Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

*BREAKING* New York City is CLOSED!

De Blasio comes to his senses.

[Quote]MAYOR DE BLASIO: “Tomorrow, I will sign an Executive Order limiting restaurants, bars and cafes to food take-out and delivery. Nightclubs, movie theaters, small theater houses, and concert venues must all close. The order will go into effect Tuesday, March 17 at 9:00 AM.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 31, 2020 9:48 PM

… and the looting has begun.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2020 2:42 AM

Wow. Denying New Yorkers their drink. It's like the Prohibition all over again.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2020 2:51 AM

FINALLY. Let’s hope the subway comes next. That has to be our biggest congregation point and we should not be down there until this disease is under some kind of control.

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2020 2:53 AM

March 15th 2020. The day America started taking covid-19 seriously and started implementing drastic measures to stop the spread.

That's New York, Illinois, California and Ohio that all announced they are shutting down today. I'm sure more states will follow.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2020 2:57 AM

You all must be rich and don’t need to work.

Sadly, some of us need to.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2020 2:58 AM

That's the downside to service industry jobs r5. The money can be nice, but there is no safety net to those kind of jobs in our country. There should be.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2020 3:10 AM

Not rich, at all. But this is an extraordinary circumstance and we’re all going to have to struggle through somehow. Totally agree with R6 that this society should provide a safety net for everyone, because things happen that are beyond our control and most of us cannot afford not to work for any amount of time.

My partner works in the subways and I am concerned about his exposure and that of his coworkers. It cannot possibly be safe.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2020 3:15 AM

[quote]Wow. Denying New Yorkers their drink. It's like the Prohibition all over again.

Please. De Blasio wishes he was as much fun as Red Mike Hylan and Jimmy Walker.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2020 3:22 AM

Extraordinary times. Someday you'll tell your cyborg grandchildren what you did to survive.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2020 3:25 AM

Fuck the toaster?

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2020 3:39 AM

Ohio gives immediate unemployment benefits to workers whose jobs were shut down ( even temporarily) by the virus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2020 3:39 AM

And this helps the many, many self-employed and independent contractors how?

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2020 3:43 AM

Who’s the handsome ginger?

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2020 3:45 AM

I'll make a brand new start of it

In old New York

If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere

It's up to you, New York, New York…

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2020 4:00 AM

The ginge is Michael Del Moro, a prostitution whore who posed for slutty pictures and landed jobs in TV news on his back.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2020 4:06 AM

r12. Yes, exactly!!

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2020 5:14 AM

Historians will look back on this period and wonder how seemingly a well-educated populace could be so mindlessly gullible.

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote]You all must be rich and don’t need to work. Sadly, some of us need to.

Keeping as many people at home as possible because they can work from home or take time off is a good thing. There's no reason to pull a sulky "well I guess you're RICH assholes then" because that's not the point. May aren't rich but are lucky enough to work from home.

It absolutely sucks that there is no safety net for people who need the salary, and I can only hope that nationally people will be able to get unemployment or some other assistance if they're forced to not work but have no other means of making money.

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2020 5:29 AM

As I was telling a friend earlier, it will be a season of shared sacrifice. Reminds me of the weeks after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2020 5:54 AM

Too many Republicans are refusing to head the warnings so this will not be like after 9/11. The internet has really fucked society.

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2020 6:22 AM

r20, you mean Russia has really fucked society.

by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2020 6:39 AM

R21 why doesn’t twitter/instagram/facebook just block russia from being allowed to use it??

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2020 6:44 AM

[quote]Who’s the handsome ginger?

That's an impossibility or an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2020 6:48 AM

[quote]Reminds me of the weeks after 9/11

What? I lived in Chicago and went to NYC in October for business. Outside of people trying to fly and south Manhattan, I wasn't the least bit affected, nor did I know anyone who was. This is far more widespread.

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2020 6:50 AM

[quote] FINALLY. Let’s hope the subway comes next.

Let’s hope not. I support the rest of the closings, but some people still need to get to essential jobs, medical appointments, and other things you can’t necessarily do remotely.

by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2020 7:49 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2020 8:08 AM

The MTA desperately needs to shut down. What’s the point of some things and not others. Just shut the city down for 2-3 weeks and get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2020 9:58 AM

We’re already closed, except to get food or medicine and only between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2020 11:03 AM

R27 did they even say how long things would be shut? Every other city and state gave out a date. I think it’s going to be a lot longer than 2 weeks though (although I don’t know why, given that it takes at most 14 days for symptoms to manifest).

So why does the quarantine need to last more than 14 days, except to really out these businesses even more under?

by Anonymousreply 29March 16, 2020 11:27 AM

They can't shut down mass transit - there are many people who need to take a bus or subway to get to doctor's appointments, dialysis, pharmacies, etc. These people don't have cars and can't afford taxis.

Before they shut down mass transit, they would need to arrange some system of providing transportation for the above situations.

by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2020 12:47 PM

Meanwhile in West Virginia, not a single case.

by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2020 1:04 PM

r31: Yet

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2020 1:07 PM

Retail stores are going to refuse to close until transit stops or the mayor orders it - something has to happen.. gap (or a ton of other store) do not need to be open today & having employees traveling around the city.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2020 1:39 PM

Damn, that redhead is hot!

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote] The MTA desperately needs to shut down.

The MTA Chairman was on the news either yesterday or the day before and said, “The subway system will not be shut down. Full stop.”

We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2020 2:29 PM

Yeah, but the subway has to be one of the places you are most likely to be exposed. It’s no one’s fault...it’s just the nature of the subway. It needs to be closed for a few weeks, just like everything else. If you can’t sit next to each other in a bar or movie theater, the subway must present the same dangers.

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2020 2:38 PM

R33 is right and the reason they must close. It will allow all businesses to close and let us quarantine for 2-3 weeks. As long as the MTA running that won’t happen.

People who need to get around can easily grab a cab/Uber.

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2020 2:55 PM

I’m a big proponent of self isolation - but subways and buses are the ONLY means of transportation for many. It’s like saying the country can not use their cars. Unable to get to essential services including nurses caring for sick (my sense is most nurses in NYC dont have cars).

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2020 3:16 PM

All nonessential businesses should be closed, and the subway should run every 30 minutes for those that need to get to doctors, work at hospitals, etc.

Hopefully with fewer people needing to travel, there will not be crowding on the limited trains, and the MTA will have time to give each car a thorough cleaning at each end of the line.

Will that work? Probably not, but it should be looked into.

by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2020 3:24 PM

Andrew Cuomo is now pleading for the federal government for assistance. He says the NY health system cannot meet the wave of patients that is soon to overwhelm it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote] and the MTA will have time to give each car a thorough cleaning at each end of the line.

But if the first person to enter the car at either end is infected, all that cleaning would be moot.

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2020 3:47 PM

And why aren't the gyms being forced to close?

They won't do it voluntarily!

by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2020 3:55 PM

I thought they were part of this, r42, and were closing.

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2020 3:58 PM

R43,

Mine doesn't want to close, and won't unless it's forced to. They want their money.

Though that might change in a matter of hours.

by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2020 4:17 PM

Gyms were ordered to close as of 8PM tonight.

by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2020 4:25 PM

Amazon Prime shipping is no more.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] FINALLY. Let’s hope the subway comes next.

Fuck you That’s how people get to the hospital & visit family. Ambulances, cabs & Uber cost too much for a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]the subway should run every 30 minutes for those that need to get to doctors, work at hospitals, etc.

That would guarantee the cars would be packed like sardines.

Not smart.

Let them run and people will self-quarantine. Only those who absolutely need to commute would do so and hopefully the subway cars are nearly empty like the streets.

by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2020 4:37 PM

Andrew Cuomo is intelligent, empathetic, engaged, efficient and competent in a crisis. New York is fortunate to have someone like him for their Governor. If only HE was the US President instead of the useless piece of shit we have in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2020 4:38 PM

And fucking Trump wants TO CUT PAYROLL TAXES of people who aren’t working to stimulate the economy, Proof that the payroll tax cut he wants is to solely to defund Medicare & Social Security, hoping to hurt/sicken/kill the most vulnerable in our society.

by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]Extraordinary times. Someday you'll tell your cyborg grandchildren what you did to survive.

How I Met Your Maytag

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote] All nonessential businesses should be closed, and the subway should run every 30 minutes for those that need to get to doctors, work at hospitals, etc

And shop and bring food, medicine & other supplies to elderly & disabled relatives who can’t do it themselves

by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2020 4:40 PM

R49, how fortunate are we that we have a New Yorker as POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2020 4:41 PM

R53 - unfortunately, it's the WRONG New Yorker in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2020 4:45 PM

Subways and buses need to keep open. Stop with this “shut down the MTA” idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2020 4:53 PM

R40 what about to the millions of people who just lost their jobs?

No shutdown could be happening with some kind of stipend plan in place. It will be worse than the Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2020 4:55 PM

[quote] Only those who absolutely need to commute would do so and hopefully the subway cars are nearly empty like the streets.

And if you want to guarantee a few seats for yourself, just let out a little cough.

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2020 5:05 PM

R52, Amazon delivers to the elderly and disabled just as easily as to the young and able-bodied.

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2020 6:40 PM

Personally I'm tired of hearing all the fucking whining from service industry people.

Yah it sucks.

But the alternative to losing a few weeks of income is dying or being sick and unable to work so STFU.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2020 6:44 PM

R59 many won’t get a paycheck. They may live but will be without money so no food and ending up homeless is better?

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2020 6:54 PM

People's lives will be ruined for many years over something they may already have and don't even know it and it's not hurting them. Get ready for the economy to tank worse than 2008, remember that?

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2020 7:03 PM

God. Please. Let this chase all the transplants out.

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2020 7:04 PM

R59 yeah exactly. But people pontificating from places of privilege don’t always get that. They’re also the same people who’ve been saying “maybe this is a sign from the universe to look inward and take things more slowly.” Only people from very comfortable perches can contemplate things like that.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2020 7:17 PM

I think Cuomo is kicking ass. Curiously my Fox News-watching elderly mother seems to have suddenly developed a negative opinion of Cuomo. I’m assuming Fox is blaming Cuomo instead of Trump somehow.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2020 7:18 PM

Trump singled out Cuomo today in a tweet saying he needed to do more. Which is weird considering how much He has done. Cuomo gave it right back to him.

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2020 7:20 PM

[quote] God. Please. Let this chase all the transplants out.

In case you haven't noticed, the pandemic is happening all over the country and the world. Why would it chase people out of NYC specifically?

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2020 8:18 PM

R66, Because NY has the highest number of cases in the US, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2020 8:31 PM

This is the most I've EVER liked Andrew Cuomo. Maybe I should root for him and Sandra Lee to get back together.

by Anonymousreply 68March 16, 2020 8:50 PM

[quote] [R66], Because NY has the highest number of cases in the US, maybe?

Across the entire state, yes, not just in NYC. And that is a function of population—NY also has more people who DON'T have the coronavirus than almost any other state in the US. NYC has more people who don't have the coronavirus than any other city in the US.

by Anonymousreply 69March 16, 2020 9:29 PM

Had not realized they'd broken up, r68. What the hell is she wearing in this photo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 16, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote] Amazon delivers to the elderly and disabled just as easily as to the young and able-bodied.

Does it cook & clean for them? Figure out their bills because they won’t/can’t do computers ? Do the laundry downstairs in the basement for them?

by Anonymousreply 71March 16, 2020 9:58 PM

Cuomo passed THE most progressive, aggressive tenant empowerment act in the country this past year. THIS is what a competent, skilled, progressive politician looks like. Actually making change that helps people. As opposed to Bernie and DeBlasio - talking a big game and accomplishing nothing. I didn’t care much for Cuomo - but he is kicking ass now that NY has gotten rid of the upstate Deplroable politicians that prevented good Dem policies from passing,

by Anonymousreply 72March 16, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote]Cuomo passed THE most progressive, aggressive tenant empowerment act in the country this past year. THIS is what a competent, skilled, progressive politician looks like.

Before you start sucking his dick, that stuff only happened because the actual state party got together and worked together to oust a group of conversative Dem state senators who caucused with the Republican minority so they could have control of the Senate. That arrangement was done with Cuomo's blessing and encouragement, so he could use it a bipartisan credentials in a presidential run.

He didn't see the light, his hand was forced.

by Anonymousreply 73March 16, 2020 11:00 PM

R71, what does any of that have to do with shutting down the MTA?

by Anonymousreply 74March 16, 2020 11:47 PM

Off topic, by why do that ginger stud's tits sit so low below his shoulders? R26

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2020 12:28 AM

Depopulated mass transit COULD be reasonably safe it people had gloves, masks and goggles to wear. But they don't.

It's a myth that masks and goggles don't help the uninfected stay that way. Of course they do. N95s. They said otherwise because they don't have the damned masked. Which between Jan an now could certainly have been manufactured in a command economy.

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote] [R71], what does any of that have to do with shutting down the MTA?

People need to take buses & subways to family residences, dope. They need to go from Manhattan to Queens or from Queens to the Bronx. Or from the their Bronx to Brooklyn. My husband’s 95 year old mother lives in Queens.

by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2020 12:33 AM

I wonder if there have been any pollution maps of the greater NYC area before and after social distancing kicked in?

by Anonymousreply 78March 17, 2020 12:58 AM

You would think NYC would have herd immunity for everything you can think of.

by Anonymousreply 79March 17, 2020 1:03 AM

First of all was it necessary to start another NYC thread on this subject? We've already at least one and it is going well.

Two, live in NYC and the city is not "closed", nor will it be tomorrow or whatever.

Just came home and some places are still open (and rather full), though obviously bars, restaurants and other places ordered shut have complied. That isn't exactly end of things. Pizzerias are still open (and busy), as are many coffee shops. Starbucks is removing seating from some of their places, others not so much.

Subway cannot be shut down because people such as nurses, service workers, healthcare workers, doctors, etc... all must get to and from work. Many healthcare workers (aside from nurses and the other better paid professions) live outside of Manhattan. How would they get to work? Ditto for hospitality, retail, and everyone else who doesn't have the luxury of working from home or taking PTO.

by Anonymousreply 80March 17, 2020 1:11 AM

R80 no place can allow seating — not even a small pizza or bagel place (and that’s before it was changed from 50 to 10). Not sure what places you’ve checked out or what.

And even certain restaurants that said just earlier today that they would be open for take out and delivery are just closing period until further notice (and some will never end up reopening). It’s just. It’s just not worth it for them and they know it. Sucks for us though.

It’s a shame because...usually in a time of intense crisis — 9/11 for example — people (especially in NYC neighborhoods, wherever you are) in their community bond more than ever; you go eat or drink at some local place and have a great conversation with that neighborhood Joe that you would ordinarily not give that time of day. All of our coping mechanisms are gone — anything a decent therapist would suggest for example — and it’s probably only going to get worse .

There’s seriously no escape.

by Anonymousreply 81March 17, 2020 1:22 AM

I'm staying home and making the Sandra Lee Holiday Cocktail Tree, you all should too. Or maybe a tree decorated with N95 respirators!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 17, 2020 1:34 AM

I'm gonna have to go out & buy more Scotch tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 83March 17, 2020 1:40 AM

R78 What does pollution have to do with social distancing and what kind of mapping are you talking about, things like incinerator output, sewer drains flushing garbage into the waterways and emissions issues?

by Anonymousreply 84March 17, 2020 2:36 AM

I bet those Cuomo boys are intense fucks.

by Anonymousreply 85March 17, 2020 2:32 PM

I hated Cuomo. I voted for Nixon.

He along with Inslee in Washington are the only leaders doing anything and that's why Trump is angry.

by Anonymousreply 86March 17, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote]I hated Cuomo. I voted for Nixon.

I did too. Even wrote her in.

Then she turned full-on Bernie Bro, and made me regret that a little.

by Anonymousreply 87March 17, 2020 2:39 PM

R84 I was referring to the reduction of nitrogen dioxide -- most notably in Italy. Was wondering if the same was happening in US city centers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 17, 2020 3:59 PM

What exactly happens with people who have no job or savings?

by Anonymousreply 89March 17, 2020 4:24 PM

Rents/mortgages, utilities and loan payments should be suspended and plans made by the military for food and water distribution, maintenance of civil order, and the creation of tent cities for triage. There should be an open call for medical volunteers who would receive certain training, and allow for the deputization of citizens to help with law enforcement.

by Anonymousreply 90March 17, 2020 4:31 PM

How does rent suspension work? The landlords just lose that income? Suspended mortgages can just be back amortized however many months, but would rent payments just never get paid back?

by Anonymousreply 91March 17, 2020 4:35 PM

Landlords are not going to go for missed rent payments. They will complain that they have bills to pay, families to feed etc (even if they are rich!). I am sure if I am 8 days late, my landlord will send a letter saying they will start eviction proceedings if I don’t pay up in 7 days. Corona or no Corona.

by Anonymousreply 92March 17, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote] It’s a shame because...usually in a time of intense crisis — 9/11 for example — people (especially in NYC neighborhoods, wherever you are) in their community bond more than ever; you go eat or drink at some local place and have a great conversation with that neighborhood Joe that you would ordinarily not give that time of day.

Um, you're missing the point of an airborne disease

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2020 4:48 PM

A fund for rent emergencies seems more fair than just rent freezes yes there are billionaires and corporations who own entire city blocks. There are also property owners that have rental properties as a supplemental income and can not afford to lose a few months rent.

by Anonymousreply 94March 17, 2020 4:51 PM

Phew - I was just about to buy my first rental property this month. Dodged that bullet.

by Anonymousreply 95March 17, 2020 4:53 PM

Okay, let's put it this way: Enforcement of evictions will be blocked. We can pick up the pieces when the crisis passes.

by Anonymousreply 96March 17, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote] Um, you're missing the point of an airborne disease

I don't think anyone's missing the point of an airborne disease, dopey; someone just lamented that because CV is an airborne diseases, NYers cannot behave as they typically would during a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 97March 17, 2020 5:53 PM

Wok 88 better not close for good. That’s my favorite Chinese restaurant. Ate there for 20 years when I lived in the neighborhood & I still go there & bring home takeout whenever I’m in the city.

Chinese restaurants are a dying thing in the city now. Every neighborhood used to have one on every corner, but the space has become to expensive

by Anonymousreply 98March 17, 2020 5:58 PM

Has anyone looked on Seamless if see if things are still delivering? I've heard a lot of places have just closed because just pick-up/delivery won't keep them afloat.

by Anonymousreply 99March 17, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote] but the space has become to expensive

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 100March 17, 2020 6:03 PM

Rents have got to come down now. All this empty spaces will be quadrupled in the coming month. Landlords would be smart to give a rent holiday for 2 months. In their interests to have a paying tenant when things start back up.

And no, I don’t feel bad for landlords. 90%+ refinanced to take out millions as rents skyrocketed in the last few years. If they can’t make their mortgage it’s because they took out too much to put in their own pocket. The solution to this has got to avoid “trickle down” fake-economics.

by Anonymousreply 101March 17, 2020 6:10 PM

They've closed the High Line park?

How will the voyeuristic freaks who love doing dirty things with drapes/curtains open (and those who watch them do it), get their kicks now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 17, 2020 9:30 PM

Shit! And I spent good money on opaque curtains!

by Anonymousreply 103March 17, 2020 10:56 PM

So you don’t want people to see, r103?

by Anonymousreply 104March 17, 2020 11:03 PM

DeBlasio claiming NYC could go to a shelter-in-place rule imminently. Cuomo disagrees with him and says he can’t make that order.

by Anonymousreply 105March 17, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote]DeBlasio claiming NYC could go to a shelter-in-place rule imminently. Cuomo disagrees with him and says he can’t make that order.

I wish these two would just have a slap-fight and get over it.

The way they act toward each other is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 106March 17, 2020 11:16 PM

I can't believe where we've reached a point where I prefer Cuomo, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 107March 17, 2020 11:18 PM

De Blasio is an idiot and Cuomo needs to remind him of that.

NYS has already issued an order to prevent evictions due to coronavirus. Other states as well.

by Anonymousreply 108March 18, 2020 12:06 AM

Can we stop calling transplants NYers?

by Anonymousreply 109March 18, 2020 12:14 AM

Am here to tell you these transplants, soy boys, and SJW fraus are annoying AF during this crisis.

In parts of Brooklyn they are yelling (or using microphones) out of their windows berating people for not "flattening the curve" and staying indoors.

On UWS (which needed no help in nosy liberal department), they are equally condemning people going about their business including going to bars, clubs, public venues. Well that was when they could; so many took to social media shame posting photos of people doing just that Cuomo and BdeB finally had to order places closed.

Most native NY'ers are going about things best they can; if you've lived here long enough you also have been through hell and back sometimes it seems. This includes two major terrorist attacks, two terms of Rudy G, and three of Bloomberg as mayor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2020 1:38 AM

The ones going on and on about Self-Quarantining are the transplants. The Natives all wanna go on with their lives, this isn’t scary to them. Most have seen crazy shit happen. Life goes on. The transplants are the ones that wanna freeze time and hide. No.

If you’re gonna die, you’re gonna die. If you wanna stay inside, do so, but stop forcing everyone else to. This is why the Natives are starting to hate transplants more and more. Stay where you fucking belong. NYC isn’t for you. You would never survive old NYC.

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] De Blasio is an idiot and Cuomo needs to remind him of that.

He does, frequently and correctly. It's one of the few things I like about that narcissist Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2020 2:34 AM

R110/r111 it’s true. So fucking annoying. Or they’re going back home to Mommy and Daddy on Strong Island. And all the Asians too — they’re all “my parents have been quarantined In China, it’s no big deal,” well fuck you, maybe living under a dictatorship is natural to you but it’s not to us, sorry. We’re doing the best we can and handling it the best we can. Sorry if we actually care about our mental health.

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2020 2:41 AM

There’s no way we can be locked up for months on end. Eventually the decision will be made to just let people die because for the 96% who won’t die life has to go on. Sad to say but it’s realistic. We’re not doing to destroy the country’s economy for a generation because 80 year olds are dying from a bad virus.

by Anonymousreply 114March 18, 2020 2:46 AM

I'm not "locked up" now nor intend to be so in immediate future. Working from home yes, but go out for walks (gasp even in Central Park), to stores, and even took subway (and back) to Chelsea to visit some friends.

At least in Manhattan many people live in apartments of 600 square feet or substantially less. That and or you have a small one or two bedroom apartment shared by three, four or more adults (roommates). There is no way people are going to remain cooped up for days on end. Murder is bound to happen.

Only reasons people put up with such small apartments here is that you don't plan on being indoors/home much. Just to sleep, eat, change clothes, etc... Otherwise you're out at work, school, or whatever much of the day.

by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2020 3:00 AM

[quote]At least in Manhattan many people live in apartments of 600 square feet or substantially less. That and or you have a small one or two bedroom apartment

I was just thinking yesterday how I'm so glad that I moved last year to my current one-bedroom apartment. Previously I was in a small studio in HK and would have had a lot less room to move around while being stuck inside thanks to a virus.

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2020 3:12 AM

Most of you should move back where you came from, as you are part of why this is all happening....

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2020 3:13 AM

They will open everything back up soon, within a week I suspect, when they realize they made a mistake and whole fucking world already has it and most do not even know it. By then even, the damage has been done and there are businesses closing and layoffs. 101 deaths out of 5800 KNOWN infections. I suspect many have it already.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2020 3:14 AM

K, where can I vote for R114?

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2020 3:18 AM

[Quote]They will open everything back up soon, within a week I suspect,

Want to make a bet? Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2020 3:19 AM

Oh god - May CV take the Native first and save us all the nastiness and unhappiness that is his life.

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2020 3:19 AM

We were doing a good job ignoring him and his antics r121. Let's keep that going.

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2020 3:21 AM

They aren't antics. Get the fuck out of my city. You do not belong.

Also, I am 32 and healthy. It most likely wouldn't do much harm to me, unlike most of you. Lmao

by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2020 3:24 AM

Don't know how much good opening things back up next week will do; things are fucked up big time already.

At least in Manhattan say below Harlem so many are just gone; UES, UWS, Tribeca, Chelsea, SoHo, West Village... entire apartment buildings are mostly or totally empty with residents gone. Since schools are closed those who may have had to remain have moved forward spring break plans and are out in the Hamptons or elsewhere.

Long as travel bans from Europe, UK and elsewhere remain in affect no one is coming here in great numbers if at all. And so it goes....

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2020 3:41 AM

All of you smugly snitting about it and working from home will be LOOKING from home for jobs next. Read the news they say it's imminent, it can't go on for long. Layoffs are coming, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. The economy is collapsing as we speak. You may be alive but on the street. My neighbors daughter is filing for UM tomorrow already.

by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2020 3:43 AM

Yeah the city is like a ghost town downtown. Anyone who could left town I think. Understandably. Maybe good in that is less people to clog up hospital beds.

by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2020 3:46 AM

NYC will be one of the first cities to collapse and transplants play a big role in that

by Anonymousreply 127March 18, 2020 3:49 AM

I'll tell you something else that no one is talking about out loud; NYC and other urban areas need to manage the perception of risk for future events.

After 9/11/01 people and businesses cleared out of NYC/Manhattan (especially lower part) out of fear area was just too prime a target. Most fled to the suburbs or other places not so likely to be hit. Happily lower Manhattan like much of the city did bounce back eventually, but this time it could happen again.

Urban areas like New York have been enjoying a decade or more of population growth as white flight ceased, and or reversed. People want to live in cities again, but that could change if they start believing living in densely populated areas can pose a risk to safety and health.

Businesses may simply accelerate trend of concentrating less employees in city, and scattering them elsewhere.

When you get down to it living in dense urban areas has never been totally healthy; and this latest crisis proves something people have known for centuries. Hence the wealthy are in the country/suburbs while the working to middle classes are left to their urban fates.

by Anonymousreply 128March 18, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote]At least in Manhattan say below Harlem so many are just gone; UES, UWS, Tribeca, Chelsea, SoHo, West Village... entire apartment buildings are mostly or totally empty with residents gone.

I live in lower Chelsea. That's a total lie.

by Anonymousreply 129March 18, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] UES, UWS, Tribeca, Chelsea, SoHo, West Village... entire apartment buildings are mostly or totally empty with residents gone.

Gone where? How many people do you think have homes in the Hamptons?

by Anonymousreply 130March 18, 2020 3:53 AM

It starts with the service workers blue collar but goes up from there to you whities working from home, you are not immune. Keep being smug about the low wage earners and you will get bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 18, 2020 3:54 AM

They better not close the subway because if they do we'll go out onto the streets and into your homes were we'll eat every fucking thing you've hoarded

by Anonymousreply 132March 18, 2020 3:55 AM

Hopefully NYC becomes less attractive to people. Less global demand for MYC housing, decreased prices, less tourism,

by Anonymousreply 133March 18, 2020 3:56 AM

This is global nothing like 9-11, it is all over and too late now.

by Anonymousreply 134March 18, 2020 3:56 AM

Look at all those peeps in line spreading the virus while waiting for UEB, they are desparate, they don't care and can't care, this is what it is down to because they have panicked and shut it all down.

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2020 4:02 AM

r128 but NYC has always and will always be terrorists main target because of all the tall buildings and so many people. With one building they can cause tons of damage.... and those of you white fuckers who believe 9/11 will never happen again, GET REAL.

And safety is always at a LOW in major cities. NYC has never been as safe as everyone says. I dont know where this rewritten history is coming from.

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2020 4:04 AM

R115 i made that exact point a couple days ago and some DL asshole said “oh cry me a river”. So thanks for validating :)

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2020 4:28 AM

R125, you are correct. I took my computer home from the small office I work in with four others. We cater to very high end people in the design business. I have been through all the crashes since 1987 when out of college. Always the wealthy had money. They always survived.

This one is culling them out. Things are stopping in their tracks. Most people will be out of a job very soon, even the ones working from home. Including me.

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2020 4:53 AM

R138 you are humble about this and I'm sorry for you, but these other snooty bitches who sound like some very typical gay men who think their shit don't stink are in for a ride. I'm almost but not really of course, glad I'm disabled and hopefully will not have to worry. I also have an old retired husband who was blue collar but invested well so we're good.

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2020 5:02 AM

R139, Thanks, I get it. There is a contingent here that thinks they are immune to the first pandemic that occurs in a country that makes nothing and encourages businesses to become the parasite between you and the service provided. Healthcare for example.

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2020 5:18 AM

[quote] Also, I am 32 and healthy.

LOL. I'm not a native NYer but I've lived here since before you were born, so I guess I get to tell you to get the fuck out of MY city.

What is with all the morons acting like this is some tragedy unique to NY or "densely populated urban areas"? People are being laid off or told to work from home, businesses and schools are shutting down, etc. all over suburban America, too.

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2020 5:25 AM

Coastal Gays I tell you they are something to behold!

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2020 5:27 AM

I'm hoping that some of the posters on this thread are joking, but I suspect not.

The nitwits who post that they are "healthy"... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW THAT?

The slightest research will show that while Italy only tests those already showing symptoms, South Korea has an expanding testing plan.

Their expanded tested group shows huge numbers of infected people in their 20s. You know, the ones who think they are healthy and in reality are infecting others with the disease.

Perhaps what we need is a database of names of those assholes who are ignoring the quarantine. So, when the hospitals are overcrowded and the existing limited supply of ventilators are all being used, it would be the assholes in the database who get the red dot on their chart. No ventilator for you asshole.

Oh, and as someone who has been on DL for years and been amused by the "New York is the most wonderful place to live even if I only have a rabbit hutch as a place to hang my hat", it seems that those rabbit hutches for which you have been overpaying, well, the walls are closing in.

Boo Fucking Hoo.

Deal.

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2020 5:36 AM

R130

One, it isn't just Long Island/the Hamptons. People have homes in the country from upstate NY, New Jersey, Westchester, the Berkshires...

If you don't own, there is always renting...

Season doesn't begin until Memorial Day weekend which is when most summer leases commence. So there are plenty of empty places vacated since Labor Day weekend or sometime late fall just waiting to be rented off season.

Many likely had plans to spend spring recess/break elsewhere am sure; but since travel to Europe, UK and other places is pretty much out, one plays the hand dealt.

Even if one doesn't own or can afford to rent, people do have family you know.....

Was down in Tribeca/Financial District/City Hall area last night, it is EMPTY. All my friends and coworkers who live down there are either gone, or few still about say they pretty much are the only ones left in town for entire building.

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2020 5:41 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 18, 2020 5:43 AM

If public transportation is closed, people will finally start working where they live, live where they work. Commuting other than for short distances needs to end in our society.

by Anonymousreply 146March 18, 2020 5:47 AM

People are hilarious to think that this will be over by Memorial Day.

by Anonymousreply 147March 18, 2020 6:46 AM

Unless you are comfortably in the one percent, you'd better hope this crisis is mostly over in about two months for most part.

Otherwise all economic heck is going to break loose. People cannot afford to miss one, two or three paychecks, now you're talking about two month's worth? OTOH businesses of all sorts cannot remain shuttered for months on end either.

by Anonymousreply 148March 18, 2020 6:58 AM

Who are these idiots saying native NYers aren't afraid of this shit? Unbelievable. Everybody is on edge.

by Anonymousreply 149March 18, 2020 7:03 AM

R147 the virus won’t be over (though we should basically know what we’re dealing with at that point) but there’s absolutely no way they can keep these restrictions in for longer than that. A couple weeks let alone months is devastating already, and the WH can’t keep writing $1000 checks.

by Anonymousreply 150March 18, 2020 7:04 AM

Yeah, no way they’ll keep everything shut for three months. They’ll have to make a Sophie’s choice between destroying the economy for decades or letting a large amount of people die. They will choose to let people die.

by Anonymousreply 151March 18, 2020 7:09 AM

R151, What makes you think both will not happen? You forgetting who is in the White House?

by Anonymousreply 152March 18, 2020 7:18 AM

[quote] K, where can I vote for [R114]?

You didn’t get your ballot for prom queen?

by Anonymousreply 153March 18, 2020 12:30 PM

They said the peak is probably in 45 days so....we have many weeks to go before things are open again and even then, I suspect it will be limited hours.

by Anonymousreply 154March 18, 2020 12:52 PM

I would wager things start again by June. If restrictions are effective, the rate of transmission should have been dramatically decreased starting this past weekend. With 5-10 days to incubate and another 5-10 days to peak sickness, I expect the hospital overload to happen in the next month. Maybe I’m missing something, but the institution of lockdown the past week should reduce the rate of transmission /new cases.

by Anonymousreply 155March 18, 2020 2:55 PM

New York City mayor plans to bring up "shelter-in-place" order with governor today via CNN

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on NBC's Today Show, “I think an honest conversation about shelter-in-place has to happen,” noting the decision “can only be made with the State of New York,” adding he will be speaking with the New York governor later today.

When asked if he will recommend to the governor that the city do a shelter-in-place while the city faces a growing coronavirus pandemic, de Blasio said he is “almost” to that point – saying “we have a little more to make sense of” first, including how to get people food and medicine, “but it has to be considered seriously starting today.”

by Anonymousreply 156March 18, 2020 3:21 PM

R146 you are a twat people cannot work were they live, almost nobody can. Once again, you WFH bitches are at it again, layoffs are starting and you won't have any customers so you won't have a job so you can WFH with your pussy cat purring in your fucking lap. Are you absolutely insane?

by Anonymousreply 157March 18, 2020 4:12 PM

How about people stop moving to cities in states they weren’t born in?

by Anonymousreply 158March 18, 2020 4:16 PM

Why, r158? WTF would that accomplish?

by Anonymousreply 159March 18, 2020 4:19 PM

Pretty much all of Manhattan are large apartment buildings that function because of a staff. How will a shelter in place order impact apartment buildings?

by Anonymousreply 160March 18, 2020 4:23 PM

R158 is the psychotic Native troll. I think he is worse than CV. Represents the worst of internet humanity - concerned only with attention to him no matter what the cost to anyone else. Derailing thread after thread because he is bored and pathetic. Hopefully he gets killed in the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 161March 18, 2020 4:25 PM

Why are NativeNYer's posts grayed and lined out. I'm in glee. Does that mean he's been TRANSPLANTED?

by Anonymousreply 162March 18, 2020 4:26 PM

Hopefully the woman he was freaking out about in this thread gave him the CV, R161:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 18, 2020 4:28 PM

We were inundated with people over the weekend. Our supermarkets have empty & near empty aisles & since it’s still off season, supplies were ordered in advance in off-season numbers. So who knows when the supermarkets will get another stock delivery

by Anonymousreply 164March 18, 2020 4:28 PM

The fucking plumbers, construction workers, barbers, sanitation workers, dentists can't fucking shelter in place! You white collar WFH cunts are fucking crazy. Who are you going to call when your dishwasher breaks down? This can't go one much longer. You people live in fucking lala land.

by Anonymousreply 165March 18, 2020 4:31 PM

R156 he’s such a FUCKING ASSHOLE. This is going to take a while to play out (a marathon not a sprint) we have to do things that we can realistically sustain. Not to mention as Cuomo rightly said it doesn’t work anyway. This is such an ego thing because he doesn’t want Cuomo to “win” this one. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 166March 18, 2020 4:34 PM

What's WFH?

by Anonymousreply 167March 18, 2020 4:34 PM

yes, I saw gov's presser and he said it won't happen, it doesn't work. Thank you...

by Anonymousreply 168March 18, 2020 4:39 PM

R168 you mean yesterday right? Well now it seems DeB is trying to wrestle with him to get it anyway. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 169March 18, 2020 4:41 PM

R169, no, it just happened within the last hour or two. Cuomo said no way regarding shelter in place.

by Anonymousreply 170March 18, 2020 4:45 PM

R167, Work From Home.

Context is everything.

by Anonymousreply 171March 18, 2020 4:51 PM

R170 ahhh thank goodness. I actually trust Cuomo right now if he says we don’t need it and it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work. If he had been running the country right now I don’t think we would have gotten to this point to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 172March 18, 2020 4:56 PM

Just use the police to break up large groups in public. Spain is using drones. There is no need to lock people in, they will just find a way to get out like going to the store when they really don't need anything. It's okay for people to go for people to go for walks or ride bikes as long as they practice distancing.

by Anonymousreply 173March 18, 2020 5:23 PM

R173 even in lockdown you can go to the store though.

by Anonymousreply 174March 18, 2020 5:33 PM

I would slap cuomo with my cock if I could

by Anonymousreply 175March 18, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] [R156] he’s such a FUCKING ASSHOLE

Why?

You Fox News watchers/NY Post readers have been programmed to squeal like a pig whenever you see DeBlasio because of years of Murdoch propaganda “HE’S A SOCIALIST! He’s a COMMIE! He’s married to a BLACK woman, he has BLACK kids! The HOMELESS problem is so much worse (millions lost affordable housing under Giuliani & Bloomberg), and he mismanaged the MTA! (the mayor has nothing to do with managing the MTA) HE KILLS COPS BECAUSE BLACK LIVES MATTERS!”

And sure, we’ll wait for you to swear you are a liberal progressive who has black friends (or maybe you’ll claim to be black yourself, lol) your entire life! It’s just that a guy who’s been mayor of NYC for 2 administrations with no major disasters makes you blow your stack because .....Wall Street!

by Anonymousreply 176March 18, 2020 5:38 PM

Yes, r174, that's the point. If you only allow people out to go to the store then people will find more reasons to go to the store.

by Anonymousreply 177March 18, 2020 5:42 PM

The same people who were screaming last week that DeBlasio was too blasé & needed to close the public schools & shut down the MTA are now screaming that shelter in place is ridiculous because DeBlasio says he’ll look into it.

by Anonymousreply 178March 18, 2020 5:43 PM

DeBlasio is an Idiot Grifter and so is his Butch wife.

by Anonymousreply 179March 18, 2020 5:43 PM

Because he's now overcompensating for last week's fuck up, r178.

by Anonymousreply 180March 18, 2020 5:46 PM

R172 Cuomo is a corrupt incompetent cunt. He runs the MTA but blamed all the problems on Bill DeBlasio. Thar shows you want kind of fucking weasel Cuomo is. He is ready to pass the buck and not take the blame for anything. The Moreland Commission started to investigate Cuomo and then ended it! His friend ,Jerry Percoco, took the fall for him.

by Anonymousreply 181March 18, 2020 5:51 PM

R178 what r180 said. And he’s more interested in looking good to the twitter mob and advocating policies that “sound good” then actually getting things done.

And yes I go on record as a big “D” Democrat and all of my posts support that (and there are many) but believe what you want.

by Anonymousreply 182March 18, 2020 5:51 PM

De blasio is a lazy cunt. Prior to this virus, he's still at the gym at 9am.

by Anonymousreply 183March 18, 2020 5:51 PM

This is the mayor who wants to shelter in place the entire city yet still goes to his gym right after telling other NYers not to and that he would be closing gyms.

by Anonymousreply 184March 18, 2020 5:51 PM

[quote] DeBlasio is an Idiot Grifter and so is his Butch wife

How does he grift? How is he making money off his position? Be specific, like we can be specific about Trump grafting through the Trump International, the Trump golf course in Ireland & Scotland and the Trump Foundation stealing charity money. And how Ivanka has been granted at least 16 patents from China since Daddy took office and how Jared Kushner has used his position to get money from UAE for 666 Fifth Avenue & his brother Josh’s health company Oscar received $375M from google parent company Alphabet & will develop a virus website that will generate millions in ad revenue.

And be sure to tell us how you’re a democrat who donates money to dem candidates & volunteers on democratic campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 185March 18, 2020 5:54 PM

A bunch of money (like a billion dollars) that was supposed to go to an initiative that was headed by his wife just vanished. I don't think it was graft, I just think it was incompetence.

Credentials: Supported Hillary in 2008 primary, Hillary voter in 2016, voted for De Blasio twice, voted Green in 2013 gubernatorial election, wrote in Cynthia Nixon in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 186March 18, 2020 6:01 PM

Well here’s one way, r185:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 18, 2020 6:01 PM

So I take it you're not aware that de Blasio was under investigation by Phreet Bhara before Trump fired him, r185? De Blasio lucked out when Preet got the axe. There was a massive pay-play-investigation going. His real estate dealings are shady and his appointing his wife as a mental health czar ended up with money missing.

by Anonymousreply 188March 18, 2020 6:03 PM

And when r188 says “money missing,” he’s talking BIG money, to the tune of $850M!

by Anonymousreply 189March 18, 2020 6:05 PM

Aww, New Yorkers arguing about corruption. How exciting.

by Anonymousreply 190March 18, 2020 6:18 PM

Progressive liberal who wanted everything DeBlasio promised - in order to get elected over Quinn. I hate him because he is a failure at accomplishing anything he promised. I hate incompetency and making promises you have no intention or ability to fulfill. I’m loving Cuomo for things he actually ACCOMPLISHED - even though he never promised them or even got elected because of them - because he is an effective politician and gets things done.

by Anonymousreply 191March 18, 2020 6:18 PM

[Quote] So I take it you're not aware that de Blasio was under investigation by Phreet Bhara before Trump fired him, [R185]? De Blasio lucked out when Preet got the axe.

Attorney general investigations don’t just end when the Attorney General leaves. There are a ton of people in the offices that keep working on investigations.

There was no such investigation of DeBlasio

by Anonymousreply 192March 18, 2020 6:46 PM

[Quote] A bunch of money (like a billion dollars) that was supposed to go to an initiative that was headed by his wife just vanished.

It didn’t just vanish! The NYC Council was concerned whether the outcomes promised actually occurred, not that the money was stolen.

Stop making shit up

by Anonymousreply 193March 18, 2020 6:48 PM

I’m still here fools.

by Anonymousreply 194March 18, 2020 7:17 PM

Transplants have destroyed city after city.

by Anonymousreply 195March 18, 2020 7:18 PM

You mean **THIS** investigation, r192. Are you really trying to say **THIS** investigation didn't exist?

LOL! Okay Mr. De Blasio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 18, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote] I hate him because he is a failure at accomplishing anything he promised.

Neither did Obama

by Anonymousreply 197March 18, 2020 11:20 PM

So why didn’t the investigation lead to charges & a conviction?

by Anonymousreply 198March 18, 2020 11:22 PM

Why can’t we all simply shelter in place for 2-3 weeks, WFH and then, if after three weeks we have no symptoms, we are allowed back into the world again. (Obviously, if you have symptoms, you remain in quarantine.)

by Anonymousreply 199March 18, 2020 11:23 PM

R199 - too logical

by Anonymousreply 200March 18, 2020 11:24 PM

R199, exactly what I have been thinking. We need to isolate to figure out who is sick, first. Otherwise they will continue to wander around infecting others. Even at the outside estimate, within four weeks, we would know who most of them are, and we could treat or quarantine just them.

by Anonymousreply 201March 18, 2020 11:37 PM

My friend came back from Spain (Barcelona) 3 weeks ago complaining about bronchitis. He said he is still not feeling well and will stay away. I must admit I was relieved because he might have it.

by Anonymousreply 202March 18, 2020 11:43 PM

R199 I’ve posted this quite a few times and I still haven’t gotten a satisfactory answer. Not to mention 14 days is really the overly cautious estimate, most get it much sooner. So it really should be fine if people would just listen to logic.

by Anonymousreply 203March 18, 2020 11:49 PM

Because the new appointee was one of Trump's and he decided not to move forward, and probably because it would have dragged his real estate buddies into it, r198.

by Anonymousreply 204March 19, 2020 12:02 AM

Am I the only Manhattan eldergay here who has been long disgusted with ALL these people? Warren Wilhelm, Cuomo, Trump? I'll add Giuliani, Bloomberg, Dinkins and even Koch, who was a basically good guy in an impossible political situation.

When will corrupt NYC real estate developers stop having their contributions to corrupt NY state politicians matter?

by Anonymousreply 205March 19, 2020 12:05 AM

It is a moment to reflect on the inexcusable closing of St Vincent’s and absence of any replacement. A story today said the number of hospital beds in the city had shrunk more than 30% since 2001 - which is partially why we face a critical shortfall now. Government needs to intercede in the free market to keep critical hospitals like St Vincent’s alive.

Now there is no hospital for the lower west side - and not enough beds or ERs in the best of times. NYU ER is now perpetually overwhelmed. Hopefully this changes something.

by Anonymousreply 206March 19, 2020 1:10 AM

[R205] not the only one, but I liked Koch, and the first cuomo. I even liked guiliani before he lost his mind...

by Anonymousreply 207March 19, 2020 1:12 AM

LICH as well.

by Anonymousreply 208March 19, 2020 1:13 AM

Apparently Chirlane McCray put the bug in BdeB's ear about mandatory shelter in place order.

That woman is planning (which means she will do so) a run for Brooklyn borough president, so it isn't surprising she is involving herself more in matters that are none of her business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 19, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote] We need to isolate to figure out who is sick, first. Otherwise they will continue to wander around infecting others. Even at the outside estimate, within four weeks, we would know who most of them are, and we could treat or quarantine just them.

The ONLY way to determine who is infected is by TESTING.

People can feel fine and still have it and INFECT OTHERS.

The difference between Italy testing those with symptoms (elderly mostly at first, but now younger people too) and South Korea who had more widespread testing which revealed large number of young infected people in their 20s. Once identified, investigations ensued in SK to find people who had been exposed to those infected.

That's how South Korea got a handle on things and reduced the number.

This idea that because young people have no symptoms that they are fine is JUST NOT TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 210March 19, 2020 1:39 AM

Shelter in place will not work in NYC as inhabitants of this great city will do what they have done for ages; disregard laws/rules that don't suit themselves.

It would take a massive LE presence and or imposition of martial law to enforce such a thing.

Oh, you'd get plenty of soy boys, SJW fraus and assorted busybodies willing to act as "hallway monitors" if you will. But it will soon dawn upon many that New Yorkers have long memories. Soon as they are out of stir or whatever penalty is imposed upon them revenge will be top of many persons to do list.

by Anonymousreply 211March 19, 2020 1:40 AM

What's a soy boy?

by Anonymousreply 212March 19, 2020 1:45 AM

God r211 you definitely understand NYers! That is exactly the scenario that would happen.

by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2020 1:45 AM

Take a look at the graph showing the rise in cases per day in the UK.

Yes, I know this is a NYC thread, but I just saw this and as days go by, the number of cases jump by larger and larger numbers per day. -- 676 more cases from March 17th to March 18th.

That's what we can expect to happen here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2020 1:47 AM

R210, but if a young person is quarantined for 2-3 weeks, that should be enough for it to get it out of their system even if they do have it and are showing no symptoms.

Wouldn’t it be true that if a person (young or old) was quarantined for 3 weeks and showed no symptoms that A) they never had it or B) they had it, showed no signs of it and now it has passed?

by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2020 2:23 AM

News out of Albany; expanded PTO for duration of emergency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 19, 2020 2:26 AM

Why does this thread say "216" replies, when there are only 135?

by Anonymousreply 217March 19, 2020 2:32 AM

Try reloading the page/site,r216. DL can be quirky like that.

by Anonymousreply 218March 19, 2020 2:37 AM

R191

Oh I don't know....

BdeB promised "equality" and "inclusion" along with promising to bust housing industry, which to some extend he has done. Perhaps not enough to please some, but you have scores of poor, minorities, and others who previously never would have gotten a foot past any luxury housing front door now living there, and paying dirt cheap rents as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 19, 2020 2:38 AM

R206

While like yourself still grieve loss of Saint Vincent's; that place was it's own worse enemy. The nuns, administration, and others mismanaged that hospital's affairs very gravely. When any business goes through bankruptcy and emerges still owing substantial amounts of debt something is terribly wrong.

Time and time again Saint Vincent's board and owners paid for consultant after consultant studies that served basically no other purpose than to produce pie in the sky plans, and to enrich themselves in process.

LICH was another side of same coin; it was looted by Continuum Partners, then suffered from same fate as Saint Vincent's; that is despite all the new wealth in Brooklyn people wouldn't go near; instead choosing to go into Manhattan or out to LI for healthcare.

As for shortage of hospital beds New York Presbyterian/Cornell have big barns of campuses where many floors or entire wings have been mothballed. Presumably if staffing and supplies can be found those areas can be opened up again bringing beds online. Don't know how far along closing of Beth Israel hospital's main campus has gone, but there is another big hospital building where areas were mothballed. Lenox-Hill also has empty floors as well.

If a way could have been found to make Saint Vincent's profitable going forward, someone would have stepped in and bought the place, one billion dollars in debt notwithstanding. Lenox Hill hospital got snapped up by North Shore-Long Island Jewish (now Northwell), and they have made the place produce a return on that investment.

Bottom line is the Sisters of Charity refused to budge on their mission; to provide healthcare to all regardless of ability to pay. Fair enough, but a hospital like any other business (for profit or nonprofit) must bring in more money than it spends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 19, 2020 2:53 AM

The Rudin family interests bribed their brought in managers to manage St. Vincent's into bankruptcy. twice. That is the story that was never reported in MSM. And reveals the corruption of the Bankruptcy Court which was complicit twice.

by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2020 3:06 AM

The Rudin family interests bribed their brought in managers to manage St. Vincent's into bankruptcy. twice. That is the story that was never reported in MSM. And reveals the corruption of the Bankruptcy Court which was complicit twice.

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2020 3:06 AM

The problem is running hospitals for their profitability rather than patient care. Like providing health insurance for its profitability. We are a sick society that bases everything on profit. Capitalism, now hypercapitalism, has run its course. Time for some mitigating forces.

by Anonymousreply 223March 19, 2020 3:21 AM

Only difference between nonprofit and for profit is where the money goes; back into the "business" or to shareholders.

Enterprises that do not make any sort of profit will close regardless of type, period.

Days of running hospitals/healthcare systems as charity enterprises by sisters, brothers or any other well meaning group (religious affiliated or not) is over. This why not just Saint Vincent's in Manhattan, but Los Angeles along with other similar charity/hospitals of last resort are closing all over the country.

Things started going bad for charity care hospitals with the introduction of Medicare and Medicaid. That gave people options to go elsewhere for indigent health care, and many did. Places like Saint Vincent's got hit with multiple bats; high numbers of indigent patients meant they received very little reimbursement for care provided. This even when Medicare or Medicaid were paying bills because those reimbursement rates are horrible.

To be seen as a hospital of last resort if often kiss of death. People with good to excellent insurance or who can afford to self pay for healthcare often won't go near. Referring the more wealthy hospitals connected to medical schools and so forth.

There is plenty of money down in Greenwich/West Village, lower Manhattan these days. Little to none of those households would go to Saint Vincent's. but either cross town to NYU, or uptown to NYP or Mount Sinai. Susan Sarandon a long time West Village resident issued a statement flat out saying she wouldn't set foot in Saint Vincent's, nor allow any of her family to do so.

This being said there are Catholic healthcare systems managing to remain open and even earning small profits. But they are large, and tend to have a majority share of a local healthcare market. That is the only way any hospital/healthcare system is able to survive these days.

Look at NYC; NYU-Langone is the only independent hospital system left IIRC. Everyone or thing else is part of Northwell, Mount Sinai, NYP, and Montefiore. Am excluding places like Sloane-Kettering which is a private cancer research hospital that does not accept every patient, or Hospital for Special Surgery which as a limited mission and isn't a general hospital/medical center either.

Being as all this may as Far West Side continues to develop some day someone is going to open another hospital on west side. Likely won't be in our lifetimes, nor will it be a huge general hospital, but never the less something built along lines of what Mount Sinai is doing with Beth Israel. Or what Northwell did with their urgent care facility at "Lenox Hill south" or whatever they call the place on former Saint V's campus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 19, 2020 3:57 AM

I would think with Obamacare and most people having insurance now, the need for outright charity should have disappeared. Maybe Medicaid/Care rates are low - but it’s not free care anymore. I chose St Vincent’s for all my medical care - 2 surgeries and one hospital stay. I thought it was better than NYU - which has left me in a stretcher in a hallway for hours - twice. .

by Anonymousreply 225March 19, 2020 4:04 AM

While ACA did allow many to access health insurance, many also for various reasons can or will not.

Here in NYS even the least expensive ACA plan isn't cheap, so many are simply choosing to go without.

Besides having health insurance is no promise of thing being affordable. People are still being hauled into court for high medical bills they cannot pay. This comes as a shock to many since they are paying rather high insurance premiums for coverage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 19, 2020 4:16 AM

As it relates to NYC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 19, 2020 4:18 AM

NYC to begin releasing inmates from jails!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 19, 2020 5:31 AM

[quotes]The problem is running hospitals for their profitability rather than patient care.

Running the hospitals as a competitive business is what makes the hospitals in my city like hotels. They compete to have the best rooms and best staff since people have a choice of where to go. I don't want to stay in a decrepit county hospital where the uninsured and gun shot victims are taken.

by Anonymousreply 229March 19, 2020 6:24 AM

[quote]Besides having health insurance is no promise of thing being affordable.

The out-of-pocket maximum in the insurance contract is the promise to keep it affordable. I've been hospitalized, and I knew that no matter what they did to me, my total cost for the hospital and all other medical services in that calendar year would be no more than $4000. Once I hit the OOP, and I usually do each year, everything else including prescriptions is literally free for me until the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 230March 19, 2020 6:31 AM

r210 By then it is too late and they have infected everyone around them and you are pissing in the wind. I guarantee if you start testing massively then you will see just how many people ALREADY have it, many I suspect do, the only thing to do then is to either is open everything back up and deal with it, or, declare Martial Law and stop people from leaving their houses for ANY reason, not for food, go to the hospital, or anything, complete and utter lock down.

by Anonymousreply 231March 19, 2020 7:21 AM

R34 you need to check out his IG. He has abs, freckles, and ginger hotness for days. He is a thirst trapping gayboy with “professional” shirtless pics though. From the look of his bf, ginger is a top so there is that.

by Anonymousreply 232March 19, 2020 8:34 AM

MdM is hot, if you are into gingers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233March 19, 2020 8:57 AM

OTOH his bf certainly is not; but then again you often do get a hottie paired with someone not so much. De gustibus non est disputandum I suppose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 19, 2020 8:58 AM

R206

Finger pointing has begun.... City now finds it may need many of those hospital beds from closed institutions or floors after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 19, 2020 9:40 AM

McNally Jackson bookstore has closed down for duration, laying off staff.

They say will reopen, but some aren't too sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 19, 2020 11:17 AM

R234 the boyfriend is an ob/gyn resident in NJ so he is smart and I think cute. But no he does not have 2% body fat and muscles like MdM. They are engaged to be married. I wonder if they have three ways or an open relationship like so many millennials.

by Anonymousreply 237March 19, 2020 12:44 PM

The numbers have slowed in the USA. Maybe, it is slowing down? (Or they stopped repeating :(

9477 Cases / 155 Deaths

by Anonymousreply 238March 19, 2020 1:16 PM

Repeating = reporting

by Anonymousreply 239March 19, 2020 1:17 PM

ACA has led to 1/3 of NYS residents receiving Medicaid so that all their medical care is free, including prescriptions, etc. For those not eligible for Medicaid, the essential plans cost about $20-$50/month.

It is only the middle class who is burdened with high costs in terms of the ACA insurance marketplace.

NYS spends $70 billion a year on Medicaid, which is about 1/3 of NYS annual budget.

by Anonymousreply 240March 19, 2020 1:26 PM

R240

NYS ACA Essential healthcare plans have income limits. Basically they are for households who earn too much for Medicaid, but not enough for other plans. However there isn't much wiggle room as income limits are tight.

For instance a single person can earn maximum of $24,980 which is basically poverty level.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 19, 2020 1:53 PM

R238

Latest state by state beak down shows about 8,700 cases in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 19, 2020 2:04 PM

I CAN'T GET TOILET PAPER IN THE HAMPTONS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 19, 2020 2:06 PM

I CAN'T GET TOILET PAPER IN THE HAMPTONS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 19, 2020 2:07 PM

Well, I Never...................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 19, 2020 2:09 PM

R242> KRDO is behind. Worldometers has the latest stats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246March 19, 2020 2:45 PM

Big jump in numbers...

4152 confirmed cases state wide

2469 cases in NYC (yesterday it was one thousand eight hundred something...)

by Anonymousreply 247March 19, 2020 3:04 PM

this is only the beginning

by Anonymousreply 248March 19, 2020 3:07 PM

That's because testing has expanded. It should continue to increase as NY tests more.

by Anonymousreply 249March 19, 2020 3:07 PM

New York governor: "There is no quarantine plan for New York City"

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo attempted to assuage concerns this morning by saying "there is no quarantine plan for New York City" as it relates to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Cuomo went on to discuss New Rochelle, which is in Westchester County. As of Wednesday morning, 538 of the more than 2,380 cases in New York state were in Westchester County.

"My containment plan in new Rochelle didn't contain anyone. It was a bad word. It meant to contain the virus. You could come and go in new Rochelle, schools were closed, large gatherings were closed. But there was no quarantine containment. Well, you called out the National Guard. I called out the National Guard to help with food delivery and cleaning surfaces," Cuomo said.

by Anonymousreply 250March 19, 2020 3:16 PM

Based on that Washington Post article, quarantine doesn’t work. Self isolation works much better. Smart. DeBlasio is an idiot craving attention.

by Anonymousreply 251March 19, 2020 3:24 PM

NYU students ordered to leave dorms.

by Anonymousreply 252March 19, 2020 3:27 PM

R352 where are they supposed to go if they aren't from NY?

by Anonymousreply 253March 19, 2020 4:17 PM

Transplants! All of them.

by Anonymousreply 254March 19, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote] I called out the National Guard to help with food delivery and cleaning surfaces," Cuomo said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255March 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Public library is extending its closure to "indefinite."

But they also put 300,000 ebooks online, which is cool.

by Anonymousreply 256March 20, 2020 1:09 PM

Majority of NYC’s coronavirus cases are men between 18 and 49 years old

The majority of New York City residents who have tested positive for the coronavirus are men between the ages of 18 and 49, according to newly released public health data.

Even though experts say the elderly are the hardest hit by the virus, just 46% of the city’s COVID-19 patients are over 50 while 54% are 18-49. The remaining 2% of cases are people age 5 to 17.

The demographics, from the city’s Health Department, were determined from an analysis of 3,954 positive cases on March 19.

By Friday, March 20, there were 5,151 COVID-19 cases and 29 fatalities.

Women are underrepresented in the city’s tally while men account for 59% of infected people.

Men are more than twice as likely as women to die from the pathogen, White House coronavirus expert, Dr. Deborah Birx, said Friday citing mortality rates from Italy.

In addition to the demographics, the Health Department released a graph showing the alarming strain on the city’s hospital system.

Emergency room visits for flu-symptoms and pneumonia were up 366% compared to the same period last year. Queens had the largest increase in ER activity, followed by Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx.

“This is significant because as these numbers continue to rise there is growing concern about the city’s limited hospital and ICU bed capacity,” said Tomas Hoyos, CEO of the health and technology company Voro.com.

“New Yorkers who think they may have COVID-19 should follow Gov. Cuomo’s guidance about getting a telehealth consultation before leaving their homes and not walking into a doctor office or emergency room without calling beforehand.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257March 20, 2020 11:22 PM

Older people are quarantining, while the young thought they were invincible and continued to assemble.

by Anonymousreply 258March 20, 2020 11:43 PM

OMG, Andy Cohen has coronavirus!

by Anonymousreply 259March 20, 2020 11:46 PM

Can we focus on Mike Del Moro

by Anonymousreply 260March 20, 2020 11:54 PM

My neighbor is currently "walking their dog" by playing fetch in the hallway. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 261March 21, 2020 2:27 PM

If you’re on an upper floor, get a ball, open your door and throw it out the window. Hopefully the dog will go after it.

Then shove the dog owner right out after him.

by Anonymousreply 262March 21, 2020 2:46 PM

Full ground stop at all NY area airports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263March 21, 2020 5:58 PM

Pass it on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264March 21, 2020 6:02 PM

R263 what does it mean? No flights in and out? Domestic or international?

by Anonymousreply 265March 24, 2020 9:58 PM

Wow - we got a shot out from Dr Brix. NYC is the epicenter. 58% of cases. If you left NYC, you need to self quarantine. Frustrating as we were the first affected and one of the first to act. But looks like we will be the worst of it.

by Anonymousreply 266March 24, 2020 10:02 PM

But everything will be opened back up after Easter so just wear your mask and go back to work.

by Anonymousreply 267March 24, 2020 10:02 PM

What do you think this will all mean for the tourism in NY when everything is up and running again in the summer? Will it affect the prices of restaurant meals, accommodation, etc?

by Anonymousreply 268March 24, 2020 10:25 PM

The idiots in NYC didn't take this serious and now they are playing the price. Unfortunately they are leaving NYC and spreading their viruses to Florida, the Carolinas and where ever they are going. ASSHOLES.

by Anonymousreply 269March 24, 2020 10:30 PM

R269 It's thought that quite a few have gone to Long Island since there numbers have risen.

by Anonymousreply 270March 24, 2020 10:33 PM

NJ needs to close the border! No path, ferry etc.

by Anonymousreply 271March 24, 2020 10:35 PM

R269 That's exactly what they've done. My NYS area became infected after asshole NYC residents took a greyhound bus here. I suspect my partner has it currently, and it just so happens he was working at the very store a NYC cunt went shopping in.

NYC residents definitely played a big role in spreading this out and it's clear from reports, they have no intention of stopping.

by Anonymousreply 272March 24, 2020 10:58 PM

The biggest mistake has been underestimated this virus. There's still new symptoms being added to the list (seems like it varies in individuals) -- there's no conclusive evidence to suggest only above 70 can die. This lie is irresponsible.

Everyone that is more worried about the economy and believes it's worth saving over lives, is a dumbass. This easily can end up mutating and killing medical professionals. Sure, we need to pay our bills but they can be postponed. That's just too bad.

Anyone here that wants to rush back out can go work on patients in place of medical workers or be denied care if they get ill, since they obviously have no problem with other people dying for the precious economy.

I can't get over the dumb asses out there.

by Anonymousreply 273March 24, 2020 11:04 PM

Latest CDC counts of cases - USA Map.

Updated March 25, 2020

New York 26,358 cases - the most cases by far than any other state. The only state with 5000 or more cases.

States with 1000 - 5000 cases:

New Jersey 3675

California 2511

Washington 2469

Michigan 1791

Illinois 1535

Louisiana 1388

Florida 1373

Massachusetts 1159

Georgia 1119

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 26, 2020 4:11 AM

Now: 1032 Deaths

New York 32,966

New Jersey 4,402

California 3,154

Washington 2,588

Michigan 2,295

Florida 1,977

Illinois 1,865

Massachusetts 1,838

Louisiana 1,795

Georgia 1,387

Texas 1,155

Pennsylvania. 1,127

Colorado 1,086

by Anonymousreply 275March 26, 2020 4:42 AM

Us NYC eldergays who lived through the 1980s in the West Village never took this current thing unseriously. FU to those blaming us.

by Anonymousreply 276March 26, 2020 9:22 AM

We, not Us, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 277March 26, 2020 9:27 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 26, 2020 11:00 AM

Local NYC news this morning is reporting hospital workers are gowning up in oversized plastic garbage bags to protect themselves because that's all they have.

by Anonymousreply 279March 26, 2020 1:54 PM

Cuomo said yesterday all the hospitals have all the necessary PPE for the foreseeable future. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 280March 26, 2020 1:59 PM

Latest CDC guidelines one read states cloth isolation gowns are perfectly fine for treating Covid-19 patients where there is no danger of bodily fluids coming in contact and leaking through material. Of course that means wearing the thing properly and using it only once.

Sadly in this modern age many hospitals long switched to disposable isolation and even surgical gowns. Worse few have their own in house laundries; so everything must be sent out to a contract laundry. Obviously using something once then sending it to the wash will create massive laundry bills.

What we are seeing now is not that far removed from when HIV/AIDS patients began arriving in hospitals and people weren't sure how disease was spread. So you had staff gowning up in full severe isolation gear just to bring a pitcher of water into room.

by Anonymousreply 281March 26, 2020 2:00 PM

Latest CDC guidelines one read states cloth isolation gowns are perfectly fine for treating Covid-19 patients where there is no danger of bodily fluids coming in contact and leaking through material. Of course that means wearing the thing properly and using it only once.

Sadly in this modern age many hospitals long switched to disposable isolation and even surgical gowns. Worse few have their own in house laundries; so everything must be sent out to a contract laundry. Obviously using something once then sending it to the wash will create massive laundry bills.

What we are seeing now is not that far removed from when HIV/AIDS patients began arriving in hospitals and people weren't sure how disease was spread. So you had staff gowning up in full severe isolation gear just to bring a pitcher of water into room.

by Anonymousreply 282March 26, 2020 2:00 PM

13 people died overnight in Queens hospitals from the virus. It's evidently now the hardest hit borough.

by Anonymousreply 283March 26, 2020 2:02 PM

13 people died overnight in Queens hospitals from the virus. It's evidently now the hardest hit borough.

by Anonymousreply 284March 26, 2020 2:02 PM

Queens has a very large immigrant population, not to mention two airports are located in that borough.

Deaths took place at Elmhurst General which is a HHC municipal hospital that treats large numbers of under insured and those without as well. Policy of all NYC public hospitals is to treat any and every one regardless of immigration status, insurance coverage, ability to pay, etc..

Queens has seen an explosion in population over past decade or so, but has actually lost a few hospitals; notably when the Catholic hospitals connected with Saint Vincent's went belly-up before that place finally closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285March 26, 2020 2:08 PM

Queens has very few hospitals given its size. When I was a graduate social work student in the earlier 1990s I worked at Elmhurst for two summers. It’s a public hospital that provides care to an incredibly diverse range of ethnic and language groups with limited finances. Public hospitals are always underfunded and under-resourced. I don’t envy the staff or patients.

by Anonymousreply 286March 26, 2020 9:45 PM

Thank you for what you do, r286.

You’re important.

by Anonymousreply 287March 26, 2020 9:49 PM

R286

For its size Queens wasn't so densely populated as many areas have become today. I remember Flushing in 1980's and it was nothing like it is nowadays.

OTOH a sea of demographic changes have taken place; white working and middle class are leaving or just dying off; an in their place you have immigrants (legal or otherwise), more lower income households, persons without insurance, etc... All of which does not bode will for building a new hospital which is an expensive undertaking in NYC.

Meanwhile there has been a massive loss of hospital beds in Queens over past few decades as places either closed, or were converted to other healthcare uses.

Queens does need another full service general hospital, people have known this for some time now; but who is going to build and pay for it is another story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288March 26, 2020 11:58 PM

Fox and Friends bimbo Ainsley Earhardt reports what worries the truly concerned New York women:

“Y’all don’t think about this, guys ― this is not a priority ― but women have to get their hair done,” she said. “I saw someone tweet, ‘You’re gonna see what color our real hair is because our roots are gonna grow in.’ Women, all my friends are saying, you know, this is not a priority, people are dying and I realize that, but they can’t get their nails done. Businesses are closed everywhere right now, we’re in priority mode right now. It’s pharmacies and grocery stores, those are really the only places people are going now.”

by Anonymousreply 289March 27, 2020 12:02 AM

R289 she isn’t wrong but not a good idea for a public figure to tweet that.

by Anonymousreply 290March 27, 2020 12:07 AM

R218 Except we do know how this extremely contagious virus spread- being within 6 feet of a cough or sneeze or hand-to-mouth/eyes/nose.

by Anonymousreply 291March 27, 2020 12:11 AM

Main issue in NYC at least is all professional beauty supply stores are shut as part of PAUSE order (they aren't deemed essential), so even if a hairdresser wants to go mobile he/she may not have all supplies needed. If they can run in and get them from a closed shop, that is one thing. Otherwise ebay, Amazon or any other mail order supply will have to do. But by time stuff arrives shops may be allowed to reopen.

Depending upon what service is wanted doing hair at home isn't a huge deal. Long as there is some sort of comfortable chair or something, access to hot/cold running water with some sort of handheld shower attachment things can be managed.

A simple cut and blow out can easily be done at home. Ditto hair color providing proper chemicals/supplies are available. Many hairdressers began going mobile after last recession (and lingering affects) forced them to close their shops.

None of this even touches those who run salons or whatever out of their homes who have everything they need.

by Anonymousreply 292March 27, 2020 12:31 AM

In other words: All of us severely bleached blondes on Fox are in serious trouble unless Donald Trump opens up business by Easter.

by Anonymousreply 293March 27, 2020 12:36 AM

Funny hair meme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 27, 2020 12:39 AM

How some NY'ers are coping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Another industry shut down; AC has ordered most construction in NYS to cease as part of PAUSE order, deemed "not essential".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 27, 2020 9:27 PM

R296 99 percent of NYC construction is bullshit just to keep people employed anyway (and fuck up the streets ) so yeah.

by Anonymousreply 297March 27, 2020 9:57 PM

Too bad he didn't listen and do this two weeks earlier, maybe hundreds of people would be alive today.

by Anonymousreply 298March 27, 2020 10:16 PM

R298

That is really hard to say; speaking with doctors and nurses one knows while yes the odd young person is dying from Covid-19 majority of moralities are seniors, the elderly, and persons with underlying health conditions/commodities.

On another note my bank now requires people to make an appointment to conduct business at a branch. This even though they are only open for several hours a day. Personally am not a fan of using ATM machines for deposits, but guess have no other choice now.

by Anonymousreply 299March 27, 2020 11:43 PM

Not to be a pig about it, but now would be an excellent time for some of those subway overhaul construction projects. I mean there is probably the least amount of traffic going on right now so why not take out the L or G or whatever train they wanted to all but shut down. And do that BQE Brooklyn Heights overhang project as well.

by Anonymousreply 300March 28, 2020 12:24 AM

Most ATM's in New York haven't accepted deposits for several years. They are just cash withdrawal machines. It's really pissed me off because it has meant I have had to walk 10 blocks one way or the other to make an actual check or cash deposit. Fuck Citibank.

by Anonymousreply 301March 28, 2020 12:25 AM

Can't you use your phone for a check deposit? Just take a pic of the check and send it to the bank?

by Anonymousreply 302March 28, 2020 12:29 AM

I could rim that Ginger butthole for hours.

by Anonymousreply 303March 28, 2020 12:32 AM

R303 Gross. I am trying to eat dinner here.

by Anonymousreply 304March 28, 2020 12:34 AM

Just now? Atlanta did these restrictions over a week ago. I am surprised.

by Anonymousreply 305March 28, 2020 12:49 AM

Not a bad idea, R300.

by Anonymousreply 306March 28, 2020 1:21 AM

R304 to some people, Ginger buttholes our dinner.

by Anonymousreply 307March 28, 2020 1:52 AM

R307 In my mind, a big good turd is going into your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 308March 28, 2020 2:47 AM

R301

My bank accepts envelope and envelope-less deposits at ATMs. They do have that take a picture system but I'm not comfortable using it right now.

In fact don't like doing deposits by ATM if can help it; in past had several incidents, and have also read horror stories. When need to make a deposit, go and see a teller and that's that.

by Anonymousreply 309March 28, 2020 4:29 AM

Phone deposits work well, but there's a limit on them. I think it's $5,000 per deposit, which is fine for most people.

by Anonymousreply 310March 28, 2020 4:33 AM

I do the phone picture thing for a check, but I agree with you about ATM deposits. I don't do those, too many things can go wrong. Esp. when you're depositing cash. I want to do it with an actual bank teller.

by Anonymousreply 311March 28, 2020 4:41 AM

R309, you have me concerned, as I always use the ATM for deposits at my bank.

Could you be more specific about the hazards? As long as you're depositing a check (and not cash), isn't there always a record of the deposit to protect you?

by Anonymousreply 312March 28, 2020 4:58 AM

People have had issues with checks deposited at atm. Sometimes there is an extra hold placed on things in error or because customer didn't read and understand bank's policies. That or when doing an envelope deposit customer claims "X" number of checks totaling "Y" deposit; but bank says something else.

My bank's atms screen and validate check deposits pretty much same as when tellers do the transaction. You can bring up image on screen, and print out same on receipt if desired. ATM lists all check deposits, gives totals, and you can see the transaction almost at once if you access account online, app or at atm.

Cash I would never, ever, ever deposit at ATM. But am guessing many might not have a choice since so many banks are closing branches. Ones that are open have limited hours for which you need an appointment.

by Anonymousreply 313March 28, 2020 5:56 AM

I deposit cash and checks at Chase ATMs all the time. I also cash checks through the app by taking a photo of the front and back. Never had a problem with either. If you go to a teller then you will be forced to interact with someone. It’s so much easier to just do it yourself at the atm/app.

by Anonymousreply 314March 28, 2020 1:02 PM

OT, but Finland has been closed for week and a half, students study at home via zoom, adults working at home, restaurants, gyms etc. closed. We have almost 1100 cases and 8 people have died. At midnight the capital area was isolated, all road closed etc. Finnish government has acted fast. I am glad NY is doing the same thing. Cheeto should have done it at least two weeks ago. Stay safe!

by Anonymousreply 315March 28, 2020 1:07 PM

[quote] Phone deposits work well, but there's a limit on them. I think it's $5,000 per deposit, which is fine for most people.

Check with your bank. Mine just increased the limits on app deposits because of this whole thing. (TD bank)

by Anonymousreply 316March 28, 2020 1:38 PM

Hopefully some of these hotties in construction will be looking for “other work” if ya know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 317March 28, 2020 1:39 PM

Let's get back to Michael Del Moro. Is he worried about losing his muscle tone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318March 28, 2020 1:59 PM

R318 he seems to be doing a lot of home exercise. He did and IG story on his abs workout, and thst ginger boy does have perfect abs. I’m sure he is worried about losing his thirst trap hotness but he’s too lean and disciplined to lose much.

by Anonymousreply 319March 28, 2020 2:08 PM

Phew! Mike has maintained his lean muscle tone. Clearly hasn’t gotten lazy or given in to junk food like many of us non- thirst trappers. And he and the fiancé are cutting each other’s hair, adapting to plague life. Heroes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320March 28, 2020 6:54 PM

AC has announced that PAUSE order will remain in effect at least until 15 April. People who aren't ill or dead likely will be destitute or near by then unless other actions are taken.

by Anonymousreply 321March 29, 2020 10:13 PM

R321, action was taken in the stimulus bill.

Employees laid off as a result of this are receiving, in addition to their state’s unemployment maximum, $600/wk.

New Jersey has a cap of $425/wk for unemployment. With the federal increase, the maximum will now be $1,025/wk. So effectively those out of work will be earning what they would have if they were still working.

by Anonymousreply 322March 29, 2020 10:38 PM

Yes , but many are not eligible for unemployment such as the undocumented, self employed, gig workers, etc.... Thus none of that will make a bit of difference.

by Anonymousreply 323March 29, 2020 11:20 PM

R323, from the WSJ:

[quote] Several states have already adjusted eligibility requirements because of the coronavirus. For instance, states expanded eligibility to include workers who don’t have access to paid leave or who may not meet any requirement of being available to work, such as those who are quarantined.

[quote]The stimulus law further expands eligibility to include people who aren’t typically eligible for benefits, including self-employed people, those seeking part-time employment and independent contractors.

by Anonymousreply 324March 29, 2020 11:29 PM

We need a rent freeze.

by Anonymousreply 325March 29, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote] Yes , but many are not eligible for unemployment such as the undocumented, self employed, gig workers, etc

Actually, the stimulus bill has made freelancers and gig workers eligible for unemployment benefits. It has many flaws, but that's one good thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 326March 30, 2020 2:38 AM

^^ Oh, sorry, r324; totally missed your post.

by Anonymousreply 327March 30, 2020 2:39 AM

Happy to have helped, r327.

Thanks for the acknowledgment.

by Anonymousreply 328March 30, 2020 11:02 AM

They're going to start fining NY'ers $500 for violating social distance rules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329March 30, 2020 12:20 PM

R324

Relayed information given to someone who is self employed and they went to NYS unemployment website to apply and got nowhere.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has formally requested of PTOUS to make NYS eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance, that would allow self employed, independent contractors, etc to receive benefits. To date there has been no such approval (surprise, surprise).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330March 31, 2020 3:46 AM

Or,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 31, 2020 3:47 AM

The ESB for the duration of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332March 31, 2020 12:32 PM

NYSC is now telling anyone that keeps their membership active through the COVID thing will get a free membership upgrade for the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 333March 31, 2020 2:24 PM

R333 lol Great, so more trash can Flood their premium locations and more fat, ugly guys can troll the steams.

by Anonymousreply 334March 31, 2020 2:31 PM

Looking forward to seeing you too, R334.

by Anonymousreply 335March 31, 2020 2:32 PM

R332 Empire Strikes Back???

by Anonymousreply 336March 31, 2020 3:28 PM

R336, you’re a New Yorker who doesn’t know what the Empire State Building looks like?

by Anonymousreply 337March 31, 2020 9:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!