Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

St. John's Wort

And other natural remedies for depression.

Do any of them work? I had a friend who once claimed that St. John's Wort helped with her depression and I'm wondering if anybody has any experiences with it?

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 1:24 AM

Don’t use SJW if you’re bipolar. Manic swing activation.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 1:54 AM

I am hesitant to try st John's wort because of the listed possible side effects but i do use cbd oil, light therapy and lemon balm tea. I also take a probiotic because your stomach is ground zero for all sorts of mind and body issues. they seem to be helping. i havent killed myself yet.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 1:55 AM

I had terrible nightmares when I used it. In fact, they were so bad that it negated any positive effect it might have had.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 1:56 AM

I tried it and I may as well have been taking a sugar pill it was so useless. Only prescription antidepressants work for me. But you may as well try it.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 1:56 AM

OP, I know that this may seem bitchy but its not the intention, do you regularly exercise? Best mood stabilizer. Melatonin also helps.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 2:01 AM

St John's Wort is definitely biologically active, you just have no guarantee that the particular pill you're popping actually contains it. Additionally, it's an inducer, so any other medication you take won't work as well.

My anxiety responded surprisingly well to kava, although I don't want to take it longterm.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 2:01 AM

Except for a few evening strolls every other day, probably not as much exercise as I should, R5.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 2:12 AM

Doesn't hurt to try it out.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 2:23 AM

I've never taken it, but it's a very pretty wildflower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 2:33 AM

I take saffron extract.

"Due to safety concerns and side effects of many antidepressant medications, herbal psychopharmacology research has increased, and herbal remedies are becoming increasingly popular as alternatives to prescribed medications for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). Of these, accumulating trials reveal positive effects of the spice saffron (Crocus sativus L.) for the treatment of depression.... Findings from clinical trials conducted to date indicate that saffron supplementation can improve symptoms of depression in adults with MDD. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 2:44 AM

R7/OP Its not the quick solution but it is the most effective at boosting endorphins and other neuropsychological substances the body creates. Yoga is great for helping stimulate serotonin production and absorption. Can also help regulate your nervous systems by manipulating the thalamus, great for your thyroid, and lymph and endocrine systems as well as your circulatory system.

I'm also a fan of just running on an elliptical especially with Jeopardy on, but that's me. The cross body workout there is great for working out stress and agitation without the impact on the hips/knees. Helps sleep which helps mood. 🌀

Treat your body systematically not symptomatically.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 3:23 AM

Some info on St. John's Wort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 4:36 AM

I'm going to try it. I don't take any other medications for it to interact with, and I live in a dismal cloudy place.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 5:27 AM

SJ Wort is reported to be as effective as prescription anti-depressants.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 5:28 AM

Maybe for some people, in some ways, but it definitely didn't work for me.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 5:31 AM

I prefer eye of the newt myself.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 5:32 AM

Yes! It works! Until it doesn’t - for me this was 1 year / and I moved onto an SNRI.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 5:35 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2020 12:14 AM

For Christ's sake go to a REAL doctor and get REAL medicine.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2020 12:37 AM

It worked for me for about two years. Make sure you get a brand with a standardized amount of hypericum.

I lived in Florida, and too much sun didn't bother me at all. Just don't take it with any other anti-depressant,or you could suffer from serotonin syndrome.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2020 1:17 AM

Was useless. Bite the bullet and see a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!