Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oh Taxidermist, Are you there honey? I'm in pain.

Years ago, my parents overseas transferred me 62K for house down payment, but in 2019, since I still have not decided on a house yet, I made a foreign transfer back home because my mom fell and could use some money for her treatment. Of course, like a dumb whore, I realize just now that it will be seen as a gift by the IRS and I will have to file form 709. Today, I called the IRS helpline. The guy said since I am only resident alien (green cad holder), the Federal Gift Tax Lifetime Exemptions of 11.4 Mil does not apply to me. Is it true? Did I dig myself into a 10K hole without a way out? Ohh hold me DL, I'm in pain.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 5:48 PM

You can treat your parent's original transfer to you as a loan, and now you're just paying it back. No need to bother with gift tax issues.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2020 10:22 PM

r1 is correct. You are repaying an interest-free loan. There is no taxable event. Whatever you do, do not file the Form 709.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2020 10:25 PM

Oh really? R1 and R2, that sounds sexy, what do I do now to signify it as a loan repayment to the IRS? Just not filing anything on it and wait until the IRS call me up? Thanks Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2020 10:32 PM

r3 Yes. No taxable event - nothing to report on your tax return.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2020 10:39 PM

Thank Y'all, my taxes passed with flying colors. R1 R2 and R4 WW all around!

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2020 4:07 PM

What R1 said, and for the love of god, when you call the IRS helpline, NEVER give them your name or any SS or TIN information, just ask a general question.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2020 4:20 PM

I sent my tax returns to federal govt via snail mail. certified with return (that green card on the back) but I didn't get that card back yet. it's been 2 weeks. should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2020 4:34 PM

We all have our cross to bear, Mary OP.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2020 4:41 PM

Taxidermist? Do you want to stuff yourself when you're dead?

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2020 4:47 PM

r9, No dear, there is a fun user, whose name is Taxidermist, and he shows up occasionally to help you navigate through the tax thing since he is an accountant.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 5:09 PM

r7 If you have your certified mail receipt number, you can track the item on the usps.com web site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 5:42 PM

R7 why don't you file your taxes online dear? Its free, and then you don't have to worry about return receipts.

Since USPS is slowed down now, by directive, and since there are currently two employees left at the IRS, you'll get it in a month or so. Have a drink.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 5:46 PM

R12, I don't trust it. And if I remember correctly, IRS data was hacked a few years ago and only those who filed online were exposed. so I will never file online.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 5:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!