Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boothbay Harbor Maine

I recently found my dream home at an affordable price. This place in Massachusetts would be double the cost.

I will be working from home for next 6-12 months. But after that, I suspect I will be looking for new employment.

This beautiful place is, at minimum, 1-1.5 hours away from 2 cities with any job prospects,.

I am in Sales and make a good living.

I care about nature, the ocean, wildlife... That's what I love and where I feel at peace.

But holy shit, there are no jobs in Maine. I could only move because of my current position, which I suspect will end within the year.

Should I just go for it!? My god, I love that area and that home is everything I ever wanted.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 1:22 AM

Secure ownership, enjoy for a time and if you have to rent it out to keep it, do so.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2020 9:07 PM

MissDoug. BRILLIANT. It is a big tourist town in the summer..

I was shocked that only 2500 or people live there..

And yeah, I thought MAYBE I could become a detective and solve crimes like Jessica Fletcher, but there isn't enough people living there to be murdered..

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2020 9:10 PM

If you work in sales you can probably find another job where you rarely have to go into an office, no?

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2020 9:13 PM

R3- No, its not very easy to find believe it to not--- At my company (based out of CA) I am one of the only people in my position even trusted to work from home- My company is ripe to be acquired and I will be out of a job, there is no doubt... And the book of business I was handed is not diversified and my book is comprised of 70% one client's revenue- so even if we are not acquired-once this client changes their scope of work (and they inevitably will)- my commission dries up anyway. My company does not "give" us new clients in my role. You are stuck with the book that you have. It is bizarre. And we have around 70% turnover. Longest employee lasts 9 months. I am ready to take some chances and move on- I have savings, but I know how fast this dwindles.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2020 9:20 PM

Well Boothbay Harbor isn't going anywhere so why take all this chance if you can't for certain retire in full at this time? Wait until you can.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2020 9:34 PM

If you are in sales you can sell anything. There are over 100 sales jobs on Indeed in that area. Plus you could target area’s largest employers and service providers.

Look on AirBNB to see what nightly rentals are going for during peak season. I have a house that paid for itself as a summer rental.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2020 9:53 PM

Maine is beautiful. I say go for it. Just don’t get trampled by a moose. I’m not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2020 9:55 PM

You will always find summer renters in Booth Bay.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2020 9:59 PM

Follow your dream and buy the home.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2020 10:04 PM

Have you spent time there *in the winter* when like 90% of the shops and restaurants are closed?

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2020 10:14 PM

Look hard at the economics of buying your dream home, and renting it out when you're not there. Can you make enough from summer rentals to cover the mortgage? Because yes, you will probably have to actually live where you can get work, and that will mean paying rent somewhere else as well as paying the mortgage. Plus paying to furnish and keep up your dream house, and it's my understanding that the Maine climate means a BIG upkeep-and-repairs budget.

So if you CAN swing buying the house and making it pay for itself with rentals, then you have a fabulous place for vacations, for times when you can work from home, for your retirement, something to make you feel special, or something that can be sold at a profit if the town takes off. Because taking out a mortgage on a place that's far from employment could be a nightmare money pit, or it could mean happiness and a great investment. Look very hard and VERY rationally at which it's likely to be, do NOT make an emotional decision.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2020 11:13 PM

R10 brings up a really good point. Is there a grocery store open at least 8-5 during the winter? At least one bar/restaurant? What's the internet like?

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2020 11:25 PM

Is the house even winterized??

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2020 6:18 AM

Even in tourist towns in Maine, there is a market and a few restaurants which stay open all year.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2020 6:24 AM

If you need a girl, I can highly recommend Dolores Claiborne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2020 7:36 AM

[quote]This place in Massachusetts would be double the cost.

Do you know why? Because Maine sucks the meat.

I know you gays think that is a good thing but it's not.

If you bought a similar sized place in the Nullabor it would be even cheaper than Maine, but no one of any quality lives their either.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2020 10:03 AM

[quote]This place in Massachusetts would be double the cost.

Keeps out those dreadful hillbillies, mostly

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2020 10:03 AM

Maine is desperate for skilled workers. Businesses up there do not close (for the most part) due to a lack of business, many close because the business owners cannot find workers and burn out.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2020 1:49 PM

Did they close for the Beer Flu?

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 2:06 AM

Think of all the queens who come to Boothbay Harbor to shake their petticoats and recreate the "June Is Bustin' Out All Over" dance from the CAROUSEL movie that was shot there! That's some Michael Kidd choreography to live up to! Start stretching!

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 2:08 AM

How much does it cost to heat the in the winter?

And it's propane or fuel oil. Or worse, wood.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 3:05 AM

^^^ Heat the PLACE in the winter...

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 3:06 AM

OP - I moved to Maine from NYC about 10 years ago. Very close to Booth Bay Harbor. Happy to tell you more about it. We can try to connect offline via email if you'd like. Happy to give you intel on the area economy, job market and the sectors where you may want to network.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 3:21 AM

Boothbay Harbor is a beautiful oceanside town, and the additional plus is that there's also so many other coastal nooks and crannies to enjoy via a relatively short car ride away (or via boat if you can) such as Wiscasset, Bath, and Georgetown with Reid State Park and Five Islands, and if you head north, Damariscotta, Rockland, Camden and Bar Harbor.

If you really like the coast, there's so much to experience in Maine. I have a summer place on the Sassanoa River (which is not really a river, but a series of ocean inlets and bays) and never tire of taking my boat out, and I never even go out on open ocean.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 3:58 AM

Didn't Tom Selleck have a vacation home in Maine somewhere? Is it near Boothbay Harbor?

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 12:31 AM

Sounds delightful to me ... do your research, but go for it

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 1:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!