Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Advice in Salary Negotiation

I haven’t been formally offered the job yet, but the interview I had today with the CEO was VERY promising. He asked me to think about it, then get back to him by the end of the week with bullet points of what I would do strategy-wise and also my salary expectations.

I don’t want to come in too high, and of course not undervalue myself. He didn’t give me a salary range, but it’s an important position and similar positions in NYC pay $110,000-125,000.

The problem is they are a German company, and they may have different ideas of salary compared to the US. So if I give them that number above, they may scoff and move on to someone else. On the other hand, I won’t work for less than $100,000, so do I lower my range? I fear that will leave money on the table.

UGH why can’t employers just POST what the salary is, that would save everyone time.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2020 1:14 AM

They are going to steal your ideas and then not hire you. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2020 12:01 AM

125K? Are you poor?

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2020 12:10 AM

Look on glassdoor, pays, H1b sites.

Try to find what your company pays for this level of position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2020 12:14 AM

An "important position" that pays 110K? Are you deluded? Is this in the cosmetology field? What am I missing. Just give your realistic salary expectation for the city you will work in. Christ. I wouldn't hire you.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2020 12:15 AM

You could try turning it around. “You’ve heard my proposals and plans to take the department forward. What remuneration do you think the position is worth?”

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2020 12:49 AM

I hope you are a young person, as 100K in NYC is not a lot.

Working on that assumption, your best bargaining chip is always your next-best alternative. If you say you won't take less than 100k, then that's your next-best. I worked on Wall St, and it's common for employers to want to see your previous salary. If you are making 100K, then you shouldn't be willing to leave your job for less than +10%, and, really, +20%.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2020 1:03 AM

Not sure what state you're in but here in MA they passed a law last year and we are not allowed to ask what a candidate is currently making. Instead, we have to look at a salary database broken down by region, the candidate's years of experience, what degrees they have, the level of the role (principal vs senior vs associate, etc), then throw in stock and maybe a sign on bonus and hope we're in the ballpark. It's a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2020 1:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!