Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Seasonal, Regional Foods That You Crave

In February it'll be strawberry donut season again. I'm talking about the famous California institution down in Glendora near LA, The Donut Man. The Donut Man has been serving up much-praised donuts for close to 50 years, and still at its sole location. People have been known to drive hundreds of miles just to get donuts (open 24 hours a day) from The Donut Man. But they really go insane from Feb-Sep a.k.a. strawberry donut season. Seriously these donuts are so good that it's worth it to spend extra 2 hours at the gym beforehand just to stuff my face with them. I always make a trip there when I'm in proximity to LA.

When I visited a friend out in Michigan a few years ago, it was the height of cherry season there, and I'd never had so many wonderful cherry pies and cherry desserts. What are some of the seasonal, regional foods that you look forward to every year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2020 11:05 PM

Traverse City, MI is known as the Cherry Capital of the World. If you were visiting your friend in that area you surely did see cherries at every turn. They've got their big Cherry Festival that goes on for a week. I grew up in that area and miss it so much. The natural beauty of the lakes plus the great food and wine is something most people know nothing about.

I look forward to strawberry season the most. Anyone in Michigan starts the late spring with asparagus then it goes on from there to strawberries, cherries, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apricots and then sweet corn in August. In fall it's the apple crops. I miss Michigan a lot!

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2020 11:02 PM

I love that citrus is still available everywhere on trees in southern California right now.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2020 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!