Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jessica Simpson 'rock bottom': 'It was 7:30 in the morning and I'd already had a drink'

Jessica Simpson details hitting “rock bottom” amid her private battle with addiction.

In an excerpt from her new memoir Open Book, out Feb. 4, the 39-year-old singer, actress and fashion mogul said her problem with alcohol and pills came to a head on Halloween 2017. She and her husband, Eric Johnson, were taking their daughter Maxwell to her school for an early morning event — and Simpson had already been drinking.

“It was 7:30 in the morning and I’d already had a drink,” Simpson revealed, showing the shocking extent of her problem.

The couple hosts an annual family-friendly Halloween party for friends, but as Simpson’s team got her ready — in her Willie Nelson outfit — later that the same day, the start was “zoned out.” When it came to getting Maxwell and their son Ace into their costumes — as a cowboy and a princess — Simpson said she was too intoxicated to help.

“I was terrified of letting them see me in that shape,” Simpson wrote about her kids. “I am ashamed to say that I don’t know who got them into their costumes that night.”

The incident left her too guilt-ridden to face her kids the next morning. Before she went to bed, she took an Ambien to sleep and “slept in” because she was “afraid to see them, afraid I had failed them.”

Simpson said she “hid until they left” for school “then drank” some more.

Simpson’s closest friends — who were worried about her based on whatever happened at the Halloween party — came to her house in what sounds like an intervention.

“I need to stop,” she said she admitted to them. “Something’s got to stop. And if it’s alcohol that’s doing this and making things worse, then I quit.”

The excerpt detailed how her friends gathered around her and helped her set up a treatment plan with a team of doctors, assistance from her mom and dad and therapy sessions to face her childhood trauma being sexually abused which was the root of a lot of her pain.

However, the excerpt doesn’t note the role Johnson, whom Simpson got together with in 2010, played in getting her into treatment. While it could be an omission, tabloid reports from around that time claimed Johnson was fed up with Simpson’s drinking and considered ending their marriage over it. A source told Star magazine at the time, the former football player was “tired of playing dad” to both her and their two kids. In previous excerpt from the book, Simpson calls Johnson a “selfless and loving person.”

Simpson told People magazine that while writing about the Halloween incident in her book, “I realized I was pretty rock bottom.”

However, sobriety has helped make life especially beautiful for the now mom-of-three.

“I had room for so many wonderful moments that I would have missed: sober for the first time ever in my studio and seeing Maxwell grab a guitar. Ace in pajamas he put on himself, proudly adding a sticker to his bedtime chart.”

She continued, “There’s just no better gift. There’s no better gift I can give my kids, there’s no better gift I can give my husband. More importantly, there’s no better gift I can give myself.”

Simpson also recorded the audiobook, which will include new songs inspired by her memoir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2020 1:43 AM

Having Joe Simpson as a father, would drive anyone to drink!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 12:09 AM

Did Nick Lachey know she was a drinker?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 12:10 AM

I wonder if Joe and his latest boy toy will attend the book signing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 12:12 AM

Nobody cares

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 12:12 AM

What is the point of revealing this stuff? Celebrities are so weird. They like to gossip about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 12:14 AM

I would have pegged Ashley Simpson as the alkie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 12:17 AM

No way would Diana tolerate that shit. R6

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 12:33 AM

charming couple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 12:34 AM

He's a former pro football player, R8.

No surprise there.

And even HE couldn't put up with her shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 12:37 AM

I still think she and Nick will get back together

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 12:38 AM

Not a chance R10.

Vanessa Minillo is a filipino person. She will cut a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 12:40 AM

Does she talk about her big ol’ titties?

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 1:41 AM

Well, that explains her shitty singing.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 2:39 AM

I have never liked this dumbass, no talent, skank.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 2:46 AM

I always thought she had a perfect nose, in profile. I loved her early 2000s hairstyles. That's all I've got yo say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 2:58 AM

R2 probably.

R10 that ship has sailed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 8:43 AM

I always laugh at that joke Nick Lachey told about having to play "grab ass" with Joe Simpson at holiday dinners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 6:28 PM

So interesting to me who winds up breaking down and who "makes it " so to speak. Jessica Simpson came from a suburban middle class southern background just like Britney and was positioned in a very similar role culturally, the "naughty but sweet " schoolgirl next door. They were both supposed to be innocent but sexy. In Simpsons case, there was also abuse by a family friend. Both are not particularly bright and struggled with substance abuse but Simpson is fairly high functioning while Spears never fully recovered mentally.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote] In Simpsons case, there was also abuse by a family friend

Don't forget the closet case father!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 7:16 PM

R19 Haha I wonder if she knew. He must have gone nuts for Nick Lachey

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 7:21 PM

So they got married when she was in the midst of her drunkenness. So I assume he was a party boy too. All in all, much ado about nothing. Another Hollywood starlet who ends up abusing substances. Yawn. Not the spectacular, ongoing, denial-filled flameout drama that our dear Lindsay provides - much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 7:22 PM

Am I really supposed to care? She has every advantage in life and she makes a mess out of it. Frankly I’d rather not hear about her ever again. She isn’t worth the print.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 7:28 PM

That explains the carb face: they’re liquid carbs.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 7:28 PM

All the stupidity and vapidity of Britney Spears with the none of the rage attacks.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 7:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 7:31 PM

R7 wasn’t Diana Ross arrested for drunk driving

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 7:31 PM

Is anyone in the entertainment industry NOT self centered slime?

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 7:33 PM

R25 "She thinks she has very good gaydar ". LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 7:35 PM

R18 Jessica's parents were more of a united front. Joe was a gay church preacher. Britney Spears' dad is a bipolar alcoholic. Britney grew up in small town country backwoods and Jessica grew up in upper middle class Plano, Texas. Jessica didn't have her mother encouraging her to sleep with her bf for popularity as a 14 year old. They were Christians and wanted her to wait.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote]always thought she had a perfect nose, in profile

I don't think that's her original nose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 7:50 PM

She is the only one I can think of who actually pulls off the brown eye/light blonde look.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 7:56 PM

Jessica Simpson says she was too young to marry Nick Lachey: 'I went straight from my father to him'

Of course, Jessica Simpson’s honest new memoir, Open Book, spends some time on her relationship with former husband Nick Lachey. Stories have already come out about her longtime reliance on diet pills, to keep the unrealistic figure that a music executive demanded; her struggle with alcohol, which she used to cope with sexual abuse that she endured as a child; and her reaction to ex-boyfriend John Mayer referring to her as “sexual napalm” during an interview shortly after their breakup.

She addressed her one-time co-star on the popular MTV reality show Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica in a new story for People, which features excerpts of her book in its latest issue.

“We really got crushed by the media and by ourselves,” said Simpson, who married Lachey in 2002 and asked for a divorce in 2005. “I couldn’t lie to our fans and I couldn’t give somebody hope that we were this perfect golden couple.”

Looking back, Simpson said she didn’t know herself yet. She was just 22 — and famously a virgin — when they married, while the 98 Degrees singer was 28, when they walked down the aisle. They dated on and off for several years before that, though. She called him her “first love.”

“I respect Nick very much. I was really young and my success hadn’t really begun,” Simpson said. “He knew me as this young innocent 18-year-old that had never been introduced to the world in so many ways. I went straight from my father to him. Nick’s very smart. He was eight years older than me, but he was also young.”

Cameras only made their time as a married couple more difficult.

“We were young and pioneering our way through reality television, always mic’d and always on,” Simpson explained. “We worked and we were great at it but when it came time to being alone, we weren’t great at it anymore.”

Simpson married former NFL player Eric Johnson in 2014, and they share three kids.

“We meant a lot to each other and we always will,” Simpson said of Lachey. “I want to be very respectful because I married him for a reason and we were together for seven years for a reason. He has a family now and I would never say anything to disrespect that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 10:34 PM

Well that’s decent of her. For years she seemed kind of bitter about the pay put she had to give Nick for the divorce settlement.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2020 11:12 PM

*pay out

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2020 11:14 PM

That was decent of her, R33.

Sounds like she has just grown up and matured.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 11:21 PM

Nick wanted a prenup, Papa Joe did not. Nick is the winner!

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2020 12:15 AM

I can't remember what Nick Lachay sang. I don't care. He never says anything interesting.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2020 12:22 AM

He was in the boy band 98 degrees, R37.

They sang lots of good songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2020 12:25 AM

Vanessa is a bit of a comedown compared to Jessica though. And I can’t stand Jessica. But Vanessa is pretty much a cipher. Plus she shagged Derek Jeter who gave her the gift that keeps on giving.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2020 12:46 AM

[Quote] Vanessa is a bit of a comedown compared to Jessica though.

How so??

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2020 9:29 AM

7:30 am and she already had a drink? Amateur.

Try it's 7:30 am, I'm still drinking from the night before and I have a revenue projection presentation at 10 am. A line or two to get me through the morning and we're home free. Couple martinis at lunch, another bump in the men's room, then a lame conference call with IT about the new Oracle update after which I'll see you at the Waterfront Grille for drinks at 5. We'll smoke a little weed to relax, drink a little more, then need a bump to get moving of course. We'll hit the club by 12 pm and then start all over. Hopefully score some Tina cuz bitch I'm tired.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2020 10:03 AM

Why do the the gays have any interest or care about this washed up bitch?

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2020 11:25 AM

R41 here- Oh, dear. AM/PM mixup but it happens when you're tweaking. Anyway, I should've said we'll hit the club at 12am not 12pm - though in P-Town I have hit the club at 12pm, or earlier. I'm hardcore. Before noon it's just weed and a few mimosas or a bloody or three. And then martini lunches. And then Tea Dance. And then the A-House. And then the after party and so on. Couple bumps in between. You know, for energy and a little pep.

What???? Get over it, Judge Judy!!!! Stop looking at me while I stagger home at daybreak.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2020 11:50 AM

R41/R43 You're bragging about being a strung-out addict? Charming.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2020 11:59 AM

R44 You're killing my buzz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2020 12:14 PM

Forget the booze, how many pies had she eaten by that time?

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2020 12:15 PM

Guys, if anything happens to me, R44 can NOT have my things because he hasn't been supportive. I feel like he's uppity about my hobbies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2020 12:57 PM

Vanessa has a disorder that affects many wives who marry up in the entertainment world, “Don’t you know who I am?”. Supposedly she loves telling the paparazzi where she and Nick will be. Nick hates it. But to be honest, Nick is barely C list.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2020 3:52 PM

R48 they're both c-list. I forgot about Vanessa until she showed up on the 90210 reboot.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2020 3:58 PM

I FF’d R44 just because

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2020 8:58 PM

She hasn’t had any attention in 7 or 8 yrs... so she’s slithered out from under her rock to tell us she was a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2020 9:02 PM

She’s so rich now though. She has not a drop of decent taste and she is the ceo of a billion dollar clothing and accessories company.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2020 10:54 PM

Have Lisa and Bart commented?

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2020 11:13 PM

I can’t get over how mediocre her voice is. She makes Janet Jackson sound like Maria Callas.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2020 12:16 AM

r54 I can't get over her horrible technique. No one from dreadful RCA thought it would be alright to give her a vocal coach? JIVE Records (Justin/Britney's original label) was many things, but it knew how to make an artist sounds good on their albums. RCA has always been a mismanaged mess. They even fucked up Diana Ross' discography back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2020 1:12 AM

She always seemed to be singing from her neck, as opposed to her lungs.

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2020 3:43 AM

R51 her drinking wasn't exactly a secret. There used to be alot of pap pics with Jessica stumbling all over the sidewalk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2020 7:45 AM

She had a meet & greet tonight at B&N Union Square and the line was down the stairs and around the block. Who the fuck is a Jessica Simpson fan? I mean she had like two good songs...

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2020 5:32 AM

Is she talking about this morning? How do these stupid celebrity I Got Sober books get published, anyway? Or celebrity autographies, the ones that say "Jimmi Simmi with Carla Olson." I love Grace Slick, but her book bored the fuck out of me. Keith Richards queefs out a book entitled "Life" that I read about five pages of and was so full of inaccuracies I was shocked nobody even fucking checked his story! These celebs get a hefty advance for a piece of shit that's gonna be on the discount table two days after it hits the shelves. I see Carly Simon's been publishing books regularly. I'm convinced it's for the advance dosh. Her real estate may be paid for, but the upkeep must be ruinous.

by Anonymousreply 59February 5, 2020 9:13 AM

Face like a pustule.

by Anonymousreply 60February 5, 2020 9:15 AM

What does "sexual napalm" mean, anyway? Is it a compliment or a diss?

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2020 10:59 AM

White fraus hang out in line to meet a nonentity like Jessica Simpson. She’s richer than she deserves to be, why she’s writing a book, who knows why.

by Anonymousreply 62February 5, 2020 3:14 PM

"why she’s writing a book, who knows why"

Because bored hausfraus need to know??? r62

by Anonymousreply 63February 5, 2020 6:08 PM

I’m more interested in R41s story. Amazed someone can work drunk. Or keep going for 24 hours. Maybe the Tina is the solution. Or not being 48.

by Anonymousreply 64February 5, 2020 6:51 PM

I'm shocked that she's only 39. It feels like she's been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 65February 5, 2020 6:55 PM

Jessica was an ok singer but she never got to be as famous as Britney Spears. She must have felt very envious of Britney before she got her reality show.

by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2020 7:00 PM

Jessica was a shit singer, as was her no-talent sister.

Every time she opened her mouth, it sounded forced and unnatural. No doubt she was coached by her handlers to squeak out a Britney-esque sound so she could sell more records.

I guess that would drive anyone to drink. That, and having a gay minister for a dad. And a hunky first husband with a micro penis.

by Anonymousreply 67February 5, 2020 7:03 PM

She's still fucking NUTS.

"Jessica Simpson Felt the 'Heavens Parting' in Backyard Photo of Kobe Bryant Crash Site"

A late-morning Instagram post from Jessica Simpson is something to be seen.

The 39-year-old singer and fashion mogul shared a picture following the terrible events of yesterday - her house is situated right next to the accident site of the helicopter crash claimed that the lives of basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna Marie Onore-Bryant, and seven other passengers: pilot Ara Zaboayan, youth basketball coach Christina Mauser, college baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri Altobelli and their daughter Alyssa Altobelli, as well as Sarah Chester and daughter Payton Chester.

"Eric Johnson took this photo from our backyard right after the accident happened where Kobe, his daughter, and other beautiful souls were lifted up to be with God for eternity."

Johnson, who married Simpson in 2014, is a former NFL athlete. The couple share three children - daughter Maxwell Drew (7), son Ace Knute (6), and daughter Birdie Mae (10 months). Simpson continues the caption by describing her family's proximity to the situation.

"We could see the emergency helicopters flying over our house," she said.

"I felt the loss. I felt the power in the sky of the heavens parting to make room for the greatest of angels to rise. My heart is completely broken for all the families and loved ones left behind trying to make sense of things in this tragic moment."

The somber photo taken from Simpson's backyard in Calabasas shows sunlight breaking through the billowing clouds, and what looks like a thin layer of fog over the far-off mountains. It was an earlier, thicker fog that is believed to be a leading factor in the chopper's crash.

Simpson concluded by conveying her deepest condolences to Kobe's wife.

"Vanessa, you are the woman and wife that championed your husband to greatness. My prayers are constant for everyone affected by this impactful loss."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 5, 2020 7:05 PM

Dear lord, she honestly named her baby "Birdie Mae?"

And her son, "Ace Knute?"

Now I know for sure that she's insane.

by Anonymousreply 69February 5, 2020 7:42 PM

She’s just your run of the mill southern moron.

by Anonymousreply 70February 5, 2020 8:24 PM

Sometimes dumbasses do better in life because they just do as they’re told, with the right guidance Hillbilly trajectories can change from Meth to Millions.

by Anonymousreply 71February 6, 2020 4:25 AM

Should have just taken the credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 6, 2020 5:41 AM

Jessica is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Lucky her.

And she pretty much fell as backwards into it all.

by Anonymousreply 73February 6, 2020 6:01 AM

Ass backwards ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 74February 6, 2020 6:01 AM

She has one of the worst celebrity bodies, I almost feel sorry for her. You just know that no matter how hard she diets or how much weight she loses she'll always be one Cronut away from looking like, well like she does now. A big square block of flesh and more flesh

by Anonymousreply 75February 6, 2020 6:06 AM

She doesn’t know her ass from Chicken of the Sea. Was it tuna or chicken?

by Anonymousreply 76February 6, 2020 6:46 AM

[quote]I felt the loss. I felt the power in the sky of the heavens parting to make room for the greatest of angels to rise.

Nah Jess, it was just a flock of chickens of the sea.

by Anonymousreply 77February 6, 2020 6:49 AM

Well, Vanessa could have stayed silent on the whole thing. She’s thirsty as hell anyway.

by Anonymousreply 78February 6, 2020 4:24 PM

Bitch won't reveal which diet pills she was on all those years.

by Anonymousreply 79February 6, 2020 4:44 PM

Probably phentermine, R79

by Anonymousreply 80February 6, 2020 4:46 PM

R75 I think she looks fine. One that baffles me is Kate Upton, poor thing is shaped like a box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2020 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!