Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aaron Rodgers doesn't believe in God

In an intimate conversation with girlfriend Danica Patrick, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is discussing his Christian upbringing and how he first began to question his faith.

In a video posted to Patrick’s YouTube page for her Pretty Intense podcast in late December, Rodgers — who was raised as a Christian from a young age — said he had trouble connecting with his religious community as a child.

“Most people that I knew, church was just … you just had to go,” the Super Bowl XLV champion recalled.

It was his time with the youth group, Young Life, that he felt the most sense of community — which he said he didn’t get during typical Sunday mass.

“We went to Mexico during two spring breaks and built houses,” he said of volunteering with the program. “We put together homes for these folks who were living in garage door sides thrown together and stuff, that was meaningful. That was really meaningful work.”

But it wasn’t until Rodgers was exposed to other religions as a young adult that he began to question his own.

“I just didn’t find any connection points with those things,” said Rodgers, who played football at the University of California, Berkeley. “I started questioning things, and had friends who had other beliefs — I enjoyed learning, that’s kind of a part of my life.”

“I had some good friendships along the way that helped me to figure out exactly what I wanted to believe in,” the 36-year-old said in the video. “Ultimately, it was that rules and regulations and binary systems don’t really resonate with me.”

The realization led Rodgers down a path to a “different type of spirituality,” one that is more meaningful to him than what he experienced as a child.

Rodgers also said the growing threat of climate change made it hard for him to accept Christianity.

“I don’t know how you can believe in a God who wants to condemn most of the planet to a fiery hell,” he said. “What type of loving, sensitive, omnipresent, omnipotent being wants to condemn his beautiful creation to a fiery hell at the end of all this?”

hough Rodgers did not specifically refer to himself as an atheist — someone who does not believe in the existence of God or gods — his statements seem to echo those of a growing contingent of people in the United States. According to Pew Research, the number of Americans who identify with being an atheist has increased over the last decade (from 2 percent to 4 percent).

For the two-time NFL MVP, it was the “us against them” attitude he observed that ultimately changed his views on organized religion.

“Religion can be a crutch, it can be something that people have to have to make themselves feel better,” Rodgers continued. “Because it’s set up binary, it’s us and them, saved and unsaved, heaven and hell, it’s enlightened and heathen, it’s holy and righteous … that makes a lot of people feel better about themselves.”

Patrick confirmed to the Associated Press that she was in a relationship with the NFL star in January 2018. Rodgers and Patrick made their red carpet debut at the ESPYs in July 2018 — when Patrick was the show’s first female host.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 7:45 PM

So he has a brain and is capable of reasoning. Why is this news?

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 10:17 PM

Mein Fuhrer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 10:18 PM

That's not what he said, when I was sucking his dick!

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 10:19 PM

Sounds like Aaron isn't very different from his gay brethren.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 10:24 PM

Especially not after that FUCKING HORRIBLE loss to the 49'ers last Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 11:22 PM

Makes sense. Most gay people don't.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 11:29 PM

And now to come out of the other closet.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 11:35 PM

This guy, gay?

No way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 11:37 PM

I’m always happy when people who grew up with that stupidity finally see the light as they get older and figure out religion is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote] “I started questioning things, and had friends who had other beliefs — I enjoyed learning, that’s kind of a part of my life.”

[quote] “I had some good friendships along the way that helped me to figure out exactly what I wanted to believe in,” the 36-year-old said in the video.

Interesting.

His comments could easily be interchanged between religion and sexuality. Sounds like he's trying to tell us something.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote]“Ultimately, it was that rules and regulations and binary systems don’t really resonate with me.”

I hope this doesn't mean he's going to come out as trans.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 11:48 PM

What a misleading headline, both by OP and other reporters. He didn't say he didn't believe in God nor said anything at all about climate change. See link for ACTUAL interview and what he said, go to 3:50 mark in video. He was talking about religious people who say "if you don't believe as I do you will go to hell", so Rogers says how can anyone believe in such a god that condemns so many people to hell and a fiery death, etc. He was just saying he doesn't believe in their interpretation of God.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 12:09 AM

He's originally from the Bay Area.

No big surprise there.

However, it seems that his family might be religious, because apparently his interview created some kind of tension with them.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 5:24 AM

OP, you dropped the balls. This post should of had headline of AARON RODGERS COMES OUT AS NON-BINARY, DL WHORES REJOICE!!

I spit on your grav.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 4:09 PM

Has Kevin Lanflisi commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 6:13 PM

Aging quarterback who doesn't have that many years left in the big leagues takes first baby steps to admit who he really is.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!