Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retinol - NO MORE!

Tired of using Retinol or Differin for 15 yrs. It’s stripped my skins protective layer, made my skin very sensitive and susceptible.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2020 12:26 AM

OP, you're an ugly, acne scarred git.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 10:48 PM

Take a break for sure. I did and started using it again after several years. I love Musely. It is prescribed online and comes in an emollient base. I use it every other day, but started our using it once every couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 10:49 PM

I've been using either tretinoin or tzarorac for over thirty years and no one can tell me shit about my skin. My skin looks fucking fantastic. That's not to say that I look 25; however, my skin is great for my age and I attribute that to nightly use of retinoids.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 10:53 PM

How much has that cost you, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 11:50 PM

It ruins skin in the long run. Breaks down skin protective barrier and causes the epidemic of sensitive skin that has risen in the last several years.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 11:54 PM

I had no idea we're in the midst of an epidemic of sensitive skin. Is there a charity I can give to?

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 11:56 PM

I've been using Retin-A for 20 years. It works. And it's ok to apply around your eyes, per my dermatologist's advice.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote]It ruins skin in the long run. Breaks down skin protective barrier and causes the epidemic of sensitive skin that has risen in the last several years.

Not according to my dermatologist. Where is your proof?

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 12:21 AM

R8, I’m not alone in my assumption.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 12:42 AM

How do you know it's not Time itself that has ravaged your skin. *Fifteen years* may be the operative phrase rather than the drug names, or did Madame X think they were going to keep her young and supple forever?

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 1:21 AM

R4 It is sold in a set with an SPF day cream and a cleanser for $82

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 1:24 AM

OP, were you using store bought retinol or a prescribed form such as Retin A?

I’m considering going on a prescription, but I do love a good horror story if anyone else has some.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 2:29 AM

I was using a prescribed retinol for over a year. I stopped using it after it gave me freckles, where I had none before. My doctor said that can happen rarely. I am one of the rare ones it seems.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 2:35 AM

Differin is so mild, OP. You must be one of the unfortunate ones who can’t tolerate retinoids. You’ll just have to go back to basic bitch skincare, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 3:13 AM

[QUOTE] was using a prescribed retinol for over a year. I stopped using it after it gave me freckles, where I had none before. My doctor said that can happen rarely. I am one of the rare ones it seems.

If it gave you freckles, OP, then you were failing to use a daily sunscreen. If you're using a retinoid then you absolutely MUST use a daily sunscreen religiously. Failure to do this will not only negate any benefits you might get from the retinoid but also damage your skin; to wit: your freckles.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 2:56 PM

OP, I’ve been using Retin A since my mid 20s. It works, and does so quite well.

Here’s the trick my dermatologist suggested, which also works, btw: use it with your moisturizer. As in, place a drop smaller than the circumference of a dime, on the palm of your hand. Once you’ve done that, place a drop of your moisturizer, of the same size, mix them together with a tiny spatula, made specifically for this. La Mer offers a tiny spatula when purchased, however, you can by one online via Amazon.

Now, place tiny portions of the mixture on your face, e.g., your forehead, cheeks, nose, jawline, etc. Now, gently rub the dots of the mixture, into your skin.

It’s perfectly fine to apply around the eyes, IF applied with the moisturizer.

Make sure to use sunscreen daily, even if it’s cloudy, raining, or snowing. Drink lots of water to help seal in moisture. Eating salmon 3-4x weekly, also helps keep your skin plump, & it’s good for your brain.

If you haven’t oily skin or acne, a tiny amount of Vaseline on your face, is great for day wear, and locking in moisturizer. In the evening, I use Nivea, ordered from Germany, NOT Mexico, via Amazon. I also use it after applying the Vaseline during the day.

The Vaseline is something I use mainly during winter months in order to combat dryness. It’s not usually warranted during the summer months.

Also, per my dermatologist, it’s OK to use this mixture on your forearms and hands. Just make sure to wear thick, white gloves when driving, and long sleeved shirts whenever possible.

My dermatologist is now in her early 70s, and honestly, she looks like she’s in her 50s. She’s been doing this for decades. Her clients range from people like me, to celebrities, & the celebrities she treats look FANTASTIC, so she knows of what she advises.

Good luck! 👍🏼

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 3:19 PM

I have used it. Honestly couldn’t tell much difference. Maybe after years. But I don’t have the patience to use it every night before I go to bed. Barely have the discipline to brush my teeth. For the few months I used it, it just dried out my skin. Never noticed major improvement in skin tone,

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 3:29 PM

R17, the 1st 3 to 6 months of Retin A are almost always a nightmare regarding dry skin. If you use it without moisturizer, which is perfectly fine, too, then you have to push through the dry skin timeline, and get to the other side.

The dry skin effect will dissipate, but it will usually be an issue for most people for the first 3-6 months.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 3:35 PM

R17, btw, the positive results regarding skin tone, or firmness, take place within 1.5 years to 2 years of consistent use. It’s a bit of a wait, but it does happen.

You will DEFINITELY notice it around the eyes, as in eyelids and lower lids. Make sure to apply it with moisturizer around the eyes/eyelids, or it WILL totally fuck up your eye area.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 3:43 PM

Looking at the start of creases so I’m thinking about taking the plunge, but leery as I have horrible experience from using Isotretinoin orally as a teen (under poor Dr. supervision, led to liver & psych issues).

Is it safe for me to use retinols? I’m concerned my body would accumulate and I could go into vitamin A toxicity again...

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 3:48 PM

Ugh - it seemed like I get much faster results with dermabrasion - rather than using it every day for 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 3:53 PM

R20, ask your doctor and have labs performed. Only your doc knows the answers to your questions, obviously. 😘

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 4:21 PM

Destroys the protective barrier of your fucking face!

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 6:26 PM

No it doesn't R23. Stop spreading specious science. Or post a link to a respected, peer-reviewed medical journal backing your claims.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 7:10 PM

I use Retin A and will be going on a beach vacation next month. Should I discontinue and resume the Retin A when I get back or just keep using it on vacation with tons of sunscreen?

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 7:34 PM

Pro-tip: Don't use it on your neck. I made that mistake and the itching was unbearable. I looked like Babs Wittkopf, the inflamed librarian from the "Well I Never in All My Life" video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 8:06 PM

If you’re gonna use prescription retinol products, extra sunscreen is not only recommended but essential because without your protective layer you will get skin cancer or pre-cancer if you do not. Those with light hair colors and fair complexions are more susceptible.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 9:12 PM

R25, discontinue use of 2 weeks before your vacation. Do NOT use it during your vacay.

I am iffy about using it during the summer, period. Sometimes i’ve not used it all summer long. If I know I’m hitting the beach regularly, I stop using it and jUst pack on the sunscreen, which I do, anyhow.

I think that the biggest “secret” to great skin is sunscreen. It’s the one thing I’ve done consistently, since my early 20s, and today, I see the results.

Sunscreen rocks.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 6:04 AM

I use retiin-a, and although I have sensitive skin, it doesn't cause any irritation at all. My skin is soft but it's man skin, so it's not delicate. I can exfoliate, use salicylic acid and retin-a to strip away any wrinkles and fine lines.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 6:16 AM

I agree...the neck can rash up and itch like crazy. It does improve the neck and chest area, so I tried it again in super small doses and can tolerate it just fine in those areas. Retin A is honestly the best skincare you can get besides laser, filler, and botox.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 11:01 AM

R29, I love that you said “man” skin.

Kinda hot... LOL!

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote] Retin A is honestly the best skincare you can get besides laser, filler, and botox.

Not one of those things qualifies as "skincare." (sic)

They are all abusive to one's skin. "Vanity care" would be a better term for Retin A, laser, filler, and botox. They all compliment your vanity, even as they eat away at your skin.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 1:09 PM

Only sodium hyaluronate and salicylic acid for me now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2020 1:32 PM

I've been using differin and benzo-clin for about a decade now. There are some days my skin feels sensitive but mostly it's fine. My skin is clear and glows.

I was using Vit A too for a while, but felt that my skin didn't need any extra chemicals so stopped.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2020 1:38 PM

My cats are requesting pancakes. Would the tiny spatula work for that, R16?

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 1:40 PM

I think people blame the sun too much for skin aging (unless you happen to be fair skinned). I've heard that diet and genes affect skin sensitivity toward the sun, and that gradual exposure will build more tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2020 1:41 PM

[quote]I think people blame the sun too much for skin aging

I don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2020 1:43 PM

R37 Yes, but he happens to have cheap skin. Of course the sun does play a role which explains that, but I think it's more complex.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2020 1:52 PM

[quote]I think people blame the sun too much for skin aging

R36 is in denial. There's nothing good coming out of exposing yourself to sunlight for longer than 5 minutes a day so that your body can make Vitamin D: aging, skin cancer or sunscreen in blood stream. Just look this up "Sunscreen is absorbed into our blood."

And to hell with "gradual exposure will build more tolerance." LOL. Not more, according to this truck driver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2020 2:09 PM

Retinol saved my skin

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2020 2:36 PM

R39 There's a difference between gradual exposure for moderate time and having your face in the sun for all day daily like the truck driver. Some dermatologists want to scare people into thinking any outside exposure needs sunscreen. It's more about profit.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2020 2:43 PM

Having a vitamin D deficiency is miserable. I felt really sick and didn’t know what was wrong until they did blood work. Now I’m in the sun everyday, with sunscreen. My mood improved too. Everything in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2020 2:51 PM

The key is a happy medium. Baking for hours slathered in baby oil isn't healthy but neither is complete sun avoidance. And I'm not slathering on spf 50 to check the mail .

I don't doubt that the sun is a factor in aging but I have questions about the efficacy of most American sunscreens. I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a major set of lawsuits a couple of decades down the road towards companies that use ingredients like oxybenzone, as consumers realise that these products either don't work very well at preventing skin cancer or expose users to other problems as the chemicals enter the bloodstream.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2020 2:59 PM

R40 what improvements did you see? And do you have sensitive skin before? Do you use otc retinoids or prescription?

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2020 3:15 PM

R35, well, since nobody rides for free (your pussies included), pay up, & Amazon will send you one, so that you can find out!

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2020 5:20 PM

I rub Retin A into my asshole!

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]Differin is so mild

Yeah, I remember trying it once and thought it was worthless.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2020 9:54 PM

Tazorac gel 0.05% will blow your mind

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2020 10:40 PM

I use A313. It can bought over the counter in pharmacies in France. I order it online.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2020 11:04 PM

It helped with my acne and reduced my forehead lines. I use good old differin from the drugstore @R44 My skin isn’t sensitive

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2020 12:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!