Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was the best concert you ever attended?

Or some of your faves?

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2020 12:43 PM

Tori Amos Plugged

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 9:45 PM

The Cure-Kiss Me Tour Depeche Mode-Music For the Masses Madonna-Blonde Ambition

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 9:48 PM

Björk at the Royal Opera House

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 9:49 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 9:52 PM

Little Feat. Absolutely the best.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 9:59 PM

Brandi Carlile at the Hollywood Bowl -- and I didn't even know who she was before that!

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 10:02 PM

Prince at Radio City Music Hall 1982(?)

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 10:05 PM

Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense Tour , Berkeley, 1983.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 10:14 PM

I attended under duress ,but ended up loving David Bowie in St Louis 1976 with "Changes" and "Rebel Rebel," etc.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 10:17 PM

Tori Amos with the Metropole Orchestra- Berlin 2012 and her two LA shows with a string quartet in 2011 Madonna- Confessions Tour Audra McDonald in Princeton NJ a few years ago Carly Rae Jepsen at Irving Plaza NYC 2015 Phish at MSG During their Baker’s Dozen run (although I was on a lot of drugs for that) Fiona Apple at SXSW 2011 Leonard Cohen in Boston 2012ish Courtney Love in Port Chester NY 2013 (Not the greatest show I’ve seen her play but she talked to me from the stage and gave me roses so it’s really special) Bjork at Bonnaroo 2013 Britney Spears Onyx Hotel tour

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 10:27 PM

Phish 1990 at college.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 10:28 PM

R10 here, going to try to re-format so it’s legible.

Tori Amos with the Metropole Orchestra- Berlin 2012 and her two LA shows with a string quartet in 2011

Madonna- Confessions Tour

Audra McDonald in Princeton NJ a few years ago

Carly Rae Jepsen at Irving Plaza NYC 2015

Phish at MSG During their Baker’s Dozen run (although I was on a lot of drugs for that)

Fiona Apple at SXSW 2011

Leonard Cohen in Boston 2012ish

Courtney Love in Port Chester NY 2013 (Not the greatest show I’ve seen her play but she talked to me from the stage and gave me roses so it’s really special)

Bjork at Bonnaroo 2013

Britney Spears Onyx Hotel tour

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 10:31 PM

Elton John’s tour with Ray Cooper. I was kind of indifferent in my opinion of EJ. I liked his music enough, but I was just kind of meh.. After seeing that performance, he had my utmost respect as a musician and live performer. Seen plenty of acts since then, but that show was incredible. The energy from just 2 men on stage was electric and the audience was screaming.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 10:44 PM

Pink at Madison Square Garden Cher at Barclay's Center Reba at Radio City Trisha Yearwood at Town Hall and (as a child) - Carpenters and Neil Sedaka (together) and Beach Boys and Chicago (together)

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 10:46 PM

Tina Turner. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 11:00 PM

Favorites/Best so far...

Sade (opening act - John Legend) - Bring Me Home Tour - 2012 (Louisville) Rufus Wainwright - Live in Concert!- 2004 (New York City) Rufus Wainwright (opening act - Neko Case) - Release the Stars! - 2007 (Nashville) Madonna - Rebel Heart Tour -2015 (Louisville) Madonna - Madame X Tour - 2019 (Chicago) Sufjan Stevens - Carry and Lowell - 2015 (Cleveland) Lord Huron - Vide Noir - 2019 (Cleveland) Aimee Mann and Ted Leo as The Both - On Tour - 2014 - (Cleveland) Yola - Fire Walk with Me Tour - 2020 (Columbus)

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 11:01 PM

Prince- 1999 & LoveSexy

Madonna - Drowned World

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 11:05 PM

Madonna Madame X

I waited for six hours and she never showed up. Was told I couldn’t bring a phone to the show, so I got some sleep. Best show ever!

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 11:08 PM

Captain Beefheart on Clearspot tour

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 11:09 PM

Barbara Mandrell, ya'all!!! It was at a big Amphitheater, so big place. She was so sweet to the audience when they come up to the stage during the show to hand her flowers and gifts and she'd get on her knees and lean down over the edge of the stage and hug and kiss them. It was so awesome of her. It was my first concert, so I had never been in a big venue like that. I was 12. That night I learned what a "urinal trough" was. I liked what I saw. Dicks everywhere! How did I just derail my post reply? Oh wait, this is DL. Everything here eventually becomes infected with perversion!

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 11:20 PM

I've seen a shit ton of concerts over the years, but the best -- in terms of not believing how good the band was, and wanting to walk by Tower on my way home to get their cd -- was Barenaked Ladies. They were the opening act for John Wesley Harding t the Bottom Line, and, at the time, were completely unknown. Their first cd had just been released, or was about to be released. They entered the stage to complete audience indifference, but the crowd was on their chairs screaming and clapping by the end of the set. They put on one of the most engaging, high-energy, memorable shows I've ever seen. I can barely listen to them now, but there was no ne better when they fist started. Another high mark was Prince, some time in the mid-90's. I am not a fan, so I don't know album he was touring. His command of the stage and his body and his voice was extraordinary. I was beyond blown away. I went to see him a few years later in a smaller hall -- the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, I think -- and I was bored out of my mind. His command of the stage seemed to have slipped, or maybe he was having an off night, but it tarnished the memory of that first great concert of his that I saw.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 11:28 PM

My first was the best - Tina Turner, Private Dancer tour

A distant second would be The Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 11:36 PM

Led Zeppelin - 1973 - Madison Square Garden, New York City.

FUCK! They were good.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 11:37 PM

Depeche Mode, Touring the Angel, Madison Square Garden December 2005.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 11:38 PM

1988 R.E.M. Document tour.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 11:43 PM

Who asked for a list? There can only be one BEST people.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 11:45 PM

Peter Gabriel, Peter Murphy, Neil Finn with Lisa on guitar and Johnny Marr, Jellyfish

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 11:47 PM

Springsteen. Kutztown State College, Kutztown PA. Summer of '75, just before Born to Run came out. It was small, uncrowded. We sat on the gym floor. I was in the first row. He sweat on my. I haven't washed that side of my face since.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 11:47 PM

Blonde Ambition tour by that lady in her prime. George Michael Freedom tour too.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 11:50 PM

Tori Amos in 2002 in Fairfax, Virginia. I sat next to her parents and it was fascinating to watch her mother watch her. And it was an incredible performance by Tori of one of her best albums in her prime.

I was very impressed with Regina Spektor in DC in 2008. She was leaps and bounds better than I expected.

I’m also impressed Tori Amos has so much appreciation here. I hate all of you less than I did before I read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 11:54 PM

Karen Morrow at Carnegie Hall. Beat that one!

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 12:03 AM

This seems to be a good accompaniment to this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 12:05 AM

Tears for Fears was my first concert so it holds a special place in my heart. The screaming that made my ears buzz for an hour later and the bizarre smell (pot smoke!) stayed with me for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2020 12:16 AM

My 73 year old dad still talks about that Tears for Fears concert we went to. So sweet

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2020 12:21 AM

Madonna's Confessions Tour

Linda Ronstadt during her Aaron Neville years In Memphis Tennessee at an amphitheater overlooking the Mississippi River as the sun set.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 12:28 AM

I remember my older brother said the best concert he ever attended was the Rolling Stones, back in 1972. But it wasn't for the Stones (who were great, as usual), but for opening act Stevie Wonder.

My own favorite was Elton John / Billy Joel. They opened and closed the show together, popped in and out of each other's act, and each did one of the other's songs in their own set Just a great concert.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2020 12:32 AM

Madonna - blond Ambition Tour in 1990. That was when she was a performer!

also surprisingly, George Michael. Elton John was in the audience and I got to say hi to him before the show.

George was very energetic and put on a really good show.

Part of this video was filmed at the concert I went to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2020 12:46 AM

Sonny Rollins at the Berklee Performance Center in 2001. He went into a solo with his band that became more and more intense with each passing minute. I can only describe it as the musical equivalent of a slow, but estastic build to an orgasm. It was that good.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2020 12:49 AM

Train

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2020 12:51 AM

A Leon Russell concert in the 1970s. But I accidentally took a four-way hit of mescaline rather than a single, and the space ship with Joe Cocker as the Queen of Planet Venus may have been from that.

I saw Bette Midler when Manilow was still playing playing piano for her, and she was simply perfect.

And the third was a simple concert with Cleo Laine singing and John Dankworth playing. Heavenly.

Now ask me about the Carpenters. Oh Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2020 12:58 AM

Chaka Kahn and Adele at the Hollywood Bowl was pretty fun.

Grace Jones was amazing at the Bowl -- more just for her costume changes and commanding presence than her songs.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2020 7:03 AM

Roxy Music, Avalon tour; Stevie Ray Vaughan 2x.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2020 7:51 AM

Jade and Sasparilla - Boston 1977

let me know if that one rings a bell!

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2020 2:26 PM

Jimmy Scott in a little club was an otherworldly beautiful experience.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2020 2:58 PM

Eddie Cantor in the Ziegfield Follies of 1917

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2020 3:03 PM

Tie:

The Beatles, Cow Palace, San Francisco 1966

Ray Charles and Rickie Lee Jones, Caesarea Amphitheatre, Israel 1989

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2020 3:25 PM

Sesame Street Live, Cobo Arena

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2020 3:34 PM

If you want to know why people are putting out lists, its just to brag about their rock and roll lifestyles.

Captain Beefheart fan - I don't guess FZ was with them?

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2020 3:51 PM

Prince - The Lovesexy Tour (1988)

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2020 3:56 PM

r44 - my former partner's high school prom date was his musical director for 20 years!

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2020 4:33 PM

R9 I'm literally melting with jealousy.

My favorite was the Smashing Pumkins in 2000 in their farewell tour. It probably wasn't the best concert ever objectively, but I had just turned 13 and it was my first concert, and my favorite band. It took weeks to convince my parents to let me go. Seeing all this for the first time, the crowd, the smoke, the smell and the bass vibrating through my chest made it a magical experience.

Close second was Bowie in 2003. The last song was Ziggy Stardust and I think I cried a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2020 5:11 PM

Morrissey pulled me up on stage to dance with him . Meat is murder tour. Tower Theatre upper Darby. Also i took a hit of acid at a greatful dead show — one of my buddy’s (also on acid) had a bad trip. Had to take him home - long & sort: we were caught & I had to finish off my acid trip with my parents watching. Will never forget

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Reba McEntire in the 90s at an big arena in California, she did like 15 costume changes, tons of lights, fireworks, 4 backup singers & 10-15 dancers, huge runway-type stage spanning the entire arena floor, arrived on stage in a mini Lear jet, rose above the stage on a platform surrounded by an AIDS quilt while singing her song about the crisis, she ended with an encore of Fancy that started on one end of the stage until fireworks went off and she magically appeared on a cherrypicker at the other end of the arena (the trick I found out years later was a Drag Queen actually started the song on the other end of the stage). It was a fucking spectacle, she’s very engaging and she sounds almost exactly the same live as on albums - but there obviously no lipsync. Not sure her shows are the same now, but I remember reading at one point in the 90s she had a bigger production than Madonna and was the only female artist ranking in the top 10 tours.

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2020 10:19 AM

Also Reba in the early 90s. Her opening act was Brooks & Dunn as their first album came out.

by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2020 10:24 AM

Jones beach in the mid late 80s was my favorite place to see a show. Depeche Mode music for the masses, Squeeze Babylon & on, INXS kick tour, it was a gorgeous venue before they built the upper levels. So many hotties at the shows then too. Then you’d go out to Malibu or The OBI to dance.

The Cure and Bowie at the meadowlands general admission 1988/89(?) were great because I had front row!

by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2020 11:25 AM

Portishead 2000ish Paul Simon 2000ish

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2020 11:54 AM

I saw U2 in 2005. Still the best concert I've been to. Was lucky to get a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 57February 5, 2020 12:10 PM

Bic Runga in the early teens. She has a great song book and the first four songs she chose from it showed exactly how happy she was at that point in her life. A true artist.

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2020 12:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!