Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hi. I'm a bat! You may have heard of me lately.

I'm potentially a source of a little virus currently spreading.

Here's the scoop - some people are saying the Chinese eat me and that's how the virus got off and running.

In fact if you cook, steam, bake or boil me, the virus will be eradicated.

And there is no one in China eating raw bats. Trust me on this one. It's not a thing.

What is more likely is that I roost in large barns and other buildings used to house livestock and thus contaminated chicken or pigs which were then consumed.

The point of infection is most likely from the preparation of the food, rather than through eating the food, which is cooked.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Squeek squeek.

by Anonymousreply 208April 3, 2020 5:10 PM

Racism, pure and simple. I blocked that asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2020 5:57 PM

Hi bat! You can have my stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2020 5:57 PM

I don't bother listening to people who say the virus started from someone eating a bat in China, because those people are usually the same ones that have been saying you should avoid getting Chinese takeout and frequenting places of business owned by Chinese people right now.

It's just racists using the pandemic as an excuse for their racism.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2020 5:59 PM

Bats were also the vector of HIV which started in Cameroon.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2020 8:11 PM

Bats also feel good when shoved up your ass.

Stick with the aluminum though, as you can get splinters from the wooden ones.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2020 8:14 PM

OP saw Contagion recently.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2020 8:27 PM

Actual Chinese scientists believe that the virus first infected a human in Hubei in November. Coronaviruses occur often in bats, Covid-19 samples in bats and humans are about 97% identical, it was the Chinese authorities that shut the wet market down. Yes, it's possible that bats passed the coronavirus onto another animal who then passed it onto humans. Whatever, we need to be a lot more careful.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2020 8:52 PM

I would starve before I ate a bat. They're like hamsters.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2020 8:54 PM

Batatouille

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2020 8:57 PM

I have eaten bat and survived!

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2020 8:59 PM

Does this sound reasonable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2020 9:06 PM

Thank you, bat, for clarifying that. Yes, I agree that the virus originated from bats through another species, not from humans eating bats, and I wish you well in dealing with your own virus-related issues.

However, I still think that Chinese talk show host tearfully apologizing for eating a bat on air was funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2020 9:22 PM

Hey Bat, our President has a bunch of your kin in his belfry. Is there hope?

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2020 9:30 PM

Say, bat, do you have a name? Looking for work? I need an emotional support animal and you sound like you'd be a lot of fun! Have you had your shots yet?

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Hi [R14]! Thank you for your kind offer. Although I am quite adorable, I would make a bad emotional support animal, as I am crepuscular in habit and when you wake up having a panic attack and need something fuzzy to cuddle I will be outside gobbling up various members of the nocturnal family of Lepidoptera and occasionally dispensing rabies to various canines.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2020 9:39 PM

[R13] Greetings! The last time there was a bat in a belfry that I was aware of, it did not go well for the Joker.

HTH.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2020 9:41 PM

Bats have always creeped me out. Rats with wings. Nasty, filthy creatures. No offense OP.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2020 9:46 PM

Are you related to Grandpa Munster?

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2020 9:48 PM

[R17] None taken! I am one of six animals that may invoke am instinctual response of fear in humans - can you guess the other five?

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Snake, clowns, trannies, Log Cabin Republicans, and shaped eyebrows?

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2020 9:50 PM

"that Chinese talk show host tearfully apologizing for eating a bat on air was funny as hell."

rink prease

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2020 10:07 PM

One of these is not like the others, R20. Only one is not trying to be something it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2020 10:28 PM

Dear Bat: I live near a large colony of your relatives here in the US. Have they been kind enough to gift us locals with some useful antibodies?

They say to tell you "squeak, squeak".

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2020 11:08 PM

The Chinese eat bats and you have to harvest them WHEN THEY’RE ALIVE AND INFECTED!

It would help if you didn't designate every, living creature suitable for consumption.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2020 11:29 PM

Do you represent a holiday?

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2020 11:35 PM

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying, R24. We eat what's available.

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2020 12:18 AM

R26 eats live bats.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2020 12:36 AM

Bat eating bitches started it all

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2020 12:43 AM

2030 US quarters depicting a bat. Oh, the irony!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2020 1:05 AM

I love you, bat.

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2020 1:08 AM

Viruses don't always die at high temperatures. Bacteria does but not viruses. It's why you can definitely get mad cow disease whether you order your steak medium or well done.

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2020 1:08 AM

I'd like to hear from your friend, the pangolin.

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2020 1:12 AM

I've always been fond of the animal kingdom, but, I don't care for reptiles or bats. Something that flies & has teeth? NO.

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2020 1:15 AM

Hi bat, my dad said you gave him rabies.

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2020 1:21 AM

Hi Bat, long time poster, first time questioner.

1) are you also a vampire

2) I do not mean to be rude, but why are you so gross, creepy and disgusting? 2a) Bats are foul but I appreciate your q & a.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2020 1:26 AM

I read that snakes, not bats, were the guilty party.

Bats are useful as they eat mosquitoes

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2020 1:31 AM

[R18] No! But we used to drink together at a little bar in Mandalay back in the day. Amusing chap, lots of stories to tell - the one about Lily, the garden hose and a bowling ball was a howler. Roving hands, though.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 37March 18, 2020 1:33 AM

r31, Mad Cow Disease is caused by a prion, not a virus.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2020 1:33 AM

I love to see bats at dusk because I know they're eating one of my mortal enemies, the mosquito, also a carrier for disease.

by Anonymousreply 39March 18, 2020 1:36 AM

[R24] and European people eat cow's brains, which also turned out not to be a good idea.

Point is, while I would be very happy if people did not eat me, I am edible, and people therefore occasionally do.

This is something the Chinese have been doing for centuries, by the way. They don't do it because, OMG, darling, have you heard, it's the latest thing.

Like snails and calamari and jellyfish and rocky mountain oysters.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 40March 18, 2020 1:37 AM

Batty, what is the difference in meaning between your double-e "squeek" and your orthographically correct squeak?

by Anonymousreply 41March 18, 2020 1:42 AM

It's a bitch typing into my I-phone with my autopod [R41].

Squeek, squeek

by Anonymousreply 42March 18, 2020 1:44 AM

Shitcubes, I did it again.

by Anonymousreply 43March 18, 2020 1:44 AM

Ever like to walk on the wild side, bat?

by Anonymousreply 44March 18, 2020 1:46 AM

Keep your four-fingered gloves to yourself, [R44].

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 45March 18, 2020 1:48 AM

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2020 1:50 AM

Scientists confirmed that CV came from Bats, yet you all keep denying it????

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote] Viruses don't always die at high temperatures. Bacteria does but not viruses. It's why you can definitely get mad cow disease whether you order your steak medium or well done

Mad Cow Disease isn't caused by bacteria, but instead by distorted proteins called prions, which bind onto other normal proteins and cause them to "deform" as well. They can survive in 400˚ temperatures.

by Anonymousreply 48March 18, 2020 2:04 AM

Again, its been confirmed that it came from Bats, morons.

by Anonymousreply 49March 18, 2020 2:08 AM

I never understood what the cows were so mad about.

by Anonymousreply 50March 18, 2020 2:08 AM

It wasn't from people who ate infected bats. They ate an infected pangolin—who had eaten bats.

by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2020 2:10 AM

It also came from people eating bats, which is done frequently in China. Cooking them doesn't mean all will die. Take science classes.

by Anonymousreply 52March 18, 2020 2:13 AM

In Wuhan, they sell both live and dead animals at the markets. It's likely the bat(s) infected chickens.

by Anonymousreply 53March 18, 2020 2:17 AM

R50, you’d be mad too, if people were eating your brains.

by Anonymousreply 54March 18, 2020 2:19 AM

I like bats. But I don't eat them. They's my favorites,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 18, 2020 2:19 AM

Also, have you all seen how some of the hunters kill the bats? By snapping their necks with their teeth....

by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2020 2:19 AM

Although the animals were brought together at the market, it still seems that cohabitation at a farm would allow a longer period for cross-contamination.

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2020 2:20 AM

[R55] I...was much younger then...

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2020 2:21 AM

Bat, no matter how hard you try to spin this, the whole world already knows that this tragedy was caused by the filthy, all-devouring, motherfucking Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2020 2:22 AM

OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2020 2:23 AM

exactly r59. They're so desperate to make this seem harmless and innocent.

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2020 2:23 AM

r60 that isn't cute. Its creepy and shouldn't be in a house

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2020 2:24 AM

[R60] How'd you find my OnlyFans?

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2020 2:24 AM

Bats spread Ebola from Central Africa (where it was contained) to Liberia and West Africa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2020 2:25 AM

What are the other animals that cause an instinctual fear response in humans?

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2020 2:28 AM

Bats carry many diseases and bacterias. There is no defending anyone eating them.

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2020 2:29 AM

This is really funny if you understand Philipino.lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2020 2:34 AM

Flying Fox! NSFW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2020 2:38 AM

[R35], No I am not a vampire - they live in the Americas in a range from Mexico to Brazil.

Taste is subjective, but the reason I am disgusting is the reason I provoke a fear response, is because mankind first met me when he decided to move out of the trees and into cave. Well, I was living there with a number of other creatures who also were not particularly happy about the newcomers. One, the wolf, decided to make a go of it and allowed himself to be domesticated. Another, the cat, was more ambivalent, but gradually grew to develop a symbiotic relationship. Myself and our other chums - the spider, the rat and the snake - were less interested.

Bats are scary because we are dangerous to live with. Our guano is poisonous; we are havens of bacteria and viruses; we can swarm violently if startled; we can, and do bite; the vampire members of our family feed on blood; and basically we look like Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of all Calamities somehow got it off with lab rat. Like snakes (venomous), spiders (ditto and potentially more so millions of years ago), rats (disease carriers and spoilers of food) we are four out of six animals that provoke what may be a genetic-level feeling of dread.

The other two, in case you were wondering, are the dog and the cat when encountered in their original format as the wolf and the panther. And if you don't think those animals are scary, you have never heard them hunting you at night.

Which is why bats, spiders, cats, wolves and snakes all turn up as Halloween animals. Rats, not so much, they're just too fucking gross.

However - I would remind you - we all lived in those caves first. No one invited your useless ass indoors.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2020 2:39 AM

Tall dark and handsome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2020 2:40 AM

Harpie Owl says Hello Hoot Hoot!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2020 2:45 AM

R69 (aka Squeaky the Smart Bat) you’re simultaneously great, but I can’t shake the impetus to knock you into next week with a tennis racket.

Evolution. What are you gonna do?

Q: Are you also Batman?

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2020 2:45 AM

Have you considered dating an older woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2020 2:50 AM

What did the bat get it from?? Fleas? Other insects?

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2020 2:54 AM

Impulse not impetus!

Sorry, Sir Squeaky.

R72

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2020 3:03 AM

I'm a pangolin. You've never heard of me. I'm the most poached species of animal in the world. And I may have played a bigger part in this pandemic than any bats or reptiles.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2020 3:06 AM

What the OP's not telling you: he caught the Corona virus after being ploughed in the ass by a mosquito.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2020 3:06 AM

The virus in the movie Contagion came from a small bit of bat poop falling into a trough where a pig ate it. The pig was served like any other piece of pork you'd eat in Asia or anywhere else in the world. That's how the virus is transmitted from bats.

That video @ r11 does a good job describing the conditions the animals are kept in at the markets, cages on on top of the other. That is not unique to China, you can bet your chicken was in a cage just like that at some point. Its just that the Chinese have exotic animals too close to each other.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2020 3:29 AM

[quote]The virus in the movie Contagion came from a small bit of bat poop falling into a trough where a pig ate it. The pig was served like any other piece of pork you'd eat in Asia or anywhere else in the world. That's how the virus is transmitted from bats.

That was not what happened at all. Did you even watch the movie? There was no bat poop. Goop never ate pork.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2020 3:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2020 3:45 AM

Actually, in Contagion, the infection came from the chef not cleaning his hands after examining the pig carcass before dressing it. He just wiped them on his apron and then shook hands with Goop's character. It also looked like he may have cut himself on the pig's tooth.

I think the implication is that the cooked meat would have been safe to eat - it was the uncooked flesh that was dangerous. Otherwise there would have immediately been a more widespread outbreak involving all those who tasted the dish when brought to table. Which would have been a fair number of people, unless Mr. Creosote happened to be dining alone.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2020 3:51 AM

Hi Bat, I think you've been quite delightful tonight. Do you feel like your portrayal in those Batman movies as dark and moody is some sort of racial slur?

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2020 3:54 AM

[R82] Most of the time I am a happy little bat, flitting around, eating bugs and occasionally upending the global economy when least expected. But sometimes I just need to strap on a rubber suit, slide into a fucked-up Lincoln Continental, gun it to Gotham and get my freak on.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2020 4:04 AM

[R82]

Um - squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2020 4:07 AM

I strongly believe that the virus is a bioweapon created by another country and spread it in China to destroy the country

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2020 4:10 AM

You are mistaken, comrade! Vot horrid place vould ever do such a tink?

Get moose und squverell!

Und bat!

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2020 4:12 AM

R85 china is the perfect place to start it with their past diseases... Is Putin that savvy to have pulled this off and kill older americans in big blue cities before an election?

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2020 5:24 AM

Yes - why are there no cases reported in Russia except in one central Asian city? Or, why isn’t the news at least saying that Russia’s numbers are BS?

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2020 5:38 AM

"I strongly believe that the virus is a bioweapon created by another country and spread it in China to destroy the country "

Well *I* strongly believe that the virus was created at the Amazon.com labs, and was intended to drive all the brick-and-mortar retailers in the world out of business!

So, everybody, whose theory makes more sense? Mine, or R85s?

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2020 6:00 AM

I believe there is an article just posted as a link on a another thread which strongly states that the virus is organic in origin.

And that's all for tonight folks! I'll be out eating bugs until tomorrow evening. Hope to squeak with you then!

Flap, flap, flap out the window

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote] Scientists confirmed that CV came from Bats, yet you all keep denying it????

Here’s another take on an article that suggests otherwise:

Am open to all possibilities of origin: we’re still in the early learning phases of Covid-19.

However, I have a personal experience which makes me look at many possibilities.

In the mid 80s, my med school advisor was an virologist/epidemiologist who primarily worked at the CDC. (We were at Emory University). The majority of his patients had HIV/AIDs and were surprisingly diverse (men/women and children; 25% from abroad given his experience and the tertiary-care setting). He was - and is - is a wonderful researcher and clinician.

We were originally taught that HIV originated from monkeys in Africa.

Years after graduating, and before I left for a remote position abroad, I visited him in his now position as Dean of a med school. During a meal when the wine was freely flowing, he suggested that there was more than just “rumour” to the fact that HIV had been “engineered”.

I won’t go into the details, but suffice it to say; the conversation opened into worlds of work in genetic “research” that has been occurring quietly for the last 50 years. I was shocked....given that I believed myself to have a professional “glimpse” into this field.

There is work occurring away from the public, medical professionals, and some governments.

It is on a “need-to-know” basis only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2020 6:56 AM

Hi OP, are you one of these cute, puppy-like bats?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2020 12:02 PM

Hi bat! I love that you're a cinephile -- or, at least, that you know the movie "Contagion."

Q: Do you watch movies while hanging upside down, perched upright or reclined on a pillow?

Btw, I picture you like the top-hat-wearing animated bat in this Looney Tunes cartoon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2020 12:30 PM

I don't trust you Bat you sound like a Chinese spy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2020 12:36 PM

Fun fact: male bats exhibit the highest rate of homosexuality among mammals!

OP, is this you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2020 2:15 PM

Pangolin smuggling is big in Myanmar. This is probably where the virus originated.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2020 2:19 PM

r65 Snakes, Spiders, mice, cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2020 2:38 PM

R91, that article sounds like a stream of consciousness of bat crap.

The two anonymous tin hat authors haven't even done any research on the virus itself. They're just picking and choosing what has been written, interpreting it in whatever they want, and then adding some more of their own crap to create their ridiculous conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2020 3:17 PM

But Batty r81, a bat did shit on the pig's feed, and the rest did happen.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2020 3:53 PM

I think the pig ate the bat’s crap. Then the rest happened. This is why I don’t believe in species mixing. I don’t mix wool and cotton, nor milk and meat. I’m very tedious.

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2020 4:11 PM

You bats are kinda cute but you might want to stop with the rabies.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2020 4:14 PM

R88 Russia is basically a third world shithole, I doubt their reporting would be reliable. Also, I wouldn't trust Putin to tell the truth about anything.

One other reason why Russia has fewer cases is because no one wants to travel there because it is a shithole filled with people that hate outsiders.

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Bat?

BAT????

Did you succumb to your own virus?

Alas.

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2020 12:14 PM

Bat! Come back!

Tell us how your Chinese relatives really feel about being forced to share quarters with germ-spreading pigs and fowls, instead of having a nice cave of their own!

by Anonymousreply 104March 19, 2020 3:28 PM

END OF DAYS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 21, 2020 3:04 PM

If there’s such a thing as a bat scat troll, I want to be it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 21, 2020 3:21 PM

Are you a Christmas Bat?

Because if not, I don't have time for you right now.

by Anonymousreply 107March 21, 2020 3:34 PM

Bat is a troll. No really. He lives under a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 108March 21, 2020 3:40 PM

[R34] Nothing compared to what that knobhead gave me. I was picking those crabs out of my crotch for a year.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 109March 22, 2020 12:34 AM

[R2] Thanks!

Just throw it in my cave.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 110March 22, 2020 12:35 AM

I need protection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 22, 2020 12:36 AM

[R23] Good question - and one that I cannot answer. However I would be inclined to think not in this case. We bats are members of the great dynasty of Chiroptera, and after rodents we are the second most diverse class of mammal life. There are over 1,200 classified species of us, so I am unsure how well information collected from the North American populations would aid in understanding viral and other related issues in bats in China. But, as I said, I am not a zoologist - the closest I got to a Yale degree was shitting in Harkness Tower - so would defer to their opinion.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 112March 22, 2020 12:42 AM

You’ve been (partially) exonerated! Blame the pangolins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 22, 2020 12:46 AM

If it turns out I cause the pandemic, then sorry not sorry. You fuckers are wiping out my species, if we take a few humans with us on our way out it'll serve you right.

So you can appoint me the Datalounge's official Yom Kippur Pangolin, and think of us when you're repenting your sins.

by Anonymousreply 114March 22, 2020 1:28 AM

Bat! You're alive!

I feel relieved.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 115March 22, 2020 11:50 AM

Pangolins are very fascinating creatures: they're surprisingly close to Carnivores (apologies to Mr Bat).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 22, 2020 11:55 AM

FYI it’s not the cooked bushmeat that’s infectious. People are exposed to crossover viruses when cleaning and preparing the bat carcass for cooking.

by Anonymousreply 117March 22, 2020 12:23 PM

My friend keeps on insisting it's a bat/mongoose situation from some podcast he heard from a guy who studies bats, diseases, etc, who went to the batcaves in Wuhan (when I don't know). I told him that I haven't heard of it coming from a mongoose anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 118March 23, 2020 1:25 AM

[R104] Bat populations can be problematic in American barns as well. The reason there is less US cross-cohabitation is that there are fewer farms overall in the regions I habitate and modern barns are screened at the eaves.

Also, in some places, caves can be used as small livestock pens. This was once common in some regions of Turkey, but I am not sure how widespread it still is.

My favorite tale in the US was of a grand Victorian mansion in the Hudson River Valley that turned out to have 200,000 of my cousins living in the attic. They took out two tons of guano. Evidently the current owners had no idea why the locals avoided the place until they happened to return to their new restoration project at dusk and saw a vast cloud of bats emerging from the tower, Scooby-Doo Opening Credits-style. They just about shat themselves. Not sure if that was added to the tonnage of the guano.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 119March 23, 2020 1:37 AM

[r93] I watch films while hanging, as you say, upside-down. To me, there is no upside-down; my center of flight gravity and blood system balances everything out so up and down are simply relative terms.

For this reason, although I love films, "The Poseidon Adventure" made no fucking sense.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 120March 23, 2020 1:49 AM

I grew up in a house that had a bricked-up fireplace on the first floor, with a trapdoor for the ash to fall into the basement. In the basement, there was a metal door that opened into the area with the ash-pile. We were always getting weird animals in the house, bats in particular.

50 years after I moved out of that house, I went back and the then-current owner told me he sealed the basement metal door to the bottom of the chimney, as he was getting bats. Then I realized that an unused chimney would be perfect for bats to hangout in, since it’s an artificial cave.

by Anonymousreply 121March 23, 2020 3:36 AM

These are my bat neighbors. A colony of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats lives under a local section of elevated freeway that goes over a wetlands preserve, and on summer evenings you can see a mile-long stream of bats coming out for an evening of fun and mosquitos.

Which makes them, IMHO, exemplary neighbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 23, 2020 3:48 AM

Bat, you are a GEM.

by Anonymousreply 123March 23, 2020 1:03 PM

gross bat @ R119.

You are extremely well read for a squeaky, blood-sucking accursed beast. For that I give you a gold squeak-squeak.

by Anonymousreply 124March 23, 2020 2:46 PM

Hi bat! I’m not Chinese. How do you taste?

by Anonymousreply 125March 23, 2020 7:44 PM

[R125] Well, I actually taste pretty go--I TASTE TERRIBLE.

FUCKING AWFUL.

LIKE SHIT

SHIT, I TELL YOU, SHIT!!

SQUEAK SQUEAK!

by Anonymousreply 126March 23, 2020 8:10 PM

Methinks the lady squeaketh too much.

by Anonymousreply 127March 23, 2020 10:03 PM

[R28] I do not believe that I, personally, have ever eaten a bitch.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 128March 24, 2020 6:18 AM

Hi Bat! Have you ever met Socrates or Plato? They had this discussion of a Cave once, you might like it.

by Anonymousreply 129March 25, 2020 5:30 AM

I did indeed, [R129]. Interesting gents, though not a patch on Grandpa Muster. I'll tell you this much, Socrates tended to win most things with Plato - the argument for universal values of morality, the concept of the elenchus method, Boggle - but his attempt to invent the corpse reviver was a failure. Should have stuck with perfect Manhattans.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 130March 25, 2020 5:46 AM

Hi bat! Do you have a robin? How do you hang together? What else do you guys do?

by Anonymousreply 131March 25, 2020 6:44 AM

Bat,

You are very erudite. Where did you receive your formal education?

by Anonymousreply 132March 25, 2020 8:14 AM

[R132] Vassar, then Princeton.

Of course, it was just a migratory flight pattern assisted by the intricacies of Gothic architecture.

But one does tend to pick things up.

Let me tell you, in a fight between the Vassar College Croquet Club and the Princeton Tigers Rowing Team, my money is on the VCCC.

Those bitches are Heather Chandler-levels of mean.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 133March 25, 2020 8:19 AM

Bat, what do you think of spelunkers, cavers, and other humans who waste their time in caves?

by Anonymousreply 134March 25, 2020 8:51 AM

Vampires started this pestilence?

by Anonymousreply 135March 25, 2020 8:57 AM

Are we related, OP?

by Anonymousreply 136March 25, 2020 9:06 AM

Have you been in the legitimate theatre?

by Anonymousreply 137March 25, 2020 11:52 AM

[R134] I have deep respect for archaeologists and other academics who explore caves - and I understand, overall, the human impulse to explore them - after all, after the forest, the cave is your original home.

And, as Dorothy Gale, from Kansas, once observed, we all want to go home.

Furthermore, caves can be extraordinarily beautiful places. Several of them in the US are National Monuments and repay a visit with some of the most spectacular natural features in the world, well on a par with the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls.

But I am concerned by people who explore caves in different continents. Although this is not widely known, the US bat population - along with other cave-based ecosystems in the Americas - has been recently imperiled by an infection spread from spelunkers in Europe exploring American caves. Bat populations in the Northeast are collapsing and there is no indication that there is anyway to stop its spread.

Sometimes it seems that I kill you. But you are also killing me.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2020 6:21 AM

[R136] No.

But I like that on your tombstone, it reads "endowed".

Squeak, squeak.

Wink, wink.

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2020 6:23 AM

[R73] I would date her to about 1930 or so, based on the hairstyle and shoes.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2020 6:31 AM

My cat brought a bat inside my house once. I knew something was up and went to explore. I found this tiny thing on the carpet making an electric/buzzing type sound I can’t quite explain. The sound seemed “alive”. I shooed Sammy Sue away and looked at the bat for a moment because I knew I’d probably never have the opportunity again. It was cute and fuzzy and textured and boney and helpless. I found two oven mitts and gently picked it up. It didn’t fight or bite. I put it outside off the ground and the next morning it was gone.

by Anonymousreply 141March 26, 2020 6:41 AM

Pussy.

by Anonymousreply 142March 26, 2020 4:46 PM

Hello Mr. Bat,

Here is a 5 Oz. US Mint quarter-dollar that has been issued in your honor. A regular quarter is shown for perspective. Silver prices are soaring, too. Is that your doing?

Note that the bat is depicted upside down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 26, 2020 7:47 PM

In traditional Chinese culture, the bat was considered to be a symbol of good fortune, so you'll see bat symbols in traditional art and pottery.

How's that working out for you, China?

by Anonymousreply 144March 26, 2020 8:08 PM

Why is a bat on a coin? No offense Mr. Bat.

by Anonymousreply 145March 26, 2020 8:38 PM

Are we entirely sure it's a Mr. Bat and not a Ms. Bat?

(Apologies if I missed any obvious clues in your previous posts, Bat. You're still a gem, regardless of which way you swing.)

by Anonymousreply 146March 26, 2020 9:10 PM

What the hell are you nattering on about, R1?

by Anonymousreply 147March 26, 2020 9:14 PM

Bat mitzvah?

by Anonymousreply 148March 26, 2020 11:15 PM

R146 true, we cannot be sure. Bat is from Vassar after all where it is all very confusing.

by Anonymousreply 149March 26, 2020 11:22 PM

My personal pronoun is OH GOD GET THE TENNIS RACKET.

Evidently.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 150March 26, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote] R145: Why is a bat on a coin? No offense Mr. Bat.

There is a coin series recognizing the National Parks. The Somoan National Park is apparently known for its bats. There was Puerto Rico and its El Yunque NP; Minuteman NP in Lexington, Massachusetts; etc. Can any Somoans here confirm about your lovely bats?

by Anonymousreply 151March 27, 2020 2:04 AM

Are you a tranny bat?

by Anonymousreply 152March 27, 2020 2:13 AM

No, [R152] I'm a canny bat.

BTW, whatever you do, do not Google image-search "tranny bat". There's already a bleach shortage as it is.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 153March 27, 2020 2:19 AM

I tried to find drag queens in bat costumes, but instead I found this.

Mae West dressed as a bat.

No, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 27, 2020 2:22 AM

That's actually Howard Hughes' follow-up design to the Spruce Goose, the Amazing Flying Bazoomba.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 155March 27, 2020 2:27 AM

This thread is so twee and precious it's nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 156March 27, 2020 3:38 AM

The thread "Hi! I'm a fiddleback spider living in your shoe" is two doors down.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 157March 27, 2020 3:43 AM

Another thread started by a desperate attention whore who thinks she's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 158March 27, 2020 3:55 AM

Go away, R158. We’re enjoying the bat.

by Anonymousreply 159March 27, 2020 3:57 AM

What r159 said.

Careful, r159, or I'll call the District Battorney.

by Anonymousreply 160March 27, 2020 11:36 AM

I continue to delight in the Bat.

So, Bat, what's on deck for the weekend?

by Anonymousreply 161March 27, 2020 12:29 PM

R158 She/he is hilarious. Please go piss on yourself, not here.

by Anonymousreply 162March 27, 2020 7:11 PM

[R161] Nothing, they haven't put the patio furniture out yet.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 163March 27, 2020 7:15 PM

This is what passes for humor on DL now.

by Anonymousreply 164March 27, 2020 7:32 PM

I'm not sure which is worse. This thread or the corona virus?

by Anonymousreply 165March 27, 2020 7:53 PM

oops I meant r158 to be careful in my post at r160.

My batteries must be low.

by Anonymousreply 166March 27, 2020 8:28 PM

But so cute. How could a twink bat like this be dangerous. Twinks don't bite do they? I thought they just sucked you dry or money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 27, 2020 8:43 PM

The Bat tells dad jokes -- who knew? Thanks, Bat!

by Anonymousreply 168March 27, 2020 8:47 PM

Hey, Bat, are you a rabies carrier?

by Anonymousreply 169March 27, 2020 9:00 PM

It is in fact unlikely, [R169]. Despite common misconception, bats are not asymptomatic carriers of the disease. In reality, we contract rabies far less than other animals. Less than 1/2 of 1% of all bats may contract the disease. A variety of wild animals (rabies vector species) is more likely to catch rabies, including foxes, skunks, raccoons, coyotes and bats. Cats and dogs and even livestock can also contract and pass on rabies. There are between 0-2 deaths a year in the US attributed to bat rabies. 30,000 people die of it worldwide - but the vast majority of that number are people who have come in contact with or been bitten by a rabid dog. Due to vaccinations, rabid dog cases are very rare in the US.

Incidentally, you cannot catch rabies from me shitting or pissing on your head, so Amanda in Teaneck, when you're sitting by the swimming pool at night with your third highball in your hand and I fly by, chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 170March 27, 2020 10:55 PM

Hi Bat,

Do you ever fly internationally? If so, which are your favorite tourist spots?

by Anonymousreply 171March 27, 2020 11:33 PM

Are you worried Covid 19 will cross with rabies and make everyone zombies?

by Anonymousreply 172March 27, 2020 11:50 PM

Why do the Chinese eat such disease-infested vermin such as yourself?

by Anonymousreply 173March 28, 2020 12:25 AM

[R172] Having watched the President's press conferences, I would say that God and Nature beat them to it.

by Anonymousreply 174March 29, 2020 6:31 AM

Rabies is also called hydrophobia. I understand that “Ol’ Yeller” used the word hydrophobia and some people didn’t know that it’s the same as rabies.

by Anonymousreply 175March 29, 2020 7:03 AM

Actually, hydrophobia id a symptom of rabies, not a synonym for it.

by Anonymousreply 176March 29, 2020 9:23 AM

Hi bat. What do you think of Lucy in MAME? And what are you going to do about the damn pangolins trying to take credit for the current situation?

by Anonymousreply 177March 29, 2020 9:55 AM

No?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 29, 2020 10:33 AM

Tasteful Friends, what say you about my bat cave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 29, 2020 10:33 AM

The bat cave is beautiful. That poor, poor, bat above it should be alive and hanging out in the cave.

by Anonymousreply 180March 29, 2020 3:40 PM

Hi bat! Everyone says they’ve been driven batty during these lockdowns. Is batty a pejorative term to you?

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2020 4:39 AM

[R173] An interesting if loaded question. I'm not a sociologist (of course), but I tend to think the scale of population dictated the use of all and any available foodstuffs. Some of the odder things are indeed delicacies, but they simply reflect that an aristocratic class tends to become jaded and seek new sensations - and China, the oldest continuous and most populated civilization has a huge market for culinary art of a sort that reflects this.

I would point out that Europeans could match the Chinese in animal cruelty - witness the dish known as the ortolan or the great feasts of the Roman period, when thrush's hearts were featured and an Emperor had to outlaw the eating of dormice. Also the Chinese cruelty toward animals seems to happen in the kitchen - there is no Chinese historic equivalent to the animal massacres that were a daily spectacle at the Circus Maximus or the barbaric French carnivals where cats were burned alive for sport.

In China, there is a groundswell of support for animals through the younger more Westernized generations, who have become aware of dogs and cats as companions and have made moves away from more extreme dishes such as shark-fin soup. Whether this crisis marks a cultural and governmental turning point is anyone's guess, although I sincerely hope it does.

In other news #Doyouwantapieceofmeasshole is trending in the pangolin Twitter community.

Squeak, squeak

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2020 4:53 AM

Squeaking of which, I have tried pangolin but not bat. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2020 4:56 AM

[quote]I would point out that Europeans could match the Chinese in animal cruelty - witness the dish known as the ortolan or the great feasts of the Roman period, when thrush's hearts were featured and an Emperor had to outlaw the eating of dormice. Also the Chinese cruelty toward animals seems to happen in the kitchen - there is no Chinese historic equivalent to the animal massacres that were a daily spectacle at the Circus Maximus or the barbaric French carnivals where cats were burned alive for sport.

Funny you have to reach back many centuries to compare what's happening in China in the 21st century. Last time I checked, European societies find animal torture to be horrific and it's against the law.

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2020 5:09 AM

Are the Chinese torturing animals?

They are eating them - but I'm not sure they are torturing them. If they're torturing them then so are veal farmers worldwide.

And the ortolan was outlawed in France (wink wink!) only a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 185March 30, 2020 5:11 AM

Yes, they skin them alive, boil them alive etc. There are many videos of the wet markets on Youtube that have been shared in recent weeks, I won't link to any but I warn you if you're curious you should watch at your own peril. I wish I hadn't seen them.

by Anonymousreply 186March 30, 2020 5:16 AM

The ortolan was only consumed by a very small minority of French, most of the population thought it was animal cruelty and it was banned. Ortolans weren't being sold in markets to millions of French throughout the country.

by Anonymousreply 187March 30, 2020 5:17 AM

Mr. Bat, I think you have some spiders in your cave.

by Anonymousreply 188March 30, 2020 5:35 AM

Guano troll alert!

by Anonymousreply 189March 30, 2020 5:35 AM

The Chinese fondness for exotic meats and horrific ways to eat them doesn’t hold a candle to the industrialized horror and cruelty of the meat industry. Try reading Orville Schell’s “Meat” and you’ll never look at the meat on your plate the same way again.

by Anonymousreply 190March 30, 2020 5:58 AM

Is your wife a crazy batalac?

by Anonymousreply 191March 30, 2020 11:59 AM

I tried to watch some of the videos on YouTube about how the Chinese treat the animals. I couldn’t. FAIR WARNING: don’t watch. It is heart breaking. What is wrong with these people. Are all of them like this? It’s scary to think that so many of them are actually in USA. Do you think they do the same here?

by Anonymousreply 192March 30, 2020 12:27 PM

In the 19th century there was a huge guano industry. The stuff was used as fertilizer in agriculture and also used as an ingredient in ammunition. Ships would set sail to obscure islands in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans where seabirds congregated, and the guano was shoveled by the ton into the holds of ships. I can't imagine the horrible stench being a seaman on a ship like that, but then again the whaling ships probably smelled even worse. I wonder how many little epidemics there were in the maritime industry from bird viruses.

by Anonymousreply 193March 30, 2020 12:52 PM

Bat, what are your thoughts on this infected Belgian cat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2020 1:53 PM

Belgian cat is an attention whore. She also has fibromyalgia and Lupus. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 195March 30, 2020 4:23 PM

Belgian cat is an attention whore. She also has fibromyalgia and Lupus. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 196March 30, 2020 4:23 PM

She looks pissed off.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 197March 30, 2020 4:28 PM

Hi bat, what’s your dietary regime?

Tropical fruits, animal blood, fish and insects... sushi, Thai food?

by Anonymousreply 198March 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Hello Mr. Bat. How often do you receive your rabies shots?

by Anonymousreply 199March 30, 2020 9:31 PM

Every time someone with a gun thinks I'm rabid, [R199]

Missed me, motherfuckers.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 200March 30, 2020 9:58 PM

Between bubonic plague, hantavirus and coronavirus the Chinese have a knack for inadvertently starting deadly outbreaks. Battie what do you think of China reopening the wet markets so soon after this one? Will you be back the next time a virulent disease is born from that festering orgy of humanity to tell us how the West is really the same and we can't judge the poor incompetent Chinese?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 31, 2020 7:12 PM

Bat, what do you think of tennis as a spectator sport?

by Anonymousreply 202March 31, 2020 11:56 PM

Every time I've seen a tennis racket I have not been in a position to observe it as a spectator.

Squeak, squeak.

by Anonymousreply 203April 1, 2020 12:30 AM

Got a bat visiting on a break from teaching at William & Mary.

You’ve asked his expertise about the deal the ancient sea maids made with humanity, warning that most precious thing that we’ll fight to save—fate of the waves with blue satin crashing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 1, 2020 12:59 AM

Hi, bat. Pardon the pun but which team do you bat for? Are you one of us or are you one of them heteros?

by Anonymousreply 205April 3, 2020 4:35 PM

Hello, bat. Is Batty Koda of Ferngully really a fruit bat, or is he a chaotic bisexual? I figure all you bats know each other.

by Anonymousreply 206April 3, 2020 4:52 PM

Bats are filthy disease-infested vermin that shouldn't even be TOUCHED, never mind eaten. WTF is wrong with the Chinese for eating these disease bombs?

by Anonymousreply 207April 3, 2020 5:05 PM

R15 why can’t you just say moths?

Fart! Fart!

by Anonymousreply 208April 3, 2020 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!