Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flying over the United States

Have you ever done it?

It made me realize just how RURAL this country is.

You can fly hours and hours, over deserts, and plains, and mountains, and only occasionally pass a city or urban area, here and there.

The majority of this country is just open land, and much of it is in the Western United States.

Try flying cross-country, once or twice, and you'll see what I mean.

Then it will make much more sense why this country is full of Deplorables.

Cities are few and far between, and all of the Liberals and Progressives are concentrated in these areas.

The rest of the country is basically Bumfucke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 22, 2020 1:14 AM

This is basically what you see, when you fly cross-country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2020 6:16 PM

How does one fly across the country? Is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2020 6:26 PM

R2 is from Bumfucke, Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2020 6:31 PM

the fact of the matter is - ALL of the americas - from the north pole to tierra del fuego - are underpopulated compared to the rest of the world. yes, the north american continent is fairly empty

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2020 6:33 PM

Then you haven't driven cross country yet.

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2020 7:00 PM

Meaning, R5?

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2020 7:08 PM

Much of middle America, middle CA even, is farm land. Your point is? Where the hell do you think your crops come from?

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2020 7:12 PM

The point is that city people tend to live in a bubble, R7. You goddamned moron.

Do you have any critical thinking skills, whatsoever?

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2020 7:15 PM

I've driven across country a few times, but the drive that surprised me the most was the one through northern California. It may as well have been Idaho, the Dakotas, Mississippi or Nebraska. Northern California is full of deplorable bumfucks driving monster trucks with gun racks.

by Anonymousreply 9February 13, 2020 7:16 PM

I fly a ton. It never ceases to intrigue me when flying into LA or SFO, that last 1.5 hours over desolate desert land. I love to look down and spot one tiny lone road going to nowhere. A small shack w nothing around it. It must be all owned by US government but it is fascinating. I want to know what all that nothingness is about.

by Anonymousreply 10February 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Indeed, R9.

I was flying into San Francisco, and until you reach the metro area, all you see are mountains, two lane roads, lakes, and an occasional house.

It's really surprising how rural it is, once you leave the big city.

by Anonymousreply 11February 13, 2020 7:21 PM

I've flown across the USA from coast to coast more times than I can count, and driven it 3 times. This is a huge country and like most countries the largest consolidations of populations are near the coasts. But frankly, all that land we think looks devoid of people really isn't. Of course there are expanses of land that are inhospitable to human habitation, but much of the bare looking land in the USA has plenty of people living on it. And thank goodness for that. I'd hate to think how miserable it would be to live in the US if the whole country was packed with massive cities.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2020 7:23 PM

A huge chunk of America is green acres, basically.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote] It never ceases to intrigue me when flying into LA or SFO, that last 1.5 hours over desolate desert land. I love to look down and spot one tiny lone road going to nowhere. A small shack w nothing around it. It must be all owned by US government but it is fascinating

Same here, R10!

I love looking down at the desert, or mountain areas, and seeing nothing but bare land, and then... surprise! A lone house in the middle of nowhere.

It's really surprising how many flyover areas, have just that kind of place.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote] I love to look down and spot one tiny lone road going to nowhere. A small shack w nothing around it. It must be all owned by US government but it is fascinating. I want to know what all that nothingness is about.

Girl you should download Google Earth pro and zooooooooom

I can lose hours doing that, looking at little houses and sites with great image resolution

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote] A huge chunk of America is green acres,

Darling, I love you but give me Park Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2020 7:36 PM

40%of America is uninhabitable. It’s deserts & mountain ranges. We’ve diverted rivers to feed the cities, so those areas will never be developed. Meanwhile, places like Louisiana & Texas are accelerating the process of making habitable land uninhabitable through corporate misuse & pollution. Salt mines are swallowing bayous. Fracking is pumping polluted waste water inside the earth, where it’s unreachable In the future.

Wherever you see mountain ranges, there will be desert on the other side due to rain shadows. I don’t mean little mountains like the Catskills or Adirondacks (hills, really). The Adirondacks have a very slight rain shadow in Champlain Valley, but no desert.

For all the empty land we have, most of it will stay empty. Especially the parts we’ve contaminated with nuclear waste.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2020 7:37 PM

From the minute you fly east of LA, you basically see no inhabited areas, except for a little town here and there, and then of course, the bigger cities like Vegas, Denver, etc.

The only major concentration of people, with very little open space, would be the New York-New Jersey metro area.

Other than that, the US is pretty much all country side.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2020 7:48 PM

I think that, too, we have no problem with overcrowding or space for waste management.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2020 7:57 PM

I think that, too, we have no problem with overcrowding or space for waste management.

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2020 7:57 PM

OP That question is so revealing

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2020 8:02 PM

We have so much land...whyvdidn't we make space for Israel in Texas? Why did they have to go back to the Middle East?

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote] Much of middle America, middle CA even, is farm land. Where the hell do you think your crops come from?

Duh. The supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2020 8:43 PM

I took a road trip from Vancouver BC & New Mexico. There were areas where you could catch maybe one radio station, country music or talk radio.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2020 9:11 PM

[quote] Much of middle America, middle CA even, is farm land. Your point is?

That is the point. That much of America is uninhabited. Mountain ranges, desert, ranch land and farmland.

You’re not very good at logic, are you? You restated what another person stated & then asked what the point was. The statement........was the point, mook

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2020 9:15 PM

I sometimes wonder if there are really some "Children of the Corn" places in the U.S.

With so many creepy small towns, there must be some.

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2020 9:17 PM

There's a lot of this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2020 9:25 PM

And this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2020 9:26 PM

R22 Moses was hard of hearing.

He mistook Canaan for Canada.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2020 9:27 PM

[quote] We have so much land...whyvdidn't we make space for Israel in Texas? Why did they have to go back to the Middle East?

The early Zionist movement considered Argentina, Mozambique and other places for the establishment of Israel. America wouldn't have wanted all those Jews.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2020 9:37 PM

And lots of this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2020 9:39 PM

Ninety-seven percent (97%) of the country’s landmass is classified as rural by the US Census. Really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2020 9:42 PM

Always a helpful reminder as to how people can think so differently. So many isolated people.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2020 9:52 PM

And those people who live in that 97% of the country, have WAY more political power, than they should!

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2020 9:55 PM

I remember as a young man taking care bus across half the country. I cannot remember anything after NJ - all a sleepy hazy blur with a solitary farmhouse in a field in the distance I still saw after what seemed like hours.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2020 10:11 PM

[quote]40%of America is uninhabitable.

Yes. All of the southern states.

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2020 10:16 PM

I dream of living somewhere with no one else around.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2020 10:36 PM

R2 goes Greyhound.

He sees the same thing, but with cows.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2020 10:38 PM

[quote] I remember as a young man taking care bus across half the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote] Have you ever done it?

No, OP. No one's ever done it except for you.

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote] I dream of living somewhere with no one else around.

When you fly over these remote places, and see just how isolated some of these people are, you might reconsider.

Some of these flyover homes are literally in the middle of nowhere. Not a town nearby, or in sight.

Now THAT'S scary.

What do you do in an emergency?

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2020 10:42 PM

OP may just be that guy who is the only one to leave his window open for the whole flight, annoying everyone around him who want to rest or watch a movie without the glare.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2020 10:44 PM

Well yeah, duh. Most of the America is fairly empty.

There are only a few scattered areas of high population density. Primarily the eastern seaboard and southern California.

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2020 10:47 PM

I totally am, R42.

And I couldn't care less what you think.

So keep punching the seat in front of you. PSYCHO.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2020 10:47 PM

Population density of America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote] OP may just be that guy who is the only one to leave his window open for the whole flight,

You can’t open a window on an airplane, silly.

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2020 10:51 PM

I recommend taking a helicopter OP.

It’s the only way to go. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2020 10:51 PM

That's pretty much what you see when you fly cross country, R45.

Lots of this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2020 10:52 PM

Yet they have as much representation in the Senate as NY or CA. This democracy thing is no longer working.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2020 10:58 PM

About 20% of the country's population lives on the eastern seaboard in the DC to Boston corridor, which comprises 2% of the country's land.

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2020 11:09 PM

You're right, R50.

People are JAMMED into the DC-NY-Boston megalopolis.

That area has the highest population density, as well.

NJ: 1207 people per square mile.

RI: 1010 people per square mile

MASS: 866 people per square mile.

Connecticut: 741 per square mile.

The top four most densely populated states.

Contrast that with the bottom four:

Alaska: 1 person per square mile

Wyoming: 6 people per square mile

Montana: 7 people per square mile

North & South Dakota: 11 people per square mile.

This is bad for blue states, and good for red states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2020 11:18 PM

Eerily enough, OP, I was just thinking about this earlier today.

Hmmm. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2020 11:31 PM

When I look at skyscrapers, I think about all of the people working inside them, shuffling papers and typing.

by Anonymousreply 53February 14, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] Yet they have as much representation in the Senate as NY or CA. This democracy thing is no longer working.

That was the intention in having 2 US senators per state, regardless of population and regardless of geographical size. So that the less populated and smaller states don’t get bulldozed, metaphorically.

by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2020 12:27 AM

DC- Boston corridor is the place to be.

When I look at that map I’m surprised by how many white & pink spots I see on the water between Delmarva & FL. It’s not like we have cliffs on the water on the East Coast. Then I’m surprised by how much density I see inland. I’m guessing that’s Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Richmond. Didn’t realize how far inland those areas are.

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2020 12:32 AM

Every time I fly over the Rocky Mountains I think "how in the hell did people cross this in covered wagons back in the 1800s?" It really is remarkable to think about the perseverance they had to get through the winters and the rough terrain and make it to CA or OR or wherever.

I also like to try to guess the city based on the route and landmarks like lakes or rivers. The Chicago skyline is cool to see from the air, same for the Hoover Dam on the Vegas approach.

Nighttime is great to see little towns interspersed with big cities and a lot of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 56February 14, 2020 2:19 AM

I'll leave the sun behind me

And I'll watch the clouds as they sadly pass me by

Seven miles below me

I can see the world and it ain't so big at all

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2020 2:44 AM

[quote] I’m surprised by how much density I see inland. I’m guessing that’s Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Richmond. Didn’t realize how far inland those areas are

I have a feeling that it has to do with the frequent hurricanes that batter that particular stretch of coastline.

Whenever a hurricane hits, it's usually in between Florida and Virginia.

I guess they learned from experience, and built inland, rather than on the coast.

by Anonymousreply 58February 14, 2020 4:56 AM

I flew in a small plane south to Vegas over Utah on a beautiful blue sky spring day; the overhead view of the snowy mountains and red canyons was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen, and the best part of the trip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 14, 2020 5:10 AM

Same here, R59.

I fly Las Vegas to SLC quite often on Delta, and it's a beautiful view. Especially as you get into the mountainous region around Salt Lake City. Those snow capped mountains are so beautiful.

And as you approach Las Vegas, you can see a surprising amount of water (either a lake or a river), and the beautiful red rocks outside of Vegas.

For a desert landscape, it's much more beautiful than one would think.

by Anonymousreply 60February 14, 2020 5:16 AM

I'm a Midwesterner, so I've both flown over it, and driven through it. Years ago, a friend, a native Angeleno, flew East at the invitation of an old school friend. She left California, during an especially bad drought season, to head to Tallahassee. She tried keeping me posted with her itinerary, but her texts and E-mails were nearly inarticulate, so that she finally asked if she could call me. When we finally got in touch, she just kept repeating, "It's green! It's all green, Mark!" It was like some kind of science fiction experience for her. I grew up knowing what it's like to find myself in the middle of a sea of corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2020 7:45 AM

The NC coast is composed of shallow sounds (bays) and shifting sands, no good place for a huge port city.

by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2020 8:00 AM

What was "all green," R61?

Tallahassee? Or the land outside California, as she flew overhead?

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2020 9:15 AM

[quote] Every time I fly over the Rocky Mountains I think "how in the hell did people cross this in covered wagons back in the 1800s?"

Pffft. I managed to get [italic]elephants[/italic] over the Alps in 218 BC, R56!

What’s a few horses and carts by comparison?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2020 10:08 AM

I’ve driven across the US 4x. This includes from LA to NY, and back, from SF to NY, and back. And I’ve flown throughout the US, too many times to even count.

Anyhow, one thing I love doing when driving, is taking unknown roads, and getting lost, not knowing exactly where it is I’m going to, but just driving and taking the landscape in.

I have come across little, tiny towns, where blight is overwhelming. They’re like ghost towns. Barns, Victorian homes that look like skeletons of their former embodiment, still standing, through years of changing weather. Cemeteries, where tombstones reveal very short lives of children who lived just a few years, their families buried beside them. Churches that are hidden away from view, accessed via roads consisting of rich red, dirt, or cobblestone. The desert at daybreak, and in the still of the night, and thousands of tiny little stars, twinkling a million miles away. The harvest moon illuminating cotton fields, skinny, underfed horses, grazing hay and tall grass, interspersed with tumbleweed and heavy, lazy trees, shadowing them from the sun. Every now and then, a lone walker would appear on a lesser traveled road, going who knows where? I’ve ridden on horseback through mountains and hills, and have come across cattle, roaming freely, coyotes, ducks, waterfalls, and caves. I’ve toured the Hoover Dam, and gone down south, to the Gulf of Mexico, driven through border towns, and have gotten some gorgeous Native American jewelry from little tourist spots, sprinkled sparsely though the southwest.

My bucket list is filled with places and things I want to travel through, like walking the Appalachian Trail, boating through the Everglades, and seeing parts of Alaska, Utah, Montana, and New Mexico that I have yet to see, while traveling in an RV so that I may stay a bit, and explore further.

America is a BEAUTIFUL country, and seeing it from the sky, offers only a partial view of it’s vastness and history.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2020 11:50 AM

You sure do have a way with words, R65.

How romantic. :o)

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2020 12:12 PM

Bravo

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2020 12:40 PM

I drove the southern route from Philly to LA (stopped to see family in Texas). That state is EMPTY. I'd check grindr for giggles and the nearest guy was 40 miles away. Houses in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2020 3:09 PM

And almost everyone in flyover land has an IQ of 30 at best.

by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote] I drove the southern route from Philly to LA (stopped to see family in Texas). That state is EMPTY.

What state?

by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] I drove the southern route from Philly to LA (stopped to see family in Texas). That state is EMPTY.

Interestingly, Texas has nearly 30,000,000 people!!!!

It is the SECOND most populous state, after California.

So where in the fuck are they???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2020 8:44 PM

Gee, it's amazing how many buildings you see when you fly over a city!

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2020 8:47 PM

Drop dead, R72.

You're a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2020 8:49 PM

Texas is a very large state r71. Even 30 million people is a relative drop in the bucket over so much land. Averages out to like 100 people per square mile.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2020 8:51 PM

R74, how does that impact elections?

If the majority of those 30,000,000 people live in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Fort Worth, etc., and the small minority live in rural areas, how does Texas keep voting Republican????

The majority (I'm guessing) are voting for the Democrat, but Democrats rarely win in Texas.

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2020 8:54 PM

Damn. I wish the black separatist movement in the 60s had worked out. America without all the negros would be heaven.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] America without all the negros would be heaven

White American SLAVE TRADERS in the Southern U.S. would have disagreed with you.

Without slaves, they would have actually done the work THEMSELVES.

Which we all know, would never have happened. Because they were all lazy fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2020 9:23 PM

Yeah, but some northerns had the Liberia plan, which unfortunately didn't happen. Black separatism, the Liberia solution... so many wasted opportunities. It makes me sick. There is still time, I hope. If blacks want America so badly, let the whites have their own ethnostate.

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2020 9:28 PM

Poor R76.

As much as you hate black people, do you really think that YOU would have been out picking cotton in those fields?

Or serving the massuh?

Give me a fucking break, you lazy piece of dog shit.

You hate black people, yet you would NEVER have done what they did for white people in the United States.

This country was literally built on their broken and whipped backs.

While you and your ilk, sat back and sipped Mint Juleps on your front porch.

You would never have survived even ONE DAY, doing the work that those black people did.

You filthy, disgusting cunt.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2020 9:36 PM

You think the US is rural....you should try flying or driving across Canada. Even flying at night time when there are no clouds, you'll spend many, many minutes before you see lights below. If you fly from the West coast to Europe, about half your flight time is over the Canada and you fly over the northern half of the country....just absolutely no-one there.

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2020 9:39 PM

If black people have all this greatness inside of them, why black majority countries and cities are such inhospitable shitholes?

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2020 9:42 PM

[quote] If black people have all this greatness inside of them, why black majority countries and cities are such inhospitable shitholes?

Bigotry, hatred, and racism are to blame.

If you had only treated black people fairly, and decently, the story would have been much different.

Instead, you chose the path of hatred, violence, and inequality.

And now you are reaping what you sow.

Deservedly.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2020 9:44 PM

It doesn't change the fact that black majority countries are dirty shitholes and the dream of every haitian and black african is to live in white majority countries. Blacks behave and look like apes and they should be treated as such.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2020 9:48 PM

Okay, I'm done.

Psycho asian racist freak has tried to co-opt this thread.

BYE!

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2020 9:54 PM

This thread sure took an ugly turn. :^(

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2020 9:57 PM

R65 has been undressed by kings and she’s seen some things that a woman ain’t supposed to see.

by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote]If blacks want America so badly, let the whites have their own ethnostate.

They do, it's called Europe. Now, get out!

Bon Voyagee!

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2020 10:11 PM

It must be hard for negros to wake up every morning with that ugly black skin, that ugly hair, ugly mouth and that awful smell. Nature was very cruel to your disastrous race. Blacks need to go back to Africa, the dirty shithole where they belong.

by Anonymousreply 88February 14, 2020 10:36 PM

Obvious troll be trollin’.

by Anonymousreply 89February 14, 2020 10:43 PM

r61 I had a similar experience. Native Californian; had never been east of Reno until I was 26 and drove cross-country. I was stunned to see how green everything was, starting around east Texas. Trees everywhere (where they hadn't been cut down.)

by Anonymousreply 90February 14, 2020 11:11 PM

Where did the green start, R90?

I'm guessing the Colorado Rockies?

by Anonymousreply 91February 15, 2020 12:26 AM

r91 Did you read what I wrote: "around East Texas." I didn't drive through Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 92February 15, 2020 1:19 AM

These big empty squares have two senators each .The same representation as Cali and NY .Yet their population doesn't equal that of the San Fernando Valley. Their power is completely out of proportion to their population.. WTF were the founders thinking? We are so fucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 15, 2020 1:36 AM

R56, one of the most moving things I've ever seen in my (fairly extensive) travels was at a historical marker off of Highway 50 somewhere in Kansas--just off the road you can still see, very clearly, the ruts cut into the prairie by the wagons headed west in the 1800s. I know it's a complicated story with tremendously negative effects on indigenous peoples, but something about seeing the tracks left behind by those who risked everything they had--including their lives--in search of something more, something better, out beyond the sunset spoke volumes to me about the American character and spirit.

by Anonymousreply 94February 15, 2020 2:04 AM

It's not just travel abroad that opens your mind. Get in a car and drive around our magnificent country for a couple of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 95February 15, 2020 2:24 AM

R94, MARY!!

And I can say that cause I’m MARYing over your post, too.

by Anonymousreply 96February 15, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote]The point is that city people tend to live in a bubble, [R7]. You goddamned moron.

I don't think there's anything more laughable than when I see this stated by someone in flyover or the south about people who live in major cities on the coasts. People who live in bubbles vote for ignorant, corrupt, racist, bigoted conman trash like Donald Trump, not the other way around, you half-wit.

People exposed to FOX all day in FLYOVER and HICKLAND don't seem to comprehend that their very ignorant, bubble-dwelling asses are watching a network broadcast out of one of the most diverse cities on earth full of the very people they are brainwashed into endlessly demonizing. Meanwhile, those FOX people are eating at ETHNIC restaurants or carts in the city.

Flyover/South are exposed to nothing. Many of us "bubble-dwellers" on the coasts see it when we have to go out there. There is NOTHING of note going on, that's why there's so much time to hate people you've never even known for their race or religion or sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 97February 15, 2020 11:12 AM

Time to take your blood pressure medicine, R97.

That bulging vein in your forehead, is starting to show.

by Anonymousreply 98February 15, 2020 3:40 PM

One bonus of driving cross country is the amount of stars, shooting stars and comets you'll see. I remember stopping somewhere in Colorado and gawping at the Milky Way. Also they don't call Arizona's painted skies for nothing. Rickie Lee Jones described it best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 15, 2020 4:14 PM

Aww, thanks R96--that's the first MARY I've gotten here! Deserved, I agree; however, in my defense I'd had a couple of glasses of wine when I wrote that.

It really is a sight to see, though.

by Anonymousreply 100February 16, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote] So that the less populated and smaller states don’t get bulldozed, metaphorically.

I'm ready to bulldoze these stupid, annoying bitches.

by Anonymousreply 101February 16, 2020 3:55 AM

All true. A day flight over the Grand Canyon is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 102February 16, 2020 1:27 PM

r81 tends to post the same comment in every thread about race. I'm beginning to think that he/she has a head injury.

by Anonymousreply 103February 16, 2020 1:43 PM

R102, I just flew from Vegas to Phoenix last week, and the view was beautiful.

It was early morning, the sun was shining over the desert, and the landscape was stunning.

I'm not sure if it the Grand Canyon, but I saw A canyon. And some pretty rivers and lakes.

Strangely, the Phoenix area was much greener than I thought it would be. They must be using up water, like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 104February 16, 2020 6:03 PM

R79, I ❤️ U.

Hey, white “Christians”, aka: Evangelicals. R79 is an example of when he spoke of a righteous man. R79 is a righteous man.

He said that many of you will call His name, but just like Mimi, he will say, “I do not know you”. Then you will recite a list of all you did for Him, and he will still say, “I do not know you”.

Any righteous, decent man or woman, who claims to be in fellowship with Christ, yet belittles his fellowman as a mere pawn to move around the world, in order to make his or her life more convenient, for either slavery or “going back to Africa”, is not a child of Christ. Any man or woman who can in their right mind, support a conman and true Benedect Arnold as POTUS, is not a man or woman of Christ. I know you guys understand this. It’s why you’re so angry, arrogant, and wicked, inside your hearts.

Sometimes, I hope there really is a heaven, just to see your faces, when Jesus tells y’all, “Nope”.

But guess what? I hope that there isn’t a Christ, who will send anyone, including your rotten souls, to hell. If there is a Christ, helm does not exist.

Anyhow, even trolling over this subject matter is indicative of your true selves. This isn’t funny.

You guys are so, so lost. You really are.

by Anonymousreply 105February 18, 2020 4:24 PM

Thank God for those rural areas. Can you imagine if the majority of this nations was made of shit holes like New York Or L.A.? Population centers are always small and concentrated when compared to the rest of the nation so I am kind of shocked that this would come as a surprise to you. This is common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 106February 18, 2020 4:30 PM

Rural people do not have to be ignorant and mean, except Limbaugh got ahold of them. A mean heart dominates most of them and Rush brought out the bad in him. Idiots can go into schools and shoot up 20 or 30 kids but no one could kill off the cancer, Rush Limbaugh?

by Anonymousreply 107February 18, 2020 4:38 PM

The west is beautiful, so many badlands and when I look at them, I don't believe the scientist and their foolish theories. Honestly, how can anyone look at them and believe we understand the badlands and the painted desert?

by Anonymousreply 108February 18, 2020 4:51 PM

They may be pretty but they’re environmental disaster areas.

by Anonymousreply 109February 18, 2020 5:21 PM

I think it's disgusting that R76 hasn't been banned by Muriel. It's also hilarious when a "sodomite" speaks of some Heaven as if gays would be welcomed. God, some of you are so dumb. You really have zero self-awareness.

by Anonymousreply 110February 19, 2020 12:00 AM

R94's Wheel ruts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 19, 2020 6:30 AM

Thank you, r111!

As someone who knows they’ll never get there, I’m glad I was able to at least see it.

by Anonymousreply 112February 19, 2020 8:58 AM

Americans have always been adventurous and brave.

I think that's what sets us apart from Europeans.

Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2020 3:56 PM

R113, most Americans (60%) don't even have passports. What are you talking about? Trump won because Americans are so provincial, ignorant and scared.

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2020 4:02 PM

The availability of water explains population density. The East and Southeast gets plenty of rain, year round. The Midwest gets a little less, and it's less dependable (drought years, flood years). The west is dry dry dry, except for a narrow strip along the coast and the mountains that catch rain and snow (coastal ranges, Cascades, Sierra Nevada). Even most of the Rocky Mountain states are pretty dry. You can see the same in China, even though the country as a whole is much more densely populated than the US. The east and southeast part of China is incredibly densely populated, but the west (Tibet, Xinxiang, inner Mongolia) are sparsely populated (no water).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 19, 2020 4:48 PM

R65 Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 116February 19, 2020 5:31 PM

i'm convinced they're hiding something there. something big.

by Anonymousreply 117February 19, 2020 5:35 PM

Hilarious how this started off as an elitist snob slagging off 90% of the country and ended with admiration of the pioneering American spirit.

by Anonymousreply 118February 19, 2020 5:52 PM

The area from the Rockies west is some of the most interesting and beautiful landscape in the world. What makes it perfect is the fact that it’s part of a first world country with all the amenities and luxuries we are used to - so traveling there is easy, cheap and safe. After decades of traveling the world, I am very happy now to just go out West for all of my vacations. Something for every season and mood. My favorite thing about living in the US.

by Anonymousreply 119February 19, 2020 6:27 PM

Yes, I agree with r114, most Americans never leave their state. I envy Europeans with the ability to be in another country in as little as an hour. Very inexpensively too.

by Anonymousreply 120February 19, 2020 7:25 PM

Thanks for posting, R111, but that picture is from northeastern Oregon. The ruts I saw in Kansas were much more subtle than that, which to me somehow made them even more moving. They looked more like this, but the grass was bright green when I saw them (I was there in late June).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 19, 2020 8:14 PM

How could you know how old they were, R121?

It's possible that they are only 50 or 60 years old, and not from the 1800's.

by Anonymousreply 122February 19, 2020 8:15 PM

When I was a kid we used to play in the woods & in fields & swamps walking on Indian trails. Now it’s all suburban housing developments & strip malls.

by Anonymousreply 123February 19, 2020 8:16 PM

When I was a kid we used to play in the woods & in fields & swamps walking on Indian trails. Now it’s all suburban housing developments & strip malls.

by Anonymousreply 124February 19, 2020 8:16 PM

As I said in my original posting, R121, there's a historical marker by the side of the road explaining what they are and how long they've been there.

by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2020 10:45 PM

Sorry, I meant the above for R122

by Anonymousreply 126February 20, 2020 10:51 PM

R27, that's a great picture. Love it. All about that big, wide-open sky.

R69, you have no idea what you are talking about.

For those of you complaining about the way the Senate works, you need to take high school government/civics again. The whole point of a bicameral legislature was that one house would represent each state equally (the Senate), and one house would represent each state based on population (the House). The one place where there is disproportional representation is for states like Wyoming and Alaska where their entire population falls below the threshhold for what should be one representative, but they still get a minimum of one, of course, because you can't split a representative...although there are several members of Congress who should be carved up. (I'm looking at you Matt Gaetz, Devin Nunes, Steve KKKing, and Gym Jordan.)

by Anonymousreply 127February 20, 2020 11:34 PM

You all should try to catch the George Washington mini series on the history channel. It’s really good!

by Anonymousreply 128February 21, 2020 12:26 AM

Outside of New York, Boston, Chicago, LA and Palm Beach it's a different country.

by Anonymousreply 129February 21, 2020 1:22 AM

r127 Many states used to set up their bicameral legislatures the same way -- e.g., lower house by population, upper house two per county, or something similar. But then the Supreme Court came along with "one man, one vote" and said it was unconstitutional. So why is is still OK for the federal government?

by Anonymousreply 130February 21, 2020 1:29 AM

There are bi-cameral legs all over the US and the world. Sigh. Flying over the United States

by Anonymousreply 131February 21, 2020 1:43 AM

What are you talking about, R130?

by Anonymousreply 132February 21, 2020 1:46 AM

As far as I know, Nebraska is the only state with a unicameral legislature.

by Anonymousreply 133February 21, 2020 1:52 AM

More and more, I fly over the coasts and enjoy the lands in the middle. You can keep NYC, SFO and LAX. Chicago has gone to hell too.

by Anonymousreply 134February 21, 2020 1:57 AM

Because specific provisions of the Constitution cannot be considered unconstitutional, R130.

by Anonymousreply 135February 21, 2020 2:00 AM

The hatred some sheltered urban liberals have for their own country is utterly bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 136February 21, 2020 2:03 AM

r132 Please READ my post. Some states with bicameral legislatures modeled them after the House and Senate. That is, the lower house had representation based on population, but the upper house had a setup like the Senate. For example: two senators from each county (irrespective of the population.) The Supreme Court declared this to be unconstitutional and now all bicameral legislature have population-based representation in both houses.

Is that clearer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 21, 2020 2:06 AM

I think the wagon runs off Highway 50 in Kansas that previous poster referenced was the Santa Fe Trail. Pics in link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 21, 2020 3:06 AM

Thanks, R137, I learned something.

by Anonymousreply 139February 21, 2020 3:41 AM

You'll get basically the same view, flying over pretty much anywhere.

I'd say that most of the world is rural.

Cities are the exception.

by Anonymousreply 140February 21, 2020 4:39 PM

I live in LA now, but have done the NYC-LA drive way too often. It is shocking how sparse the country is. But maybe that's a good thing?

by Anonymousreply 141February 21, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]It is shocking how sparse the country is

That's why it's funny when dumb Republicans show a map of the red vs blue voting and act like all of that red represents actual humans.

by Anonymousreply 142February 21, 2020 4:58 PM

No wonder cities are becoming so expansive. All those people in those non-city places want to be near cities. There is no longer mom and pop farms to keep the, home. And those little factory towns in the Midwest no longer have factories. All the jobs are cramming into a very small percentage of the land mass.

by Anonymousreply 143February 22, 2020 1:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!