Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diet or exercise

which is more important when losing weight?

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 11:55 PM

It's diet. When you reach the plateau is when you start to exercise.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 7:05 AM

Great advice R1.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 7:09 AM

Abs are made in the kitchen.

80% Diet/ 20% Gym

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 9:59 AM

Diet. However, if you combine a good diet with heavy weight training, you'll be doing your body the biggest favor. People who rely solely on diet tend to still look soft once they're at their goal weight.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 10:06 AM

Diet. Done.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 10:07 AM

Diet is way more important than exercise.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 10:09 AM

Diet. Don't put it in, you don't have to take it off.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 10:50 AM

And those machines at the gym OP that say you've burned 200 calories--that's a marketing tool. It's not remotely based in any sort of actual science.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 10:55 AM

Diet...you really do need to know how many calories you take in vs out. I love weight watchers online ( I don't go to meetings, just use the diet plan and tracking bc tools) and have lost a ton of weight so far. It really is the only thing that works because it keeps me accountable. I exercise throughout the week, which I hope will firm things up and keep me strong. Aging sucks!

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 11:14 AM

Diet

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 11:52 AM

I read an article in The NY Times about sugar activating your body’s aging processes and how much sugar Americans consume annually, so I cut it out just before New Year. It’s helped me take off 15 lbs, look and feel less tired. This was “stealth” sugar in breads and packaged foods. So I’m basically just low carb dieting and managing to stay with it. Preparing my own meals has helped.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 11:56 AM

Surgery.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 11:58 AM

I am an advocate for walking- less wear on your face, my legs are sort of longer and leaner, I don’t get hurt the way my runner/gym rat friends do who then have to stop exercising in total and get depressed and weird. It’s relaxing and I get outside... even back east. Diet and walking. You can do it at your lunch break if you have an office job.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 12:09 PM

What is more important? Being paid to start threads to simulate interest and activity or looking like a twat doing so?

A large proportion of new threads here are desperate inhouse ticklers and clit stimulators for the Frauen.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 12:15 PM

Diet. You can't be too poor, or too thin.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 12:24 PM

According to Adele, it's diet 70%, mental 20%, exercise 10%

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 12:28 PM

I'd do anything to lose weight, except diet and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 12:37 PM

Diet.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 12:40 PM

R13, I agree with that. A good brisk walk gets my heart rate elevated a bit and I get a mild mood boost. I don’t think I need strenuous cardio to get the heart benefits. My husband tried to get me to run (his family is a bunch of crazy runners) and it triggered a panic response in me. I walk A LOT in my daily life; a few miles a day, in Manhattan. Some stretching and lifting, I’m good.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 12:47 PM

Ha, R19, I recently was in NYC for work and I walked all over Central Park, for pleasure. I loved it. NY walking is wonderful fun.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 7:50 PM

All those starving kids in the world aren't hitting the gym six hours a a day.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 8:57 PM

Diet. Exercise is easy. I was running marathons etc and still looked pregnant. It's not hard for me to lose weight. Fast metabolism etc .

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 9:53 PM

Diet, it's pretty universally accepted. You can out-eat your exercise way too easily... it only takes 5 minutes to eat several hours' worth of exercise calories.

Put less kindly... you see those 400lb people waddling around? if you strapped 250lbs on and carried it around all day, wouldn't you consider it exercise? They're burning a lot of calories dragging that weight around. But they're eating waaaay more.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 10:10 PM

Diet for sure.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 10:11 PM

Diet to lose weight, exercise to ensure the health gains from the weight loss. No point in leaving a pretty corpse when you keel over from a heart attack at 54. That doesn't mean you have to run a marathon or go to the gym daily; walking, dancing, cycling and swimming are all fun and get your heart pumping.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 10:29 PM

Plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 10:31 PM

A combo doesn't hurt. I walk two miles a day and cut out white foods, sugar, meat (except for fish.) I lost 50 lbs in a year.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 10:40 PM

I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic. So I started eating carefully so I wouldn't have to start taking diabetes medication. I lost over 100 lbs, and my blood tests all show I'm in standard ranges. It actually wasn't difficult.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 10:44 PM

The best exercise is pushing yourself away from the dinner table.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 10:45 PM

The trouble is we've been getting terrible advice on diet for the last 40 years. If you just religiously followed the food pyramid for 40 years a lot of people would end up diabetic and obese. Like 9 servings of carbohydrates and 3 fruit a day!!! That's nine slices of bread and a giant fruit salad, and no distinction between highly processed and whole carbs.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 11:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!