Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Swai Fish

What is this strange fish and why am I seeing it everywhere in markets all of a sudden?

It's about the same price as tilapia. Any good or avoid?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2020 4:29 AM

The first time I saw it in the market I though it said SWAN! I know duck is popular, and people eat goose, but I've never heard of eating swan.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 3:23 AM

Duck duck goosh.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 3:34 AM

Swai is what we used to call Asian catfish or Vietnamese catfish. If is tasty with just garlic butter and lemon zest.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 3:44 AM

//It is tasty....

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 3:44 AM

Is this the fish that supposedly gives people explosive orange diarrhea?

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 3:48 AM

R5 I believe that's caused by the Trumpfish.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 3:56 AM

I detest tilapia and have seen this in the store and thought it must be another name for that low rent fish since the price is similar. I feel sad when restaurants have to confess to serving tilapia on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 3:56 AM

Tilapia is for poors and laborers.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 3:58 AM

R7, R8, how do you feel about catfish?

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 4:00 AM

Orange diarrhea fish is escolar.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 4:02 AM

You bitches would eat tilapia if it was served on a naked man.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 4:05 AM

R11 Perhaps if it were arranged artfully. But if it were just a pile of cheap tilapia fish on a naked dude... well that's just tacky.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 4:26 AM

I like Swai.

Holds together well without being rubbery like talapia.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 5:55 AM

I've had it once or twice. It's not terrible. I assume it's cheap because it's farmed?

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 5:57 AM

R1 - Clarissa Dickson Wright, one of the late Two Fat Ladies, said she had tried swan but wouldn't have it again.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 6:05 AM

^ Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 6:08 AM

It’s a Chinese plot. Flood the market with cheap Swai, get us addicted, then jack up the price.

Ka-Ching!

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 6:10 AM

I get that it is cheap white fish. Like pollock. Cheap cod. Cheap sole. Am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 6:53 AM

Remember that escolar thread years ago where the OP shat orange liquid all over his chair in the middle of the cube farm?

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 7:05 AM

Swai is a variety of catfish from southeast Asia - places like Vietnam. I like it a lot - very mild, no fishy taste or smell, relatively firm, takes seasoning well. However, there are some concerns about the water quality of the rivers where it is raised. There's no such thing as an Environmental Protection Agency in Southeast Asia, so there can be industrial wastes, raw sewage, antibiotics, etc in all the rivers where it's raised. American-raised catfish is nearly as inexpensive, and I tend to buy it now, because I think our water quality laws are more stringent.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 7:19 AM

Talapia fish can survive in a cesspool. They really eat and are swimming shit. Do not eat!

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 8:27 AM

This is cheap fish. It always comes in combos because it’s so cheap. You can order a salmon and swai combo or a sea bass and swai combo. They’re just throwing in the swai because it’s so cheap.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 8:27 AM

In my neck of the woods, swai fish meat looks like that of salmon but smells very vaginal and muddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 8:34 AM

WHET Chilean Sea Bass? I used to love eating it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 8:41 AM

What? No love for me?

My feelings are hurt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 8:43 AM

Swai is used in the Fish Korma sold at Trader Joe's. I'd never had it before, and my favorite fish is firm-fleshed like salmon, tuna and halibut. I liked the swai fine. The few answers here that have been objective about taste and texture are, in my experience, correct.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 8:48 AM

Orange roughy and Chilean sea bass were overfished and their population is a concern. Very tasty white meat fish, but I believe it takes decades for orange roughy to multiply.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 9:53 AM

I imagine, like Tilapia, it has very little nutritional value.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2020 12:23 PM

Kinda like eating instant ramen noodles

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2020 12:24 PM

Eat a blobfish and its relatives will hunt you down and gut you like a . . . Well, they’ll gut you.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2020 12:24 PM

Funny. I just saw this fish at the grocery store today.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2020 11:38 PM

R30, I don’t think that’s true.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2020 11:42 PM

You want to find out? R32

The blobfish family is gangsta. They're like the La Cosa Nostra of the oceans

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 12:23 AM

I eat tilapia, but only tilapia that I buy at Costco, since they're supposed to be pretty careful about their sourcing. My local Kroger sells tilapia from China: I've read several times that they're fed garbage when farmed in China. Tilapia are one of the fish recommended for home farmers who can provide warm water.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] Remember that escolar thread years ago where the OP shat orange liquid all over his chair in the middle of the cube farm?

R19, apparently R10 does.

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote] WHET Chilean Sea Bass? I used to love eating it.

Chilean sea bass is essentially a marketing name for a type of cod. See below from Wikipedia.

The name "Chilean seabass" was invented by a fish wholesaler named Lee Lantz in 1977. He was looking for a name that would make it attractive to the American market. He considered "Pacific sea bass" and "South American sea bass" before settling on "Chilean sea bass".[3] In 1994, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration accepted "Chilean seabass" as an "alternative market name" for Patagonian toothfish,[3] and in 2013 for Antarctic toothfish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2020 2:21 AM

Cheap fish farmed in SE Asia. They put the chicken coups over the ponds for the shit to feed the fish. I can't even begin to think of how their processing is even near any standards of the developed world. Better cook it very well done to kill any bacteria. Our local very cheap regional seafood chain uses it as their main offering, did I say cheap? They also say "Home of the giant shrimp", I've seen those shrimp and I don't want to know how they got so big. Oddly, it is owned by Muslims, at 5pm they sometimes will go into the arcade and get on the floor and say their prayers, they are all big fat cunts and have to squeeze in there like sardines. Really really strange.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2020 3:54 AM

[quote] have to squeeze in there like sardines

Are sardines related to swai?

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2020 4:00 AM

There’s no point in asking r32 any questions.

We won’t be seeing him no more.

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2020 4:43 AM

Exactly what did r32 say that was so enthralling?

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2020 5:42 AM

[quote] They put the chicken coups over the ponds for the shit to feed the fish

I wish the chickens of the United States would band together and overthrow Trump.

I, for one, would bow to our new avian overlords.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2020 3:03 PM

Remember blackened redfish?

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2020 3:58 PM

Apparently, Swai used to be sold as catfish until 2003 when congress passed a law stating that only American catfish could be sold with that label. In addition, in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi -- states where catfish is a big industry -- it is illegal to sell swai.

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2020 10:04 PM

R19 I remember!

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2020 10:25 PM

Catfish literally eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2020 10:26 PM

R45 So does Erna. Do you think they'll chop him up and sell him as stinkfish fillets when he croaks?

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2020 10:31 PM

I think swai was marketed as “basa” several years ago. I remember liking it under that name but haven’t bought any swai, which I figured was tilapias poorer cousin.

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2020 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!