Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Renee Zellweger's oscar win for Judy

It seems kind of weird that such a passionless performance swept. The year was weak, but not that weak. I'm surprised they didn't just crown Scarlett Johansson (who is arguably the biggest female star in Hollywood).

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2020 3:59 PM

Judy Davis is the gold standard for me.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 11:18 PM

Fuck you, Liza.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 11:18 PM

Hi, Scarlett!

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 11:18 PM

I bet most of the Academy voters don’t really know or fully appreciate the work of the real Judy. They just like a victim story.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 11:19 PM

It was the perfect opportunity to award Saoirse Ronan. I can't stand these crappy biopics wins.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 11:19 PM

Right? Those jealous bitch voting Frau must be so envious of Scarlett Johansson's beauty.

They only feel non-threatened if pretty actresses make themselves ugly.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 11:37 PM

Hey Scarlett, Are you really going to marry that guy from SNL? Or Chris Evans?

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 11:41 PM

Do they think she was a Harvey girl?

It's strange that Scarlett hasn't won a single Oscar but Jennifer Lawrence won two. I'm thinking she wasn't a Harvey girl. She can clearly act in indie films. Perhaps she would have won but she's part of a huge franchise and not an underdog anymore. Joaquin still has that underdog feel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 11:43 PM

"Right? Those jealous bitch voting Frau must be so envious of Scarlett Johansson's beauty.

They only feel non-threatened if pretty actresses make themselves ugly."

Hey, moron, 68% of the academy voters are MALE.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 12:03 AM

Maybe she knew that Oscar is capitalized.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 12:10 AM

R9 Then they don't respect her because of her big ol tittays. Or, they think pussy pass denied, because she's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote] I bet most of the Academy voters don’t really know or fully appreciate the work of the real Judy.

Except for the ones old enough to remember when she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 12:13 AM

The biggest star in Hollywood? Nope

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 12:15 AM

CLANG CLANG CLANG

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 12:18 AM

Scarlett was empty in Marriage Story, sadly. I think a failure of the writing. The Academy loved Renee’s performance.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 12:26 AM

I honestly think that the reason Rene won all the awards was because Judy never won an Oscar herself. I think this was Holllywood's way of saying "sorry."

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 12:27 AM

Among actresses, it probably is Scarlett, R13, at least since Jennifer Lawrence’s career has faded. Emma Stone is also a contender, and if you go by ability to sell a movie on name alone, Melissa McCarthy, whose terrible Ben Falcone movies still usually make money.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 12:31 AM

So glad Renee won. She was amazing. Great and classy acceptance speech, too.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 12:32 AM

I've always said that I got my DREAMS from my father, but I learned how to DRIVE from my mother.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 12:33 AM

R17 This should have been the year of the veteran actress. Cybill Shepherd, Mary Kay Place, Karen Allen and Alfre Woodard all gave career defining performances and should have been nominated. Renee could have taken the last spot.

Unlike the actors, AMPAS gives short shrift to its veteran actresses, unless it's Streep. They humiliated Glenn Close last year, they snubbed Sally Field, Tyne Daly and Lily Tomlin in recent years as well.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 12:34 AM

They hate netflix and an oscar would have legitimize it over true cinema. Naturally, renee biopic on a showbiz legend gets it.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 12:38 AM

R20, a Cybill Shepherd Oscar campaign would have helped J. Lo., at least. Oscar voters saying “Yeah, she’s a cunt, but it’s not like she’s Cybill Shepherd” might have been what tipped the scales to get Lopez her Supporting nomination.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 12:49 AM

BTW, R8, Jennifer Lawrence only has one Oscar--and for the wrong movie (shoul've been for Winter's Bone)

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 1:03 AM

Cybill did WHAT now?

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 2:24 AM

Renew was perfect and deserved the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 2:26 AM

Judy deserved an Oscar, she was great.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 2:28 AM

I loved Winters Bone.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 2:36 AM

[quote] Those jealous bitch voting Frau must be so envious of Scarlett Johansson's beauty.

[quote] Hey, moron, 68% of the academy voters are MALE.

I've been saying this all along, but the only reason Renee won, was because of the gay male voters in the Academy.

They are ALL "Friends of Dorothy," if you know what I mean. And they have been jizzing themselves over since movie, ever since it came out.

Renee sucked, and the movie was lackluster.

But that will never stop these sad old queens, and their obsession with Judy Garland.

Zellwegger didn't deserve the win, but these ancient gay fossils handed it to her, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2020 2:47 AM

[quote]Do they think she was a Harvey girl?

JUDY was a Harvey girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2020 2:59 AM

There just aren’t enough geriatric gay male voters for Renee to win not only the Oscar, but every major precursor award and a decent share of critics’s awards.

It’s simpler than that, R28. She played an iconic celebrity who was either drunk or singing in every scene, and sometimes both at once.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2020 3:01 AM

Well, we know that Leslie Jones didn't vote for her, at least.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2020 3:21 AM

[quote] Except for the ones old enough to remember when she was still alive.

The overwhelming majority of academy voters are elderly white males. Recent additions have done little to change that. Most of the Academy is old enough to remember Garland.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Renee was fantastic and it was well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote] Renee was fantastic and it was well deserved

Says the elderly white queen at R33, who voted for Miss Garland... erm, Miss Zellwegger.

You got your wish, grandma.

Now STFU.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2020 8:13 AM

Agreed R33.

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2020 1:52 PM

Biopics almost always get at least a nomination if not a win. Salma Hayek's nom for Frida was ridic, she struggled to be mediocre which I guess for her is a high. Six of the last best actor winners have all been from biopics. No need to single out Renee.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2020 2:09 PM

R8:

Jennifer Lawrence won her first Oscar for "Silver Linings Playbook."

And she won her second one forrrrr . . . ?

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2020 2:47 PM

Renee Zellweger deserved an Oscar for playing Judy Garland in Judy.

Judy Garland did not deserve an Oscar for playing Judy Garland in a Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2020 3:39 PM

So the gay voters liked Judy. Not Scarlett.

K. Scarlett was robbed. That Laura Dern wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote]R20 Unlike the actors, AMPAS gives short shrift to its veteran actresses, unless it's Streep. They humiliated Glenn Close last year....

She humiliated herself.

As per USUAL.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2020 4:33 AM

In a few years, it’ll be viewed the same way as Meryl’s win in “The Iron Lady”: a faithful impersonation in an unremarkable, serviceable biopic that will be quickly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2020 11:27 AM

She looks like Renee Zellweger in every scene.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2020 12:51 PM

It’ll never be viewed as poorly as Streep’s win for The Iron Lady, R41. That was the worst performance to prevail in that category in decades, the hammiest thing Meryl has ever done and a win purchased wholesale by Harvey Weinstein.

Renee’s win will be greeted more with a shrug. “Well, that’s what Oscar voters like.”

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2020 3:43 PM

Renée benefited from a weak year in the lead actress field. Renée was fine, but voters just lacked enthusiasm for Saoirse and Cynthia for some reason. Saoirse is overdue by now. Charlize and Scarlett were ok, but less than stellar writing and so so scenes didn’t help their cause. Plus being in a biopic always gives you a leg up. Renée is owed an Oscar for Bridget Jones anyway.

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2020 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!