Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bernie Sanders Once Compared Vermont Workers to Black ‘Slaves’

Tone-deaf Bernie strikes again. For anyone people of color who want to Bernie because he is"woke"--think again. This man refuses to live in the real world.

[quote] In one 1976 conversation, Sanders told a local newspaper that the sale of a privately held mining company by its founders harkened back to “the days of slavery, when black people were sold to different owners without their consent,” and compared the service economy to chattel slavery.

[quote] “Basically, today, Vermont workers remain slaves in many, many ways,” Sanders said in another interview in 1977, in which he compared the burgeoning service industry in the nearly all-white state to the enslavement of African-Americans at the nation’s founding. “The problem comes when we end up with an entire state of people trained to wait on other people.”

[quote] Sanders said. “If a worker at Vermont Marble has no say about who owns the company he works for and that major changes can take place without his knowledge and consent, how far have we really advanced from the days of slavery, when black people were sold to different owners without their consent?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 5:46 PM

*Edit: For any people of color who want to vote for Bernie because he is"woke"--think again.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 4:01 PM

:Yawn:

Bernie getting arrested for protesting on behalf of black college students in the 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 4:03 PM

Bernie marching in support of MLK and the Civil Rights movement....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 4:04 PM

Bernie leads another Civil Rights protest in 1962....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 4:08 PM

Pete buttigieg is still the racist one.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 4:10 PM

He's talking about wage slavery, a widely accepted concept. I'm a Warren supporter and even I can't get upset about this.

Yes, nice try, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 4:12 PM

Something tells me slaves had it a little harder than white Vermont workers. If you don't get why this comparison mindbogglingly stupid and shallow, you have other issues.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 4:15 PM

He very specifically says this is like actual slavery where Africans were bought and sold, R6. This isn't just a "wage slavery" discussion.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 4:32 PM

R8, the only people dumb enough to think white people suffering from "wage slavery" is comparable to the Trans-Atlantic slave trade are Bernie and Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 4:35 PM

It’s not bugging me because of his track record in civil rights. Suddenly they are mentioning this NOW? I call shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 4:40 PM

I don't care for the Sandernista, but 43 years later, his views may just be different.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 4:42 PM

"People working in a factory are equivalent to Jews in concentration camps." - Bernie Sanders

Is it offensive now?

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 4:43 PM

If someone believes that Vermont "wage slavery" is comparable to black slavery in their mid 30's when they were--according to their biggest fans--a "civil rights champion", there is something very wrong with them.

And Bernie doesn't have much of a record on civil rights--he didn't vote until his 40s and wasn't involved with the civil rights legislation.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 4:46 PM

What a dumbshit

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 4:48 PM

I'm sure the Bros will come up with some bullshit spin.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 5:03 PM

R15, they already have--see the first few responses on this thread. If you go to the Daily Beast on facebook, there are tons of those types of comments.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 5:05 PM

Cognitive Dissonance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 5:08 PM

I can’t believe people are still touting Bernie’s commitment to civil rights and then busting out those photos from the 60s as proof. At this point, all those pics tell me is that Bernie hasn’t done shit for racial minorities in the past 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 5:10 PM

Who's paying Scott Bixby to write all of these attacks on Bernie Sanders this week? Yesterday was his story about how the Bernie Bros are toxic and today is this flimsy thing about wage slavery.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 5:16 PM

0/10, Boris. This is not offensive.

You really don’t quite grasp the nuances of American culture, do you?

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 5:19 PM

Does anyone really think the soon to be octogenarian thee B's (Bloomberg, Bernie, Biden) will be the democratic nominee

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 5:24 PM

R5 BRO

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 5:25 PM

anyone who can't literally walk into their workplace tomorrow and tell their boss to eat shit and die is in a form of slavery.

slavery has existed nearly all of human recorded history, and has a variety of forms.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 5:35 PM

I thought the Bros were toxic before yesterday R19.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] Does anyone really think the soon to be octogenarian thee B's (Bloomberg, Bernie, Biden) will be the democratic nominee

No, hon, nobody thinks all three of them will be the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!