Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry Styles Fine Line Part 8

'We don't talk enough

We should open up

Before they pay wall us.'

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2020 10:58 PM

I’m a Larry shipper, a Larry believer if you will.

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2020 1:00 AM

Oh my God, the paywall came down ten minutes after I linked to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2020 1:14 AM

From previous thread:

' I think it's also interesting that also in the BTS video there's a lot of fan talk about how they feel as fans or what Harry stands for or TPWK stuff instead of his actual music.'

Part of his enduring appeal (as with all big stars) is his personality and charisma. He isn't just about the music and never has been, or pretended to be, so I have no clue why you find that 'interesting' and mention it as if it's a revelation.

90% of his stans would still be there whatever type of music he put out. That's why he has such longevity. These fans are with him for life. They're not going to drift away because there wasn't enough rock on album 2 or enough bops on album 1 or too much pop on album 3.

His fans don't expect 'constant validation' either because he hasn't offered that since 2014. If they wanted someone constantly tweeting them and doing Q and As they'd be stanning Niall Horan.

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2020 1:16 AM

I think Heartbreak Weather is going to flop. Niall's arena tour has only sold about 10% of tickets and his latest single is at 120 on the UK iTunes and 90 on the US ones. It won't be charting this week on the Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2020 1:18 AM

R77 Yes I think the only explanation is that Harry is on a 360 deal but it's still a massive deal! I've said before and I'll say again that, especially since he went solo, I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth and imo if you enter into an $80 million deal ( whatever the details are) then you were confident enough to think that you would not only be very successful, but MORE successful than 1d. He could've gone down a much more low key route ( and avoided the pressure I think he definitely has put himself under) but he was promoted by his own label as the 2nd coming from the outset and any humility on his part now is imo as a result of the HS1 era not meeting expectations.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2020 7:21 AM

R78 I also think the marketing/promo has been more younger fan centred this time with the listening parties, Eroda thing and the Do You Know Who You Are messages etc.. As I've said I also think the promo/marketing campaign this time has however generally been on a much bigger scale. On the other hand I can see why one poster says Harry himself does the bare minimum promo wise. Harry avoids social media/ fan interaction as much as possible. Pretty much the only interaction fans get is when they 'get barricade' on tour and 'get noticed' which is what most tour going fans seem to aspire to. He is also pretty lazy in his many radio interviews ( I think he probably only made it into the studio for the BBC in the UK & most celebs wouldn't get away with that). So his marketing team has interacted with fans on his behalf this time around with the positive message game and the Eroda thing without any effort on Harry's part. So as I say I can see both sides of that and it just reaffirms the divide between the public side and his very very private side.

I do also think they've gone back to basics with the promo/marketing this time around to focus on his former 1d /younger fanbase because I just don't think he expanded his fanbase in the way he wanted with HS1 ( which was one of his primary aims according to his Columbia boss). I think he was selective in his promo/marketing the first time around in the hope of appearing to be a more 'serious' musican and appealing to an older age group. I mean he said himself he took himself too seriously with HS1. When you look at the crowds on tour however that is where the money is and that crowd continues to be predominantly younger girls, whether he likes it or not, who continue to be fans of him first and foremost far more so than his music imo. The fact that so many of them are now saying that they didn't really like alot of the songs on HS1 after all and that this album 'speaks' to them so much more because Harry now feels safe and free enough with them to bare his soul this time around etc

I know this all sounds very cynical but sorry to keep banging on about it there is ALOT of money invested in Harry . He is a business and every decision made is a business decision first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2020 8:18 AM

Thank you for the new thread!

R3 I didn't mean to sound cynical with the "interesting" and maybe I didn't express it very well. I agree that his personality and charisma (and let's be real, also his looks) are a big factor in his appeal and always were. Personally I come from a less pop background and I think in other genres it tends to be more like you describe it - the fans shift a bit with every album. But I also must admit even with big names, I didn't pay that much attention to what draws fans to acts like e.g. Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Adele and such. I assumed that personality is certainly factor, but I think these artists don't have a "fandom" as such, more casual fans that just like their albums and that's why they buy it or go to concerts?

Anyway, it's clear that for Harry his personality and charm is what fans love about him - it was also what the fans loved about all of 1D. But that is what's interesting to me: He always had that great personality and magnetic charm, it drew people to him for 7 years when he started his solo career. But I think the whole aspect of every fan feeling individually validated by him and accepted, the TPWK stuff, the "safe space" and all that is something that became increasingly important during his solo tour and in this era. He said so himself, in mid 2017 TPWK was just a button on his guitar strap, then it became a motto, a big part of his merchandise, now it's even a whole song and he said he feels there's more to come. And his fans seem to value it very much, even though it's a fairly "new" thing (at least on that scale).

It seems to me that it's a bit of a transition from "mere" personality and charisma, which is a natural part of the parcel, to becoming more of a role model and as such I think he will always be held to a high(er) standard. Maybe sometimes even impossibly high? I guess we'll see, I hope it all works out for him.

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2020 11:18 AM

R6 I already commented on the bare minimum and social media thing in the last thread and I think it still comes down to that. Because while I see the difference to 1D, I don't quite see it to other big artists. When do people get more fan interaction with the artists I mentioned above - Adele, Coldplay, Florence and the Machine, Ed Sheeran etc. I think most of them don't use social media much either. I wonder why so much more is expected from Harry? Is it because (as you aptly put it) among his fans it's more important to individually "get noticed" than for many other artist's fans?

I agree with what you say about HS1 promo, his tour and this era's promo concept. I just think the time frame to expand his audience was incredibly short. His tour tickets went on sale in May and June iirc, of course there were mostly the expected young girls there, and expanding your audience from the difficult position of "ex boyband member" to an older crowd probably takes years. But I assume the Sony/Columbia marketing department knew what they were doing when they corrected course and changed the image and concept for FL promo. It certainly seems to have worked out, as you said, many love FL a whole lot more than his first album and the sales speak for themselves.

It's just funny for "accidents" like me, who are maybe results of the HS1 expansion efforts and not that well versed in the pop world. I was drawn to the (as Pitchfork called it) "more austere" debut album and whole era's image and suddenly it's all sunflowers, candy colours, fun, smilies and fruit cocktails "in this rainbow-parade of psychedelic pop" (Pitchfork again). I mean, it's my fault, because apparently I kind of misread the whole thing when I discovered HS1 and formed a somewhat incomplete image of Harry in my head. It happens. But it's still slightly awkward to realise that and to discover that you're not exactly the target demographic Harry and his team are shooting for lol.

by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2020 12:45 PM

Harry did covered Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi when he did a little acoustic live set on BBC Radio 2 today. It's lovely imho, the harmonies are great and I love that he imitates Joni's laugh at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2020 2:42 PM

Heavy facial hair doesn't suit him. It grows patchily and makes his skin look a bit dirty.

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2020 1:57 AM

R10 I think it looks better in videos than in still photos, but yes. Maybe he likes the juxtaposition of his facial hair and his new accessoires. But in general most of the stuff he does these days with his looks don't suit him imho. His outfit for the BBC live set was not bad, I liked it a lot better than some other stuff this era, but yeah... Personally I think he's one of these people that already look stunning without doing too much. I liked him best in Saint Laurent times, imho it was just the right mixture of fashionable extravagance and casual coolness.

But his fans seem to love and even prefer everything he wears now, so...

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2020 2:26 AM

He's great when he's having fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2020 3:29 AM

The combination of fluffy auburnish hair and big bright green eyes means he looks better in darker plainish clothes but he'll never concede that. The only outfit of his I've liked in recent times was his tight jumpsuit for the Capital Ball.

by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2020 7:10 PM

Harry's first celebrity girlfriend, Caroline Flack, committed suicide aged 40. She was most famous in the US for having dated him. His mother tweeted 'heartbroken'.

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2020 10:39 PM

What an awful tragedy, I don't even know what to say. I don't know details about what issues she went through recently, but it doesn't matter, the tabloids' witch hunts against her were unreal.

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2020 11:41 PM

Walls had a horrendous second week drop of 72 places on the UK charts. US will be worse. His career is over.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2020 4:25 AM

No Judgement is now at 300 on the US ITunes. Niall must be crying into his Guinness.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 1:30 AM

Lizzo did a great cover of Adore You for Live Lounge and changed the first 'oh honey' to 'oh Harry'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 1:41 AM

If you had told me a year ago that Harry's album and tour would be smashing, and Justin Bieber's would be flopping, I would've thought you were crazy. But here we are.

Why do you think this is? I think Harry is just more likable, funny and has a better personality than Justin. Their fans are now in their 20s and they expect more now than just good looks.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 1:49 AM

Harry has grown up musically and lyrically. Fine Line appeals to Boomers and Gen X with the 70s/80s 'real music' vibe it has. You can hear several different types of guitars on it. Plus he has his own rabid fandom who do everything they can to promote him on every social media platform there is, even here.

A lot of Beliebers have tapped out, especially since he got married. You can find them stanning BTS and Shawn Mendes or even Harry, who remains single and 'looking' as he said recently, the ideal position for a heartthrob pop star.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 2:02 AM

[20] speaking truths. I agree with all of this.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 6:40 PM

R11 R13

His look at the brits is not for me. The granny collar, the mary janes, along with pearls are a no. Doing too much. Just start your Caitlyn Jenner transition already.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 6:43 PM

Pearls, sweater, painted nails, bell bottoms and Mary Janes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 7:12 PM

The outfit Harry wore for his performance was not my taste. These ugly oufits take away from his performances. He brings the ridicule upon himself.

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 8:04 PM

Ugh, what can I say. This guy is so incredibly talented, he has the voice, the charm, the looks. And his song Falling... what a performance! Beautiful stage set as well. But he has gone full Liberace now - and it doesn't fit him. It's not like Prince. He just looks like he got put into something by his stylists. R22 and R24, I think you're right, it looks too forced and ridiculous. And it detracts from his music too. Like I said, he has a great voice and Falling is a great song to showcase this. He did so well in this performance, but most people won't talk about it, just his lacy psych ward outfit. It makes me sad about his potential. Like R20 said, a lot of people are still discovering Harry, but I think he'll become more and more known for his weird, ugly outfits and "heartthrob pop star" status, not his actual talent and personality.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 10:25 PM

Harry's performance of Falling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 10:28 PM

Harry was robbed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 10:29 PM

I thought Harry's performance of Falling tonight was the best ever live performance he's done. It was in exactly the right key for him and he held the last high note forever.

His hair when he was wearing the lemon yellow suit was a disaster. He is receding in an M shape and needs hair on his forehead to disguise it. He also should colour his hair darker if he wants to wear some many bright primary colours, and SHAVE that ugly facial hair ffs.

HOWEVER, of all the performance at the Brits, Falling did the best on the UK itunes in the immediate aftermath- within half an hour it had shot up nearly 400 places to number 3, where it remains. Not bad for an album track! Billie's Bond tune was already at number one and remained there, but Harry outsold all the others, including Stormzy and drunken Fataldi.

Niall's new single didn't benefit from his appearance at the Brits, and went down 40 places to 196. I wonder why it's doing so badly? It also charted today at 97 on the Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2020 12:20 AM

Poor old Louis Floplinson's album exited the Billboard 200 today, a drop of more than 191 places! Seems that only Louies bought it. They are all fuming and blaming HSHQ.

Niall's sophomore era isn't going well at all. He'll have an okay first week with bundles and then a Louis type drop in his second week.

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2020 12:24 AM

part 9 in case they attack this one because it's a moving target tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2020 12:29 AM

Justin Bieber's new album Changes is set to debut with 270k , with tour bundles. This is 200k less than Harry Styles debuted with two months ago. He won't be happy as he used to outsell Styles and 1d easily.

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2020 12:33 AM

Harry is a handsome young man. But he is wasting his good years dressing like a clown.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 6:16 AM

R28 Not sure colouring his hair and all those chemicals would be good for the receding hairline tbh. But I think his hair is fine, he always looked great with his natural hair colour. If it doesn't fit the colour choices of his outfits, I think he should rather rethink these outfit choices than his hair colour. But because I'm curious I still tried giving him darker hair in a photo manip app, but to me it didn't make it much better. Actually the darker the hair, the more focus on his hairline, which personally I don't have a problem with - it's nearly the same as back in 2015, but I feel people noticed it less, because the long hair looked really good on him and his whole style was so dashing.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 5:28 PM

His hairline had noticeably receded a bit further back at the Brits. He should disguise it but clearly isn't bothered. The facial hair and raised eyebrows in every pic make him look clownish.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 11:29 PM

People seem to have moved to part 9 already

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2020 1:25 AM

People are here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2020 10:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!