Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Faye Dunaway vs. Lauren Bacall

It seems of all the major actresses discussed here these are evidently the meanest.

Who was/is the bigger bitch?

For what its worth I like them both; I think Dunaway is probably the better actress but Bacall kept it together better on and off-camera and had a more classic glamour.

by Anonymousreply 183February 20, 2020 1:56 AM

Ethel Merman tops both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2020 3:16 PM

When they were called back to the set of The Little Colonel, Shirley Temple would put her cigarettes out on the hand of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2020 3:23 PM

Annette Funicello once knocked out five of Tuesday Weld's teeth with a riding crop during Anita Bryant Night at the Kit Kat Klub.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2020 3:28 PM

R1, 2 and 3 SHUT UP, You're killing me!

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2020 3:30 PM

OP, it depends on what you mean by "bigger bitch." They are very different personalities.

Done Fadeaway is the more narcissistic, insecure and anxiety ridden. She can melt down at any moment and take everyone with her. A baby could cry and frighten her and she would throw it against the wall.

Lauren Bacall was purely mean, tempered only by bitterness. She was a woman who found bitter joy in belittling everyone and everything around her. Lauren Bacall would just walk up to a baby and crush it with her heel.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2020 3:31 PM

I would rather have been Betty Bacall's friend so I could hang out at the Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2020 3:36 PM

Lauren Bacall had no friends.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2020 3:39 PM

Someone posted here years ago that they saw Lauren Bacall shopping for clothes in NYC with her daughter...she was dressing the girl down like she had done something unforgivable. Wish that I could have been there...

When she agreed to do the famous Blackglama “What Becomes a Legend most?”ad campaign, they sent her a chauffeured station wagon. “A wagon? Is THIS how you treat a LEGEND?“, she allegedly replied.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2020 3:45 PM

Helen Lawson

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2020 3:47 PM

Ethel Merman topped both of them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2020 3:49 PM

Faye is apparently genuinely mentally ill. Lauren just seems to have been a stuck-up bitch.

I think Faye would be the harder one to be around, because she's unpredictable. With Lauren you just knew she would always be snotty and mean, so you were prepared.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2020 3:51 PM

AHEM....

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2020 3:51 PM

Julia Roberts has been good in some things but there is no way I would compare her to Bacall or Dunaway in terms of stature.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2020 3:52 PM

Too bad, since Lauren was an uncommonly beautiful woman. Her personality didn’t match her extraordinary looks.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2020 3:52 PM

Lauren was beautiful in her teens and twenties but by her thirties she looked increasingly haggard. "The Look" did not age well.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2020 3:57 PM

I actually liked her mature looks - I guess in part because I knew her as a older actress first.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2020 3:58 PM

Lauren had a big, long face (I don't want to write 'horseface' because that's mean), like SJParker. Same type. So if you like that type...

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2020 4:08 PM

Hairdresser Judy Crown on Lauren Bacall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2020 4:25 PM

R13 what do you mean? Julia Roberts was the biggest female movie draw of the 90s and early 00s. America’s sweetheart. Bacall and Dunaway are merely gay icons one famous for her iconic husband and the other famous for her once beautiful face, out of this world diva behavior and for portrayal of an actual icon. They are famous by association!

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2020 6:11 PM

Bacall always seemed like the stern, humorless nun you had in Catholic school. Dunaway seems like someone who really just needs to take her meds. She reminds me of those insecure beauty queens who always show up late because they can. I never heard of Bacall behaving in an unprofessional manner like that. She could be a bitter cunt, but she always seemed to show up on time and give it her best.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2020 6:18 PM

I never found Bacall attractive at all but Dunaway was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 6:21 PM

Not entirely, R20. Ms. Bacall has been known to refuse a limo if she didn't like the color. More money. More time. Folks waiting. It has happened.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2020 9:27 PM

1 and 10 - Merman could be tough and didn’t suffer fools, but I think it’s more than a stretch to try to put her in her category. I was around her MANY times - always friendly and delightful - and I was a gushing little fan. There were exceptions, but most of her co-workers spoke very fondly of her. What’s your beef with the Merm?

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2020 1:41 AM

in “their” category, i should have said.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2020 1:44 AM

I'm assuming the comments about Ethel Merman were intended satirically, as were the ones about Shirley Temple and Annette vs. Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2020 1:44 AM

Does anyone know if Bacall and Dunaway ever met or spoke about each other?

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2020 1:45 AM

It's really sad what Dunaway has become.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2020 3:26 AM

Nedra Volz once bit off one of Charlotte Rae’s nips.

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2020 3:33 AM

Bacall is the bigger bitch, because by all accounts she was completely sane!

Dunaway was and is probably harder to deal with, but she's reportedly somewhere between loopy and absolutely batshit, not someone who can help going off the rails. Bacall was sane and able to control herself, she bit people's heads off because she liked biting people's heads off.

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2020 4:36 AM

Dunaway was far more beautiful in her prime and arguably the better actress of the two (at least 3 of her film roles were some of the greatest of all time). Bacall oozed class and style in a way that few others have ever achieved (and far more than Faye as well). To me, she always played the same role however - no matter the movie. Both are icons for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2020 4:43 AM

I wonder if Bacall hated Ingrid Bergman?

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2020 4:50 AM

The waiter in the backround is having the time of is life listening in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2020 4:54 AM

Damm- HIS life

by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2020 4:58 AM

I could spit these 2 bitches out for desert.

by Anonymousreply 34February 1, 2020 4:58 AM

Bacall worshipped Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2020 5:10 AM

Bacall began dating hunky Tony Franciosa while he was still married to Shelley Winters.

One evening, he was late picking her up so Bacall called their apartment.

Shelley told her she had some nerve calling their home looking for Tony.

Bacall replied, "Well, if Tony doesn't respect your marriage, why should I?" .

by Anonymousreply 36February 1, 2020 5:21 AM

Lauren Bacall may have been the cunts to end all cunts but she at least gave us those High Point commercials. I'd rather experience one of those on a 10-hour loop than sit through a Brie Larsen movie.

by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2020 6:04 AM

Betty pissed down under

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2020 6:16 AM

R38 What a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2020 6:24 AM

Faye on capricious A.L.Webber

adjective: capricious given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behaviour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 1, 2020 6:26 AM

Lauren wins in my book because, though a cold bitch most days of the week, she at least seemed to have a sense of humor. Faye, on the other hand, is a purely vainglorious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 41February 1, 2020 8:14 AM

Betty begging your pardon down under

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2020 9:33 AM

That seemed more sardonic than anything else. And face it, Australian journalists are tone-deaf and annoying as a class.

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2020 6:01 PM

R38 Those coffee/nicotine stained teeth: too much complementary High Point!

by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2020 6:10 PM

Gosh r5 you have a very VERY negative opinion of Lauren Bacall!!Why?To me she comes across in interviews as sassy, strong minded but kind and emotionally intelligent and thoughtful. But not mean or horrible/bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2020 6:13 PM

After reading numerous threads on the topic, I have come to the conclusion that about 25% of people who post here were employed by Miss Bacall in some capacity at one point or another.

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2020 6:21 PM

A few of my friends met Bacall and have backed up every negative thing ever said about her. She was cunt - plain and simple. Why she was a cunt is anyone's guess. She had a decent career considering her limitations as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2020 6:22 PM

r47 Any ideas on why she would be bitter and consumed by it as many seem to suggest?

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2020 6:27 PM

Maybe she never got over Bogart's death. That seems to be a common thought among many people. Or maybe she thought Hollywood discarded her after he died and she had to turn to the stage to get decent roles. Thankfully, she was rather good on stage.

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2020 6:31 PM

Not when it came to singing. She made Kate Hepburn sound like Streisand when she sang.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2020 6:58 PM

I think it wasn't just Bogart - she was much younger than he was and she was accepted as part of his generation socially. As time went on she pretty much lost all of her mentors and the people she trusted and admired and didn't have too many people her own age or younger that she knew and trusted the same way. I think we all expect to outlive friends and family - particularly those of us who went through the AIDS era - but it can be an unseating thing to simply outlive your whole life.

That's my theory, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2020 7:00 PM

Interesting thoughtful theory r51

by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2020 7:39 PM

Babs on working with Betty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2020 8:11 AM

Bacall was really great in The Mirror Has Two Faces. I still think they should have given her the Oscar. It was the only time I've really been moved by her and that Streisand interview is fascinating and it shows what a great director she is.

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2020 7:40 PM

Bacall had discipline.

by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2020 7:43 PM

Did the Joan Crawford vs. Lauren Bacall thread already happen? In a doubles match could it be possible to out bitch Betty and Olivia? Or Betty and Bette?

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2020 8:22 PM

No need, R56. Bacall always wins. Ask anyone who ever worked in show biz in NYC. Bacall was the worst of the women. Yul Brynner was the worst of the men. Touring in "The King and I," he made a fuck of a lot of money for a fuck of a lot of people. And he never let anyone forget it.

by Anonymousreply 57February 3, 2020 8:43 PM

Bacall’s teefus are so brown...she really did love that coffee!

by Anonymousreply 58February 3, 2020 10:15 PM

Watching that interview with Babs did make me feel a bit sorry Bacall didn't get the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2020 10:21 PM

R59 I’m not. They gave her an honorary one. Her big scene in MHTF when Babs was asking her character what was it like to be beautiful was decent but no great shakes. Besides, her movie career was rather sparse. She was more of a face than an actress on film. She proved herself onstage where I bet she was great.

by Anonymousreply 60February 3, 2020 10:31 PM

Indeed, for a woman who could not sing, she was surprisingly effective in musicals.

by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2020 12:23 AM

Bacall started at the top but she came tumbling down with her second or third movie. She played an English aristocrat, none too convincingly. She had been compared to Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn but boths those women had paid their dues. I think Bacall knew that hers was a small talent, so what else did she have to hold on to but the trappings of stardom. Her last Broadway gig involved refusing to be dressed by the costume designer - I believe she charged a designer suit to the production. Out of town, she also refused to travel with the rest of cast, including the likes of Rosemary Harris. A people carrier wasn't good enough, she wanted her own car. Bacall focused on the wrong things.

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2020 12:37 AM

Bacall was oddly exciting in musicals. You could tell she was having the time of her life and it was nice to see such a sour broad cut loose and have some fun. She had about 2 decent notes, but that didn't stop her. Star power, the right keys, arrangements, etc. can really do a lot for a performer. It's why I always get mad when I see a great performer singing a song and giving it their all, but the key is weird for their voice and if it had just been moved up or down a bit, it could have made all the difference. Bacall knew her range and thrived on stage.

Unfortunately, there weren't many roles for a gal over 40 with a singing range that low. They had to be written especially for her (except for the production of Wonderful Town she was in, but Roz Russell's had around the same range as Bacall).

by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2020 2:00 AM

Bitchy and twitchy and manic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2020 2:14 AM

Fair enough, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2020 4:55 AM

What size shoe did she wear? Her feet’s look massive.

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2020 3:58 PM

I think Bacall had a presence that carried what she did on stage. I don't think it was something she learned. I think it was a carry-over from whatever made her a star in the first place.

Past recent efforts, has Dunaway been on stage frequently?

by Anonymousreply 67February 5, 2020 8:05 AM

I agree r67 and presence is such a difficult elusive quality to define but most know it when they see it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2020 8:00 PM

Whatever else you think of her, Dunaway was a solidly-trained, serious actress who could speak very compellingly about acting. Just watch the clip from her appearance on Inside The Actor's Studio.

by Anonymousreply 69February 6, 2020 8:18 PM

[quote]r67 Past recent efforts, has Dunaway been on stage frequently?

She was cast in a Broadway play before even leaving college in Boston, as a replacement in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS. At the same time she was invited to join the new Lincoln Center Repertory Company, doing THE CHANGELING, AFTER THE FALL, NO EXIT, and a comedy called BUT FOR WHOM CHARLIE. She left when she couldn’t please one of the directors while rehearsing TARTUFFE.

Her big break came immediately after, playing a wife who falls down the stairs to her death (onstage) in HOGAN’S GOAT Off-Broadway.

Regionally she did CANDIDA, OLD TIMES, and A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE,.....CURSE OF AN ACHING HEART on Broadway. and then CIRCE AND BRAVO in London.

Then there was the Lloyd Webber nonsense...!

by Anonymousreply 70February 6, 2020 9:18 PM

HOGAN’S GOAT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Bacall looked trans as she got older.

by Anonymousreply 72February 6, 2020 9:46 PM

We all do, r72.

by Anonymousreply 73February 6, 2020 10:06 PM

Bacall has trained for a year (?) at theater school in NYC but couldn’t afford the fees and had to work as an usher and fashion model. She did a tiny part in a Broadway play that closed immediately, and a bigger role in a play that closed out of town in tryouts.

Then her picture on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar caught the eye of a film director’s wife, and she was flown to Hollywood for a screen test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 6, 2020 10:11 PM

"Or maybe she thought Hollywood discarded her after he died and she had to turn to the stage to get decent roles."

Hollywood didn't discard her because of Bogart's death. the fact is she didn't age well and by the early 60's she looked 10 years older than she was. And Hollywood don't like no old ladies with entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 75February 6, 2020 11:35 PM

Plus, she hadn’t had a hit film in, like, forever.

It’s not like she was a bankable star.

by Anonymousreply 76February 7, 2020 12:38 AM

Lauren was put on suspension several times for refusing scripts she felt were beneath her. Bogart encouraged her to be selective like that.

by Anonymousreply 77February 7, 2020 10:50 AM

Interesting r77 that I did not know.

by Anonymousreply 78February 7, 2020 5:50 PM

You haven't read "By Myself"?

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2020 5:56 PM

That Faye never had FLAVVAH!!

by Anonymousreply 80February 7, 2020 5:59 PM

Faye only had the one son? I thought she had a daughter. Sister. Daughter. Sister.

by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2020 6:08 PM

She has a brother you don’t hear much about. He’s a lawyer.

I wonder if she strapped him into bed at night when he was little.

————————

WAHINGTON POST 09/06/1984

The Lawyer and the Actress

[quote]Mac Dunaway called her "Dorothy" or simply "Sister" even after she decided "Faye" would make a better stage name.

[quote]”It was sometime in high school. She just came home and dropped her first name," says Mac Dunaway, the managing partner in the Holland & Knight law firm overlooking Farragut Square and the brother of actress Dorothy "Faye" Dunaway.

[quote]"She has been starstruck since she was little. I remember being in 'Saturday Evening Ghost' with her in elementary school. Even then she had to do everything perfectly. We used to fight like cats and dogs. She was a straight-A student and a National Merit scholar and the teachers were always saying, 'Why can't you be more like your sister?' I was more interested in football."

[quote]With clear blue eyes matching his white-collared blue shirt, Dunaway, 41, resembles his older sister especially when he laughs, summoning the deep dimples that frame his smile. "I think we both remember the time I became physically dominant. She couldn't beat up on me anymore."

[quote]Married for 19 years and a resident of Chevy Chase Village, Mac Dunaway says, "Those rough times with Sister are long since past. Things that used to grate on you fade with the passage of time. You realize that family is the lasting relationship."

[quote]Along with being a friend, Faye Dunaway is also her brother's client. He draws up her contracts for film and stage performances. They visit frequently when she is working in New York and living in her apartment there. This July his three children flew to London to watch their aunt film the made-for-television movie "Ellis Island" with the late Richard Burton.

[quote]For both Faye Dunaway, 43, the star of the films "Chinatown" and "Network," and Mac Dunaway, who was heading off to his frequent golf and boating retreat, Hilton Head, S.C., times were not always so successful financially. "There was little extra money when we were growing up," said Mac Dunaway. "My father was in the Army and we were constantly moving around. But we learned to meet new people and deal with new situations and my mother always pushed us and told us to do whatever we want. She always said, 'Set your sights high.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 7, 2020 6:24 PM

Mac Dunaway with Sister Dorothy Faye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 7, 2020 6:27 PM

I think Betty Bacall relished being an intimidating cunt. Those years with Bogie, being Den Mother of the original Hollywood Rat Pack, gave the Jewish girl from Ocean Parkway the power and prestige she craved. So she delighted in throwing her weight around and demanding the perks and respect afforded a queen. However, if you called her out on her shit, she would back down and laugh about it as if it was your responsibility to keep her in check.

Faye, however, is certifiable. If she feels slighted, which is often since she is thin-skinned, she becomes uncontrollable.

by Anonymousreply 84February 7, 2020 6:46 PM

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE is one of my all time favorite films. Bacall is in her element as an unapologetic gold digger. I think that she could relate to her character.

by Anonymousreply 85February 7, 2020 7:23 PM

The bloom was already off the rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 7, 2020 7:25 PM

Bacall was insanely beautiful as a teen model, and in her first film. But I’ve never seen anyone lose their luster so fast.

Maybe it was motherhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 7, 2020 7:42 PM

I think her character in YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN (costarring rapist Kirk Douglas) is supposed to have lesbian overtones. I’ve never seen it.

Definitely should have played more dykes - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 7, 2020 7:49 PM

Yes. It's very clear. I haven't seen the whole thing but her character, a doctor, I think, hosts a party. And she has a special "friend." Neither of the women react kindly to the male lead's presence/gatecrashing.

by Anonymousreply 89February 7, 2020 7:58 PM

While she was exquisite as a very young woman I always liked Bacall's look as she matured. I think she looked more distinctive.

Faye kept it together at least as late as "Rules of Attraction" where I think she looked great.

by Anonymousreply 90February 7, 2020 8:05 PM

I think Bacall looked gorgeous young and old, but plain in between. She has those features that look stunning as a rich old broad. She never messed with her face or had extreme hair color, either. She was completely herself, which is also attractive.

by Anonymousreply 91February 7, 2020 8:16 PM

Bogie cheated on Bacall and had a ' regular '. Veritas was an open secret, she was hired as his assistant and Bacall of course wanted to protect the BB legacy, but I think she was very bitter. She would still be a sensational beauty and set the cat walk on fire today. She's a big deal classic Hollywood star, she unexpectedly became a Broadway star too after her film career went down the shitter. She's terrible in Applause, but she was a big hit in it. Day Funaway is a delicate, extraordinary beauty and an extremely sensitive actress. I don't think Bacall could ever do a tenth of what Faye does in ' puzzle of a downfall child ' for instance. Faye is IMO, one of the rare artists in the acting profession. Bacall was big, tough as nails and health. Faye is fragile and mentally ill. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 92February 7, 2020 8:58 PM

Her delicate facial features clashed with the makeup and awful wigs she wore in MOMMIE DEAREST. They eyebrows were the worst.

by Anonymousreply 93February 7, 2020 9:00 PM

' Barbara PLEASE... Please Barbara ' / ' LA-LA-LAND' vs' You know how the whistle, Steve don't you ? Just put your lips together and... Blow". Faye 2 / Betty 1. Faye for the win.

by Anonymousreply 94February 7, 2020 9:15 PM

R84 that is the impression Bacall always gave off to me--you describe her succinctly. I imagine her as the kind of broad who would respect the people who were willing to throw it back at her, so long as they did it in a manner that demonstrated some wit or intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 95February 7, 2020 9:44 PM

Borh of these women were truly beautiful and talend, though i think Faye Dunaway wins on both counts. Bacall wins on ageing more gracefully. Though riding with her at the Dakota’s elevator was apparently an horror story.

by Anonymousreply 96February 7, 2020 9:53 PM

Bacall wins. Because she only skimmed the edge of pathetic cartoonery (the instant coffee commercials and the Flavuh, as well as the constant complaining about being broke).

And because she could cut cleaner than anyone else, right to the bone.

Remember the Michael Dunn story:

New York party. Many celebrities there. Including Betty. And a very drunk Michael Dunn, the Shakespearian actor and famous little person. He's so loaded he's wobbling from side to side, and fixated on Bacall, in her fairly early middle age, following her around. She ignores him, knowing what a drunk is and deserves (unless she happens to be married to him).

"I want you, "I'm so hot for you." "I"m going to fuck you. I'm going to fuck you."

At the last "I'm going to fuck you" she turned around slowly, looked down on him, and said archly:

[quote]If you do, and I ever find out about it....."

The crowd roared. He wobbled off in disgrace. Bacall returned to enjoying the party.

AND it's not like she didn't have friends. She was quietly devoted to a lot of people. She went to see Kate Hepburn in the latter's "bad times" before she died. But that finally ended when Hepburn, who had become nasty in dementia, accused Bacall of all kinds of odd things before resuming a placid demeanor. (According to Bacall.)

Dunaway never had the intelligence to go with the hubris. Bacall wasn't much of an actress after her heyday, and Dunaway tried to stretch more. Did stretch more. She had more innate talent, and used it. Both wrestled with shopkeepers over trivia, and had (have, with Dunaway) reputations for being cheap.

But Bacall was the widow of Bogart and the divorced wife of Robards. She was a bitch supreme. Dunaway is an also-ran, with her housing issues and little lawsuits over missed payments. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 97February 7, 2020 10:09 PM

Crawford veered between wanting to be loved and to be respected and veered between those pivot points. And she was a sloppy drunk. She would aim at hauteur but always came across like a person who was trying to prove to Mary Pickford she was a lady AND a talent.

Merman wasn't smart enough. Mary Martin could control her with a look. (Martin WAS an A class bitch, but she had to quell it to hide her lesbianism.)

Bacall didn't get the Oscar because people hate Streisand and voted with spite.

Bacall would let herself slip into humanity when she was countered at being unnecessarily bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 98February 7, 2020 10:16 PM

But why take it out on Lauren Bacall if they hated Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 99February 7, 2020 10:44 PM

Bacall didn't get the Oscar because actors hated her, not Streisand. They had heard for years what a certifiable cunt she was to other actors and they weren't about to let her get away with it. My favorite moment in Oscar history, watching her lose to Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 100February 8, 2020 1:32 AM

Bacall lost because Harvey wanted Binoche to have it. Bacall and Weinstein being both members of the tribe, the academy tried to make it up to her with an honorary oscar, She made a speech about the peaks in her life, being married to Bogie, having 2 beautiful children and then winning an oscar, at which point Jason Robards jr was litterally bleeding internally in the audience. She admitted later that he was scarred for life, and that the so desired oscar had become a reminder of the worst moment in her life. When she realized that she had forgotten to aknowledge her 3rd child, she tried to rush back to the stage but the show had moved on and they didn't let her. Also there is an interview with Rose, where she's runting at length against ' men' ' and the stupid aging machos who don' t like women and would marry a 16yo girl just to show her off like a sports car, at which point something happens in her eyes as she speak. You can see the expression of horror in her eyes as she goes on talking, and then she blanks for a second. Very funny. It's on youtube somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 101February 8, 2020 5:37 AM

[quote] tell me about it !

by Anonymousreply 102February 8, 2020 5:46 AM

[quote] . Though riding with her at the Dakota’s elevator was apparently an horror story

Tell me about it !

by Anonymousreply 103February 8, 2020 5:47 AM

No, tell ME about it!

Me...Me...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

by Anonymousreply 104February 8, 2020 12:48 PM

nice clip with old faces. I felt nostalgic. Faye is quite nice and smart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 8, 2020 4:36 PM

[quote] Faye is quite nice

Not to salads

by Anonymousreply 106February 8, 2020 4:50 PM

But did Faye ever have a bad potato?

by Anonymousreply 107February 9, 2020 3:32 PM

Tastefull friends!

Which apartment would you prefer to be cursed at and thrown out of?

Bettys:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 13, 2020 8:34 AM

Fayes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 13, 2020 8:35 AM

I'd rather be thrown out of Faye's, because it's cold and depressing. It looks like Patrick Bateman's apartment. Betty's, on the other hand, even with the bric-a-brac, looks far more homey and classic.

by Anonymousreply 110February 13, 2020 8:40 AM

I get the impression Bacall's nastiness was all a front for a very lonely and insecure woman. She was a woman on her own, perhaps she felt she had to be like that to protect herself. I loved her in the miniseries about Doris Duke in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 111February 13, 2020 9:19 AM

I'd love Kathleen Turner to play an old Bacall terrorising people on the Upper East Side in her old age. The movie would be called 'Betty.'

by Anonymousreply 112February 13, 2020 9:32 AM

Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 113February 13, 2020 9:41 AM

[quote]Ethel Merman tops both of them.

This thread is useful without pictures.

by Anonymousreply 114February 13, 2020 9:42 AM

I taught them all.

by Anonymousreply 115February 13, 2020 9:46 AM

Not all.

by Anonymousreply 116February 13, 2020 9:46 AM

Yes, all.

by Anonymousreply 117February 13, 2020 9:46 AM

I outlived my life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 13, 2020 1:05 PM

Did she play a gun moll? She looked like what I think gun molls look like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 13, 2020 1:20 PM

Dunaway has all the furniture I remember buying from Conran's in 1988.

by Anonymousreply 120February 13, 2020 1:32 PM

Did Bacall die in her apartment or in the hospital?

by Anonymousreply 121February 13, 2020 3:04 PM

She got lost on the way to shop at Tuesday Morning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 13, 2020 3:49 PM

Bacall's apartment is a nightmare. Just hideous,tacky and bad taste. For comparison, Vivien' collections sold by Sotheby's a few years ago. Pure class, and remember that this is just what the family sold, imagine what they kept.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 13, 2020 7:48 PM

Vivien’s taste was very mumsy. She didn’t embarrass herself, but it was all extremely conventional for her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 13, 2020 8:10 PM

no one would do her hair on the Master Class tour, her cunty reputation preceeded her in each city. she was sued for her violent shit on the floor...allegedly

by Anonymousreply 125February 13, 2020 11:51 PM

"Bacall's apartment is a nightmare. Just hideous,tacky and bad taste. "

What do you expect, she was a Jewess from the Bronx!

by Anonymousreply 126February 14, 2020 12:37 AM

Lauren Bacall had bad taste?

Only if Miro, Moore, Edo Period Japanese and Philadelphia Chippendale are in bad taste.

This was an apartment in the Dakota, one of the most ornate apartment houses in the world. Not a mansion by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (whose work I love, BTW). A certain amount of excess is in keeping with the general style.

That said, Faye's apartment isn't bad - just nothing I'd associate with her.

by Anonymousreply 127February 14, 2020 3:20 AM

Using her simian strength, Dunaway will beat the shit out of you AND rip off your face.

I think that makes her victor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 14, 2020 3:27 AM

1-833-NOT-ME-US

by Anonymousreply 129February 14, 2020 3:29 AM

R127 stuffing a stunning Dakota abode with shitty elephant shaped bamboo furniture from a pier import depot, tacky barbotine ceramics and peppering the walls and faux antique wooden suitcases with random Miro and Giacomettis doesn't exactly reflects good taste in my book.

by Anonymousreply 130February 14, 2020 6:36 AM

You can see the state of Bacall's mind in her apartment. A healthy mental state did not reside there.

by Anonymousreply 131February 14, 2020 7:54 AM

For your Yentatainment:

Aunt Bettys tchotchkes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 14, 2020 10:49 AM

Does Faye have coke nose?

by Anonymousreply 133February 14, 2020 12:16 PM

Well, look what we have here! YOU FUCKIN GODDAMN LITTLE HOMOSEXUAL BOYS! HOW FUCKIN DARE YOU COMPARE ME TO THE UBER CUNT THAT WAS BETTY BACALL I am merely a humble and misunderstood artiste trying to ply her trade to the best of her ability...HOW FUCKIN DARE YOU! I'M HOLLYWOOD ROYALTY, BETTY COULDN'T ACT TO SAVE HERSELF, SHE LIVED THROUGH BOGEY. YOU FUCKIN GODDAMN LITTLE HOMOSEXUAL BOYS DESERVE THE CUP OF PISS, THE LETTUCE IS TOO GOOD FOR YOU!!

by Anonymousreply 134February 14, 2020 12:29 PM

throwing in a raw steak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 14, 2020 6:55 PM

R135 that was actually not in the script. it was on set during a break in filming and the camera kept rolling while Faye was giving a regular phone call. They decided to keep it for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 136February 14, 2020 6:59 PM

Is Lou still alive?

by Anonymousreply 137February 14, 2020 7:02 PM

According to r132's link Bacall's collection was full of naked women ! Some of them you can also see the pussy ! She must have been a huge homo deep down. For that she wins in my book.

by Anonymousreply 138February 14, 2020 7:55 PM

I could definitely see Bacall as a lesbian.

Faye I'm not sure about.

by Anonymousreply 139February 14, 2020 10:13 PM

Faye is too messy to be a secret lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 140February 14, 2020 10:24 PM

Bacall was so universally loathed, who would care to keep her sexuality a secret?

by Anonymousreply 141February 14, 2020 10:25 PM

One of my friends did Faye's makeup for her Callas film that was forever being filmed. She played one of Faye's messages to me, and it was hysterical- apparently she had lost her phone charger and was asking in very sweet tones if my friend found it, then would start screaming at the skycaps or someone about her luggage, then abruptly change back to sweet mode to my friend. I've also worked with her a couple of times and found her fascinating. She's the bane of makeup and hair people- so much so that one guy tried quitting a project, and production kept begging him to return. He kept on threatening to quit to the point where he was the highest paid crew member on that production.

Plus Faye can do this (I tried and it is not easy):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 14, 2020 11:01 PM

re Bacall supposed lesbianism, she was good 'friends' with Katharine Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 143February 15, 2020 5:57 AM

As for that cuntly remark she made to Shelley Winters about Tony Fransciosa (sp?), she should have punched Lauren Bacall in the mouth as soon as she saw her on the street.

by Anonymousreply 144February 16, 2020 12:52 AM

Crazy women have always loved me so Faye and I would get along. Bitchy Betty would have been great fun at a dinner party but nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 145February 16, 2020 2:59 AM

Shelley vs. Betty - do we have corroboration that Betty actually made that remark?

Shelley was a true character but inclined to stretch the fabric of truth from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 146February 16, 2020 3:56 AM

Joan Collins made a similar remark to Cloris Leachman.

by Anonymousreply 147February 16, 2020 4:02 AM

R146, True, Shelley made a lot of claims in her books that don't add up. So, I'm inclined to believe that many of her anecdotes are fanciful reimaginings of what really went down.

by Anonymousreply 148February 16, 2020 4:02 AM

Bacall and Sinatra were fucking before Bogart was cold in the ground. It's not unlikely that she'd fuck Franciosa behind Shirley's back.

by Anonymousreply 149February 16, 2020 4:05 AM

Not arguing that point. Just finding it a little hard core that she made that comment to Shelley over the phone.

I remember a picture of both of them around that time where Lauren is sitting on Shelly's lap and both of them are laughing and obviously three sheets to the wind, so unsure if they really feuded.

Also, Shelly told another amusing story about meeting Franciosa some years after the divorce and not recognizing him, so it would seem she got over it.

by Anonymousreply 150February 16, 2020 4:14 AM

Betty and Shirley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 16, 2020 4:31 AM

Fuck, were they going to drink that glass of wine or soak in it?

by Anonymousreply 152February 16, 2020 4:34 AM

Wow, those houses really are a reflection of their owners, tacky (bacall) and vacant (dunaway)

by Anonymousreply 153February 16, 2020 11:00 PM

Lauren Bacall’s (large) apartment is rather overstocked, but not TACKY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 16, 2020 11:45 PM

“Shelley was a true character but inclined to stretch the fabric of truth from time to time.”

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves!

by Anonymousreply 155February 17, 2020 11:50 AM

I always remember reading an interview with Douglas Sirk in which he talked about casting. He cast Lana Turner in Imitation of Life because he thought her fakeness was right for the role.

And he cast Lauren Bacall in Written on the Wind because he said she had a calculating quality. It was fascinating because the scripts of each film presents these actresses' characters as "good," but Sirk was thinking about other things.

by Anonymousreply 156February 18, 2020 12:39 PM

R154 "Lauren Bacall’s (large) apartment is rather overstocked, but not TACKY." Her apartment looked like Miss Havisham's 10 years before the fire. Not tacky, but an endless display of famous mementos that I'm sure she thought elevated her because, at her most basic, Bacall was a terribly insecure, self-loathing narcissist who used objects, human and otherwise, to move up in her own poor self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 157February 19, 2020 5:56 AM

God, I love Lauren.

She had great taste, too:

[quote] Q: Who’s on your list of current-day great actresses?

[quote] A: It’s a short list. I love [bold]Jessica Lange[/bold], always been a fan of hers. Annette Bening. And Kate Winslet. She’s always been good, even in those early movies in England.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 19, 2020 6:04 AM

Wait, Bette liked Jessica, too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 19, 2020 6:06 AM

There is no goddamn pattern because M loooooves J, too. The bitch admits below @ 4 minutes that she would’ve willingly given Lange all her roles because as she says of her, “she’s divine”, “amazing”, “beyond wonderful”, “no one human could do what Jessica did.”

No, no pattern (other than two out of the theee mentioned hated Faye), just the reality: [bold]Jessica Lange is an iconically brilliant actress fanned over by the very best[/bold].

Now then, continue the drunken Faye ramblings, lol.

So sad, so apropos...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 19, 2020 6:11 AM

[R158] I find nothing in that interview to disagree with myself.

Re: Bette Davis, Davis evidently admired Bacall in Applause, although the compliment she paid her - "only she could have played this role" might not have been, strictly speaking, 100% a compliment. But then Davis, having worked with Dunaway, never missed an opportunity to unload both barrels in her direction, although I think she also thought Dunaway had talent too.

I love Davis, but she was probably a bigger bitch than both of them put together. I think she did come to regret the fact later in life and paid numerous co-stars she put through the wringer, including Marilyn Monroe, various compliments. She even once admitted of Joan Crawford that she was the consummate professional and that she wished she was half as beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 161February 19, 2020 6:14 AM

[R160] I'm curious - I know Bette hated Faye but which of the other two did?

And yes, Jessica Lange is an amazing talent and Bette, Lauren and Meryl are/were completely right to praise her.

by Anonymousreply 162February 19, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote]r161 Davis, having worked with Dunaway, never missed an opportunity to unload both barrels in her direction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 19, 2020 6:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 19, 2020 6:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 19, 2020 6:36 AM

'I'm sure she thought elevated her because, at her most basic, Bacall was a terribly insecure, self-loathing narcissist who used objects, human and otherwise, to move up in her own poor self-esteem.'

Knew her did we?

by Anonymousreply 166February 19, 2020 10:28 AM

Wow this thread has derailed something awful. Since when being praised by co-stars = good actor ??? I saw miss Lange in 5 movies. In streecar named desire and blue sky, she was embarrassingly bad. In tootsie and King Kong she was completely generic. In music box she was good and competent , but no more than 2 dozens other actresses. I don't understand the current hype. Miss Bacall was an unforgettable beauty when very young, and a surprisingly good actress with an extremely narrow range. Miss Dunaway was perhaps even more beautiful, a superb, versatile actress, who gave several complex, layered, iconic performances. She's notoriously unpleasant. Bacall was universally loved by her peers, even though the feeling was one sided. L'ange will be forgotten in less than 15 minutes IMO.

by Anonymousreply 167February 19, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote]Ethel Merman tops both of them.

Honey, Ethel Merman topped Ernest Borgnine.

by Anonymousreply 168February 19, 2020 12:10 PM

R167 Bacall was universally loved by her peers? You don’t say.

by Anonymousreply 169February 19, 2020 1:28 PM

Juliette, even you admitted that she deserved the oscar that Harvey attibuted to you for your good cocksuc... Acting.

by Anonymousreply 170February 19, 2020 1:46 PM

R165

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 19, 2020 7:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2020 7:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 19, 2020 7:15 PM

Dunaway will often accompany her bitchiness with shouting and tantrums.

Bacall had the reputation of being quite calm and matter of fact while directing her venom.

by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2020 8:42 PM

R171/172/173 you call that good acting ? No human being behaves like this. Not even Monroe (who she clearly imitates) in her worst movies. But I suppose you think she's faaaabulous. You probably like drag queens ?

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2020 9:31 PM

R174 Dunaway is more like Sinatra. One evening Sinatra and Dean Martin or some trash like that were playing with their miniature train, and Bacall, who was Sinatra 's squeeze at the time called them for dinner. As they weren't coming, she went looking for them with their plates in hand and an attitude. Furious Sinatra took the plate from her hand and dropped it on the floor upside down.

by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2020 9:39 PM

Frank had bipolar and i'd bet Faye does too

by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2020 9:59 PM

Poor retarded Matt at R175. I guess there wasn’t enough “elbow action” in those gifs, lol!

Meanwhile, Meryl, Bette and Lauren would like a word with you, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2020 10:43 PM

Good heavens, the Faye loon is at it again! ANOTHER Faye article!

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2020 10:47 PM

Faye must always be the most important, most talented, most beautiful, and most special person in a room. All attention must be on her. That's classic narcissism right there. She makes people wait on her, won't come to set until she has all her ridiculous demands met, etc. Certainly, she always gives a great performance, but after awhile, all the behavior that comes with it makes her a real drag and no one wants to work with someone like that.

Bacall could be a bitter bitch, but she was always on time, knew her lines, was dependable, and didn't keep the cast and crew waiting. She was, perhaps, more limited in talent and range than Dunaway, but I think most people would rather work with someone like her than someone like Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 180February 19, 2020 11:08 PM

R179 It stopped asking for ‘lotion in the basket’ and has honed in on DL once again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181February 19, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote]R180 She was, perhaps, more limited in talent and range than Dunaway, but I think most people would rather work with someone like her than someone like Dunaway.

So, then why didn’t she work more?

Had ta go crawlin’ back to Broadway....

by Anonymousreply 182February 20, 2020 12:12 AM

But once she got to Broadway, she earned career best reviews. She ended up being much better on stage than on screen. Kathleen Turner started doing the same thing - first to prove herself as more than a sex pot and then, later, when her film career dried up to middle age and her illness that caused her to gain weight. She's pretty magnificent on stage as well and seems to prefer doing that more than movies and TV these days.

Sometimes, the theatre treats older dames a bit better than Hollywood does.

by Anonymousreply 183February 20, 2020 1:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!