Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England

[quote]The Church of England has stated that sex belongs only within heterosexual marriage, and that Christians in gay or straight civil partnerships should be sexually abstinent. Bishops have issued pastoral guidance in response to the recent introduction to mixed-sex civil partnerships, which says: “For Christians, marriage – that is, the lifelong union between a man and a woman, contracted with the making of vows – remains the proper context for sexual activity.”

[quote]The church “seeks to uphold that standard” in its approach to civil partnerships, and “to affirm the value of committed, sexually abstinent friendships” within such partnerships. It adds: “Sexual relationships outside heterosexual marriage are regarded as falling short of God’s purpose for human beings.”

People are upset on Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2020 8:25 PM

Do people need yet another reason to say "Fuck you!" to organized religion?

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote]sex belongs only within heterosexual marriage, and that Christians in gay or straight civil partnerships should be sexually abstinent

If EVER there were a "physician, heal thyself moment..."

How about you stop allowing sexual predators and abusers use your church to find their victims, then start wagging your finger at the rest of us?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 5:16 PM

That's just barmy, crackers, mental, doolally, and any other quaint British expression for "fucking insane" you can think of.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 5:16 PM

Apparently, the far-right church members manage to stack these proceedings there. Different story in North America.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 5:19 PM

Why is this news? This has been the CoE stance for years.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 5:31 PM

r5 Because the CoE is currently undergoing a major review of sexuality and marriage, and so people were hoping for liberalisation of some of their stances.

I'm delighted, personally. This will only speed up their demise.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 5:32 PM

Cheers, Church of England. Thanks a lot.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 5:33 PM

Good, I see they are are digging their own grave with great speed and determination.

[quote]The Church of England is facing a catastrophic fall in the proportion of young adults who describe themselves as Anglican as data shows an acceleration towards a secular society.

[quote]For the first time, more than half the population say they have no religion, and the generation gap on religious affiliation is widening, according to the British Social Attitudes survey.

[quote]Only 3% of adults under 24 describe themselves as Anglican – fewer than the 5% who identify as Catholic. Almost three out of four 18- to 24-year-olds say they have no religion, a rise of nine percentage points since 2015.

[quote]Among the next age group, 25-34, only 5% identify as Anglicans and 9% say they are Catholic. The presence in the UK of young European workers may be a factor in the relatively high proportion of young Catholics.

[quote]Among all adults in Britain, only 15% consider themselves to be Anglican, compared with almost one in three at the turn of the century, according to BSA data. Nine percent overall identify as Catholics, 17% as “other Christian” and 6% say they belong to non-Christian religions.

[quote]More generally, 53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015. The latest figure is the highest since the BSA survey began tracking religious affiliation in 1983, when 31% said they had no religion.

[quote]While the fall in religious affiliation is being driven by the young, the proportion of people over 75 saying they have no religion is 27%. A much higher proportion, 40%, identify as C of E or Anglican.

[quote]Despite the rapidly shrinking proportion of the public identifying as Anglican, the C of E continues to enjoy a privileged status as the established church, with 26 seats in the House of Lords reserved for bishops.

[quote]Many within the C of E have warned that its resistance to same-sex marriage, and the difficulty of some churches in accepting LGBT Christians, have alienated almost an entire generation of young adults. Some young people also view the C of E as failing to embrace and represent the diversity of 21st-century Britain.

[more at link]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 5:35 PM

Guardian article at R8 from 2017. Things have not improved for them.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 5:36 PM

“Sexual relationships outside heterosexual marriage are regarded as falling short of God’s purpose for human beings.”

What this means is that the only viable sexual relationship is within heterosex marriage for the procreation of the race. The last six words complete the picture but CoE doesn't seem to spell the procreation bit out, no doubt for fear of falling into the grave it has dug itself. This is no different than other mainstream Christian denominations, so should come as no surprise. The reviews they have periodically are to show how open-minded they are, and should fool no one R6.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 5:41 PM

I shall just leave this here! Hypocrisy abound!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 5:43 PM

I thought THE QUEEN (the head of the church) was also for gay rights? Apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 7:09 PM

r11 he's cute but I'm calling foul on him being a top.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 7:09 PM

R12, do you think the Queen dictates to the COE? More stupidity. And she's not Tory or Labour, she's the fucking Queen. She's on the money, FFS. She doesn't do politics. She has opinions which she keeps to herself as is expected.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 7:12 PM

r14 oh please. THE QUEEN personifies the Tories. She, and the rest of the Royals, do politics, they just do them discreetly.

Also, she could very easily dictate to the COE. If she wanted to. If they aren't already representing her views.

[quote]The Supreme Governor of the Church of England is the titular head of the Church of England, a position which is vested in the British monarch.[1] Although the monarch's authority over the Church of England is largely ceremonial, the position is still very relevant to the church and is mostly observed in a symbolic capacity. As the Supreme Governor, the monarch formally appoints high-ranking members of the church on the advice of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, who is in turn advised by church leaders.[1]

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 7:15 PM

R15, the Queen doesn't call up the head of the COE and say, "get over here, I want to dictate a few rules to you." They're not representing her views. How dumb can you be to think she meddles on a daily basis in politics and religion? You think when the PM comes over, she says, "Now here's what I want you to do next"? FFS, even the people she knights come from a list submitted to her by the government.

Get a clue, you rube.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 7:19 PM

r16 really? You've been there? And know how these things work via backchannels? Read a book, fool.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 7:24 PM

And you've been there, R17? And YOU know how these things work via backchannels? And YOU learned these things by reading a book?

You're not just a fool, you're a fucking fool.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 7:27 PM

r18 so you don't have any actual response, you're just mirroring my words and adding to your ad hominem attack. That's a Trumpian tactic.

You're either a Tory, or a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Fuck those ignorant slime balls.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 7:29 PM

Because by your words, R19, you're saying: A) YOU'VE been there; B) YOU know how these things work via backchannels. Neither of which, obviously, is true.

You know no more about any of these things. You assume she has some kind of Machiavellian power that she asserts. I say that's bullshit. And I'm neither a Republican nor a Tory.

Any other idiot assertions you want to make, based on knowing nothing?

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 7:33 PM

r21 when did you stop having sex with your parents? Do they still call?

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 7:34 PM

And is that your snappy response, R22? Talk about having no argument. I'll ask again: what's your insider info that shows the Queen dictates to the COE? We'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 7:36 PM

"Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England". Try again, Church of England.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 7:36 PM

If only the holy men in religion, many of whom have taken a vow of chastity, would remain celibate.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 7:38 PM

Bye Bye, COE. Catholic church hopefully to follow.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 7:54 PM

r23 nice try, but I asked that of you. Where's your proof that the past hundred years of how the royals intertwine with the monied (the Tories) didn't happen? I'll wait.

According to you, THE QUEEN is a weak figurehead with no power over anything. She's just a helpless monarch!

She has a lot of influence and she, and the other top Royals, continue to use it behind the scenes. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 8:09 PM

This statement from men in dresses?

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 8:12 PM

R28 lmao

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 8:23 PM

R27, so far, you have done nothing to prove otherwise when I say the Queen is, indeed, a figurehead. (However, I didn't say she was weak or helpless. You said those things, not me.)

Until you can show that she has ever deliberately influenced an election, dictated policy to PMs, or made the head of the COE bend to her religious or moral beliefs, you have no leg to stand on. You say I can't prove her vast influence in government and society? Well, you can't prove with any actual, concrete evidence that she has that power or has exerted it in a Machiavellian or overt way.

And I'll say it again: PROVE she has. The onus is on you because you're the one claiming she's the decision maker over all these institutions. You make the charge--YOU prove it.

We'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 8:23 PM

One more thing for R27 to chew on, as he attempts to assert that the Queen runs the show in the UK. As I said, she doesn't decide who she knights!

And I quote:

"Does the Queen decide who gets an honour? No. In line with the Monarch's other duties, she acts on the advice of her ministers, who present her with a list of nominees each year for her approval. The Monarch's power to decide disappeared in the 18th and 19th Century, as government by a cabinet of ministers headed by a prime minister developed."

Can you read, R27? She doesn't even decide who she's knighting year in and year out. If she doesn't have the power to decide who she's knighting, you think she was telling Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair and now Boris Johnson how to run the government, as well as making the COE rules?

LMFAO. You, Sir, are the idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2020 8:35 PM

No sex for you!

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2020 8:57 PM

It’s a Christian Church. Less than two percent of all churches globally disagree with this.

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2020 10:43 PM

Says the church founded by a serial wife murderer.

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 10:53 PM

r31 thinks in black and white terms, since he simplified my very specific arguments to "the queen runs the show in England", which is not at all what I said.

Clearly he wasn't thinking clearly when he was angrily slamming at his keyboard, spittle flicking from his dry lips as he furiously banged out his lengthy screed, trying desperately to prove to someone on the Internet that he knew what he was talking about, dagnabit! He would NOT be ignored here, of all places, his safe space for his uninformed opinions to be treated as reality! He would NOT be challenged by a mere Internet denizen!

He has no idea what's going on, really, and probably believes the press stories about how the QUEEN is just a simple, dottering old granny who doesn't have any real power but the people just keep her there because shucks, it's tradition and she's so lovable!

Such a simple, simple mind.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 12:46 AM

So you have no argument yet again, R35. You have offered no proof that the Queen is calling the shots, and yet you keep banging on.

By the way, I was hardly "angrily slamming" at my keyboard. I was mostly laughing--at you.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote]Sex Nazi

My name is Legion.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2020 1:59 PM

How does this agree with the Act of Parliament under Queen Anne that allowed Church of England vicars to insert a potato into their anus on alternative Sundays from Whitsunday until the Sunday before the Saturday preceding the first day of Advent?

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2020 2:07 PM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote]Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England

Not it’s not, says everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2020 5:22 PM

The Church of Englands impertinence is showing, best not give dictates when you were only founded to pacify an egocentric gingers' entitlement towards his whores.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2020 6:10 PM

r36 it's quite amusing how much time and effort you've put into your posts thus far trying to prove your PR-induced delusions about the Royal Family. And how much your blood pressure has clearly spiked. Dance, dance for me!@ Bahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2020 6:45 PM

If I wanted to, I could have sexual intercourse with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2020 7:27 PM

The Queen is a constitutional monarch. She has no power except to advise, encourage, warn. All her public acts are done on the advice of the prime minister. She can knight people at her own discretion in the case of the Royal Victorian Order but would not do so if the prime minister objected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2020 7:33 PM

r44 no one said she did. However, she has a great deal of influence.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2020 7:35 PM

Where and when has the Queen shown herself to be influential R45?

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2020 7:39 PM

Dear Church of England,

Hold my head.

Fondest regards, Anne B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2020 7:42 PM

R10 Exactly. So sterile people, menopausal women or anyone using contraception shouldn't have sex either...

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2020 7:48 PM

Of course, nothing you say is true, R42. You might like to think my blood pressure spiked, sweetie, but no, I'm still just laughing at you. R44 gets it and is saying the same thing I'm saying. Poor silly you!

LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2020 12:32 PM

r49 are you still here? Sad!

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2020 7:58 PM

Apparently so are you, R50. Sadder!

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2020 8:00 PM

r51 this dead thread keeps popping up in my watched list because you have to keep coming back with your charm-free responses. ♾️ sadness!

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2020 8:02 PM

And yet here you are, R52, responding. VERY sad! LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2020 8:06 PM

r53 I'm unfollowing this thread, so I'll let you have the last word, precious! I hope you get chlamydia!

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2020 8:07 PM

Back atcha, hunty R54!

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2020 8:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!