Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US imposes visa rules for pregnant women on ‘birth tourism’

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration on Thursday published new visa rules aimed at restricting “birth tourism,” in which women travel to the U.S. to give birth so their children can have a coveted U.S. passport.

Applicants will be denied tourist visas if they are determined by consular officers to be coming to the U.S. primarily to give birth, according to the rules in the Federal Register. It is a bigger hurdle to overcome, proving they are traveling to the U.S. because they have a medical need and not just because they want to give birth here. Those with medical needs will be treated like other foreigners coming to the U.S. for medical treatment and must prove they have the money to pay for it — including transportation and living expenses.

The practice of traveling to the U.S. to give birth is fundamentally legal, although there are scattered cases of authorities arresting operators of birth tourism agencies for visa fraud or tax evasion. And women are often honest about their intentions when applying for visas and even show signed contracts with doctors and hospitals.

The State Department “does not believe that visiting the United States for the primary purpose of obtaining U.S. citizenship for a child, by giving birth in the United States — an activity commonly referred to as ‘birth tourism’ — is a legitimate activity for pleasure or of a recreational nature,” according to the new rules, which take effect Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156February 1, 2020 12:53 AM

Good! Start with Russia!

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 2:18 PM

Start with Latin American invaders!

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 2:21 PM

R2 You're an idiot. You think Latin American Invaders are applying for visas??

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 2:22 PM

R3 Asylum = visa by another name. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 2:25 PM

God, it's like we're inching closer and closer to Gilead.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 2:30 PM

I’m socially liberal but I cannot get behind Dem’s active denial that there is a very real problem of birthright tourism. My experience working with pediatric population is that this is an ongoing problem that is getting worse. Worse meaning now people are just openly flaunting it. Case in point, I recently had a 2-week old patient whose parents told me they traveled to California one month before the wife’s due date, with the goal of giving birth here so that the baby would be an American citizen. After arriving the couple, are are from Pakistan, stayed with the husband’s uncle.

Anyways the baby had to be hospitalized for a condition that we eventually found to be quite serious, serious enough to warrant lifetime surveillance and possibly requiring liver transplant when he’s older. The Pakistani couple was likely upper-middle or upper class in Pakistan because they acted very entitled. Almost from moment of admission to the hospital, they were demanding free food, medical services for the wife, and knew to ask for medical social worker to set the baby up for more services upon discharge. But the worst thing was that they treated the nurses like shit, talking down to them and getting angry when the nurses were assessing the baby.

That was just one recent instance that I have personally dealt with over the holidays. We just had another one in which we had a baby with serious heart defect, born to illiterate, illegal, single-parent Mexican mother. She got offended at me for not being able to speak Spanish when I first met her. The baby has been hospitalized for about 3/4 of his short life (4 months old). Talk about depleting our precious healthcare resources. A day’s stay at the ICU costs anywhere from $10k and up. Again the worse thing was also the mom being entitled, demanding nurses and social workers cater to her needs, getting freebies for herself and baby.

I used to be very liberal when it comes to immigration issues. I still believe legal immigration is a great thing. Legal immigrants have contributed to so much in this country. But I draw the line at illegal immigration. Working in healthcare, I know there is no way we can have universal insurance (which I support) without also clamping down on illegal immigration.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 2:52 PM

Interesting post r6. Nice to hear from someone who has direct experience with this.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 6:37 PM

R6 Maybe Democrats should take a second look at the birth citizenship issue.

There's a lot of nuances in what you posted.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 6:47 PM

How many of these "tourists" has Mar-o-Largo hosted/sponsored over the years?

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 7:09 PM

R6 is better known as: Nan, Freeper Candy Striper. What a vivid imagination!

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 7:14 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 7:28 PM

I’m the offspring of non-white immigrant parents. Legally immigrated parents. Nothing chaps my hide more than this birth tourism shit. It’s a huge loophole that is being exploited. I grew in up LA in the San Gabriel Valley and saw this shit play out every single day. It starts with the baby’s birth and all the free medical care that taxpayers like me are paying for. (Meanwhile, I’m paying thousands for my kids’ insurance). It also becomes a quality of life issue when a private home is converted into a secret maternity home.

Fast forward to when the kid is 17 or 18. As American citizens, they dance right in and apply to the UC’s for college. Mind you, they have contributed NOTHING to the system, but with their sketchy (purchased) academic credentials, are happy to take spots from lifelong state residents who have been obediently toiling away in public schools. The family shows an income near the poverty line, or near zero, because is the IRS really going to India or China to verify? Kid gets need-based grants and pays nothing for the college that my kid has to pay $35,000 for. Then, they apply and receive every welfare benefit available, from food stamps to housing to medical. EVERYTHING you would never be allowed to receive because you work too hard and your income is “too high.” You continue to pay income taxes; they pay none because, oh, no income. Adult kids then apply for their parents and next thing you know, here they are getting SSI, disability and Social Security, which they contributed nothing to. The parents apply for their other children and pretty soon, the whole damn family is here and you, the lifelong taxpayer, paid for it.

Very few developed countries allow for this unencumbered birthright citizenship. I would love for the constitution to be amended so that at least one parent is a citizen or permanent resident in order for their offspring to get citizenship. Right now, it’s blatant abuse of the taxpaying citizen.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 7:39 PM

R12, my father was a legal immigrant as a teen, who became a citizen via his service in the US Army in the Vietnam War. Never took a dime he didn’t earn, paid taxes, etc. He’d rail harder than anyone about illegal immigrants who didn’t immediately try to become citizens. His right to vote (which he didn’t have in the country he left) was precious to him.

And now we have a proposal for illegals to be able to vote in some elections here in NYC. He’s spinning in his grave right now.

And this is why Trump is going to win. I’ve got endless gripes against that pig, but I have to agree with him on this.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 7:50 PM

This is interesting because there was a big article before the election about Russian women flying in and staying at a Trump property in Florida for this reason. It was a huge business.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 8:05 PM

China too. Huge business in Queens nyc.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 8:28 PM

This is agree with

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 8:33 PM

Tell us about it, donald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 9:49 PM

Chinese birth tourism is big business in Hawai'i also. I believe the US Constitution would have to be amended to remove the anyone-born-on-US-territory-is-a-citizen clause, so I have no idea what a Trump administration could do.

Perhaps interestingly, Ireland had a similar constitutional guarantee but it was removed by popular vote in 2004 by a margin of almost 80% in favour of repeal.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 9:54 PM

R12

Very few countries worldwide offer birthright citizenship, but most (or maybe all) American countries do. It made a lot of sense in an era where newly independent countries needed more residents (especially to displace the indigenous population).

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 10:16 PM

Zelig is alive and well, trolling on datalounge; you'd be hard-pressed to find a more pompous, lying, longwinded, ceaselessly keyboarding bore outside the Donald White House.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 10:25 PM

It's blatant abuse and needs to be amended.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 11:15 PM

Also the son of legal immigrants and I think this is insane.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 11:32 PM

Ok R6. Great story. Those people are infuriating. There's those rude, entitled people and then there's nice people. People like my former coworker who's dad died of untreated hepatitis. Yes, he was an immigrant from Honduras. He held off going to the doctor because when he went people looked down on him, acting like he did not deserve healthcare. He could have been saved, because he had the same hepatitis condition my beat down trailer park living aunt did. Did she deserve to get Medicaid for free, for a questionable disability and sit around watching TV and chain smoking? Why does she matter more than their dad?

Now her dad is dead because of politics. He left because of violence. His 12 year old niece was raped and murder in the jungle. Rude people like those people you saw can be found in any color, and sure, let's stop the policies that enable people act like that. It seems to me we really need a world health care system, and to stop penalizing people because they cannot afford it, weren't born into it, or try to get it. There just has to be balance.

I think it's the next great human rights cause. People, no matter where they come from, will always need medical care. It's not right that some people can hop a plane and get it because they have money.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 11:47 PM

Liz and Bernie want anyone who wants to be able to stroll over the border and sign up for all the goodies of life: housing, health care, and food stamps. If you are working or middle class, you will pay. Not fair and not right to do to people.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 11:49 PM

^but obviously, when you get into world healthcare, you're going to get into two child limits for population control.

Buuuut, if the US would not prioritize military spending and build more hospitals, the problem could be solved. I don't know why we have to spend like we're the dam holding the world back from an inevitable WW3.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 11:54 PM

But Donald, where am I to have baby now?

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 11:54 PM

Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that wealthier people hope the problem of the poor go away by dying off? I know it sounds terrible, but I can't shake the idea that they actively hope these people fight each other, have plagues, die off.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 11:57 PM

As long as pregnant Trans men are still going to be allowed in...

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2020 12:04 AM

The GOP do not want to 'work with' the Democrats to find a solution, because they love having immigration as an issue. It's too valuable for them politically. George W. Bush tried to start a dialogue, and he was crushed by people like Ted Cruz and especially Jeff Sessions, who blockaded any efforts to start working on legislation. And behind Jeff Sessions was his Wormtongue, Stephen Miller. When you realize that it's extremists like Miller who control this issue, it's a waste of time for Democrats to even approach a dialogue or compromise.

by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2020 12:07 AM

R29 It really isn't that hard. Both parties want illegal immigration. Democrats want to change the demographics with their offspring while Republicans, and corporate democrats, want the cheap labor.

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2020 12:16 AM

R6 is some paid bot bullshitting us. This is, at most, a trivial problem. The big picture is this is just another front on the is"war" on immigrants that does nothing beyond make Trump's base feel good about being assholes.

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2020 12:18 AM

I think the future generations will look back on us having these fights about who deserves health care like we are barbarians. The way we look back on those who sacrificed virgins so the Gods would be appeased.

It didn't have to be that way! They will lament no one has to be sacrifed so the others can get healthcare. They will study this.

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2020 12:33 AM

r31 it is not a trivial problem. It is a flagrant abuse of the system, and the law. Other countries ended this many years ago, if they even had it at all.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2020 12:36 AM

Finally!

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2020 12:36 AM

Not Britain. They won't send you a bill even if you're foreign.

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote] I think the future generations will look back on us having these fights about who deserves health care like we are barbarians.

Whatever future generation we have to look forward to will be sacrificed due to substandard care.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2020 1:01 AM

A Somalian co-worker went to Egypt this summer and came back with a wife. Now she's 4 mos. pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2020 1:07 AM

Why is the care substandard?

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2020 1:12 AM

Ironic considering Trump has benefitted financially from birth tourism for years. His properties even had packages for rich Russians and Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2020 1:28 AM

R31: Bot or simple douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2020 1:36 AM

R23 Your story sounds like bullshit. He died because “people looked down on him?” Yeah, right. I’m sure when he went down to the county ER, they judged him out of the hundreds of other people just like him, getting free medical care. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2020 6:22 PM

R31 You’re an ignorant fool who hasn’t been touched by this issue. I have. This has been a problem for decades. I don’t know where you live but it’s causing a real burden in California. It’s a huge scam perpetrated on the American taxpayer.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2020 6:26 PM

Those claiming we should take care of those trying to game the system should work for free. Maybe then these people can lecture us about how awful people we are.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2020 6:42 PM

R31 is one of those idiots who resort to name calling or claiming you’re a bot just because the views and experiences don’t align with his own limited experiences.

I’ve posted stuff related to my nursing experience, from ER during undergrad to pediatrics when I worked as RN. I’ve been working as DNP now for past few years in California. I split my time between Cali and Texas.

I’ve encountered numerous patients whose parents are illegal, most are not assholes but they all present challenges in providing care. But don’t think that nursing staff are not aware of the ramifications of this issue. Most nurses that I know and have worked with are quite disgusted with it. They haul ass working 12-hour shifts and have to deal with challenges like having parents pissed at them for not able to speak Spanish. Or worse, now we’re getting parents who are illiterate in native Spanish. So nursing staff has to find ways to communicate with parents somehow, often this is impossible to do at nighttime when specified translators are not available. We’ve had a few patients whose mothers spoke Mixtec but were illiterate in Spanish. We had to set up a Mixtec translator to come the next day, and in the meantime I remember one of the moms (single) was accusing the staff of shit. The only thing we could understand was “You no take care of my baby!”

So yes, experiences like that do tend to wear down staff, even very liberal staff. When you start hearing otherwise socially liberal nurses bitch to each other about their tax dollars paying for medical care and social services for illegal immigrants, you know we’ve come to a breaking point. There have been times when half of the patients are strictly Spanish speaking, in fact it’s become more common. If there was unlimited resources and funds then it wouldn’t be an issue.

As for refusing to treat, that doesn’t happen nor should that happen. When a person requires medical attention it is in the best interest of society to treat them regardless of ability to pay or status. The problem as I see it is in chronic and long term care which can be costly to the system. It would make more sense to stop birthright citizenship as way to stop abuses under the system. Healthcare is a right but for citizens and legal residents.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2020 8:30 PM

^^^I’m also R6 and no not a bot

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2020 8:55 PM

A friend is an RN at Jamaica Hospital near JFK. She says several times a week women are admitted who take flights from overseas close to due date, check into a nearby hotel and show up in the ED when they're ready to deliver. What other countries have the "If You're Born Here, You're a Citizen" law?

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2020 9:57 PM

I am a bleeding heart liberal but agree we need to change the rules.

My issue hasn't been with the fact we need to modify citizenship or that the borders don't need to be enforced - they do. My issue has been the WAY it has been done/attempted. It's absolute cruelty, a lot of it.

We have smart minds and all kinds of technology. We should be able to resolve citizenship issues for those who are here and deserve it. Send back the criminals, and enforce new, simple, strong rules going forward.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2020 10:19 PM

Even a broke clock is right twice a day. And Trump is right about this.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2020 11:12 PM

Happens in Canada too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2020 11:15 PM

One way to eliminate the Anchor Baby system would be to require that "A newborn is automatically a citizen, when one of the parents is a citizen, native born or naturalized"

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2020 12:46 AM

Look this is what should have happened. Colonialism should have nicely built up these places, given back, built them enough schools, hospital and hot them going.

But they didn't so we have this. If only we had a time machine to go back and build up the civilization there that they come for here. In a nice helping way.

But that didn't happen. So until it does and things are equal to the point where no one has to do this, this is what you're going to get. The colonizers either should have left those areas completely alone so their way of life could go on, or built it up equally without any segregation.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2020 1:05 AM

Why does Costa Rica not have the problems it's neighbor's have?

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2020 1:09 AM

R50 Yes, I think something like that would do a lot of good. You'd still have people gaming the system but it would be a fraction of what it is right now.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2020 1:56 AM

Didn't there used to be a ban on late-in-term pregnant women riding around on airplanes? Who wants to deal with that at 30,000 ft.?

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2020 2:32 AM

Listen motherfuckers, I care about you. You're all going to burn in hell for your sins.

I'm angry you won't repent, bitches! I'm trying to save you from burning in hell, MOTHERFUCKA!

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2020 3:33 PM

R27, This somewhat ties into your question... I never understood why conservatives are so against free/cheap abortion. They don’t like poor or POC eating up the resources. They complain about the way they breed like rabbits. They’re loud, trashy and commit a lot of crime. Why wouldn’t these people want there to be fewer of them, then?

One argument is that we need cannon fodder for the wars from which they profit. Can’t ask rich white kids to sign up for soldier duty. Another is that they need cheap labor.

The changing nature of. Often warfare and robotic advancement might change things.

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2020 3:45 PM

[quote] And this is why Trump is going to win. I’ve got endless gripes against that pig, but I have to agree with him on this.

Trump cares only about enriching himself. He is a pathological liar and a con man. He continues to employ immigrants. He continues to increase H-2B work visas. Yet fools still pretend that he is a serious and legitimate leader. Under what other circumstances would a man with his history of buffoonery, lies and crime being trusted on any level? He’s pathetic, but the general public is even more pathetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2020 4:11 PM

I hope Trump has a painful end along with his cockroach family, but I agree with this.

by Anonymousreply 58January 26, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] So yes, experiences like that do tend to wear down staff, even very liberal staff. When you start hearing otherwise socially liberal nurses bitch to each other about their tax dollars paying for medical care and social services for illegal immigrants, you know we’ve come to a breaking point. There have been times when half of the patients are strictly Spanish speaking, in fact it’s become more common. If there was unlimited resources and funds then it wouldn’t be an issue.

How much does welfare cost the average taxpayer?

In 2012, the average American taxpayer making $50,000 per year paid just $36 towards the food stamps program and about $6 per year for the rest of the social safety net programs. Republicans say this is too much — cut it!

Corporate welfare, however, costs the average American family a staggering $6,000 a year in subsidies to Republican-friendly big business. The bottom-line is that American families are paying $6,000 or more per year to subsidize giant transnational corporations that are already making billions in profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 26, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] I hope Trump has a painful end along with his cockroach family, but I agree with this.

You agree with what exactly? Trump’s continued race baiting publicity stunts, as he continues to profit off of undocumented immigration and birth tourism.

Again, why is anything he says or does taken seriously?

by Anonymousreply 60January 26, 2020 4:32 PM

MOTHAFUCKAS NEED JESUS UP IN HERE!

And a rhubard bush fer mah friend!

by Anonymousreply 61January 26, 2020 4:35 PM

R60, I agree with ending all birth tourism, particularly, Russian and Chinese who are the biggest perpetrators. As a NYer, I see the abuse of the system, particularly with the former. It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 62January 26, 2020 4:40 PM

As a legal immigrant (took me 2 years in total) I don’t understand how anyone can defend illegal immigrants or those who come here to drop their crotchfruit. I’m very liberal but not when it comes to this topic.

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2020 4:42 PM

usa currently allows tourists from about 40 countries to enter the usa without visas.

most of these countries are from the all white EU, and white Aus and NZ

the 4 "nice" asian countries of Japan, S, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, make the cut.

Brunei is on the list probably because the Sultan own so many luxury hotels in the US

So in keeping with his racist and xenophobic polices, pregnant white women and some "good" asians can come here and anchor their spawn, but brown, black and muslim women can't? sounds about right for the rethug magats

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2020 4:43 PM

R63 you have a point but there's a line. When you refuse to help someone and let them die, that's murder. That's the line.

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2020 4:49 PM

White supremacist racism is destroying this nation. Not because immigration is not a legitimate problem that needs to be fixed, but instead because Americans are more racist than they are intelligent or informed. Racism is fueling the desperation that elected Trump. By the time you put your trust in a conman with a decades long documented history of both crime and incompetence. You’ve thrown all logic and any intelligence out the window and you’re not going to fix nor solve anything.

This country is in so much more of a mess because of Trump, from the deficit to our democratic institutions to our relationships with our allies and our standing in the world. And there will still be 12 million undocumented (mostly Mexican) immigrants and 40+ million Hispanic American citizens. We will have gained nothing but decline.

by Anonymousreply 66January 26, 2020 4:59 PM

R65 there’s no easy solution. Rules are rules and should be enforced. If people die because of their poor choices, then it’s on them. We can’t keep accepting illegal immigrants. That’s the truth. Playing on peoples’ emotions won’t solve anything.

by Anonymousreply 67January 26, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] [R65] there’s no easy solution. Rules are rules and should be enforced. If people die because of their poor choices, then it’s on them. We can’t keep accepting illegal immigrants. That’s the truth. Playing on peoples’ emotions won’t solve anything.

White supremacist racism is destroying this nation. Not because immigration is not a legitimate problem that needs to be fixed, but instead because Americans are more racist than they are intelligent or informed. Racism is fueling the desperation that elected Trump. By the time you put your trust in a conman with a decades long documented history of both crime and incompetence. You’ve thrown all logic and any intelligence out the window and you’re not going to fix nor solve anything.

This country is in so much more of a mess because of Trump, from the deficit to our democratic institutions to our relationships with our allies and our standing in the world. And there will still be 12 million undocumented (mostly Mexican) immigrants and 40+ million Hispanic American citizens. We will have gained nothing but decline.

by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2020 5:05 PM

R68 I don’t care what color these illegal immigrants are. You don’t have a solution so sit down and ship up. At least I have a stand.

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2020 5:07 PM

[quote] [R68] I don’t care what color these illegal immigrants are. You don’t have a solution so sit down and ship up. At least I have a stand.

You have an ill informed opinion and opinions are like assholes.

We need comprehensive immigration reform legislation, not Trump’s grandstanding stunts, designed to heighten racial tension and rally his white supremacist base. While he continues to profit from undocumented immigration.

Again:

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2020 5:22 PM

I don’t care if the Queen of England Herself dropped a crotchfruit on American soil. That baby doesn’t deserve automatic American citizen status.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2020 5:22 PM

Out of millions of live births every year the numbers (to the extent anyone has any here) are trivial. This is just the right wing troll game.

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2020 5:23 PM

R72 Birthrates among citizens are in decline. This should be an indication that the economy is going through a course correction. However, the number of "trivial" births is ensuring that the cost will continue to rise as quality of care goes down, even as citizens act more responsibly in regard to conservation.

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2020 5:27 PM

R72 I agree, the biggest problem are people just arriving and staying. No country on earth can sustain that. No-one.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2020 5:30 PM

R59 did you read my post or just skip to posting? I’m in healthcare, we see egregious cases of abuse and overuse of the system. Like I’d mentioned, a 24 hour stay in the ICU cost at least $10k, multiply that by 3-4 months out of a year where many of the sickest pediatric patients we care for, spend their time. Like I’d also said, it is quite the norm now for half or over half of our patients to be from strictly Spanish speaking homes, majority of them based on my experience interacting with them, are illegal immigrant parent(s). These patients often require lifetime surveillance in medical care, not to mention they qualify for lifetime SSDI. One of the last steps of discharge is to have our medical social worker help apply for SSDI for the patient, and apply for housing for the parents who will be caring for their kids.

And I’m not even talking about other services such as food stamp/ SNAP or ancillary services that I can go into nut it might be a little bit over your head since you don’t work in healthcare.

How is it fair that a child born to illegal immigrants (I refuse the term anchor baby because it’s offensive) automatically qualifies free medical care and housing over those who are citizens and who are in need of help? Take organ transplant list, it’s based upon severity after other criteria have been met. Is it fair that a child born to illegal immigrant parents get first dibs? Because under current system if all requirements are satisfied and the clinical situation is dire, then yes that patient gets say, a heart or liver, transplant over next person on the list who may just happen to be child of citizens or legal residents.

My other specialty is in psych, I’ve had patients who are on partial SSI and also work part time be on waiting list for years for public housing. Meanwhile I’ve seen in cases where the illegal immigrant families are set up with housing within weeks and months, simply due to the fact that they have sick children to care for. Is this fair? American citizen dealing with debilitating mental health problems who is also working, has to wait behind illegal immigrant families who also get free medical care for their kids?

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2020 5:38 PM

R75 no it’s not fair and needs to be corrected. The US is a nation, not a charity.

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2020 5:41 PM

"I’m socially liberal but I cannot get behind Dem’s active denial that there is a very real problem of birthright tourism. My experience working with pediatric population is that this is an ongoing problem that is getting worse. Worse meaning now people are just openly flaunting it. Case in point, I recently had a 2-week old patient whose parents told me they traveled to California one month before the wife’s due date, with the goal of giving birth here so that the baby would be an American citizen. After arriving the couple, are are from Pakistan, stayed with the husband’s uncle."

I'm a liberal but I enjoy recycling Republican talking points

"How is it fair that a child born to illegal immigrants (I refuse the term anchor baby because it’s offensive) automatically qualifies free medical care and housing over those who are citizens and who are in need of help?"

How fair is it to punish kids because you don't like their parents?

Gotta love the "liberals" complaining about this, but don't complain about cunts like Melania getting "anchor husbands"

by Anonymousreply 77January 26, 2020 5:44 PM

Long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 78January 26, 2020 5:44 PM

R77 People who marry into citizenship are at least assimilated or in the process of assimilating into the country. And those citizens who do marry non citizens at least have a choice. Sure, a tiny percentage may profit from arranged marriages but what is being described here is much more of an epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2020 5:49 PM

R77 People who marry into citizenship are at least assimilated or in the process of assimilating into the country. And those citizens who do marry non citizens at least have a choice. Sure, a tiny percentage may profit from arranged marriages but what is being described here is much more of an epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2020 5:49 PM

R77 Who is “punishing” the kids? Do you have a reading comprehension problem too? I said it is in best interest of society to treat all regardless of ability to pay and status. My issue has to do with stopping the problem in the first place e.g. birthright citizenship.

“Not liking the parents” well yes when healthcare providers are overworked and have to deal with entitled assholes who are openly flaunting it, taking advantage of our system, then yeah we’re going to bitch about it among ourselves and opine in message threads. This is because there are people like yourself who don’t see what is really going on.

by Anonymousreply 81January 26, 2020 5:53 PM

Everything is going to be fine. I would still rather live in America and believe that people, no matter what color they are, can have a shot than give into a white decline panic and flee to somewhere like Australia. Forget that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 26, 2020 6:45 PM

[quote] And I’m not even talking about other services such as food stamp/ SNAP or ancillary services that I can go into nut it might be a little bit over your head since you don’t work in healthcare.

[quote] My other specialty is in psych, I’ve had patients who are on partial SSI and also work part time be on waiting list for years for public housing. Meanwhile I’ve seen in cases where the illegal immigrant families are set up with housing within weeks and months, simply due to the fact that they have sick children to care for. Is this fair? American citizen dealing with debilitating mental health problems who is also working, has to wait behind illegal immigrant families who also get free medical care for their kids?

You're a nurse but your race baiting and scapegoating are your true specialties. Take undocumented immigrants out of the equation, the United States still has a healthcare crisis and California still has a housing crisis. Undocumented immigration and "birth tourism" are problems that like the healthcare crisis, and to some extent CA's housing crisis, driven by corporate greed. Wealthy Republicans like Trump, are enriching themselves by employing immigrants (which initiates their immigration) and by also grandstanding on their fake opposition to immigration. Abuse of any of our systems and institutions is not fair. However, most of the "unfairness", most of the abuse is initiated and perpetrated by the small percentage of extremely wealthy people, at the top (like Trump), who own everything and run everything. That is the real source of our problems, not the number of chronically ill immigrant children we treat.

Again:

by Anonymousreply 83January 26, 2020 6:47 PM

R82 I don't care about the race. I do mind if someone who is here to take advantage of our system expects us to cater to their every wish including speaking to them in their native tongue.

by Anonymousreply 84January 26, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote] Undocumented immigration and "birth tourism" are problems that like the healthcare crisis, and to some extent CA's housing crisis, driven by corporate greed. Wealthy Republicans like Trump, are enriching themselves by employing immigrants (which initiates their immigration) and by also grandstanding on their fake opposition to immigration.

How is his post race baiting? He said he was a liberal and probably didn't vote for Trump. It is you who is trying to obfuscate the issue. It's only too easy to blame Trump when California's leadership has failed to do anything about it for the last few decades.

by Anonymousreply 85January 26, 2020 6:52 PM

If the policy proposed only applies to countries that currently require tourist visas then like most everything the rethugs do, it will be racist and discriminatory since visitors from "white" countries can now enter the USA without visas.

by Anonymousreply 86January 26, 2020 7:00 PM

[quote] [R82] I don't care about the race. I do mind if someone who is here to take advantage of our system expects us to cater to their every wish including speaking to them in their native tongue

[quote] How is his post race baiting? He said he was a liberal and probably didn't vote for Trump. It is you who is trying to obfuscate the issue. It's only too easy to blame Trump when California's leadership has failed to do anything about it for the last few decades.

People say a lot of things here that are not true.

Republican talking points prefaced with: "I'm a liberal" are still Republican talking points. Either you don't understand what the real issues are or you just don't care. Thanks for coming in to defend Trump. Blaming Trump and holding him accountable for his actions are 2 different things. It's not just Trump.

Again:

Undocumented immigration and "birth tourism" are problems that like the healthcare crisis, and to some extent CA's housing crisis, driven by corporate greed. Wealthy Republicans like Trump, are enriching themselves by employing immigrants (which initiates their immigration) and by also grandstanding on their fake opposition to immigration. Abuse of any of our systems and institutions is not fair. However, most of the "unfairness", most of the abuse is initiated and perpetrated by the small percentage of extremely wealthy people, at the top (like Trump), who own everything and run everything. That is the real source of our problems, not the number of chronically ill immigrant children we treat.

Again:

by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2020 7:01 PM

People of Earth. Why do you not want your humans to get health care? We evolved into give mind synchronicity thousands of millennium ago. Our closest star burned out and our eyes evolved into large black irises.

Everyone in the galaxy laughs at you. In other galaxies no one has heard of you. Such an unintelligent, backwards shithole little planet. No, please continue to destroy yourselves for our entertainment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 26, 2020 7:22 PM

This is one thing I agree with him on.

by Anonymousreply 89January 26, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote] Republican talking points prefaced with: "I'm a liberal" are still Republican talking points.

Irrelevant as most people don't think in either/or absolutes. It's as ridiculous as claiming that someone who registers as an independent has to completely sever any party affiliation even though we understand that independents tend to lean either conservative or liberal. What we're actually discussing is the impact of bipartisan policy proposals.

[quote] It's not just Trump.

We can agree on that.

[quote] Again:

Repeating something over and over again doesn't make you more of an authority. People have already addressed your statements.

by Anonymousreply 90January 26, 2020 7:44 PM

My well-off Arab cousins have all done this albeit in Canada. It's so common where I live. If you have some money saved up and a wife that's expecting, you head straight for Canada or America.

by Anonymousreply 91January 26, 2020 7:52 PM

R87 “ People say a lot of things here that are not true.”. Yes, including yourself, glad you’re admitting it.

Are you offering anything to counter my experience and views, other than masking with belittling, putting words in my mouth, and false assumptions? Universal healthcare is a fucking right, but for citizens and legal residents including legal immigrants. Universal insurance can remain solvent and provide adequate services while it is open to illegal immigrants, many of whom are enticed by birthright citizenship as well.

You deliberately conflate those who are against abuse of our system with Trumptards. I’m sorry if that wasn’t your intent, in which case you’re just too dumb to be posting here or any political threads. In fact, I think you’re on par with deplorable Trumptards because you latch onto a dogma, you rally and demonize those who have differing views, experiences, and solutions. A complex issue like illegal immigration deserves rethinking and implementable approach that should be fair to everyone. Not insistence on dogma at the expense of fair, workable policy going forward. All I see you doing to accuse people whom you disagree with as Repugs or deplorables. Good luck thinking you’re going to win over arguments by acting like a jerk.

Trump is the straw man here. One of the main reasons he got elected is due to him exploiting the problem of illegal immigration. That the problem exists and the fact that Trump is a fucking demagogue are two separate matters.

Develop a path for citizenship for the illegal immigrants who are here now, provided they undergo proper screening for criminal records. End birthright citizenship because the time has come to do so. Continue to promote legal immigration with focus on skilled immigrants like they do in Canada, Australia, and parts of Europe. Continue to welcome refugees who have passed appropriate screenings.

by Anonymousreply 92January 26, 2020 7:58 PM

^^^meant to say universal insurance cannot remain solvent....”

by Anonymousreply 93January 26, 2020 8:00 PM

As somebody who also works in healthcare, [R6] speaks the truth. The worst Ive heard of is in California, Ive heard all the horror stories frm colleagues who live there. I have found also that in the midwest, immigrants have generally been appreciative. I have to say though that entitled rude people are everywhere, no matter what race, educational attainment, or socio-economic class, assholes are everywhere, I cant pinpoint a single race or social class anymore because just about anybody can be decent people or assholes.

by Anonymousreply 94January 26, 2020 8:09 PM

I love the immigrant uncle toms here, thinking themselves better than everyone else, almost as pathetic as the grandpas here living their privilege and calling lazy everyone who can't even afford healthcare.

For starters universal healthcare in most countries work for everyone, including immigrants or tourist. If you're in an accident in a country with universal healthcare you'll be treated the end. I go to Brazil every year for lots of check ups and dental care, because it's cheaper and way better than the US. That said.

I'm the poster with all those passports. It had finally come a post where I'm actually the subject matter. I'm literally the byproduct of birth tourism. My parents came to the US only to have me and grant me an US citizenship, same for my two siblings.

Unlike all the poor uncle toms upthread, we come from very well off families. We entered the country with a tourist visa, usually for shopping and doing prenatal stuff in the US. Then we are born. Not a secret. Getting visa to the US is really hard. Visa holders are vetted so many times it's not even funny. My cousin got her visa and the consulate knew intimate details of her life and of that my family, is bizarre.

This is a ery lucrative business and anyone with a brain knows, all this Trump shenanigans is for show. American wouldn't survive a year without illegal immigration, the economy depends on that. Close the borders and turn this into Saudi Arabia an watch it implode from the inside. How naive are you people?

I can't speak for the Russians or Chinese coming in, but the Brazilians coming here to birth are all Caucasian, very rich and most if not all of them own at least one property in the US by the time they contact a birth agency. It's of my experience no one gives a fuck because the people giving birth here aren't brown or poor, so for them it's irrelevant. Never witnessed white Latin Americans suffering discrimination in the US. They usually blend in, learn the language and you can't tell them apart from the average white American.

I think this is just another PR nonsense from the Trump machine. If there's one thing this idiot wouldn't oppose is white immigrants with money.

This is the reason why I said I had an American, Brazilian, Italian and Israeli passport. The world is multicultural already. If you know how to play your cards.

by Anonymousreply 95January 26, 2020 8:16 PM

R64” the 4 "nice" asian countries of Japan, S, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, make the cut.”. Well yeah it must be nice to live in stable, democratic countries without high percentages of terrorism-sympathetic populations. Though I’d be a bit scared if I lived in Taiwan, seeing its close proximity to China and China constantly threatening to invade. China more pissed off now due to Taiwan reelecting their lesbian president (everyone in Taiwan knows she’s a lez).

by Anonymousreply 96January 26, 2020 8:18 PM

R92 acts like a jerk but accused other people of doing that. You're a racist Trumpster parroting right wing talking points.

You guys go off on poor Mexicans but don't give a shit about white people who immigrate under false circumstances like Melania

by Anonymousreply 97January 26, 2020 8:32 PM

R92 isn't big on the constitution. The constitution gives us birthright citizenship. You Trumpsters are big on the second amendment but ignore everything else in the constitution

by Anonymousreply 98January 26, 2020 8:35 PM

R95 I really don’t get what your post is trying to say, except that you think White Latins are blending in and that perhaps Russians and Chinese are not. Umm, no. The Chinese who fly here to California are considerably richer than Brazilians and South Americans. I’m talking about $20 million is considered poor, okay? What happens is in SoCal a rich Chinese couple (or just the woman) will come and give birth, they pay cash for OB services. Before that or afterwards, they’ll purchase (with cash) a property like a condo or house to set up roots for the future. The child might come back to go to high school here or he/ she may come back for college. By that time these rich Chinese will have purchased more properties; they’ll also come here once or twice a year to inspect rental properties etc...Good thing is they do pay high property taxes. Bad thing is they inflate property prices so that natives are often priced out and there are members of the community that are basically absentee members.

As for assimilation, well that’s up for interpretation. SoCal culture is already a hodgepodge of LA, Mexican, and Asian. You also can’t look at an Asian person snd assume that he’s an immigrant. For example there are sizable numbers of 4th-5th generation Japanese-Americans there, many of whom still operate family farms.

The Japanese-American immigrant experience is interesting in that they assimilated into American society but were discriminated against, singled out in fact during WW2 by the government with Supreme Court reaffirming it. Today there is of course racism partly driving Trumptards’ opposition to illegal immigration. However, that does not take away from the fact that illegal immigration is a very real problem. Therein lies part of the complexity.

by Anonymousreply 99January 26, 2020 8:42 PM

R98 is a moron who thinks the Constitution should be static. If he lived during times of slavery, he’d be supporting the 13th Amendment, I guess. The Constitution should and can be amended due to changing times, applying principles to reflect progress and address challenges being experienced by society. If you don’t know that already then you are dumber than you come off here so far.

by Anonymousreply 100January 26, 2020 8:47 PM

I was just giving my perspective as someone who is in fact a result of birth tourism. My point is that just like Brazil, the vetting process is equally harsh on Russians, don't know about the Chinese, so the people who actually get the privilege to do it are usually well off. For once, you can have a child spending nothing at the public health system in Brazil, many friends of mine have, but if you go to the US you're gonna spend 4 time more than a private hospital back in your home country. So the people doing birth tourism are upper class people. You need a lot of privilege to do it. It's safe, it's no illegal and is expensive, like very expensive. My grandparents paid for me to be born in America, my grandpa once told me he spent close to 100k dollars for me and my siblings. So the treatment you get is different, no one treats you with disrespect, the immigration police is actually nice to you etc. It's a completely different experience altogether.

As for assimilation, I can asure you Brazilians are the Latinos that easily assimilate, specially white Brazilians. Most of the time you don't even know they're Brazilians. There's a language distance, since they don't speak Spanish but Portuguese and the upper class Brazilians coming to America are already snobs back in the country, so they don't even consider themselves latinos in America.

That's just my perspective of someone who lived this experience and has relatives and friends who did and are doing too. Theyre not even remotely scared with this new directive from Homeland Security. This is all a matter of class much more than it is a matter of race. You focous on China, but Brazil remains being the third largest luxury market in the world. There are a LOT of rich Brazilians and upper middle classes and unlike the Chinese, Brazilians are westerners and blend in.

by Anonymousreply 101January 26, 2020 8:55 PM

[quote]This is one thing I agree with him on. —Anonymous

that it's ok for pregnant women from europe, australia and new zealand to come and have anchor babies here, but not brown black or muslim?

you must be a republican

by Anonymousreply 102January 26, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote] except that you think White Latins are blending in and that perhaps Russians and Chinese are not

Didn't say that, what I said is that I wasn't privy to their experience, learn how to read. Also, before the Russians, Brazilians were the number one group doing birth tourism, hence why I was born. Culturally speaking as someone who worked with Foreign exchange students in universities for decades, Brazilians do assimilate much easier than Russians who clamp up into groups and couldn't care less about learning proper English.

One could make the argument that Brazilians think themselves better than latinos, they don't even consider themselves to be latino and are desperate to speak fluently so they can pass as natives so no one will ever know they weren't born in the US. That's another conversation however.

by Anonymousreply 103January 26, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]And Trump is right about this.

Question is why now? Trump has benefitted financially for years on birth tourism. His resorts actually sold packages for wealthy Russians (big surprise) and Chinese.

He's only doing it for his optics.

by Anonymousreply 104January 27, 2020 4:47 PM

r104 is correct

by Anonymousreply 105January 27, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote] [R87] “ People say a lot of things here that are not true.”. Yes, including yourself, glad you’re admitting it. Are you offering anything to counter my experience and views, other than masking with belittling, putting words in my mouth, and false assumptions?

You continue with your diarrhea of the mouth, spouting Republican talking points and proclaiming your expertise (which is obviously limited to spouting Republican talking points, while patting yourself on the back) in an attempt to counter a pro undocumented immigration and pro birth tourism argument that no one here has made.

Most Americans do not support undocumented immigration, much less birth tourism. Those of us who have functioning brains know that Trump is not serious nor legitimate leader. He is not fixing nor helping solve the problem. He and many wealthy Republicans like him are the source of the problem. Again they profit from the problem and they profit from their opposition to the problem.

I’ve already stated that comprehensive immigration reform legislation is what is needed.

by Anonymousreply 106January 27, 2020 6:52 PM

You can't banish issues by calling them white supremacy or republican talking points. If anything you empower those forces because they're the only ones putting forth solutions to problems you want to pretend don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 107January 27, 2020 7:31 PM

I went to medical school and residency in LA. I worked at hospitals where over half of my patients spoke Spanish. I enjoyed working with this patient group and was not treated badly/disrespected by Latino immigrants. I also recognize that this group's hard work is responsible for putting fresh fruit/vegetables on my plate for a reasonable price and allowing me to eat out in restaurants, wash my car, etc. Of course they should have access to low-cost healthcare, given their enormous contribution to the economy of California.

It is the huge appetite for drugs by Americans that drives the violence in Central America and leads people to want to come to the US for survival reasons.

by Anonymousreply 108January 27, 2020 7:42 PM

I mean racial issues happen and I don't think we should have people be separated. You cannot have a great place to live and a shit place to live and tell people to live in the shit. You got to go in and clean up the shit. If you don't like people from the shit coming then do something to make the shit go away. Building a barrier so they die drowning in the shit is an option but not a good one in my mind. Because you could have done something but you didn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 27, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote] You can't banish issues by calling them white supremacy or republican talking points. If anything you empower those forces because they're the only ones putting forth solutions to problems you want to pretend don't exist.

Who is attempting to “banish issues?. I personally acknowledged the problem, and the root causes and the potential solution. And again no our grifter con President is not providing solutions. His white supremacist rallying stunts are not a solution. They are designed to rally his base not fix immigration. He cares only about enriching himself and his crime family’s criminal enterprise. He continues to profit personally from employing immigrants over Americans, increasing H-2 B visas and birth tourism. He also continues to personally profit from his anti immigrant rhetoric.

I called out the Republican talking points because that is exactly what they are. I identified Trump and his supporters as white supremacist because that is what the are.

Next . . .

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2020 9:25 PM

[quote]You can't banish issues by calling them white supremacy or republican talking points

Except that we can because Melania Trump herself along with her parents and her dead MIL came here in a questionable way. They were all essentially illegal - they just happen to come by plane rather than climb a fence. And you know what Trump supporters said when told that Melania -who frankly is the type of immigrant we DON'T need considering we all know how she made a living- had a questionable immigration status/record? "At least she's white." I'll never forget the assholes who said that as they were walking to another Trump klan rally. I always remember them saying it with big smiles on their faces to the reporter. They weren't ashamed to admit precisely what this was about.

Stephen Miller himself doesn't hide it either. None of them do. Some of the most vile, criminal immigrants are the Eastern Europeans living in NYC. Do you see that asshole Trump ever mention them?

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2020 2:13 AM

proposed policy doesn't apply to white europeans, slovenian whores still get preferential treatment '

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2020 2:33 AM

I think the idea from Trump and his followers is no po' folks but rich folks welcome.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2020 2:45 AM

I too am a liberal Dem but from the time I heard about birth tourism yeasr ago, it infuriated me. Im glad they are going to clamp down on it...our citizens have to come first...waiting....

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2020 2:52 AM

Here come the bots who insist they are liberal while repeating right wing talking points.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2020 3:01 AM

No r115. I have voted the Dem line since I was 18 in 1974. There are still certain policies we have that go over the top...birth tourism is one. Any sane American, left or right should be appalled by it.

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2020 3:13 AM

r116 isn't a sane American. If you were you'd be outraged by Trump's hypocrisy on this issue

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2020 3:15 AM

r3 a lot of upper middle class brazilians hire agencies to visit the US and give birth. it does happen and quite often.

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote]I too am a liberal Dem but

No you're not

[quote] from the time I heard about birth tourism yeasr ago, it infuriated me. Im glad they are going to clamp down on it...our citizens have to come first...waiting....

Come first for what? You make it sound like if a child is born here from a foreigner it automatically steals some god given place to another child, also born here. What kind of moron thinks that?

Please enlighten me how my being born in America under birth tourism, which I was, impacted you or anyone else.

You might have missed the part that birth tourism is so expensive it's designed for rich people to become citizens and then send their rich relatives to study and work here later. It won't change, no matter how much buzz this is making to satisfy stupid Trump voters. You sound like one.

I came to America my freshman year of high school. Since I came from a private Brazilian school I graduated on the top 5% since the Brazilian school system is much harder and better. I went to the public school at my area where my parents had bought a house decades earlier in Maryland. I went to NYU and my grandparents paid for most of my tuition. I was awarded a small scholarship on Academic Merit.

I've assimilated quite easily. I was already speaking fairly good English and lost my accent within a couple of months. Most people just assume I was born here my whole life, being white helps. I still suffer from some cultural shocks many decades later but for the time being, it still beats living in current Brazil.

Now please tell me why my life is of your business or a threat to your existence

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2020 5:00 AM

Because it's not right, r119. Gaming the system is not right.

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote] I too am a liberal Dem but from the time I heard about birth tourism yeasr ago, it infuriated me. Im glad they are going to clamp down on it...our citizens have to come first...waiting....

Restricting certain countries, while allowing some of the biggest offenders, Russians and Asians to continue is not a "clamp down." It is a stunt, like the wall, and the rest of Trump's bullshit, designed to rally his idiotic base. Trump is not solving anything. He is not fixing anything. How stupid can you folks who continue to prop him up as some sort of legitimate leader, really be? This is coming from a can man who rakes in money from birth tourism.

Trump has one objective and that is to make himself richer. When he is done trampling over our constitution and destroying our democratic institutions. When he is done destroying our foreign policy and our relationships with our allies. When he is done selling us to Vladimir. Guess what. There will be just as many undocumented immigrants here as there were before he took office. The mythological white white whiter than the current 70+ percent world, for which you decided was worth sacrificing our democracy, is never going to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2020 8:09 AM

It is interesting that there is an onslaught of these threads tonight. And on both, there are the same "professionals in the medical field" spouting the same Trumpian points. Some of the information those"medical professional" people are saying is incorrect. One keeps saying that we offer universal health care in this country. We do not - nowhere close. He also says that health care is a universal right. That's nice in theory, but it's not supported by any US legislation. The constitution cannot be changed by Congress - nor by the President, nor by the Supreme Court. There has to be an amendment that passes both houses of Congress and then needs ratification by 37 states.

I would be shocked if birth tourism results in more than 100,000 births/year out of total US births of about 3.8 million. That would mean that no more than one birth out of 38 is through birth tourism - and I'm including in that, babies of people crossing the border illegally, which is about 2.5% - a miniscule percentage. I'm sure it's higher in Texas and California and maybe Florida - but far below that in most of the rest of the nation. That being said, it seems reasonable to try to discourage the most egregious examples of it On the other hand without immigration and births even by these birth tourists, the US would already by in population decline, because birthrates among native-born Americans are below replacement level and life expectancy is dropping. Just look to Japan and most of Eastern Europe to see what happens to economies when the population begins to contract. Everyone assumes that living standards would rise without immigrants- but when 30% of the population is over 60 years old, there aren't enough workers to care for the elderly, never mind to contribute taxes to maintain the economic health of the country itself. That is already the situation in Japan and is the reason that their economy has stagnated for the past 20 years. Japan has been forced to cut and cut its elderly "guaranteed" pension over the past decade as its population ages.

We're in an odd time now, where half of the world's population lives in countries that have declining or soon to be declining populations, (including China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand) and half live in countries that are rapidly increasing in population. No one knows how this will play out in the long term. It seems clear that the "losers" in the economic game will be those countries who adamantly refuse to allow immigration - at least or until some economic system that doesn't rely on constant population growth, as capitalism does, comes along to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2020 8:11 AM

Here in Europe most people I know who are American citizens by birth or because one of their parents is American are trying to give up their citizenship due to the huge taxes they have to pay to the US even though they've never really lived there and have no intention to. The fat fuck prime minister of the UK being a case in point.

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2020 8:21 AM

A decline in birth rates is not a bad thing. Automation is only going to become more pervasive in first-world countries.

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2020 1:48 PM

A bigger problem are “tourists” coming and never leaving. It’s a problem for all of us, not just Repigs. We all suffer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote] Stephen Miller himself doesn't hide it either. None of them do. Some of the most vile, criminal immigrants are the Eastern Europeans living in NYC.

You mean the Jews right? Ironic that you accuse others of race baiting when you're doing the same exact thing.

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2020 3:15 PM

I'm baffled how anyone could read this graph of California's population growth and think it is in any way sustainable, especially when you factor in automation and lack of low income housing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2020 3:30 PM

R119 Why do you keep insisting that you were accepted here only because of your skin color when it could have been based on merit? The fact that you were already fluent in English is already a tremendous advantage.

R121 You know this was an issue before Trump right?

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2020 3:41 PM

It's ok r27, California's population is declining.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2020 4:22 PM

I hope the Coronavirus targets the troll who's advocating abuse and violence against people not like them. Maybe that's what China was working on. A way to get rid of Nazi trolls. Clap👏👏clap clap if it works!

No... this is wrong. I recant. This is the way of the Sith. I shall use my Jedi mind tricks to overcome the dark side.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2020 4:36 PM

I've heard from old-timers that California was fabulous in the 60s and 70s. It was crowded, of course, but not the giant clusterfuck it is now. Jobs were plentiful and you didn't have to be wealthy to live a comfortable life. They've told me it all started going to shit in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2020 5:31 PM

R119 Glad you’re a filthy rich Brazilian who’s grandpa paid cash for all of your expenses. The vast majority of birth tourists are not from your strata. They can afford a plane ticket and stay with relatives during the pregnancy but they’re not rich-rich. They don’t pay the medical bills and then when their kids come back, they scam the system for benefits and free education.

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote]I came to America my freshman year of high school. Since I came from a private Brazilian school I graduated on the top 5% since the Brazilian school system is much harder and better. I went to the public school at my area where my parents had bought a house decades earlier in Maryland. I went to NYU and my grandparents paid for most of my tuition. I was awarded a small scholarship on Academic Merit.

Fuck you and fuck your grifting, scamming family. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2020 6:26 PM

R119, so you’re proud you gamed the system to get in? Your family might have money but what they did was TRASHY.

by Anonymousreply 134January 28, 2020 6:28 PM

R106 Again you show your willful ignorance by not refuting anything, putting words in my mouth, and brushing aside my experience as Trumptard talking points. You are just as bad as the deplorables who support that orange fucktard.

R119 Again I’m not sure why you keep highlighting your Euro-Brazilian and privileged background at the same time proclaiming immigrant experience by telling others that they’re racist. It’s like you want the best of both worlds on this issue.

R108 As a physician you may have a different experience interacting with patients, not saying it’s less trying, just different. It’s a shorter and less personal interaction than inpatient nursing staff, generally speaking. Inpatient nursing staff spend more time with patients. 12-hour shifts caring for the same patient/ family on a regular basis if they’re chronically-ill, can be trying on another level particularly if they also present psychosocial challenges. As you know from working in healthcare, you treat patients and families all the same even if they’re assholes. It’s just what we do as professionals. I’ve experienced it on both sides both as former RN and now as DNP. In my DNP capacity I do what I can for patients and exhausting that, I walk away and collaborate with other members of the team to facilitate the most optimal approach and solutions. But I do get to step out. Unfortunately the bedside RNs are stuck with demanding and entitled patients and families due to the nature of their job. Many patients and families show respect to physicians and NPs while not reserving the same to bedside RNs. It is why a lot of patient horror stories are from nursing staff. There is lengthier and more personal level of interaction as well as less respect/ more abuse leveled against nurses. All of the nurses that I know have been either verbally or physically attacked by patients or families, and no not talking about illegal immigrants but patients in general.

by Anonymousreply 135January 28, 2020 7:37 PM

R132 doesn't have the stats to back up his claims

by Anonymousreply 136January 28, 2020 8:11 PM

go back to Brazil r119 You're a leech

by Anonymousreply 137January 29, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote] go back to Brazil [R119] You're a leech

I'm an American, so I'll stay here thank you. As for being a leech, of what exactly? I've spent here in one semester of higher education what you probably made in the last three years before taxes combined, so chances are, you're the one leeching off your terrible social security system on some SNAP benefits or whatever not me. Go work on your inferior complex with a therapist. Not my fault you belong to the populace.

Were you under the impression my parents didn't pay taxes during my high school years here? Really? I lived on an upscale neighborhood in Maryland, dude. We paid lots of taxes to be here. My front door neighbor was a consul to a northern European nation, get a fucking grip, Mary. I don't think I'm better than anyone based on my background, but implying I was leeching a system is ridiculous, fuck you.

[quote] Why do you keep insisting that you were accepted here only because of your skin color when it could have been based on merit? The fact that you were already fluent in English is already a tremendous advantage.

Where did I say this? I've said because of my privilege things were easier and the same goes to all birth tourist kids because birth tourism is designed for RICH foreigners as only privilege people get the chance of a visa.

[quote] The vast majority of birth tourists are not from your strata.

Yes they are and here it shows how clueless you are on how hard it is to get a simple regular B1/B2 visa to visit the US on tourism or business if you come from a developing nation. Why do you think Mexicans cross the borders through the rivers, if it were so simple to get a stupid visa, have you even given thought to that? Guess not.

You clearly have no clue what type of foreigner gets the privilege of a simple tourist visa. The consulate requires you to prove you have enough money to travel and they go as far as asking you to prove you have a job to return to and they need bank statements proving you have twice as much money required as a per diem minimum for each traveler. It's harder to get a US visa than it is applying for a fucking loan, most people are rejected. I have relatives that had their visas denied more than 8 times, get real. Let me remind you Brazil, China and Russia are not bordering the US, so this alone should give you a clue on how much one would have to spend to get a ticket, let alone convincing a consulate you are deserving of a visa after all the vetting process described above.

I'm sorry (not really) to say but your blatant ignorance comes from privilege you're too stupid to even realize you have.

by Anonymousreply 138January 30, 2020 12:53 AM

r138 you family still bought their way into the US and bought your way into an education that bumped an American kid out. Yes, you're shameless grifters working the system. But because you're "upper class" and have money there should be exceptions?

by Anonymousreply 139January 30, 2020 12:58 AM

R138 be triggered.

by Anonymousreply 140January 30, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote] Fuck you and fuck your grifting, scamming family. Seriously.

Ah, the wrath of the riffraff. How exactly am I a grifter? Are you mad because my parents invested on my education? You should be fighting for a better basic educational system, which right now is a fucking joke, it's not my fault I was smart enough to ace it without much effort. Guess what? All those Chinese immigrants, they'll do it too even easier than I did. Like me, they were learning in 8th grade what your stupid system believes to be Advance Placement for Seniors. It's that laughably bad. hahahah

My Freshman year, I got an A- in AP English my first semester and I wasn't even fluent in English yet, though I spoke it fairly well. I wrote the best essay on Conrad's Heart of Darkness and I was the only foreigner whose English wasn't the first language. Are you jealous of that too?

[quote] [R119], so you’re proud you gamed the system to get in? Your family might have money but what they did was TRASHY.

I gamed no system, I was just born. Lets not forget nothing my parents did was illegal, so, I see no gaming here. Are you jealous my parents had more vision than yours? I sense you do.

By the way, I would've gotten into the US regardless because I excelled in academics and my grandparents were rich enough to send me to America as a foreign exchange student hadn't I be born in the US and I would've gotten into NYU same way.

My cousin was sent to the US as foreign exchange student by the same grandparents willing to pay her way. All she had to do was getting into a good college, but she couldn't even bother to learn English to get her SATs, so she's now married to a conservative Jew living like property. Priorities.

I got into Tisch because I have merit and talent, not because my parents birthed me in the US, get a clue. I would've gotten either way. There were more scholarships for poor Latinos from developing nations than to Americans, so...

Is there anything else you couldn't get yourself you want to blame me for? You sound like Trumpsters blaming foreigners for your shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 141January 30, 2020 1:18 AM

We really need more entitled South Americans in the US who look down on Americans.

by Anonymousreply 142January 30, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote] We really need more entitled South Americans in the US who look down on Americans.

White Brazilians and Argentineans are more entitled than the KKK and any white supremacist group, trust me on that.

by Anonymousreply 143January 30, 2020 1:30 AM

As we've seen with this poster, r143.

DON'T call them Hispanic or Latino! They're Europeans who live in South America, as far as they're concerned.

by Anonymousreply 144January 30, 2020 1:34 AM

This is what I think. It's not just a matter of being super smart and super wealthy. It's about generations. People whose GGGGG...grandparents came over on the proverbial Mayflower, making them 25th generation U.S. citizens, whose grandmothers and grandfathers fought in each war so people are able to sit in comfort now, eating pizza and playing Wii, while texting on their cell phones, really really resent these newcomers who come right in from another country, who don't care to speak English, yet...demand all of the rights and respect given to said 25th generation citizens.

What right do any of us have to loaf around and work hard at only our comforts when our ancestors struggled, fought, and died their whole lives to make the USA a desirable place to live for all of us in the world? This is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 145January 30, 2020 1:51 AM

They see the US as a money-making opportunity and have no interest in participating in the cultural life of the US, or American society.

Of course, not ALL of them. Many immigrants are thrilled to be in America and participate in American society. It's the cunts like Brazil guy and his family who, from his posts, seem to have a "what can you do for me?" attitude, and fuck everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 146January 30, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote] They see the US as a money-making opportunity and have no interest in participating in the cultural life of the US, or American society.

Whose fault is that? You make it sound like America sells itself to the world as some hub of cultural exchange and hospitality (some countries, including Brazil sell themselves that way). However, America sells itself as a major individualist and capitalist society where you can make a lot of money and mind your own business.

The experience of an immigrant here is maybe make a lot of money but never fully integrate because the locals are racists and individualists and won't welcome outsiders. The problem is more on you than the immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 147January 30, 2020 4:03 AM

Bullshit, r147. Americans are known to be welcoming. And since you've pointed out several times that you're a white Latino and can even pass for "American" you should be at the top of the pyramid.

by Anonymousreply 148January 30, 2020 4:38 AM

This rule change does not move needle much , so wouldn't break out those bottles of champagne just yet.

New rule only applies to consular officials screening applicants for visas. Unless DT manages to also change Department of Homeland Security (DHS) who controls airports, ports, and other points of entry any pregnant woman with a valid visa can still legally enter USA.

Also this rule change does not affect various EU and other countries part of USA visa waiver program who don't need a visa to enter for tourist purposes. Again unless DHS begins screening women at points of entry and denying if they are in a family way.

Furthermore many visas are granted for long periods of time, ten or so years. Thus if say some tech person from India has a valid visa and either herself becomes pregnant, or a man brings his spouse (legal partners/spouses often are routinely issued visas), then that will be that.

This or as in case above of Pakistan family; it can take years to get a visa for family member to visit USA. All anyone need do is wait until after visa is approved, then get pregnant. Long as papers are in order at time of departure and arrival in USA again unless DHS steps up their game based on this rule change, said pregnant wife/partner will be able to enter USA and while here give birth.

None of this touches all those foreign students in USA on visas, who in theory don't need to leave if they become pregnant.

Finally this whole business of births resulting from illegal or temporary residence on US soil resulting in automatic citizenship has never been tested nor upheld by SCOTUS. There is a considerable number of legal scholars and lawyers who believe 14th Amendment does not offer such protection. Some in that circle have been pushing for years to get Congress to enact legislation that would settle the matter (subject to POTUS signature and or veto override) which would surely put legal challenges in motion which would sooner or later settle matter once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 149January 30, 2020 5:20 AM

R119 there's this thing called brain drain. You clearly are depriving your BR citizens of your brain.

What if every BR citizen did what you did? You could have gone and given back to help BR thrive. Instead you left for money. You suck and all the jobs you could have created in BR are gone.

No wonder Brazil is such a shithole. Instead of making it great, people leave for a bigger slice of pie. You do get what would happen if EVERYONE did what you did? Brain Drain = shitty countries.

by Anonymousreply 150January 31, 2020 2:32 AM

I'm sure you go back and visit for Carnival right? Get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 151January 31, 2020 2:32 AM

What a bunch of pathetic losers worked up over a legal immigrant doing his thing. You sound like Trump supporters. Nothing the Brazilian guy has said had any impact on your lives. He pays taxes, works, whatever.

Brazil is far from a shit hole, as a part Brazilian I like Brazil just as much as I like America. You all sound like a bunch of bitter octogenarians Tea Party goers.

I guess immigration does force you to show your true colors after all. You have a lot in common with the despicable man in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 152January 31, 2020 7:21 AM

The "despicable man in the White House's" grandfather from Germany arrived penniless trying to avoid the draft and taxes. He gradually accumulated enough money to make it out to Seattle, where he, with some partners, opened a hotel which was rumored to be used primarily for prostitution, and a couple of restaurants. He sold his stake in the hotel just as a big crackdown on prostitution hit Seattle. He tried to return to Germany with his American wealth, and was DEPORTED, because the government there recognized that he had broken the law in running off to American in the first place. That's what makes all these restrictions and prejudices all the more ironic. The Trump family is the very epitome of the kind of people he is trying to keep out.

by Anonymousreply 153January 31, 2020 8:25 AM

r153, no, he wants to keep non-caucasians out. But he can't come out and say that. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 154January 31, 2020 8:48 AM

R152 Wrong. BR is bad. My ex bfs mom had been robbed and screamed for help. Some police came and asked what happened. She told them she had been robbed and they scoffed like that's all? You weren't raped.

Go live in Brazil if it's so nice. Of course you won't. The Sugarloaf Mountain and natural wonders are nice but the people are so poor. My ex roommate was 50 years old and came back with a Brazilian girl who was 20. She married whatever American she could to get away. Then she divorced him a few years after. If it were so nice, wouldn't she go back? Surely the world's most beautiful country would draw her back wouldn't it?

Sure, it's nice for you with money. Your slimy ways of gaining wealth. At least have the decency to help your own country, but you people don't even give a shit about them and to that's why your country sucks. Pretty soon all you rich cheating fucks are going to conglomerate into your own rich paraiso, taking all your fucking wealth while the poor die in the streets. I hate you rich fucks. You're as good for the world as Satan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 31, 2020 9:01 PM

Blah blah blah R155. I’ve been spending summer vacations in Brazil at my grandparents since I was a toddler and I’ve lived in Brazil for 2 years as a teenager so I can assure you your idea of Brazil based on some bad touristic experience is dumb, just dumb. No one of my Brazilian family has been victim of any crime or violence, the country is not a tv movie.

Americans have a very myopic idea of what Brazil, a huge country is. You can’t fathom, out of stupidity that you can actually live well and safe in the country. My Brazilian grandparents lived most of their lives in Sao Paulo, the largest city in South America. They’ve never been robbed, mugged or been subjected to any violence. Yes they lived in nice middle class neighborhoods, still. If you knew what you’re talking about you’d know that violence in Brazil is concentred on urban areas around the slums. The biggest victims of crime in Brazil are actually poor Brazilians living at the slums and in poverty. Their biggest perpetrators aren’t thieves or drug lords but the police, that’s the statistical reality of the country. Violence is highly concentrated in big cities, the country has around 5 thousand cities to choose from.

Currently even my American grandparents live in Brazil, one of the reasons I’m half Brazilian is because my grandfather was an anthropology professor guest teaching in Brazil, my mom met my late father through mutual academic friends of my grandpa.

My grandparents would never go back to Providence, even though they love Rhode Island. Why should they? They live in a small town of about 100k people in the state of Minas Gerais, a small tech hub in a valley, surrounded by mountains, fresh air, great food, no violence, no slums, the poverty you see there is in rural areas, as you’d see in the midwest, lots of waterfalls and where you can even freeze your ass during winter as it gets as low as 28. The town has first rate infrastructure, a major public university that brings lots of foreigners to town, it has a shopping mall, a public park that rivals American parks, two major movie theaters and the best part? A first rate public health system. My grandma gets a monthly shot for her disease paid by the government that would cost her 20k a year in the US. She gets it for free, in the US a single Simponi shot costs around 5k, try to beat that. The town also has a major medical college so the public health system is backed by the school. Brazil is more than the tragic fantasy you see on Fox News or your boyfriend's moms experience.

That’s the reality of many cities and even states in Brazil. If you think Brazil is just a huge City of God movie you’re just an idiot. Rio is a chaotic city right now, I’ll give you that, but even in the state of Rio you’ll find nice towns with no violence and good infrastructure.

For the record, I’m an American with a Brazilian father, though I love Brazil and have lived there, my country is the US, where I was born and raised.

by Anonymousreply 156February 1, 2020 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!