Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retirement Question: Foreign Country Health System

I am retiring by 2022. Yeah!

I am hoping to have the experience of living outside of the US for 2 to 3 years but need to be in a country that has available low cost health insurance for foreigners. Someone I work with told me that Panama is trying to attract US retirees and has a program similar to Medicare for Americans there at a very reasonable cost. I am also open to Eastern Europe and even places in Africa. Someone else I know told me Ghana is a great place to consider.

I am 64 and in good health, just taking blood pressure meds. My goal is to be in an urban environment with interesting culture, foreign language, and activities to enjoy.

Any suggestions would be wonderful, thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 6:44 PM

Thailand

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 4:05 PM

I second Thailand. Costs are so low- for doctor visits and prescriptions, that insurance is not needed. Plenty of English speaking health care facilities. One of the top three for cosmetic procedures in the world as well. Great quality.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 4:09 PM

Yes on Thailand. Also yes on Panama, which is definitely trying to attract American retirees. A lot of countries are - Ecuador is another that's said to be full of American retirees. Try Internationalliving.com

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 4:19 PM

Very interesting thread. I’ve wondered about this too. There is no way I’d be able to afford retiring [b]and[/b] continue living in the USA. Still a few years off for me, but eager to read some of the (sane) responses.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 4:21 PM

Here's a link: Spain is #1 overall. Mexico at # 5 is the highest rated non-europeans destination. Thailand s #7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 4:26 PM

Spain is quite expensive though. Thailand is a lot cheaper, most people speak English and health care is really good. You can get a big house or nice apartment in Thailand for less than $500. Full meal/lunch for $3. I bet some freaks here also have the prices for random sex, rent boys, paid companions (or personal sex slaves).

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 4:35 PM

OP, do you look like the guy in the photo you posted? If so, I'll go into retirement with you. ;)

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 4:35 PM

Ghana ? are you fucking kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 4:41 PM

Spain and Portugal?

Spain would require probably a non-lucrative visa in your case, showing that you can support yourself to a certain standard from resources you have in hand or as a demonstrable income stream. Further you woul have to supply proof of private health insurance from a Spanish vendor equivalent to the national health service (full coverage, with €0 co-pays, and full Rx coverage); this however is quite cheap and easily available. Existing conditions exemptions may throw a wrench for some people but often there solutions to this stumbling block. After one year if there should be any problem securing insurance you can get it directly through the Spanish health service, again at very reasonable cost.

Portugal is generally similar to Spain on these points. It offers greater tax advantages and incentives to moving there and has programs to encourage.

Both countries have golden visa programs with similar requirements to invest €500,000 (or €350,000 for some urban areas in Portugal) in real estate; the Portugal program has an option to acquire citizenship in 5 years (Spain does not, but you could apply for citizenship after 10 years of residency).

Residency permits are relatively easy in either country provided you have a proper visa.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 4:41 PM

Thailand? No thank you.

100% humidity. fuck that!

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 4:43 PM

Costa Rica, Portugal. Cape Town maybe ? (Kinda far from everything)

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 4:45 PM

R10 The north; Chang Mai and Chang Rai are cooler and in the mountains

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 4:47 PM

I think you're mistaken R2. I just read an article about mostly elderly Danes who move to Thailand but don't have money for health insurance. They then find themselves fucked when they get chronic illnesses and need hospital care. Some of them are stranded in Thailand, and have to battle their illnesses at home with the help of friends/relatives, if they're lucky.

These are not rich people by any means but most of them have pensions.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 5:04 PM

That Robin dude liked it in Thailand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 6:10 PM

Mexicocity

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 6:12 PM

I believe Thailand requires expat retirees to buy insurance now.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 6:16 PM

A good starting point for information for potential expats that covers health care systems, residency requirements, citizenship, financial issues for many countries is Expatica.com. Their homepage for Health Care in Spain is shown at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 6:21 PM

[QUOTE] My goal is to be near desperate and low-priced rent boys.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 6:37 PM

Belinda Carlisle and her husband moved to Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!