Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do you buy a car? šŸš— šŸš™ šŸš˜

Is the sticker price the price you pay or do you have to haggle with the salesman like youā€™re at a flea market? I donā€™t think I can haggle. Iā€™m too shy and not assertive enough and will fold immediately. How low can the salesman deviate from the listed price? $5000? $10,000? $15,0000?

Whatā€™s the best way to go about this?

by Anonymousreply 77February 19, 2020 5:52 AM

Honey, the best way to go about this is to take someone with you. Someone who can deal with salesmen and haggling. That's what I did because I'm very much like you. There are people who actually like haggling with sales people. Find one and let them do the work, take them to lunch as a thank you. You will save thousands $$.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 9:16 PM

Or test drive, then look up online someplace like carfax and buy it that way. They deliver it to your door.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 9:20 PM

Are there places where the sticker price IS the price so you donā€™t have to deal with haggling?

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 9:20 PM

carfax. The price is the price.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 9:23 PM

Yes, you haggle. And yes, bring someone. Also, test drive. What I did is I said I liked it and wanted a break, and left. I bought it the next weekend. They didnā€™t drop the price, but I tried. I think it must be useful to leave as though youā€™re not gonna buy it at that price. Donā€™t forget to give them a number where they can reach you.

Make sure you look in Kellyā€™s Blue Book for used car valuation. Donā€™t forget the adjustments: a low mileage car is worth more, and so forth. The book will tell you what to add or subtract for adjustments to get the typical or average price.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Go at the end of the month and close to closing time.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 9:39 PM

Research what I want and how much I want to pay. Then call around until a dealership agrees to the price. Make one call and that's it. It worked the last time I bought a car.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 9:42 PM

I found my Camaro searching online...it was at a dealership with only 2500 miles on it last year. it was a 2017. They were asking 24k for it...I said I could only pay 19k and they took it...

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 9:45 PM

If youā€™re a member of AAA, use their car buying service.

They negotiate. You just pick out the color and sign. Itā€™s worth it to join AAA to get the discount.

Another option is using your credit unions car buying service.

Iā€™ve done it with three cars in a row. All three were cars that were not being discounted by the dealers and I got at least $2k off the sticker of each car.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2020 9:48 PM

If you already own a car, check with your insurance company - they may also offer a car buying service.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] carfax. The price is the price.

Do you mean CarMax? Carfax does not sell cars to my knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2020 9:54 PM

CarFlax: when you want your car wrapped in a sweater.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2020 10:24 PM

CarBlax: you tell them what you want and the brothers will boost it for you.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2020 10:25 PM

[quote]All three were cars that were not being discounted by the dealers and I got at least $2k off the sticker of each car.

Is $2k a good price to get off? Or do people haggle for $5k off and more.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2020 10:31 PM

r3, yes. Tesla. So just buy a Tesla, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2020 10:34 PM

You can also buy cars through Costco for pre-negotiated discounts.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2020 10:38 PM

R15, how much be a Tesla?

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2020 10:41 PM

If you're buying a new car, maybe call / go to two different dealerships and see which one gives you the lower price.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2020 10:41 PM

OP, Teslas are electric cars that require charging and have limited range, FYI.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2020 10:45 PM

I inherited a large sum of money and I elected to buy a car and pay in full. The dealership wanted $31,000 for the car and I haggled down to $28,000. I started to write a check and the salesman said "Hold on, let's look at financing." I continued to write the check and told him to go ahead and put the numbers together. When I asked him how much money I would pay in total if I financed it, he said "$41,000". I asked him why on earth I would finance it if I saved $13,000, as I handed him the check. He was PISSED!

I held back a laugh as I drove off in my new dream car.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2020 10:47 PM

Wait, Teslaā€™s are electric? You canā€™t put gas in them? How do I charge? With my outlet? USB?

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2020 10:47 PM

Or hire a car broker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2020 10:48 PM

You gotta get that Tru Coat!

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2020 10:50 PM

R20, what was the dream car?

Why was he pissed? A sale is a sale. Doesnā€™t he get credit for selling it to you?

by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote]What I did is I said I liked it and wanted a break, and left. I bought it the next weekend. They didnā€™t drop the price, but I tried.

Why give advice when your method failed?

by Anonymousreply 25February 17, 2020 10:55 PM

OP, first educate yourself about the price you should be paying. Try to find an online forum for the car you're interested in, and see if there is a "prices paid" thread that gives you an idea of what people have paid for their vehicles. I used the Honda CRV Owners Club forum when doing my research, for example.

Then, you can negotiate by email. Contact as many dealers around you (and farther afield if you're willing) by email and ask them for their best price on the model you want (be very specific about the car, trim-level, etc.). Then, when the quotes come in, play them off one another. Take you're best quote, go back to the other dealers and ask them if they can beat it. Lather, rinse, repeat until you achieve a price you are satisfied with (based on your research).

I'm so shy, just sending out the emails made me shrink in my seat a little. But now that I've done it I can say it's easy as pie.

by Anonymousreply 26February 17, 2020 10:57 PM

R22, Tom MacParland of Automatch contributes to the blog Jalopnik. I would use his service in a hot second, as negotiating is not one of my skills.

Having said that, determine what car you want, search online inventory, and email the internet sales folks at the dealerships asking for their best out the door price. Of those that reply, work from there. Remember you want out the door price including document fees and any dealership fees.

by Anonymousreply 27February 17, 2020 10:57 PM

Carguru is a good starting point. Carmax is a no negotiating place. Itā€™s hard to know when negotiating at a dealership - especially with used cars . Soooo many variables. Kelly blue book is helpful - which Carguru uses. But unless itā€™s a new car, ā€œgood dealā€ can be very hard to assess within a range.

by Anonymousreply 28February 17, 2020 11:06 PM

OP, I relate to you on a deep level. I am so painfully shy it isnā€™t funny. Last time I went in to buy a car, my husband was playing hardball with the salesman (I didnā€™t realize) and I apologized to both of them for being so picky. I really wasnā€™t, but he was trying to get them to upgrade something that he said should come standard...it was not the right thing to say.

Iā€™m currently in the market for a new car. We are going window shopping this evening, husband said we wonā€™t buy until the end of the month. He also said I can stay at home this time, heā€™s taking his brother.

by Anonymousreply 29February 17, 2020 11:08 PM

I went to Kia because they're good cars, I like their cars and don't care what the neighbours think: I asked for a Sportage; they showed me two Sorentos. They had hundreds of cars there but wouldn't show me what I wanted even though online that branch had plenty of Sportages for sale. A few weeks later the rather dumbass 'salesman' phoned me up to see if he could interest me in visiting the showroom again; I declined. I have had it with Kia, regrettably.

by Anonymousreply 30February 17, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] R25: Why give advice when your method failed?

The salesman told me that they had advertised it on the web, and couldnā€™t haggle with cars so advertised, because people checked valuations at home and would know if it was overpriced, essentially.

Besides, my story is anecdotal. Any one personā€™s experience is not necessarily reflective of the norm. I did say I didnā€™t get a price reduction but I did get a price commensurate with its blue book value, so I think they didnā€™t lower the price because it already was at the lowest possible.

And I think itā€™s good advice, in any event. Not just for a car, but any commodity where there is a large supply. In most cases, even if you lose the car you first liked, you can find another car that is similar or better. The limiting factor is your own time, which only you can value.

by Anonymousreply 31February 17, 2020 11:16 PM

We bought a car with Carvana. If you do your homework, you can get some good deals.

by Anonymousreply 32February 17, 2020 11:19 PM

OP, are you buying a new car or used?

If a used car, I like to by a manufacturer certified car. This means you have a maintenance warranty on many items so that they donā€™t cost you much, or anything, for a period of time, such as two years. It makes me more comfortable that Iā€™m not buying a lemon.

by Anonymousreply 33February 17, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote] Honey, the best way to go about this is to take someone with you. Someone who can deal with salesmen and haggling.

I went that route as a teenager on my first car purchase, took my father, test drove the car negotiated the price, asked my father what he thought and he said if I liked it then it was up to me. After the purchase was signed and sealed he says to me "I think you paid too much".

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote] I asked him why on earth I would finance it if I saved $13,000, as I handed him the check. He was PISSED!

[quote] He was pissed because you took away his ability to maximize the profit, and his commission. When you finance a car and let the dealership arrange the financing they contact all their financing sources to see what rates they can get you. Then the dealership will add an average of 2% on top of the financing rate from the bank or finance company. Buyers who aren't savvy will never know what hit 'em. It's all a massive scam.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2020 11:30 PM

I have owned 6 cars; paid in full at closing each time. But I can't haggle even at a flea market!

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2020 11:36 PM

[quote] You gotta get that Tru Coat!

My Aunt is a ballbuster. She tells them to take off the Tru Coat (they can't) and take out all the extras (they can't). She'll sit there all day, but she gets the price she wants

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2020 11:37 PM

I once went with a platonic friend to a car dealership. The car salesman thought we were a couple, however. I hated the car that my friend was considering buying (did end up buying it). The car salesman sensed I didn't like the car and I am convinced that my friend got a better price on the car because of me being there. (Salesman felt he needed to lower the price to counter-balance my not liking the car.)

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2020 11:38 PM

R27, yes I know. I learned of his services through Jalopnik. The fee he charges is well worth the hassle of dealing with dealers directly.

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2020 11:42 PM

My bank had a service where they approved you for a loan, based on a particular make and model car. You chose the car, they approved the loan, and wrote a check. They had local dealerships they worked with who had a biz agreement with the bank to sell the car for the amount the bank approved.

And not a single dealership would actually do the deal. They put me through all sorts of bullshit, waiting around, telling me fees weren't included (they were), trying to sell me alternative financing, claiming the car wasn't in stock and couldn't be ordered. Five dealerships did this to me. I ended up pulling my money out of USAA over this, because USAA claimed they couldn't do anything about the rude and scammy behavior of the dealerships.

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote] How do you buy a car?

You drop to your knees immidiately you encounter the salesman.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2020 12:10 AM

R40, are you a vet?

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2020 12:42 AM

R29/Ernst - how was car shopping? What kind of car is husbear having you look at? Will you test drive before the end of the month? What are you driving in the mean time?

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2020 12:52 AM

R42 Pit pony doc or old army slut?

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2020 12:53 AM

OP, buying a new car is very different than a used car. What are you buying, or are you versatile?

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2020 12:53 AM

Inspired by this thread, i looked up the 2015 Honda fit on carmax. It is incredible that they want 14kon a 30k mi fit which i assume is before various fee. Back in 2015, i could have gotten a fit brand new for 15k. It is crazy how ppl keep saying about buying a used with low milage because car loses value once it is off lot. From my experience, i don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2020 12:58 AM

They use the Black Book which is different from the Blue Book. When they want you to buy they use the Black Book. When they want to buy your vehicle they use the Blue Book.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2020 1:00 AM

I don't have a car anymore. Everything is deliverd to me. The only slight prob I have is the bank, but I can walk there or take my pushbike (4.2 miles round trip). Everyone else in the neighborhood has a car (or two); they are just not well-orginized and are burning gas.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2020 1:01 AM

Totally agree R46. Maybe that was the case before, but now I havenā€™t seen any used cars with less than 40k miles that are that much cheaper than new. Iā€™ve done a ton of research - and it really doesnā€™t make sense to buy a used car unless there is no way you can afford $18,000.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2020 1:01 AM

R46, I own a 2015 Fit EX I bought new, and am pleasantly surprised at how it's help its value.

Luxury cars depreciate much faster, as do American cars that aren't trucks or Jeeps.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2020 1:08 AM

I had a Jeep; it was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2020 1:10 AM

It was terrible, R43. We are looking at Subarus (the only kind my husband will buy) and it was literally hell. He just kept talking about their engines and trim levels. He would ask me questions and expect intelligent responses. I just kept telling him I wanted my old car back. Apparently there was some big change between the 17 model year and 20 model year...the correct answer apparently was not to ask to look at the used cars. I offered up sexual favors to get him to leave, he took me up on it.

He has a schedule for these things. We apparently look today, test drive this weekend, and then they buy the next weekend. There is a plan that I must stick to!

In the mean time I am just not driving. My in-laws live within walking distance, so if something happens I can just walk there.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2020 2:12 AM

r20 the dealership makes a fortune on financing and so does the salesperson who talks one into it

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2020 1:54 PM

OP watch those cars with the CVT one speed transmissions...they suck!

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2020 1:55 PM

Doing months of research - and the one thing I hear repeatedly is no CVT. I think the RAV4 doesnā€™t have it but the Honda CR-V does

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2020 2:12 PM

The RAV4 has the CVT now R55.

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2020 2:16 PM

The RAV4 hybrid has the CVT

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2020 2:22 PM

I thought only the hybrid Rav4 has CVT - not the regular has one.

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2020 6:24 PM

Has anyone tried

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2020 10:41 PM

a Mazda CX something? They look good.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2020 10:42 PM

Buy a Mercedes. You pay sticker. If you try to haggle, they ask you to leave!

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2020 10:57 PM

If you have to ask the price ...

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2020 11:01 PM

I just bought a used car. Went to a dealership where they had the car I wanted at a really good price. When we started talking about price I asked them to take $1500 off. Of course they brought in the fast talking manager who tried to brow beat me into taking the stated price. Finally I just said, well what can you do for me? And he gave me $500 off. I was fine with that so I bought the car.

by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2020 11:50 PM

Carfax ... is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2020 11:55 PM

I was buying a new car and I asked the dealership to give me their best offer. They did and I walked. They called me a few days later and I told them xyz dealers would give me the same vehicle for x amount of money. They now were willing to match the other dealership. Needless to say I didn't buy the vehicle from them.

by Anonymousreply 65February 18, 2020 11:55 PM

R20 If you had purchased the car 1 year "used", you would've saved another 13,000!

Ha ha. Jokes on you!

by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2020 12:08 AM

Ewww, used.

by Anonymousreply 67February 19, 2020 12:10 AM

I went through this in December. Have an idea of what you want before you get to the dealership lot. Check the manufacture website and see if there are any incentives (e.g. $1000 off). Search the web for the "invoice price" that the dealer paid the manufacturer. Visit the dealership's website and find out their posted "freight fee". Even if you negotiate a price of $20,000, they will somehow come up with a total price of $24,000 after they've added all the fees and taxes.

When you get to the dealership, tell them you need to buy a car in the next few days. After the negotiation, act like you're going to walk away. Don't be rude about it. Instead, act clueless. "I really like this care, but I need to think about it a little longer. I'm visiting my mom out of town over the weekend, and I have an appointment at the dealership near her house. After that, I'll be able to make up my mind." They don't want you to give your sale to their competitor.

by Anonymousreply 68February 19, 2020 12:10 AM

If you have the money, a new car is such a pleasure!

I bought my car used 15 years ago. leather interior, perfect sound system, great condition. Iā€™m loving this thread because I need to buy after my mortgage refi closes, and things have changed in 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 69February 19, 2020 12:14 AM

OP, a new car loses several thousand dollars in value when you drive it off the lot. If you try to sell it on day two, I mean. Thatā€™s why I recommend a manufacturer certified car. I like saving the money. If you buy a used car, the value is already reduced, or should be.

I park on a public street and wonā€™t risk a new car out there.

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2020 12:21 AM

Why is buying a car so problematic? What is this Carfax thang? My credit card says that, were I desirous of purchasing a motor, I could get a check or something and go to the dealer and drive the car away: I am not sure what this means.

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2020 12:25 AM

I'm the CarFAX guy. I'm sorry, I meant CarMAX. My sister has bought her last 3 cars through CarMax and prefers it, because she doesn't have to deal with salesmen. The DO have CarMax car lots. Check their website.

by Anonymousreply 72February 19, 2020 12:50 AM

A car does not lose thousands of dollars when you drive it off the lot. Itā€™s a myth - that maybe used to be the case. If you research - carguru is useful - you will see 2 year old cars with 20,000+ miles that are about $2,000 less than brand new. And given that the most low-cost, low maintenance period of a cars ownership is the first 2 years/20,000 miles, arguably you actually lose money buying a used car.

by Anonymousreply 73February 19, 2020 12:53 AM

The Carfax guy has to go to the Abbey with Count Dracul.

by Anonymousreply 74February 19, 2020 12:54 AM

r66 is right...a new car depreciates tremendously as soon as you drive it off the lot. My 2017 with the 2500 miles on it was 18k cheaper than the same 2018 model... mine is also the anniversary addition making it's resale more than the 2018-2019 model...so shop wisely

by Anonymousreply 75February 19, 2020 1:01 AM

It most certainly does r 73. I work in a dealership and know the business...perhaps not a higher end Mercedes or BMW but you average car does depreciate a lot

by Anonymousreply 76February 19, 2020 1:32 AM

I was recently in Las Vegas. They have dealerships there that sell 2-year old new cars that haven't been sold yet, at large discounts. They had 2018 model Ford F-150s for less than $25,000.

by Anonymousreply 77February 19, 2020 5:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!