Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emotional Support Animal to Ride the Subway?

At first I thought it was a nice smaller Spaniel on this guy's lap. Then I saw the harness, which had "emotional support" labeled on it.

It was not a line that was going to an airport btw.

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2020 12:01 PM

Those things are all over the place now.

The fraus in Chicago push them in buggies. I love dogs but for Christ's sake, IT SHOULD BE WALKING

by Anonymousreply 1February 3, 2020 2:36 PM

I was in a shop on the UES and a woman had a largish retriever with the vest. I’m not sure what the other person said (because people usually ignore it), but the woman with the dog loudly said “he’s my medical support companion. I have kidney issues.”

I mean, whatever, but I don’t know how the dog was helping her kidneys. Epilepsy, diabetes, I can kind of understand. Supposedly dogs can sense when a seizure or hypoglycemic event is coming on, but... what kind of kidney crisis?

by Anonymousreply 2February 3, 2020 2:36 PM

EAS animals are the new cool accessory for narcissistic whiners.

by Anonymousreply 3February 3, 2020 2:47 PM

...and for old fraus who don't want to wait to take the service elevator with their precious little Poofie or Schatzie.

by Anonymousreply 4February 3, 2020 2:59 PM

Yet another indication of the “I am so special, and my special version of the emperor’s clothing will not be questioned!” cultural rot that plagues 21st century America.

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2020 3:03 PM

My grocery store has a sign banning emotional scenario dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2020 3:49 PM

Vote for your emotional support animal at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2020 5:57 PM

People just buy those vests so they can take their pets wherever they want. But as it already is at r6's grocery store (and some airlines), I think the jig is soon going to be up everywhere. Too many people are doing the fake support animal thing, it's a nuisance, and business owners, etc., are catching on that a "emotional support" animal is not the same thing as a trained and certified helper animal (e.g., guide dogs for the blind) and can legally be banned from your place of business.

by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2020 6:21 PM

My emotional support rescue mutt can sense when I am ready to go off on people...all fists and elbows. She frequently ignores her duties as she enjoys watching waiters getting hot coffee thrown in their faces. Dogs do become like their owners. 🤨

by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2020 6:26 PM

If a vest-wearing support animal approaches you without its owner, it's looking for your assistance. Please follow the animal to its owner or summon other help, e.g., security guard or police officer.

Since we're sort of on the subject, I thought I'd offer that up.

by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2020 7:34 PM

R10 is absolutely correct. Skilled assistance dogs are trained to get help when their owners have a medical emergency.

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2020 9:33 PM

I've seen animals on the subway for as long as I've been in NYC. I doubt that it's officially permitted, but people do just take them, without pretending they are service animals. Frequently the animals are in carrying cases, but the little ones sometimes travel in tote bags. I once saw a parrot (in a cage, of course) on the 86th street bus.

by Anonymousreply 12February 3, 2020 9:52 PM

I saw an emotional service dog that had its own dog as its emotional support animal.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 8:17 AM

I saw an emotional service animal in the subway and it was wearing BLUE JEANS, of all things

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 8:17 AM

It’s mostly an American thing. Never seen it in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 10:12 AM

It's a stupid, I-need-attention thing.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 2:04 PM

All dogs are emotional assistant dogs.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 3:14 PM

Emotional support animals are all the rage among certain sub-populations. I used to tutor stupid rich kids who somehow got into good universities, and a sizable number of them had ESA especially those who got themselves declared by the school as having a learning disability. Most of those didn't have any learning disabilities but were just lazy as fuck and unmotivated to learn anything.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 4:05 PM

There needs to be a registry just like handicapped parking spots, you must have a letter from your doctor. It could be done at DMV, I know, it's already a pain there for many places but it would weed out the nut cases with the squirrels and turtles.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 4:50 PM

How does an ESA work, anyway? How does it provide support?

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 9:46 PM

I can't imagine what kind of a weirdo doesn't like dogs. Probably some sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 10:02 AM

I like seeing dogs out on the train, the bus, the grocery store. There was some kind of support black lab at a concert a couple of weeks ago who simply would not get up and move when his person wanted him to. He just wanted to stay in the aisle. He kept looking over at me, across the aisle and two rows forward. I think he wanted to sit near me. I would have let him. The two dingalings who were tending to him were not doing well.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 11:53 AM

I used to carry an emotional support bonsai.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2020 11:56 AM

R1 You should visits Japan. Half the prams being pushed around have dogs in them!

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2020 12:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!