Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Visible: Out on Television"

According to Variety, this new 5-part docuseries on Apple TV+ is a deeply thoughtful and researched look at TV's LGBTQ+ representation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2020 7:32 PM

THR review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Stealth homophobic tranny fucker propaganda. HARD pass.

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2020 5:27 AM

STOP CALLING GAYS Q***R YOU DIRTY FUCKING BREEDERS!

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2020 5:28 AM

And since that glorified anti-gay diatribe from THR invoked [italic]The Jeffersons[/italic]' glorification of the emasculation of the black man, then that's yet more proof George was right and everyone else on both his show and Archie's show was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2020 5:30 AM

If "Laverne" Cox has anything to do with it, then it automatically gets a big red F.

And if Bruce Jenner is in it, I bet they won't be talking about him being on [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] and [italic]Murder, She Wrote[/italic] as the privileged nongay white man he is.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2020 5:40 AM

Apple + sucks cocks in hell.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2020 5:45 AM

I'll give them points if they attack [italic]sWill & disGrace[/italic] as the embarrassingly unfunny and deeply offensive minstrel show it was, is, and always will be, and how it did nothing to stop a generation of gays from being erased by quacks.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2020 5:47 AM

Margaret Cho is married to a man.

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2020 9:46 AM

Trying to lump in LGB with all of this TQ+ garbage is just another way of calling gay men women and lesbians men. By that logic, they might as well include [italic]Bosom Buddies [/italic] even though neither Kip nor Henry were actually gay.

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2020 4:28 PM

I don't have Apple plus TV, does this show move to another platform like Hulu after its initial broadcasts?

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2020 4:32 PM

Watched it yesterday. It shows how homos were depicted on films back in the day, then the usual boo hoo HIV the media is erasing us, Ellen, Will and Grace, the old athlete who's a tranny now, and everybody saying they need to see people like themselves on TV. If you're like that you'll relate, if you don't give a shit about representation it'll make you roll your eyes a lot.

[quote] I'll give them points if they attack sWill & disGrace as the embarrassingly unfunny and deeply offensive minstrel show it was,

They don't attack it but don't dwell on it too much either. They could have been honest and pointed at the show deep and sometimes violent misogyny but of course they didn't. What's-his-face from the show is part of the people being interviewed, so...

by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2020 9:00 AM

The worst part of this documentary is ANDY COHEN. Other than him it’s pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote] Stealth homophobic tranny fucker propaganda. HARD pass.

Clearly you didn’t watch the show or only watched the first episode. People like you are an embarrassment to our community

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2020 6:09 PM

Including trans makes this homophobic. Can't we have ANY gay content that's just gay and makes no concessions to any other group of people?

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote]They don't attack it but don't dwell on it too much either. They could have been honest and pointed at the show deep and sometimes violent misogyny but of course they didn't. What's-his-face from the show is part of the people being interviewed, so...

When I saw Will & Jack grab Grace's breasts, I found it not only spectacularly unfunny, but offensive as well, and doubly offensive to see them use their homosexuality to justify it. I knew then and there that I would hate that show for the rest of my days.

I honestly would rather watch [italic]Amos 'n' Andy[/italic]. I could actually make it through a whole episode of that and even laughed out loud a few times.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 5:16 PM

[quote]if you don't give a shit about representation it'll make you roll your eyes a lot.

It's so easy and stereotypical to be this jaded and "above it all" now. Privilege does this, I guess.

But growing up in the 80's when AIDS was ravaging the community and the President of the US didn't even want to utter the word, it meant something when a show like Mr. Belvedere or Designing Women not only took the topic head on, but reflected Middle America's bigoted stereotypes back at them.

To crap all over this now is nothing but typical modern day cynicism, to which one should roll their eyes out, given how creatively bankrupt today's culture is.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 5:31 PM

What about the fact that Bill Cosby raped a lesbian? Is that touched on at all?

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 5:41 PM

You're completely right, r16. I'm the one who wrote the comment you're responding to. I've lived through some of the crap (hiv panic, therapists still considering being gay as a mental illness that had to be cured, the whole gay marriage hysteria) and now in 2020 at this point everything has been said and repeated again and again and I guess I have victim fatigue. Will we be the next obnoxious cunts demanding reparations ? Those shrinks who damaged countless of gay lives are still making a living, after all. They're old, but those fuckers are still around. Should we go after them ? When does the anger stop and we can move on? It's sad to say but I'm sick of hearing about this shit. I'm evidently the last jaded cunt who should have watched that documentary.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 5:43 PM

Of those two shows, R16, only [italic]Designing Women[/italic] showed a gay man who got it from another man. The boy on [italic]Mr. Belvedere[/italic] got it from a blood transfusion, but that was also necessary because it showed there are more ways to get it than unprotected gay sex, and that children can be affected, too.

That's also why it matters that when [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] finally got around to an episode about it, they had one of the main characters get tested for it while showing gays in a positive light doing something other than dying and cheating on each other.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 5:48 PM

I could do without Cox, Jenner, Cohen and the various non-binaries, but the gay content is pretty informative.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 8:00 PM

They ought to mention why [italic]Love, Sidney[/italic] turned out to be such a cop-out when the TV-movie it was based on was more open about the title character being a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 10:57 PM

I'm FFing through the trans stuff. You'd think that trans had as much importance in the public sphere over the last 50 years as gay men and lesbians, from this show.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 1:04 AM

Another thread ruined by that same troll.

by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2020 7:26 PM

Matt Anscher's psychotic breakdowns are never much fun.

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2020 7:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!