Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nine Ways You're Cooking Pasta Wrong

From Missy Robbins of Lilia in Williamsburg, BK.

And guess what #3 is:

[quote] [bold]3. You grab a colander.[/bold]

[quote] “If you’re draining your pasta in a colander in the sink, you’re losing all the cooking water—and that water is an important ingredient for a great dish. Some pots have a basket insert, which is a larger version of the pasta baskets we use in restaurants. You can also buy one separately. Alternately, you can remove pasta from the pot with tongs for long shapes or a spider or large slotted spoon for small ones. Just remember to work fast as you extract the pasta from the water.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 8:23 PM

I use a strainer, not a colander.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 11:06 PM

I hate click-bait stories that use the headline, "You're [doing whatever] all wrong." How do you know how I'm cooking my pasta, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 11:10 PM

You can just ladle out some of the water if you are using it for something else. Leaving the pasta in the water may overcook the pasta. It should be cooked al dente. Limp, overcooked pasta is disgusting. People who eat cheap shit pasta can use tongs to grab the pasta out, and rip it into pieces

Why are those always jackasses who want to make everything harder and more complicated?

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 11:10 PM

I use silver monogrammed tongs to remove the pasta from the water. They are from from Tiffany and Co.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 11:11 PM

See the DL is always right!

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 11:13 PM

Are you a chef as well R3?

Or just a very knowledgeable home cook?

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 11:19 PM

R2 agree wholeheartedly!

Fuck those You've Been Doing X All Wrong cunts. Nobody gives a shit what you think. You're 30 and you live at home and you have a useless masters degree in English and all you can do is write $40 stories about how to eat sushi "right", etc which everyone already knows because we all have Google too, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 11:20 PM

R2 agree wholeheartedly!

Fuck those You've Been Doing X All Wrong cunts. Nobody gives a shit what you think. You're 30 and you live at home and you have a useless masters degree in English and all you can do is write $40 stories about how to eat sushi "right", etc which everyone already knows because we all have Google too, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 11:20 PM

In the name of all that is holy, don't add sauce to your pasta, add the pasta to your sauce!

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 11:22 PM

R6 has stated their boundaries.

Twice.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote]you’re losing all the cooking water—and that water is an important ingredient for a great dish.

Not necessarily.

It's not a given. Adding cooking water works with some sauces but not for all. If over used it can make the sauce gelatinous.

Also, pasta must be cooked in water that's well salted, adding cooking water can make the dish too salty. So you have to be careful.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 11:27 PM

I'm tired of everyone over-complicating everything and making it fucking 'artisinal'.

Over the top cocktails, expensive pasta, $8 for 5 brussels sprouts with parmesan - stop it already!

Can we please go back to simple, good food WITHOUT the fucking attitude and massive prices?

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 11:29 PM

Grab a coffee mug, scoop out some pasta water in case you need it, drain pasta into colander. Done.

Of course, it has to be a REALLY GOOD coffee mug and a REALLY GOOD colander. You can taste the difference.

* fnart *

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 11:36 PM

Ooh, smell Queen Mary of Teck at R4!

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2020 12:11 AM

"Everything You Think You Know About Masturbation Is Wrong."

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2020 3:02 AM

Pasta water is not needed or wanted with a good pomodoro sauce.... the author is WRONG!!

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2020 4:01 AM

[quote] Are you a chef as well [R3]? Or just a very knowledgeable home cook?

It's pasta. It's not the cure for cancer. Are you under the incorrect assumption that only professional chefs know how to cook pasta? My Italian Grandmothers would laugh at this cook telling everyone they are boiling pasta wrong

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2020 4:27 AM

I like my pasta al denture, R3

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2020 4:49 AM

I just toss it in the instant pot with the meat and the sauce and it all cooks up nicely!

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2020 4:53 AM

You're supposed to COOK it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2020 4:55 AM

Oh, dear. Not a very flattering angle for our Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 5:21 AM

"Kate Krader"

When you're making suggestions about "matzoh ball soup" I'll listen. I'll ask a real Italian about pasta cookery, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 6:12 AM

I liked how she saw that there is a buildup of starch solids in the bottom of a pot and that spidering the pasta out of the water and using some of the starchy water without disturbing the bottom of the pot was pure genius.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2020 6:32 AM

SMH at Jew-Haters like R22

They're not Krader's tips, they're tips from chef Missy Robbins.

So you would have been better off writing "When you're making suggestions about "velveeta cheese on white bread with mayo" I'll listen. I'll ask a real Italian about pasta cookery, thanks.

Pink triangles

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote]Pasta water is not needed or wanted with a good pomodoro sauce....

True.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2020 3:02 PM

I grew up in a Jewish town (Newton, MA). Historically speaking Jewish people were called the people of the book - not people of the cookbook. Ashkenazi Jews don’t really have a traditional cuisine, they have deli food. In other words they would eat out.

I grew up hearing the joke, “What does a good Jewish housewife make for dinner? Reservations.”

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2020 3:08 PM

Taking the pasta out of the water improves the taste about 1/1000 more.

It’s not worth the effort

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2020 3:23 PM

Not to mention that whatever small difference in taste it might make is going to be canceled out by the addition of sauce.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2020 3:26 PM

To be fair, Missy (ugh - choose a grown up name) Robbins has an impressive background and trained and worked a lot in Italy.

However, she should have avoided being associated with this click-bait article. It does her no favors.

Meanwhile, the author must be close to 50 - she's not some young Brooklyn writer. She must be desperate. It's not the type of article you expect from a real writer - and apparently she is one.

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2020 3:37 PM

If you want to see pasta made at home in Italy try some of these short videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2020 4:22 PM

This article reads like "The OCD Guide to Preparing Pasta." What goes into your sauce matters a hell of a lot more than whether you use a damned colander to drain the spaghets.

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2020 4:45 PM

And not overcooking it.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!