Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pop stars don’t have the spark they did in the past

They used to be so fucked up, weird, insane, unwarrantedly pretentious, hilarious, argumentative, etc.

MJ even without the pedophilia is such a weird freak. Madonna faked a fucking British accent for years for giggles and I’ve never seen someone derive so much pleasure from public scorn. Mariah was a shady bitch right out the gate and that nervous background was something else. Miss Ross has a stick far up her ass and is never letting it go. Prince is the sassiest Queen to ever be considered a heterosexual sex machine. If I didn’t know who Whitney Houston was and you told me her interviews were performance art, I wouldn’t question it. Even Celine with her boring ass music is an entertaining coo coo bird. I could go on and on. Nervous breakdown Britney was the last time a Pop Star was entertaining off stage.

The pop stars of today are either whining about something or mindlessly promoting whatever crap they have coming out. Even the druggies are boring.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2020 5:41 AM

You mention all those people, but fail to mention the only one to have a #1 album in each of the last four decades??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 6:00 PM

The pop stars of our day were always immature and annoying, but we were immature and annoying too back then, and we thought they were great.

It's what getting old is all about.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 6:01 PM

I think there are a couple of differences in today's society. First, there's social media/internet which has decreased the "distance" between them and the public. Whereas MJ and Madonna were pop stars who seemed otherworldly, that's not what pop stars even seem to strive for anymore. Their goal is to try and get "closer" to their fans and audiences because that is how buzz is generated now. Second, I think society just ages slower than past generations. The emphasis on youth means that the pop stars we like seem even more youthful and immature. As society is aging slower, it seems to mature slower as well.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Who dies today choking on their own vomit?

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 6:17 PM

The Millennial generation is soft and I hate them.

There's no counter culture anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 6:30 PM

Didn't Freddie Mercury greet the audience by saying he'd like to have sex with every one of them? And then to his best to live up to his word?

Nobody's got that kind of chutzpah today.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 6:31 PM

Celine Dion was entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 6:42 PM

R1 YAAAS HUNTY! GET THEM HEIFERS!

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 6:45 PM

OP’s ostentatious thread title reminded me of something one of you glorious degenerates said not too long ago, that ‘Kevin Jonas has the low spark of high-heeled boys’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 10:43 PM

r1 She’s boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 2:40 AM

Nailed it. Pop stars are more and more just studio creations. They aren't authentic. That is the problem. All the people OP mentioned were authentic whatever their behavior. And they had star quality. You cannot teach it. Most stars today are given their stardom with an army of paid for positive articles with the best spin corporations can buy. Nothing is authentic now.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 2:45 AM

I also think they aren't allowed to speak their mind or say or do anything too edgy or controversial. People are always one Twitter boycott away from being "canceled" forever. They have to walk on eggshells and can't really be their true selves because God forbid they offend anybody. I would not want to be famous this day and age for that alone. You aren't allowed to have any sort of personality.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 2:50 AM

Who is the one Janet Stan left that keeps trying to make her a thing on DL. She’s proof that black people can be boring too. And she has the whisper giggle voice of a white girl.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 3:01 AM

The Four Heavenly Kings of Pop music are The Beatles, Elvis, Madonna and Michael Jackson. It’s very unfortunate that there will probably no one will ever reach to their highly super greatest legendary iconic status

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 3:03 AM

Sorry for the grammatical errors

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 3:05 AM

r14 That's true.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 3:06 AM

Um, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry...need I say more? There are plenty of great pop stars still around.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry

Who????

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 5:16 PM

🎶Well I’m going on the T-V noooooow..🎵

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 5:32 PM

r18 People are already saying that about Katy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 8:38 AM

r1, I didn't know Miss Piggy had so many #1 albums.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 9:11 AM

There are plenty of big pop stars at the moment. R14 listed a lot of them. The problem is that none of them have the same level of mystique and reverence that people like MJ and Madonna had. Beyonce probably comes the closest given her level of fame and cultural influence.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 9:21 AM

Oops, I meant R17 listed a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 9:21 AM

Blame it on social media. EVERYBODY is talented, hot and can sing. We just didn't not before the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 9:38 AM

[quote] They used to be so fucked up, weird, insane, unwarrantedly pretentious, hilarious, argumentative, etc.

We politely disagree.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 9:43 AM

Idiot OP: " ... is an entertaining coo coo bird."

The word you wanted was "cuckoo."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 10:14 AM

Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish both have that spark.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 12:38 PM

r27 Is that sarcasm?

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 5:41 PM

It's just poster girls and boys for the producers now

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2020 5:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!