born. To deny one of these fundamental foundations of life to these kids is to make them not whole.

Gee, R50, is that why I feel "not whole"? I never went to a prom or became a parent -- I did get married but that day wasn't anything special (nor was the marriage).

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2020 12:04 AM

Straight people, AKA Fraus and their husbands, are far more likely to believe that their lives peaked in high school. After that, their best days are behind them. It's also why whenever you see them 10 or 20 years after, they look like total shit.

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2020 6:36 AM

High school is two words, R49.

by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2020 7:18 AM

Most schools are going to finish the year through distance learning.

There will be no graduation.

Wah wah.

by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2020 4:47 PM

No one here gives a fuck if some frau and her cheating husband's snotty kids don't get to spend $1,000 to get high/drunk/lose their virginity on some stupid PROM that we all realize now was overrated.

As for fucking graduation, who the fuck really wants to go through all that?

They'll forget half of these people by 30, 3/4 by 40, almost all by death.

Go to your Pinterest boards with this frau bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 56March 21, 2020 5:30 AM

[quote] They'll forget half of these people by 21, 3/4 by 25, almost all by 30.

FTFY.

by Anonymousreply 57March 21, 2020 5:34 AM

[quote]But a lot of high school Seniors will be missing out on what should be the best year of their life.

Yeah show some sympathy

by Anonymousreply 58March 21, 2020 6:32 AM

Being able to bitch about it for years and years will make it worth it for them.

by Anonymousreply 59March 21, 2020 6:47 AM

They'll get over it.

by Anonymousreply 60March 21, 2020 7:03 AM

People won't be in much of a celebratory mood, when this is all over.

by Anonymousreply 61March 21, 2020 8:11 PM

My Mom was the Prom Queen. She never mentioned it. We found her trophy in a box in the attic when she passed away

My cousin was too. I've never heard her mention it in the past 30 years. None of my friends mention the prom

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2020 12:20 AM

R49 To be fair, I find the people who reminisce nonstop about their college days just as sad as people who obsess over high school.

If your life peaked at 22/23, what the fuck happened with the rest of your life???

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2020 6:21 AM

Here in Norway they lose their russ celebration, must suck for them.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2020 6:58 AM

It sucks. Even though in the '90s I skipped my senior prom (as did the captain of the baseball team, who made a big deal about how disappointed his mom was about it, and whom I was in love with).

I've fantasized about what we could have done instead of the prom ever since.

Unfortunately, Facebook tells me he's now married with two kids.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2020 7:06 AM

Wait, R65.

Are you saying that the captain of the baseball team was gay?

And you and he were having a fling??

Please share!

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2020 7:48 AM

R66

He made several moves, but I was too chicken to pick them up.

I'm still in love with you, E. I wish we could have spent Prom Night making out.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2020 7:55 AM

I have a feeling that most of these Seniors will never see each other again.

None of them will be going back to school for the rest of the year, so they've essentially graduated.

They're done. Finished.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2020 8:37 PM

In my state, the Department of Education announced that graduation ceremonies will not be held, and that graduation requirements will be waived for most seniors.

They're done.

by Anonymousreply 69April 3, 2020 5:30 PM

I suppose that I would actually be kind of happy if my Senior year ended in March.

However, college is kind of up in the air for these kids, because we don't even know if this pandemic and social distancing will be over by the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2020 6:36 PM

I feel bad for them, but I couldn't wait to get out of high school. Prom wasn't that exciting and graduation was a huge bore and I kept wishing they could just mail me my diploma.

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2020 8:01 PM

My Senior ass on the verge of flunking out would have loved this shit!!

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2020 2:13 AM

Exactly, R72.

The slackers are getting a free ride, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2020 3:18 AM

For high school graduates, attending college is still up in the air.

For college graduates, their job prospects are uncertain.

These kids are royally screwed.

by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2020 10:01 AM

It's official.

All they get are drive-thru ceremonies.

:o(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2020 11:16 PM

They charge them $100K a year and kick them in the ass on the way out the door.

It's time to burn all the colleges down!

Not my fav. prof, however. He will survive.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 1:43 AM

R72, would you be willing to have sex in exchange for a D?

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 1:44 AM

My poor niece is so bummed about her high school graduation.

She said so many of her classmates are sad and depressed, and they feel cheated.

They didn't have a prom, and they have a lame "drive-thru" graduation that will last about 15 minutes.

She can't even have a party, because of the lockdowns and restrictions.

Worst of all, she's worried about college in the Fall. As of right now, it's still up in the air, as to whether her school will even be holding classes on campus.

What a fucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2020 6:02 AM

It's got to suck, and I feel so bad for these kids.

The final semester of senior year of high school and college is what made all the bullshit and struggle worth it.

Particularly that state and national competitions - not just for athletics but speech, debate, drama, academics, science - all generally happen after March and had to be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2020 6:18 AM

Exactly, R79.

Everything ramps up from March through May, culminating in graduation.

This fucking virus hit at the worst possible time.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2020 6:23 AM

My nephew graduated on Saturday, and his school held a drive-thru graduation.

One of the school staff said that less than half of the senior class showed up.

They were angry that their senior year was ruined by coronovirus, and basically said "fuck it."

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2020 2:39 AM

Restrictions have been lifted where I live so we got to have a ceremony; but each person only got 4 tickets which made things with family awkward. I'll never get to have a senior prom experience but I'm not that mad about it. Mostly I'm just happy I get to move out soon.

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2020 3:40 AM

R82 did you have to wear masks and sit 6 feet apart?

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2020 9:41 AM

The grads in my town will have a drive in style graduation at a large town property in June. Parents are PISSED because their grads won’t be walking. We are in lockdown still so.. I think they need to calm down.

It’s sadder imho that the grads missed prom and the other year end events that are actually fun.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2020 10:48 AM

How strange that the last time these graduates saw each other was in March, and they'll never see each other again.

It was like, "Okay, school is cancelled. Everyone go home and quarantine." Out of nowhere.

Little did they know it would be the last time they would be together as a class.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2020 11:07 AM

R83 No masks, and we sat 6 feet apart. It was in a football stadium and the stands were roped off so everyone was sitting at least two rows away from each other I think.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2020 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!