Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

About tactless questions

I know there're plenty of articles, podcasts and vlogs, teaching us how to make a cad shut up.

But how can you handle the situation, when indelicate question belongs to an older relative, your cheif's wife or close friend? Do you ignore it? Or smile at his/her face, wishing them death deep inside?

How do you react when people ask you about marriage status, future kids, previous relationship, orientation after all?

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2020 10:48 AM

Smile wryly and ask them,"Why exactly do you want to know?" It should shut them up. If they persist, say, "Sorry, that's not a good enough reason for me to answer your inane questions."

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 4:51 PM

Just be honest. Say, “That’s a very personal question,” or, “I don’t quite know how to answer that.”

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 5:05 PM

I’m fond of, “oh, I won’t bore you with the details.”

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 5:07 PM

I usually just smile, laugh, and ignore while wishing them death inside my head. But I like R1 and R3. I think I'm gonna start using that cause it's getting harder to hold my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 5:08 PM

“I can’t imagine why you’d want to know that.”

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 5:17 PM

[quote]Smile wryly and ask them,"Why exactly do you want to know?" It should shut them up. If they persist, say, "Sorry, that's not a good enough reason for me to answer your inane questions."

I've found this type of response is the best strategy.

Saying something along the lines of "that's an interesting question, why are you asking that?" allows someone who truly didn't mean to be nosy or offensive to backtrack gracefully by signalling that the question may be delicate with minimal embarrassment to either party. On the other hand, someone being nosy or malicious should become embarrassed and stop asking.

If they persist after such a signal, then responding with a simple "oh, I'm not comfortable responding to such a private question."

If a real douchenozzle's continues to press with comments like "that's silly, it's not private," you should simply stop replying. Replying, justifying, or explaining further implies they DESERVE an explanation or your reasoning which, of course, they are not entitled to have.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 5:19 PM

Just admit that you’re a bottom, OP. No need for embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 5:21 PM

I go silent and just innocently look at them, trying my best not to look angry.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 5:21 PM

“Which one of you is the wife?”

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 5:36 PM

I look them straight in the eye, no smile, and say "Why do you want to know?" If they persist, I ignore them, totally.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 5:37 PM

I smile and say, "Thank you for caring enough to ask." But I never answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 5:59 PM

I usually tweak their nose and say, “My, my, sir. I do believe you’re jealous,” even if it’s a woman.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2020 8:47 AM

This wasn't a question, more of a comment. My partner at that time was dying. I was pretty much living at the hospital. I would take a break at noon to get myself a coffee and lunch. As I was walking back to my car, no doubt looking rather unhappy, a guy says to me, "Hey, buddy, smile, it can't be that bad."

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2020 12:54 PM

The problem with tactless people is that well, they're tactless. Most of the responses mentioned will not work. They just give the person more fodder. "Why are you so embarrassed to answer a simple question?" "What do you have to hide?" "Are you embarrassed that you are... (single, gay, childless, unemployed, self employed, etc.)?"

Basically, it is a no win situation, because if you don't answer or walk away, the tactless person will just use it as an example of your lack of character/secretiveness (untrustworthy)/ emotional instability/ mental deficiency.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2020 1:08 PM

I would say, "What a fucking rude asshole you are" and spit on them.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2020 1:18 PM

[quote]”Why are you so embarrassed to answer a simple question?" "What do you have to hide?" "Are you embarrassed that you are... (single, gay, childless, unemployed, self employed, etc.)?"

Feign shock then reply, “Wow! Really?!” and walk away.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2020 1:21 PM

“He died, Rose.” Is my standard reply when anyone badgers me about my husband’s accidental death.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2020 2:07 PM

Just say "pay me $5 and I'll tell you the answer." That's usually met with a long stare. If they say "what??", say "I said, pay me $10 and I'll tell you the answer." If they say, "no you said $5", tell them "was it $15? Hmmm, I thought I heard $20." Continue to up it by $5 each time, knowing full well you never have any intention of telling them the info.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2020 4:01 PM

I repeat the question back to them, like, "Do you think I xxxxx?" And usually that makes them embarrassed and they quickly try to change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2020 4:03 PM

r13, yeah, as a clinically depressed suicidal teenager I kept running into people telling me to smile. I do have a cute smile but really.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2020 4:05 PM

"That's a question for another time," or "That's a long story"; then change the subject.

R13, a similar thing on the way to the funeral home after my mom had died. Random stranger on the train told me, "It can't be that bad." Me: "It is, unless you can bring the dead back to life." He stopped trying to engage after that.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 4:15 PM

In that situation, r14, you are perfectly ok to say, “I was trying to be polite, but what the fuck is wrong with you?!”

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 4:33 PM

Stan them lightly with a stiletto blade in the buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2020 4:36 PM

I must be totally tactless because I wouldn't be offended by any of the examples of questions posed by OP.

My bf and I have been together for over 20 years. We lived together for a few years and then figured out we each liked living alone better. We did not break up. We are in a committed relationship but never had any interest in getting married when it became legal. However, we are both resigned to the fact that we probably will get married and live together in retirement, mostly for the economic and legal benefits. Whenever someone who doesn't know either of us well asks me "When are you two finally going to get married?" I usually respond with, "Once I knock him up."

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2020 4:43 PM

R24, I wouldn't be offended either. The way I see it, people can ask me whatever they want but I don't have to answer it.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2020 4:47 PM

If the questions were sincere, I would be OK, but usually they're intended to make you feel awkward. Some people get off on that.

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2020 4:49 PM

I always hate when people ask "so, what do you do?" I always feel like they're trying to figure out how much respect they should have for you. The thing is that I never think of asking that to someone I've just met. That or where they went to school. Those are such weird questions to me. As if I'm going to be more impressed by someone who went to Harvard and is a wealthy attorney rather than a very witty, warm and engaging waitress who never finished college.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2020 4:57 PM

Don’t ever move to DC. Those are the first 2 questions you will be asked in every conversation.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2020 5:03 PM

r27 - Asking that question to someone you just me is uniquely American. My European friends are repulsed by this.

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2020 5:24 PM

^ "met"

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2020 5:25 PM

I find a long cold stare usually shuts them up. My late dad was the best, anyone who asked a nosy question got "What's it fucking got to do with you?" Tact wasn't his forte.

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2020 5:31 PM

If someone asks something like this, I simply respond with "what's your favorite sexual position?" If they answer, they're probably a good egg and I'll actually converse with them.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 6:02 PM

I like that R32. It could be a bit awkward with Grandma though, or not...

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 9:19 PM

"Why do you ask?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm curious about why you would be curious enough to ask about such a thing? Why do you ask?"

"Again, why do you ask?"

Always in the same quiet tone of disgusted curiousity. Wear them the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 10:00 PM

I gained 40 pounds in a year and a half (combo of depression, too many carbs, and a move to a city where I was less physically active) and my new size was frequently commented on by family members. I’ve never quite understood the thinking behind commenting on someone else’s weight gain to their face—it’s not like you don’t notice that your clothes no longer fit and your belly and face are as round as medicine balls.

Someone once asked, “What are you doing to put on the weight?” and while I just shrugged it off at the time, I wish I said I gained it from eating ass.

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2020 2:03 AM

The Miss Manners suggestion to such boorish questions is brilliant: "Oh, I should never dream of burdening you with that information."

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2020 2:06 AM

I don’t understand why simple conversational questions so trouble OP and other responders.

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote] The problem with tactless people is that well, they're tactless. Most of the responses mentioned will not work. They just give the person more fodder. "Why are you so embarrassed to answer a simple question?" "What do you have to hide?" "Are you embarrassed that you are... (single, gay, childless, unemployed, self employed, etc.)?"

In which case, you should immediately walk away from the person, because the person is a complete asshole.

I've had to do that on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2020 2:16 AM

[quote] Basically, it is a no win situation, because if you don't answer or walk away, the tactless person will just use it as an example of your lack of character/secretiveness (untrustworthy)/ emotional instability/ mental deficiency.

In which case: who really gives a shit what they think? They do not deserve to know anyone's personal business because they're tactless assholes.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2020 2:18 AM

If rude assholes press me, I smile sweetly and say, “I was trying to tell you nicely that I’m not going to answer your question.”

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2020 2:56 AM

The classic datalounge response if of course a well-timed hiss at the interrogator.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2020 3:27 AM

I just say, “RUDE!!!” In my best Bon Qui Qui voice

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2020 3:37 AM

The trick is to live a life you’re not ashamed of. Then no question ever throws you : )

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote]Someone once asked, “What are you doing to put on the weight?” and while I just shrugged it off at the time, I wish I said I gained it from eating ass.

“Who knew cum had so many calories? [Looks questioner up and down] Ah who am I kidding? Obviously you did.”

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote] The trick is to live a life you’re not ashamed of. Then no question ever throws you : )

We’re not talking about questions we’re ashamed to answer as much as the person asking has no right to the information.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2020 10:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!