Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How does DL feel about transexualism?

Trying to get a sense of DL public opinion.

10 is most favorable (they're truly their self-declared gender, nonbinary is totally fine, they should be represented more in the media, etc.)

1 is least (think religious conservatives' takes on trans).

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2020 3:16 PM

On not AGAIN, please...

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 2:29 PM

Cheeto's gone too far in kicking out of the military. Not ok.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 2:30 PM

Antidisestablishmentarianism.

In 1526, a fast meal served to Henry VIII and Kathatine of Aragon included 'soup, herring, cod, lampreys, pike, salmon, whiting, haddock, plaice, bream, porpoise, seal, carp, trout, crabs, lobsters, custard, tart, fritters and fruit'. And this was just the first course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 2:31 PM

No one uses the term to describe humans anymore, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 2:36 PM

Even though it's DL, I'm surprised there are 1's here.

R4, which term?

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 2:38 PM

I'll pop the popcorn. 🍿💅🏻

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 2:41 PM

You forgot to include the square root of negative one as a possible answer.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 3:08 PM

R5 Transsexual. It's used to describe animals and other organisms that naturally change sex, but no longer for humans who identify as the sex/gender other than the one they were assigned at birth. For one thing, if you define sex genetically, it is impossible to change sex (yes, I know "sex" no longer carries the strictly biological definitions it did, though I still find them useful--especially to distinguish from gender, which is more clearly a socially constructed, culturally and historically variable set of characteristics). So, even those people who have medical interventions (hormonal, surgical) are described as "transgender."

I wish the gender/sex distinction hadn't become so blurred in language, as I think there are legitimate valuable distinctions to be made (even if one agrees with scientists like Ann Fausto-Sterling that sex is actually not as neatly binary as previously thought). Now, practices of the body and of society are being viewed as one and the same. No wonder people are confused and why young people who "feel" different from their more normatively-sting gender peers automatically assume they are in the "wrong" body.

Yes, I know, I am committing literal violence. I think people should have the right to do what they want with their bodies (to a point--I mean, I don't think they should have the right to assault other people with their bodies), but I think clarity of discussion is getting lost.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 9:04 PM

I had zero issues with trans people until I started encountering loons like this... A straight man in a dress telling gay men & lesbians how we should think & feel, don't you just love it? Note the special admonition for lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 9:14 PM

I suspect this is what most DLers think of when they think of "transexualism"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 9:15 PM

Being trans makes sense because there are clear parameters as to what it means—from my perspective, though, the "nonbinary" identity reads like a postmodern "everything is meaningless!" political statement. People who claim they are non-binary want to eradicate gender whilst meanwhile appropriating its tropes at their whim. They're having their cake and eating it, too. I don't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 9:34 PM

I don't agree with the concept and think people with gender issues are avoiding things they need to confront through therapy.

But I would never wish them harm.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 9:39 PM

I'm just not woke enough to deal with non-binary and gender-fluid, assuming those are roughly the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 9:40 PM

I totally forgot it’s called transgenderism now. Literally I’d temporarily forgotten that “trans” means “transgender” it when I wrote the OP. Wow my brain is... Yikes

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 10:31 PM

Meanwhile, in the real world, Jazz Jennings had to have a 3rd surgery, to try to get a functional faux vagina. It's scary what happens when kids are taught that accepting who you are means carving up your body or taking a fistful of pills every day, FOREVER.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 11:23 PM

Trans is easier to say, so why not say it?

Also, who cares? I don't get why other people transitioning is supposed to matter to me. Good for them, or not, or whatever. It has zero impact on my life.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 11:41 PM

Mainly I feel it's none of my business.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 11:44 PM

R16, because it's appropriate to care when male "trans" (and curiously not female trans) who don't even have any surgery, need to invade female spaces.

Because it's the return of gay being a "choice."

Because children are taking hormones and having life-altering surgeries before having fully-developed brains and life experience.

I remember seeing a This is Jazz episode where she has refused to undergo therapy (and medical professionals seem fine with that) but undergoes hypnosis. And what do you know, she had a past life as a gay boy whose family rejected him.

With the exception of male trans who marginalize women, I have compassion for anyone struggling with identity and trauma. But how people can be rushed through these surgeries is awful. It's not possible there are this many transgendered people. Something else is not being addressed and I wish it were.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2020 3:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!