Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do you feel about your white privilege, DataLoungers?

Do you doubt it exists?

Does it shame you?

by Anonymousreply 177February 20, 2020 1:56 PM

Why are there so many people posting desperate-for-attention posts today? OP, are you lonely?

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2020 9:19 PM

They don’t care. They would be nowhere without it and they know it.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2020 9:19 PM

“White Privilege” isn’t real.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2020 9:21 PM

This is back to 2016. Remember how shit DL was then? Rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2020 9:22 PM

This is back to 2016. Remember how shit DL was then? Rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2020 9:23 PM

It is very real.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2020 9:23 PM

Of course it exists, especially if you look like a healthy and wealthy white person. I don’t think meth lab looking whites get a lot of respect or reverence though.

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2020 9:23 PM

#DFA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2020 9:24 PM

Of course it exists. I think it may be balanced out by other aspects though. For instance, a femme white woman will get away with much more stuff than a butch white woman.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2020 9:25 PM

Is it true the woman who coined the term was white?

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2020 9:25 PM

Bull shit, R3 and I say that as a 67 year old white male.

R2 nails it. That a con artist/grifter/perpetual liar/thief like Donald Trump not only won election, but committed a multitude of crimes getting there, and continues to commit a multitude of crimes and is not only exonerated but is now being lionized, idolized and beatified by other white people is proof positive that white privilege is alive and kicking.

If a black or Hispanic had committed a tiny fraction of the shit Trump has pulled and continues to pull, he would have been drawn and quartered without a trial a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2020 9:26 PM

Racism is a cancer of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2020 9:27 PM

Privilege is connected to the circumstances one is born into. I'm white, so, as a kid, there are certain prejudices I wasn't subjected to, especially having grown up in a small American town. That was a dodged bullet. Same with being born male. I was also born gay, so there are other prejudices I was exposed to and had a negative impact on my psyche, which I'm still sorting through.

Most importantly, I was born into a working-class family (back when working-class still meant basically middle class and a family could do fine with only one full-time wage earner). So, we had a roof over our head, food on the table, etc. That is a form of privilege, one that often gets overlooked in discussions about identity politics.

I also had the privilege of not being sexually or emotionally abused (another type that doesn't get discussed). I was infrequently spanked, which depending on how you look at it, was just a disciplinary action or a form of abuse. And, if I'm being honest, there were some negative effects of that which I had to sort through.

I'm not sure why we can't have thorough, honest conversations about privilege which take on a more holistic approach. Too complicated? Does the mainstream lack emotional intelligence? There's no money in it? Etc.

Anyhow, I think privilege comes in various forms.

by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2020 9:30 PM

As further proof of white privilege, that an equally fat assed moron like Rush Limbaugh, whose sole claim to fame is draft dodging, having a big fucking mouth, playing golf, and jetting down to the Dominican Republic to pick up pain killers and under aged girls is now being given a Presidential Medal of Honor is further proof of white privlege.

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2020 9:30 PM

ZzZzZ go back to africa or whatever shithole you came from, resentful POCs.

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2020 9:36 PM

R15 sayeth the person of great privilege. 😒😒

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2020 9:43 PM

I never confuse it with white supremacy. I first became aware of what a total crock it was when I read "Beloved" and realized that I would never write anything as good as that. Obama's presidency brought to me the full realization that there is, in fact, no basis whatsoever for believing northern Europeans have any advantage whatsoever that doesn't involve pure dumb luck.

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2020 9:43 PM

POC whine about white people all the time and yet they are desperate to live in white countries, some even risking their fucking lives just to live among whites... Stay in Africa or Honduras and you won't be opressed by evil whites. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2020 9:44 PM

The USA a white country? Not for long. Us brown folks are nipping at your heels. Lock up your women folk and hide the young’uns.

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2020 9:47 PM

Whites earned their privilege. They conquered this land and made it great.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2020 9:50 PM

You're an unmitigated asshole, R18. Go crawl back in whatever rat-infested sewer you came out of.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2020 9:50 PM

What does "privilege" even mean? It just sounds like the latest amorphous buzzword that's being thrown around for people to think they sound clever.

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2020 9:53 PM

My mother really annoys me with her obliviousness about privilege. She was a pretty blue eyed, thin blonde as a kid and she loves to retell the same stories about all the zany mischief she and her friend got up to. Her favorite story is how they shoplifted bathing suits and snuck into a country club to swim. All I can think of as I patiently listen to this dumb reiteration for for millionth time is that her ass would've been in jail had she been black, and it wouldn’t have been such a cute little tale then. It really makes my blood boil, because it’s the epitome of narcissism created by privilege.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2020 9:57 PM

"Privilege" as a concept makes only sense when analyzing society on a large-scale level, for describing systemic imbalances of power that could be addressed by policy.

In my experience, the concept loses all its usefulness when applied to the individual level, because nothing positive can be derived from it. Whatever "privilege" an individual may or may not have, they cannot do anything about it anyway. It's only a cudgel to gain the upper hand in the public discourse, to silence "more privileged" people, or to leverage more access to more resources for personal gain.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2020 9:58 PM

It must be hard being a mexican identitarian. They have absolutely nothing to be proud of. There isn't one single successful mestizo country. Not even one. Their main goal in life is to be american, that's why they will never be great. Sad people. Sad economy.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2020 9:58 PM

[R24] Wow! Thank you for articulating that so well.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2020 10:02 PM

Seriously r23, are Americans incapable of existing or doing anything without it being analysed throught the prism of white privilege? Like, your mother's entire childhood can only be understood in terms of white privilege? Are you saying your mum was caught stealing and just let off?

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2020 10:04 PM

The lack of diversity is a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2020 10:05 PM

Absolutely true r24, especially since on the micro level of individual stories there could be a myriad reasons why certain things turned out the way they did, which have nothing to do with race or "privilege" at all.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2020 10:06 PM

Blacks get profiled and treated worse because they’re usually loud and acting like pack animals.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2020 10:08 PM

No, I’m saying she could break the law and have it be nothing more than what she considers to be a charming anecdote. Not everyone has that luxury.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2020 10:08 PM

Here's the ultimate example of white privilege.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2020 10:09 PM

Al Sharpton is a much more insidious disgrace than that pig Limbaugh.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2020 10:10 PM

Our English ancestors conquered our enemies to win places like America,Canada, USA. We invented modern science and technology. We should have a huge advantage but are giving away everything to the billions of starving nonwhites in third world. We will soon have no food or water. Just like them. Poor countries treat gays very badly.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2020 10:14 PM

So r31 what you're saying is that if your mother had been caught stealing then the cops would have let her go with nothing more than a "don't do that again, young lady" because she was white? Or you're saying that your mother was never caught because she was white and if she had been black and stealing she would have been caught and thrown in jail for a month?

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2020 10:14 PM

R33 hardly

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2020 10:17 PM

I am as AWG as it gets and I know, for certain, privilege exists.

I may not benefit from the full range of it - as very affluent white folks can - but I know there are times in my life that I was treated one way and a person of color was treated another.

Twice I have been the passenger in a car where a black man was driving - once a friend of mine, and once a man I was dating - and they were both pulled over by police. It was a lesson even then (this was 20 years ago) how differently the cops acted once they realized *I* was in the car.

I could go on and on, but I doubt many are willing to listen, because most here are as myopic as can be.

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2020 10:19 PM

Why is that white privilege r32? It's a hereditary monarchy that has been around for a millennium, this particular dynasty for several centuries. England is a historically white and still majority white country in a historically white and still majority white continent. To fire a charge of "white privilege" at members of the royal family is completely to miss the point and just confirms what I said at r22 about "white privilege" being an amorphous buzz term that's thrown around because people think it makes them sound clever.

You can say the royal family is privileged and then try to make an argument as to why the monarchy should be abolished on that basis, but the "white" thing is completely irrelevant.

There are monarchies in Africa too, you know (or maybe you don't).

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2020 10:20 PM

I don't doubt what you're saying about travelling in those cars is true, r33 but that doesn't mean that every interaction that happens in society is about white privilege. Have you ever been in a car driven by a white person that was pulled over? Ever been in a car with a black driver that was not pulled over? Ever been in a car that was pulled over by a black cop?

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2020 10:23 PM

[R34] I am saying she could do things that others couldn’t, because she looked like a pretty WASP and so could Fly under the radar. It’s almost like a superpower, like being invisible but seen at the same time. The country club was full of wealthy white people, so she fit in. Of course if you weren’t white, in the 1950’s, you wouldn’t have even gone near there. As an aside, she irritates me in general because she’s a classic bore. So the fact that she doesn’t think about other people is just part of the whole picture of her vanity.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2020 10:23 PM

R13, you, like many people, confuse "privileged" with being fortunate. Just about all of us won the lottery just by being born in a 1st world country. People have no fucking clue how brutal life is for billions of people; yet, people prattle on about their oppression and victimhood. Ill informed children, all of them

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2020 10:24 PM

So r40, it's about a whole bunch of things that aren't explained by the narrow term white privilege but is about race, class, gender, stereotypes and hopelessly unaware store owners and country club managers as well as your relationship with your mother.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2020 10:28 PM

Having White Privilege is something that exists but instead of wanting to drag White People down, how about we see if we can build Black people up and end Black disadvantage?

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]how about we see if we can build Black people up and end Black disadvantage?

No. Blacks love their “oppressed” status, and all the free government handouts it gets them.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2020 10:39 PM

I wish had the level of white privilege that Buttigieg has that got him all the support that POC candidates, far more deserving that he, didn't get. I wouldn't waste that much white privilege on politics though. I'd find a better use.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2020 10:39 PM

Which POC candidates were more deserving than Buttigieg r45 and why do you think it's "white privilege" that has got him this far? Or are you just trolling?

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2020 10:41 PM

R13, LOL. It's almost like people would rather argue semantics than answer the OP-s. sensible and topical question.

How do I feel about MY "fortunate experiences" ? Lucky. Lucky for everything R13 said. I look like a WASP from Connecticut. People are polite to me. I was drunk and screamed "fuck the police", in the faces of 2 beat cops, while on a binge. I've had more than 10 police contacts with the NYPD, or other cops. Never been in cuffs. I have a common Irish name. Stop and frisk ends when I pull down my hoodie. Every time. I walked away from a DUI I should have been arrested for, luckily I was driving my brother's car. Fortunately, he had just made a large donation to the small town PD that I got stopped in.

My husband of 20 years hasn't been so fortunate, non-1st world, looks like gardener from Connecticut. People are not as polite. He gets hung up on a lot, on the telephone. NYPD has never been unfair, except the proven racist, stop and frisk policy itself.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2020 10:53 PM

Obama would have been impeached on day 1 for lying about the crowd size at the inauguration and even if he apologized, Republicans would be talking about it today. DJT is the King of white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2020 10:57 PM

R39 I assume you meant me at R37 and not R33, since that comment seems to be unrelated to your reply.

Yes, I have been pulled over by a cop, and I have been a passenger in a car when my father, sister and a friend have been pulled over.

It was abundantly clear to me how very, very, very, very, VERY differently the two black men I was with were treated. It was with open hostility. One was a very successful salesman for an outdoor company (similar to REI) and yet he was subjected to the "where did you steal this car?" bullshit.

Interesting that you immediately went into defense mode, though.

People get very touchy about the idea that privilege exists, especially for any of us white folks who have been raised poor or working class. Undoubtedly, there have been times in a white person's life where they pick the short end of the straw - pulled over, or fired, or left by a spouse. But in general, when we roll the dice in life, we don't get knocked out of competition just for being white.

I have a nephew who is now 35, and has been in trouble pretty much non-stop since he was 18. He has driven a car into a pond. He's had 3 or 4 DUI's, left the scene of an accident, and got addicted to heroin. Until recently, he only got slaps on the wrist. His father's family (my sister divorced that asshole long ago) is well known and it got my nephew out of trouble every time. He has done essentially what Michael Brown and Laquan McDonald have done or been accused of doing. He HAS stolen from a convenience store in the throes of needing to score some heroin. He ran from cops while high as a kite. He is alive, though. And that IS because police in this country treat white people in a very different way than they do black people. There is no doubt, whatsoever.

The US has a LONG history of reinforcing this at an institutional level, and it was all intentional. Look up redlining sometime. Read "The Color of Law." If most of our families have any estate or wealth at all, it's because they owned land/homes and built equity. Black folks weren't able to do that, or do it to the extent whites did, for a long time.

It's OK if you are uncomfortable about this, or feel you didn't know. Because most of us didn't. It was designed that way. And yes, I'm sure you can tell me about a long list of people of color who have not met your high standards - who aren't "respectable" or asking for handouts. I can also make a long list of old coal and steel country folks who have been sucking the government's teat for 40 years. Why are they any different?

by Anonymousreply 49February 7, 2020 11:08 PM

Of course white privilege is real, it just isn't necessarily a bad thing. I certainly don't feel guilty about it and I find it stupid that others do.

by Anonymousreply 50February 7, 2020 11:11 PM

R37, bravo. Nice!

by Anonymousreply 51February 7, 2020 11:13 PM

I get the idea that some younger black Americans feel empowered to "act out" in public, for lack of a better term, always ready to scream Racist! if challenged.

by Anonymousreply 52February 7, 2020 11:14 PM

I really don't give a fuck. That's my Italian ancestry there. Plus I just found out I have Northern African DNA too.

by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2020 11:16 PM

It's a stupid idea. I could perhaps buy into a notion like "majority privilege" where people who are members of the local majority group -- whatever that group happens to be -- have an experience of privilege that those who aren't do not, but it's so fucking obvious I don't know why anyone would bother theorizing about it.

by Anonymousreply 54February 7, 2020 11:17 PM

[R15] thinks he’s posting from 1987, where he could enjoy an episode of “Cheers” after dinner at Sizzler. His soul aches for those days at a cellular level.

by Anonymousreply 55February 7, 2020 11:18 PM

R50 I don't think anyone should feel "guilty" that it exists. It's not like any of us created the system.

But being aware of it and acknowledging its existence is the *least* anyone can do. No one wants you to give up your home, job or husband because you benefitted from it. But hey, maybe think about the imbalance the next time before you make a snap decision about something or someone, or before you say "oh, everyone's got equal access/equal shot/racism is ovah!"

by Anonymousreply 56February 7, 2020 11:18 PM

White privilege in the United States (That's what OP meant, right? I didn't see 'the US' in the topic sentence, and I sure as fuck didn't have White Privilege in Japan!) was fun while it lasted, but now that I'm back in Canada, with more rights and privileges all I feel is sweet relief to be away from the Deplorables and gun-toting mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 57February 7, 2020 11:21 PM

R49, but why is that all due to so-called "white privilege" and not simply racism? As for your nephew, so in your opinion white privilege is not simply blacks being targetted more for not doing anything wrong at all, but whites getting away with criminal acts?

I'm not being defensive about anything, I'm just wondering why "white privilege" and "privilege" in general is now the hip buzzword of the moment and, personally, I don't find it all that analytically useful. I'm not American and, as r57 says, this may very well be a narrow US thing. Which doesn't stop "privilege" from being an overused and very limited woke word of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2020 11:26 PM

R49, but why is that all due to so-called "white privilege" and not simply racism? As for your nephew, so in your opinion white privilege is not simply blacks being targetted more for not doing anything wrong at all, but whites getting away with criminal acts?

I'm not being defensive about anything, I'm just wondering why "white privilege" and "privilege" in general is now the hip buzzword of the moment and, personally, I don't find it all that analytically useful. I'm not American and, as r57 says, this may very well be a narrow US thing. Which doesn't stop "privilege" from being an overused and very limited woke word of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 59February 7, 2020 11:26 PM

^ I posted that once.

by Anonymousreply 60February 7, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote] but why is that all due to so-called "white privilege" and not simply racism?

Eh, with all due respect I think that's really splitting hairs. White privilege is an aspect of racism.....or a byproduct of it, anyway. Call it whatever you prefer.

by Anonymousreply 61February 7, 2020 11:33 PM

[quote] R22: What does "privilege" even mean?

I encourage you to read about it. It is a phrase that means more than the individual words mashed together.

Many White people don’t realize the crap Black people experience on a daily basis. An example is the “stop and frisk” business, where Blacks were stopped far more than their numbers in the general population warranted. My boss wanted me to fire the only Black woman in a group of about 125 - after she had fired the only Black man. The reasons she proffered for it were inadequate. I refused to do it.

I’m a White guy with no personal interest in this.

OP, of course it exists, see above.

by Anonymousreply 62February 7, 2020 11:45 PM

Slaves cost the equivalent of $100k. Whites got no compensation when they were freed. Whites simply are not built for hard labour. Every year it get more depressing to be white.

by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2020 12:04 AM

White privilege is different than racism because a White person may, for example, benefit from it Even if they, themselves, are not racist. I don’t believe such a person is blameworthy or owes anything to anybody as a result. But, such a person may be completely ignorant of the many ways they have inadvertently benefited from it.

My sister is a Deplorable who doesn’t believe in it, because she is ignorant and that’s led to racism and deplorable thinking. How often have you heard people say something along the lines of, “I pulled myself up from my bootstraps [/italic] without help from anybody, [/italic] and other people should, too. If they don’t, it’s their own damn fault...”

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2020 12:08 AM

R63, yeah, and it’s still a great benefit to be white, due to the topic.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2020 12:09 AM

R49, If you don't understand it, don't find it analytically useful. Why the fuck don't you google it and learn a couple of things about it before you dismiss it out of hand. Such a bunch of dumb cunts.

Slave owners didn't get a refund on theirs slaves... Is that what I read? I can't even go back and reread it. My head hurts from the stupidity here.

by Anonymousreply 66February 8, 2020 1:05 AM

R66 Who ARE you talking to? It sure isn't me.

by Anonymousreply 67February 8, 2020 1:08 AM

Around here we're justly proud of our Wipe Privilege.

And just listening to Jasmine Masters complain about "people" not washing their asses is enough to keep us committed to our culture.

by Anonymousreply 68February 8, 2020 1:49 AM

R67/49, No. I apologize. Thank you for your contributions here.

by Anonymousreply 69February 8, 2020 2:51 AM

What do you think about your straight male privilege, Taqauan?

by Anonymousreply 70February 8, 2020 3:28 AM

^Last week on DL,1 Black woman called a white woman "Karen". That seemed to upset a lot of snowflakes here.

by Anonymousreply 71February 8, 2020 3:42 AM

My BF is black. Yes, I'm aware of my White Privilege. I'm not aware that I've ever tried to use it to my advantage. But I know some of the indignities my BF has faced that i can't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 72February 8, 2020 3:57 AM

Fuck your pc, etc. Fuck it! Lol!

by Anonymousreply 73February 8, 2020 4:11 AM

R70 It isn't straight black men starting these threads, they don't visit the DL. It's straight black women. So I believe that'd be Tatiana or Minashia or Shadaja, not Taquan.

by Anonymousreply 74February 8, 2020 4:16 AM

White privilege exists, all right!

And so does social class privilege, beauty privilege, educational privilege, national origin privilege, health privilege, etc. Everyone exists in a world of concurrent privileges and deficits, which can help or handicap any one person in a given situation. Nothing in this world is black-and-white, including the issue of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 75February 8, 2020 4:37 AM

Oh, just fine, OP. Thanks for asking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 8, 2020 4:43 AM

I was there, R71, it was da bomb! 💣

by Anonymousreply 77February 8, 2020 4:44 AM

I'd just as soon not have it.

I find it hard to deal with. Specifically, I know that I should use my privilege to help people who don't have it. But in so doing, I know it's inevitable that some (certainly not all) POC will view that as an act of paternalism, or not "staying in my lane." You can't win. However, people of color have never been able to "win" either, so why should I expect it to be otherwise for me?

by Anonymousreply 78February 8, 2020 4:47 AM

Assholes.

Every other race and ethnic group proclaims its privilege as "pride," except for the evil "whites" (a racist concept) whose horrible colonial culture, governmental models (Marx was white, too!), technology, educational models, and entertainment/media/clothing/housing/transportation models are precisely the conventions used by the entire world.

Enough of self-aggrandizing victimhood. Hitler and Stalin were white but Pol Pot, Mao and Amin weren't. Quit telling blue-collar rednecks they operate "with privilege." They operate with the same defensive bullshit that savages the hood.

by Anonymousreply 79February 8, 2020 2:04 PM

Privilege is like cis (comfortable in your skin), or intellectual. It's being used to demean and look down on people who are perceived as superior for whatever reason even when said people don't act like they consider themselves superior. But insecure people sure like to use any excuse to feel better about themselves.

Sooner or later pretty (or successful) people are being trolled just to get the whole divisiveness going further. 2016, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 80February 8, 2020 2:25 PM

If lived in China,for example, I would feel privileged that the people allow me in their country. The host incurs a cost in allowing foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 81February 8, 2020 2:31 PM

I'm proud of my white privilege and I don't see how people can feel bad about it. It's like feeling bad about being born with two legs because some people are born with just one.

by Anonymousreply 82February 8, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]Yes, I'm aware of my White Privilege. I'm not aware that I've ever tried to use it to my advantage.

You don't have to try to use it, it accrues to you simply by virtue of your whiteness. It's just easier in this country to be white. And straight. And male. And rich. Terrible things happen to individuals who possess one or more of these characteristics, but they don't typically happen because of them. The same cannot be said for non-white, gay, female and poor Americans .

by Anonymousreply 83February 8, 2020 3:13 PM

I feel bad. The other day, I went to Sharky's for lunch and tried to use the last $13 on a gift card. The total was over $14 and they had a problem saying I should have paid cash first then swiped card. The manager ended up giving me my meal for free. I said I wanted to pay. "No, you are my customer." I've gone there about 10 other times, but afterwards I wondered if he would have done that to a minority.

by Anonymousreply 84February 8, 2020 4:02 PM

It would be smarter to speak of minority burdens than white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 85February 8, 2020 4:06 PM

The best way to decide if there is white privilege is to compare quality of life in America for blacks vs blacks in the 55 African countries.

by Anonymousreply 86February 8, 2020 4:09 PM

OP, 49 yo white man here. I am very aware of my white privilege, and thoroughly enjoying it. I feel lucky. I don't have any POC friends and don't want any, not that I feel superior or don't like them, but it's culturally too far a stretch. People's problems annoy me. I am not interested. .For the same reason I don't have any female friends. Totally not interested in their stupid problems. Get back to your countries and kitchens if life is unfair and intolerable. But I do get fucked from time to time by a black, or an arab. No asians though. Thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 87February 8, 2020 4:18 PM

As usual, the negative responses totally and completely miss the point.

They didn't get everything they ever wanted and/or they don't see it, so there is NO POSSIBLE WAY it can ever, ever exist.

by Anonymousreply 88February 8, 2020 4:25 PM

Part 1 of 2 Wow. This thread offers so much to talk about. Where to begin?

Let's start with the definition of "privilege." Privilege is rights, opportunities, free passes, freedom from scrutiny/blame/suspicion/negativity, etc. granted to people rather than earned by them. It's hard to fathom for some, but it is both having and not having at the same time. Having people assume good things about you, while not having to deal with some negative things. Privilege is accorded to people by others, mostly unconsciously. A personal characteristic that accords privilege in some places can bring scorn in others (being Jewish in a synagogue vs. being Jewish at a Klan rally). Privilege has always been around, but we didn't used to call it that. We called it "having advantages" and parents were all about providing "advantages" for their children -Education, sports programs, travel, social dance classes, country clubs where you met the "right" people, etc. People want a better life, and they can see that some skills, abilities, qualifications, or qualities offer keys to obtaining that better life. That's why many people went to the "right" church and married into "good" families so they could live in the "right" neighborhoods.

In our modern American society I am usually accorded a fair amount of privilege for being white and male. I am not stereotypically gay, so I often am granted straight privilege -at least the assumption that I am straight until I show otherwise. I can't feel guilty about those things because I had no say in them. They are part of who I am. Likewise I don't feel guilty because I am well educated, hold a good job, own a home, and have traveled a great deal around the world. Those are things I worked for and attained for myself. BUT... Did my position as a (possibly) straight, white man help me to attain those other things? They could have. I can honestly say my great education came from hard work and having fantastic grades and test scores, combined with coming from a poor family where I was the first to go to college. The job? I got it because I was okay at it and I spoke fluent Spanish, which was much needed at the time. I got the Spanish from the traveling, so who knows...

by Anonymousreply 89February 8, 2020 6:05 PM

Part 2 of 2

When today's "woke" (oh, how I hate that term) people talk about "white privilege" they are talking about the need for people -all of us - to recognize that while we have earned some things, others were granted to us because of luck; the color of our skin, our place of birth, the socioeconomic status of our parents, our religion, etc. It wasn't that someone came up and gave you a toaster oven for being white. It's that because you were white you didn't experience some of the things that non-whites have had to live through. Recognizing privilege is simply asking people to put themselves in another person's shoes, and see how the world doesn't treat everyone the same. Sadly, many people never do this. They go through life with blinders on, assuming (or insisting) that their experience is everyone's experience. Their corollary is that if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone else. If they never got that help, why should anyone else?

Discussion of privilege is not anti-American or anti-white. Some people try to make it into those things as a way of avoiding the self-examination that discussion of privilege calls forth. If racial privilege is too big a starting place, try talking about religious privilege (let me tell you about my experiences as an atheist in a "Christian" society). Or just plain economic privilege. Is there anyone who can seriously suggest that you are better off in the USA as a poor person than as a rich person? Puh-lease! Although it appears that quite a few Americans these days would beg to differ, being rich does not make you smarter, classier, more talented, wiser, or anything else. It just means you have more money than others. Being poor doesn't mean you are criminal, entitled, dirty, or violent. The amount of money you have creates circumstances in which you live. It creates or denies opportunities. More importantly, it affects how others see you and behave toward you.

The next time someone says your privilege is showing -white or whatever -Don't assume that it is an attack. It's a call to pause and consider the situation from other people's perspectives. Think of Marie Antionette saying, "Let them eat cake." We all do it from time to time, simply because that privilege is part of who we are. No need to feel guilty or angry. Just look at how other people see the situation differently because of who they are.

by Anonymousreply 90February 8, 2020 6:05 PM

If you need to take that many paragraphs to make a case, you've already lost the argument.

by Anonymousreply 91February 8, 2020 7:09 PM

Yes, [R91], we wouldn't want anything like facts or cogent arguments to get in the way of our opinions, would we?

by Anonymousreply 92February 8, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote] I never confuse it with white supremacy. I first became aware of what a total crock it was when I read "Beloved" and realized that I would never write anything as good as that. Obama's presidency brought to me the full realization that there is, in fact, no basis whatsoever for believing northern Europeans have any advantage whatsoever that doesn't involve pure dumb luck.

Are you really comparing the privilege of the former and current president of the United States, both of whom are more privileged than 99.9% of the population?

by Anonymousreply 93February 8, 2020 7:23 PM

Sorry quoted wrong post. CTRL+F not working for me today.

[quote] Obama would have been impeached on day 1 for lying about the crowd size at the inauguration and even if he apologized, Republicans would be talking about it today. DJT is the King of white privilege.

Are you really comparing the privilege of the former and current president of the United States, both of whom are more privileged than 99.9% of the population?

by Anonymousreply 94February 8, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote] My mother really annoys me with her obliviousness about privilege. She was a pretty blue eyed, thin blonde as a kid and she loves to retell the same stories about all the zany mischief she and her friend got up to. Her favorite story is how they shoplifted bathing suits and snuck into a country club to swim. All I can think of as I patiently listen to this dumb reiteration for for millionth time is that her ass would've been in jail had she been black, and it wouldn’t have been such a cute little tale then. It really makes my blood boil, because it’s the epitome of narcissism created by privilege.

The great irony is that she made choices in her life to make sure your life was even more privileged than her, but all you can do is disparage her. Being a young woman back then wasn't as privileged as it is today. Your mother and her friend could have easily been raped while sneaking out at night.

by Anonymousreply 95February 8, 2020 7:27 PM

Why is nobody super fired up and triggered by my cunty racist mysoginistic post ???

by Anonymousreply 96February 8, 2020 7:48 PM

[quote] It's that because you were white you didn't experience some of the things that non-whites have had to live through.

The absence of a burden is not a privilege. Insisting on this term alienates people for no good reason.

by Anonymousreply 97February 8, 2020 7:53 PM

I love how People of Color think they know everything about every white person's life experience and alleged "privilege".

It's not your lived experience so you don't have any understanding of someone else's experience, and you don't have the right to make assumptions about said white person's life experience.

Why not focus on improving your own life instead of trying to "black-splain" what you imagine every white person's life is like?

by Anonymousreply 98February 8, 2020 8:02 PM

This is just harmful propaganda. The majority of white people from middle class backgrounds have either lost their jobs or livelihoods, while many others have lost their homes or become addicted to drugs. Income inequality has grown ever larger thanks to those who preach wokeness when it's convenient even while they lay off their workers. However, if any of these white people complain, it's they who are the privileged ones, and not the corporate donors or overpaid academics who latch onto these woke terms because they have no other skill or life experience worth teaching. Even worse, these people would rather stifle peoples ambitions by saying their not deserving of what little success they have, which could mean just making enough not to be on the street. Makes these corporate shills and their Twitter enablers make me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 99February 8, 2020 8:44 PM

Socialist propaganda. If everyone is privileged, then nobody is.

by Anonymousreply 100February 8, 2020 8:50 PM

Whites don't understand how mean competition can get. We will end up starving and without water like most of humanity if don't stop patronizing competition. Focus on preserving any advantage we may have gained. A level playing field with billions of starving people is not something we should aim for.

by Anonymousreply 101February 8, 2020 9:06 PM

I feel good about it. I'm glad God chose me to enjoy it. This just goes to show that I deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 102February 8, 2020 9:08 PM

OP, it would keep my awake at night to be so woke.

by Anonymousreply 103February 8, 2020 9:09 PM

How do I feel about it you ask? Great.

by Anonymousreply 104February 8, 2020 9:13 PM

R47, It was implicit in my comments that I am mostly very fortunate. I've been unfortunate in other ways.

I have been cuffed and placed in the back of a police car because I was mistaken for a meth dealer.

In a separate event, I've been accused of sexual assault and investigated by the police.

by Anonymousreply 105February 8, 2020 10:30 PM

^Falsely accused. Though, the impact on my life made me feel as if I had done it.

by Anonymousreply 106February 8, 2020 10:34 PM

I've only thought about it within the last couple of years, and only after thinking alot about self-entitlement in general. Thanks, Jon Kabat-Zinn! I was just completely blind to it; it wasn't anything consciously racist that I set out to 'do'. Thinking back, I realize I have been given the benefit of the doubt and many, MANY passes that POC did not. So, yeah ... it's something I do think about more, now.

by Anonymousreply 107February 8, 2020 10:38 PM

Sorry, R47, I reread your comments and mistakenly thought you were directing your opening criticism against me. I am so used to the overpopulation of idiots on DL that my reading compression suffers. I was being reactionary. My apologies.

But, per my followup comments, it just goes to show the privilege of being a white male has its limits, as I've learned the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 108February 8, 2020 10:40 PM

^comprehension

by Anonymousreply 109February 8, 2020 10:41 PM

With a side sauce of no guilt.

by Anonymousreply 110February 14, 2020 8:25 PM

Of course it exists, and empathic people are aware of it every day, or at those who don't live in an all white bubble.

Actions shame us, not our skin color which we cannot alter.

At best it makes one aware of the lives of others

by Anonymousreply 111February 14, 2020 11:22 PM

American blacks were better off than anyone living in Russia and Germany during and after ww2. What irks me is that American blacks are ten times better off than blacks living in the 55 African countries. American blacks could care less about their people. American blacks should not be given a better quality of life than Africans living in Africa.

by Anonymousreply 112February 15, 2020 3:00 AM

yassum massa, we be livin the high life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 15, 2020 3:06 AM

R113. Whites were lynched as well. Do you think all the blacks on deathrow today are innocent? You really think good white people were just randomly lynching blacks ???

by Anonymousreply 114February 15, 2020 3:22 PM

Sick of hearing about "white privilege" shit. As if any of us had any say about which face we were born. It's all bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 115February 15, 2020 3:31 PM

I absolutely love my white male privilege. Service people basically bow to me and grant my every desire. I do tip well, but I make them understand that I’m their master.

by Anonymousreply 116February 15, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote][R113]. Whites were lynched as well. Do you think all the blacks on deathrow today are innocent? You really think good white people were just randomly lynching blacks ???

you're right i stand corrected: they were not "random" lynchings, they were planned

and whites were also lynched,,,,,they also the jew leo frank as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 15, 2020 6:34 PM

I thank God for my white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2020 7:01 PM

Its funny how people accuse me of having it a lot easier then them because I look white. In reality, I am native American and Spanish yet get labeled and shade thrown at me just because of the color of my skin. And, it's only happens by African Americans so far. Asians and Hispanics never pull that white privilege shit line on me.

by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2020 9:22 PM

This is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2020 9:26 PM

The problem was that law enforcement was almost non existent so it was easy to get away with crimes and blacks were on the low rung so were more inclined to criminality. These lynchings were well publicized with judges and other high official s participating. It was meant to scare blacks into obeying the law. The eyes were stabbed and castration first. Boiling oil. Hang until unconscious and revive. It was a deterrent. Some may have been innocent but that was not the point. We have become very weak and permissive.

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote]Some may have been innocent but that was not the point. We have become very weak and permissive.

Get you, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2020 9:59 PM

You can serve me a plate of white guilt all day long. I ain’t eating it.

by Anonymousreply 123February 16, 2020 11:15 AM

Rolls eyes at R32.

by Anonymousreply 124February 16, 2020 11:22 AM

Here’s the ultimate example of black privilege for you, R32.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 16, 2020 11:26 AM

It’s all about culture and cultural behavior and external cultural markers, such as clothing, names, and accent.

by Anonymousreply 126February 16, 2020 12:16 PM

R1 is all needs be said. The losers here should work on making privilege of their own. Make something of yourself! Stop the damn whining.

by Anonymousreply 127February 16, 2020 12:29 PM

R115, I am trying to understand your comment.

What does having no choice about your face have to do with the concept of white privilege?

Do you discount discussion of inherited property, birth defects, family resemblances and congenital disorders as bullshit as well?

Yes, there are things in the world that benefit us or do us harm that we have no choice over. You cannot be proud or feel guilt over any of those things. But they do exist.

by Anonymousreply 128February 16, 2020 2:15 PM

Those whites who profess "white privilege" is a problem are crippled by "white guilt".

:shrug

by Anonymousreply 129February 16, 2020 2:37 PM

White privilege is a problem. But why would I feel guilt about it?

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote]Rolls eyes at [R32].

I was being flippant in my post. Yes, I know it is a [italic]stretch[/italic] to equate being born into the BRF with "white privilege", but the ARE white and sure are fucking privileged by being blessed with their supposed "royal blood".

That might have fooled the peasants centuries ago but we now know that there is nothing unique about anyone's blood (or gene pool). Inherited titles are a nonsense - that was my point.

I admit it is only tangentially related to white privilege. Similar , not the same. As I said, I was being flippant.

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2020 2:48 PM

White privilege is when Tim Allen, convicted drug dealer/ex-con, calls Barack Obama an idiot and no one bats an eye.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2020 10:32 PM

I prefer White Advantage.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2020 10:40 PM

It must have been nice in the 70s through early 90’s when there was no internet for the blacks and sjws to use to whine non stop..

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2020 10:42 PM

It probably was nice for whites who didn't want to hear that their bigotry and subjugation is being addressed. Challenging the oppressors will only continue. Thank you internet!

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2020 12:00 AM

Wait. Is this the same privilege I was supposed to check in 2014?

by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2020 12:58 AM

Lol, R135. Boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 137February 17, 2020 1:16 AM

OP, a tedious right wing troll.

Of course my white privilege exists. No, I am not tormented with guilt about it, it is simply a fact. I try not to be a dick.

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2020 1:24 AM

All I know is that POC represent 7% of the population of my city but are responsible for close to 96% of the violent crime.

by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2020 1:59 AM

All I know is that R139 is a dumb cunt racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 140February 17, 2020 4:18 AM

Prove me wrong, R140.

by Anonymousreply 141February 17, 2020 11:41 AM

Prove yourself right, R139.

Lets see the stats.

by Anonymousreply 142February 17, 2020 12:17 PM

Can I play too?

All I know is that women are 1% of the population of my city but are responsible for 98% of the thefts.

All I know is that gays are 6% of the population of my city but are responsible for 110% of the slip-and-falls.

(This is fun!)

by Anonymousreply 143February 17, 2020 12:19 PM

Prove me wrong!

by Anonymousreply 144February 17, 2020 12:19 PM

I feel myself

by Anonymousreply 145February 17, 2020 12:22 PM

R142, Google "Crime in Madison, WI By Race". I admit I was off a bit as far as actual percentages, but the reality is still correct.

by Anonymousreply 146February 17, 2020 1:12 PM

R139 - is absolutely correct. And it doesn’t make us racist to acknowledge statistics - statistics don’t lie. Blacks murder, rape, and thieve proportionately more than any race. What we have to do is figure out how to give them a better youth and upbringing so they don’t go down that road. Can you imagine growing up in an urban ghetto with a crack head mother and no idea who your father is? Your concern isn’t which college you plan to attend, but how am I going to survive. Yes, I’m happy to have white privilege, but I know it was luck of the draw, and I’m very grateful.

by Anonymousreply 147February 17, 2020 1:51 PM

It's funny that you decide to post this here because homosexuality is outlawed in over 70 countries. Try posting this on the Misc forum or Stormfront and see the response you get. It's often the people with the most privilege who are the most offended by the suggestion they benefited from it.

by Anonymousreply 148February 17, 2020 4:09 PM

It's not a privilege to exist in your own country. However, it us a privilege for foreigners,ex slaves, defeated enemies etc to exist on our land.

by Anonymousreply 149February 17, 2020 5:48 PM

White privilege doesn’t exist. Remember our ancestors fought for this land and won. It’s our land now. As another poster upthread mentions, it’s a “privilege” to be here if you’re a foreigner who didn’t fight for this land - and you’re receiving opportunities and health care that you are not truly deserving of.

by Anonymousreply 150February 17, 2020 6:11 PM

Not at all, OP.

by Anonymousreply 151February 17, 2020 8:35 PM

I love it...although, I'd prefer we all had it and just called it R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

by Anonymousreply 152February 18, 2020 12:43 AM

I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 153February 18, 2020 1:09 AM

R150, my ancestors did not fight for this land. They came over in the 1930s from Britain and Finland.

I guess I am one of those freeloading foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 154February 18, 2020 1:21 AM

R154 well , Britain created America and most technology. Can't disagree with you about Finnish parasites

by Anonymousreply 155February 18, 2020 2:57 AM

R154 - you’re accepted. I can’t think of anyone whiter than Brits and Finns.

by Anonymousreply 156February 18, 2020 2:59 AM

Hello, all you people of color, I’m White Privilege!

Whenever you’re too lazy to do well in school, whenever you don’t get good enough grades or SAT or LSAT scores as high as white or Asian students because you didn’t practice enough, whenever your brain is subpar from smoking too much pot, whenever you get harsher sentences because you’re a repeat offender...

...you can always call me and I’ll always be there for you to blame your failures on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 18, 2020 3:27 AM

So it is my skin color that makes me okay here?

It is as if my race confers special privileges on me.

Even though my grandparent were strong Fascist supporters who came here thinking democracy was in crisis and would collapse? But because I am white, I am in?

by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2020 11:37 AM

R154. Your in if your ancestors pioneered and fought our enemies like France, Spain,portugal. Why is that so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 159February 18, 2020 2:13 PM

I'm luvin it!

by Anonymousreply 160February 18, 2020 8:52 PM

R159, you seem to have missed R158. My grandparents did not fight anyone, but were Fascists who supported Mussolini enthusiastically, Hitler with less enthusiasm, and Franco with more enthusiasm. Their hope when they come here was that America would go Fascist. They were disappointed that it did not.

by Anonymousreply 161February 18, 2020 11:21 PM

They just didn't wait long enough.

by Anonymousreply 162February 18, 2020 11:23 PM

I feel my white privilege is very well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 163February 18, 2020 11:34 PM

I earned every ounce of my white privilege. I went to college, pay taxes, serve on juries, volunteer in my community, donate to charities, and abide all laws. How many blacks/browns can say that?

by Anonymousreply 164February 18, 2020 11:38 PM

How many whites can say that?

by Anonymousreply 165February 19, 2020 12:08 AM

R165 - ALL of the people (whites) that I associate with can say that. Hopefully you can too or you’re not a good citizen.

by Anonymousreply 166February 19, 2020 3:29 AM

All of the people I associate with, white, black, and hispanic, can say that.

by Anonymousreply 167February 19, 2020 3:51 AM

R167 - that’s an impressive claim, but I doubt it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 168February 19, 2020 4:02 AM

White privilege? Do I look like a Kardashian, Hilton? Believe it or not, most people grow up poor or lower middle class.

by Anonymousreply 169February 19, 2020 4:05 AM

This is racist logic. When reality contradicts your bias, all you have to say is "I doubt it's true."

No thinking needed that way. So much easier.

by Anonymousreply 170February 19, 2020 4:06 AM

"White privilege' makes my ass tired, OP....I'm anxiously awaiting anti-woke backlash

by Anonymousreply 171February 19, 2020 4:18 AM

Well, R23, her modern day black counterpart would have a 'diversity' ivy league education and job. How's that for privilege??

by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote]R22 What does "privilege" even mean?

I am sorry you did not have the privilege of an education.

by Anonymousreply 173February 19, 2020 4:24 AM

Thank the Lord white privilege is being buried so black privilege can thrive.

by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2020 4:32 AM

R23 - that's called pretty female privilege.

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2020 6:29 AM

White privilege is not earned, it is conferred at birth. White privileged is well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2020 8:59 PM

R23 has serious and debilitating Mommy issues. He seethes with rage at her cute little teenage prank as though she's a serial killer.

What's your damage, R23? What did Mommy do to you?

by Anonymousreply 177February 20, 2020 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!