Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

K-pop

It's actually pretty fun. I'm getting into it. Lots of gay baiting.

Give it a try.

"Um, OP, I'm not a 12-year-old girl." OK, Boomer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121Last Wednesday at 6:16 AM

A lighter, super catchy song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103/05/2020

It’s music for children.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2020

I use it for cardio often. Spotify.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2020

Japanese pop is better.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2020

I enjoy the gay "skinship" (touching, etc.) the idols always engage in for fan service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503/05/2020

They look hot but I'm still waiting for J-pop to make a comeback :(

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2020

R1, those guys look waaay better than the fugs in BTS.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2020

I love how K-pop groups promote on reality and variety shows, and have lots of YouTube and live streaming (V LIVE app) content. It's fun and immersive.

This was a good one. They do anal swabs in this first episode in the course of getting a food handling business license.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 803/05/2020

Captions in English are available.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2020

The choreography is incredibly difficult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2020

Trash loves trash

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2020

R11, it's not trash. It's fun.

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2020

R4, any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2020

It's adorable and crazy catchy. Thanks op.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2020

I don't think any of them will reach the level of Psy.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2020

Psy is the real thing. KPop is manufactured boy band stuff. Or girl band. If you liked Menudo or Backstreet Boys it’s for you

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2020

So cute - The Boyz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2020

Going through my Shazam list. I heard this in Vegas and it turns out it’s K-pop. Pretty catchy and cute. Amazing choreography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1804/30/2020

Sorry meant to post this link. It’s damn cute and a nice escape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1904/30/2020

Conveyor belt shit for kids with underdeveloped tastes.

by Anonymousreply 2004/30/2020

I never understood criticizing ANY type of music.

If you don’t like it, fine, but does that mean what you like is automatically “better”? R20 says it’s conveyor belt shit for kids with underdeveloped tastes. So what does one who enjoys this music have to leave it for that wouldn’t be conveyor belt? And what makes it better than just for kids?

And how does one get to the place where his tastes are developed instead of underdeveloped? Do I have to check with R20 and ask him if I pass the test? It’s just fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2104/30/2020

R20, actually give it a listen if possible.

Also, it’s more than the music: it’s very immersive with multiplatform content and engagement (TV and YouTube reality shows, live-streams on VLIVE, variety shows, music shows (think American Bandstand), merchandising including albums with photobooks and lightsticks, fan forums, etc.). You really get to know thoroughly the material surface of their lives: where they live (their dorms), schedules, possessions, consumption habits including travel.

It’s can be a fun distraction.

by Anonymousreply 2204/30/2020

There are six “American Bandstand”-type shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2304/30/2020

This article has an overview of the impressive multiplatform immersion, including interactive elements (as in the live-streams).

[quote] K-pop artists offer more content than albums and music videos. Online concerts, reality shows, livestreams and more have all been produced for fans to watch voraciously. This seemingly endless content is even more appealing in the time of COVID-19, so I have compiled a list of some K-pop activities you can try to forget about the outside world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2404/30/2020

The group at OP last night on a competition show. Very impressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2504/30/2020

The most soulless music ever

by Anonymousreply 2604/30/2020

I don't think I'm drawn to any music that appeals to people because it's "cute". K-pop and J-pop strike me as soulless products cynically aimed at the female teen market - hence, all the shipping and sexless gay-baiting.

by Anonymousreply 2704/30/2020

Way too Hello Kitty for me.

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2020

This is arguably the most significant piece in the last decade. Allusions include those to Ursula Le Guin, the Sewol ferry disaster, Snowpiercer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2020

R26, do you have a degree in soul? Please tell us what the minimum level of soul is so that we can avoid soulless music.

Shouldn’t be difficult if you’re an expert in soul.

by Anonymousreply 3004/30/2020

One of the huge K-Pop stars is a young guy named Si-wan Im, he was in a boyband called ZE:A Five. He's moved into acting and I just did a movie he's the star of. He's a lovely guy and I think the film might get released here and could get some notice. It's about the 1947 Boston Marathon and is a Rocky/Cinderella type story. What's not to like!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2020

[R30] Yeah I have a degree in soul. Music inspired, written, produced and sang by talented songwriters, artiste and singers instead of plastic soulless sugary pop drivel churned out by mega corporations sang by plastic soulless puppets who end up suiciding.

by Anonymousreply 3204/30/2020

R32, I think, has a chip on his shoulder about certain things.

R18/R19 - Soobin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3305/01/2020

R32, why do you include Motown artists in your list? It's no different from K-pop companies.

by Anonymousreply 3405/01/2020

[R33] Gurl please, you must either be a tween girl who gets moist by watching these sexless twinks or a rice queen pedo with an Asian ladyboy fetish.

Gurl, I ain't got time to school you in good quality music. Use Pandora, Spotify etc to improve upon your shitty taste in music

by Anonymousreply 3505/01/2020

R34 Gurl there is a difference. Motown was an African American record label which revolutionized and had a huge impact on popular music whilst Kpop is just garbage produced by three mega companies in South Korea.

They are just a plastic copy of African American contemporary music like Michael Jackson , Chris Brown, hiphop

by Anonymousreply 3605/01/2020

So awful.

by Anonymousreply 3705/01/2020

Bless your heart, OP.

At least it's not Cardi B.

by Anonymousreply 3805/01/2020

[quote] Motown was an African American record label which revolutionized and had a huge impact on popular music

Someone doesn't know his/her music history! Yeah, don't believe sepia-toned biopics staring Denzel et al. Motown's huge impact was setting up a factory system, akin to Tin Pan Alley, but for African-American artists. The singers didn't write the music: in-house writers did (K-pop uses writers from all over, including those Swedes). The singers were scouted talent that the company plugged into its system to churn out groups and polished soloists, their images completely calculated and contrived.

Cf. Motown, Tin Pan Alley was revolutionary, in that it created an efficient system for synthesizing music. It was as revolutionary and artificial as Nutrasweet was for Coke. K-pop adds amazing visuals and choreography. Motown was just Pepsi with Splenda (another variety of pop music with a souped-up version of Tin Pan Alley's system plugged-in).

[quote] The black pioneers of rock-and-roll were not giving America unfettered race testimony or self-expression. They were giving America calculated entertainment in bright racial Technicolor. Rock-and-roll was show business. To secure a mass audience it had to appeal to young blacks across class lines: be funky but suave too; primal, then languid, then ironic. And it had to lure young whites across both class lines and the great racial divide: it had to be exotic enough to thrill them but familiar enough to make them feel at home.

[quote] No one managed this feat with more efficiency or more panache than Berry Gordy. He started Motown Records in Detroit in 1959, called it Hitsville and went on to generate an unbroken string of hit records, beginning in the early 1960's and extending into the early 70's, a decade when the youth culture was in flower.

[quote] Some black performers like Ike and Tina Turner and Etta James played rhythm-and-blues rock, with its aura of back roads and mean streets and rough sex. Others like Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin and Curtis Mayfield played soul-rock, with its melodrama (I yearn, I burn, I cajole, I tease, I strut, I conquer, I beg, I weep, I curse) and its love of Latin-tinged beats and gospel phrasings. Motown groups like the Supremes, the Temptations and the Miracles drew on these styles. But they drew on the pop song conventions of Tin Pan Alley: streamlined emotions, stories told in crisp rhythms, clean patches of melody and neatly resolved rhymes and images.

[quote] ... Oh, please, Mr. Gordy, you want to say. You were the founder and ruler of Motown: you oversaw the invention of an American sound and style, you made millions of dollars doing it, you made and unmade careers as you saw fit. In your way you were as important as that other assembly-line autocrat from Detroit, Henry Ford. You have been revered, obeyed and imitated. Must you insist on being loved as well?

[quote] ... Ziegfeld proclaimed his follies a national institution dedicated to "glorifying the American girl." With equal canniness and equal grandiosity, Mr. Gordy called Motown "the sound of young America." He got it by standardizing the style of the American Negro Teen and colorizing the style of the American All-White Teen. And while it lasted, that sound was glorious fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3905/01/2020

[quote] They are just a plastic copy of African American contemporary music like Michael Jackson , Chris Brown, hiphop

And that's not plastic? Please. How naive.

by Anonymousreply 4005/01/2020

R40 OK you can go back to sucking their egg roll dick rice queen

by Anonymousreply 4105/01/2020

Ok wokester

by Anonymousreply 4205/01/2020

BBC documentary. It was nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4305/01/2020

Gay club scandal - 4 stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4405/19/2020

K-popers are the most annoying stans you'll find. Kpop is irritating. Jpop is way more sophisticated even in terms of music.

by Anonymousreply 4505/19/2020

I like the combination of the music, dancing, image concepts, and music videos. The dancing among the boys in particular is excellent. That said, I do love this one from the girl group Twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4605/19/2020

Does Bi Rain still perform?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4705/20/2020

Yet South Korea is still really homophobic.

There's nothing progressive in this music.

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2020

[quote] There's nothing progressive in this music.

WTF...?

by Anonymousreply 4905/20/2020

[quote] OK, Boomer.

I'm neither a 12 year old nor a boomer, cunt

by Anonymousreply 5005/20/2020

Um, OP, Im not a 12 yrs old girl.

by Anonymousreply 5105/20/2020

Um, OP, Im not a 12 yrs old girl.

by Anonymousreply 5205/20/2020

OP, I'm not a 12 year old girl

by Anonymousreply 5305/20/2020

I made fun of this manufactured pop too, then I started watching in lockdown. I am a fucking fan now, the songs are catchy and there are some hot guy dancers. Watch EXO before you condemn it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5405/20/2020

Reading comprehension, R50-R53.

by Anonymousreply 5505/20/2020

For R54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5605/20/2020

I'm not a Boomer, or a 12-year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 5705/20/2020

Reading comprehension is important. So many morons don’t know how to parse language. 😂

by Anonymousreply 5805/20/2020

Pedo thread.

by Anonymousreply 5905/20/2020

For the life of me, I will never understand teenage girls who have crushes on these Kpop bands who look like girls. There is nothing masculine about their appearance. It's like they are emasculated.

by Anonymousreply 6005/20/2020

Soobin loves you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6105/20/2020

seizure inducing

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2020

R60, part of it may be neoteny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2020

R60.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6405/20/2020

Kai will fuck the faces of all the haters

by Anonymousreply 6505/20/2020

^^^ Mr. Kai

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6605/20/2020

This is what the high-IQ countries are listening to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6705/20/2020

R67 is third generation. This is 4th, the current emerging generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6805/20/2020

For the Kai fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6905/21/2020

These fan-made stage mixes are so cool. What program do they use?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2020

I need to find more 20-something groups, the teen dancers are too pedoriffic. Looking at you, BTS.

by Anonymousreply 7105/21/2020

Baekho from Nuest is my favorite Kpop guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7205/21/2020

R72 🤩 hes HOT

by Anonymousreply 7305/21/2020

Check our the Big Tiddie Committee. Baekho is a member.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7405/21/2020

Why are there always like 20 guys in each k-pop group?

by Anonymousreply 7505/21/2020

Here’s a selection of male idols.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7605/21/2020

R75, it’s more like 5 to 10. It casts a wider net: the more members, the more likely a prospective fan will find one whom they really like.

by Anonymousreply 7705/21/2020

That fan clip - that could not have been easy - unless each show they were on used the same camera angles for everything. the transitions are almost perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7805/21/2020

R71, perhaps Monsta X.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7905/21/2020

Nothing can make them interesting.

by Anonymousreply 8005/21/2020

I really like the survival shows. 100 girls/boys whittled down to create a new group. The opening numbers are great. The stage design is amazing.

This has all the opening numbers from Produce Korea, Japan, and China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8105/21/2020

They're so beautifully androgynous.

You know they all have smooth hairless bodies with the exception of their wiry pubes and squeaky clean buttholes!

by Anonymousreply 8205/21/2020

R82, pretty sure they're lasering a lot more down there now. I love that they're genetically incapable of having conventional BO (cf. eating too much picked stuff).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8305/22/2020

Vox: A beginner’s guide to K-pop

Why you should be listening — and watching and dancing — to the vast, immersive landscape of Korean pop music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8405/22/2020

I guess most Americans don't give a fuck about Kpop and this thread proves it. What? 84 replies in 5 weeks

by Anonymousreply 8505/22/2020

The latest big deal competition show, Road to Kingdom. Pretty spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8605/22/2020

[quote]I never understood criticizing ANY type of music.

It's not music. The auditory equivalent of a pop tart.

by Anonymousreply 8705/22/2020

R87, that’s all pop music. There’s more to it than the audio, actually. The dancing is often amazing, as are the visual aspects, including the videos and performances.

by Anonymousreply 8805/22/2020

MTE, r2.

K-Pop and a lot of South Korean entertainment in general these days, is very Ottoman.

by Anonymousreply 8905/22/2020

Can you be any more opaque, R89.

by Anonymousreply 9005/22/2020

[quote] Also, it’s more than the music: it’s very immersive with multiplatform content and engagement (TV and YouTube reality shows, live-streams on VLIVE, variety shows, music shows (think American Bandstand), merchandising including albums with photobooks and lightsticks, fan forums, etc.). You really get to know thoroughly the material surface of their lives: where they live (their dorms), schedules, possessions, consumption habits including travel.

Reminds of *NSYNC fandom, only 100 times more creepy & intrusive. No wonder these poor little dancing dolls all top themselves or end up lobotomised.

by Anonymousreply 9105/22/2020

OP, you’re basic and that’s ok. However many of us here are typically SUBculturally gay, meaning we demand a certain degree of gritty emotion, messy bloody theatrics, high-camp and conceptual costumery in our pop - more than drone-like immaculate trendy Asian chart-toppers can provide.

Visual-Kei was and is an Asian musical style designed by and for the outsiders in LGB. Musically, a loose equivalent to Western Goth-rock stirred with elements of gay-club Industrial, Neoclassical & operatic Metal; visually, Baroque in a glam-punk style.

If one is unmoved by Malice Mizer’a ‘Le Ciel’, one must question whether one is in fact actually gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9205/22/2020

R46 I SECOND TWIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9305/22/2020

New Blackpink album in June. Gaga has a song with them I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9405/22/2020

Cuties. The good song starts at 1:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9505/22/2020

Cuties?? They look under 12. Is this a pedo thread?

by Anonymousreply 9605/23/2020

R96, East Asians age differently: R63, R64. They’re adults in their early 20s.

That said, calling even those underage “cute” is by default innocent. Calling someone underage “hot” isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 9705/23/2020

Dyed hair, plastic surgery, makeup and robo-pop. Fascinating (and not in a good way).

by Anonymousreply 9805/23/2020

I like the black masks they always wear. I’m ordering some on eBay from Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9905/23/2020

Gave it a chance for a couple of years in College, but then Jonghyun & Sulli both killed themselves in quick succession and the whole thing felt distasteful. I don’t feel I’m missing much as I’ve always been more comfortable listening to genres of music composed and performed by adults for adults, and with a view to longevity - in particular metal & folk - over pop.

It is still enjoyable to watch Victoria Song dance, I will admit. She’s Chinese and in her 30s, though, so is she cancelled?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10005/25/2020

OP is either a pedo or a tween. Most of the posts on this thread are from it. "Thanks OP" is from OP.

Kpop is a crappy music for little girls or pervs.

by Anonymousreply 10105/25/2020

I was suppose to go to the BTS show on Wednesday but Corona had to fuck that up.

by Anonymousreply 10205/25/2020

What's not to like? A bunch of good looking kids with catchy tunes, great style and perfect skin.

Also their music videos are far better than the lame shit american musicians come up with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10305/25/2020

[quote] better than the lame shit american musicians come up with.

R103...does know that much of the music, production and presentation for these groups is handled by American & European writers/producers/designers, right?

If you were wondering what happened to all those people working in the resurgent years of commercial Western pop & hiphop in the 2000s (all that rubbish you saw constantly on MTV-TRL), well, now you know. In Art you often must go where the commissions are, regrettably.

by Anonymousreply 10405/25/2020

[quote] better than the lame shit american musicians come up with.

R103...does know that much of the music, production and presentation for these groups is handled by American & European writers/producers/designers, right?

If you were wondering what happened to all those people working in the resurgent years of commercial Western pop & hiphop in the 2000s (all that rubbish you saw constantly on MTV-TRL), well, now you know. In Art you often must go where the commissions are, regrettably.

by Anonymousreply 10505/25/2020

Road to Kingdom’s been pretty fun. New episode on Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10605/25/2020

The South Korean music industry might commission American/European directors/producers/photographers to make their music videos. But I am pretty sure the South Koreans have a saying as to how the music videos should look. American musicians tend to make videos where you see half naked women twerk to some lame shit.

by Anonymousreply 10705/25/2020

R100 Wing's version of Dancing Queen is way better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10805/25/2020

Twinky pixie music.

NO THANKS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10905/25/2020

All K-Pop boy bands sound like Usher reading an Asian restaurant menu to synthesized beats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11005/25/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11105/25/2020

I'm kinda getting into BLACKPINK. I can hear influences of Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, with the rap parts sounding a bit like Cardi B, Iggy Azalea and Niki Minaj.

Lady Gaga's Chromatica has a track with Blackpink. It would be interesting to hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112Last Tuesday at 1:47 AM

Queens of Kpop Girls Generation bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113Last Tuesday at 4:28 AM

Where are they manufactured?

by Anonymousreply 114Last Tuesday at 9:38 AM

I like Asian men, heck I married one, but these look like little boys trying to be little girls. Music and dancing are really good but to childlike for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Tuesday at 10:59 AM

They're homo-social (friends only with the same sex), and affection is OK. I like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116Last Tuesday at 8:26 PM

I think of KPop like musicals. There’s a lot of junk but the best ones shine. Everything’s scripted and melodramatic, with great dancing and catchy songs. You just have to find the right group for you.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Tuesday at 8:32 PM

Subtitles. So sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118Last Tuesday at 8:34 PM

Just one more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119Last Tuesday at 8:37 PM

Burn the manufacturer.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Wednesday at 5:55 AM

Bunch of homophobes. J-Pop is better.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Wednesday at 6:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!