Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do movie twist endings surprise you?

If I hear a movie has a twist, my mind starts looking for clues throughout the movie.

Every time, I figure it out early.

The Sixth Sense and The Crying Game are good examples. So are US and anything by Shymalayan (it however you spell it).

You?

by Anonymousreply 91April 13, 2020 12:32 AM

I hate anything that revolves around the following twists:

1.It was all a dream!

2.Characters you thought were alive were actually ghosts!

3.A character you thought was real was just the figment of another character's imagination!

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2020 5:22 PM

I figured out "The Sixth Sense" twist before the big reveal. I remember Roger Ebert saying on his show that if anyone says they figured out the ending in advance, they're lying. Roger could be an idiot sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2020 5:22 PM

Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2020 5:26 PM

Not a twist ending per say, but the one that really bugs me is where the character is dreaming, and then that bad dream turns out to be a dream too. So they are dreaming that they are dreaming. I'm turning it off after that cheap shot.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2020 5:26 PM

Yes. I did not see the twist to [italic]the Sixth Sense[/italic]. When the kid took the bus to see the dead girl's family, I was think about the psychiatrist: "He can't do that. He's going to lose his license."

I tend to get lost in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2020 5:31 PM

I figured it out after realizing that the Bruce Willis character was only interacting with the kid.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2020 5:36 PM

You saw The Sixth Sense? What the hell for?

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2020 5:45 PM

I figured out Sixth Sense immediately after the picture faded to black after Bruce Willis’ character was shot (or was it stabbed?) I said to my partner “he’s dead!” He wasn’t happy I did that, but we ended up with a different perspective of the movie and could see as it played out that I was correct.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2020 5:51 PM

The Sixth Sense is one of the few times I actually didn’t see the twist coming. Usually I can spot the twists even in the trailer which makes for disappointing moviegoing.

And like you, OP, I hate even reading or hearing there’s a twist because then I’m looking for clues.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2020 6:03 PM

I just watched, “A Good Liar” with Helen Mirren it was a great movie with a psychological twist. Loved it. A little slow at first, but dayum it is great.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2020 6:13 PM

I also didn't guess the twist in Sixth Sense. I thought it was strange how Willis was interacting with the mother but I never figured it out. I really love that movie. It was nearly perfect in every way. The "twist" in Dark Knight Rises was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2020 6:19 PM

I had no idea of the twist ending, but the scene where Cole confesses to his mom in the car about the ghost kills me every time.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2020 6:20 PM

You guessed the twist in US? I’m impressed because that completely shocked me. Did not see it coming at all.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2020 6:22 PM

I didn't figure out the twist in The Village. I just thought they were all wackadoo inbreds. Which they were.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2020 6:24 PM

I figured out the SAW twist at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2020 6:30 PM

The only twist in The Happening was that lousy ending!!!

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2020 6:32 PM

The Crying Game twist was easy to figure out. Even in 1992, actual cis women did not go to London pubs to sing Dusty Springfield songs with elaborate hand gestures.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2020 6:51 PM

I also figured out the twist in Us because the beginning made no sense to me otherwise.

I film where the beginning made no sense but I still was surprised by the ending was The Palm Beach Story. That's probably the funniest twist of all time.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2020 6:53 PM

The Sixth Sense definitely fooled me. Granted, I was a teenager when I watched it.. But still. I actually don't like twisty movies. But I did like that one.

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2020 3:03 AM

The twist in The Others shocked me. I also had no clue about US but I did wonder why she would not kill her double.

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2020 3:10 AM

The new movie The Invisible Man has a surprise twist ending - didn't know it was going to happen but see it for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2020 3:51 AM

Has anyone seen The Visit? It's one of the craziest twists that EmKnight ShamalanDingDong ever came up with.

by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2020 5:40 AM

I'm still pretty confused by The Usual Suspects.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2020 5:44 AM

[quote]in 1992, actual cis women did not call themselves "cis women."

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2020 7:04 AM

The ending for Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" blew my mind.

by Anonymousreply 25March 6, 2020 7:04 AM

The movie Hidden has a good twist and was made by the Duffer (?) Brothers before their Stanger Things success.

Spoiler Alexander Skarsgard and his family hide in a bunker after some kind of Zombie apocalypse and it later turns out they're really the ones who are dangerous and infected, not the "bad guys" chasing them. Zombie movie with a twist.

by Anonymousreply 26March 6, 2020 8:30 AM

Anyone see the trailer for that Sarah paulson movie where she looks like a nutso Munchausen mom? I have a weird feeling that the twist is going to be that the daughter is the crazy one.

by Anonymousreply 27March 6, 2020 8:43 AM

Call me a dummy but I was convinced that the twist in Sleeping with the Enemy would be that Julia Roberts new piece was really her Ex husband who underwent plastic surgery to fool her. I was slightly dissapointed that I was wrong. It would have been way more fun.

by Anonymousreply 28March 6, 2020 8:47 AM

R2, I love Ebert, but I did actually figure out the ending twist when I saw it. The two main things that tipped me off - what the opening scene had to do with the rest of the movie, and the restaurant scene with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 29March 6, 2020 8:54 AM

I got the Sixth Sense twist before the reveal- but not by much. I think, it’s been a while nice I’ve seen it.

It was during the part where the kid was in the hospital (after the birthday party closet attack?) and the doctor was talking to the mom and asking her questions about Cole, and I was wondering why he didn’t ask Bruce Willis anything. As the kid’s therapist, he might have been able to help, but they never talked to him. That got me thinking about the rest of the movie and that I hadn’t seen anyone talking to him or interacting with him at all, except Cole- the kid who could see ghosts.

It was a pretty big, ‘oh shit’ moment and I think the first big twist of any movie I’d seen. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 30March 6, 2020 8:57 AM

Sleepaway Camp ending surprised me. I saw it when I was a kid and was actually like wtf? Angela’s creepy open mouthed face along with the growly noise she made was scary as shit.

by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2020 9:00 AM

If Bruce Willis is a ghost and obviously cannot receive phone calls, how did he know about Cole having trouble at school and being in the hospital? It never bothered him that his wife never responded while living in the same house with her?

by Anonymousreply 32March 6, 2020 9:12 AM

The only movie whose ending truly surprised was Argentina's Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens).

by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2020 9:13 AM

The Visit did surprise me. I thought the grandparents were just weird.

by Anonymousreply 34March 6, 2020 12:46 PM

Just saw "The Lodge". Repent!

by Anonymousreply 35March 6, 2020 12:51 PM

A radio deejay ruined the Sixth Sense ending for me before I saw it. I always wonder if I would have figured it out or not.

by Anonymousreply 36March 6, 2020 1:16 PM

The original Planet of the Apes ending fucked with my little 8 year old mind.

by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2020 1:17 PM

I would have been surprised by Orphan, but everybody was talking about "the huge twist" and how it completely blew their minds so I couldn't resist. I had to get on Wikipedia and read what it was before I saw the movie in theaters. I still enjoyed it just the same.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2020 1:25 PM

I’m very susceptible to twists. The twist in Cabin the Woods blew my mind. Game of Thrones worked like a charm. Sixth Sense, Crying Game. Even when I suspect there is a twist coming I.e. Get Out, I never predict the correct twist. I’m glad I get to enjoy these and not sit there being superior for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2020 1:28 PM

I knew The Sixth Sense twist the minute the kid gave the "I see dead people" speech, when he mentioned the dead didn't even realize they were dead. (However, that didn't make me enjoy the movie even less.) The twist in The Visit, on the other hand, did catch me off guard.

The twist in the current Invisible Man surprised me.

As for older movies, I agree about Planet of the Apes hitting like a jolt - and I also remember when I saw Psycho on TV when I was a kid. In fact that entire movie - starting with Marion's death and then Arbogast, and climaxing with Liela finding Mother in the fruit cellar - was as unsettling as anything I've ever seen.

Also Brian DePalma's Obsession (although my excuse for being surprised was that I was young when I saw it).

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2020 1:33 PM

I guess you could consider the ending for the original Friday the 13th shocking, if you watched it with no knowledge of Jason or the franchise. The premise for the first movie is pretty cut and dry: Pamela Voorhees has a breakdown after her son dies at camp, and goes on a killing spree, targeting camp counselors. She eventually meets her end at the hands of Final Girl Alice and that feels like it should be the end of it, a standard slasher plot. Then the movie takes a supernatural turn, with Jason emerging from the lake to attack Alice. As I said, if you had no knowledge of the franchise, it would probably be a twist you never saw coming!!

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2020 1:39 PM

I figured out the twist in The Village just watching the trailer. But I can kind of figure out R. Night's stuff anyway.

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2020 1:46 PM

Ready or Not was legit surprising. The whole movie I kept switching back and forth trying to figure out if the Le Domas family deal with the devil was real or just crazy superstitious rich people with way too much time on their hands....

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2020 1:57 PM

The Others is one I had figured out just from the trailer. In fact I was surprised people were being blown away by a “twist” - I though it was pretty straightforward what was going on.

Shutter Island is another one I knew what was going on just from the trailer. In fact I was irritated by that one because it was so predictable to me. I feel like anyone who ever watched Twilight Zone would be able to figure these out right away.

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2020 2:10 PM

Identity (2003) has an abrupt twist ending that almost made me throw my remote at the TV.

Yellowbrickroad (2010), while I generally liked the movie and the premise (it's a low budget flick) - the very end of the movie was frustratingly lame and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 45March 7, 2020 3:53 AM

I was fairly surprised by that Elizabeth Olsen film when she was trapped inside the house going nuts. I'm too lazy to google the title.

by Anonymousreply 46March 7, 2020 3:57 AM

Last Christmas gave away everything in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 47March 7, 2020 4:02 AM

R46 Silent House. It's a remake of a Spanish film. of course, the original is always better but I thought the remake was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 48March 8, 2020 3:10 AM

R27, and my guess is Paulson probably stole her kid as a baby from someone else and is passing her off as her own.

by Anonymousreply 49March 8, 2020 3:30 AM

Did De Palma even try with Dressed to Kill? Was anyone fooled by that twist? I really love the movie, but certainly no one was shocked when the killer reveal happened, right?

by Anonymousreply 50March 8, 2020 3:30 AM

De Palma gave a good twist in Body Double. It's a bit Scooby Doo with the mask being pulled off and everything, but I didn't see it coming. Speaking of Scooby Doo endings, was anyone surprised by the batshit crazy ending of Happy Birthday to Me? I can't remember much about that movie except for the insane ending that also involves a mask being ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 51March 8, 2020 3:32 AM

There's a terrific French horror movie called High Tension that's absolutely brilliant and terrifying until the final twist which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I have no idea what the filmmakers were thinking when they thought that up. Up until that point, it was one of the most suspenseful and brutal movies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 52March 8, 2020 3:33 AM

At the end of Funny Girl when Nick walks out on Fanny. Nobody walks out on Babs. But then it was her first movie and she didn't have creative control. I was shocked all the same.

by Anonymousreply 53March 8, 2020 3:43 AM

Disney's Snow White. This will only make sense if you have heard of that bizarre but oddly believable Reddit theory....

by Anonymousreply 54March 8, 2020 2:34 PM

What’s the theory, r54?

by Anonymousreply 55March 8, 2020 2:47 PM

It doesn't really matter to me if I figure out the twist.

To me a movie is about the execution, not the surprise. I want to enjoy the journey because that's the sign of a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 56March 8, 2020 2:50 PM

R55 Basically the theory is that Snow White actually died after eating the poison apple, and that the Prince really wasn't a prince at all, but some form of Death, who gave her the kiss of Death. That would also mean that the bright glowing castle that the two ride off to at the end was actually Heaven.. This also ties into their first meeting, when the Prince showed up after Snow White nearly fell into a well. Its a really dark theory that oddly makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 57March 8, 2020 3:00 PM

Apparently Reddit kids haven't read the source material of Snow White.

by Anonymousreply 58March 8, 2020 5:08 PM

That's an interesting read of Snow White, but yes, that's just the original fairy tale for the most part. It'd be interesting to see a version that really embraced that concept, though.

by Anonymousreply 59March 8, 2020 9:16 PM

Yeah, pretty much every fairy tale is much darker then the child friendly ones that are more filtered. I think the whole point of the Snow White theory was that something so dark may have played out in a Disney movie. But then again, the Evil Queen did meet her end by falling off a cliff, getting crushed by a boulder, then eaten by circling vultures so.....

by Anonymousreply 60March 8, 2020 9:27 PM

The ending of Gone with the Wind shocked me, I never thought that Scarlett would lose her man!

by Anonymousreply 61March 8, 2020 9:40 PM

In the original story, the evil queen was her birth mother, not stepmother and she ordered the entrails of Snow White to be cooked once she was presented with them. She also tries to kill her 3 times (which really makes Snow White look like a dumbass), and the queen's death is being forced to wear iron shoes that have been placed in the fire and dance until she dies. Dark shit! I'd like to see that movie, although it makes sense to condense the queen's murder attempts to just the apple.

by Anonymousreply 62March 8, 2020 9:44 PM

Just watched some crappy Netflix horror movie The Open House. Some friends kept telling me how bad it was, but I was SHOCKED to find out it was even worse!!

by Anonymousreply 63March 8, 2020 9:53 PM

What pisses me off is when critics tell you there is a twist, so you go into the movie trying to figure out what it is... That isn't fair!

by Anonymousreply 64March 8, 2020 9:59 PM

R63 yup, that was one of the most pointless movies I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 65March 9, 2020 1:23 AM

Roger Ebert (RIP) said something like (I'm paraphrasing here) "People always complain that I give away the ending to all thrillers. Here's the ending for every thriller: the killer gets killed"

by Anonymousreply 66March 9, 2020 1:37 AM

R65 I feel like Dylan Minnette is cursed. So many of the characters he plays tend to meet violent ends or go through hell. Either that or he just enjoys doing Death Scenes.....

by Anonymousreply 67March 9, 2020 1:05 PM

The ending of Along Came A Spider shocked me. I didn't see it coming that Monica Potter was the true primary antagonist.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2020 3:32 AM

The ending of Thoroughly Modern Millie. That was a shocker. I didn't feel happy for her I felt betrayed.

by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2020 3:39 AM

True Confession:

I went to see The Crying Game with a female friend. It was just after I moved home after living on London for awhile. Throughout the film I was constantly whispering to her, "I know that place! It's a gay pub near where I lived." "Boy, if she sings that song one half-step lower she'd have to get a sex change to do it!" I saw and commented on every single clue all along the way -And I still didn't add it all up. I go into plays and movies so willing to suspend my disbelief that I seldom see the big twists coming...

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2020 3:40 AM

Once I know there’s a twist ending, I will figure out what it is early on.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2020 3:48 AM

[quote] I figured it out after realizing that the Bruce Willis character was only interacting with the kid.

But they had that great fake-out with the wife in the restaurant, where it seems like they’re interacting with each other.

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2020 4:15 AM

I was so pissed off at the end of Phantom Thread where I was waiting for what clearly was supposed to be a surprise, only to realize I'd figured out the "twist" an hour or so earlier.

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2020 4:17 AM

Not much anymore. Most types of endings have been done too many times for me to fall for it. Especially if I go into a movie KNOWING it has a twist.

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2020 4:22 AM

It's not a Reddit theory, it's a long-standing interpretation of the original Snow White story.

When I was an English Lit major my advisor taught a class on fairy tale literature that for some reason a bunch of Education majors decided to take one semester, and these frauen-in-training were LIVID at the sexual and violent content of the original tales, and complained so much they got her censured by the Dean of the College of Education, and the whole university was "???" because how can someone who isn't her dean and isn't even in her college censure her?

One of the upset Ed majors was a girl I'd gone to junior high with, and that bitch had been IN MY HOUSE when we were 13 and read my parent's collection of original fairy tales INCLUDING SNOW WHITE which is the one she was shocked and astonished about. We got into a big fight about it and she cried a lot, it's one of my favorite college memories.

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2020 4:23 AM

The Usual Suspects!

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote] In the original story, the evil queen was her birth mother, not stepmother

No. In the original story by the Brothers Grimm, “Sneewittchen,” Snow White’s birth mother wishes for a daughter with skin as white as snow, etc, but then dies in childbirth. Snow White’s father marries the woman who becomes the evil queen a year later, so the queen is the only mother she’s known, but she is not the woman who gave birth to her.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2020 6:22 AM

Oh God... this is so hard for me to even type....from that James Camero movie. When the Titanic sank. I was entirely annihilated. (smirk whilst spooning Haagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream.)

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2020 7:07 AM

My favorite kind of twist is character twists... When the person you're led to believe is the good guy turns out to be the bad guy, and vice versa... or the victim turns out to actually be the villain and their victim is the person you thought was the villain.

The perfect example is my favorite movie with twist ending of all time: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, when it's revealed that Jane has been Blanche's victim all this time, and Blanche, herself, was responsible for the accident that crippled her.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2020 7:27 AM

R79, Edward Norton’s first movie (where he’s in jail and pretends to be a good guy) did surprise me when he turned out to be faking everything. Norton did an amazing job

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2020 1:35 PM

Roger Ebert had a lot of commonsense rules for things to look out for in a movie. One of them is something like economy of character, meaning, why is this character here and what is their purpose to the plot. Along those same lines, if a big name is in a smallish role, then they are the one to watch out for.

For example, I recently saw a Ccoma for the first time in decades, and when I saw that Richard Widmark was playing a small role as the chief of surgery, it made me start thinking, why is he playing this role… What about the character sold him on taking this part, and of course, spoiler alert, it turned out the part had a twist...

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2020 2:29 PM

I totally didn't see the ending of Along Came A Spider coming. I had no idea the Monica Potter character was behind everything.

by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2020 12:57 AM

Yhjr

by Anonymousreply 83April 11, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote]Do surprise endings surprise you?

Tapping foot.....

by Anonymousreply 84April 11, 2020 1:10 AM

The end of Multiple Maniacs completely surprised me! I never saw it coming!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 11, 2020 1:10 AM

R81 My husband and I call that the Laurie Metcalf school of casting. In Scream 2 she had such a small and insignificant role we couldn't figure out why she took it until the end.

by Anonymousreply 86April 11, 2020 3:15 PM

I'm normally very sensitive to that, r86, but for some reason I was surprised by Laurie Metcalf in that. I just knew they couldn't possibly choose the boyfriend (even though it looked like it was him briefly) because they weren't going to repeat the same solution from the first one.

The "Laurie Metcalf School of Casting" shows up especially in episodes of "Murder She Wrote" - they always have lots of guest stars, but if there is one who's just a little starrier than the others, you can bet they are the killer. That would happen occasionally on Perry Mason, too.

by Anonymousreply 87April 12, 2020 10:58 AM

I knew going into Crying Game that there was a twist, but that the lady was a dude seemed so obvious I assumed the fabled twist was something else.

by Anonymousreply 88April 12, 2020 11:20 AM

Beautiful Mind completely fooled me though.

by Anonymousreply 89April 12, 2020 11:21 AM

I figured out The Sixth Sense, The Crying Game & The Village.

BTW I try to avoid coming attractions because i thinks movies are meant to be seen "cold," without anyone telling you what it's about. When I'm in a theater & they're shown, I close my eyes so as not to ruin a movie for me. i don't need someone or a studio what to look out for, and most previous don't understand that less is more.

Someone above mocked Dressed to Kill, but I don't think that twist such as it was was meant to be a "surprise" because there were a couple of images in the movie with Michael Caine with mirrors, and sometimes mirrors suggest split personalities. (Psycho did the same thing.) I presumed DePalma meant that as a wink to the audience - which made me enjoy the movie even more.

by Anonymousreply 90April 12, 2020 2:20 PM

I figured out the Village during the commercials

by Anonymousreply 91April 13, 2020 12:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!