Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coach suddenly folds up ginormous Manhattan store

Luxury leather goods merchant Coach has abruptly shuttered its three-level boutique at Madison Avenue and East 57th Street — the latest blow to the fabled but troubled shopping district, which continues to hemorrhage some of its most celebrated stores.

The 6,000 square-foot Coach emporium at 595 Madison Ave. had been at the prime corner for more than thirty years. Coach spokesperson Andrea Shaw Resnick said the closing “was always part of our planning when we opened our Coach House store at 685 Fifth Ave.” That was in 2016.

The shutdown leaves all of the Vornado-owned retail space at the landmarked Fuller Building vacant. Vornado declined to comment.

The 57th Street corridor between Park and Sixth avenues as well as the blocks immediately north and south have been rocked by one retail wipeout after another in the past 18 months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 5:21 PM

Fumes from Trump Tower?

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 1:49 PM

I feel bad for older shoppers like my mother who like to go out shopping to malls, etc. They feel overwhelmed (and suspicious) with the online shopping process. So they just wear the same old duds.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 1:49 PM

Coach is basically over as a brand. They should've stuck with their beautifully made plain leather bags from 20 years ago. Their current stuff looks like cheap crap.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 2:13 PM

all retail stores will close down. its all online honey...why pay them god dam big rents???? fergit it

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 2:18 PM

There won't be any stores left.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 2:19 PM

Isn’t Coach seen as cheap now?

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 2:20 PM

It's always been overpriced. I weep not.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 2:21 PM

I was just chatting with my wealthy friend who is known for spending lavishly on handbags and shoes. She was saying that these days she's much more interested in spending money on "experiences" like vacations and concert tickets and less on "stuff." I wonder if a large number of people have just decided that those pretty bags at Coach aren't worth all that much to them after all.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 2:30 PM

Buh bye bricks and morter...............

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 2:45 PM

Coach did bring back more of its leather-forward stuff (instead of all logos on cloth). Not sure how well it's doing as a company.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 4:41 PM

Perhaps another big phone store can take over the space

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 5:13 PM

Yet rents aren’t coming down. What is it going to take for landlords to realize they need to lower rents because retail doesn’t make anywhere near what it did 20 years ago. They would probably make more money renting it as apartments.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!