Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tone Deaf Companies - Equinox

While other gyms are closing, Equinox hasn't said a thing on line or in social media about how they’re addressing the coronavirus. I’ve received no emails from them outlining their plans, how they’re cleaning more, or what their staff is doing in the gyms.

Their website is promoting money for referrals - “spread the love!”

They couldn’t be handling this any worse.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2020 9:00 AM

I haven't received any e-mails yet from New York Sports Club (which also has clubs in Boston, and D.C.).

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2020 6:20 PM

I finally got an email from Equinox. They’re cutting the size of their group classes by half meaning only 20 can attend a class with a 40 person capacity.

So you only have a 50% chance of contracting the coronavirus. Unless you stretch on one of their mats and then you’re back to 100%.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2020 11:01 PM

I've received at least three emails from my Equinox in SF in the last couple of weeks about how they're doubling down on disinfectant, etc. Today's email noted the reduction in class sizes.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2020 11:04 PM

Equinox definitely didn't handle this very well. Gyms in the city of Los Angeles closed their locations a little earlier, but that meant Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood had to remain open (not sure if other ones remained open) a little longer. Official closing date for West Hollywood was afternoon on Monday March 16th. Last time we received any information from the company was on the app the day after, no email at least for me.

A member in Bethesda, MD tested positive & there were rumors of one of the NYC locations that was also affected, but I'm unsure which one. As far as I know, there was a notice sent to members at that specific location, but if that member had All Access/Destination/Executive status, that meant they could have gained access to ANY location besides that particular one.

Memberships are in Freeze status at no additional charge (normally $30 or so per month) but I know some people who want to cancel right now, but their messages/emails are not being addressed.

Sadly, a lot of employees who weren't paid a lot in the first place are seeing a reduction in pay, or they are being furloughed altogether. They consider those who are 'vital to reopening' the business as those who are still on the payroll, even at their 75%. However, the most crucial department (maintenance) is on furlough. Those poor employees worked their asses off near the end from what we saw. I guess this is the blue collar/white collar Equinox way of thinking.

Then again, Equinox never had their priorities right in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2020 8:26 AM

Equinox handled it better than 24 Hour Fitness did!

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2020 8:37 AM

I posted this on another thread:

Anyone receive the email from the CEO earlier today? It goes over the new rules for when they reopen.

If half the amenities are not available to us, then we should pay half our membership.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2020 2:29 AM

Or members should be able to choose to continue having their memberships frozen until all amenities are available.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2020 3:39 AM

Anyone from Texas go to the re-opening?

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 1:55 AM

In the past couple weeks, at least 2 members from a Houston area EQX tested positive. Might have been River Oaks location, but no 100% sure.

Went to visit one of the LA locations this past week. Temperatures were checked upon entry. Parking validation scanner was now for members to do, and if you wanted any towels, they were given at the front desk, no more stacks on the floor.

Limited to maybe 35 or so people in 90-minute shifts. This timing is on the honor system; so no one is keeping track on how long someone stays. Masks were worn by I'd say 50/50 of the members. Equipment such as treadmills were blocked off every other one so no one is directly next to one another. Although members are supposed to wipe down machines after, I did not see this done by most. Blonde girl next to me just got off the treadmill and sauntered off, oblivious or entitled, take your pick. However, wipes weren't so easy to find, you had to ask maintenance.

Showers were open, every other one as well. No hair dryers, lotions, razors or any other amenity from before was available. However the pump Kiehl's products were still in the shower. I guess they figured if you're getting clean, you won't be put off by these pumps that others have used prior to you? I had brought my own stuff anyway.

Is it worth the regular monthly cost for membership? Not at this time. Unsure of when they'll open the steam room/dry sauna (if there is one at the location) or spa. I heard locations that have pools have had access to the pools. Seems to vary state to state when it comes to this.

Has anyone else visited since they reopened this week in Southern California?

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 10:33 PM

But what about the Steam Rooms????

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2020 11:57 PM

my gym charged april and not may and now has charged june. Not one email. no notification and didnt respond to my email. They are open again...........in rankings of activities as to risk of covid, gyms are an 8, one step down from the trump rally tonite in tulsa. This is on a 1-9 scale.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2020 12:35 AM

Will the head of Equinox be with Trump tonight in Tulsa?

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2020 12:39 AM

r11 please post a link to that 9 point scale, someone also referenced it in another thread

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2020 12:40 AM

Any news on the one in Woodland Hills? Last email I got they only allow you 90 minute workouts and only if you pro-bono a visit, masks during strenuous exercise (great motivation to go back), and are closing the sauna (what so many people pay for), and reducing class size (again a major draw).

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2020 12:45 AM

Yeah, no one wants to work out anymore.

We've gotten all fluffy over the past few months, just not motivated-or ready-to go to a gym.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2020 12:46 AM

Yes, but the Woodland Hills steam room isn't worth it even when there is no pandemic!

Did Equinox even notify members that they were reopening?

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2020 2:09 AM

R16 Some members found out on yelp, sadly, or if they checked the app, it let one book their visit by saying, 'your club is now open' or something similar to that.

Equinox is horrible at communication, if you couldn't tell already.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2020 9:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!