Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It’s Brexit Day!

The end of the UK forever!

by Anonymousreply 174February 18, 2020 10:06 AM

Congratulations to the British people on winning their independence.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2020 9:15 AM

The UK does not play well with others. The people of the UK are poor sports, and they elected Trumplike Boris Johnson by a landslide. I don’t think I will ever hold the United Kingdom in high regard, as I did for a long time, again. Enjoy being ‘better’ than everyone else, Britain; you’re now the Confederacy of Europe. I hope Scotland divorces you now that you’ve divorced Europe.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2020 9:19 AM

The news coverage is full of idiots dancing about in excitement. Just wait until the travel restrictions and customs regulations kick in. All the many thousands of UK pensioners living in Spain and France will no longer have reciprocal health care arrangements. Those with chronic conditions will have to move home. We will lose the Erasmus programme, denying young people the opportunity to live and study abroad and learn a new language. The people in deprived areas who voted for Brexit thinking it would improve their lives will soon find that they are even worse off. Immigrants bring investment and jobs, and they are much less likely to move to the UK now. The Tories have a year to work out a deal with the EU, which provides 49% of our trade. All the talk of them needing us more than we need them is nonsense, it’s the biggest trading bloc in the world. This will not end well going by the past three years of wrangling and obfuscation. This is an act of noxious, gleeful stupidity and self harm.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2020 9:33 AM

I have to live with a decision I voted against under a party I would never vote for.

I’d move abroad but my partner is older and now partially disabled so uprooting would be difficult. Ironically the one thing I was thankful for was the NHS but I can’t believe the Tories won’t sell it off to kiss Trump’s fat, orange arse.

The only consolation is I live in a town where most people share my sentiments and Which is probably one of the last bastions of old school liberalism. How long it will last is another matter. Already some Polish and Hungarian friends have left because of increased racism.

Fuck all the jingoistic idiots celebrating today. I only hope when the shit hits the fan they feel it more than most. Though undoubtedly they’ll blame everyone but themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2020 10:58 AM

I knew when the day came, the drama queens would come out in force. Layer it on thick, guys.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2020 11:04 AM

R1 = Brexit moron, probably some Trump-supporting idiot from the middle of nowhere

Now that the UK will at last fuck off, there's somewhat relief as nobody will miss their cherry-picking attitude. It's about fucking time to move on, there are much more important tasks than being considerate of the UK's constant whining.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2020 11:16 AM

As my Brexit voting uncle said, it's 'just a feeling'. He can't explain the positives of Brexit but he still thinks we're better off out and he's happy we've taken back control and will be able to buy New Zealand lamb again. I doubt he'll be out celebrating today but might play that '17 Million Fuck Yous' song before bed, just for a laugh and all. Hurray, St George.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2020 11:23 AM

Germany will never control the English!

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2020 11:27 AM

Nice to see grumpy great-great-grandpa aka R8 has risen from the dead eagerily regurgitating rallying cries from 1917.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2020 11:38 AM

“Already some Polish and Hungarian friends have left because of increased racism.“

?

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2020 12:20 PM

Can confirm all the Eastern Europeans in my little country town are still here, merrily going about their business. They don’t seem fazed or as if they’re anxious to go, and I can’t say I’ve heard or seen any type of augmented racism on display either.

No-one here is really bothered, as it goes. Rural people are hard to agitate, and there’s always been hardship in the sticks so what’s a bit more or a bit different? There’ll still be opiates & supply shortages, and still won’t be enough jobs. Just another week. ‘Keep Calm & Carry On’ is truly the default British attitude to almost everything.

I’m told the repercussions will be horrible, but if that’s true and there’s nothing to be done why bother to dwell?

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2020 12:28 PM

It's the start of a transition year, right? Like Harry and Megs. So the real fallout is still some time away.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2020 12:30 PM

R2, that high regard you had for the UK was always misplaced. They are a backward bunch. Not all of them, but the Brexit tragedy has proven that the actual number is extreme.

All that remains is to hope that Scotland gains its independence and Ireland is finally unified.

Oh, and Scotland... about Balmoral. Eminent domain it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2020 12:33 PM

Finally. Imagine having a guest who thought they were better than you and your neighbours, bitched about everything in their presence, and yet you couldn't get them to leave. Was nice to have a big economy counterbalance to Germany and France, but not for having to deal with their unjustified exceptionalism.

Au revoir, Pee Wee.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2020 12:34 PM

r12 Essentially. Nothing really changes for another year.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2020 12:35 PM

Rule Britannia!

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2020 12:41 PM

It's finally happened. I don't care anymore. It's been four years now since Cameron announced the referendum. I know Brexit is going to be a disaster, but I just don't care. They've officially broken me.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2020 12:52 PM

The British aren’t Europeans, and they don’t play well with others. Frankly the UK being included in the EU was what always seemed kind of weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2020 12:59 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2020 1:06 PM

So all the naysayers were wrong?

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2020 1:09 PM

r20 About what?

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 1:11 PM

Merkel is nuts. Britain was being flooded with terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2020 1:13 PM

[quote] Germany will never control the English!

Your monarchy is German.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2020 2:07 PM

tons of racists on this thread

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2020 2:12 PM

R24 Is the racism in the room with us now?

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2020 2:41 PM

It's healthy and sane to be nationalistic. Native Indians learned that the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2020 3:02 PM

Not the end of britain OP. Just the next step in its post WW2 devolution. It's a good thing to live within ones means and national character, and according to ones station in life.

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2020 3:26 PM

Depending on Mitch McConnell's convenience, the United States is probably losing its democracy and rule of law later today.

The UK hasn't really had a democracy, so at least today while everything else there turns to shit, they will be spared that last final embarassment.

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2020 3:35 PM

Couldn't care less about anything, but I would be pissed off at no longer being able to work in Paris or Rome as before. It may not be important to olds and rubes.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2020 4:15 PM

Like Trumpism in the US, at some point I just stopped caring. I’ll vote but am working on acceptance and willful ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2020 4:17 PM

R2, "landslide" in UK terms means 43.6% of the vote, just 1% over the Tory share of the vote in 2017, which was supposedly a disaster.

R1 is a moron, but that's par for the course.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2020 4:31 PM

You lose, krauts!

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2020 5:50 PM

Thank God we'll be losing morons like you, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2020 6:02 PM

Thank god you dirty continentals won't be fouling up the green and pleasant land any longer.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2020 6:11 PM

^ What green and pleasant land? Are you talking about the shithole you live in?

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2020 6:17 PM

Europe is so gross. They rarely shower and never wear deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2020 6:19 PM

Europe has turned into an unwieldy expensive bureaucratic nightmare and I think the Brits found it difficult to adjust to being just one of 29 countries instead of leading their own empire.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2020 6:27 PM

Well some of us are happy about it OP, I mean it had to be done. That new yacht won't pay for its bloody self you know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2020 6:30 PM

Who would want to be ruled by un-elected bureaucrats in another country??? The concept is fucking nuts. No wonder England got out, and others are considering following. Open borders globalism is an outdated toxic ideology that working class people are rising up against world wide.

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2020 6:30 PM

R13 Irish Republlican the Scottish love Queen Elizardbeth. If there is an independent. Scotland Queen Elizabeth shall be their monarch. Unlike the Germans other Brits tolerate Scotland's large deficit. The Germans see The Scottish as a cheap bunch. They will make sure that they won't overspend. Just ask The Greeks, The Spanish, The Portuguese and The Irish how they were treated after the 2008 crisis. Like a bunch of. PIGS to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2020 6:31 PM

DRAMA!!!

by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2020 7:11 PM

We - Britain - joined a trading bloc in the '70s. That 'common market' is morphing into a single political entity and it's not for us. It was pulling us in a direction that we didn't want to go. The US wouldn't cede sovereignty to Mexico or Canada, but that's the EU's expectation of its members.

I'm glad we're leaving, but sad that we feel we need to. And I wish us and the EU the best.

by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2020 7:33 PM

So, did Johnson announce which great import and export trade agreements will replace the ones from the EU?

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2020 7:36 PM

French and German anti-EU campaigners show up to join the celebrations in Parliament Square

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2020 8:06 PM

[Quote] Who would want to be ruled by un-elected bureaucrats in another country??? The concept is fucking nuts. No wonder England got out, and others are considering following.

I believe Scotland is considering leaving too. I mean from the UK.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2020 8:23 PM

Europe: The Final Countdowwwwwwnnnnn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2020 8:26 PM

17 Million Fuck Orfs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2020 8:37 PM

A "federal Europe by the backdoor" if you would, R42. Congrats on getting out.

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2020 8:40 PM

The anti-british sentiment in the woke media is making me sick. The greatest european contributions to mankind came from the British Isles. I HATE to see people bashing the UK and saying they are "little". They shaped the modern world. I hate woke people so much. I think leaving the EU will be very good for them in the end.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2020 8:54 PM

How charming, the Brexiteer morons have finally found this thread.

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2020 8:59 PM

I always thought the EU was just another was for Germany to dominate and control Europe without having another war.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2020 9:00 PM

I hope the economy tanks and people run riot in the streets. Who needs a bunch of rotten teeth drunks anyway.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2020 9:04 PM

We're out. I take back what I said @ R17. I'm sad.

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2020 10:04 PM

Shouts of "Independence now!" outside the Scottish Parliament at the moment the UK left the EU

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2020 11:09 PM

Hahaha! Now you're our bitch, Britain!

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2020 11:17 PM

Is it true they are reintroducing traditional public executions now that they are out of the EU?

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2020 11:18 PM

Glorious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2020 11:21 PM

BRILLIANT ARTICLE ON BORIS JOHNSON ON ARGUABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY IN BRITISH HISTORY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 1, 2020 12:47 AM

Congrats, Brits.

by Anonymousreply 59February 1, 2020 1:11 AM

When this all began (early 2016) Trump was a distant nightmare. The Brits must have thought they'd be cozying-up to Hillary Clinton. That didn't happen for them.

Now here we are. Funny how things can go downhill so fast.

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2020 1:45 AM

Kaizerina Merkel won't get her way and rule Britain!

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2020 1:52 AM

Do rapists and pussy grabbers tend to have toadstool dicks?

by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2020 11:13 AM

Nothing has happened yet R60

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2020 1:07 PM

And I have nothing to wear!

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2020 2:06 PM

Sad. It just goes to show we cannot take progress for granted.

by Anonymousreply 65February 1, 2020 2:21 PM

It begins. The EU delivers a big 'Fuck You!' to the UK over Gibraltar.

Go, Spain! Go!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 1, 2020 3:29 PM

Meh - it will be an overhyped minor event that has no big impact on day to day lives. Media screaming and outrage - I’m sick of it. We can’t get informed, intelligent news - just clickbait headlines. The world continues to spin.

by Anonymousreply 67February 1, 2020 4:04 PM

Charming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 1, 2020 9:18 PM

As I feared. And only to be expected r68. As Trump gave permission to racists and populists to spout and act out their vile and puerile thoughts, so too has Johnson and Brexit done the same.

In the best circs, never the most open of people, Brexit will make the English colder and more unfriendly.

by Anonymousreply 69February 2, 2020 12:34 AM

I love how people like that always say "it's majority rule" when it goes in their favour, but cry and gnash their teeth that they are victims if they are in the minority. That whole flyer is so juvenile, it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 70February 2, 2020 12:37 AM

[quote]Brexit will make the English colder and more unfriendly.

No, they are already as cold and unfriendly as can be. Brexit just gives them permission to be less coy about it.

by Anonymousreply 71February 2, 2020 12:37 AM

If I were in that building I would delight in loudly speaking Italian and French (the other languages I know) as much as possible. There is no law that they can stop people doing that.

by Anonymousreply 72February 2, 2020 12:40 AM

Speaking English in England isn't "racist", R69. No wonder Brexit won.

by Anonymousreply 73February 2, 2020 12:48 AM

R73 You obviously haven't read or understood the notice. No wonder Brexit won.

by Anonymousreply 74February 2, 2020 12:59 AM

Is it like Boxing Day, will the help get the day off?

by Anonymousreply 75February 2, 2020 1:01 AM

So what does this portend for western style democracy? Trump and fascists on one hand, the populists and Johnson on the other. Both supported by authoritarian Putin.

Is the EU the only hope?

by Anonymousreply 76February 2, 2020 8:50 AM

There is no hope, R76. Until very recently, the depravity of human nature has been limited by things like gravity, and oceans, and linear time. Electronic communication has cut through all of that.

There is no where to hide. There is no where that is safe. A despot in a secure bunker with government level access to the internet can control... everything. His reach is no longer constrained by the physical world. Every moment is monitored with 'security' cameras. Every transaction is monitored, or can simply be blocked with a few clicks. Cars are controlled by computers. Our location is broadcast by our phones and by our cars.

If Trump or Bolsonaro or MBS or Xi Jinping wants you gone... electronics will show them where you can be found. And the rest is easy.

by Anonymousreply 77February 2, 2020 1:30 PM

There is no hope, R76. Until very recently, the depravity of human nature has been limited by things like gravity, and oceans, and linear time. Electronic communication has cut through all of that.

There is no where to hide. There is no where that is safe. A despot in a secure bunker with government level access to the internet can control... everything. His reach is no longer constrained by the physical world. Every moment is monitored with 'security' cameras. Every transaction is monitored, or can simply be blocked with a few clicks. Cars are controlled by computers. Our location is broadcast by our phones and by our cars.

If Trump or Bolsonaro or MBS or Xi Jinping wants you gone... electronics will show them where you can be found. And the rest is easy.

by Anonymousreply 78February 2, 2020 1:30 PM

There's always hope. Don't forget, I shut the box just in time.

by Anonymousreply 79February 2, 2020 7:41 PM

Once again, you can thank white trash for this mess the world is in.

They fuck everything up.

Especially when it comes to picking elected officials.

You know because, Racism, Bigotry, Hate, and Xenophobia etc.

by Anonymousreply 80February 2, 2020 9:53 PM

Yeah, there are no conservative people in Asia, Africa or Latin America. They are lefties by nature.

by Anonymousreply 81February 2, 2020 10:01 PM

R81 I said what I said, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 82February 2, 2020 10:10 PM

You are dumb and have a very provincial view of the world.

by Anonymousreply 83February 2, 2020 10:16 PM

I’m sorry to see Britain leave. However the EU ought to have taken Britain’s concerns iabout mass inward migration seriously. While the vast majority came to work, and did do, there was an element of coming fir benefits, to which everyone in the EU is entitled to, but at much higher levels in the developed countries. For example in Ireland child benefit is paid at the rate of €140 per month and it’s a universal benefit. Polish immigrant could move to Ireland leaving his family in Poland claim the Irish rate Which was four times the police right and repatriate the money to Poland. Many people I see you have had difficulty with this is particularly when the recipients haven’t paid in the countries in which then I work and their families are back in their countries of origin.

by Anonymousreply 84February 2, 2020 10:24 PM

R84 here abortion of a post autocorrect in overdrive. 😐

by Anonymousreply 85February 2, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]Once again, you can thank white trash for this mess the world is in. They fuck everything up. Especially when it comes to picking elected officials.

Oh yes, democracy. Such an outdated concept.

by Anonymousreply 86February 2, 2020 10:32 PM

R84, it wasn't immigration, dummy — that was the excuse. Immigration is going to continue much as before but this time the establishment can line their pockets without those pesky workers' rights.

by Anonymousreply 87February 3, 2020 12:53 AM

R87 Read what I wrote. The perception that there were too many immigrants, and the actual abuse of the benefits system by a small number of them was an issue. Post-Brexit, some Brexiteers asked when would the deportations begin!

There is no question but that many people who voted to leave felt that their towns/neighborhoods had changed because of immigrants and they felt that ENgland was changing too much. That's what people thought, whatever the reality is.

by Anonymousreply 88February 3, 2020 1:01 AM

R88, you keep on making the same mistake, thinking that 'the people' matter; they don't, they never have. What matters is what the elite think and they somehow feed it through their lackeys: the media. 'The little people' lap it up and vote accordingly (against their own interests). Fin

by Anonymousreply 89February 3, 2020 1:11 AM

R89 Name the elites, and what they have to gain from Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 90February 3, 2020 1:15 AM

R90, you act as if I am talking about some sinister secret cabal. They are in the media everyday, from Rees-Mogg in the Tory party and most of 'his mates' in the ERG to Peter Hargreaves, Boris himself, the city bankers. Haven't you heard of the City of London Corporation? Haven't you heard of the Crown dependencies: Jersey, Guernsey and Co?

by Anonymousreply 91February 3, 2020 1:22 AM

R91 You make it sound like that.

We know there's a rump of British society that's public-school educated, is based in the Home Counties, and who dream of Empire and who wanted out.

LIke it or not, there are many others, unswayed by propaganda who believed that the England they knew-note I say ENGLAND-was changing from what they knew and they wanted it to stop. They could not stop immigrants from the Commonwealth, but they if they left the EU they could stop the Eastern Europeans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 3, 2020 1:30 AM

R92, those are the impoverished middle-classes, that feel threatened about foreigners. The public school boys (from Eton, Harrow, Westminster, you name it) do not care because those immigrants don't run in their circles and it doesn't affect them. The myth that Brexit was a grassroots movement is one of the biggest ruses I have ever seen.

Brexit is a movement coming from the top partly from a PM who lost control of his own party and partly from vested economic interests of the very wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 93February 3, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]Brexit is a movement coming from the top partly from a PM who lost control of his own party and partly from vested economic interests of the very wealthy.

So if Brexit is going to cause the collapse of the British economy and all of the other horrible things that are sure to happen, then why would the very wealthy be all for it?

Exactly who are these very wealthy Brexiteers and what do they have to gain?

by Anonymousreply 94February 3, 2020 3:42 AM

Yes, the British elite were so excited about Brexit that they dragged their feet about it for 3 1/2 years.

by Anonymousreply 95February 3, 2020 6:19 AM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 3, 2020 8:28 AM

I'm disgusted with my country to be honest, I think it's a huge backwards step and I am absolutely furious at the people who made this happen. I think it will be a slow car crash - and by the time they realise what they've done it will be too late. It will take generations to recover from this idiocy. Pretty much all the people I've seen asked on TV why they voted for it and what positives it will bring have no intelligent response whatsoever. It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 97February 3, 2020 9:01 AM

R94 - look up 'disaster capitalists' for your answer. Jacob Rees-Mogg for example.

by Anonymousreply 98February 3, 2020 9:02 AM

Also one of the most frustrating thing about people who voted for Brexit, most of the time the reasons they give for it are actually nothing to do with the EU, and are the fault of our own government, the EU has just been a convenient scapegoat. Unfortunately they are too thick to realise this and they wouldn't admit it even if they did.

by Anonymousreply 99February 3, 2020 9:07 AM

So why and how did an advisory result of a referendum become a cast iron decision to leave the EU? Sorry, if it's been answered upthread.

by Anonymousreply 100February 3, 2020 5:27 PM

The Brexit folks had better, more well funded, public relations efforts.

And there are oh so many not-very-bright Brits.

by Anonymousreply 101February 3, 2020 5:36 PM

As an American watching "Brexit" playout from across the pond, The UK seems to be a serious backwards shithole of a country.

I mean, you all sing a song called "God save the Queen" for crying out loud. Do you really think God would approve of there being a "Queen", who lives the way her and her family lives, which is partially funded by the UK tax payers. While there's so much poverty in the UK and the BRF live it up in the lap of luxury without a care in the world.

And the majority of the British public just seems to be fine with this? As an American, it looks 19th century let them eat cake to me. It just looks really bad from the outside.

America has Trump at the moment. But at least we can get rid of his crazy ass in November. Here's hoping anyway. But that monarch and Brexit, you guys seem to be stuck as fuck.

Goodness gracious, the Brits are backwards.

by Anonymousreply 102February 3, 2020 5:59 PM

R94, the super rich in the UK got behind Brexit because the EU has brought in new laws to probe offshore tax havens, where huge amounts of money are concealed. Many of these offshore accounts are in places like the Cayman Islands, which are British Overseas Territories, and therefore would have been subject to scrutiny if the UK had stayed in the EU. It was never anything to do with immigration. People were manipulated into thinking it was.

by Anonymousreply 103February 3, 2020 6:27 PM

R102, I’m not British but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to base the values of the entire country on the lyrics of the National Anthem. I mean the Star-Spangled Banner is basically A Tribute To War, but that doesn’t mean the whole country is backwards.

by Anonymousreply 104February 3, 2020 7:16 PM

No, of course you're right, r104.

First voting Trump in, and then refusing to impeach him for patent high crimes, THAT's what means the whole country is backwards.

by Anonymousreply 105February 3, 2020 7:22 PM

[quote]I'm disgusted with my country to be honest, I think it's a huge backwards step

Self-determination is indisputably a step forward.

by Anonymousreply 106February 3, 2020 10:23 PM

There was always self-determination pre-Brexit R106. You sound like a 'taking back control' troll

by Anonymousreply 107February 4, 2020 7:39 AM

Bump r100

by Anonymousreply 108February 4, 2020 4:55 PM

R7 “happy we've taken back control”. Control of what you fucking cunt moron.

by Anonymousreply 109February 4, 2020 7:53 PM

R99 My heart bleeds for the UK. It is so sad to see our neighbours go down this road.....

by Anonymousreply 110February 10, 2020 12:40 PM

Karma. What country has done more damage, more egregious things to planet Earth and its people than merry olde England? And now they've withered to a racist, aging island obsessed with "royals" and gossip.

Ta ta!

by Anonymousreply 111February 10, 2020 1:09 PM

True that R111 I just feel sorry for all Brits and esp. Scots who don't want to leave the EU at all. It is undemocratic too that England is dragging Scotland, Wales and NI down with them.

by Anonymousreply 112February 10, 2020 1:20 PM

England is responsible for the shithole America is today. The racism, the hatred, the system of white supremacy etc.

America learned all about imperialism from Great Britain.

England has always been an evil place. America is just a much larger worser version of England.

America is an offspring of England, and it takes after its senior in every way. Just in a much grander existence.

by Anonymousreply 113February 12, 2020 5:41 AM

R113 well said

by Anonymousreply 114February 12, 2020 2:49 PM

“worser”?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 115February 12, 2020 4:11 PM

R113, I agree with you fundamentally, however, I still think the diverse population in the US helps to counteract this. It doesn't always succeed though, but I feel it's better than in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 116February 12, 2020 6:33 PM

Thanks everyone. I say everything I said at R113, as an American who has roots in America going back centuries.

But the truth is the truth. America is all that it is today, because of "Great Britain."

And that's not a complement.

by Anonymousreply 117February 12, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]England has always been an evil place. America is just a much larger worser version of England.

What country should it have taken after?

by Anonymousreply 118February 12, 2020 7:06 PM

R118, none

by Anonymousreply 119February 12, 2020 7:30 PM

R119 powerful truth. Europe should've never colonised the world.

by Anonymousreply 120February 12, 2020 7:39 PM

Oh God now the teeth are just going to get even worse as they slide into the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 121February 12, 2020 7:47 PM

Oh God now the teeth are just going to get even worse as they slide into the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 122February 12, 2020 7:47 PM

[quote]I mean the Star-Spangled Banner is basically A Tribute To War, but that doesn’t mean the whole country is backwards.

No, it's not. It's about survival. And ironically, in the context of this present argument, it's about surviving an attack from Great Britain.

[quote]What country has done more damage, more egregious things to planet Earth and its people than merry olde England?

GERMANY.

by Anonymousreply 123February 12, 2020 8:30 PM

R123 let's call genocide survival. nice twist. It wasn't about your civil war, it's colonialism and imperialism. Stealing land from others and then fighting over stolen land.

by Anonymousreply 124February 12, 2020 8:45 PM

There is some truth to that, R113, but the colonists came not just from England. There were different cultures, languages, histories brought here from the very beginning.

What they all did share was Christianity. That shit should have been left behind in Europe. If you want to know what fucks this country up, and always has, it's Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 125February 12, 2020 8:54 PM

r124 [quote] let's call genocide survival. nice twist. It wasn't about your civil war, it's colonialism and imperialism.

What the blue blazes are you talking about? Star Spangle Banner and the Civil War?

[quote] Stealing land from others and then fighting over stolen land.

Welcome to the history of the whole fucking world from the moment humans came to be.

by Anonymousreply 126February 12, 2020 9:09 PM

R125 zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 127February 12, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote] What country has done more damage, more egregious things to planet Earth and its people than merry olde England? GERMANY.

Bollocks

by Anonymousreply 128February 12, 2020 9:30 PM

Oh I'm sorry. You're right. I should have said Germany AND Japan.

Not to mention the Mongol Empire.

Now, those three are some peerless murderous greedy land grabbers.

Look at a timeline of world populations. There are three moments when the world's population decreases dramatically. The Bubonic plague, the Mongol Empire and WWII.

by Anonymousreply 129February 12, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote] I just feel sorry for all Brits and esp. Scots who don't want to leave the EU at all.

There’s no Berlin Wall preventing them from emigrating to the EU if that is where they would rather be.

by Anonymousreply 130February 12, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote]I’m sorry to see Britain leave. However the EU ought to have taken Britain’s concerns iabout mass inward migration seriously.

Sounds just like the US Dems. That’s whats fueling maga.

by Anonymousreply 131February 12, 2020 10:40 PM

R117 “And that's not a complement.”

You’re right, it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 132February 12, 2020 10:57 PM

R113 Australia, New Zealand and Canada were under British influence for much longer than America! Those countries are far more civilized than The US is.They re much better run just like the UK is. The idea of good government in those places comes from Britain. The cities happen to be cleaner like UK cities are. The US took the worst of the various immigrant groups that went there.

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2020 11:00 PM

R133 = Alice in Wonderland

Tell that to the aborigines that have been simply ignored or even exterminated on their own land

by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2020 11:18 PM

Most of the world's most murderous dictators were not White. And were not European.

by Anonymousreply 135February 12, 2020 11:35 PM

R135 Tells Delusional Lies!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2020 11:41 PM

R136 Exactly.

If you point out the truth, it's still "Delusional Lies!!!!!"

Today it's all about rewriting history.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2020 11:56 PM

R134 What about The Native Americans and Blacks in The US? Touche' . Go back and tell me the last time you even met or talked to a full blooded Native American in The US? I won't be holding my breath...........

by Anonymousreply 138February 13, 2020 3:00 AM

I find all this talk and resentment about the British Empire absolutely fascinating. Mostly because there's this wild misconception about how the BE came to be. Lots of talk of violence and seizing indigenous peoples lands at gunpoint. And I'm not going to say there wasn't violence, Gun Boat Diplomacy, aborigine massacres in Tasmania, Amristar, etc. but that's not at all what built the empire.

The English were the last major European power to enter the game. It all started with simply trying to buy spices. That's it, just a business deal. The single most effective way they built the empire was by defeating other European powers in wars that had little to do with overseas territories. Spain colonized Jamaica violently, GB won it from them in in a war. The Seven Year War and they get Canada from the French. Napoleonic wars got them South Africa, having been invited in by the Dutch who feared the French. And as for India, the British concerns were entirely peaceful and commercial until the fucking French got violent and greedy and tried to kill them and kick them out. That didn't go well for the French. And without the American Revolution Britain would have left Australia alone and it would have been the Dutch to take over.

The Europeans have never been able to accept that the backward little island outsmarted and outmaneuvered them up down and sideways on the world stage.

I'll never count the British out. They are hardy tough bastards when the going gets rough.

Who else would dare take on a terrorist with a narwahl tusk?

And for the record, I'm an American Irish Swede.

by Anonymousreply 139February 13, 2020 4:48 AM

The Irish in America is trash. Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Megyn Kelly, Mike Pence and half the fucking federal government. All evil racist bigoted right wing trash.

The Irish did not send their best.

by Anonymousreply 140February 13, 2020 7:15 AM

"And for the record, I'm an American Irish Swede"

Sure you are, r139.

And I'm a Dutch South African who's ever so grateful to the English for cordially accepting our invitation to invade our country and then locking us up in concentration camps in the Boer War! So smart, inventing those ...

by Anonymousreply 141February 13, 2020 9:04 AM

Colonialism is based on capitalism and no it's definitely not just Britain, it's most of North/Western Europe. The greed and the feeling of being superior to "primitive" or non western people has caused all the death and destruction. The difference seems to be that England still feels superior and all important today, economically and politcally but doesn't realise that times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 142February 13, 2020 12:39 PM

R138, did I claim that that was not the case? I am not the one asserting that Canada, N Zealand and Australia are very civilised, which they are not. They are all rotten.

by Anonymousreply 143February 13, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote] The English were the last major European power to enter the game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 13, 2020 2:50 PM

The Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and French started their empire building in the 16th century. The Brits didn't get going until the 17th. So yeah the Brits were the last in.

And it's a rare and funny moment to see an Afrikaner try to take a superior moral stand about the British. How did the Xohsa and the Khoisan feel about Boer expansion. Nice try r139. That was a good laugh.

And the Brits may have coined the term but people have been rounded up and put in camps for millennia.

by Anonymousreply 145February 14, 2020 1:37 AM

R145 Comapred to the liberatarian and capitalist loving USA that elected that dumb ruffian Trump they are! Go get a passport(most Americans don't have one) and make a visit to those countries. You don't see shitholes like Detroit, The Bronx, LA or Miami in those places.

by Anonymousreply 146February 14, 2020 1:40 AM

[quote]Australia, New Zealand and Canada were under British influence for much longer than America! Those countries are far more civilized than The US is.They re much better run just like the UK is. The idea of good government in those places comes from Britain. The cities happen to be cleaner like UK cities are.

The U.S. is too large and diverse to make such simplistic and ignorant comments about it. There are many well run cities that are very clean. It all depends on the government in power in a particular city. Hellholes like San Francisco and Oakland, for example, are not representative of the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 147February 14, 2020 1:56 AM

R`37You forgot Philly as well. US cities have many homeless, a lot of poverty and are dirtier than cities in places like Australia, Canada and New Zealand. It is shocking how ugly the NYC subway is for being the most important urban mass transportation system in that country. For such a wealthy city it is dirty and grimy. That could be said of many US cities.

by Anonymousreply 148February 14, 2020 2:50 AM

In general US people are friendly in my experience and once outside the cities there are many stunning national parks to be explored. I agree it's a poor country compared to north western Europe but Britain won't be far behind very soon.

by Anonymousreply 149February 14, 2020 9:05 AM

Colin on 2 Feb:

[quote] Brilliant weekend celebrating Brexit.

Colin today:

[quote] Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn’t the Brexit I voted for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 14, 2020 2:21 PM

But the EU rules remain the same this year. Schiphol is simply busy at times.

by Anonymousreply 151February 14, 2020 3:27 PM

Voting for Brexit made no sense. It was all a thoughtless response to a litany of pointless grievance and an opportunity to lay blame on Europe.

So there's no surprise that the OP continues that same pattern and practice.

by Anonymousreply 152February 14, 2020 4:11 PM

Ugh. NOT OP. "Colin" in R150's quoted tweet. Sorry.

And WHEN will we be able to edit our posts???

by Anonymousreply 153February 14, 2020 4:12 PM

I meant R147.

by Anonymousreply 154February 15, 2020 2:06 PM

There's no such thing as Afrikaners at all. They are white people who never left to go back to Europe. They are invaders, and have no business in Africa.

That's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 155February 15, 2020 5:10 PM

just like all the americans who aren't native americans don't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 156February 15, 2020 6:33 PM

R156 Well some of us were brought here by force. So take t bgg at up with the colonizers.

by Anonymousreply 157February 17, 2020 12:59 AM

r46 OMG YES

by Anonymousreply 158February 17, 2020 1:33 AM

Mais, bien sûr...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 17, 2020 11:03 AM

The UK is going to exploit EU differences at a national level. It will be a mess. The Germans don't give a shit about French fishing rights.

by Anonymousreply 160February 17, 2020 11:07 AM

Why are the Germans always being bashed?

I'm certain the Dutch and Danes care very much about their fishing rights too and don't forget all the member states individually have to agree on a deal.

"The EU has repeatedly warned that the UK cannot expect to enjoy continued "high-quality" market access if it insists on diverging from EU social and environmental standards.

Last week the European Parliament called for the UK to follow EU rules in a host of areas, such as chemicals regulation, food labelling and subsidies for companies, as part of a process of "dynamic alignment". "

I agree it will be a mess for both sides. I do believe it's time for the UK to wake up though, they are never going to get as good a deal as when they were part of the EU. The EU will not bend in certain areas.

by Anonymousreply 161February 17, 2020 11:25 AM

R161, I figure the Germans are always getting bashed because of WW2.

by Anonymousreply 162February 17, 2020 11:51 AM

R160, yeah, Theresa May already tried the 'divide and rule' strategy. It didn't work

by Anonymousreply 163February 17, 2020 11:52 AM

R157, you’re free to go back.

by Anonymousreply 164February 17, 2020 12:00 PM

R161, R162, no, it's because the Jews are very powerful. The Germans should have tried to harass and exterminate the.......— hang on, they already did. The Germans dispensed the same treatment to Namibians on their own land at the beginning of the 20th century. Reportedly about 150,000 or so human beings were tortured, killed, experimented with, etc....and no-one has ever said anything about it.

In fact, the Brits have done the same several times in the African continent and elsewhere and nothing has been done about it either.

In short, it's the fact of being powerful Jews that counts.That's why the Germans are always being called out on the Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 165February 17, 2020 12:43 PM

R161 Because Germans are the worst fucking bullies. NO matter if they are Prussia, Nazi Germany or a Federal republic they go too overboard on things. Follow the leader no matter how right or wrong they are. They are the most hated group in Europe because of their dominance and overbearing nature.

R165 Don't forget what the Teutonic Knights did to the original Prussians(who were not Germanic) or what Prussia did to The Polish. As for The Jews, they always talk about Ottoman Turkish tolerance BUT never what The Ottomans did to The Christians( The genocide against the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks). Everyone is always concerned about how cruelly they were treated yet have little or no empathy to others that suffered under their benefactors.

by Anonymousreply 166February 17, 2020 4:18 PM

R166, you are mentioning people I can't stand: the Poles, the Greek, etc...You're right I have no sympathy for them, but I believe this thread is about the British and how despicable they are RIGHT NOW!

by Anonymousreply 167February 17, 2020 4:55 PM

R164 Why the fuck would I leave a country I was born and raised in, and have centuries worth of roots in? Not only that. But but my bloodline contributed way to much to this country for me and people like myself to not take advantage of what America has to offer and to not share in the prosperity of this this country would mean that everything my ancestors went through would be in vain. I'm robbing this country for everything I can. Why not?

FUCK YOU!

This Is My Country. This place belongs to me and people like me. But your free to go back to wherever you came from. 9 times out of 10, my roots are deeper in America then yours ever will be. That's true of most black people here anyway.

KICK ROCKS!

by Anonymousreply 168February 17, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote] Why the fuck would I leave a country I was born and raised in

Then stfu and get on with it.

by Anonymousreply 169February 17, 2020 5:07 PM

"Get on with it"?

R169 I have enough British friends to know that phrase is straight out of the UK.

Always knew you all were racist pieces of shit. It's where America got it from. Straight from "Great Britain."

Enjoy the sinking of England. I sure will.

by Anonymousreply 170February 17, 2020 5:12 PM

R169

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 17, 2020 5:22 PM

R166 I do not agree. Why keep blaming younger generations after the war? By that logic all western countries could be considered bullies.

"Follow the leader no matter how right or wrong they are" How is this different from today's politics? Trump or Johnson etc.

by Anonymousreply 172February 17, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]Why keep blaming younger generations after the war?

Do you remember the Balkan War, when the people there revealed that they hadn't changed in 500 years? Even Germans know that if they ever let the extreme right-wing get a foothold, the old ways will resurface across the country.

by Anonymousreply 173February 18, 2020 1:19 AM

So you are saying the Germans are more susceptible to extreme politics than other western powerful nations? Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 174February 18, 2020 10:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!