Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Metropolitan Opera: Nightly Live HD Encore Stream Free (March 16-22; 7:30 PM EST)

Met Opera is hosting their Metropolitan Nightly Opera Live HD Encore Streaming Presentation for free starting March 16 at 7:30PM EST and will remain available to stream via the homepage for 20 hours.

Monday, March 16 – Bizet's Carmen

Tuesday, March 17 – Puccini's La Bohème

Wednesday, March 18 – Verdi's Il Trovatore

Thursday, March 19 – Verdi's La Traviata

Friday, March 20 – Donizetti's La Fille du Régiment

Saturday, March 21 – Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor

Sunday, March 22 – Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2020 5:11 PM

Wow - that's amazing. I saw recently saw Porgy and Bess and Madame Butterfly in the theater, so this is pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2020 4:30 PM

i'm really enjoying this / thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 2March 20, 2020 1:33 PM

If you can get a free trial to the site, do it. I recommend:

Don Giovanni: Gigolo (and his bitchy servant) gets his comeuppance. With Kwiecen, Pisaroni, and Kocan who all sound great. This was the first serious opera I watched as newcomer.

Rigoletto: Las Vegas comedian in the 1960s tries to protect his daughter from sleazeballs. This has really cool costumes, neon production design, and some pole dancing. I think this was controversial to old critics since it so different from typical stagings, but it seemed to work.

by Anonymousreply 3March 20, 2020 3:07 PM

do they charge monthly for access to archival / hd offerings? and rotate titles? thanks in advance

by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2020 3:10 PM

OP, the following week is ALL Wagner (the Ring, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2020 3:19 PM

Elina Garanca's Carmen is amazing, from the clips that I've seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2020 3:22 PM

R6 I put it on Monday night, thinking I would just listen to the music as I did other things (I've seen Carmen many, many times), but I ended up glued to the tv. She was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2020 4:50 AM

OP here; glad everyone is enjoying this! Yes, some very unique adaptations of the classics. This weekend includes:

Saturday, March 21:

Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor, starring Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczała, and Mariusz Kwiecien, conducted by Marco Armiliato.

Sunday, March 22:

Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin, starring Renée Fleming, Ramón Vargas, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky, conducted by Valery Gergiev.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2020 3:50 PM

Hey, the free trial is for a week and you get access to all old videos and audio they have dating back to the 1940s. After that it is about $14 a month. I haven't run out of things to watch and they have good reference materials.

I also recommend: The Magic Flute- condensed family friendly version of a prince, princess, and lonely bird man/hunter going through a masonry influenced set of trials. *Die Zauberflote is the German language version that is longer and a little more serious in tone. Either way, it's fun, with incredible music. The worst thing I've heard about the full version is that it is a little confusing, but should be fine for a newbie.

-You may enjoy looking up alternate versions of these from other countries, too.

-Reading the synopsis beforehand is really helpful, they don't feel like spoilers since each company's execution and variation are very different. A great funny opera may be performed by people who are just not very funny. Or the leads may not have any romantic chemistry at all, which is not uncommon.

-The Marriage of Figaro is a lot of bullshit servants running around and the music is overhyped.

-R3

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 2:17 AM

thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 3:09 AM

There's still another week of free streams ahead. Tonight (through tomorrow 6:30 pm EST) is Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg.

Sunday, 3/29: Wagner's Tannhauser

Monday, 3/30: Poulenc's Diaglogues des Carmelites

Tuesday, 3/31: Rossinni's Il Barbieri di Siviglia

Wedesday, 4/1: Adam's Nixon in China

Thursday, 4/2: Verdi's Don Carlo

Friday, April 3: Les Pecheurs de Perles

Saturday, April 4: Verdi's MacBeth

Sunday, April 5: Bellini's Norma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 5:29 AM

Maestro Levine... any update on him?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 11:41 PM

Die! Fliddermaus! Die!

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 2:04 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Levine victims sue the Met and settle. The Met admitted there were credible claims going back at least 25 YEARS.

That could drive out the current administration/executives. More abuse firings and "retirements" to come, I'm sure, in cities like Boston and Philadelphia. No way he's the only one.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] Maestro Levine... any update on him?

Yes, he screamed "MARY!" when he heard you referred to him as "Maestro Levine" on an Internet forum.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2020 2:17 AM

The Met is on shaky financial ground. I don't know if it could handle a wave of lawsuits. I doubt that Levine will be heard from again, R12. He seemed quite ill when the Met fired him; he really wasn't in any position to conduct anymore. He and the Met settled his lawsuit, although the terms have never been leaked.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2020 2:29 AM

The Ring Cycle just about did me in.

It was great - but man, that motherfucker is long.

I wondered if you could put that set on Spin Cycle - and cut out about 4 hours.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2020 4:40 AM

Deborah Voight was great, and I remember Siegfried's Jay Hunter Morris from when he was in "Master Class" on Broadway with Zoe Caldwell (but Audra McDonald was out and her understudy was great). Morris was a last minute replacement for the broadcast and did a great job in one of the most difficult roles in opera. Plus, he was very cute!

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2020 5:21 AM

Every time the camera would catch Levine ... did anybody else shudder?

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2020 5:42 AM

I'd hardly look up from my score in the orchestra when he was conducting --- now Armiliato, he was kind of a dish

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2020 1:15 AM

Or you could just cut to the chase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2020 1:19 AM

Matthew Polenzani / Pearl tenor

those tattoos ?? not fake/ but real?

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2020 7:50 AM

So this was announced for students and educators, a weekly broadcast 5PM EST on Wednesdays with discussions afterwards and available for 24 hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2020 10:07 AM

^^^ Should be 48 hours!

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2020 10:29 AM

Billy Budd on an unlisted channel. Great for those who want a relatively modern opera in English. No subtitles, but watch it before it disappears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2020 7:11 PM

The nightly streams are continuing from the MET. Hope everyone's enjoying them. Tonight is La Traviata.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2020 7:18 PM

Tomorrow (Saturday, April 25)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2020 7:24 PM

Listening to La Traviata now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2020 1:20 PM

I can't believe any DLers would actually tune into this Netrebko et. al. garbage. Watching the destruction of Western Opera in recent decades is one of the most depressing things I've had to experience.

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2020 1:27 PM

Is Netrebko playing Violetta, r29? She's a FOP. I got rid of my Netrebko CDs. Also that Russian conductor.

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2020 1:34 PM

I'm think I'm with R29. I love the music but I spend the first act getting used to the awful singing I'm going to have to put up with for the rest of the night. There is nothing a like a live performance for showing you all the skill the composer and librettist have poured into the work, so I guess I'm going to continue getting passed the singing!

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2020 1:41 PM

You can comment along over at Parterre Box, if you are a hyper-knowledgable opera queen or enjoy basking in their glow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2020 4:46 PM

In another year or two they will be presenting Ed Sheeran as Siegfried.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2020 4:56 PM

I liked Hvorostovsky, but I love "Di Provenza" no matter who sings it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2020 5:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!