Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Immoderate Susan Collins: Why did the Maine senator gamble her legacy on Trump?

Last fall, Erik Mercer, a Maine social worker and psychotherapist, saw one of his senators, the Republican Susan Collins, while he was waiting for a plane in Washington, D.C. Mercer, a Democrat, had approached Collins on a plane once before, after the 2016 election, to thank her for a ferociously worded op-ed she had published before the election calling Donald Trump “unworthy of being our president” and declaring that she would not be voting for him.

This time, he asked if he could sit next to her and then described the trouble he was having explaining to his children that the president was above the law, mentioning particularly the terrible things Trump says about women. Collins, he recalled, replied that she didn’t believe the president had said anything bad about women for a while, and that she couldn’t comment further because she was a potential juror in his Senate trial. The conversation was frustrating, and he called a friend immediately afterward to complain about what he perceived as Collins’s lack of courage.

Mercer soon found himself just behind Collins on the jet bridge and overheard her tell another passenger that a constituent had just been “very rude” to her.

“He called me a coward,” Collins said to her companion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2020 11:20 PM

The Republican party is the party of authoritarianism. If you put your own convictions and independence above the party line, you'd have no business there.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 9:58 PM

like her GOP colleagues, she lives in fear of being primaried by someone even more far-right than she is, and then losing her seat. Ronald Reagan used to be the Golden Calf of the GOP, but now Trump is.

Hopefully her Democrat challenger in 2020 will take care of that, with the help of ME voters.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote]Why did the Maine senator gamble her legacy on Trump?

I'm going to go with, "she's a dumb bitch" for $1,000, Alex

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 10:02 PM

Wow. She's the living definition of 'pulling the wool over your eyes.'

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 10:12 PM

She's cynical cunt and I also believe she is cognitively impaired. A spineless hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 10:16 PM

She, along with Trump and Moscow Mitch, are the lowest forms of life. She might be the worst because she pretends to care. Unfortunately, I fear that they will survive like cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 10:17 PM

She also seems to not understand her weak electoral position. Excellent news for Gideon.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote] Why did the Maine senator gamble her legacy on Trump?

Legacy? What legacy?

The woman has demonstrated nothing but MEDIOCRITY, while in Congress.

She stands for absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 10:24 PM

Headline:

Gideon 43%, Collins 42%

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 10:24 PM

Susan Collins: Concerned Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 10:26 PM

The statements above opine that Maine Senator Susan Collins is either dumb or a cunt. I disagree with those perspectives.

In my opinion. Just mine, I believe Maine Senator Susan Collins is scared and intimidated by her own party and by the President.

We know what happens when a member of the Republican Party crosses or disagrees with Donald Trump, they get ostracized, publicly humiliated, undercut by the President. I believe Maine Senator Susan Collins knows that if she votes against her party or the President, he'll endorse someone else, or he'll give out her phone number or he'll publicly humiliate her. The Democrats don't engage with Susan Collins and her own state of Maine is turning against her, so Collins' only hope for re-election or to survive unscathed is to align herself with Donald Trump and hope he'll keep her afloat.

I think Senator Collins is reminded both directly and indirectly what could happen to her if she crosses the party line.

Nevertheless, I've donated twice (only five dollars though) to the Democratic challenger for the Maine Senate seat, Sara Gideon. And I'd encourage others to do the same. Sara Gideon is the Maine Speaker of the House. Mention her name and elevate her visibility.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 11:10 PM

Give to Sara Gideon:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 11:53 PM

R11 Oh please. She could make plenty of cash if she lost her Senate seat. Republicans with a brain and spine should not be so intimidated by Trump. If he costs them a job - fuck it. At least they do the honorable thing in historical perspective. And stay true to their own morals. She is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, a spineless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 11:57 PM

"He called me a coward". Well, he was right.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 11:57 PM

She’s as greasy and low down as the rest of her ilk.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 11:59 PM

She is a middle aged hosebeast.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2020 12:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2020 3:44 PM

"He called me a coward"

But you are, Blanche, you are!

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2020 3:54 PM

Why focus just on her? EVERY damn Republican looked the other way and voted immorally.

When you have no dissent within your own party because it's really not allowed, then there is something seriously scary and wrong with your party.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote] like her GOP colleagues, she lives in fear of being primaried by someone even more far-right than she is, and then losing her seat.

She’s from Maine, not Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2020 4:13 PM

So many whores. I guess getting into office was the ultimate achievement for those dweebs, and they hung on for dear life with all four claws.

If the public turned on you for turning on Trump, so what- get another job. You're all millionaires.

Romney was the only one who didn't need that validation. And he's the only one left with any integrity.

Vote. Them. Out.

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2020 4:13 PM

She strikes me as stupid- like many in the GOP. Power and party loyalty is more important than the common good and rule of law.

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2020 4:23 PM

Well at least she managed to vote against the two anti-choice bills that Moscow Cocaine Mitch tossed in for a vote to stir up the base.

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2020 7:23 PM

Isn't her husband some shady character with business ties to Russians?

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2020 8:26 PM

Like she said about her glorious orange leader, I hope she will have learned her lesson when she loses her Senate seat in November.

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2020 8:35 PM

Vote out Susan Collins by voting IN Sara Gideon.

Donate to Sara Gideon and vote for her.

I don't live in Maine, but I did donate to her campaign 10$ twice.

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2020 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!