Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Distance Teaching

Hey teachers - have you been ordered to teach from home yet? Are we expected to know how to do this, just like that, in the middle of a semester, and will they tolerate a "college try"?

I have had my class "support" materials online for several years, but I don't have online interaction built into any task design.

Also, I dislike teleconferencing of any sort - social or professional - and don't want anyone - students or staff, to be connected to me in my home. Adapt or die I suppose.

Just wondering if anyone has already been forced to do this, and how it's going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 8:41 AM

Good God, OP -- you're acting like this is a brand new thing. What century are you posting from?

I taught online college courses with two software packages: Blackboard and WebCT (later bought out by Blackboard). They're relatively simple to learn and use. Everything is done online, including live discussions. You load your files (mine were PPTs, but I also had YouTubes) and the students can read/watch them.

I'm sure there is better software now -- or you could always use Skype.

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2020 11:16 PM

I'm an adjunct at UCLA and a few other LA schools. I've been told there are some contingency plans in place for remote learning. Some of the GE classes are taught online anyway, so I suspect the transition will be relatively smooth institutionally. MIght take a few instructors to get up to speed on the new technology, and build their courses for online consumption.

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2020 11:16 PM

Our institution uses Canvas while other tools and platforms, such as Zoom, Edmodo, and Google Classroom, have been suggested. I think I might provide students a link to DataLounge to use as an educational resource.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 7:30 AM

We start today. We have to be considerate using video sources, as many students have limited data and several students may be in the same household.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 8:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!