Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds

Finally broke down and bought a pair (Tozo 6) for a long trip at the end of this month. However, I've been reading stories of people losing their buds on airplanes, which has made me a bit nervous. Any of you have any strategies for minimizing that possibility?

I tried them at home, and quite satisfied with the sound quality. I would be using the most them for audio books, with the occasional video. Supposed to last about 5 hours listening time, and one hour to charge in the box. I don't make all that many voice calls so that aspect of their capabilities relatively unimportant.

Thanks in advance for input!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2020 5:36 PM

When you are not using them, keep them in their case. It's really that simple. I use mine at the gym and I don't like that they tend to pop out when I'm busting ass on the treadmill.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2020 6:19 AM

I want a pair that is noise cancelling but can't really afford the 250$ Apple ones. Any alternatives? I love being cord free.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2020 6:56 AM

Those Apple earbuds are one of the ugliest things I've ever seen: it makes guys look like they're wearing earrings or something, with those sticks looking out of their ears. At least the pair OP got look normal.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2020 7:51 AM

The best noise cancelers are the ones that look like headphones from the 1970s (sans wire of course). Shop for good brands and get the hard case (extra charge) . I wear mine shamelessly at the beach, where I bring them - case and all - so they don’t get sandy, and at the gym, where I leave the case in the car and walk in with them on. Bonus, I don’t have to engage in silly chitchat or gym bunny hellos at the reception area.

I used to have the black buds - no white Apple earrings for me - and the volume was never enough plus they kept popping out, especially at the gym. Plus, people love stealing those when you leave the case unattended. Screw that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2020 8:23 AM

Link won’t work, sorry. It’s an Amazon page that would need my password for you to see - tried just using the picture. Oh wait:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2020 8:28 AM

My solution for avoiding losing/misplacing my ear buds was to buy the expensive Apple ones. At that price, I'm always very conscious of their location.

I don't think they look bad, but then, I live in an area (and go to a gym) where they're ubiquitous, so I've gotten used to their appearance. And they sound great.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2020 8:31 AM

Apple earbuds never stay in my ears. I’ve come to terms with that.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2020 8:33 AM

Helm earbuds. Great design, they stay in, excellent sound, long range, good charging...and they don't have that wanker airpod look.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2020 8:45 AM

Apple earbuds are the only ones that stay in my ears! (My ears are very small.)

Apple is genius for making these very expensive things that people contantly lose. Like their glass-encased phones. Make an expensive product that’s insanely vulnerable to loss or breakage. Profit beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2020 8:48 AM

Don’t fall asleep with them on! My pups chewed them right up including the case.

I keep them in a silicone sleeve and always in a zippered pocket or drawer so they don’t slip out. Be careful putting them in hoodies or pockets that might wind up in the laundry!

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2020 4:42 PM

keep them in the case when not in use.

use one of those cords for sunglasses with loops on the ends.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2020 5:08 PM

For air travel, use wired earbuds if you have a jack. If not, get an adapter. I have an iPhone 11 and the lightning adapter I got cost $10 and allows me to charge the phone simultaneously. Or get the big over the head kind.

One of my earbuds fell out of my ear on the first flight I took them on.

It was a redeye and no way was I going to be able to find it during flight. Ended up last off the flight and got on all fours. They made it to the other side of seats, four rows up from me under the middle seat.

Only way I found it was the light it emits to demonstrate it was on.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2020 5:35 PM

R2 Sony WF-1000XM3 are better than airpods and have noise-cancelling with a long battery life. The noise-cancelling is a godsend in the office and on public transport, airports, etc. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for with earphones and headphones. I just make sure I put them in their case when I’m not using them. The fact they aren’t cheap also makes sure I’m careful with them.

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2020 5:39 PM

If you don't mind not having the 2nd (latest) generation Air Pods, you can buy the 1st generation Air Pods. The prices are all over the place, but way cheaper than the 2nd generation. I have the 1st generation ones and I like them. I guess I do have smaller ears and they do stay in my ears.

Best way to not lose them is to be religious about putting them back in the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2020 7:09 PM

I have this pair and I love them!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 6, 2020 7:27 PM

Wirecutter recommended these, so I got the Active versions until lost the right one. Lesson learn: keep them in case when not in use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2020 7:34 PM

Have them transplanted in surgically why don’t you

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2020 4:26 AM

I'm shopping for wireless headphones and have no idea what to get so this is helpful. I have and like the traditional white apple headphones that come with the iPhone. Thanks, R14. I don't want to spend a ton. Mostly use for working out, walking, podcasts.

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2020 4:32 AM

R7, I have the same problem. I ride a vanpool to work and everytime we hit a bump, those earpods fall out of my ears. They just don't stay in place with the slightest movement.

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2020 4:55 AM

Came in expecting Luddite comments about OP getting brain tumours; nada one so far.

You guys feeling ok?

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2020 7:52 AM

Here's what I think of the ones I've used for a year:

Bose Soundsport Wireless: Doesn't have noise canceling but the earpieces are connected to one another. Excellent. Around $100-125. Pairs with more than one device so if you've paired to your laptop and are paired to your phone and a call comes in, you switch to talking through the headphone mics seamlessly. (Not a concern on a flight but you'll use it everywhere.) Great mic for phone calls.

Bose Quiet Comfort 20: these are wired not wireless and they have amazing noise canceling capabilities. You can listen with or without NC. The built-in battery is oddly positioned on the wire, closer to the earbuds than to the connector, but these are probably my favorite earbuds/headphones. The sound is great. $250 and I think they're mostly worth it. Some reviews complain of sound loss after a year. So far, so good for me (1 year later)

Sony wh-1000xm3: over the ear headphones. Very comfortable, pairs with one device only. Excellent sound. Mic for calls is okay, not great. $285 on sale.

Cowin E7 headphones: These are $50ish and they have noise canceling. Wired or wireless. Pretty damn great for inexpensive headphones. More sound muffling than noise canceling but I'd recommend these if you're on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2020 12:18 PM

Tie a string to each one when putting them in your ears. Attach the string to your phone. You'll never lose them.

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2020 1:58 PM

So stupid question - do all all wireless ear buds also have speakers for phone? I see prices all over the place - but they never state whether they are just for listening or also for phone conversations.

by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2020 2:14 PM

Speakers, or audio mics so you can talk on a call? They all have audio but not speakers (to go on speaker mode, for example). Sorry, I'm not understanding the question.

When you buy any earbuds, see if anyone reviewed the call quality. It's hard to get that information in reviews but it's worth checking. Some of the better earphones in terms of listening experience don't offer the best phone experience.

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2020 5:46 PM

sorry but I have a question, I am watching TV and my TV screen shows a bluetooth request...asking me to pair or cancel. I am not pairing anything...it came up 4 times. What is going on? Is someone trying to hack my TV?

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2020 5:51 PM

In terms of call quality, as far as I can tell only the Apple airpods pro have good quality, and it is excellent. My BF has them and he is crystal clear when he calls.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2020 6:11 PM

Call quality of the ones I have:

Jabra (telemarketer-style over-the-ear with the "I'll take your order now" wand sticking out) is excellent. Requires that nub that fits in your laptop, though.

Sony (the new expensive over-the-ear): good phone quality. Can't pair with more than one device at a time, so if you pair with your laptop and a call comes in, you need to switch to phone. Not a big deal.

Bose Sport wireless (earbuds connected by wire to one another, unobtrusively behind your neck): excellent phone call sound.

Bose Quiet Comfort 20: Best phone call sound. Not wireless but the Sport is great.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2020 5:39 PM

Not using them on the airplane seems to be the most obvious one.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2020 6:07 PM

I have the Jabra Elite Active 75t and love them. The sound and battery life are great, they never pop out and are water (sweat) resistant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2020 6:25 PM

I cannot stand IEMs .To me they sound awful. a set of bluetooth earphones however I love.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2020 6:35 PM

Oh yeah the other thing about earphones. It's pretty clear you're in your world and you don't get folks trying to talk to you. I like that.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2020 6:36 PM

The Apple wireless earphones keep falling out of my ears, so I bought the Beats version that go over the ears.

Expensive but the sound is good

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2020 7:31 PM

You’re going on a long trip at this time, Op?!

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2020 7:48 PM

Looking for more recommendations... my current wired headphones are old and shot. I find myself obsessing over options, prices, brands for wireless earbuds... I'm driving myself crazy. And I really need some during this shelter in place crap! ASAP!

This is mostly for walking, running, podcasts, music, travel... should I just get the ugly white AirPods? Heard the sound quality isn't great and neither is fit.

I have an iPhone. Want something light, comfortable, around $150 but flexible... should I get noise cancelling?? A friend recommended some that cost $25. Then I see $300 as the top performers, like Beats and Sennheiser.

Please help me.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 5:29 PM

Gurl sounds like you want the $300 options but are too cheap.

Save us all the misery and buy the cheapest ones until you can grow enough balls to treat yourself to some Chinese made trinket assembled for $50 but marketed for 6x as much.

We're in a fucken pandemic, life is short. Save us all the drama.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 5:34 PM

R35, I would love the top of the line!! Not gonna lie. I am cheap, though.

Thanks, dear.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 5:35 PM

Wires work to prevent loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 5:40 PM

Simple: buy earbuds that fit you properly. They shouldn't fall at at the slightest movement. Apple's fit me perfectly. I can wear them working out, biking, etc. No problem. Who cares what they look like? I only care what they sound like.

Also, don't sleep with them in. If you're on an airplane, use wired headphones. You're tethered to your seat anyway... Save your batteries for when you're moving around. (And what's with that lame 5-hour play time, OP?? Mine last for 12 or more hours without recharging.)

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 6:39 PM

So, OP, what did you end up with?

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]I've been reading stories of people losing their buds on airplanes, which has made me a bit nervous.

Why would people lose them on airplanes more often or more easily than anywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2020 3:30 PM

Maybe they fall asleep and get jostled.

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2020 3:32 PM

I lost one while gardening. I have since bought a pair that go over the ear

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote]I would be using the most them for audio books,

Then all you need is a cheap pair. Then lose as many as you like and not care.

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2020 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!