Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Murphy teased the American Horror Story Season 10 theme, and fan theories are going WILD

As we predicted, Ryan Murphy has leaked even more American Horror Story Season 10 details mere weeks after posting the much-anticipated cast list on Instagram. Murphy, who obviously likes keeping tension high and dragging out suspense, just gave us yet another hint as to what the upcoming season may be about. And fans are hard at work in the comments trying to piece together a possible theme.

Yesterday, March 10th, Murphy posted a teaser to his Instagram feed. It’s a low-saturated photo of a shoreline, plagued with marsh grass. Two weathered-looking hands claw at the coastline, as if someone is attempting to pull themselves from the ocean below. “American Horror Story 10″ is superimposed on the image in the series’ iconic font.

“Things are beginning to wash up on shore…” Murphy captioned the teaser pic.

Cue the mass hysteria.

If you’ve been playing along with Murphy’s game, you already know that Season 10 of the FX anthology will be taking place somewhere on a coastline. When Murphy debuted the cast list, the names appeared over black-and-white footage of waves crashing on the shore. (Side note: what a cast—amiright?)

Now that these hands are involved, fans are beginning to think “Mermaids?” as one Instagram user wrote on Murphy’s most recent post. Another wrote, “We need Sirens.” If you saw The Lighthouse, you know just how scary sirens can be.

However, if these hands belonged to mermaids or sirens, we have a feeling Murphy, king of monsters, would want them to look a bit more fish-like. Therefore, some fans have offered up other scenarios: “Shipwrecked!” one wrote. Another added, “Ghost ship?”

“Cruise ship turned into stranded island?” one fan offered, adding, “an island that the government use to do experiments on but abandoned the creatures.”

All terrifying, and all perfect potential plots for a season of American Horror Story, if we do say so ourselves.

[quote] Ryan Murphy has seemingly confirmed a coastal setting for "American Horror Story" Season 10. #AHS10 — AHS Daily (@ahsfxdaily) March 10, 2020

This may, in fact, be the year we get American Horror Story: Cruise Ship, or something similar. Fans have been dying to see a season take place on a wrecked/abandoned/ghostly/just-whacked-out-and-weird cruise ship for years, and some theorists have even taken the time to flesh out what a potential season 0n the sea would look like.

YouTube channel Reel Talk crafted a hypothetical “Shipwreck” season back in 2018, although it did say it didn’t believe this would ever happen due to high cost and setting restrictions.

But, Reel Talk included screenshots of comments from fans made in 2018 that even theorized a “Bermuda Triangle” AHS season in which aliens and strange disappearances (and perhaps reappearances) are involved.

If the season went the Bermuda Triangle route, Murphy could connect a potential alien-related plot back to the aliens in AHS: Asylum. Then again, the upcoming season could also connect back to AHS: Roanoke if this Roanoke teaser is finally explored (and explained):

[quote] THROWBACK: “TIDE” — Could this “AHS: Roanoke” teaser be related to the plot of “American Horror Story” Season 10? #AHS — The AHS Zone (@ahszone) March 11, 2020

Murphy could also connect a coastal season to AHS: Coven as well if the 10th season takes place in the seaside town of Salem, Massachusetts. Perhaps we are introduced to another coven of witches, decedents from those hanged during the Salem Witch Trials. And maybe they have to save the town from whatever is lurking in the waters off the coast.

Then again, this season could be a horse of a different color and introduce fresh mayhem and foolishness.

[quote] a murder mystery/detective/the mist vibes season omg we won — arvin (@parkerrpeterr) March 7, 2020

What we know for sure is that American Horror Story Season 10 is going to be connected to the ocean, and someone—or something—is definitely going to be crawling out of it and kicking off a mystery. Think Big Little Lies, but with creatures from the dark lagoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2021 1:22 PM

If this season is anything like Roanoake, it will be absolute SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 1March 11, 2020 10:26 PM

Wow, he used my favorite song by Orville Peck to introduce the cast, loving it!

by Anonymousreply 2March 11, 2020 10:30 PM

I’ve always wanted to see a movie or show about wrecking, where coastal towns lure ships with false lights and signals to crash on the shore and they kill the survivors and make off with all the goods. I couldn’t see the whole season built around it, but maybe a town cursed by it from history?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 11, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] I’ve always wanted to see a movie or show about wrecking, where coastal towns lure ships with false lights and signals to crash on the shore and they kill the survivors and make off with all the goods. I couldn’t see the whole season built around it, but maybe a town cursed by it from history?

It's already been done.

A movie called, "The Fog."

by Anonymousreply 4March 11, 2020 10:57 PM

Our version of The Fog was better, Adrienne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 11, 2020 10:58 PM

It’s the Montauk monster and Plum Island biowarfare animal research facility, dummies.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2020 11:01 PM

What's the Montauk Monster?

Bethenny Frankel?

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2020 5:25 AM

No one likes to see his name in print more than Murphy. Besides Trump. They’re both douche bags.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2020 5:38 AM

Well it wasn’t Amy Fisher, she lived further inland.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2020 5:38 AM

A island of celebrity kids and Kathy Bates. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2020 5:44 AM

I remember the first two seasons that were actually scary and creepy. It's like each season gets worse. The last one was basically Scream Queens. I don't have high expectations.

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2020 5:52 AM

R11 I agree wholeheartedly. I liked the third season until it murdered its own story halfway through, and the series was never good after that.

The only legitimately good aspects of AHS are the marketing campaigns, the opening credits and some still images. Great art direction. But I’ve said since season three it should be called something like American Offense Montage instead because it’s really just a season-long compilation of creepy or offensive vignettes. There’s no story or else a really terribly executed plot, awful dialog, and “horror” is undermined by campiness and sometimes crosses the line of bearable for me. I literally turned off my TV during the Hotel season premiere during a gratuitous ass rape scene that was not scary, and was kind of presented in a sexualized way that just made me feel sick. Haven’t watched it since. No interest.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2020 10:40 AM

[quote] Cue the mass hysteria.

Yeah, totally.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2020 10:56 AM

Jesus. The more rabid AHS fanbase is a bunch of tweens ans teenagers. We have them to thank for the shit show that was 1984. The murders at a summer camp idea was first suggested by AHS fans when Apocalypse was airing. Murphy blatantly steals ideas from fans. That's why he does these teasers. He uses them to get ideas for the story.

When I first saw the latest photo Murphy posted, I thought Jaws, when they found Chrissy's remains on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2020 11:10 AM

Whoops. I lied a little. I did stop watching after the Hotel premiere. But I tuned in to the Apocalypse season because I was so taken by this face. The styling with the eye makeup and the hair made me swoon. I had no idea who Cody Fern was.

So I watched. The season was bad but bearable.

And then the end. The whole season was about an unbeatable, invulnerable son of Satan. All the good and evil forces in the world couldn’t vanquish him. A nuclear holocaust didn’t faze him.

And then in the end he got run over by a Range Rover and the world was saved.

I really think the writing is the very worst of any series that ever actually got produced. The plots and the dialogue (“The stew is...STU?!!!”) are as bad as a RuPaul’s Drag Race parody skit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2020 11:20 AM

Why doesn't FX put this fucking show out of it's misery?

And thus, putting US out of OUR misery, for having to endure this shit?

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2020 4:11 PM

I know no one cares, but I think season 10 is going to be another vampire season, or whatever Gaga was supposed to be in Hotel. Macaulay Culkin looks like a vampire these days, so it wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 5:02 PM

Whatever it is it will suck.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 5:12 PM

I’m sick of Murphy trying to make Adina Porter happen. She’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 5:23 PM

One of the biggest reasons 1984 sucked is that it was very obvious that cutting the number of episodes changed the story arcs and how the season was to play out.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 5:42 PM

R20 I also think it was a case of the writers realizing the camp storyline was too thin to span ten episodes. They started the season giving everyone some kind of sordid backstory then just dropped that mid-season and focused on Leslie Grossman, Angelica Ross and Emma Roberts. Cody Fern's character all but disappeared after episode 5.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2020 5:50 PM

Is there something for Colton?

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2020 6:42 PM

Zombie Natalie Wood.

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2020 6:47 PM

To the Lighthouse. It's going to be Ryan Murphy's salute to Virginia Woolf, except in this version, Mrs. Ramsey (Jessica Lange) will be a ravenous sea monster who will devour Lily Briscoe (Sarah Paulson).

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2020 6:51 PM

PLEASE bring back masturbating Dylan McDermott. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2020 6:57 PM

Title revealed. Two shitty stories in one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2021 3:27 PM

Is any of this thread even relevant anymore?

by Anonymousreply 27March 21, 2021 3:40 PM

27 posts... probably not ^^

by Anonymousreply 28March 21, 2021 9:34 PM

So two stories? I guess they filmed the first one already with that crew in Provincetown and Ryan is begging the names to do part 2 atm? It could not be more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2021 5:14 AM

His shows suck! They start off okay and I lose interest by 3rd or 4th episode. TON of HORRIBLE acting.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2021 5:30 AM

After the first couple of seasons the show fell into the category of all style and no substance.

I have yet to see a season since then that didn't fall apart after the first few episodes and didn't make me regret I wasted my time watching it.

I really believe him splitting the season is his way of finally acknowledging that his ideas can't sustain a whole season.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2021 5:36 AM

I hear G. is desperate to appear in one of Ryan's project. So much so that she'd even agree to do the catering as well.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2021 5:39 AM

Sadly, only N95 masks were allowed on set so G couldn’t offer her catering services for part one. We hope she can afford the appropriate protocol mask for part two.

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2021 5:58 AM

There is nothing to guess here.

Ryan Murphy never knows what he’s doing on AHS, even after it airs.

Season 10 will be a shitshow. The writers will make it up as they go along and constantly change the rules like they always do.

It’s Child Drag Queen Story Hour.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2021 7:09 AM

Oh look. More Hollywood nepotism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote] I’ve always wanted to see a movie or show about wrecking,

While you wait for something new you might check out CB DeMille's take on it. Ray Milland drags it down some but Paulette Goddard is terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2021 3:53 PM

That’s all Ryan Murphy CAN do, R2.

Use your favorite song to trick you into suffering his shit shows.

He has no inherent talent — he always has to co-opt better artists. Even his subjects are just name-dropping famous people removed from him and his own accomplishments.

Now he’s going to use Jeffrey Dahmer for drag queen dress-up hour.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2021 9:19 PM

The Bill Clinton & Monica Lewinsky series will be awards bait once again, but does Netflix simply not care that Murphy continually does his best and most popular work with FOX/FX (911 & 911:Lone Star, AHS, ACS, POSE) and his projects with them fizzle and die quickly? The Politician is a total bust and that was positioned to be his big “commercial” show...

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2021 7:33 AM

This shit is still on?

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2021 8:00 AM

R38, because Netflix lets him do what he wants. FX/Fox try and reign him in and give input.

He focuses on the Netflix projects because he has little supervision. He lets the FX/Fox shows do what they will with whatever team he leaves in charge.

Add into the fact that his network shows actually get promoted better than Netflix ever will be able to and of course Fox is free even without cable.

So his network shows are successful. His Netflix shows, not so much.

Shonda Rhimes didn't get as big of a deal and turned out one show so far that ended up being the most watched show in the history of the platform. Ryan has had multiple opportunities, got more money and couldn't even touch it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2021 8:20 AM

Murphy apparently said it’s like 2 seasons in one calendar year, or two mini seasons. So I’m guessing it’s split and there will be a few months in between. And maybe they’ll end up calling it seasons 10 and 11. I also think by asking fans what they want to see, he’s gathering ideas for the “second feature” of this double feature season. So done.

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2021 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!