Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What great performances/events would you like to have been present for?

Given what people said in its wake, Talullah Bankhead in "The Little Foxes" sounds like an amazing night out.

I would have liked a chance to see the Loie Fuller perform, given that the films of her dancing that survive are so magical.

Going back in time, Sarah Siddons on stage would be fascinating to see, particularly given her reputation for Lady Macbeth.

Niccolò Paganini in concert anywhere any time during his life.

The grand opening of Carnegie Hall.

Not a live performance, but the opening nights for "All About Eve", "Gone With the Wind" and "To Have and Have Not" must have been legendary.

A huge step down from all of the above, but Truman Capote's Black & White Ball was a classic moment of an era.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2020 6:36 PM

There are so many. Laurette Taylor in The Glass Menagerie. Sarah Bernhardt in La Dame aux Camellias. Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall and Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady. Ethel Merman in Gypsy and Maria Callas in La Traviata. I could go on and on. Time travel would be wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2020 6:50 AM

Helen Lawson in "Clytie Get Your Axe" (the Broadway musical version of Aeschylus's "Agamemnon").

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2020 7:06 AM

Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2020 7:37 AM

Tom Petty at The Hollywood Bowl (his last show)

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2020 11:45 AM

Gettysburg Address

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2020 11:48 AM

Attending one of Rock Hudson's parties would have been fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2020 11:48 AM

Astrid Varnay as Brunnhilde or Ortrud in Bayreuth in the 50´s and 60´s.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2020 11:58 AM

Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2020 12:04 PM

Sermon on the Mount

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2020 12:21 PM

With Toulouse-Lautrec at the Moulin Rouge, watching Jane Avril and La Gouloue dance, circa 1891.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2020 12:33 PM

The debut performance of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, with Ludwig Van himself conducting.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2020 10:18 PM

I'd like to have seen Maria Callas' entire 1954-1955 season at La Scala

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2020 6:12 AM

The opening and closing night of Moose Murders.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2020 6:19 AM

I would say Bruno Walter's 1938 Berlin Philharmonic performance of Mahler's Symphony No. 9. But would I have been able to get out of Germany again immediately afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2020 6:23 AM

The Olympics during the period of antiquity. Although ordering lunch would pose a problem.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2020 2:17 PM

The 1928 premiere of Ravel's Boléro at the Paris Opéra . It was staged as a ballet.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2020 5:37 PM

Noel Coward in Las Vegas 1955.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2020 6:25 PM

Well, there's a trio.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2020 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!