Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help me find the name/ trailer of late 70s/Early 80s Italian Jesus Christ Superstar Rip-Off!

I saw the trailer years ago and it’s so bonkers that it doesn’t feel real! The “star” is a tall skinny Jesus lookalike with a name that sounds like Wana Gwana The trailer shows all kinds of carousing set to a disco beat. Jesus and his impossibly glam gang doing preposterous dance steps in m the desert! Please help if you can, it’s driving me nuts!

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2020 8:44 PM

I'm usually good at tracking down stuff like this but you have me stumped. I have been reminded that when JCS became a hit there were many imitations, rip-offs, homages and parodies. I wonder if its something you saw from Italian television? Or even a commercial or something?

????

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 11:58 AM

I found this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 12:13 PM

Omg, for years my best friend has insisted something like this existed...but with Sammy Davis, Jr. in it? Any idea what this might be? She thought SDJ was in JCS, but he definitely wasn’t so it must have been something else, maybe the same thing you are thinking of, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 12:20 PM

[R2] for the win. Do you know how many sleepless nights I've had because I couldn't figure out what this dam movie was called?

LOL THANK YOU

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2020 8:08 PM

I need to see this movie!

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2020 8:15 PM

[R3] All I can think of is that Sammy Davis Jr. played a preacher/pimp in the Sweet Charity movie musical a year or so before Jesus Christ Superstar. Similar vibe.

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2020 8:43 PM

Whoever decided Awana Gana had "Star Quality" should be boiled in oil.

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2020 8:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!